*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please use this thread to ask any questions specific to the AACOMAS application for the 2019-2020 cycle.

Ask away and good luck!

Last year's AACOMAS question page can be found HERE

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I was under the impression that the personal statement for AACOMAS was 4500 characters. when did they change it to 5300????

So I was under the impression that the personal statement for AACOMAS was 4500 characters. when did they change it to 5300????
AACOM announced just yesterday that the character limit increased to 5300 this year. However, I'm sure most of us already have our personal statements crafted to perfection with 4500 characters by this point!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told it was best to submit my primary application to be verified and apply to one school and then when I get my mcat score (taking May 24) I can add it and add other schools. So should I not include any standardized tests or should I indicate that I will be taking it May 24?

So next question, can you use interfolio with AACOMAS?

So next question, can you use interfolio with AACOMAS?

Yes, Interfolio works perfect with AACOMAS. As long as you have paid to send letters out through Interfolio you can send them to AACOMAS. They have a help page that tells you how to do it on Interfolio’s wesbite as well!

Reactions: 1 users
I was told it was best to submit my primary application to be verified and apply to one school and then when I get my mcat score (taking May 24) I can add it and add other schools. So should I not include any standardized tests or should I indicate that I will be taking it May 24?
Yes I would have your primary application verified because it can vary with time, but it is generally fairly quickly early in the cycle.

This is exactly what I'm doing! We even have the same MCAT date :) I indicated on my application that I will be taking the exam on the 24th.

Yes, Interfolio works perfect with AACOMAS. As long as you have paid to send letters out through Interfolio you can send them to AACOMAS. They have a help page that tells you how to do it on Interfolio’s wesbite as well!

Thanks!

Question to whoever can answer. I started working at a very young age, I've written about it in my PS. Would I list within the work/activities section as well since I've always had a job? General consensus around here is to list things after high school.

Question to whoever can answer. I started working at a very young age, I've written about it in my PS. Would I list within the work/activities section as well since I've always had a job? General consensus around here is to list things after high school.

I would generally stick to entering things that happened after high school unless it is really significant. In this case, you could enter it but it probably isn’t necessary because it’s in your PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
AACOM announced just yesterday that the character limit increased to 5300 this year. However, I'm sure most of us already have our personal statements crafted to perfection with 4500 characters by this point!

Any other changes?

Would it be okay to put the physicians address, in the letter of evaluation, as the office address? I don't assume that some of the Docs I work with would want to give there home address.

Would it be okay to put the physicians address, in the letter of evaluation, as the office address? I don't assume that some of the Docs I work with would want to give there home address.
That's what I did!

Does anyone know how long verification typically takes this early in the cycle? I submitted yesterday and my transcripts were received today, so I'm thinking that means it shouldn't take too awfully long to verify, right?

/Hey guys, Does anyone know if I can use my AP english credits and a WRIT class to satisfy my english requirements?

Anyone know if AACOMAS offers fee assistance like AAMCAS does? I feel like I have read that they do not, but just figured I would ask since I am planning to apply to 21 schools. LOL.

Anyone know if AACOMAS offers fee assistance like AAMCAS does? I feel like I have read that they do not, but just figured I would ask since I am planning to apply to 21 schools. LOL.

I’m pretty sure they do! I would check the AACOMAS website for that information.

Does anyone know how long verification typically takes this early in the cycle? I submitted yesterday and my transcripts were received today, so I'm thinking that means it shouldn't take too awfully long to verify, right?

Last cycle it took about a week or so as long as you entered your grades/courses correctly. Either way, they'll fix them according to your transcript if you made a mistake before it is 'verified.'

So I am going to do a masters for the fall and spring semester before planned entry for fall 2020, but I haven't started yet and I am planning to submit my application before I start the masters. Does anyone have experience with this? How do I put this on my application? If I list the master's program, it asks for transcripts but obviously do not have any to send.

Hey guys :) Completing the EC section and one of my hobbies is racing cars.... I don't really see where I can add that as it is asking for organization name and supervisor info. Any suggestions on where to put this tidbit of info?

Under the experiences section of AACOMAS there is no option for shadowing or research, so what category would we choose for those? Also, there's no volunteer option so I've been listing that under Healthcare experience, would that be correct? Thanks in advance.

