USMLE Official 2021 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right y'all, let's get this party started. Here's to a smooth sailing third year, no Prometric drama with Step 2, in-person aways and interviews, and no CS/hopefully PE.

School: bone wizard

Step 1: mid 230s
Level 1: mid 570s

Step 2 goal: 250+
Level 2 goal: 600+

Interests: EM, OB/GYN (distant second)

Rotations (in order): Peds, IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, Surgery, EM, OB/GYN and then several electives mixed in

Resources: UWorld, Online MedEd, Tzanki deck since it's shorter and the Step 1 decks burned me out, might check out B&B for Step 2 when it comes out since Dr. Ryan saved my butt on Step 1

My rotations go until the end of June and unfortunately my schedule is pretty backloaded with my final 3 rotations being EM, OB and ICU so I guess that means I'll be taking Step 2 in early July. Obviously I'm not sure how auditions/aways will be playing out next summer and if PE will be a thing so a lot up in the air right now in terms of scheduling. My school does COMATs for our shelf exams but I don't plan on using any DO-specific resources for COMATs or Level 2 as I've heard UWorld is all you need.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
1 day before exam. Strangely calm. Reviewing biostats and preventive medicine, watching and doing some ethics cards.
Proud of the work I’ve done.
Same! Gonna re-listen to episodes 37, 97, 184, 201, 231 from divine, and review some general stuff like screening, vaccination schedule etc.

I recommend you take a look at these articles from amboss

Vaccination schedule (especially adult vaccination schedules) : AMBOSS: medical knowledge platform for doctors and students

Screening recommendations: AMBOSS: medical knowledge platform for doctors and students

Reactions: 3 users
Signing off for the day.

Good luck to @ohmanwaddup ! You are gonna kill it!

I'll try to do a small write-up tomorrow after my test describing the type of questions and my overall experience etc.

P.S. Mentally and emotionally exhausted from preping for this test. I hope everything goes well.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Signing off for the day.

Good luck to @ohmanwaddup ! You are gonna kill it!

I'll try to do a small write-up tomorrow after my test describing the type of questions and my overall experience etc.

P.S. Mentally and emotionally exhausted from preping for this test. I hope everything goes well.
Ill see you on the other side brother

Reactions: 1 users
Yo, I am having the hardest time really studying OMM. I’m also pretty sure I’m hemorrhaging question knowledge. Really hope I can hold enough to do decently on level 2

Alright so half way done report.

so far it’s neither good nor bad. I have no idea how I feel lol. What it isn’t though is the utter dystopian hell some people on Reddit were making it out to be

Well got my score. Ended up with a 239, which isn't amazing, but it is an 11 point improvement over step 1. Was hoping to break 245, but given I was worried if I was even going to pass and the fact I'm not going into anything competitive, I'm pretty pleased

• Love
266 UWSA2. Lol what. Felt like absolute crap taking it, literally flagged like almost half the block on 3 out of 4 blocks.

84% correct, 92nd percentile. Block breakdown of 88/75/90/85.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

so far it’s neither good nor bad. I have no idea how I feel lol. What it isn’t though is the utter dystopian hell some people on Reddit were making it out to be
You got this. Keep grinding along, and remember that freedom is near. At least, that's what kept me going.

Totally agree. Most blocks felt doable!

So I am done! (It's like 9pm in Greece).

Thoughts:
- Felt like a mixture of the UWSAs for the most part but had also had some NBME8/FREE120 style of questions.
- 50% - 60% were UW concepts, presented in a different way
- 8-10 questions on vaccine schedules (lol)
- Military questions were doable
- Had 2 or 3 double question stems that needed answer confirmation in order to proceed
- 3 heart sounds (relatively easy), 4 ECGs
- 50% of ethics were concepts tested on UW/ Divine
- 5/8 blocks felt like UW with a tad bit extra difficulty
- 3/8 felt extremely hard

Tips:
- Had 1 carbon copy picture from free 120, but presented in a way different scenario; and also my classmate who was taking it with me today had a different than mine free 120 picture, again presented in an diff. way, so now exactly what those images from free120 represent
- 2 or 3 very similar q's from UWSA2
- Abstract blocks were 38 questions long, but you definitely needed that extra 3 minutes for them. So when you have an abstract block, don't just leave 4,5 minutes for them.

Just finished. Used all my time. Know 2 I for sure I got wrong, one which really bothers me because I was hovering over the right answer as my time went out

second half was harder, but still doable. Very tired lol

Just finished. Used all my time. Know 2 I for sure I got wrong, one which really bothers me because I was hovering over the right answer as my time went out

Congrats bro!

Ugh going through my incorrects is so frustrating. I'm consistently getting in the 60s-70s per block and it's really demoralizing.

