USMLE Official 2019 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started.
M2. Mid Tier everything.
Entertaining some surgical sub-specialties.

Goal 270
Happy with 245

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
For those taking step after the new nbmes come out, which old ones will you be taking?

Thinking ill get all the new ones and three old ones. Was thinking 16 17 fore sure and not sure on the third one. I know ill get my hopes and dreams crushed by 19, but at the same time i may need a lil fire under my butt at the beginning lol.

Thoughts?

I’m definitely NOT doing 19 lol.

Reactions: 1 users
For those taking step after the new nbmes come out, which old ones will you be taking?

Thinking ill get all the new ones and three old ones. Was thinking 16 17 fore sure and not sure on the third one. I know ill get my hopes and dreams crushed by 19, but at the same time i may need a lil fire under my butt at the beginning lol.

Thoughts?

I'll be doing 16 and 18 as well as all 5 of the new ones and the 2 UWSAs

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be doing 16 and 18 as well as all 5 of the new ones and the 2 UWSAs

Yeah i think ill do something similar, probably buy 16 17 and 19 first since i think theyre keeping 18 around. Then buy the rest when the time comes!

I think you have the right idea. Although 19 is tough to stomach it might be by far the most high yield practice exam to take. It is the most recent practice exam put out by the NBME so theoretically should be the most representative of what a 2019 exam day will look like.

I was also worried about taking it. Just don’t let the score throw you off too much. Set your expectations low and you’ll be fine. Focusing on exams that inflate (UWSA1 and 2) and ignoring exams that are harsher will just inflate your “average” practice scores and make you more confident than you probably should be.

Yeah haha i think you’ve convinced me, i dont think my ego will be too bruised as long as I go into it with expectations that it should be lower. I think I’ll do that one first as well so I don’t get overly anxious about it as well. Planning on getting a baseline either two weekends from now or three, can’t wait to be in your shoes done with this monster lol

Thoughts?

I only knew about 3 new ones coming out and finding out that another 2 are coming out kinda ruined my plans. I bought all the old ones so I'm definitely gonna do these.

I thought of basically solving 16+20, 17+21, 19+2̶2̶ 23 (OCD kicking in lol). I'm gonna pair these and do them back-to-back on 3 non-consecutives days in between 15 and 5 days out. And I'm gonna probably do 18 paired with free 120 2-3 days out.

I know this sounds like an extreme approach, but I think that having simulated the exam 4 times before test day will boost my confidence and dispel any doubts about stamina being a factor.

Plus I think that doing more practice questions works as a better revision. Rereading FA seems to have little value for me at this point since I 've done 3 passes in a span of 7 months. I use it a reference right now while doing UW and it's mostly a hunt for obscure details that I missed on a first glance. Like clomiphene causing visual disturbances or thiazolidinediones increasing the risk of fractures :wtf:

Reactions: 2 users
I only knew about 3 new ones coming out and finding out that another 2 are coming out kinda ruined my plans. I bought all the old ones so I'm definitely gonna do these.

I thought of basically solving 16+20, 17+21, 19+2̶2̶ 23 (OCD kicking in lol). I'm gonna pair these and do them back-to-back on 3 non-consecutives days in between 15 and 5 days out. And I'm gonna probably do 18 paired with free 120 2-3 days out.

I know this sounds like an extreme approach, but I think that having simulated the exam 4 times before test day will boost my confidence and dispel any doubts about stamina being a factor.

Plus I think that doing more practice questions works as a better revision. Rereading FA seems to have little value for me at this point since I 've done 3 passes in a span of 7 months. I use it a reference right now while doing UW and it's mostly a hunt for obscure details that I missed on a first glance. Like clomiphene causing visual disturbances or thiazolidinediones increasing the risk of fractures :wtf:

I actually really like the idea of pairing them for stamina! May steal that idea haha, my only concern is ive heard there isnt explanations for nbmes so i was wondering if i'd just be better off doing nbme + a few blocks of uworld after. Any thoughts on this?

I actually really like the idea of pairing them for stamina! May steal that idea haha, my only concern is ive heard there isnt explanations for nbmes so i was wondering if i'd just be better off doing nbme + a few blocks of uworld after. Any thoughts on this?

Definitely had problems with stamina on my first practice test. People here suggested doing 2 UWorld blocks after my practice tests, because that will be the same number of questions as the real thing (280). Back to back 200 question exams seems wild.

