USMLE Official 2021 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right y'all, let's get this party started. Here's to a smooth sailing third year, no Prometric drama with Step 2, in-person aways and interviews, and no CS/hopefully PE.

School: bone wizard

Step 1: mid 230s
Level 1: mid 570s

Step 2 goal: 250+
Level 2 goal: 600+

Interests: EM, OB/GYN (distant second)

Rotations (in order): Peds, IM, FM, Psych, Neuro, Surgery, EM, OB/GYN and then several electives mixed in

Resources: UWorld, Online MedEd, Tzanki deck since it's shorter and the Step 1 decks burned me out, might check out B&B for Step 2 when it comes out since Dr. Ryan saved my butt on Step 1

My rotations go until the end of June and unfortunately my schedule is pretty backloaded with my final 3 rotations being EM, OB and ICU so I guess that means I'll be taking Step 2 in early July. Obviously I'm not sure how auditions/aways will be playing out next summer and if PE will be a thing so a lot up in the air right now in terms of scheduling. My school does COMATs for our shelf exams but I don't plan on using any DO-specific resources for COMATs or Level 2 as I've heard UWorld is all you need.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Guys im getting my ass kicked on OBgyn questions on UW lol are these questions harder than other subjects? Maybe its just that Im so dang weak in OBgyn. Im getting like 40s and 50s. usually i get like 60s and 70s
After doing like 30% of ObGyn qs, you should be getting a grasp on the concepts, which usually repeat themselves.

ObGyn is my weakest subject (22nd percentile) after psych. I was thinking of doing BnB for this.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, my time has come. I take the beast early next week. Can you guys give me your thoughts on a range based off my practice scores?

step 1: 232
NBME 6 (4 weeks out): 230
NBME 7 (3 weeks): 240
NBME 8 (2.5 weeks): 247
Old 120: 90%
UWSA1 (2 weeks): 252
UWSA2 (1 week): 249
New 120: 82%

thank you all! hoping for 250+ but won't be too upset if I am > 245
you look solid for > 245. We have the same step 1 score! Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
After doing like 30% of ObGyn qs, you should be getting a grasp on the concepts, which usually repeat themselves.

ObGyn is my weakest subject (22nd percentile) after psych. I was thinking of doing BnB for this.
Im realizing once I listn to Dr HY emma and divine I start to really grasp things better and my scores improve. Never tried BnB for Step 2 but i imagine its great. Divine is literally Goljan for Step 2 hes actually amazing you should try him out too

Reactions: 2 users
I just deleted all premade step 2 decks. I have actually found that they do not save me time at all - if I have never seen the base concept before, I have to do so much digging/googling to understand what the card is about that it would have been better to just organically encounter the subject material first and make my own cards. Not to mention that often the way a card is worded doesn’t jive with my brain, so I have to go back and retool the original card - fix spelling, add or delete cloze items, etc. I spend so much time modifying the cards on premade decks to my liking that I might as well just make my own.

So I’m officially giving them the boot and just making my own cards from UWorld/stuff I encounter in rotations that I don’t know from now until boards LOL. It’s only mildly terrifying.

(except lolnotacop and turn up 2 ethics/OMT, I’m keeping those)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I just deleted all premade step 2 decks. I have actually found that they do not save me time at all - if I have never seen the base concept before, I have to do so much digging/googling to understand what the card is about that it would have been better to just organically encounter the subject material first and make my own cards. Not to mention that often the way a card is worded doesn’t jive with my brain, so I have to go back and retool the original card - fix spelling, add or delete cloze items, etc. I spend so much time modifying the cards on premade decks to my liking that I might as well just make my own.

So I’m officially giving them the boot and just making my own cards from UWorld/stuff I encounter in rotations that I don’t know from now until boards LOL. It’s only mildly terrifying.

