USMLE Official 2021 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right y'all, let's get this party started. Here's to a smooth sailing third year, no Prometric drama with Step 2, in-person aways and interviews, and no CS/hopefully PE.

School: bone wizard

Step 1: mid 230s
Level 1: mid 570s

Step 2 goal: 250+
Level 2 goal: 600+

Interests: EM, OB/GYN (distant second)

Rotations (in order): Peds, IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, Surgery, EM, OB/GYN and then several electives mixed in

Resources: UWorld, Online MedEd, Tzanki deck since it's shorter and the Step 1 decks burned me out, might check out B&B for Step 2 when it comes out since Dr. Ryan saved my butt on Step 1

My rotations go until the end of June and unfortunately my schedule is pretty backloaded with my final 3 rotations being EM, OB and ICU so I guess that means I'll be taking Step 2 in early July. Obviously I'm not sure how auditions/aways will be playing out next summer and if PE will be a thing so a lot up in the air right now in terms of scheduling. My school does COMATs for our shelf exams but I don't plan on using any DO-specific resources for COMATs or Level 2 as I've heard UWorld is all you need.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone on their second pass of Uw actually doing worse as they progress through the qbank or is it just me? :p

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea when to take the UWSAs? Have about 3 weeks of dedicated.
Basically finished the Dorain deck. About finished with my second pass of uworld. I took NBME 6 about 3 months ago. Got 235.

Reactions: 1 user
Any idea when to take the UWSAs? Have about 3 weeks of dedicated.
Basically finished the Dorain deck. About finished with my second pass of uworld. I took NBME 6 about 3 months ago. Got 235.
Start with UWSA1 now NBME 8 next week, save UWSA2 and free 120 for the last 10-5 days.

Reactions: 2 users
ah step 2 stress there you are. Woke up today and was hit by a freight train of stress. Probably because I realized I take my exam in 17 days.

• Care
ah step 2 stress there you are. Woke up today and was hit by a freight train of stress. Probably because I realized I take my exam in 17 days.
I took all of yesterday off to be with my fiancée. At the end of the day she said “it’s crazy that you only have 12 or so days left” and the panic set in.

• Wow
  • Haha
I took all of yesterday off to be with my fiancée. At the end of the day she said “it’s crazy that you only have 12 or so days left” and the panic set in.
lol did you consider calling off the engagement after she reminded you?

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Not step 2, but have any of you other bone wizards taken comsaes for level 2 CE? Just took 105 and got a 578. Perfectly happy with that, just curious if it underpredicts like they did for level 1

Not step 2, but have any of you other bone wizards taken comsaes for level 2 CE? Just took 105 and got a 578. Perfectly happy with that, just curious if it underpredicts like they did for level 1
I only took 104 for Level 2. I got a 770. But I didn’t take it exactly under exam conditions. Not that I look stuff up and it was timed, but like I have a drink and eye drops with me, darker room lighting, and I took longer breaks between sections (pausing? Can’t remember how) than you get on the real thing.

Oh! And biggest difference between all of my practice exams and under scoring day of, is NOT test anxiety or fatigue. ..... I’m a night owl and my brain works better at night. I took my level 2 COMSAE like 10pm-3am (?? Around then), and then of course the real thing at 8am-5pm.

599 on actual Level 2 CE.

(PS I’m sorry I feel like I’m the only one always answering you guys. I certainly don’t mean to dominant all the Step 2/Level 2 info with my N=1 and I’m not narcissistic at all. I’m just trying to help and mine is the only experience I have)

Reactions: 5 users
I only took 104 for Level 2. I got a 770. But I didn’t take it exactly under exam conditions. Not that I look stuff up and it was timed, but like I have a drink and eye drops with me, darker room lighting, and I took longer breaks between sections (pausing? Can’t remember how) than you get on the real thing.

Oh! And biggest difference between all of my practice exams and under scoring day of, is NOT test anxiety or fatigue. ..... I’m a night owl and my brain works better at night. I took my level 2 COMSAE like 10pm-3am (?? Around then), and then of course the real thing at 8am-5pm.

599 on actual Level 2 CE.

