USMLE Official 2021 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right y'all, let's get this party started. Here's to a smooth sailing third year, no Prometric drama with Step 2, in-person aways and interviews, and no CS/hopefully PE.

School: bone wizard

Step 1: mid 230s
Level 1: mid 570s

Step 2 goal: 250+
Level 2 goal: 600+

Interests: EM, OB/GYN (distant second)

Rotations (in order): Peds, IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, Surgery, EM, OB/GYN and then several electives mixed in

Resources: UWorld, Online MedEd, Tzanki deck since it's shorter and the Step 1 decks burned me out, might check out B&B for Step 2 when it comes out since Dr. Ryan saved my butt on Step 1

My rotations go until the end of June and unfortunately my schedule is pretty backloaded with my final 3 rotations being EM, OB and ICU so I guess that means I'll be taking Step 2 in early July. Obviously I'm not sure how auditions/aways will be playing out next summer and if PE will be a thing so a lot up in the air right now in terms of scheduling. My school does COMATs for our shelf exams but I don't plan on using any DO-specific resources for COMATs or Level 2 as I've heard UWorld is all you need.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Man, having to wait another week would suck. But also, maybe not because I scheduled an 11 am apartment tour for Wednesday without thinking and it would be awkward if I slyly check my phone while having intense palpitations and then start crying. So....oh well.
True! I've been checking periodically throughout the day but no dice. Either way, I'll be on rotation when I get it back either this week or next week. Not sure if I should wait to the end of the day to check.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
looking at the Step 2 CK permit like

39B10633-6E33-402A-9505-55ADE01D31F5.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Alright half the people say scores come out tomorrow while the other half say no scores tomorrow.

I think it will be tomorrow. The permit disappear trick never worked for my step 1 either.

how high yield was biostats for you guys? Testing soon and thats by far my weakest area.

Very high yield. I'd suggest the divine intervention stuff on it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright half the people say scores come out tomorrow while the other half say no scores tomorrow.
The people who answer the phone at the NBME don't know what they're talking about 95% of the time. I remember all the wrong info they were giving people back in the covid thanos days. Nothing to do but wait and see unfortunately.

how high yield was biostats for you guys? Testing soon and thats by far my weakest area.
i prefer understanding the concepts which makes it easier than memorizing equations. amboss should have pages on biostats that are helpful

Reactions: 1 users
244 on NBME 8 today (86%). I'll take it! 2.5 weeks left to go

Anyone who took the real deal think it was similar to NBME 8? Thought it was a very reasonable exam, with some answers that are obvious to the point of suspicion lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
244 on NBME with 2.5 weeks to?! You're in amazing shape. Mine was 222 at that point and I died a little inside

I think the curve is just really harsh or something, not too sure how it works. I saw on reddit that someone got a 208 and they had 75% correct, which still takes a lot of preparation to get that many right on such a comprehensive exam.

I think the curve is just really harsh or something, not too sure how it works. I saw on reddit that someone got a 208 and they had 75% correct, which still takes a lot of preparation to get that many right on such a comprehensive exam.

Yeah I think I was in the 70s. When I saw my % correct I was pretty happy. Idk about y'all, but I was super happy with any >70% Uworld blocks.

FWIW my permit never disappeared before I got my step 1 score.
Can't speak to the FSMB trick not working though

No one's permit disappeared on the interweb. FMBS trick for IMGs doesn't look like it was working for them. Thoughts @fldoctorgirl
Thinking it'll be next week. Also think it's BS and makes no sense that they're releasing step 1 scores but not 2 or 3. I got my step 1 score the Wednesday after July 4th last year and seems like they're still releasing step 1 this year.

Edit: people said they called their schools and their schools said they got no scores. So....nope. Absolute BS.

Last edited:
244 on NBME 8 today (84%). I'll take it! 2.5 weeks left to go

Anyone who took the real deal think it was similar to NBME 8? Thought it was a very reasonable exam, with some answers that are obvious to the point of suspicion lol
I found NBME 8 to be much more straightforward and easy than the real thing tbh.

244 on NBME 8 today (86%). I'll take it! 2.5 weeks left to go

Some questions were NBME 8 style-like, but still not that easy.