(except lolnotacop and turn up 2 ethics/OMT, I’m keeping those)
heck ya! If it makes you feel any better about giving up premade decks I haven't used pre-made anki or anki in general at all ever all of M3 and have been able to maintain a comat avg of 120 only doing questions and watching Divine/OME. I know its anecdotal but in reality those pre-made decks are a huge time sink in my opinion and I don't think its really necessary even though it does work for some people. I think making your own cards is better-Pretty sure the GOAT @FindersFee5 who scored 270+ on Step 2 would agree with me here lol

Reactions: 1 users
Feel like I've been running into issues with time more so for step2 than step1. Exam is coming up soon so here goes nothing. Hoping for something around practice averages and that I don't start zoning out mid test.

If it helps:
UWSA1 (3 weeks out): 238
NBME8 (2 weeks out): 248
NBME6 (1 week out): 258
UWSA2 (<1 week out): 256
Just an update because I've found these types of posts helpful leading up to the test. Score back today.
Step 1: 249
Step 2CK: 253

Reactions: 6 users
Got my score back this week!

step 1: 232
step 2 CK: 258

happy to answer any questions or offer any advice I can! These posts were always so helpful to me.

Reactions: 7 users
What did u do to have such a huge score increase?
Literally did 40 UW a day and all of tzanki. Tried to get through UW twice and made sure I did all the practice tests. The NBME ones are a bit outdated but the more questions you see the better. In my opinion, also treating everyday the same and not ramping up my studying at any point was helpful for my confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Literally did 40 UW a day and all of tzanki. Tried to get through UW twice and made sure I did all the practice tests. The NBME ones are a bit outdated but the more questions you see the better. In my opinion, also treating everyday the same and not ramping up my studying at any point was helpful for my confidence.
I was hoping you wouldnt say anki. I hate anki and never have used it. With a 254 Step 1 i hope UW 2x is enough for a 260+

I was hoping you wouldnt say anki. I hate anki and never have used it. With a 254 Step 1 i hope UW 2x is enough for a 260+
You did get better than me on step 1. I don’t think you should doubt yourself at all. You know your own habits and what works best for you! I think what matters more than anything is just taking a chunk of time to study what you need to every day.

You did get better than me on step 1. I don’t think you should doubt yourself at all. You know your own habits and what works best for you! I think what matters more than anything is just taking a chunk of time to study what you need to every day.
You did 40 UW per day for all of third year? Or during dedicated

You did 40 UW per day for all of third year? Or during dedicated
All of 3rd year. It was brutal but it allowed me to get through UW twice and it took a lot of pressure off me come dedicated. I didn’t feel like I had to ramp up my studying when preparing for a shelf or for step.

• Wow
can u use comat avgs? lol how would you use this one without NBMEs? looks sick
I just used comat percentiles and converted it to NBME scores. Might not be as accurate, so I will probably enter a 2nd data set just consisting of uworld and practice tests.

I am getting a little concerned that my UWorld percent is not where it should be. For those who scored 260+ i don't think I have seen anyone at or below a 70% on the first pass as they are usually like 80% plus. Right now I am at 67% and I am about 1/3 of the way through the bank. Does anyone know by how much you can expect to see your UW% climb by the end of the bank? I am hoping that I can bring it up into the mid 70s but i just don't know how practical that is. I don't know why my average is so low since my comat avg is ~98%ile and my Step 1 was 254-any guidance would be highly appreciated! Also I have never used anki so I am guessing a lot of these UW percent correlations on the score predictors are inflated by those who do these premade anki decks?

Last edited:
Found this on reddit, will be curious to see how accurate it is

What did you put for the quarters? Also, how did you convert from COMATs? When I look up NBME percentiles, it seems like there are different numbers...like there's a score for P1-2 , then 3-4, then 5-6. Not sure what that means.

Last edited:
What did you put for the quarters? Also, how did you convert from COMATs? When I look up NBME percentiles, it seems like there are different numbers...like there's a score for P1-2 , then 3-4, then 5-6. Not sure what that means.
I 'll admit, it was very back of the napkin math.

for percentile, if you search COMAT percentile NBOME has a chart. I just used that percentile and converted it to the corresponding NBME score for that percentile.

