USMLE Official 2021 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right y'all, let's get this party started. Here's to a smooth sailing third year, no Prometric drama with Step 2, in-person aways and interviews, and no CS/hopefully PE.

School: bone wizard

Step 1: mid 230s
Level 1: mid 570s

Step 2 goal: 250+
Level 2 goal: 600+

Interests: EM, OB/GYN (distant second)

Rotations (in order): Peds, IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, Surgery, EM, OB/GYN and then several electives mixed in

Resources: UWorld, Online MedEd, Tzanki deck since it's shorter and the Step 1 decks burned me out, might check out B&B for Step 2 when it comes out since Dr. Ryan saved my butt on Step 1

My rotations go until the end of June and unfortunately my schedule is pretty backloaded with my final 3 rotations being EM, OB and ICU so I guess that means I'll be taking Step 2 in early July. Obviously I'm not sure how auditions/aways will be playing out next summer and if PE will be a thing so a lot up in the air right now in terms of scheduling. My school does COMATs for our shelf exams but I don't plan on using any DO-specific resources for COMATs or Level 2 as I've heard UWorld is all you need.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
So I started surgery today and holy awkward I feel like a brand new third year again. I feel like I’m not going to enjoy this rotation at all.

Reactions: 2 users
So I started surgery today and holy awkward I feel like a brand new third year again. I feel like I’m not going to enjoy this rotation at all.
Surgery clinic was the worst.

the OR was fun depending on the length of surgery, and scrubbing in always made me feel important even though I'm not lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Surgery clinic was the worst.

the OR was fun depending on the length of surgery, and scrubbing in always made me feel important even though I'm not lol.
I've heard clinic is pretty chill on my rotation but I just don't like the OR and getting up so early lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the NBME's Clinical Mastery Series (CMS) forms worth purchasing?

I was thinking of doing some of them instead of a second qbank during my dedicated

Just found out today I need to move up my step and comlex by a week, not a fan tbh but oh well.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

I was thinking of doing some of them instead of a second qbank during my dedicated
In my non-expert opinion, not worth it. I did some of the IM and surgery ones

UWORLD is all you need is especially true for STEP 2 CK. My stems were basically UWORLD stems + some more info to force you to ddx between 2-3 things. Then correctly picking PET scan in answer choices and feel uncomfortable af because you never picked it before. There's a lot of "I don't know what's really going on but this sounds right"

They are. Did them back in the day for 2CK. Still recommend them to people who have done really well using them as a secondary question source.

In my non-expert opinion, not worth it. I did some of the IM and surgery ones

UWORLD is all you need is especially true for STEP 2 CK. My stems were basically UWORLD stems + some more info to force you to ddx between 2-3 things. Then correctly picking PET scan in answer choices and feel uncomfortable af because you never picked it before. There's a lot of "I don't know what's really going on but this sounds right"
They are. Did them back in the day for 2CK. Still recommend them to people who have done really well using them as a secondary question source.
Thank you both for your responses!

What’s everyone’s thoughts on best order of practice tests?
What I'm gonna do is. NBME 6, 7, 8, followed by UWSA1 + old free 120 ( to simulate a full length day and evaluate my strenghts), UWSA2 (5-6 days before step2), Free120 new ( 2-3 days before step2)

Last edited:
Does anyone know how predictive nbme 6 is supposed to be? I scored a 245 and am
Unsure what to make of this. I’ve got an average step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how predictive nbme 6 is supposed to be? I scored a 245 and am
Unsure what to make of this. I’ve got an average step 1.
It is supposed to be underpredictive. I think 80% correct is like 220 or something.

What is your Uw %?

Rescheduled step 2 due to start of 4th year being earlier than expected. 3 weeks and 2 days of prep now and taking it 3 days before comlex.

barf

I’m getting antsy to take a practice test. Not anywhere close to my step 2 date (July 7th)... but I’m definitely a little sad there aren’t as many practice forms as were available for step 1.

