USMLE Official 2020 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one hasn't been started, figured I'd start this for all us M2s and M3s taking Step this coming year.

DO student interested in EM. Estimated test date is mid June.

Goal is 230+ but I'd be happy with 225+.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah A lot people I talk to say NBME undershoots and UW overshoots. Id much rather get undershot then over lol
Yeah your golden you were rocking the new forms so i wouldnt worry. I scored the same on 18 and UWSA2 so now I have no clue and my UWSA1 was 6 above those and I know that one for sure overshoots

Know your immune and Chapters 1-3 of Pathoma. A lot of easy word for word questions from that. In my opinion that test asks hard questions over easy topics so if you see a disease or something you've never heard of or have never been asked about you're not getting tested on it more than likely. Just trust your prep and try to take a chunk of the day before completely off. your gunna need it

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah your golden you were rocking the new forms so i wouldnt worry. I scored the same on 18 and UWSA2 so now I have no clue and my UWSA1 was 6 above those and I know that one for sure overshoots
Its all a crap shoot. Could have done well below average or knocked it out of the park. I really can't even tell. Ill stress when I see my score lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust in your prep my friend. It will carry you and odds are youll score where youve been scoring the last month or so

Thank you good sir. I am only scared because on the old NBMEs I climbed my way up the score range, then switched to the new NBMEs and took a tanking; as you've said previously in the thread I am assuming that they may be precise but not accurate in predicting scores.

Thank you both, I'm hoping it looks the most like 18 :p But I know the form varies. Just suffering a case of 1-wk-out anxiety!
I felt that my % correct on 18 was the most predictive. The 3-digit score is a bit off because the curve has gotten ridiculous (I scored 8 points better on the real deal ~1 week later) but I would venture a guess that my % correct was probably similar; obviously that's a guess as no one knows how they grade the real thing but those are just my thoughts. 18 felt like the real thing to me in the sense that there were a lot of ones that seemed almost painfully easy, and then those that were 50/50, and then those complete curveballs. That's how the real thing felt to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Real bummed my score isn’t out. Wonder if it’s because I took it after wed of two weeks ago. Convinced myself that it Probably means I failed the exam or something

EDIT:WTF people from reddit got their scores, permit never disappeared, and we tested on the same day

Last edited:
Real bummed my score isn’t out. Wonder if it’s because I took it after wed of two weeks ago. Convinced myself that it Probably means I failed the exam or something

EDIT:WTF people from reddit got their scores, permit never disappeared, and we tested on the same day
Dude thats mad annoying! You didn't fail bro you got an 80% on the free 120. Can you direct me to the reddit thread that has the score release for today? lol

Thank you good sir. I am only scared because on the old NBMEs I climbed my way up the score range, then switched to the new NBMEs and took a tanking; as you've said previously in the thread I am assuming that they may be precise but not accurate in predicting scores.
Yeah I am a strong believer that the new NBMEs are NOT predictive. They just felt like the real deal to me that doesn't mean that the new NBME scores will correlate it was just how vague everything felt that is all. I wouldn't put too much stock in your new NBME scores.The majority of people score much better on the real thing. Ive even linked a video in this thread at one point that was from the head tutor of a professional USMLE tutoring company that discusses how the new NBMEs are not predictive and how they underpredict for the vast majority of people

Dude thats mad annoying! You didn't fail bro you got an 80% on the free 120. Can you direct me to the reddit thread that has the score release for today? lol
I don’t have a link to score release, it was just someone making a post asking where the F their score was lol

Yeah I am a strong believer that the new NBMEs are NOT predictive. They just felt like the real deal to me that doesn't mean that the new NBME scores will correlate it was just how vague everything felt that is all. I wouldn't put too much stock in your new NBME scores.The majority of people score much better on the real thing. Ive even linked a video in this thread at one point that was from the head tutor of a professional USMLE tutoring company that discusses how the new NBMEs are not predictive and how they underpredict for the vast majority of people

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I start a week from today and I'm still barely moved into my new place. My life is a mess right now and I Really need to stop eating dairy queen all day and actually get ready to get back on the grind
This sounds so familiar. I spent the past week moving and just got internet today. Pretty sure I gained 10 pounds from all the takeout/road food I ate so I could pack my whole kitchen and not worry about it. I don’t start rotations until mid-September and I’m feeling totally lost in the sauce about what I’m supposed to be doing before then.

Taking my final exams for the spring semester in 2-3 weeks. It really sucks to still have that crap left to do at this point in the year.

lol 209......am i ****ed for IM programs?? I was hoping to do oncology eventually. Specifically lookin for non-malignant IM programs lmao
Congrats on being done, even though I know you’re disappointed. I think you’re going to be fine. IM really does have a huge range, and not all programs only take superstars. Not all programs with lower averages are malignant either, and there’s always step 2! There are literally tons of posts on reddit of people who have done 30+ points better on step 2 than step 1, like this guy.