For quarters, I just divided up my test based on what they would have been if we were in a quarter system.

Its very very very rough conversions for sure , but it was almost the same predicted score as if I only imputed my uworld percent correct.

I 'll admit, it was very back of the napkin math.

for percentile, if you search COMAT percentile NBOME has a chart. I just used that percentile and converted it to the corresponding NBME score for that percentile.

For quarters, I just divided up my test based on what they would have been if we were in a quarter system.

Its very very very rough conversions for sure , but it was almost the same predicted score as if I only imputed my uworld percent correct.
Gotcha. Yeah because the percentiles change based on the quarter, so I wasn't sure exactly how to put that in. I guess I can try and make my own quarter system up haha.

AMBOSS is holding a free self assessment week May 3rd - 9th. Don't know how predictive it is signed up anyways. Here's the link.

Jesus christ Uworld. Just gave me a questions with several signs of celiac, but a negative celiac test. I didn't choose celiac. answer is celiac because "sometimes the test is negative"

Just feels like this type of question is punishing people who don't go by buzzwords alone.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Jesus christ Uworld. Just gave me a questions with several signs of celiac, but a negative celiac test. I didn't choose celiac. answer is celiac because "sometimes the test is negative"

Just feels like this type of question is punishing people who don't go by buzzwords alone.
I hate these types of questions and there are several of them in the Step 2 qbank. Drives me nuts.

I thought I experienced this the other day when a patient with nephrotic syndrome had renal vein (artery?) thrombosis, and the question asked which disease she likely had and proceeded to list all the nephrotic diseases. I was like, “what nit-picky ish is this??”

A few hours later, I’m listening to Divine “oh yeah this is membranous nephropathy, super high yield to know that association”

Nvm not uworld being ridiculous, just me being stupid :rofl:

• Haha
I thought I experienced this the other day when a patient with nephrotic syndrome had renal vein (artery?) thrombosis, and the question asked which disease she likely had and proceeded to list all the nephrotic diseases. I was like, “what nit-picky ish is this??”

A few hours later, I’m listening to Divine “oh yeah this is membranous nephropathy, super high yield to know that association”

Nvm not uworld being ridiculous, just me being stupid :rofl:
I remember this one! Of course It showed up in my anki reviews that day after I did the question.....

• Haha
Just joining this thread. Step 1: 249, aiming for 260+ on step 2. Currently hitting 80 UWorld per day, doing all of Cheesy Dorian. Just started listening to Divine.

Oh my Uworld average is **** too @Deecee2DO . I think it’s 65% and I’m almost totally done with Uworld but I’m hitting 75-80% frequently now.

• Love
Just joining this thread. Step 1: 249, aiming for 260+ on step 2. Currently hitting 80 UWorld per day, doing all of Cheesy Dorian. Just started listening to Divine.

Oh my Uworld average is **** too @Deecee2DO . I think it’s 65% and I’m almost totally done with Uworld but I’m hitting 75-80% frequently now.
Heck ya Steve! Ur gonna kill it. Youll hit 260+ for sure

• Care
Got a 230 (26 incorrects) on NBME 6 as a baseline after finishing Uw with like 62,5% correct. Better than what i was hoping. Exam in 2 months!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So my exam is in 6 weeks. I'm feeling nowhere near the same amount of stress I did for step 1, which has me a little worried. I should probably take a NBME soon so I can smack myself into high gear

So my exam is in 6 weeks. I'm feeling nowhere near the same amount of stress I did for step 1, which has me a little worried. I should probably take a NBME soon so I can smack myself into high gear
Same. My drive for this exam is basically non-existent.

Same here. I’m also feeling much more confident much earlier though. I started a second run of UWorld and have done maybe 5 totally random all subject blocks with an average of 87%. There are a few questions that I just remember, but the vast majority I’m getting right because I’m recognizing the larger clinical picture right away. Still struggling some with some of the orders of different algorithms, but I really feel like I could take the exam tomorrow and at least hit average. Maybe I’m overconfident, maybe an NBME will put me back in my place, I don’t know.