If I’m gonna throw one away, is there a consensus on which one is least useful for score predicting? I feel like this information is not as easy to find as for step 1.

May take NBME 6 today just because it’s the lowest number and I really want a data point.

I’m getting antsy to take a practice test. Not anywhere close to my step 2 date (July 7th)... but I’m definitely a little sad there aren’t as many practice forms as were available for step 1.

If I’m gonna throw one away, is there a consensus on which one is least useful for score predicting? I feel like this information is not as easy to find as for step 1.

May take NBME 6 today just because it’s the lowest number and I really want a data point.
Id love to know this as well, Im probably going to take a practice exam soon after I finish this block since its my last core

Id love to know this as well, Im probably going to take a practice exam soon after I finish this block since its my last core
So jealous. I have two weeks left on my current rotation, and then I have THREE core rotations left after to be done with third year. I’m finishing up in mid-June, and my very last rotation is surgery with my COMAT on June 18th.

232 on NBME 6! Got impatient and just went for it. No idea how well this correlates to actual test performance (score report says 226-254 predicted but that’s a hell of a range), but considering I’m four months out from the test, I feel like I can only go up from here. It’s a pretty good place to start. There was so much step 1 stuff on there that I’ve forgotten. All those immunodeficiencies, heme stuff, etc. It’s definitely stuff I knew last year.

I’m going to put my step 1 deck back in rotation and just try to do something small IIke 30 reviews/day on top of questions for step 2. That might help me the most tbh.

So jealous. I have two weeks left on my current rotation, and then I have THREE core rotations left after to be done with third year. I’m finishing up in mid-June, and my very last rotation is surgery with my COMAT on June 18th.

232 on NBME 6! Got impatient and just went for it. No idea how well this correlates to actual test performance (score report says 226-254 predicted but that’s a hell of a range), but considering I’m four months out from the test, I feel like I can only go up from here. It’s a pretty good place to start. There was so much step 1 stuff on there that I’ve forgotten. All those immunodeficiencies, heme stuff, etc. It’s definitely stuff I knew last year.

I’m going to put my step 1 deck back in rotation and just try to do something small IIke 30 reviews/day on top of questions for step 2. That might help me the most tbh.
Sounds like a good start!

Kinda terrified to take one, just reminded of how my first NBME for step 1 was a 190, Idk if I can take another hit like that lol

I think instead of using your whole step 1 deck, I would take specific high yield step 1 topics (immunodeficiencies, familial hyperlipidemias, etc). Trying to go through all the step 1 material, especially biochem, would probably be a waste.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m 2 weeks out, not as stressed as I think I should be but terrified at the same time lol
Im about 3 months out, but im way less stressed about step 2 than I was for step 1 at this point last year. Practice questions feel so much better this time around, like I can actually reason through stuff. makes me realize how much for step 1 I was in a "know it or dont" mindset. I could not reason through anything.

Not testing till July. Took NBME 6 as a baseline and I got 237. Anyone knows that this means? Still have a few clerkships to go but covered most content
No idea, but I know that 4 months out from step 1 I was scoring nearly 40 points lower than where I ended up on the real deal.

Here’s to a hopeful 30+ point score boost between now and test day!

Okay I need some real advice here cus these NBMEs are ****ing with me. CK booked for upcoming Apr 1

Beginning of Feb UWSA 1: 213 which was like 64% I think (wasn’t crazy happy but also wasn’t discouraged either as I knew I had a lot of time to improve that score and knew I was making solid progress with uworld)

Feb 22 NBME 6: 174 with 75% correct??? Harsh curve
Mar 4 NBME 7: 194 with 68% correct Doesn’t make sense but sure
Mar 13 NBME 8: 174 with 63% correct

Super bummed, made dumb mistakes but are these NBMEs predictive or are the curves just super harsh?? Exam is in 2 weeks do I push a couple weeks? I am saving UWSA 2 for closer to my exam since they say it is most predictive. I thought my UWSA 1 was pretty solid and my knowledge since then has vastly improved

