*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2016-2017 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would it be appropriate to list my intramural championship in the "achievements"? Otherwise, I've nothing else to list there. I went to the University of Arizona so its not the easiest thing to win one of those leagues, and athletics are pretty dear to me.

Why not? I don't see how it could hurt.

Members don't see this ad.

So yesterday at about 11am I got an email from AACOMAS saying they "received and processed" one of my two transcripts. Except when I refresh my application, it shows that neither of them have arrived or been attached to my application. Does it take a few days for the transcript to actually show up as being attached to my application or should I call them on Monday? Also, my other transcript was supposedly sent from my school just over a week ago. Does it usually take that long for the transcripts to reach them? It just seems like it's been too long. I'm just really anxious for them to get and verify my transcripts already :dead:

So yesterday at about 11am I got an email from AACOMAS saying they "received and processed" one of my two transcripts. Except when I refresh my application, it shows that neither of them have arrived or been attached to my application. Does it take a few days for the transcript to actually show up as being attached to my application or should I call them on Monday? Also, my other transcript was supposedly sent from my school just over a week ago. Does it usually take that long for the transcripts to reach them? It just seems like it's been too long. I'm just really anxious for them to get and verify my transcripts already :dead:

I takes a couple weeks. I am certain this is a very busy time for them. Just check your status regularly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't find such question in prior posts but has anyone found themself successfully passing off a repeat at another school but slightly somewhat different prefix/department. For example, genetics taken through school A's Biology department (prefix Bio) then retaken at school B's Molecular and Cellular Biology Department (Prefix MC).

I visited a DO school and participated/shadowed an OMM lab. Should I list this as an experience in my application? If so, how should I characterize it?

Or would the better option be just not listing it, but perhaps writing about it in a secondary?

My DO-shadowing experience is fairly weak (only 8 hours with one DO), so I'd like to express that I did look into OMT other than this one experience.

I'd say totally. OMM isn't something all premeds can easily see.

So, I submitted all of my transcripts for last years cycle, but never submitted my application for verification. Do I need to send in all of my transcripts again, or will they still be on file? Nothing has changed on them.

Thanks!

So, I submitted all of my transcripts for last years cycle, but never submitted my application for verification. Do I need to send in all of my transcripts again, or will they still be on file? Nothing has changed on them.

Thanks!

They should be on file. Have you tried calling and asking at all?

How can I have a letter replaced/updated on AACOMAS? I was informed today by one of my MD schools that the letter one of my profs wrote is lacking a signature. This is an easy fix for the AMCAS letter service, but I can't resend the email for AACOMAS and their site doesn't say anything about this issue. I can't just be SOL, can I?

I dont think so, just call AACOMAS asap.

I submitted my application and have been verified and applications sent to schools. However, after I received my MCAT score (during verification) I decided to retake to try and get a better score. Will the new MCAT score be automatically sent to the schools I have applied to when I update with my new score, or do I have to contact each school separately?

I submitted my application and have been verified and applications sent to schools. However, after I received my MCAT score (during verification) I decided to retake to try and get a better score. Will the new MCAT score be automatically sent to the schools I have applied to when I update with my new score, or do I have to contact each school separately?

You will be able to update your application but I would also contact each school. What was your score?

Members don't see this ad :)
I takes a couple weeks. I am certain this is a very busy time for them. Just check your status regularly.
Just to update anyone that encountered a similar issue I had and was curious about the answer: there was actually a problem because I opened an application with AACOMAS around December 2015 so I could see what the application was like and the information I would need. This automatically made me a 're-applicant' in the eyes of AACOMAS (but not for any schools because I didn't actually submit anything anywhere). When the new application for this cycle opened, my application was reset (I filled in some basic info). When I had my transcripts sent to AACOM at the beginning of July, one of my transcripts had inadvertently been attached to my 'old' application - explaining why I got an email saying that they had received and processed the transcript yet it wasn't showing up on my application. Needless to say, it was a simple fix. I just called them and they immediately found the issue and requested that my transcript be moved over to my new application. It took about 24 hours in total and they were great about it. So it was a really weird situation.