Some questions were NBME 8 style-like, but still not that easy.
I had questions on step 2 that were WAY easy. Those questions cost me lots of time trying to look for the trick, then I felt like I got away with something. There weren't a lot like that, but I do remember at least ~5 or so.

I'm sure those were some of the 25% of the test that gets thrown out, but that was *my* experience.

Thinking it'll be next week. Also think it's BS and makes no sense that they're releasing step 1 scores but not 2 or 3. I got my step 1 score the Wednesday after July 4th last year and seems like they're still releasing step 1 this year.

Edit: people said they called their schools and their schools said they got no scores. So....nope. Absolute BS.
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get our scores until 8/25 at this rate.

Alright so I took Step 1 two months ago. Scored a 249. My interests as an M3 on first rotation is either FM, IM, PMR. Definitely nothing surgical. When should i take step 2 next year? I'm trying to weigh the pros of getting it done with, but then delaying it means I don't have to stress so much about studying early M4 year to take it (say in June).

So thoughts?

Alright so I took Step 1 two months ago. Scored a 249. My interests as an M3 on first rotation is either FM, IM, PMR. Definitely nothing surgical. When should i take step 2 next year? I'm trying to weigh the pros of getting it done with, but then delaying it means I don't have to stress so much about studying early M4 year to take it (say in June).

So thoughts?
I think if you keep up with material well throughout third year and don't feel too burned at the end of it, take it that summer. Your knowledge base will be freshest. Some programs have a soft requirement for having a step 2 score before interview season.

85% on the free 120, 90/83/83. My plan for the next few days is review the free 120 tonight, probably one more block of UWorld incorrects tomorrow and then listen to the handful of recommended Divine Intervention podcasts tomorrow and Sunday before my exam on Monday. Tomorrow will be my last Anki day. Predicted score is 263 +/- 18, goal is 250.

Reactions: 5 users
I think if you keep up with material well throughout third year and don't feel too burned at the end of it, take it that summer. Your knowledge base will be freshest. Some programs have a soft requirement for having a step 2 score before interview season.

Do you know if FM is a field whose programs have a soft requirement for Step 2 score in before interviews?

Permit is gone now
FINALLY

*EDIT*
And before anyone asks, NO, my eligibility period is not even close to expiring. Took test week of 6/21

Last edited:
tested on 06/28 and permit disappeared. Does that mean I'll get my score then too?
Tested on 6/30 and I just checked because of your post - mine is gone, too. I feel like I’m going to puke. I thought I could sit around in ignorant bliss until the end of August.

Reactions: 3 users
The fact that I can't check my permit because it's gone because my eligibility is over is painful. Hoping it's this week.

The fact that I can't check my permit because it's gone because my eligibility is over is painful. Hoping it's this week.
I tested after you and mine is gone... Although with this wacky organization idk if that sort of logic should even be trusted

Holy guacamole what is this exam?! I’m halfway done and feel like I’m getting wrecked between half stupid easy questions and half wtf is this type questions.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Holy guacamole what is this exam?! I’m halfway done and feel like I’m getting wrecked between half stupid easy questions and half wtf is this type questions.
Same. I feel like if I was the type of person to flag things, I would have flagged 1/3 of the test. I just went back through every single question twice to avoid the psychological burden of knowing how many things I was unsure about.

Reactions: 1 user
Welp all done. Don’t really have a feeling about it one way or another, felt like I was making an educated guess on half of the exam. There was a lot of Step 1 stuff on there that I wasn’t expecting so that was fun. Not a lot of biostats, I had all my equations written out and maybe needed them twice. Lots of non-medicine stuff too and felt like I got asked about the same concept repeatedly. Taking Level 2 on Friday.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Welp all done. Don’t really have a feeling about it one way or another, felt like I was making an educated guess on half of the exam. There was a lot of Step 1 stuff on there that I wasn’t expecting so that was fun. Not a lot of biostats, I had all my equations written out and maybe needed them twice. Lots of non-medicine stuff too and felt like I got asked about the same concept repeatedly. Taking Level 2 on Friday.
What do you mean by non medicine stuff?

what would you advise studying for the step 1 material?