So I am going to do a masters for the fall and spring semester before planned entry for fall 2020, but I haven't started yet and I am planning to submit my application before I start the masters. Does anyone have experience with this? How do I put this on my application? If I list the master's program, it asks for transcripts but obviously do not have any to send.

So I am in a similar situation as you. I contacted AACOMAS and you cannot put the masters program on your application until you are matriculated. Once you matriculate, go back and edit the application with the program you're attending and under transcript entry, put courses as "In Progress/Planned", and the transcript requirement should disappear. Hope this helped.

Under the experiences section of AACOMAS there is no option for shadowing or research, so what category would we choose for those? Also, there's no volunteer option so I've been listing that under Healthcare experience, would that be correct? Thanks in advance.

I remember just putting something about shadowing in the title under the experience sections for extracurricular activities. Yeah you can list volunteering under healthcare experience if it was volunteering in healthcare. They’ll be able to read it and know it was just volunteering.

I remember just putting something about shadowing in the title under the experience sections for extracurricular activities. Yeah you can list volunteering under healthcare experience if it was volunteering in healthcare. They’ll be able to read it and know it was just volunteering.
Great thank you. What about the research experience, what would that go under?

So I am in a similar situation as you. I contacted AACOMAS and you cannot put the masters program on your application until you are matriculated. Once you matriculate, go back and edit the application with the program you're attending and under transcript entry, put courses as "In Progress/Planned", and the transcript requirement should disappear. Hope this helped.

Yes super helpful, thank you!!

Great thank you. What about the research experience, what would that go under?

Well if you have a publication you could put it under ‘Achievements,’ but if it was just general research, I would list it in the Experiences section. It’s really up to you though!

Well if you have a publication you could put it under ‘Achievements,’ but if it was just general research, I would list it in the Experiences section.
I know it would go in the experiences section, but under what specific experience type?

Extracurricular activities would be fine, mention something in the title if you want as well.
Okay, thank you very much. Do you happen to know which DO programs have the lowest accepted MCAT scores for their programs? My GPA is solid both science and cumulative, but I scored many points below average on my first MCAT. I am planning to retake it in the beginning of August and want to apply this year. I know it's very late, but pushing my app back another year isn't possible as I've already pushed it back for the past 3 years. If you need specific stats to better help me with this answer, then feel free to PM me. Thank you.

What is the consensus on using the same personal statement for AACOMAS as you used for AMCAS? I've read up on older posts that you don't need to mention OMM, or why DO in your PS as they will ask you about it in your secondaries and interviews. I personally have shadowed an MD, but not a DO. I want to know if I can/should use the same personal statement for DO.

Thank you

So if i submit without an mcat score, nobody is reviewing my app until my mcat is in right? Should I rush to submit by app for verification purposes? If so, when is the latest I should submit my app? Pls help!!! Also, in terms of letters, if I submit before they are submitted, they will be able to submit their letters after right?

Yeah I would get your app verified so you don’t have to wait for that when you receive your MCAT score. You can add letters to your application even after you submit it.

I have been trying to enter my transcript entry into the application. It lets me add a semester at first, I put in my courses and grades. However, I am not able to add another semester nor am able to save my changes. Not being able to save my changes, does not let me proceed with the application. I am so stuck! I seem to have entered everything properly! I am trying to add classes semester by semester as it tells you to, but it won’t let me do anything! Is this a glitch or did I do something wrong?

What is the consensus on using the same personal statement for AACOMAS as you used for AMCAS? I've read up on older posts that you don't need to mention OMM, or why DO in your PS as they will ask you about it in your secondaries and interviews. I personally have shadowed an MD, but not a DO. I want to know if I can/should use the same personal statement for DO.

Thank you

Yes that’s fine

I know this has been answered before in different forums but want to verify. I'm a reapplicant and am waiting to see if LOR writers will update their letters and am still waiting to confirm with a DO (and hence don't feel 100% certain which 6 I will upload and use) so don't have any eval requests created yet. Can I submit for verification, and as LOR writers confirm with me can I add them?

Edit: I clicked “I’m not adding any Evaluation Requests” and it gives me an opportunity to create new ones after the fact so I’m assuming it’s fine?