On the bright side, my friend just recently took Step 2 and they scored 15 points higher on the real deal compared to their highest practice test.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Wooooot you're done!! Did you feel doing Dorian helped? I just want to know if all this work I did will somewhat pay off

congrats on finishing! turnaround time for score report is just under 2 weeks so thankfully the agonizing wait isn't too long!

Reactions: 1 user
I know NBME 7 is supposed to be the worst one… but 226? Holy crap. I now feel good about nothing. Starting to wonder if it’s in my best interest to take step 2. :/

• Sad
I know NBME 7 is supposed to be the worst one… but 226? Holy crap. I now feel good about nothing. Starting to wonder if it’s in my best interest to take step 2. :/
you're lucky you have the option of taking it haha

• Haha
I would try taking 8 and then make a final decision. 8 is similar to 7 but with better curve
Really glad you gave me this advice. I decided to just go ahead and take 8 after your post see if my knowledge base really sucked that bad… and I went from a 226 on 7 to a 246 on 8. That level of difference is ridiculous for taking them both the same day, but it makes me feel better.

you're lucky you have the option of taking it haha
It’s only sort of optional because I want to apply to a competitive specialty. I think it might tank my options if I skip it even though it’s not technically required :rofl:

Reactions: 2 users
Really glad you gave me this advice. I decided to just go ahead and take 8 after your post see if my knowledge base really sucked that bad… and I went from a 226 on 7 to a 246 on 8. That level of difference is ridiculous for taking them both the same day, but it makes me feel better.

It’s only sort of optional because I want to apply to a competitive specialty. I think it might tank my options if I skip it even though it’s not technically required :rofl:
NBME 7 is trash. Nothing like the actual exam. Some q's reminded me of NBME 8 though.

Also I forgot to mention, I had like 3-4 q's that wanted pharmacotherapy, but only had second line drugs!

Jesus Christ some dude on Reddit got a 280. from his post too Im also starting to think there is a very small questions pool/different forms for this exam.

Anyone know if Wed exams have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for scores? the wait is already too much lol

I figured! I remembered you took 6 early on and got in the 230s, so you could probably do better on 8! Was there a significant difference in percent correct between 7 and 8? Kinda curious what equals what on that exam.

Jesus Christ some dude on Reddit got a 280. from his post too Im also starting to think there is a very small questions pool/different forms for this exam.

Anyone know if Wed exams have to wait 2 or 3 weeks for scores? the wait is already too much lol
Saw this too. Literal insanity. I think it will be about 2 Wednesdays till your score is released. Used to be longer but now it seems like since covid things are shorter

It's literally awful. So many people don't bother taking it because it's just a confidence killer. I remember multiple people from reddit saying it underpredicted them by like 30 points lol.

studying for comlex and it is very hard to be motivated. I said screw it to most of my reviews. Im just doing the OME cards

Watch the vids, Dustyn is helpful. I'm on the struggle train too, only have till next Monday and have family coming into town tomorrow.
mines saturday and im a lil worried about forgetting everything lol. Im just trying to keep up with my turn up to OMT reviews, and then memorize a few OME charts

Doing UWorld incorrects is seriously starting to get on my nerves. Why must they be so hard?!

You know, I always wondered. Is your username referring to the Cardinals, to you wanting to do cardiology, or to your love of Anki?
My undergrad's mascot is a cardinal and I'm a huge fan! Anki on the other hand, very much a love hate relationship with more emphasis on the hate these days lol

Reactions: 3 users
Nice! Did you do anki? and howd you do on UWorld CK
I did the Dorian deck but with most of the NBME decks deleted. For uworld, I got a 68% on my first pass. I was mainly using it as a learning tool. In January I started my second pass through, and now just wrapping up incorrects. When are you testing for CK?

What order have y'all taken the practice exams? I'm probably only planning on doing UWSA 1&2, Free 120, and NBME 8

I did the Dorian deck but with most of the NBME decks deleted. For uworld, I got a 68% on my first pass. I was mainly using it as a learning tool. In January I started my second pass through, and now just wrapping up incorrects. When are you testing for CK?
Awesome! Yeah my first pass has not been so hot I am 52% completed at 68% right now. I havent done dorian I just did UW and comquest for every rotation still have ambulatory med neuro and a bit under half of IM to finish. I am going to take CK after ERAS goes out because my step 1 was high enough where my advisor (I trust him- hes not from my school lol DO school residency advisors are garbage so I bought my own) said I dont need it for ERAS and can take in the fall plus I am not confident in my ability rn to get at least a 255 or higher and dont want to run risk of getting below my step 1. I am beyond burnout so I am going to take about 10 weeks off and just do nothing this summer do a SubI in late august then take a bunch of easy rads and psych electives in the fall while i study