You will be able to update your application but I would also contact each school. What was your score?
I did really bad on my first attempt (June 2nd). Much worse than my practice tests. I think I was just nervous and overwhelmed. I am retaking on August 5th. I feel much better prepared this round. Thanks for your help and good luck!

I tried submitting my app a few minutes ago, but I wasn't able to because the "pay for program and submit" box was grayed out. All parts of the application are complete. Is anyone else having this problem, or is this because I submitted a fee waiver request? I haven't been approved, I'm on their waitlist, but I decided to not wait.

Edit: Yeah, I had to cancel the fee waiver request.

Last edited:
This may have already been answered somewhere, but maybe someone can help me. I have all of my letters of recommendation except for one submitted to the AACOMAS application. Should I wait until the last letter is received to submit my application? Also, I don't see a way to assign letters to different schools like you can on AMCAS. Is the only option to send all letters to every school? Some schools have different requirements than others on their LORs, so I wouldn't want to make a bad impression from the start by sending a bunch of letters they won't accept.

This may have already been answered somewhere, but maybe someone can help me. I have all of my letters of recommendation except for one submitted to the AACOMAS application. Should I wait until the last letter is received to submit my application? Also, I don't see a way to assign letters to different schools like you can on AMCAS. Is the only option to send all letters to every school? Some schools have different requirements than others on their LORs, so I wouldn't want to make a bad impression from the start by sending a bunch of letters they won't accept.
Submit now. Send the letter ASAP and update your application.

Reactions: 1 user
What exactly does "awaiting materials" mean. Like as soon as I submitted my app for a school on the "check status tab" the "received notification is green" and the "awaiting materials" is yellow...

so I plan on retaking my MCAT. Can schools give me an acceptance letter (assuming they really like me) without having the score for my retake? Or will they only give me the acceptance after my retake is complete. Because I know they can give secondaries out prior to the retake right?

So where are the secondary prompts for each of the osteopathic schools like there are for each specific allopathic schools on SDN?

So where are the secondary prompts for each of the osteopathic schools like there are for each specific allopathic schools on SDN?

They are within the school specific threads.

Wondering if someone could help clarify something for me so I don't hit delays down the road.

I completed a post-bac program last year and have taken physics (with lab) at both my undergraduate and post-bac institutions. The first course was specifically for arts majors to fulfill a core requirement and barely required math, the second was specifically for our pre-health program. Am I correct in assuming I shouldn't mark this as repeated? Both courses are named pretty similarly but the syllabus content and work required were completely different.

Luckily it won't impact my GPA significantly either way but I'm hoping to avoid having my transcript sent back if possible.

Thanks!

This was mentioned briefly earlier in the thread but I do not believe it was answered...

I just sent my MCAT to AACOMAS, but it did not ask me for the AACOMAS ID #. I called AAMC about this and they said it sends automatically without this number... I was under the impression the ID # was required.

Am I missing something? How will this transfer to my AACOMAS app?

Please advise, thank you!

This was mentioned briefly earlier in the thread but I do not believe it was answered...

I just sent my MCAT to AACOMAS, but it did not ask me for the AACOMAS ID #. I called AAMC about this and they said it sends automatically without this number... I was under the impression the ID # was required.

Am I missing something? How will this transfer to my AACOMAS app?

Please advise, thank you!

Pretty sure you needed to give AACOMAS your AAMC ID number as part of the standardized test section

Pretty sure you needed to give AACOMAS your AAMC ID number as part of the standardized test section

Thank you so much! Also, does anyone know how long it generally takes for AACOMAS to receive an MCAT score? I heard 2-10 days but was wondering if anyone knew more specifically

Question: am I a first generation college student if neither of my parents have college degrees? On AACOMAS it says if neither have ATTENDED. One of my parents attended but dropped out...Also for AMCAS it indicated I was underserved, but when I look it up for AACOMAS on the HPSA finder I'm not seeing my city listed. How do I view by county?

Once you submit your primary, can you access the app still? Specifically the Experiences section. It was such a hassle to go look through old resumes (I don't have a CV) and I would love to be able to print it out.

