USMLE Official 2020 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one hasn't been started, figured I'd start this for all us M2s and M3s taking Step this coming year.

DO student interested in EM. Estimated test date is mid June.

Goal is 230+ but I'd be happy with 225+.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
231!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm ****ing crying on rotations right now lol. This whole journey was miserable and I thought I was so screwed. Predictor had me at 234 so in my head that is right around perfectly accurate. I was also right at the average of my UWSA and NBME.

Is it as good as my original goal? (240) no it isnt but honestly after the hell of doing all of zanki and zanki pharm in less than 10 months I cannot complain at all. My doors as a DO are still pretty much open.

Ugh y'all I am crying I am so grateful for the support you gave. Hopefully now I still pass comlex lol

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
244. So happy. So so so happy

I was predicted at 240 with 230-250 CIs. As a <250 predicted, I was expecting to hit the lower end of my CI or drop off below it.
231!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm ****ing crying on rotations right now lol. This whole journey was miserable and I thought I was so screwed. Predictor had me at 234 so in my head that is right around perfectly accurate. I was also right at the average of my UWSA and NBME.

Is it as good as my original goal? (240) no it isnt but honestly after the hell of doing all of zanki and zanki pharm in less than 10 months I cannot complain at all. My doors as a DO are still pretty much open.

Ugh y'all I am crying I am so grateful for the support you gave. Hopefully now I still pass comlex lol

Congrats to both of you! I hope it takes some weight off and you guys can celebrate tonight! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 user
244. So happy. So so so happy

I was predicted at 240 with 230-250 CIs. As a <250 predicted, I was expecting to hit the lower end of my CI or drop off below it.

Yessss!! So proud of you guys.

Strong work buddy. Glad we both had a good day. It doesn't feel like it for most people but you'll pass COMLEX :)

Lets goooooo! DUDE YESSS! Im so happy for you. Was it close to your UWSAs and NBME 18? Also how did you feel afterward
NBME 18: 223 ;) (took it 2.5 months before I ended up taking the exam)
UWSA1: 247
UWSA2: 228, caused me to push back my test 1 month
Highest NBME was form 24 at a 230

I think I credit a month of AMBOSS and pathoma 1-3 and sketchy reviews for the increase. And luck. Felt not so hot afterwards. Just not able to judge how I did compared to others.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
244. Had a hard exam and fell towards the bottom of my confidence interval. 250 was a long shot but was hoping for at least 245. Not to sound ungrateful, but I'm kind of disappointed since I put literally everything I had into this and sacrificed a ton. But it could have been much, much worse in the grand scheme of things, so I'll take it.

Reactions: 7 users

YOOOOO LFGGGGG. that is awesome man Im insanely happy for you rn

Reactions: 1 users
244. Had a hard exam and fell towards the bottom of my confidence interval. 250 was a long shot but was hoping for at least 245. Not to sound ungrateful, but I'm kind of disappointed since I put literally everything I had into this and sacrificed a ton. But it could have been much, much worse in the grand scheme of things, so I'll take it.
Understandable; I think something that gets thrown around alot is the "250" score. To give you an idea of how hard it is to hit it, most top 20 schools have step 1 averages ~245. If you look at the AAMC GPA/MCAT grid, ~17% of matriculating students for the past 3 years score a =>518. Only ~16% of med students can score a >=250. A 244 in the grand scheme of things is a great score - just continue working on connections/research/clerkships.

So proud of you dude!

Feel you! Hang in there

Thanks guys! Also idk if this has been stated but 2020 charting outcomes have been released if anyone else is a stat junky

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aug 6-10 COMLEX 1 release date peeps...how are y’all holding up? Currently freaking tf out

Aug 6-10 COMLEX 1 release date peeps...how are y’all holding up? Currently freaking tf out
Praying it comes out for me on the 6th, but deep down in my heart I know it will probably comes out August 10th at 11:59PM

Super happy for everyone who got their score backhand and are pleased! Y'all killed it! Good luck in clinicals. Anyone else contemplating a bilateral amputation at the ankles? My feet are KILLING me. Internal is go go go go and I'm dying by 11am everyday! Maybe need to look into a new pairs of shoes

Super happy for everyone who got their score backhand and are pleased! Y'all killed it! Good luck in clinicals. Anyone else contemplating a bilateral amputation at the ankles? My feet are KILLING me. Internal is go go go go and I'm dying by 11am everyday! Maybe need to look into a new pairs of shoes
14+ hour nights on OB .... soul sucking

truly amazed at how comlex release scores over a period of days. its 2020. just click the damn computer button and let my suffering be over

