USMLE Official 2021 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right y'all, let's get this party started. Here's to a smooth sailing third year, no Prometric drama with Step 2, in-person aways and interviews, and no CS/hopefully PE.

School: bone wizard

Step 1: mid 230s
Level 1: mid 570s

Step 2 goal: 250+
Level 2 goal: 600+

Interests: EM, OB/GYN (distant second)

Rotations (in order): Peds, IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, Surgery, EM, OB/GYN and then several electives mixed in

Resources: UWorld, Online MedEd, Tzanki deck since it's shorter and the Step 1 decks burned me out, might check out B&B for Step 2 when it comes out since Dr. Ryan saved my butt on Step 1

My rotations go until the end of June and unfortunately my schedule is pretty backloaded with my final 3 rotations being EM, OB and ICU so I guess that means I'll be taking Step 2 in early July. Obviously I'm not sure how auditions/aways will be playing out next summer and if PE will be a thing so a lot up in the air right now in terms of scheduling. My school does COMATs for our shelf exams but I don't plan on using any DO-specific resources for COMATs or Level 2 as I've heard UWorld is all you need.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
74% on amboss self assesment...done with first round of uworld with 66%.....gave nbme 6, 3 weeks ago-230.....my goal is 250+..
Any advise guys....should i try amboss or start second round of uworld?

74% on amboss self assesment...done with first round of uworld with 66%.....gave nbme 6, 3 weeks ago-230.....my goal is 250+..
Any advise guys....should i try amboss or start second round of uworld?
LOL we have the exact same scores on AMBOSS SA and NBME 6!

It depends on how much time you have. If you can't complete a second pass, do your incorrects. AMBOSS qbank is pretty good. I like it so far

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I do the Amboss free assessment Tmr? or does it expire today?
1620485869876.png

Reactions: 1 user
sounds great....keep going......have u given any uwsa yet?
Not yet! I am leaving UWSAs and Free120s for the last month.
Getting wrecked by 4 hammer Amboss Step 2 Ck questions. Anyone use amboss? the 4 hammers are even impossible. 5 hammers forget it I don't even do them haha
Bro, I tried doing 2-5 hammer blocks for 2-3 days and got completely wrecked (55% average or smth like that)

Now I am doing 1-4 hammer blocks with 70-80% correct on those.

I am getting every other 4 hammer question wrong though. Still it is good practice!

Also the percentile thing is very weird. How can 78% correct place you on the 91st percentile for example? crazy.

Not yet! I am leaving UWSAs and Free120s for the last month.

Bro, I tried doing 2-5 hammer blocks for 2-3 days and got completely wrecked (55% average or smth like that)

Now I am doing 1-4 hammer blocks with 70-80% correct on those.

I am getting every other 4 hammer question wrong though. Still it is good practice!

Also the percentile thing is very weird. How can 78% correct place you on the 91st percentile for example? crazy.
78% correct is very good for amboss. 91st percentil for 78% correct bc i think they know how hard Amboss is? I am just worried that my comat scores wont translate to success on step since I dont kno how hard comats are compared to NBME shelves if anyone has taken both please comment on comparison of difficulty lol. Despite doing very well on comats I feel super behind yall on step 2 studying im getting wrecked by amboss and UWorld its just so demoralizing lol idk what to do I dont do any anki but have done comquest and Uworld for every shelf theres just so much to know

Last edited:
78% correct is very good for amboss. 91st percentil for 78% correct bc i think they know how hard Amboss is? I am just worried that my comat scores wont translate to success on step since I dont kno how hard comats are compared to NBME shelves if anyone has taken both please comment on comparison of difficulty lol. Despite doing very well on comats I feel super behind yall on step 2 studying im getting wrecked by amboss and UWorld its just so demoralizing lol idk what to do I dont do any anki but have done comquest and Uworld for every shelf theres just so much to know
You can do the new CMS forms (forms 5,6 for each shelf) if you the time. I did some bc im an IMG and we don't have shelves here. They supplement Uw IMO and their didactic value is great for certain concepts, although some qs are written poorly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished the Amboss self-assessment. Did really well on the first 2 blocks, got an 80%. Struggled with the last 2 and got a 68% on both. A cursory glance seems to show 25-50% of my mistakes were getting it down to two choices and choosing the wrong one or reading too fast. Seems like reading too fast really got me on peds questions. I'm very curious to see what my three-digit score will be when they release that. Overall a 74% doesn't seem like a bad place to start 6 weeks from exam day, but what do I know.

