USMLE Official 2020 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one hasn't been started, figured I'd start this for all us M2s and M3s taking Step this coming year.

DO student interested in EM. Estimated test date is mid June.

Goal is 230+ but I'd be happy with 225+.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel like hes a little naiive though. Anyone who knows anything about the match or competitive specialties, a 252 keeps him just as competitive as if he were to have gotten a 260. So no, none of his sacrifice went to waste literally at all. I wouldn't be in the slightest pissed, maybe bummed for a few mins because I didn't get my goal score but its not a gamechanger literally at all

Who knows what this guy's goals are? What if he wants to match a top 5 surgical sub? I'd imagine the average matched applicant Step 1 score at those places are a bit different than a middle of the road program in the same specialty.

Overall, you're probably right that the difference won't make or break his career. I'd still be salty though considering that a decent amount of people who score in the 250s get there without all the effort he put in.

Reactions: 2 users
Who knows what this guy's goals are? What if he wants to match a top 5 surgical sub? I'd imagine the average matched applicant Step 1 score at those places are a bit different than a middle of the road program in the same specialty.

Overall, you're probably right that the difference won't make or break his career. I'd still be salty though considering that a decent amount of people who score in the 250s get there without all the effort he put in.
agreed

This happens too often. “I know what the disease is, I understand the mechanism, I know the treatment, I know the mechanism and side effects of the treatments, and I know the risk factors, but what the hell are these answers saying????”

This is literally my biggest struggle, which is why I think doing questions is important. You learn their awkward phrasing.

I would cry. I guess its all relative though im sure many people would be okay with a 234

I would literally throw a parade for 220.

Yeah exactly. I could see him being pissed if he dropped down into the 230s or lower being that he was predicted in the 260s then yeah I would be livid. He literally only got 10 points below which is still most likely within his confidence interval. Guy needs time to just chill hes been grinding too hard for too long and I get that

Yeah after his whole tirade I was waiting for him to say he got like a 212.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that this guy has a good reason to be upset. He basically sacrificed his social life for 2 years (+ extracurriculars) to smash the space bar. Homie did one million freaking Anki reviews. Imagine the toll all that work took on his mental health. All the fun he could have had in medical school along the way. He sacrificed all of that for this score.

Don't get me wrong, 252 is a great score but I'd be a little pissed if I invested all that effort and didn't break 260.

And before anyone says it, no I am not that guy. Currently anxiously awaiting my score, and I'd LOVE a 252.
I think the reason I had a negative reaction to his post is, not only was he whiney but a lot of us sacrifice our social life for 2 years and prob won't score as good as him/her and don't feel the need to go online and complain about it.. We all have students like this in our class that make the biggest deal out of their scores regardless of how good it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone eagerly waiting for this upcoming Wednesday's score release? I took the exam May 3rd and just checking daily if my permit button disappears or not!

Reactions: 1 user
1 month out from step, starting NBME 24 in a couple minutes! Requesting thoughts and prayers.

Reactions: 9 users
So I've pretty much scheduled myself to be done with UWorld 4 days before my test. I really like seeing new questions because it keeps my brain active, so I want to keep seeing them up until right before my test. At this point there would be no point in rushing to finish a week before to get a couple of questions in from another qbank, and I don't see myself benefitting from a second pass or incorrects personally. Then I'll do Free 120, review it the day after, and take the day before my test off besides Anki. Thoughts?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
So I've pretty much scheduled myself to be done with UWorld 4 days before my test. I really like seeing new questions because it keeps my brain active, so I want to keep seeing them up until right before my test. At this point there would be no point in rushing to finish a week before to get a couple of questions in from another qbank, and I don't see myself benefitting from a second pass or incorrects personally. Then I'll do Free 120, review it the day after, and take the day before my test off besides Anki. Thoughts?
I think the biggest factor when making this decision is that what method would make you less burnt out and in a better mind space to feel like you will do well *rather real or not*. I think those close margins is all about the head game. So if doing UWORLD less will help you take care of yourself more it might help your score than doing more Qbanks