Been keeping track of step 1 reported scores on the score release threads on reddit and I don't think anyone's reported =>260 in the past 2 reports; just a random fact to throw out

Been keeping track of step 1 reported scores on the score release threads on reddit and I don't think anyone's reported =>260 in the past 2 reports; just a random fact to throw out
260 is almost 100 percentile so that makes sense

Like, COMLEX could AT LEAST tell you if you passed or not on day 1 then wait to release the actual score within that 4 day window, *eyeroll

So there was a problem with my school having not sent a form to ECFMG and therefore my score report can’t be released. I will probably get the score in 2-3 weeks. Such a bummer. Anyway congrats to everyone!!

• Wow
Understandable; I think something that gets thrown around alot is the "250" score. To give you an idea of how hard it is to hit it, most top 20 schools have step 1 averages ~245. If you look at the AAMC GPA/MCAT grid, ~17% of matriculating students for the past 3 years score a =>518. Only ~16% of med students can score a >=250. A 244 in the grand scheme of things is a great score - just continue working on connections/research/clerkships.

Yeah you're right, thanks for the perspective. I just wanted to do well enough to not rule any specialty or location out, and my practice test scores were trending higher. But I guess there's other avenues to focus on now.

another day spent hitting refresh hoping that NBOME gets their **** together

Per the COMLEX reddit, someone called the NBOME and they said scores will be out Monday. The exact same thing happened during my score release window. You made the same mistake I did in hoping the NBOME would be nice enough to just rip off the bandaid and let you enjoy your weekend.

Per the COMLEX reddit, someone called the NBOME and they said scores will be out Monday. The exact same thing happened during my score release window. You made the same mistake I did in hoping the NBOME would be nice enough to just rip off the bandaid and let you enjoy your weekend.
Luckily my doc doesn’t work on Monday’s, so I can at least start drinking to dull the pain ASAP

Why not just have a single day for score release then if they never release them till the last day....
Luckily my doc doesn’t work on Monday’s, so I can at least start drinking to dull the pain ASAP
same lol

Guys this might be a stupid question but how do I know if my permit disappeared? Lol. I clicked on print permit and this is what I get "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active." Does this mean my score will most likely be released Weds? I tested 7/27

Guys this might be a stupid question but how do I know if my permit disappeared? Lol. I clicked on print permit and this is what I get "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active." Does this mean my score will most likely be released Weds? I tested 7/27

i think you're due big guy

The print permit button should disappear completely. But it’s still early and I think mine disappeared around 7:30-8:00 before my score was released.

Mine did this and I got super excited, but I did not actually get my score until the button itself vanished.

I just checked mine. My button is completely gone. There isn't even a way to click on the permit. Its only Monday morning though. I know several people who theirs disappeared the day before

Last edited:
School sent the papers and I got the score!!!! 232!!!! **** yeah!!! I think I’m good for IM as an IMG. I also have 3 pubmed - peer reviewed publications and 2 years of school left!! Congrats to everyone

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I think my permit disappeared. Im ****ting bricks guys. Im more nervous than I was the morning taking it. Praying for 250+, 245+ ill still be super happy and 240+ ill be slightly disappointed but still sleep at night lol

Reactions: 7 users
I think my permit disappeared. Im ****ting bricks guys. Im more nervous than I was the morning taking it. Praying for 250+, 245+ ill still be super happy and 240+ ill be slightly disappointed but still sleep at night lol
These next few days were such a pain for me. Again, yf you want a good controversy to keep you busy, watch the James Charles, Shane Dawson and Jeffrey Starr videos apology videos on youtube. Worked for me.

I won't do a write - up but here go my practice test scores:

NBME 17: 213
NBME 19: 221
NBME 21: 227
UWSA1: 245
NBME 22: 228
NBME 23: 210 (lol)
NBME 24: 233
NBME 18: 237
UWSA2: 240

real deal: 232
I was predicted around 240 if im not mistaken but NBMEs where more predictive for me than UWSA2.

I won't do a write - up but here go my practice test scores:

NBME 17: 213
NBME 19: 221
NBME 21: 227
UWSA1: 245
NBME 22: 228
NBME 23: 210 (lol)
NBME 24: 233
NBME 18: 237
UWSA2: 240

real deal: 232
I was predicted around 240 if im not mistaken but NBMEs where more predictive for me than UWSA2.
Nice work! Super happy for you. How close did you take your nbmes