USMLE Official 2019 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started.
M2. Mid Tier everything.
Entertaining some surgical sub-specialties.

Goal 270
Happy with 245

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Hahahaha seriously!! My workouts are complete crap if they happen after 6pm

That's why I go at 5-6AM. Before I start stuff. Impossible to do anything other than an unsatisfying run afterwards.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Do you use pre-workout when you workout that late? Or do you ride the pure adrenaline from crushing NBMEs to achieve adequate pump?
hahaha :laugh:, I know this is a joke but I'm gonna use this as an excuse to rant lol I used to be a very heavy user of preworkout, like went 6-7years without taking more than a day or two off a month (besides maybe occasionally on vacation were I'd do half-a$$ed lifts in small hotel gyms or if i got any more sick than a common cold). For me going to the gym was the first thing I wanted to do in the morning, and if I didn't wake up with enough time to go before class I'd go right after class, it was something looming over me to get done throughout the day and I knew if I waited till night when I was deep in studying I'd skip a lift (blasphemy). So shifting to night lifts during dedicated has been interesting, i knew if I wanted to fall asleep before 5am I couldnt take a midnight preworkout. So essentially my workouts have gone to shiz, usually 30mins-45mins long compared to the old 1.5-2hrs long. Some nights I just do cardio for 20mins as the gyms on my way home, watch a youtube video on the tredmil, and unwind before going home to crawl in bed.

It honestly sucks, but I dont just blame late nights and lack of preworkout. Ever since med school became a thing that was constantly on my mind no amount of preworkout could fix the lack of energy being put into my workouts. I was constantly thinking "ah gotta finish up so I can get to studying", night workouts sorta help with this as its the last thing I do in the day but now its just transitioned to "ah gotta get home to get to bed". I started to realize this over last winter break were I almost got back to my pre-medschool shape. Combination of having something constantly looming over my head that I needed to go do (looking at you anki) and being seated for 90% of my awake time, is not good for my health lol. My schools hardest course in the spring combined with boards after that have just made my workout go further and further downhill to the point that it feels like I just show up at the gym to cross it off my checklist for the day, go through the motions and leave.

I think third year will help with this, not having weekly exams to worry about anymore. Plus no more being sedentary for 90% of the day anymore yay!

Reactions: 2 users
Finished nbme 13 with 34 misses out of the total (with a few missing but let's say I got those or missed 1 haha). What does this come out to? I think reddits saying upper 210s-220. Either way I'll take it. I know it's an easier nbme but I think if I was able to cross stuff out and OneNote not closing it would balance some of that out haha. A few really stupid mistakes but for preuworld, I can't be too upset although I wanted a little more. Test in late April but again no dedicated so we'll see how I maneuver that. I think k anki will come in major clutch to retain and prevent extreme knowledge decay.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Finished nbme 13 with 34 misses out of the total (with a few missing but let's say I got those or missed 1 haha). What does this come out to? I think reddits saying upper 210s-220. Either way I'll take it. I know it's an easier nbme but I think if I was able to cross stuff out and OneNote not closing it would balance some of that out haha. A few really stupid mistakes but for preuworld, I can't be too upset although I wanted a little more. Test in late April but again no dedicated so we'll see how I maneuver that. I think k anki will come in major clutch to retain and prevent extreme knowledge decay.

Test in April? Of next year? Brooooo you got a whole year go on and enjoy life. Let us all be depressed in peace

Reactions: 7 users
hahaha :laugh:, I know this is a joke but I'm gonna use this as an excuse to rant lol I used to be a very heavy user of preworkout, like went 6-7years without taking more than a day or two off a month (besides maybe occasionally on vacation were I'd do half-a$$ed lifts in small hotel gyms or if i got any more sick than a common cold). For me going to the gym was the first thing I wanted to do in the morning, and if I didn't wake up with enough time to go before class I'd go right after class, it was something looming over me to get done throughout the day and I knew if I waited till night when I was deep in studying I'd skip a lift (blasphemy). So shifting to night lifts during dedicated has been interesting, i knew if I wanted to fall asleep before 5am I couldnt take a midnight preworkout. So essentially my workouts have gone to shiz, usually 30mins-45mins long compared to the old 1.5-2hrs long. Some nights I just do cardio for 20mins as the gyms on my way home, watch a youtube video on the tredmil, and unwind before going home to crawl in bed.