I think the biggest factor when making this decision is that what method would make you less burnt out and in a better mind space to feel like you will do well *rather real or not*. I think those close margins is all about the head game. So if doing UWORLD less will help you take care of yourself more it might help your score than doing more Qbanks
Makes sense. It's more that I feel I can't efficiently do more than 2 blocks of 40 a day. Actually doing the questions isn't the issue, it's reviewing. I don't want to start rushing through reviews just to do more questions a day and realistically, at this point even if I do 120 questions a day I will still only finish a week before my test. I feel that starting a new qbank that close is useless and will probably stress me out, since I've already done Rx all that's left would be Kaplan or AMBOSS, both of which I know are harder and would probably be a hit to my confidence that close to test day. But, I definitely want to keep doing questions right until my test because it's like exercise for my brain, so I don't want to finish a week out and then have nothing to do. I feel that this schedule will also let me have enough time to do some content review, which I haven't been able to do thus far. Pretty much reworked my schedule for 10-12 hour days, just accepted that it has to be done for the next month if I want to get everything I want done.

Edit: this schedule also lets me take a day off a week (just do Anki), which I think would be really good for me mentally

Makes sense. It's more that I feel I can't efficiently do more than 2 blocks of 40 a day. Actually doing the questions isn't the issue, it's reviewing. I don't want to start rushing through reviews just to do more questions a day and realistically, at this point even if I do 120 questions a day I will still only finish a week before my test. I feel that starting a new qbank that close is useless and will probably stress me out, since I've already done Rx all that's left would be Kaplan or AMBOSS, both of which I know are harder and would probably be a hit to my confidence that close to test day. But, I definitely want to keep doing questions right until my test because it's like exercise for my brain, so I don't want to finish a week out and then have nothing to do. I feel that this schedule will also let me have enough time to do some content review, which I haven't been able to do thus far. Pretty much reworked my schedule for 10-12 hour days, just accepted that it has to be done for the next month if I want to get everything I want done.

Edit: this schedule also lets me take a day off a week (just do Anki), which I think would be really good for me mentally
Thats the best schedule then. taking care of yourself while getting **** done

You'll crush it with this method. Number of unique/new questions completed is the key to high scores, so I 100% think this will work well for you. However, one thing that you could do is I know you said 120 is too much (which I agree with completely) but I would consider doing 80 questions per day but then another 40 block of your incorrects reviewing them is MUCH quicker (less than half the time it takes to review new questions). That way if you start doing this now you'll have seen your incorrects and new questions

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll crush it with this method. Number of unique/new questions completed is the key to high scores, so I 100% think this will work well for you. However, one thing that you could do is I know you said 120 is too much (which I agree with completely) but I would consider doing 80 questions per day but then another 40 block of your incorrects reviewing them is MUCH quicker (less than half the time it takes to review new questions). That way if you start doing this now you'll have seen your incorrects and new questions

damn thats actually a good idea

This sounds like a good idea, I'll see if I can give it a try.

This is pretty much what I’m doing. I’m 3 weeks out now and I’ve been doing two blocks a day and writing down the topics that keep giving me trouble. Between reviewing and doing Zanki (I can’t bring myself to give it up), that’s most of my day as I follow along with First Aid as I review but I will finish UWorld about a week out and that last week I will probably do B&B for my weak points and the Free 120. That way it’ll be fresh and I can mentally relax as much as possible that final week.

Going through the 100 concept anatomy slides thing isn't easy. So much pelvic perineum topics!
Yeah lol step loves pelvic repro anatomy crap. They also are obsessed with the internal iliac vessels ("ligating which of the following arteries would stop the bleeding of this post-partum hemorrhage blah blah"....internal iliacs everytime)

Yeah lol step loves pelvic repro anatomy crap. They also are obsessed with the internal iliac vessels ("ligating which of the following arteries would stop the bleeding of this post-partum hemorrhage blah blah"....internal iliacs everytime)

Lol I specifically remember getting that wrong

230 on NBME 24. Many thanks for the the thoughts and prayers. Feel good about the progress, I was expecting a 225 based on how I felt. Lots of stupid mistakes!

Edit: 78.5% correct

Last edited:
Do you think it's worth it to review all the muscles of the perineum etc? This powerpoint has things on the superficial/deep perineal pouch.

Congrats! How did it feel compared to the other new NBMEs? I literally hated 21
I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with my thoughts, but I found it to feel less super confusing/obscure than 18 or 20. Plenty of short question stems. More like UWorld than 18 or 20 were but still ...not like UWorld. Some of the concepts were definitely things I have never been asked about and they required some educated or complete conjecture. Though, that has happened with every NBME moreso than in UWorld.