I was planning on nbme + 2 UWorld blocks as well

Except back to back NBMEs is way longer than the real test. Each NBME is 5 hours. You'll freak out with your score on the second NBME if you're tired and then it wont be as predictive. Most people Combine 1 NBME with 2 Uworld blocks if they want to simulate the exam.

I think you have the right idea. Although 19 is tough to stomach it might be by far the most high yield practice exam to take. It is the most recent practice exam put out by the NBME so theoretically should be the most representative of what a 2019 exam day will look like.

I was also worried about taking it. Just don’t let the score throw you off too much. Set your expectations low and you’ll be fine. Focusing on exams that inflate (UWSA1 and 2) and ignoring exams that are harsher will just inflate your “average” practice scores and make you more confident than you probably should be.

Agreed. I'm happy that I took 19 for practice as it's the latest test even though I took it last. I knew going in that I probably wouldn't score well on it. It's not that its a hard test where I freaked out after that I didn't know the material its just the curve. Once I went over my answers and realized I still got around 75 percent correct I calmed down. Not looking to kill this thing just trying to get it over with and move on with my life at this point.

Except back to back NBMEs is way longer than the real test. Each NBME is 5 hours. You'll freak out with your score on the second NBME if you're tired and then it wont be as predictive. Most people Combine 1 NBME with 2 Uworld blocks if they want to simulate the exam.
i think the purpose of the back to back is just to get more exposure. I wont freak out with the second because F it, if the choice is do it back to back or not do it . Id probably just do it.

230 on 18 for a baseline, but I also couldn’t figure out how to pause it for breaks :smack: basically took it all in one sitting, so I probably missed a few just on fatigue. Still thrilled with the score!

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)

You might be right, but NBME questions so far seem super-short and mostly straightforward. A block of 50 seems to last for me as much (if not less) as a block of 40 of UW. Also, we 're not sure about the format of the new NBMEs, they might as well be 160 questions each.

Last edited:
So my original plan was to use: 15, 16, 19 , 17, 18, UWSA 1, UWSA 2 , Free NBME 120

Now with the new NBME's coming out, which one's from above would be worth dropping?

I just wanted to echo something Ive seen mentioned before to maybe instill some confidence and quell some post-test fears : Trust your practice assessments!

Here were my practice scores:
UWSA 1 - 247
NBME 16 - 255
NBME 17 - 252
NBME 18 - 252
NBME 15 - 259
NBME 13 - 257
NBME 19 - 260
UWSA 2 - 260

Test day: After running out of time on 2 blocks, flagging about 50% of the questions per block, and guessing somewhat blindly on a good handful of questions, I felt so terrible walking out of that testing center. The 3 weeks of waiting after the exam was harder than my dedicated study period for me as my brain would randomly replay that one Vitamin A deficiency question i know i missed. Later on, I learned that most people feel terrible and that the layup points I was sure I missed could have been one of the 10-20% Experimental questions.

I got my score 3 Wed from my 2/25 test date: 257!!!!!

Reactions: 12 users
I just wanted to echo something Ive seen mentioned before to maybe instill some confidence and quell some post-test fears : Trust your practice assessments!

UWSA 1 - 247
NBME 16 - 255
NBME 17 - 252
NBME 18 - 252
NBME 15 - 259
NBME 13 - 257
NBME 19 - 260
UWSA 2 - 260

Test day: After running out of time on 2 blocks, flagging about 50% of the questions per block, and guessing somewhat blindly on a good handful of questions, I felt so terrible walking out of that testing center. The 3 weeks of waiting after the exam was harder than my dedicated study period for me as my brain would randomly replay that one Vitamin A deficiency question i know i missed. Later on, I learned that most people feel terrible and that the layup points I was sure I missed could have been one of the 10-20% Experimental questions.

Congrats! how far apart were the tests taken?

Congrats! how far apart were the tests taken?

I used the first UWSA as a baseline, about 2 weeks into dedicated. NBME 16-18 were one week apart in the middle. NBME 13,15,19 and UWSA2 were all taken during my last two weeks.

UWSA 1 - 247
NBME 16 - 255
NBME 17 - 252
NBME 18 - 252
NBME 15 - 259
NBME 13 - 257
NBME 19 - 260
UWSA 2 - 260

Dat consistency! Well deserved, congratulations!

NBME 17 today: 263 (670). 8 wrong, 22 marked.