It honestly sucks, but I dont just blame late nights and lack of preworkout. Ever since med school became a thing that was constantly on my mind no amount of preworkout could fix the lack of energy being put into my workouts. I was constantly thinking "ah gotta finish up so I can get to studying", night workouts sorta help with this as its the last thing I do in the day but now its just transitioned to "ah gotta get home to get to bed". I started to realize this over last winter break were I almost got back to my pre-medschool shape. Combination of having something constantly looming over my head that I needed to go do (looking at you anki) and being seated for 90% of my awake time, is not good for my health lol. My schools hardest course in the spring combined with boards after that have just made my workout go further and further downhill to the point that it feels like I just show up at the gym to cross it off my checklist for the day, go through the motions and leave.

I think third year will help with this, not having weekly exams to worry about anymore. Plus no more being sedentary for 90% of the day anymore yay!
I don’t wanna be a Debby downer but you have way less free time 3rd year haha. I’ve been having a hard time finding time to study and go to the gym. But I’m also on surgery so I’m hoping it gets better. But yeah the no more sedentary lifestyle definitely helps

Reactions: 3 users

Haha I feel you my dude. In undergrad it was so much easier to stay on a good lifting schedule. I love getting that caffeine//B-alanine crossfade going with my favorite music blaring in my ears & getting a solid lift in. Lost so many gainZ this year/last year. Slowly morphing into a potato.

Last edited:
I don’t wanna be a Debby downer but you have way less free time 3rd year haha. I’ve been having a hard time finding time to study and go to the gym. But I’m also on surgery so I’m hoping it gets better. But yeah the no more sedentary lifestyle definitely helps
Thats fair haha, surgery and OBGYN will definitely be rough months from what I've heard haha. It may be hospital/preceptor dependent because most of the third years at my school said their life got so much better in 3rd year. But they may have been on easier months like psych rads and gas when they said that haha. I'm definitely not expecting a cake walk, but at this point I'll take human interaction and walking around over solitude and chair locked (I'll probably take this back when I hit surgery though, good luck out there friend :clap:)
Haha I feel you my dude. In undergrad it was so much easier to stay on a good lifting schedule. I love getting that caffeine//B-alanine crossfade going with my favorite music blaring in my ears & getting a solid lift in. Lost so many gainZ this year/last year. Slowing morphing into a potato.
hahaha heck yes, undergrad years were some of the best lifting years. Nothing better than ego lifting without throwing out your back and hitting the cafe after for some good old fashion dirty bulking

Thats fair haha, surgery and OBGYN will definitely be rough months from what I've heard haha. It may be hospital/preceptor dependent because most of the third years at my school said their life got so much better in 3rd year. But they may have been on easier months like psych rads and gas when they said that haha. I'm definitely not expecting a cake walk, but at this point I'll take human interaction and walking around over solitude and chair locked (I'll probably take this back when I hit surgery though, good luck out there friend :clap:)
I start out in OBGYN next year. They are just chucking me straight into the fire haha hopefully they take it easy since its my first rotation

I start out in OBGYN next year. They are just chucking me straight into the fire haha hopefully they take it easy since its my first rotation
I'm not going to give you false hope, I will just pray you make it to the other side. Good luck, and may the obgyn gods have mercy on your soul...