5% bummed because after the first two really thought I would kill it lol

Just finished the Amboss self-assessment. Did really well on the first 2 blocks, got an 80%. Struggled with the last 2 and got a 68% on both. A cursory glance seems to show 25-50% of my mistakes were getting it down to two choices and choosing the wrong one or reading too fast. Seems like reading too fast really got me on peds questions. I'm very curious to see what my three-digit score will be when they release that. Overall a 74% doesn't seem like a bad place to start 6 weeks from exam day, but what do I know.

5% bummed because after the first two really thought I would kill it lol
That is just.... amazing
1620627180414.png

• Wow
I am very skeptical of the amboss self assessment. I expect most people are sticking to uworld for their main step 2 prep and maybe NBMEs for practice tests, and anybody packing on extra services beyond that is likely an overachiever/gunning for a higher score. So I imagine if they are standardizing based on the testing pool at all, it’s going to skew low. I’m sure they already have data for how people did on their assessments vs. step 2, so I can’t imagine any other legit reason for a delayed score release except some standardization unless it’s just for drama purposes/simulating how we have to wait for the real thing.

Either way it tells me I need to study more. 3 blocks of 73/27 (1, 3, and 4) and one of 68/32 (2). I did abysmal on peds - as far as the disciplines go, it was the only one marked lower - but I already knew that was going to be my problem category going in. I have my peds COMAT next Friday and I’ve been doing everything but studying peds with all the VSAS chaos and trying to get all this bs administrative paperwork my school wants finished. I also hate the discipline, hate my rotation, and dislike my preceptor so my motivation has been exceptionally low.

Reactions: 1 users
I am very skeptical of the amboss self assessment. I expect most people are sticking to uworld for their main step 2 prep and maybe NBMEs for practice tests, and anybody packing on extra services beyond that is likely an overachiever/gunning for a higher score. So I imagine if they are standardizing based on the testing pool at all, it’s going to skew low. I’m sure they already have data for how people did on their assessments vs. step 2, so I can’t imagine any other legit reason for a delayed score release except some standardization unless it’s just for drama purposes/simulating how we have to wait for the real thing.

Either way it tells me I need to study more. 3 blocks of 73/27 (1, 3, and 4) and one of 68/32 (2). I did abysmal on peds - as far as the disciplines go, it was the only one marked lower - but I already knew that was going to be my problem category going in. I have my peds COMAT next Friday and I’ve been doing everything but studying peds with all the VSAS chaos and trying to get all this bs administrative paperwork my school wants finished. I also hate the discipline, hate my rotation, and dislike my preceptor so my motivation has been exceptionally low.
I expect the curve to be a mess, but my view is probably scewed from seeing a ton of people on reddit posting how they got 90s on every block. I did bad on peds too. Seems like peds questions are always the one where it can be easy to narrow it down but feels almost impossible to choose the actual correct answer.

I did get an ALS question right which is a big win for me, since in UWORLD I've gotten 9/10 ALS questions wrong.....

I expect the curve to be a mess, but my view is probably scewed from seeing a ton of people on reddit posting how they got 90s on every block. I did bad on peds too. Seems like peds questions are always the one where it can be easy to narrow it down but feels almost impossible to choose the actual correct answer.

I did get an ALS question right which is a big win for me, since in UWORLD I've gotten 9/10 ALS questions wrong.....
Peds questions where very tough on that assessment. I also got lowest performance on peds, when it is my 2nd strongest subject on Uw.

AMBOSS SA results are out. I got 242 - ( 74% correct )as my predicted score. It is pretty weird bc a friend of mine got 241 when we had 6 more questions correct. The average of the SA was 230 - 65% correct i think.