1 block of UWorld after (working my way up to full test length): 5 wrong (87.5%). Was definitely mentally fatigued at this point, made 1-2 mistakes I wouldn't normally have made.

This **** feels like such a crapshoot at higher scores. I easily could have gotten 12-15 wrong which would have dropped me to around ~250. And 2 of my incorrects were ethics questions. As an experiment, I didn't look at my score until after I finished the UWorld block, went for a run, and ate lunch. I totally see how the wait after step will be horrible - I thought I would be scoring in the ~240s at best.

Dedicated feels like it's working in that I'm still learning new things and understanding other concepts more deeply (I think I finally figured out the Bohr/Haldane effect yesterday!), but this whole process just feels so unpredictable when a few questions either way can change your score by 15 points. Nothing to do but keep plugging, I guess.

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone have any suggestions for reference book to read alongside doing uworld or question blocks. I loved the princeton review series for the mcat because they provided explanations and not just bullet points like FA. I have wondered about the kaplan set of books or notes. Any suggestions.

Does anyone have any suggestions for reference book to read alongside doing uworld or question blocks. I loved the princeton review series for the mcat because they provided explanations and not just bullet points like FA. I have wondered about the kaplan set of books or notes. Any suggestions.

This isn't a super popular opinion nowadays, but Robbins is actually really well written and has great figures. I've got an e-version that I'll reference sometimes when I don't get something. It goes too in depth to do all your learning from, but it's great to go back to if you have a specific question or concept you're trying to understand.

I recommend to my students to just google/YouTube/wiki what they don’t understand. It’s much faster and easier to access

So my original plan was to use: 15, 16, 19 , 17, 18, UWSA 1, UWSA 2 , Free NBME 120

Now with the new NBME's coming out, which one's from above would be worth dropping?
I would drop the older nbmes

I would drop the older nbmes

Thanks for the input. I've been watching a lot of your videos lately :)

The thing is my exam is June 11, and I start dedicated in a little under 3 weeks or so. I know they're going to release the NBME's separately. Hopefully i'll get a chance to have all 5 available during dedicated!

I recommend to my students to just google/YouTube/wiki what they don’t understand. It’s much faster and easier to access
Maybe I'm dumb but most frustrating thing I find is when research tells me "the connection is seen in research but the cause is not 100 clear" lol

Maybe I'm dumb but most frustrating thing I find is when research tells me "the connection is seen in research but the cause is not 100 clear" lol
This is the one thing that sold me on zanki.
You can only reason yourself out of soo many questions, a sizable amount of what we are taught or expected to know hasnt even fully been elucidated. So you are just basically memorizing a layer deeper. There are paradoxical efffects, hypothetical mechanisms, and black boxes everywhere. just remember them.

Reactions: 5 users
This is the one thing that sold me on zanki.
You can only reason yourself out of soo many questions, a sizable amount of what we are taught or expected to know hasnt even fully been elucidated. So you are just basically memorizing a layer deeper. There are paradoxical efffects, hypothetical mechanisms, and black boxes everywhere. just remember them.
True. hoping I can finish and also mature them in a reasonable time. Had 1 day off yesterday just was so burnt but slow recovery. It's been nasty but still have around a month to finish Rx and other things before taking a baseline.

Update: still enjoying dedicated, though starting to slow down a little - usually finished up by 6:30 at night instead of 6, so hoping that trend doesn't continue.

In other news:

(Not pictured: my two 75% blocks the day before)

Reactions: 6 users
Update: still enjoying dedicated, though starting to slow down a little - usually finished up by 6:30 at night instead of 6, so hoping that trend doesn't continue.

In other news:

(Not pictured: my two 75% blocks the day before)

What's your cumulative percentage correct on UWorld so far?

What's your cumulative percentage correct on UWorld so far?

91%, about 25% done. Started at ~86% and have been inching my way up, although the improvement hasn't felt dramatic - mostly in reasoning and understanding the kind of questions UWorld likes to ask. Still feel like I'm learning new things every day though! UWorld is such a deep well.

Reactions: 4 users
91%, about 25% done. Started at ~86% and have been inching my way up, although the improvement hasn't felt dramatic - mostly in reasoning and understanding the kind of questions UWorld likes to ask. Still feel like I'm learning new things every day though! UWorld is such a deep well.

Wow. You’re just in a different stratosphere than me.