(JKJK you'll be fine haha, a lot of my friends are starting out on surgery. I'm sure whoever you're working with knows what to expect from a 3rd year on their first rotation as they have done this year after year! Plus, you'll be done with it first!)
I'm starting out on inpatient IM, not really sure what to expect tbh. Seems like a mixed bag of could be horrible could be solid based on what people say on here haha

Reactions: 1 users
You all are lucky you get your schedule already. I have to wait for orientation to see my rotation schedule

You all are lucky you get your schedule already. I have to wait for orientation to see my rotation schedule
technically my school is the same way and we dont have our official schedules until july, but since I already paid for summer semester tuition I'm able to see the credits I was enrolled for on the university website and impatient IM showed up as one of my classes along with our like 10ish credit "board prep" ""class"" and transitions class we get to pay 15k to take this summer :) i wish some of that went toward the costs of actual board prep...

Members don't see this ad :)
technically my school is the same way and we dont have our official schedules until july, but since I already paid for summer semester tuition I'm able to see the credits I was enrolled for on the university website and impatient IM showed up as one of my classes along with our like 10ish credit "board prep" ""class"" and transitions class we get to pay 15k to take this summer :) i wish some of that went toward the costs of actual board prep...

I think we're classmates! Thunderstorm today?

Regarding the lifting, I am blessed to have a wife that loves early morning spin classes in our gym, so that means I am there every morning at 6. At 7:30 I had breakfast in our all you can eat cafeteria on campus which allows us to stay and feast all day, which is absolutely amazing. I only have to get up and wander to the buffet, top up the coffee and start the next block....

• Wow

Regarding the lifting, I am blessed to have a wife that loves early morning spin classes in our gym, so that means I am there every morning at 6. At 7:30 I had breakfast in our all you can eat cafeteria on campus which allows us to stay and feast all day, which is absolutely amazing. I only have to get up and wander to the buffet, top up the coffee and start the next block....
No lie I had to check the weather app to see if it actually did thunderstorm today, apparently yes! haha sup fellow classmate hope all is well :cool:

• Haha
  • Love

No lie I had to check the weather app to see if it actually did thunderstorm today, apparently yes! haha sup fellow classmate hope all is well :cool:

Are you guys both from MI? Good ol' MSU all you can eat cafe's

• Love
Just took UWSA1 as my first practice test and I am 3 weeks out. It was super nerve-wracking. Got a 237 and hoping that I can at least get a 230 on the real deal. Gonna aim for 240+, but I don't like gettin' hopes up. I have a few subjects that are major strengths and a few that are mediocre. Honestly, if I had more time per block it wouldn't be so stressful--I am such a slow test taker!

Just took UWSA1 as my first practice test and I am 3 weeks out. It was super nerve-wracking. Got a 237 and hoping that I can at least get a 230 on the real deal. Gonna aim for 240+, but I don't like gettin' hopes up. I have a few subjects that are major strengths and a few that are mediocre. Honestly, if I had more time per block it wouldn't be so stressful--I am such a slow test taker!
Yup going from 40 q in one hour to 46-50 in one hour five minutes plus no breaks for 4 sections in a row sucked..

Yep my plan is gonna be option 1 for the last 3-4 days to the test + the rapid review deck and maybe read through pathoma for a last time. Hope you take super light days the day or two before the real deal
which rapid review deck are you planning on using?

which rapid review deck are you planning on using?

I’ll be using the one based on FA2018s rapid review section over the next 2 days. I’m not sure what it’s called but if you google ‘reddit med school rapid review deck fa 2018’ it should come up. If you don’t find it let me know and I can share it.

I’ll be using the one based on FA2018s rapid review section over the next 2 days. I’m not sure what it’s called but if you google ‘reddit med school rapid review deck fa 2018’ it should come up. If you don’t find it let me know and I can share it.
there are quite a few options. I wasnt sure if there was a recommended one.

there are quite a few options. I wasnt sure if there was a recommended one.