AMBOSS SA results are out. I got 242 - ( 74% correct )as my predicted score. It is pretty weird bc a friend of mine got 241 when we had 6 more questions correct. The average of the SA was 230 - 65% correct i think.
hey i got 249...how is it possibe...we both had same 74 percent correct.

hey i got 249...how is it possibe...we both had same 74 percent correct.
From what I understand, a lot have to do with exam date and your incorrects. If you had a lot of relatively easy questions wrong, your score goes done (that's what happened to my buddy)

74% correct, 248. Not a bad place to start I suppose, kinda surprised that is only 54th percentile though? I thought a 250 was 60th?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
74% correct, 248. Not a bad place to start I suppose, kinda surprised that is only 54th percentile though? I thought a 250 was 60th?
Congrats, really good place to start indeed! Crazy that we had the same scores on each block but such a huge difference lol.

243 on it! There’s a rock star at my rotation site who pulled a 264. I was super impressed.

Reactions: 2 users
230 (35 incorrects) on NBME 7. That test was brutal and very poorly written, but from what I've heard it underpredicts.

Amboss percentiles for the SA were updated.

went from a 54th to 78th...... seems pretty sus

Not putting much stock into the score, but I’m happy I got 70% correct without having gone through peds yet. The motivation to do a full blown dedicated again is just not there for me..

UWSA 1 just kicked my ass. Got a 232, 28th percentile with 64% correct. My block scores compared to average were average, +5%, +7%, and -8%.

Not sure how that equals out to such a low score, but I guess I can only go up from here....

• Care
UWSA 1 just kicked my ass. Got a 232, 28th percentile with 64% correct. My block scores compared to average were average, +5%, +7%, and -8%.

Not sure how that equals out to such a low score, but I guess I can only go up from here....
Yeah some of that UWorld math doesn’t seem to add up.

4% above average overall but 28th percentile? sounds like Uworld is broken lol

Just did the new free 120 and hit 86%. I can’t be doing that bad. Honestly think I just don’t have the endurance built up quite enough yet for UWorld SA. Until this past week I had been doing sets of 20, untimed, tutor mode. Starting tomorrow I will be doing 2 sets of 40, timed tutor back to back to build my stamina.

Reactions: 4 users

UWSA1 isn't as predictive as many people think...

• Care
Just took UWSA1, got a 249 - 62nd percentile (74% correct). It felt tough af.

Block scores compared to the avg = +18%, +0%, +19%, +4%

Last edited:
Just took UWSA1, got a 249 - 62nd percentile (74% correct). It felt tough af.

Block scores compared to the avg = +18%, +0%, +19%, +4%
Really not looking forward to taking a UWSA. Probably going to do one next week after relearning biostats, but terrified of a repeat of last year where I got a failing grade on my first practice exam.

Really not looking forward to taking a UWSA. Probably going to do one next week after relearning biostats, but terrified of a repeat of last year where I got a failing grade on my first practice exam.
With that 248 on AMBOSS SA, no way! You'll get like 252

So what is the consensus on the NBME practice exams? I'm taking one tomorrow and I'm not sure which I should take/how much they under/overpredict
From what I've read, it seems like NBME 8 is the most predictive. I guess NBME 7 is brutal and confidence-crushing but I don't know much about NBME 6. I'm doing NBME 8 as a baseline in a couple weeks and that will be the only NBME exam I do.

From what I've read, it seems like NBME 8 is the most predictive. I guess NBME 7 is brutal and confidence-crushing but I don't know much about NBME 6. I'm doing NBME 8 as a baseline in a couple weeks and that will be the only NBME exam I do.
Looks like 8 is maybe what I’ll give a go at tomorrow. Not stoked for it, but I always did hate practice exams.

Looks like 8 is maybe what I’ll give a go at tomorrow. Not stoked for it, but I always did hate practice exams.
yeah I've never been a big fan of them either. For step 2 I only did UWSA 1 and 2. Wanted to do Free120 as well but didn't even get to do that. I did not do any NBMEs.

yeah I've never been a big fan of them either. For step 2 I only did UWSA 1 and 2. Wanted to do Free120 as well but didn't even get to do that. I did not do any NBMEs.
My subpar score on UWSA 1 is pushing me to do as many practice exams as I can. That being said, I still blame my poor performance on lack of endurance and too much drinking the night beforehand.

My subpar score on UWSA 1 is pushing me to do as many practice exams as I can. That being said, I still blame my poor performance on lack of endurance and too much drinking the night beforehand.
yeah the latter was a bad idea haha. I don't know I get like a test day adrenaline endurance thing so I don't try to buildup to multiple full length days. And I def never did like a marathon UWSA + Free120 day like some people do.