USMLE Official 2020 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one hasn't been started, figured I'd start this for all us M2s and M3s taking Step this coming year.

DO student interested in EM. Estimated test date is mid June.

Goal is 230+ but I'd be happy with 225+.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
When youre reading a micro question and you think you for sure know the answer and its none of the choices

1590166558249.png

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Just did a block, legit thought I was f***ed the entire block. Hit submit thinking this was going to be my lowest block ever....got an 82%. Nothing has ever played with my emotions like UWorld, I trust no one and nothing after this #UWorldTrustIssues

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just did a block, legit thought I was f***ed the entire block. Hit submit thinking this was going to be my lowest block ever....got an 82%. Nothing has ever played with my emotions like UWorld, I trust no one and nothing after this #UWorldTrustIssues

Remember this post when you walk out of the exam saying you felt like crap!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Same thing happened to me today. Felt like ass both blocks got a 78 and 82 back to back

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have good cardio review resources for phys? Keep getting screwed by cardio so I should probably stop ignoring that and do something about it ha. Thinking Pathoma will be good for path, maybe B&B for phys?

Anyone have good cardio review resources for phys? Keep getting screwed by cardio so I should probably stop ignoring that and do something about it ha. Thinking Pathoma will be good for path, maybe B&B for phys?
BnB is great for cardio phys. I would never recommend Kaplan but let me tell you it is phenomenal for cardiac phys. Thats honestly all its good for but its damn good. I know @NotSoObvious does Kap like me pretty sure he’ll agree

Reactions: 1 user

Hes pretty good on B&B. I thought the BRS review pdf did a pretty good job too with it, but if you have the time to watch the videos then go for it

Also, how to stop brain from being stupid in first 10 and last 10 questions lol. Literally out of 7 incorrect, missed 2 in the first 10, 1 in the next 20, and then 4 (!!!) in the last 10. I always get wrecked at the last 10 even though I'm not pressed for time, I usually finish with anywhere from 15-20 minutes left for review. Maybe UWorld just saves all the harder questions for me at the end :rolleyes:

BnB is great for cardio phys. I would never recommend Kaplan but let me tell you it is phenomenal for cardiac phys. Thats honestly all its good for but its damn good. I know @NotSoObvious does Kap like me pretty sure he’ll agree

Yea I think Dr. Ryan is a cardiologist? So cardio phys is his thing

Scary post

I truly think once you get into the really high score ranges and the low score ranges the predictors get less accurate because you become more of an outlier. This guy is an outlier. He still got within 10 points of the prediction and he still got a 250+ so I dont know what hes whining about especially since there is literally no difference between a 260s and a 250s when you apply competitively its matter of a few questions and once you get over the 250 mark each point matters way less basically get diminishing returns

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Scary post

sounds like they had an easier test with therefore a harsher curve to it. Not really sure why anybody would be pissed with a 250 lol. If you don't match into even the most competitive field with a 250, there is an issue somewhere else on your app, not the step score lol

Reactions: 9 users
sounds like they had an easier test with therefore a harsher curve to it. Not really sure why anybody would be pissed with a 250 lol. If you don't match into even the most competitive field with a 250, there is an issue somewhere else on your app, not the step score lol
Dude 1000%. A 260+ isnt going to get you in somewhere that a 250+ wont. After 250 it comes down to the rest of your app. That poster is prolly mad annoying in real life

Scary post

As others have said, the score predictor gets less accurate at high or low extremes of scores. I mean the percentile difference between a 250 and a 260 is so slim, it comes down to what questions you get on test day at that point. I get that he's disappointed but this doesn't really worry me. Also, a 252 was likely in his confidence interval.

Reactions: 1 users
As others have said, the score predictor gets less accurate at high or low extremes of scores. I mean the percentile difference between a 250 and a 260 is so slim, it comes down to what questions you get on test day at that point. I get that he's disappointed but this doesn't really worry me. Also, a 252 was likely in his confidence interval.
Same that post doesnt bother me. I really dont feel bad for him he got a freakin 252 boohoo lmao

Dude 1000%. A 260+ isnt going to get you in somewhere that a 250+ wont. After 250 it comes down to the rest of your app. That poster is prolly mad annoying in real life

willing to bet anything that they are one of the people in undergrad who scored like a 515 on the mcat and had to retake it in order to get a 520

• Haha
Same that post doesnt bother me. I really dont feel bad for him he got a freakin 252 boohoo lmao
I just think it's kind of ridiculous to expect a certain Step score. The predictor is not a hard science lol it's just a gauge to help keep us calm throughout dedicated honestly. You should be 100% okay with scoring the bottom of your 95% CI (yes occasionally people score even lower than that but I've only seen like 1 or 2 people post that). I get what this guy is saying, I feel like I've sacrificed a ton these last 2 years grinding Zanki and missing time doing other things...I still don't feel like I'm owed a certain score for it. If he had been predicted at 260+ and then found out he got a 225 that's a different story but like....come on.