That one's pretty good. But the cards aren't sorted into sub decks. Which I prefer they are. I went through those and just separated them (key associations vs presentations vs treatments etc etc)

2 weeks out from the exam. I wanted to get in 2 more practice exams before test date. I initially planed on nbme 18 and UWSA 2, but now im hearing nbme 23 and 24 are more like the real thing. Should I go with the tried and true method (nbme 18 and uwsa 2) or go with the new material (nbme23 and 24)????

2 weeks out from the exam. I wanted to get in 2 more practice exams before test date. I initially planed on nbme 18 and UWSA 2, but now im hearing nbme 23 and 24 are more like the real thing. Should I go with the tried and true method (nbme 18 and uwsa 2) or go with the new material (nbme23 and 24)????

18, 23, UWSA2. Those are the ones I have scheduled the last couple weeks of my dedicated. Someone here said 24 was terrible (repeats and lazy questions to paraphrase from memory).

18, 23, UWSA2. Those are the ones I have scheduled the last couple weeks of my dedicated. Someone here said 24 was terrible (repeats and lazy questions to paraphrase from memory).
That’s what I’ll do too. Hopefully they come out the way I want them to haha

Just pushed my USMLE 16 days earlier! So sick of studying. Now I am scheduled on june 4. 14 days sprint sounds WAY better than one month marathon!

Battle plan: NBME 23 tomorrow. Thorough review, high yield deck in FA, some more sketchy & pathoma, then UWSA1 in 10 days.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

I refuse to believe the real thing is going to be like NBME 24, which was more like the very early NBMEs. Even now people are still saying the exam is most similar to UWorld/UWSA2 and NBME18.

93% on the free 120 at the test center. ON THAT FUN TRAIN, FAM. CHOO CHOO. 5 MORE DAYS. How do they make me feel like I don't understand diabetes? Why does every heart sound file sound like nothing at all?

I'd take it sooner if prometric had space- I think I'm ready. 5 days is a lifetime, I could forget everything.

It felt more like UWSA2. Tough sometimes, but fair and clearly written unlike a lot of the NBME stuff.

Reactions: 8 users
93% on the free 120 at the test center. ON THAT FUN TRAIN, FAM. CHOO CHOO. 5 MORE DAYS. How do they make me feel like I don't understand diabetes? Why does every heart sound file sound like nothing at all?

I'd take it sooner if prometric had space- I think I'm ready. 5 days is a lifetime, I could forget everything.

It felt more like UWSA2. Tough sometimes, but fair and clearly written unlike a lot of the NBME stuff.

Silly question. How do you get about setting that up? Do they want $$?

Silly question. How do you get about setting that up? Do they want $$?

They want that cash money. $75

See here: United States Medical Licensing Examination | Computer-based Testing Practice Session

You register through the NBME site like you did for step 1. Once you get the permit (2-3 days later) you can sign up on prometric, only instead of selecting Step 1, you select Step 1 Practice Exam which is listed at the bottom under Step 3. You are side by side with people actually taking the thing (or at least I was), which was interesting. It helped me plan my food schedule, lock down bathroom timing and location, figure out how to adjust the chair, and discover how much the headphones suck.

They want that cash money. $75

See here: United States Medical Licensing Examination | Computer-based Testing Practice Session

You register through the NBME site like you did for step 1. Once you get the permit (2-3 days later) you can sign up on prometric, only instead of selecting Step 1, you select Step 1 Practice Exam which is listed at the bottom under Step 3. You are side by side with people actually taking the thing (or at least I was), which was interesting. It helped me plan my food schedule, lock down bathroom timing and location, figure out how to adjust the chair, and discover how much the headphones suck.

Thanks! I am on the fence if I want to do that... But the points you make are very valid! Good luck on the exam, seems like you're in great shape!

I just took the free 120 as well. I thought it was much more manageable than UWSA2. I'm really anxious to see if the real deal on Friday is more like UWSA2 or this free 120. I'm hoping the latter...

