USMLE Official 2021 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right y'all, let's get this party started. Here's to a smooth sailing third year, no Prometric drama with Step 2, in-person aways and interviews, and no CS/hopefully PE.

School: bone wizard

Step 1: mid 230s
Level 1: mid 570s

Step 2 goal: 250+
Level 2 goal: 600+

Interests: EM, OB/GYN (distant second)

Rotations (in order): Peds, IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, Surgery, EM, OB/GYN and then several electives mixed in

Resources: UWorld, Online MedEd, Tzanki deck since it's shorter and the Step 1 decks burned me out, might check out B&B for Step 2 when it comes out since Dr. Ryan saved my butt on Step 1

My rotations go until the end of June and unfortunately my schedule is pretty backloaded with my final 3 rotations being EM, OB and ICU so I guess that means I'll be taking Step 2 in early July. Obviously I'm not sure how auditions/aways will be playing out next summer and if PE will be a thing so a lot up in the air right now in terms of scheduling. My school does COMATs for our shelf exams but I don't plan on using any DO-specific resources for COMATs or Level 2 as I've heard UWorld is all you need.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Oof, just spent an hour reading stories of people who failed on reddit because its all I can think about. As a DO I'm HEAVILY considering canceling. Im just really worried about going to get psyched out by the vagueness on test day and just lose control like i did for UWSA1

Failing seems so much easier since a passing score in 209 instead of 194. Can't seem to stop psyching myself out

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Oof, just spent an hour reading stories of people who failed on reddit because its all I can think about. As a DO I'm HEAVILY considering canceling. Im just really worried about going to get psyched out by the vagueness on test day and just lose control like i did for UWSA1

Failing seems so much easier since a passing score in 209 instead of 194. Can't seem to stop psyching myself out
You’ll be good dude (or dudette), just put in the work and trust it. I’m still semi-freaked out but I know I always feel this way immediately after exams.

I will say that divine helped for a lot of them, some of them you just can’t predict and have super screwball answers/are super screwball questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, was buying craft beer. All done, feel worse coming out of it than step 1, but I think that’s likely because it felt more vague and had a bunch of hospital admin style things on it. Glad it’s over with, the relief is small though. I won’t feel better until I get my score, but for tonight, I’ve got a brand new bottle of Auchentoshan Lowland Scotch and some 4 packs (including a triple IPA) and some good pizza and friends to celebrate with. Best of luck my friends, it comes faster than you think and is over in a second.
Congrats on being done!

How was the question style? Did it feel closer to the new free 120 or UWSAs? My exam is in 4 days!
Thanks!

I'm doing 4 blocks of UWorld daily, 2 blocks of news and 2 of incorrects. Took UWSA1 on Friday, planned to take NBME 8 this Friday and then free 120 and UWSA2 in my last week. I just have some extra days in my schedule so I'm unsure if I should add another NBME or 2 and take those before 8 or after or what.

Has it been helpful doing blocks of incorrects? I'm debating between just starting completely over and doing 4 blocks or try out what you've been doing.

Last edited:
Only two days of real studying left. Imma spend the day before just watching Dirty USLME videos or flipping through CLinical micro made easy, **** like that. Got good work done today, just always feels like there could be more, but its always like that. Excited and nervous. Exam is Wednesday, then comlex saturday

Reactions: 3 users
Only two days of real studying left. Imma spend the day before just watching Dirty USLME videos or flipping through CLinical micro made easy, **** like that. Got good work done today, just always feels like there could be more, but its always like that. Excited and nervous. Exam is Wednesday, then comlex saturday
Give a listen to some of the divine podcasts on military and quality improvement stuff too. I promise it will help.

Reactions: 1 user
Has it been helpful doing blocks of incorrects? I'm debating between just starting completely over and doing 4 blocks or try out what you've been doing. 44444
It has been helpful because I truthfully don't remember 95% of the questions. I knew I wouldn't have time to do a complete second pass of all of UW so I figured it made more sense not to re-do questions that I got right the first time, especially since if anything my knowledge and skills have improved since then so if I got it right back then in theory I should definitely get it right now.

It has been helpful because I truthfully don't remember 95% of the questions. I knew I wouldn't have time to do a complete second pass of all of UW so I figured it made more sense not to re-do questions that I got right the first time, especially since if anything my knowledge and skills have improved since then so if I got it right back then in theory I should definitely get it right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the new free 120 today. Site crashed initially but ended up with a 78%. Does anyone know how that converts to a real score? Mix of easy and challenging questions

anyone know best way to differentiate staph scalded skin syndrome TEN and SJS? they present similar
I think the main difference is mucosal involvement. I don’t think SSSS has any or it’s rare if they do, so if their mouth has sores in it, you’re down to SJS vs. TEN. And then it’s just the percent of body involvement - anything <10% is SJS and >30% is TEN. I think the stuff in the middle percentage wise is blurry and they’re not going to ask us that unless they’re being total jerks.

• Love
I think the main difference is mucosal involvement. I don’t think SSSS has any or it’s rare if they do, so if their mouth has sores in it, you’re down to SJS vs. TEN. And then it’s just the percent of body involvement - anything <10% is SJS and >30% is TEN. I think the stuff in the middle percentage wise is blurry and they’re not going to ask us that unless they’re being total jerks.
Incredible. Thank you!