Last edited:
I know this has been answered before in different forums but want to verify. I'm a reapplicant and am waiting to see if LOR writers will update their letters and am still waiting to confirm with a DO (and hence don't feel 100% certain which 6 I will upload and use) so don't have any eval requests created yet. Can I submit for verification, and as LOR writers confirm with me can I add them?

Edit: I clicked “I’m not adding any Evaluation Requests” and it gives me an opportunity to create new ones after the fact so I’m assuming it’s fine?
Not sure but I would like to know as well.

Few questions:
1) Can we include both a DO and an MD Letter?
2) How do we know our MCAT scores were successfully sent to AACOMAS? Is there some sort of verification?
3) Do we need all letter of recommendations to be submitted before we submit our primary application? Or do we just need LOR's to be submitted before the start of secondaries?

For AACOMS Continuing Education Courses, what is included there?

I have an EMT cert which I'll likely put down.

Am I also able to put my CEUs from classes I've taken for my EMT? I have over 70 hours of CEs from almost 30 different courses. Not sure if I should put those as well?

Few questions:
1) Can we include both a DO and an MD Letter?
2) How do we know our MCAT scores were successfully sent to AACOMAS? Is there some sort of verification?
3) Do we need all letter of recommendations to be submitted before we submit our primary application? Or do we just need LOR's to be submitted before the start of secondaries?

1)Yes you can include both.

2) once you have the confirmation from AAMC that it has been sent then it should take a few days or so before it is uploaded and verified on AACOMAS.

3) No you do not need to have them all submitted before the primary application is sent out. Majority of schools will send you a secondary application without all of the required LORs. However, in order for your secondary application to be ‘complete’ for a specific school, you will need to have submitted the required LORs. Then they will begin reviewing your secondary application along with everything else. It will say what they require in the instructions for their secondary application when you receive one.

Thanks PapaGuava.

One more question - I want my application to be considered in the first initial batch that they review. How can I ensure I'll be in this initial batch? I already have my MCAT score and I am asking my school to mail out official transcripts to AACOMAS tomorrow. If I submit my application around maybe June 7th or so, would I still be good to be in the initial batch of applications considered? Or when should I submit my application?

When you're entering prerequisites into aacomas, do you need to put just the bare minimum to show you met the requirement or should you list all additional course work for the subject? Haven't been able to find a solid answer for this one.

Thanks PapaGuava.

One more question - I want my application to be considered in the first initial batch that they review. How can I ensure I'll be in this initial batch? I already have my MCAT score and I am asking my school to mail out official transcripts to AACOMAS tomorrow. If I submit my application around maybe June 7th or so, would I still be good to be in the initial batch of applications considered? Or when should I submit my application?

No problem! Yes you will be fine if you submit the primary application on June 7th. I think the biggest thing is just completing your secondary applications for schools in a timely manner, but not rushing, otherwise it will suffer in quality. Granted, schools can stratify applications based on different criteria rather than who was completed first so don't always believe you will hear back immediately after submitting your secondary application.

When you're entering prerequisites into aacomas, do you need to put just the bare minimum to show you met the requirement or should you list all additional course work for the subject? Haven't been able to find a solid answer for this one.

Certain schools will say you can include all other Biology courses, chemistry courses etc, which I'm sure you have seen but if you select more courses than what was asked they would just filter them out. You can do it if it makes you feel comfortable (I did for some schools on accident in the beginning during my cycle) and it didn't cause any issues. Otherwise just follow the instructions for what was asked under each school's prerequisites.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Re-applicant here, if I submit my primary app with my old MCAT score and anticipated retake date (5/24) I understand my application will be verified, but will it be likely I receive secondaries based on my old score (500+)? Or is this school dependent?

Thank you!

How many of each kind of letter do I need? So far two science professors, 1 D.O. physician, and 1 non-science. If I got one from my professor who taught calculus and pre calculus would that be a science or non-science letter? What if I got one from my hospital volunteer advisor or a nurse who saw me volunteer in the department or my tutor supervisor at center where I tutored? Those count as non-science letters?

I am hoping someone will have a solid answer for me.

How necessary is it to enter continuing education courses? I have been in health care for 18 years and CEs are required for work. I have accumulated an ungodly amount of CEs over the years. Is it necessary to enter as many of these as possible or should I only enter recent CE courses?

Also, Do various medical certifications (ACLS, CPR, TNCC, PALS, etc.) fall under "continuing education" as well?