(PS I’m sorry I feel like I’m the only one always answering you guys. I certainly don’t mean to dominant all the Step 2/Level 2 info with my N=1 and I’m not narcissistic at all. I’m just trying to help and mine is the only experience I have)
It’s good info to have, thank you for sharing. How did your level 1 go? I scored in the 500s for all my level 1 comsaes (IIRC) and got 600s for the real thing

It’s good info to have, thank you for sharing. How did your level 1 go? I scored in the 500s for all my level 1 comsaes (IIRC) and got 600s for the real thing
Comsaes for level 1 were 551, 397, 554 in that order. First 2 were like a month out, 3rd one was like 2 weeks out.

(1st taken at home at night as described above, 2nd one under strict morning test conditions at school, 3rd one proctored in the afternoon in testing conditions not at school.)

actual Level 1=478

I Was about to ask the same. I haven't really done much for Comlex since I took the OMM comat (got a 99) 2 months ago and Im wondering if I need to take a practice exam or focus on it. I've heard there is a lot of ethics and **** like that idk.

EDIT: Damn people on reddit are saying its like 50% non medical. a little stressy about that

Last edited:
Comsaes for level 1 were 551, 397, 554 in that order. First 2 were like a month out, 3rd one was like 2 weeks out.

(1st taken at home at night as described above, 2nd one under strict morning test conditions at school, 3rd one proctored in the afternoon in testing conditions not at school.)

actual Level 1=478
Honestly, a pass is a pass in COMLEX for me at this point. I just want a decent step

lol boissssssssssss

Yeah step 2 on the 16th, comlex on the 19th

and then a whole year with zero tests

Can't wait to see the day where I can just come back from a rotation with 0 cards and 0 UW questions to do.

Getting wrecked by peds. Doing random tests with all subjects, >80% on everything else but <50% on peds. Ahhh.

Lol this was me during PEDs. Surprisingly hard.
I did okay with the questions when I was actually in my peds block, but that was one of my early rotations and I guess my brain has dumped all of that info since it literally has almost no crossover to any other subject. RIP peds residents who have to take Step 3.

are people really getting every single ethics question right? Im at 71% correct for that category but it shows me as 35th percentile. like wtf. G

I get like 99% of those right.
oof maybe im just dumb then. I've never really "studied" it I just try and pick the one that makes the most sense. I downloaded the turnup to ethics anki deck. hopefully that will shore up the gaps

EDIT: I guess there were step 2 content changes that took place back in November? Man I am really out of the loop. Taking my second practice exam Tmr, UWSA 1. I got a 248 on the amboss self-assessment, I expect to do worse on UW but we will see. 15 days out

Last edited:
oof maybe im just dumb then. I've never really "studied" it I just try and pick the one that makes the most sense. I downloaded the turnup to ethics anki deck. hopefully that will shore up the gaps

EDIT: I guess there were step 2 content changes that took place back in November? Man I am really out of the loop. Taking my second practice exam Tmr, UWSA 1. I got a 248 on the amboss self-assessment, I expect to do worse on UW but we will see. 15 days out
I didn’t ever study it for the test. I just took bioethics and medicolegal courses in undergrad, plus I was a psych major in undergrad, plus I was a nurse. So all those law/ethics/healthcare systems things just come easy to me.

What % correct is everyone aiming for with UWorld? I have no idea how to gauge how I'm doing besides comparing to the average, I feel like it was much more clear cut for Step 1 though.

What % correct is everyone aiming for with UWorld? I have no idea how to gauge how I'm doing besides comparing to the average, I feel like it was much more clear cut for Step 1 though.
My personal goal was 70%, though now I've moved it to 72%

My personal goal was 70%, though now I've moved it to 72%
I'm tracking dedicated % correct in a separate document from my overall, so not sure if I should aim for that to be higher than my overall? Meh. I can't wait to be done with this.

I don't think it matters as long as you're reviewing your incorrects and actually learning something from each question.

Did a full day simulation today:

242 on NBME 8, followed by 86,6% correct (104/120) on the old free120.

NBME 8 was kinda decent... I think it's the best NBME form available if someone doesn't have time to do all 3.

I'm tracking dedicated % correct in a separate document from my overall, so not sure if I should aim for that to be higher than my overall? Meh. I can't wait to be done with this.
I’m doing the same, but it’s also because my dedicated started with a reset of uworld

currently at 80% overall, but my past 10 sets of 40 put me at an average of 85% or so. Goal is 90% on last 10 sets.

UWSA 1 report: This was my reaction immediately after each block. I took a 10 min break between each one. Full summary at the end.