Nah. UWorld is my 3rd qbank, and I've got zanki basically finished. Both of those definitely inflate my percentages.
zanki should count as 2 Qbanks

What were your averages for the other qbanks?

Last edited:
Rx 84, Kaplan 88.
That’s pretty incredible alongside your UW %

I did a ~600 question binge of rx and Kaplan Repro/endo questions a week ago going into my in-house final exams. Ended up averaging 84 in Kaplan and 80 in Rx in untimed tutor custom subjects mode.

Got about 5k zanki (18.5k matured) with 1 month of school left before 5wk dedicated. Hoping to get through most of zanki alongside Kaplan so I can hammer UW and my weaknesses come dedicated.

Rx 84, Kaplan 88.

Hey let us know how many questions right/wrong it is on the real deal to get a 300, okay? Cheers

I feel like I'm living in a parallel universe with @FindersFee5!

NBME 17 today: 263 (670). 8 wrong, 22 marked.

Took NBME 17 today - 265. Previous NBME was 2 weeks ago and I didn't plan to take another so close to the previous one, but UW was down for maintenance.

1 block of UWorld after (working my way up to full test length): 5 wrong (87.5%). Was definitely mentally fatigued at this point, made 1-2 mistakes I wouldn't normally have made.

2 blocks of UW after, 97.5% and 87.5%

UW 89% - 22% done

Rx 84, Kaplan 88.

Rx 87.5%, Kaplan 90%

The similarities were too great to overlook haha. When is your test?

I thought again about what people here said regarding back to NBMEs and they were right - 400 questions in one take is way too much, so I decided to listen to them. Pairing the NBME with 2 UW block was a more realistic approach. And honestly, it felt pretty doable, at least if you 're decently rested and take breaks in between every block. I only felt stamina being a limiting factor during the last UW block.

My last two NBMEs were NBME 13(259) and NBME 15(252). 15 felt way tricker(not necessarily harder) than this one. And I completely agree with @FindersFee5 about high scores. I wouldn't really trust NBME scores above 250-260, in a sense of exactly pinpointing where you stand - just take it as a sign that you 're in the right track, and nothing more than that. Honestly, that 265 could have easily been 250 or 270 had I made a few different 50-50 calls.

I feel like I'm living in a parallel universe with @FindersFee5!

Took NBME 17 today - 265. Previous NBME was 2 weeks ago and I didn't plan to take another so close to the previous one, but UW was down for maintenance.

2 blocks of UW after, 97.5% and 87.5%

UW 89% - 22% done

Rx 87.5%, Kaplan 90%

The similarities were too great to overlook haha. When is your test?

I thought again about what people here said regarding back to NBMEs and they were right - 400 questions in one take is way too much, so I decided to listen to them. Pairing the NBME with 2 UW block was a more realistic approach. And honestly, it felt pretty doable, at least if you 're decently rested and take breaks in between every block. I only felt stamina being a limiting factor during the last UW block.

My last two NBMEs were NBME 13(259) and NBME 15(252). 15 felt way tricker(not necessarily harder) than this one. And I completely agree with @FindersFee5 about high scores. I wouldn't really trust NBME scores above 250-260, in a sense of exactly pinpointing where you stand - just take it as a sign that you 're in the right track, and nothing more than that. Honestly, that 265 could have easily been 250 or 270 had I made a few different 50-50 calls.

Currently scheduled for early May, though I might end up moving it up. Undecided on if I want to go through all the old NBME questions offline, but if I decide not to I'll try to move it up a week.

I took 18 this weekend, didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but it actually made me feel a little better? I got a 257 again, but made significantly more dumb mistakes (5+ as opposed to ~2 normally) as well as more wrong 50/50 calls. It was definitely a frustrating test. Took 2 UWorld blocks after and went 90 and 95.

On the other hand, it did make me feel safer about getting at least a 250. I felt like this test went quite poorly and it still turned out with a score I'd be very happy with on the real thing. Getting 260+ is a crapshoot but it feels possible to almost guarantee above a 250 with hard work.

I do hope that the people who say UWorld blocks are most representative of the real thing are correct. Those feel like much better tests than the NBMEs.

Reactions: 6 users
Y’all are crazy for studying so long for step IMO. Really doesn’t need to be as much of a marathon as this especially for those of you cracking 260s on NBMEs. Take it and be done with it already lol. I was in the same position and moved my date up. Ended up >260. You need to know when you have hit your personal ceiling and just be ok with it.