Update: 234 on NBME 22 today, test score as follows:

Goal: 240
NBME 17 (12 weeks out): 196
CBSE (10 weeks out): 215
NBME 18 (8 weeks out): 207
NBME 20 (7 weeks out): 225
NBME 21 (5 weeks out) 225
NBME 22 (4 weeks out) 234

I also finished UW. First pass, timed random 68% (last 35 blocks was at 74%).

I hate all of these NBMEs, but I was happy to see some improvement after not going up at all from 20 to 21. The way they ask questions and the concepts they test on is so much different than UWorld. I feel like it's hard to apply the knowledge I've gained from UWorld on these tests. I hope Step 1 does not feel like this (which thankfully it doesn't sound like it does)

I have 23, 24, free 120 and UWSA1/UWSA2. My original plan was to do UWSA1 next week, 23 + 24 two weeks from exam and then UWSA2 one week out and free 120 4 days prior. However, hearing that NBME 24 sucks, I am thinking maybe it would be best to take the 2 NBMEs before UWSA1 (or possibly not at all)? I feel that the UWorld assessments will give me a better measure of where I am than these NBMEs, but I don't want to use them too early. Any recommendations on testing order?

I feel that I am improving and I really dont want to hit a wall. My plan is to do UW on tutor mode, 80 Qs per/day and focus in on material that comes up that I dont know well enough yet. Besides that, trying to keep it simple with anki, sketchy micro/pharm, and BnB on repeat.

4 weeks is still a very long way away....

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Update: 234 on NBME 22 today, test score as follows:

NBME 17 (12 weeks out): 196
CBSE (10 weeks out): 215
NBME 18 (8 weeks out): 207
NBME 20 (7 weeks out): 225
NBME 21 (5 weeks out) 225
NBME 22 (4 weeks out) 234

I also finished UW. First pass, timed random 68% (last 35 blocks was at 74%).

I hate all of these NBMEs, but I was happy to see some improvement after not going up at all from 20 to 21. The way they ask questions and the concepts they test on is so much different than UWorld. I feel like it's hard to apply the knowledge I've gained from UWorld on these tests. I hope Step 1 does not feel like this (which thankfully it doesn't sound like it does)

I have 23, 24, free 120 and UWSA1/UWSA2. My original plan was to do UWSA1 next week, 23 + 24 two weeks from exam and then UWSA2 one week out and free 120 4 days prior. However, hearing that NBME 24 sucks, I am thinking maybe it would be best to take the 2 NBMEs before UWSA1 (or possibly not at all)? I feel that the UWorld assessments will give me a better measure of where I am than these NBMEs, but I don't want to use them too early. Any recommendations on testing order?

I feel that I am improving and I really dont want to hit a wall. My plan is to do UW on tutor mode, 80 Qs per/day and focus in on material that I feel I don't know well. Besides that, trying to keep it simple with anki, sketchy micro/pharm, and BnB on repeat.

4 is still a long way away....
take this with a grain of salt since ive only done nbme 22 and uwsa1 but i thought that uwsa1 was crazy easy (40 point difference) relative to 22 or even a random uworld block. aside from a few detail-oriented things, everything in uwsa1 i had already covered within the first 25% of uworld questions - a few images are even repeated which make them free points.

with 4 weeks to go i dont think there is a right/wrong order for 23/24 vs uwsa1. if your confidence needs a boost, take uwsa1 imo. if you want to continue to hone in/identify weaknesses, 23/24 might be more useful, but i wouldnt get hung up on whatever score trends you see. i took uwsa1 second because i wanted a "better predictor" than 22 and what i ended up with was an inflated score (imo) thats not really reflective of where i am. but it definitely built my confidence up a bit.

take this with a grain of salt since ive only done nbme 22 and uwsa1 but i thought that uwsa1 was crazy easy (40 point difference) relative to 22 or even a random uworld block. aside from a few detail-oriented things, everything in uwsa1 i had already covered within the first 25% of uworld questions - a few images are even repeated which make them free points.

with 4 weeks to go i dont think there is a right/wrong order for 23/24 vs uwsa1. if your confidence needs a boost, take uwsa1 imo. if you want to continue to hone in/identify weaknesses, 23/24 might be more useful, but i wouldnt get hung up on whatever score trends you see. i took uwsa1 second because i wanted a "better predictor" than 22 and what i ended up with was an inflated score (imo) thats not really reflective of where i am. but it definitely built my confidence up a bit.