Block 1: really really hard. almost ran out of time, did not feel confident on most of them

Block 2: Felt a little better, but still really rushed for time

Block 3: Felt a little better. Did better on time but still not as good as usual. None of these feel like Uworld questions. Its so vague. I'm getting tired, and the fatigue might be helping a little because I'm too tired to freak out lol. At this point I am just praying I pass

Block 4: this one felt the least wtf, but there were several questions where I really did not know what they wanted, and could not even really narrow it down.

Final result: 64% correct (58/68/70/63), 232. Good god lol and I changed 7 from correct to incorrect..... This felt like the hardest set up Uworld questions I have ever gotten hands down. I'm curious if anyone feels the same.Im just happy I passed, and that technically I was one point higher than my Step 1 score. If I get this in real life Im going to apply only peds and FM, it wont even be worth it to apply med/peds lol

Also the math on this is super wonky, because if you add up all the scores I'm 1% higher than the overall but I'm 32 percentile? that math really does not add?. I saved the UWSA dorian cards, maybe other people are not? or they do it untimed or something?

I'm unsure how to feel. My Uworld score (70%), COMATS (75th percentile average), and AMBOSS SA (248) would indicate this may be a fluke, but UWSAs are supposed to be the end all be all. Anyone got any insight for me?

Reactions: 3 users
UWSA 1 report: This was my reaction immediately after each block. I took a 10 min break between each one. Full summary at the end.

Block 1: really really hard. almost ran out of time, did not feel confident on most of them

Block 3: Felt a little better. Did better on time but still not as good as usual. None of these feel like Uworld questions. Its so vague. I'm getting tired, and the fatigue might be helping a little because I'm too tired to freak out lol. At this point I am just praying I pass

Block 4: this one felt the least wtf, but there were several questions where I really did not know what they wanted, and could not even really narrow it down.

Final result: 64% correct (58/68/70/63), 232. Good god lol and I changed 7 from correct to incorrect..... This felt like the hardest set up Uworld questions I have ever gotten hands down. I'm curious if anyone feels the same.Im just happy I passed, and that technically I was one point higher than my Step 1 score. If I get this in real life Im going to apply only peds and FM, it wont even be worth it to apply med/peds lol

Also the math on this is super wonky, because if you add up all the scores I'm 1% higher than the overall but I'm 32 percentile? that math really does not add?. I saved the UWSA dorian cards, maybe other people are not? or they do it untimed or something?

I'm unsure how to feel. My Uworld score (70%), COMATS (75th percentile average), and AMBOSS SA (248) would indicate this may be a fluke, but UWSAs are supposed to be the end all be all. Anyone got any insight for me?
I got the exact same score, felt exact same way difficulty-wise. A few weeks (2?) of studying later and my UWSA2 was 256.

Planning on taking it some point this week, will report back. Seems like it may just be kind of a crappy test?

My friend failed it (and an NBME) and they got a 250+ on Step 1. Hence why I'm kind of starting to freak out.

Planning on taking it some point this week, will report back. Seems like it may just be kind of a crappy test?

My friend failed it (and an NBME) and they got a 250+ on Step 1. Hence why I'm kind of starting to freak out.
Oof, I had a friend tell me they failed it to, but know idea what they got on step 1

Oof, I had a friend tell me they failed it to, but know idea what they got on step 1
Yup. When I heard that I started to get my motivation to study. I lowkey wondered whether I even need to take Step 2 at all lol, I am feeling far less confident than I was for Step 1. Disappointed in my UWorld performance.

On light review, I’m seeing a lot of stupid mistakes probabaly caused by my panic.
Or at least that’s what I’m telling myself. I’ll take NBME 8 on Saturday

mighy go change all those “correct to incorrects” to correct just to see what happens to my score. If it’s a major game changer, I’ll feel much better

Last edited:
so sorry to keep posting, but as yall know I basically use SDN as my boards diary lol.

The position I am in feels a little weird compared to last summer. My first NBME I failed, and I did not break out sub 210 until my third practice exam. I only reached my actual score once, and only broke 220 once on a non UWSA. So compared to that Im starting off much better, but at the same time, its a trash score to start at considering my goals. Predict my step score has me at 247 with a plus or minus of 10, which is a little broader than I would like, but I take minor comfort that all of those scores are higher than my original of 231, even if they are not percentile wise.

idk it just feels weird to be downtrodden about a percentile I would've been overjoyed to start with last summer. it makes me want to take another practice exam tmr lol.