• Hmm
Okay I need some real advice here cus these NBMEs are ****ing with me. CK booked for upcoming Apr 1

Beginning of Feb UWSA 1: 213 which was like 64% I think (wasn’t crazy happy but also wasn’t discouraged either as I knew I had a lot of time to improve that score and knew I was making solid progress with uworld)

Super bummed, made dumb mistakes but are these NBMEs predictive or are the curves just super harsh?? Exam is in 2 weeks do I push a couple weeks? I am saving UWSA 2 for closer to my exam since they say it is most predictive. I thought my UWSA 1 was pretty solid and my knowledge since then has vastly improved
Those scores seem way too low for that percentage correct. had a similar issue when taking step 1 NBMEs

Hmm I never took any NBMEs before Step 2. Only UWSA 1 and 2.

Yea the vast majority of ppl say the uwsas are best for CK which is why I’ve been saving the second one. I’m just treating the NBMEs as question practice I guess...
Definitely agree with this. UWSA 1 and 2 are the most predictive for Step 2 CK, while NBMEs tend to underpredict. However, the NBMEs can still be valuable for practice, although keep in mind some of the questions are really tough and beyond what would likely show up as a non-experimental question for the real test. Best of luck!

-Darius, Elite Medical Prep tutor

Definitely agree with this. UWSA 1 and 2 are the most predictive for Step 2 CK, while NBMEs tend to underpredict. However, the NBMEs can still be valuable for practice, although keep in mind some of the questions are really tough and beyond what would likely show up as a non-experimental question for the real test. Best of luck!

-Darius, Elite Medical Prep tutor
Yea that’s what a lot of the NBME questions feel like sometimes! Not to mention the harsh curve. I felt good about uwsa1 in feb so as long as my score jumps a lot in uwsa2 which I expect it to, I’m sticking with my exam date.

Anyone remember when they were supposed to take out something like mechanism of action for drugs in Step 1 and move it to Step 2? Any updates on that?

If I have to pull out the sketchy pharm deck imma be real upset

No same lol. Was looking at my old Step 1 qbanks for funsies and saw a MOA of a drug question and remember having a discussion about it in the old Step 1 thread.

its the time of year, when you hit good on an anki card with an interval past your test date

Feel like I've been running into issues with time more so for step2 than step1. Exam is coming up soon so here goes nothing. Hoping for something around practice averages and that I don't start zoning out mid test.

If it helps:
UWSA1 (3 weeks out): 238
NBME8 (2 weeks out): 248
NBME6 (1 week out): 258
UWSA2 (<1 week out): 256

1616436132656.png

• Wow
Hey guys, my time has come. I take the beast early next week. Can you guys give me your thoughts on a range based off my practice scores?

step 1: 232
NBME 6 (4 weeks out): 230
NBME 7 (3 weeks): 240
NBME 8 (2.5 weeks): 247
Old 120: 90%
UWSA1 (2 weeks): 252
UWSA2 (1 week): 249
New 120: 82%

thank you all! hoping for 250+ but won't be too upset if I am > 245

Guys im getting my ass kicked on OBgyn questions on UW lol are these questions harder than other subjects? Maybe its just that Im so dang weak in OBgyn. Im getting like 40s and 50s. usually i get like 60s and 70s

Guys im getting my ass kicked on OBgyn questions on UW lol are these questions harder than other subjects? Maybe its just that Im so dang weak in OBgyn. Im getting like 40s and 50s. usually i get like 60s and 70s
can only speak of comquest, but I was getting beat up hard the first week, and then when I had seen a bunch my score started to creep up.

• Love
I’m pretty much the worst ADHD human ever. I’ve been a disorganized mess all year. I feel like I lose track of the big picture just doing questions and I really started turning my practice scores around once I started using DIT for step 1 last year.