I just think it's kind of ridiculous to expect a certain Step score. The predictor is not a hard science lol it's just a gauge to help keep us calm throughout dedicated honestly. You should be 100% okay with scoring the bottom of your 95% CI (yes occasionally people score even lower than that but I've only seen like 1 or 2 people post that). I get what this guy is saying, I feel like I've sacrificed a ton these last 2 years grinding Zanki and missing time doing other things...I still don't feel like I'm owed a certain score for it. If he had been predicted at 260+ and then found out he got a 225 that's a different story but like....come on.
Yeah exactly. I could see him being pissed if he dropped down into the 230s or lower being that he was predicted in the 260s then yeah I would be livid. He literally only got 10 points below which is still most likely within his confidence interval. Guy needs time to just chill hes been grinding too hard for too long and I get that

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my score back! 271!!! Can't believe it. I am in total shock right now...

Oh wait, that was just a dream. Nap's over I guess. Back to work

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I fully expect you all to virtually slap me if I somehow get 250+ and somehow end up making that a negative. Like you got a 250 instead of a 260? I'm playing the world's smallest violin for you.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yes the dude got a 250+ and he should be content but imo that doesn’t make his feelings worthless.

I think it's more the tone of the post implying all his hopes and dreams are shot because he got a 250 instead of a 260 when in actuality there is such a small difference between scores at that level. It's one thing to be like "dang, I really wanted that 260" but it's another to act like he can't do anything he wants just because he got a 250. 250 as a US MD student puts you firmly in the running for anything and everything out there.

I fully expect you all to virtually slap me if I somehow get 250+ and somehow end up making that a negative. Like you got a 250 instead of a 260? I'm playing the world's smallest violin for you.

I like how the top response is a dude who got a 267 saying “don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t be disappointed.” He’s between the 85th and 90th percentile. He’s within his CI on the predictor. I mean it’s one thing to be upset because you wanted 240 and got a 220 but wanting 99th percentile and only getting 90th? You’ll be hard presses to find sympathy. It’s like saying “I’m so upset, I really wanted Harvard but all I got was Dartmouth.”

• Haha
Yes the dude got a 250+ and he should be content but imo that doesn’t make his feelings worthless.
I agree, it's the tone of the post. His disappointment isn't worthless, and if he made a post just discussing how he was disappointed that the predictor was not accurate for him that would be one thing. But his post is literally a rant about how he put so much time and effort into this and now it's worthless, as if a 252 or a 265 would have different outcomes.

how many uworld questions do you guys do a day? The most I can ever do and thoroughly review is 120 (do 3 blocks of 40), but even doing 80qs takes me a long a** time to review

I agree, it's the tone of the post. His disappointment isn't worthless, and if he made a post just discussing how he was disappointed that the predictor was not accurate for him that would be one thing. But his post is literally a rant about how he put so much time and effort into this and now it's worthless, as if a 252 or a 265 would have different outcomes.
ahh i see your point. i guess he really wanted to stand out among other step scores lol

how many uworld questions do you guys do a day? The most I can ever do and thoroughly review is 120 (do 3 blocks of 40), but even doing 80qs takes me a long a** time to review

2 blocks and I'm scheduled to finish my first pass a week out from test day so will likely just do incorrects in that week leading up to it.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that this guy has a good reason to be upset. He basically sacrificed his social life for 2 years (+ extracurriculars) to smash the space bar. Homie did one million freaking Anki reviews. Imagine the toll all that work took on his mental health. All the fun he could have had in medical school along the way. He sacrificed all of that for this score.

Don't get me wrong, 252 is a great score but I'd be a little pissed if I invested all that effort and didn't break 260.

And before anyone says it, no I am not that guy. Currently anxiously awaiting my score, and I'd LOVE a 252.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that this guy has a good reason to be upset. He basically sacrificed his social life for 2 years (+ extracurriculars) to smash the space bar. Homie did one million freaking Anki reviews. Imagine the toll all that work took on his mental health. All the fun he could have had in medical school along the way. He sacrificed all of that for this score.

Don't get me wrong, 252 is a great score but I'd be a little pissed if I invested all that effort and didn't break 260.

And before anyone says it, no I am not that guy. Currently anxiously awaiting my score, and I'd LOVE a 252.
I'm at about 800,000 :(

How much OMM is on the COMSAE? Like if I've studied extensively for Step but hardly any OMM how would I do?

How much OMM is on the COMSAE? Like if I've studied extensively for Step but hardly any OMM how would I do?

I've only studied for step, and havent done metabolism, half of neuro, and 10% of pharm. I got a 481, which allegedly is actually a 581 (people have told me to add 100 to my score IDK lol)? OMM was my worst score by far, but I was still able to pull off a not terrible score without it.

Did my Uworld block for the day. was pretty nervous cause I had a lot of genetics and that's a hit or miss subject for me, but managed to scrape by with a 70. looks like ill be studying genetics the rest of the night woohoo.

I feel like hes a little naiive though. Anyone who knows anything about the match or competitive specialties, a 252 keeps him just as competitive as if he were to have gotten a 260. So no, none of his sacrifice went to waste literally at all. I wouldn't be in the slightest pissed, maybe bummed for a few mins because I didn't get my goal score but its not a gamechanger literally at all