You can access the app and add experiences, but you cannot edit existing experiences anymore. Once you verify, you can actually save a pdf of your application, which will list your experiences, grades, PS, etc.
Thanks!

When you print it out, do the experiences show the description/dates/etc.?

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a bind because I don't currently have a LOR lined up from a DO since I haven't been able to find one to shadow. I do have 70+ hours of shadowing two MDs and a LOR, but obviously a DO letter would be better. Once I submit my application can I still go back later and add a DO letter? Or would I at least need to know who I'm going to shadow and create the entry for the letter before it gets submitted?

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a bind because I don't currently have a LOR lined up from a DO since I haven't been able to find one to shadow. I do have 70+ hours of shadowing two MDs and a LOR, but obviously a DO letter would be better. Once I submit my application can I still go back later and add a DO letter? Or would I at least need to know who I'm going to shadow and create the entry for the letter before it gets submitted?

depends on the schools you are applying to. some might not even review you app even If you have submitted the secondary until the LOR from a DO has been submitted. I've called some admissions com and asked that's why. I was in the same boat until my DO submit the letter just last week. and yeah you can go ahead and submit your application while keeping a space available on AACOMAS I believe. like I reserved my 6th spot for the DO even though I had already submit my primary

Two of my letter show up in AACOMAS as yellow and says they are "Completing" for over 1 month now. I have one letter that shows as green and "Complete." Do I need to tell my writers to do something to fix this?

depends on the schools you are applying to. some might not even review you app even If you have submitted the secondary until the LOR from a DO has been submitted. I've called some admissions com and asked that's why. I was in the same boat until my DO submit the letter just last week. and yeah you can go ahead and submit your application while keeping a space available on AACOMAS I believe. like I reserved my 6th spot for the DO even though I had already submit my primary
Ok, but as of right now I still don't have a DO lined up to shadow, so I'd have to leave that information blank (name, email) on AACOMAS. Can this be filled in even after I've submitted the application?

Ok, but as of right now I still don't have a DO lined up to shadow, so I'd have to leave that information blank (name, email) on AACOMAS. Can this be filled in even after I've submitted the application?

Yup. Go ahead and submit the app but MAKE SURE you leave a spot for the DO. Cause once you submit the app all those people listed on the letter of rec can't be changed. All you'd have to do is wait for the future DO to upload the letter into the spot you have reserved for him/her. And yeah you don't need the name and information there to submit the app. All that's important is that there is a spot there for the person.

Hey guys! Can someone show me an example of how to enter a repeated course? I want to make sure that how I entered the repeated courses are inputted correctly. Do I have to include not applicable to the classes that are repeated in the name of the course? Thanks!

I've been searching the thread to figure out how to categorize my research credit. Most posts I've seen on here are of people doing bio research so they easily classify it as "biology". I participated in physiological psychology research and got credit for it - one semester, it had a prefix of "PGS" and then my university changed it to "PSY" the next semester. They are both listed as "Supervised Research". What would be the most appropriate way to classify these - under "Psychology" or "Special Topics"?

I also took another class while in high school and obtained credit through a CC for "Machine Trades Print Reading" and I'm not sure what course subject to put it under. The course prefix is "MET". Here is the course description from the CC's website: "Analysis and interpretation of technical drawings (prints) common to manufacturing. Types of print formats, line types, and view projections. Mathematical calculations for determining dimensions. Symbols and features present on prints." -- basically learning how to read basic blue prints. I was thinking of classifying it under Engineering, Reading, or Special Topics. Ideas?