I’m thinking about doing a prep course again. I know all people say you need is Uworld, but I’m really feeling lost in the weeds here right now and I haven’t been motivated to get my questions done. So, here’s the dilemma - Kaplan for step 2 is like 115 hours and I doubt I’ll finish it. I’d have to do more than an hour a day to get it done, and I know me... it’s unlikely, especially since I take Anki notes on the videos which makes them twice as long to watch, and I have a bunch of Uworld questions left as well.

DIT for step 2 is only 60 hours so I feel like I have a chance to get it done plus finish Uworld. But I hear it’s less detailed... but they also said that about DIT for step 1... and it gave me a massive organization and confidence boost and I ended up with a good score. But also, I would really like to improve my step 2 score quite a bit, and if Kaplan is more detailed... :bang:

Ugh. If you guys felt like you HAD to have the structure of a prep course, what prep course would you pick - DIT, Kaplan, or something else?

I’m pretty much the worst ADHD human ever. I’ve been a disorganized mess all year. I feel like I lose track of the big picture just doing questions and I really started turning my practice scores around once I started using DIT for step 1 last year.

I’m thinking about doing a prep course again. I know all people say you need is Uworld, but I’m really feeling lost in the weeds here right now and I haven’t been motivated to get my questions done. So, here’s the dilemma - Kaplan for step 2 is like 115 hours and I doubt I’ll finish it. I’d have to do more than an hour a day to get it done, and I know me... it’s unlikely, especially since I take Anki notes on the videos which makes them twice as long to watch, and I have a bunch of Uworld questions left as well.

DIT for step 2 is only 60 hours so I feel like I have a chance to get it done plus finish Uworld. But I hear it’s less detailed... but they also said that about DIT for step 1... and it gave me a massive organization and confidence boost and I ended up with a good score. But also, I would really like to improve my step 2 score quite a bit, and if Kaplan is more detailed... :bang:

Ugh. If you guys felt like you HAD to have the structure of a prep course, what prep course would you pick - DIT, Kaplan, or something else?
Honestly with ur Step 1 knowledge/score you should be wayyyyy set up to get a solid Step 2 score (260+) just doing UWorld plus incorrects and OME. I personally think Kaplan etc is a scam but thats just me i think it would be more beneficial for someone who has struggled in med school/on step 1. All youll really need is like 4 weeks of prep. Not reallt sure what ur goal score is but 4 weeks of strictly board studying without anything else to worry about should be plenty. But to answer ur question im gonna use the same prep company I used for Step 1 (Step Prep Academy)

Last edited:
Honestly with ur Step 1 knowledge/score you should be wayyyyy set up to get a solid Step 2 score (260+) just doing UWorld plus incorrects and OME. I personally think Kaplan etc is a scam but thats just me i think it would be more beneficial for someone who has struggled in med school/on step 1. All youll really need is like 4 weeks of prep. Not reallt sure what ur goal score is but 4 weeks of strictly board studying without anything else to worry about should be plenty. But to answer ur question im gonna use the same prep company I used for Step 1 (Step Prep Academy)
I’ve never heard of that one before! I’m gonna do some googling. :)

I’ve never heard of that one before! I’m gonna do some googling. :)
So its more geared toward step 1 but the methods can be used for Step 2 and if you let the head tutor know he’ll give you the program for half price. Yes I do tutor for them so i do want to be completely transparent with you Im not trying to sell it just saying that thats what im going to use because it works lol i only tutor for Step 1 obviously but people do buy it and use for Step 2

Took step yesterday! Feel free to reach out if you guys have any questions. Happy to give my thoughts/perspective.

Took step yesterday! Feel free to reach out if you guys have any questions. Happy to give my thoughts/perspective.

Congrats on finishing! How did it compare to UW? Reading last year's thread it seems like Step 2 has had a dramatic increase in difficulty these past few years. The old mantra of "2 months for Step 1, 2 weeks for Step 2, and a #2 pencil for Step 3" seems to no longer hold true. I currently have 5 weeks of dedicated time scheduled but still unsure if I should do more or less.