I could definitely use a little confidence boost, but maybe my improvement on NBME22 will suffice enough until my next one. I'll probably take 24 next since there has been some talk about it being worse than 23 and than reevaluate

I wish there were more reviews of people who have taken these NBMEs and Step1 recently but unfortunately there aren't too many out there (at least that I could find)

I could definitely use a little confidence boost, but maybe my improvement on NBME22 will suffice enough until my next one. I'll probably take 24 next since there has been some talk about it being worse than 23 and than reevaluate

I wish there were more reviews of people who have taken these NBMEs and Step1 recently but unfortunately there aren't too many out there (at least that I could find)
Yep. very hard to find any data - im seriously not putting much stock into the new nbmes. will be happy to break 240 on them before i transition to uwsa2/free120/18

According to all the recent write ups on reddit, it seems like the new nbme's aren't all that better in simulating the actual exam than the old ones. Every single write up has been "UW and the free 120 are the closest thing to the real deal".

What do people think is a realistic improvement in 4 weeks? Trying to gauge if it's even possible for me to hit my goal score at this point.
I’m trying for 25-30+ so we’ll see haha I’ve heard it’s doable if you really grind

Feelin' so burnt out I just paid like $100 to move my test up to Friday...
...from Saturday.

Love it.

Edit: Somebody hold me I'm forgetting everything

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Feelin' so burnt out I just paid like $100 to move my test up to Friday...
...from Saturday.

Love it.

Edit: Somebody hold me I'm forgetting everything
holy ****. The burn out is real, I am dreading the fact that i moved my test late from tomorrow to friday. I also feel like I have forgotten everything i knew about anything.

Reactions: 6 users
Finally finished my first pass of Uworld. 63%. And that was 48th percentile. Was averaging low 70s near the end.

21 Days out from Step 1. Feeling like I could actually pass this thing lol.

Hoping to finish 2nd pass of Uworld over the span of two weeks. So approximately 200 Qs per day. Tough but doable.

What do people think is a realistic improvement in 4 weeks? Trying to gauge if it's even possible for me to hit my goal score at this point.
Think this definitely depends on ur baseline and how strong your foundation is that you haven’t yet learned to apply.

20-30 points is probably reasonable/average if you don’t start out super high

Finally finished my first pass of Uworld. 63%. And that was 48th percentile. Was averaging low 70s near the end.

21 Days out from Step 1. Feeling like I could actually pass this thing lol.

Hoping to finish 2nd pass of Uworld over the span of two weeks. So approximately 200 Qs per day. Tough but doable.

I would encourage you to focus more on your weak points and incorrects instead of a complete second pass of Uworld. Now is the time to review your data from the first past, see where you are weak, and hammer that content down with pathoma/anki/sketchy/w.e. That and regular practice exams. Possibly new questions in Kaplan/Amboss/USMLERx if you feel up to it, but be careful. As this thread shows, burnout is real and it sucks ass. Managing your emotions and workload is important.

Reactions: 6 users
holy ****. The burn out is real, I am dreading the fact that i moved my test late from tomorrow to friday. I also feel like I have forgotten everything i knew about anything.
Seriously though. I legit thought I was going to roll a 20% on my UW block today. Felt like I knew nothing. Turned out pretty much right in my average of late but still. I ended up not able to move my test up because of my eligibility window :rolleyes: Hoping I don't completely forget everything in the next 2 weeks.

• Wow
I just touched my msk deck for the first time in months. Why couldn’t I have been born smarter?