Reactions: 2 users
Which exam I should take to decide if I should postpone or not? 18 or 24? Will be taking it 4-5 days before big day.

lol 209......am i ****ed for IM programs?? I was hoping to do oncology eventually. Specifically lookin for non-malignant IM programs lmao
Which exam I should take to decide if I should postpone or not? 18 or 24? Will be taking it 4-5 days before big day.
UWSA2 if you haven't taken it- performance on that caused me to push back 1 month. If you have, I'd take the free 120 even though it's not super predictive if you bomb it, you bombed Step 1-like questions. if you've taken that or don't want to I'd take 18 or 24. I'd personally also take 7 UW blocks if I hadn't finished UW and see how I average out across the 7 blocks.

I'm 13 days out from school cbse. I need a 200 for them to let me take step or this may be the end of the road. I just got a 208 on nbme 21, which seems like it is cutting it a little too close. It says my weak areas are respi/renal and cardio, and then path and phys subject wise. When people say review your weeknesses does that mean just watching videos, or reading as well with 13 days left? Thanks!

I'm 13 days out from school cbse. I need a 200 for them to let me take step or this may be the end of the road. I just got a 208 on nbme 21, which seems like it is cutting it a little too close. It says my weak areas are respi/renal and cardio, and then path and phys subject wise. When people say review your weeknesses does that mean just watching videos, or reading as well with 13 days left? Thanks!
Watch Boards and beyond/pathoma vids on those subjects and also prioritize practice questions on those subjects in UWorld or Amboss (dont do the 5 hammer questions way too unnecessarily hard). Practice questions are king-they help you apply the concepts you read/watch in ways youll see on the exam

Reactions: 2 users
So what should I expect with COMLEX tomorrow? I breezed through savarese these past few days and Im memorizing Chapmans/counterstrain etc. Ive heard to horror stories. Is it really that bad?

So what should I expect with COMLEX tomorrow? I breezed through savarese these past few days and Im memorizing Chapmans/counterstrain etc. Ive heard to horror stories. Is it really that bad?
Bro you were predicted in the 250s for Step lol comlex sucks because its long and poorly structured but I mean you literally have nothing to worry about! Just walk in and take it brah

It is that bad, but it’s that bad for everyone, so you’re going to be just fine! Good luck!

UPDATE: my permit button is gone. oh god oh god oh god, wish it would come back and I could never see my score lol

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
What time do they release COMLEX scores? And is it safe to assume that if you took the exam on like the first or second day of the new window, you should expect your score on the first day of the score release?

What time do they release COMLEX scores? And is it safe to assume that if you took the exam on like the first or second day of the new window, you should expect your score on the first day of the score release?

There is no rhyme or reason to their madness. I got mine at like 11am on the last day of a 5 day window so it’s completely random.

• Sad
Tested 7/27 do you guys know where I can find what week those scores will be released? Im assuming next Weds but not 100% sure

I don't think there's any official way to know but based on the reddit August 5th score release thread that's already been started people who tested up to 7/25 had their permits disappear and are getting scores back this week so I think it's pretty safe to assume we'll be next week

I don't think there's any official way to know but based on the reddit August 5th score release thread that's already been started people who tested up to 7/25 had their permits disappear and are getting scores back this week so I think it's pretty safe to assume we'll be next week
So crazy how quick these turnarounds are

Wait what
Wait what!!! the 7/25 people could be tomorrow!!!

wait whats the fcvs trick lmao
You make an account at the fcvs page, and then go fcvs—> press continue —> education & .... —> examination history

It is supposed to show if you pass or failed like 8 h before you get the email. I got mine 7h ago

Attachments

• D2F85EE7-C90E-4A95-ACC8-F9B4816B9E50.jpeg
    D2F85EE7-C90E-4A95-ACC8-F9B4816B9E50.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 130
You make an account at the fcvs page, and then go fcvs—> press continue —> education & .... —> examination history

It is supposed to show if you pass or failed like 8 h before you get the email. I got mine 7h ago
Mine shows nothing RIP

Attachments

• 1596636514687.png
    1596636514687.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Hmm
Me to my brain: let's go to bed a little late so we wake up right before the exam is released so we don't have to wait
Brain: sure! 4am wake-up all queued up!

244. So happy. So so so happy

I was predicted at 240 with 230-250 CIs. As a <250 predicted, I was expecting to hit the lower end of my CI or drop off below it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users