Incredible. Thank you!
This is the way I remember it
SSS
Cause: Exfoliative toxin
Clinical features: Fever; generalized erythema; epidermal sheading
Outcome: Heals with no scar
Complications: Fluid accumulation; bullous impetigo

SJS
Defined as: Severe skin reaction involving necrosis of the epidermis
Cause: Type IV hypersensitivity drug reaction
Trigger: Drugs
Clinical features: Prodrome of 1-3 days of fever and malaise; starts on the face and chest, spreading symmetrically, eventually progressing to vesicles to bullae that slough off skin

Jesus from some of these stories on reddit you would think UWORLD, NBMEs, and Dorian don't prepare at all for the actual exam.

This has got to be people just over remembering the hard parts right? I gotta delete reddit from my phone for the next two days lol

So. What's everyone's game plan for between step and COMLEX? Tbh I feel like I'm going to do nothing lol, but I am a bit nervous since I've heard like 1/2 of COMLEX is all ethics and stuff....may quickly run through the turnup2ethics deck in the next couple of days. That divine deck looks nice but wayyyy too long at this point to even bother. Gonna accept the knowledge I have at this point I think.

So. What's everyone's game plan for between step and COMLEX? Tbh I feel like I'm going to do nothing lol, but I am a bit nervous since I've heard like 1/2 of COMLEX is all ethics and stuff....may quickly run through the turnup2ethics deck in the next couple of days. That divine deck looks nice but wayyyy too long at this point to even bother. Gonna accept the knowledge I have at this point I think.
I haven’t done anything yesterday or today, but my plan is to do OMM stuff this week. Some ComQuest questions here and there. Maybe watch some OME OMM videos. I dunno, gonna play it by ear and get lots of exercise/playing outdoors mountain biking. Plus family is visiting a few days before my exam so not going HAM.

Probably alcohol.

I’m only taking 1 day between. I feel like I know OPP stuff pretty well - went through turn up 2 OMT a while back, which is fantastic. Making a superficial quick cramming run through it wouldn’t hurt you. It’s pretty much gotten me every OMT question I’ve had on my various COMATs so far with decent confidence. The turn up 2 ethics deck is <200 cards - you can definitely knock that out in 1 day if you haven’t looked at it yet.

I’m going to go explore the city I’m taking my tests in since I’ve never been there before. I feel like the R&R may benefit my score more than any last minute studying.

Probably alcohol.

I’m only taking 1 day between. I feel like I know OPP stuff pretty well - went through turn up 2 OMT a while back, which is fantastic. Making a superficial quick cramming run through it wouldn’t hurt you. It’s pretty much gotten me every OMT question I’ve had on my various COMATs so far with decent confidence. The turn up 2 ethics deck is <200 cards - you can definitely knock that out in 1 day if you haven’t looked at it yet.

I’m going to go explore the city I’m taking my tests in since I’ve never been there before. I feel like the R&R may benefit my score more than any last minute studying.
Did turnup2omt as well! I like your plans haha. Will likely end up being similar to mine.

Just took step 2ck today, it was honestly so demoralizing and tough. I just hope to pass at this point. I came down to 2 answer choices like every other questions. They do not hold your hand on this exam. Lot of step 1 information (pathology slides), military questions, SOAP notes, and ethics. Divine will give you a chance to get these questions right but it’s not a guarantee that he covers everything unfortunately. I just feel like we are stuck in a time period where resources haven’t caught up yet to the new material.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Just took step 2ck today, it was honestly so demoralizing and tough. I just hope to pass at this point. I came down to 2 answer choices like every other questions. They do not hold your hand on this exam. Lot of step 1 information (pathology slides), military questions, SOAP notes, and ethics. Divine will give you a chance to get these questions right but it’s not a guarantee that he covers everything unfortunately. I just feel like we are stuck in a time period where resources haven’t caught up yet to the new material.
Exactly how I felt man. I’m sure we’ll both do well though.

Reactions: 2 users
This sucks but if you found it hard chances are everyone else did too. It still seems like UWSA2 is being pretty predictive for most so I'd try and trust your practice scores. Although I know I will probably be freaking out after I take mine lol

Just finished free 120. Got a 79%.

Looks like for better or worse I'm taking the exam. I felt absolutely awful while taking this. Felt for sure (until the last block) I would be getting at least below a 70. I guess the good thing about that is its a decent preproation for how I will feel on the exam lol

scores are 78/78/83

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Also my comlex plan is to just cram ethics and OMM the two days between my exams. Ive kinda kept up with turn up since my OMM comat. I plan to just practice drawing out the VS diagram, champan diagram, and CS diagram and call it a day

Just finished free 120. Got a 79%.

Looks like for better or worse I'm taking the exam. I felt absolutely awful while taking this. Felt for sure (until the last block) I would be getting at least below a 70. I guess the good thing about that is its a decent preproation for how I will feel on the exam lol

scores are 78/78/83
Congrats! That's an amazing score for the new free120!

Upon review I got like 9-10 of the easiest questions wrong on that exam because I overthought and went into a spiral of thinking that every question was tricky/ difficult. I hope that doesn't happen on Wednesday.

Congrats! That's an amazing score for the new free120!

Upon review I got like 9-10 of the easiest questions wrong on that exam because I overthought and went into a spiral of thinking that every question was tricky/ difficult. I hope that doesn't happen on Wednesday.
we going to be kings bro.

• Love
255 on NBME 8. Definitely way harder than NBME 6, lots of that UW feeling of "I'm not sure this is correct but it seems like the least incorrect....". Honestly thought I was going to do way worse than I did on NBME 6.

Edit: 89% correct. missed 3/7/6/4.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
1 day before exam. Strangely calm. Reviewing biostats and preventive medicine, watching and doing some ethics cards.
Proud of the work I’ve done.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users