Some vacation before M3 would sure be nice... We'll see how dedicated goes :scared:

Some vacation before M3 would sure be nice... We'll see how dedicated goes :scared:
i wish i was more rested come dedicated, but I am exhausted by m2 and the 5 exams in 2 weeks prior to dedicated sounds like wont help.

How many blocks of uworld a day are people doing during dedicated?
This might be insane but
I am planning on doing 8 NBMES +2 uwolrd blocks (640)= 8 days
UWSA 1 + 2
Free 120
Leaving me with 1800 questions@ 100 per day .
28 days .

Thoughts?

This might be insane but
UWSA 1 + 2
Free 120
28 days .

Thoughts?
that's crazy, you aren't going to improve your scores by taking 8 nbme's in a row unless you learn from your mistakes and I would imagine you're gonna burn out. Why don't you space the UWSAs out and the Uworld questions out equally?

that's crazy, you aren't going to improve your scores by taking 8 nbme's in a row unless you learn from your mistakes and I would imagine you're gonna burn out. Why don't you space the UWSAs out and the Uworld questions out equally?
I meant spending 8 days on the NBMEs probably 4 days between each. The content review I will play by ear after each NBME to see what my weakest subject is and hammer it at nights or do some additional anki cards on it.

This might be insane but
UWSA 1 + 2
Free 120
28 days .

Thoughts?
I plan on doing the same but over 35 days. Will probably take a half day or day off per week tho and only do 5 NBMEs. 8 total practice exam days so maybe Friday and Sunday each week.

Honestly I see the NBMEs as just checking in with my score goal and seeing improvement so I don’t think it’s that important to take so many of them as long as I simulate testing conditions with the uworld blocks as well.

Haven’t worked out all the details but for my 5 weeks I’m doing:
5 NBMES + 2 UW blocks (400) = 5 days
USWA 1/2 = 2 days
Free 120 = 1 day

2000 UW / (35-8 days) = 80 per day. With days doing 3 blocks instead of 2 I’ll be able to have time to do a pass through marked/incorrect.

Probably will try to do passive content review/left over Kaplan for my weak sections at night. Also going to try to keep up with zanki each morning before UW since I think I can plateau around 600 reviews per day

I plan on doing the same but over 35 days. Will probably take a half day or day off per week tho and only do 5 NBMEs.

Honestly I see the NBMEs as just checking in with my score goal and seeing improvement so I don’t think it’s that important to take so many of them as long as I simulate testing conditions with the uworld blocks as well.
chool
Haven’t worked out all the details but for my 5 weeks I’m doing:
5 NBMES + 2 UW blocks (400) = 5 days
USWA 1/2 = 2 days
Free 120 = 1 day

2000 UW / (35-8 days) = 80 per day. With days doing 3 blocks instead of 2 I’ll be able to have time to do a pass through marked/incorrect.

Probably will try to do passive content review/left over Kaplan for my weak sections at night. Also going to try to keep up with zanki each morning before UW since I think I can plateau around 600 reviews per day
This is super similar to what I am attempting to do , The reason I want to do the NBME's is to make sure i dont have a glaring knowledge gap. Nights will be sketchy, pathoma filed. and morning will be a quick review of maybe 500 cards. It seems like a lot . I have been really trying hard to get through kaplan and RX before dedicated starts but my schooling is getting in the way. I will probably have 500 questions from each qbank left by the time i reach dedidicated.

This is super similar to what I am attempting to do , The reason I want to do the NBME's is to make sure i dont have a glaring knowledge gap. Nights will be sketchy, pathoma filed. and morning will be a quick review of maybe 500 cards. It seems like a lot . I have been really trying hard to get through kaplan and RX before dedicated starts but my schooling is getting in the way. I will probably have 500 questions from each qbank left by the time i reach dedidicated.
Sounds like we’re in the same position. I’ll have about 500 from each left as well. Honestly I think it’s a good thing bc it’s another resource in case of weaknesses targeting.

When do you start? I still have a month of renal before dedicated starts and then exam mid June

Sounds like we’re in the same position. I’ll have about 500 from each left as well. Honestly I think it’s a good thing bc it’s another resource in case of weaknesses targeting.

When do you start? I still have a month of renal before dedicated starts and then exam mid June
About 6 total weeks left. Two weeks of school.