I
Same here. I’m also feeling much more confident much earlier though. I started a second run of UWorld and have done maybe 5 totally random all subject blocks with an average of 87%. There are a few questions that I just remember, but the vast majority I’m getting right because I’m recognizing the larger clinical picture right away. Still struggling some with some of the orders of different algorithms, but I really feel like I could take the exam tomorrow and at least hit average. Maybe I’m overconfident, maybe an NBME will put me back in my place, I don’t know.
I feel this. I'm 55% through Uworld doing six 10 questions blocks a day on tutor mode. I'm averaging 67-80% each day, though still at 68% overall. don't want to sound like a jerk, but it just feels so much easier than step 1 was? I can think through problems so much better idk.

A little worried this is a side effect of doing Dorian, but even then I'm still learning the uworld concepts so I don't think it should be negatively affecting me overall right?

At this time a year ago I was 6 weeks out from Step 1 and completely panicking but now I’m about 10ish weeks out from Step 2 and not really stressed out at all. I made my study schedule yesterday and will have 6 weeks of board prep with 2 of them being pure dedicated and it’s literally just UWorld and Anki. I’m planning on adding in the Divine Rapid Review podcasts during dedicated and will definitely be doing the two UWSAs and free 120 but was debating adding in any NBMEs. I figured I’ll do one at the beginning just to see where I’m at but do you think more than one is necessary? I had it all planned out months in advance for Step 1 and I feel like I’m kinda winging it for Step 2.

At this time a year ago I was 6 weeks out from Step 1 and completely panicking but now I’m about 10ish weeks out from Step 2 and not really stressed out at all. I made my study schedule yesterday and will have 6 weeks of board prep with 2 of them being pure dedicated and it’s literally just UWorld and Anki. I’m planning on adding in the Divine Rapid Review podcasts during dedicated and will definitely be doing the two UWSAs and free 120 but was debating adding in any NBMEs. I figured I’ll do one at the beginning just to see where I’m at but do you think more than one is necessary? I had it all planned out months in advance for Step 1 and I feel like I’m kinda winging it for Step 2.
My plan is similar. 3 weeks of dedicated, UWorld incorrects + questions I haven't done yet (things like ambulatory med, EM) to keep my brain fresh. Keep doing Anki. UWSAs, free 120, maybe an NBME at the beginning before I actually start studying. Dooooone.

My plan is similar. 3 weeks of dedicated, UWorld incorrects + questions I haven't done yet (things like ambulatory med, EM) to keep my brain fresh. Keep doing Anki. UWSAs, free 120, maybe an NBME at the beginning before I actually start studying. Dooooone.
Right now I have an NBME scheduled a little over a month out, UWSA 1 scheduled 3 weeks out, UWSA 2 about 10 days out and then free 120 a few days out. I have an elective through the end of June which will be the last block of 3rd year so I'll be doing 1 block of incorrects + Anki reviews each day until dedicated and then bump it up to 2 blocks. I should be completely done with a first pass of UWorld by early June so it'll just be incorrects after that and I think there will be enough of those to get me through dedicated lol. I just feel so whatevs about it and I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

hit 69% (niceeeeeee) correct on uworld yesterday. Progress is going to be harder/slower moving forward since I'll need to be getting 80% on most blocks to advance anymore. 57% done with questions. hoping to have 400 or less left by the time I hit dedicated

Anyone take the free Amboss Step 2 assessment yet? Planning on taking it sometime this week and ready to get wrecked

Anyone take the free Amboss Step 2 assessment yet? Planning on taking it sometime this week and ready to get wrecked
Just did! Got 74% correct overall. It is pretty comparable to a random Uw block I'd say. Although it doesn't report the average score for each block, it's probably around 60-65% correct.

Does the Amboss self-assessment give you a breakdown score on different specialties or blocks?
Not exactly. It reports on your performance on different principles (low, avg, high) compared to your overall average. Kinda like step 1 score report

Damn Uworld neruo questions got hands. getting bitch slapped out the wazzooo over here