• Love
Do you think it's worth it to review all the muscles of the perineum etc? This powerpoint has things on the superficial/deep perineal pouch.
Definitely not lol thank God that would be a giant waste of time. Anatomy is my strongest subject and I can honestly say memorizing and reviewing muscles is definitely not important. Clinically oriented anatomy is. I would never recommend reading the explanations of the other answer choices in an anatomy question if they are names of muscles or nerves and their attachments crazy crazy low yield. if you can think about the anatomy in a clinically oriented way then that is what Step is looking for. Memorizing attachments, muscles and nerves is for PT students and surgical residents

Yo @Deecee2DO I found something to help you out

1590259476766.png

:laugh: haha all love

• Haha
Also took NBME 24 and got a 227. Was really hoping to get at least a 230, but it is what it is. At least improved from a 220 on NBME 21 two weeks ago. There were some terms and concepts in there that I've never heard of in my life lol

Edit: 75.5% for anyone's reference.

Last edited:
Any opinions on weather I should take nbme 21, 22, or 23 if I’m trying to get an honest assessment of my current state of preparation? About to go on a week long vacation with family and want to see if I can take it easy

dude im telling you doing 40 uworld questions vs 40 nbme questions is like you're taking 2 completely different tests, I don't get it
UWorld and NBME are worlds apart. UWorld rewards overthinking, NBME absolutely does not. UWorld also isn't nearly as vague as NBME. You have to assume so much on NBMEs to get their questions correct. Good thing real deal is more like UW

249 on UWSA1. I know it overpredicts, so that's disappointing, but hopefully less so with 3 weeks out (tentatively). Now back to the grind of reviewing answers...

Any opinions on weather I should take nbme 21, 22, or 23 if I’m trying to get an honest assessment of my current state of preparation? About to go on a week long vacation with family and want to see if I can take it easy
22 isn't bad. Highest correlation on reddit predictor (.62). My buddy took 22 yesterday he got a 239 and his UW % corrrect is 75% (80th %ile) to give you an idea. My guess is that is underpredicts by only 5 points or so

UWorld and NBME are worlds apart. UWorld rewards overthinking, NBME absolutely does not. UWorld also isn't nearly as vague as NBME. You have to assume so much on NBMEs to get their questions correct. Good thing real deal is more like UW

Im contemplating on if it would be stupid to not do any more of them. Im 3.5 weeks out from test day and still have UW test 1, UW test 2, 1400 Qbank questions, Free 120 left. Il probably do 18 because everyone does, but I just feel like I don't learn anything from taking them and that they're a time sink

Im contemplating on if it would be stupid to not do any more of them. Im 3.5 weeks out from test day and still have UW test 1, UW test 2, 1400 Qbank questions, Free 120 left. Il probably do 18 because everyone does, but I just feel like I don't learn anything from taking them and that they're a time sink
Amazing idea. Don't even bother with any more of them youre right you can't learn from them at all. I literally am doing the same thing as you except I am going to take NBME 18 and 24 since I've only done 1 NBME so far back in March

I've been struggling with this forever. I've done 16 and 21 and will also do 18, but I constantly go back and forth between not wanting to do anymore. I've read opinions from high scorers going both ways, so who knows.

dude im telling you doing 40 uworld questions vs 40 nbme questions is like you're taking 2 completely different tests, I don't get it
It also seems like the curve is more harsh. I went back and my percentage was 65%? haha oh well

Im the same. I'm gonna do 18, then the free 120 and UWSA 2 and call it gucci

There is an excellent NBME 18 annotated PDF that really made me feel like that one was worth taking in the end. Easily searchable online. Very well made.

Got my USMLE rescheduled to a reasonable time finally.

Just finished UWorld too, with a few weeks to go. Debating on whether to move on to AMBOSS or do another sweep. UWorld is the gold standard and I do think that I forgot most of the questions, but I got like 90% on a set I did today and I'm wondering if I'd be better off just tackling new questions even if the bank is inferior.

Got my USMLE rescheduled to a reasonable time finally.

Just finished UWorld too, with a few weeks to go. Debating on whether to move on to AMBOSS or do another sweep. UWorld is the gold standard and I do think that I forgot most of the questions, but I got like 90% on a set I did today and I'm wondering if I'd be better off just tackling new questions even if the bank is inferior.
New questions always better than re-doing unless they are your UWorld incorrects. Do amboss

Last edited: