*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2016-2017 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what kinds of things did everyone add into the "Achievements" section aside from Honors/ Dean's List?

Someone recommended me to add in any scholarships received?
Also I was wondering if someone could answer an earlier question someone had about adding in a good percentile for the ASC Chemistry exams under this section too?

P & TY!

Members don't see this ad.

Basically from the drop-down menu below "achievement," which includes but not limited to presentation, publication, dean's list, honor's society, and scholarship

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone submitted without their MCAT? Does it hurt your application at all?

Quick question/suggestion regarding prereq.

While assigning prereqs, I noticed I am one "legit" English class away from fulfilling the English requirement (i have many writing intensive courses but I am not sure if they would count).

Should I go ahead and assign one of these writing intensive courses for my English prereq, or should I put in a planned English course to be completed say in Spring 2017? Or do both?

Thanks!

I went ahead and assigned the writing intensive course (marked with (W) in course name) as an English req, however this has caused issues at some schools. Just make sure to inform them about it and they will let you know if they'll take it. But if you wanna save yourself a headache take the planned English course

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can any AACOMAS vets give me a little info about the academics update? I'm about to finish two summer courses in a week and was wondering what to expect/how to go about it. How long does it take? Can I send my transcripts in early and have them update it once it opens? Is it wise to update the school through email as well or does AACOMAS do it?

(I'll be asking AACOMAS this as well, might as well hear from some people that have been through it/ know about it from our point of view though)

I want to list my publication under achievements, but it ask for name .... name of who? the professor I worked with, is that what they are looking for?

My university just submitted the grades for my post grad retakes and I am now in the processes of applying but still not satisfied with my personal statement. Would it make a difference to submit my application next week rather than in the next couple of days since they won't be receiving my transcripts for another 7 business days at least? On the website it says they will not review the application until transcripts AND payment are both received and confirmed. I am guessing payment won't take as long as the transcript but I would like someone to confirm this if possible. Just to simplify my question: "If I wait one more week before I submit my application, and AACOMAS won't receive my official transcripts for another 10 days, would it be more delayed than if I submit my application today even though it's still 10 days before they receive my transcripts?"

If my summer class was the whole summer from june to july, how would i input that? I only get Summer 1 and summer 2 as options...nothing for the whole summer like AMCAS.

If my summer class was the whole summer from june to july, how would i input that? I only get Summer 1 and summer 2 as options...nothing for the whole summer like AMCAS.

If your school only offers one summer session, I would put summer 1.

I went ahead and assigned the writing intensive course (marked with (W) in course name) as an English req, however this has caused issues at some schools. Just make sure to inform them about it and they will let you know if they'll take it. But if you wanna save yourself a headache take the planned English course

I'm about to submit but I'm still confused about assigning classes to prereqs.... for example for the bio requirements do I assign my general bio classes or my upper division classes, also if i have taken several general bio types of classes do I assign the classes I have the highest GPA in?

Please help.

I'm about to submit but I'm still confused about assigning classes to prereqs.... for example for the bio requirements do I assign my general bio classes or my upper division classes, also if i have taken several general bio types of classes do I assign the classes I have the highest GPA in?

Please help

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school only offers one summer session, I would put summer 1.
Thanks, one other question. If I am taking a Masters in Biomedical Sciences for Current/future would I put the subject as biomedical science since all classes are BIOM XXX or would I put it into their subject type like "Human Gross anatomy" as Anatomy.

can i list a publication under review in the achievements section?

Thanks, one other question. If I am taking a Masters in Biomedical Sciences for Current/future would I put the subject as biomedical science since all classes are BIOM XXX or would I put it into their subject type like "Human Gross anatomy" as Anatomy.

Following the AACOMAS instructions, you would want to first follow the course title. If you can't determine the subject from the title, then refer to the department that offers the course. They won't delay your app for wrong subjects so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The important GPAs on the verified AACOMAS app are overall and overall science, correct? These are the ones schools use for cutoffs?

Everyone i had a question regarding the aacomas verified GPA. Do DO schools look only at your verified aacomas gpa or they look at your schools transcript too ? Or both ?

Can you change course classification like with AMCAS once you've already been verified?

Hello, I was wondering if it is too late to apply for DO schools? I have my AACOMAS application completed, but I am hoping to apply to more programs than just two. Let me know!

is anyone else having trouble logging in and adding programs? Mine keeps saying "Full authentication is required to access this resource" when I try to complete the pre-reqs part for the application

Hey guys,

I am a Canadian applicant and I just realized that AACOMAS has my hours all wrong on the preliminaries.
Isnt it supposed to be 4 hours for courses without labs and 8 for courses with labs?

I did just email them because then I wont be meeting requirements for so many schools I applied! (scared :( )

So I have submitted all my secondaries that I have received but my applications still say that they have not received my LORs. Is there something I need to do to get my LORs to the schools or does it just take awhile to process through ACCOMAS?

does anyone no how to view/print our AACOMAS application once submitted?

I know this sounds terrible but I dont remember who I listed as a supervisor for an experience - we had a change in management around the time I was submitting since my manager got promoted, and I can't remember if I listed my new immediate supervisor or her supervisor who had been there since I was hired. I have to relist the supervisor on a secondary and dont want to list a different one as I feel that will look odd.

does anyone no how to view/print our AACOMAS application once submitted?

I know this sounds terrible but I dont remember who I listed as a supervisor for an experience - we had a change in management around the time I was submitting since my manager got promoted, and I can't remember if I listed my new immediate supervisor or her supervisor who had been there since I was hired. I have to relist the supervisor on a secondary and dont want to list a different one as I feel that will look odd.

Go to submitted application and click on the download right next to your programs listing

First time applicant and wondering if anyone can answer my question. So some of the programs have the prerequisite part where you select the courses that you think fulfill that section. If you have a lot of say bio courses, do you need to select every bio course that you think fulfills the requirement or would it matter to only choose the ones that you did well in? I know they will see your course list anyway.

Does anyone have any experience with the continuing education courses part of AACOMAS?

Basically, I have about 10 certifications that weren't taken for college credit (ACLS, ABLS, PALS, NRP, etc.) It looks like that would be an appropriate section for them, but I really don't want to spend a couple hours tracking down the cards, making individual scans, uploading, etc. if it's not the right spot. I really don't think it will make any difference to include them or not on my app, but I figure while I'm spending hours on the app anyways, it might as well be comprehensive.

Does anyone have any experience with the continuing education courses part of AACOMAS?

Basically, I have about 10 certifications that weren't taken for college credit (ACLS, ABLS, PALS, NRP, etc.) It looks like that would be an appropriate section for them, but I really don't want to spend a couple hours tracking down the cards, making individual scans, uploading, etc. if it's not the right spot. I really don't think it will make any difference to include them or not on my app, but I figure while I'm spending hours on the app anyways, it might as well be comprehensive.
I included all of my certs (ACLS, PALS, PHTLS,...) with pictures of my cards. I sure don't see how it's going to hurt anything.

I included all of my certs (ACLS, PALS, PHTLS,...) with pictures of my cards. I sure don't see how it's going to hurt anything.

Cool, that's what I was thinking as well. Guess I know what I'll be doing all day! Thanks!

First time applicant and wondering if anyone can answer my question. So some of the programs have the prerequisite part where you select the courses that you think fulfill that section. If you have a lot of say bio courses, do you need to select every bio course that you think fulfills the requirement or would it matter to only choose the ones that you did well in? I know they will see your course list anyway.

The purpose is for the school to see you have fulfilled the minimum credits so in that case, you really only have to put in 2 courses that satisfy the bio prereq. Gradewise, it doesn't hurt to put in your best grades if it applies for that requirement. Like you said, the GPA calculations and course list provided by AACOMAS is more than enough to see your actual performance.

Reactions: 1 user
For the colleges attended, for the "Final term", do you put the date that the term ended or the start date of that last term? It wasn't clear to me.

For the colleges attended, for the "Final term", do you put the date that the term ended or the start date of that last term? It wasn't clear to me.

If you mean, "When did you attend this college", you put the date that the term ended for the "Last Semester". You will later see that this makes sense as on the PDF that is sent to colleges, that text box is inputted as "End Date"

Confusing, I know.

If you mean, "When did you attend this college", you put the date that the term ended for the "Last Semester". You will later see that this makes sense as on the PDF that is sent to colleges, that text box is inputted as "End Date"

Confusing, I know.
Thanks for the clarification. Yea, that was more confusing than it ended to be.

I'm very confused with the LOR system. So it seems some schools require 3 and some require 2 and some let you substitute if you're a non-trad. If the LORs are tied with your primary app and all schools get them, how does that even work? Like one school said you can substitute a recent work LOR while others want 2 science faculty. If you submit the work LOR and that gets tied in with your primary package, won't the other schools be wondering why your work LOR was included? I'm not sure what the LOR limit for each school is so if you can't assign the LOR, won't it be an issue for the schools to get more than 2 or 3?

And I got to the payment confirmation screen and it says that once you submit, your Evaluation section will be locked. Does this mean you can't send in any new letters? I'm still waiting on one letter that will not be submitted to interfolio until next week.

Ok I'm going crazy at this point because I can't figure out what's wrong, but every time I open up the PDF form of my application to each school it comes up with an error saying PDF cannot be opened. I emailed support so hopefully I hear back soon, but I didn't know if it was something simple I could fix right away. HELP!

Ok I'm going crazy at this point because I can't figure out what's wrong, but every time I open up the PDF form of my application to each school it comes up with an error saying PDF cannot be opened. I emailed support so hopefully I hear back soon, but I didn't know if it was something simple I could fix right away. HELP!

Maybe your browser is blocking new tabs from opening.

Can any AACOMAS vets give me a little info about the academics update? I'm about to finish two summer courses in a week and was wondering what to expect/how to go about it. How long does it take? Can I send my transcripts in early and have them update it once it opens? Is it wise to update the school through email as well or does AACOMAS do it?

(I'll be asking AACOMAS this as well, might as well hear from some people that have been through it/ know about it from our point of view though)

Did they give you any feed back regarding this?

If you're using Microsoft edge (Windows 10 or the like) it is notorious for not opening PDFs properly. Try it with a different browser and see what happens. I had to use the far-obsolete internet explorer to get my transcript requests to open...

Hey guys, I am about to submit my application but I have a quick question. For the "program materials" portion of the application do we submit retake courses. for example, Organic Chemistry first time i got a D+ second time I got an A+, Do i submit both or just the A+. I know for the transcript you put both but for the failed course you put 0.00 for credit hours. Can somebody help me out?!?!?! Thanks!!!

Yes you put 0 credits for the first attempt and full credits for the second attempt

I’m trying to add new schools to aacomas and I have a new letter as well. The combination of all of this is really confusing me so I want to make sure the process I’m going to follow is sound. I already have a completed letter entry in aacomas. It’s a letter packet (3 letters) that was uploaded by my school. What I want to do now is add several new schools and have all 4 letters (3 old plus 1 new) get to those schools.

Basically I’m going to do this:

1. Create a new evaluation request and have my school upload the new letter to aacomas

2. Wait for it to show in aacomas as complete

3. Add and pay for my new DO schools

My thinking is that aacomas will automatically forward both evaluation entries (the packet and the new letter) to the new schools after step 3 (like AMCAS does). Is my thinking on how this works correct?

Did they give you any feed back regarding this?

Sorry just saw this! You can send in transcripts whenever, can update grade entry send unverified grades to schools whenever(but you've gotta do it again once academic update starts even if you don't change anything so it gets registered), and about 2 weeks!(what I was told might be shorter hopefully). And I do plan on emailing schools individually once grades get verified!

Trying to add a course for sociology into my transcript but I can't for some reason. I graduated last year and I'm just taking sociology for the med pre req for one school but I can't list a "fall 2016" term for my transcript for university, given my transcript has already been verified prior to adding this class. Help?

Are we required to fill in the "Required Courses" field under each school's tab that we are applying to? It just seems so tedious and unnecessary.....

Are we required to fill in the "Required Courses" field under each school's tab that we are applying to? It just seems so tedious and unnecessary.....
Yep. Trust me, the primary is a breeze compared to a lot of the secondaries. Don't start getting lazy this early in the process.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I tried to search the thread, the forum, and the internet first but I couldn't find the answer to my question...

I used the AACOMAS professional transcript entry service and I just approved the coursework, filled in the pre-requisites, and pressed "I am finished". Under "Status" it doesn't show anything to indicate I have been entered in line for verification. How can I be sure I have completed everything I need to in order to be reviewed? Does anyone get a "submitted XX" timestamp like with AMCAS? I don't mind patiently waiting for verification, but I don't want to be just sitting here and find out weeks from now I was never entered into the queue.

Hi there, sorry if this has been previously stated and I missed it, but does anyone know if there is a way to take off of your aacomas app that you are not retaking the MCAT. I said that I was going to retake on 9/9 but cancelled. AACOMAS isn't like AMCAS where you can just uncheck that you aren't taking the test... does anyone know what I should do?

Hey guys, I tried to search the thread, the forum, and the internet first but I couldn't find the answer to my question...

I used the AACOMAS professional transcript entry service and I just approved the coursework, filled in the pre-requisites, and pressed "I am finished". Under "Status" it doesn't show anything to indicate I have been entered in line for verification. How can I be sure I have completed everything I need to in order to be reviewed? Does anyone get a "submitted XX" timestamp like with AMCAS? I don't mind patiently waiting for verification, but I don't want to be just sitting here and find out weeks from now I was never entered into the queue.

I don't think they have a time stamp like with AMCAS, or at least I didn't notice one. Once I approved my coursework and filled in my pre-reqs then everything got verified shortly after. I think as long as you've paid for your programs then you should be good!

You should get an email from AACOMAS that notes that you are currently under review.

I don't think they have a time stamp like with AMCAS, or at least I didn't notice one. Once I approved my coursework and filled in my pre-reqs then everything got verified shortly after. I think as long as you've paid for your programs then you should be good!

You should get an email from AACOMAS that notes that you are currently under review.

Thanks guys!!