Anyone know how long it takes to get your Fee Assitance request approved? I am wondering if there's a ridiculously long wait time and if it's worth to risk a few more days of waiting to submit

you you just gotta calculate it yourself from what I understand. there is a way to see your AACOMAS GPA but only after course transcript is complete.
I just opened an excel file and opened an unofficial transcript in two separate windows, and anything that's biology/chemistry/physics related, I mark down.
I mark down for each class:
Credit hours x Grade
And then credit hours x 4

add up the two columns and then divide to get a percentage. Then multiply by 4 to get a sGPA.
you you just gotta calculate it yourself from what I understand. there is a way to see your AACOMAS GPA but only after course transcript is complete.
I just opened an excel file and opened an unofficial transcript in two separate windows, and anything that's biology/chemistry/physics related, I mark down.
I mark down for each class:
Credit hours x Grade
And then credit hours x 4

add up the two columns and then divide to get a percentage. Then multiply by 4 to get a sGPA.

GIF-Radioactivespider.gif
:)

OK, so created an account last year and never actually applied, however I never verified anything, and now when I go back to EDIT transcripts/data it won't prompt me to "save all". Is it locked or just glitched? I saw where someone else noticed an issue with these 'autofilled' information from previous cycle, was this clarified?

OH, and hi all btw, new poster...but been stalking SDN for roughly 3 years now sooo yeaaa...not to get weird lol

Last edited:
For those of you who received a secondary - how quickly did you submit it after receiving? What's a good turn around time? 1 week? Couple days? Same day? Obviously the sooner is better but would you guys consider a "good/quick" response?

For those of you who received a secondary - how quickly did you submit it after receiving? What's a good turn around time? 1 week? Couple days? Same day? Obviously the sooner is better but would you guys consider a "good/quick" response?
I submitted mine within a week. I'm waiting on my MCAT but it still seemed to be a popular trend/good practice to turn it over in a week or two.

For entering the pre-reqs, are you guys just putting in the minimum reqs (and picking the best grades lol), or are you putting all your classes? So for bio, they need 2 classes minimum, but I have like 10, so do I just put them all in?

Can AACOMAS verify your transcripts before you submit the App and pay for your programs?

My Undergrad transcript arrived 6/22 and says "Verified". The one from my Grad school arrived 7/18 and still says "Verifying". This was all before I pressed Submit today.

Is this normal? My entered courses from last year did carry over, and my Grad school grades were something new this year.

Hey everyone! Can someone help me out with explaining how the letters of recommendation work? Currently, I have all of the "teacher" evaluations I need submitted to my application. I also have an MD who is writing me a letter. He has not yet uploaded the letter. I want to go ahead and submit my application to the schools that only require a physician and not specifically a DO to get my app in a little earlier. I am shadowing a DO this month and plan on asking for a letter, so hopefully I will have a letter from a DO to upload later. If I submit my application by applying to each school separately (instead of paying for them all at once), can I still upload a letter from a DO at a later date and have it sent to the schools that I have not yet submitted to, as long as I only have 5 evaluation requests? Also, I'm assuming that it is okay to submit my application although the MD letter is not uploaded yet, and the school will still receive it once it is uploaded?

I know, I know. Most schools prefer letters from DOs, but I've worked hundreds of hours with this MD and I feel as though he will write me a letter that is more meaningful than one that I can get from someone I've only shadowed a few times.

Hey guys, I am about to submit my application but I have a quick question. For the "program materials" portion of the application do we submit retake courses. for example, Organic Chemistry first time i got a D+ second time I got an A+, Do i submit both or just the A+. I know for the transcript you put both but for the failed course you put 0.00 for credit hours. Can somebody help me out?!?!?! Thanks!!!

Hey guys, I am about to submit my application but I have a quick question. For the "program materials" portion of the application do we submit retake courses. for example, Organic Chemistry first time i got a D+ second time I got an A+, Do i submit both or just the A+. I know for the transcript you put both but for the failed course you put 0.00 for credit hours. Can somebody help me out?!?!?! Thanks!!!
Enter 0.0 for the first attempt and the actual credits for the retake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

For the experiences section, should I put my research experience under "Healthcare Experience" or "Non-Healthcare Volunteer or Community Enrichment"?

thanks!

If I took two classes at an online community college and had those transcripts sent to my full-time university, then graduated with those classes on my official transcripts. Must I send official transcripts from both colleges or will my full-time university's transcript be enough because it has the credits listed on it?

Edit: Nevermind

But how long is verification taking now?

Last edited: