****Official Acceptance Thread for UMDNJ C/O 2015****

Relax guys. It's not moving anywhere. At least anytime soon. They have built brand new clinics and classrooms at the newark site. They're not gonna blow that away to move over to Camden. I highly doubt this would affect our class

Members don't see this ad.

Relax guys. It's not moving anywhere. At least anytime soon. They have built brand new clinics and classrooms at the newark site. They're not gonna blow that away to move over to Camden. I highly doubt this would affect our class

Yeah, I figured. At this point it would be a major waste of money to relocate.

Has anybody that interviewed with them in December heard a decision yet? I was told they would let us know yesterday and I am losing my mind waiting and checking AADSAS. :scared:

Has anyone heard recently from Admissions? I interviewed dec 3 and still waiting..

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard recently from Admissions? I interviewed dec 3 and still waiting..

I interviewed on Dec 3 as well, still waiting... Do you know if anyone else who interviewed with us has heard back yet?

well I saw someone who interviewed in jan got in the next day.. oh well, guess we just got stick it out..

Anyone hear any good news recently? The wait is killing me. :scared:

are they still interviewing?

I heard not.. did anyone hear from umdnj recently about acceptances?
thanks

I interviewed in December and have heard nothing yet. :(

Do you know anyone that interviewed post December 1 and got an acceptance? I wanna go here so very badly.

Last edited:
someone on the umdnj 2015 facebook group posted on January 8th saying he had his interview the day before and that he got a call the very next day with an acceptance. I know nothing about his stats but I'm assuming if he got an acceptance the day after his interview, they must've been good haha.

I know...that must be awesome to get in the same day!

When I called admissions last week, I was told they haven't sent out any post December 1 acceptances yet b/c the adcoms haven't made any decisions yet. So I hope they haven't given out too many acceptances yet. They said we were supposed to find out the first week of January, so I am getting really anxious and wish to know where I stand.

Do you happen to know if the class is close to full yet? Anyone else get any recent news?

Last edited:
Do you happen to know if the class is close to full yet? Anyone else get any recent news?

My interviewer told me that out of the first wave of offers, approximately 75 people paid the deposit, so they were very close to full after Dec 1st. He said they have never had that many people pay the deposit in the first wave. I guess more people are opting for the cheaper in-state option this year. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but UMDNJ may not send out many more acceptances until after the second depost on May 1st. :(

My interviewer told me that out of the first wave of offers, approximately 75 people paid the deposit, so they were very close to full after Dec 1st. He said they have never had that many people pay the deposit in the first wave. I guess more people are opting for the cheaper in-state option this year. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but UMDNJ may not send out many more acceptances until after the second depost on May 1st. :(

Wow, that sucks. So I guess there is no hope anymore. :(

Congrats on your acceptance! It truly is such an amazing school and you are so lucky you have the opportunity to attend!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that sucks. So I guess there is no hope anymore. :(

Congrats on your acceptance! It truly is such an amazing school and you are so lucky you have the opportunity to attend!

Alegna,
Don't give up hope that you will get in. Those are purely my guesses on what they may be thinking. A good portion of those people may not pay the 2nd deposit so many acceptances may still be sent out. I also have no idea how many acceptances they send each year to fill their seats.

Thank you though. I am quite excited!

Andrew

Alegna,
Don't give up hope that you will get in. Those are purely my guesses on what they may be thinking. A good portion of those people may not pay the 2nd deposit so many acceptances may still be sent out. I also have no idea how many acceptances they send each year to fill their seats.

Thank you though. I am quite excited!

Andrew

Would any of you share your interview experience with me?
What were your DAT scores?
UMDNJ is the only school I will try for. I am a non-traditional student with a young family. I live 30 minutes away from Newark.
TIA!

Would any of you share your interview experience with me?
What were your DAT scores?
UMDNJ is the only school I will try for. I am a non-traditional student with a young family. I live 30 minutes away from Newark.
TIA!

My interview was very laid back. We sat in the main lobby of the place on some benches and shot the breeze for 45 minutes or so. As a non-traditional candidate, he was most interested in why I was changing careers into Dentistry and why I was interested in UMDNJ. I didn't get any of those canned questions such as "Can you describe a situation in which you have been ethically tested?". He was more interested in my military service and life experience. And from the acceptance phone call, it was the 10 years between undergrad and the interview that got me in I think.

My DAT scores were 24TS, 23AA, 20 PAT, so I'm sure those helped get me in the door too.

Hope that helps! As an aside, I have not been to any stressful interviews. They all seem to be conversational and relaxed. Try and be relaxed and they should go fine. Just do your research on each school prior to the interview and be ready to ask specific questions about their programs.

As some advice, I would apply to more than just UMDNJ. You may not want to move your family, but you could probably commute to NYU and Columbia as well. 3 chances to get in are better than 1 chance.

My interview was very laid back. We sat in the main lobby of the place on some benches and shot the breeze for 45 minutes or so. As a non-traditional candidate, he was most interested in why I was changing careers into Dentistry and why I was interested in UMDNJ. I didn't get any of those canned questions such as "Can you describe a situation in which you have been ethically tested?". He was more interested in my military service and life experience. And from the acceptance phone call, it was the 10 years between undergrad and the interview that got me in I think.

My DAT scores were 24TS, 23AA, 20 PAT, so I'm sure those helped get me in the door too.

Hope that helps! As an aside, I have not been to any stressful interviews. They all seem to be conversational and relaxed. Try and be relaxed and they should go fine. Just do your research on each school prior to the interview and be ready to ask specific questions about their programs.

As some advice, I would apply to more than just UMDNJ. You may not want to move your family, but you could probably commute to NYU and Columbia as well. 3 chances to get in are better than 1 chance.

I definitely considered applying to the other 2 schools but at my age it doesn't make financial sense to go into that much debt. I will be heartbroken if I don't get in.
Thanks for the info and the interview sounds very nice!

Msmouth, I am a non-trad with a family as well. I was accepted to both UMDNJ and Buffalo. I highly recommend ay least adding Buffalo to your applications. If you get in there, you may have a chance at in-state tuition for years 2-4. It's not terribly far from where you live as well.

omg May 1st?! yikes! That's really upsetting, I really hope we don't have to wait that long :(

there's only about 35 students on the facebook group so if you go by that, there are still plenty of seats :p

Even if 75 people paid the 1st deposit, I doubt all of those people are 100% set on going to UMDNJ. They probably just couldn't decide and have this set as backup. Unfortunately, as andrew has stated, that means that you'll likely have to wait til May to hear back. Hope for the best :) No sense in getting down over something that you have no control over at this point.

as a NJ resident, i actually got waitlisted from UMDNJ and accepted to Buffalo...

i really, really hope to get off of UMDNJ's waitlist though. it's my first choice, because of the distance :(

as a NJ resident, i actually got waitlisted from UMDNJ and accepted to Buffalo...

i really, really hope to get off of UMDNJ's waitlist though. it's my first choice, because of the distance :(
I got waitlisted too.. can I ask when you interviewed?
also did anyone else who was on the waitlist get accepted recently?
Thanks

Hey guys, I got home today and found a certified mail slip from UMDNJ in my mail box. It's friday night, so I can't go to the post office to pick it up. I am dying to know what it is... hoping it's an acceptance..but am not getting my hopes up... I was waitlisted on Feb 4th.

How did your letters of acceptance come? Was it via certified mail? I hope it's not just something from UMDNJ-GSBS (I did my masters there.) Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hey guys, I got home today and found a certified mail slip from UMDNJ in my mail box. It's friday night, so I can't go to the post office to pick it up. I am dying to know what it is... hoping it's an acceptance..but am not getting my hopes up... I was waitlisted on Feb 4th.

How did your letters of acceptance come? Was it via certified mail? I hope it's not just something from UMDNJ-GSBS (I did my masters there.) Keeping my fingers crossed.

Let us know what it is when you find out!! Got me all curious hah.

I am currently waitlisted as well. womp womp

Let us know what it is when you find out!! Got me all curious hah.

I am currently waitlisted as well. womp womp

Eh, unfortunately not :/. It was a packet for a financial aid exit interview from UMDNJ-GSBS (I did my masters there). I see that you got into tufts! At this rate, I'll probably be your neighbor down the street at BU lol.

Congrats guys!!! I'm UMDNJ C/O 2014 Lemme know if you have questions :D

Hi Marina1285,
I have been on SDN looking for a current UMDNJ student. During my interview at UMDNJ I didn't really get to talk with any students, and right now I am debating between UMDNJ and Maryland. I applied for an Air Force Scholarship, and just found out that I did not receive it. Based on money alone, I think the smarter decision would be to go to UMDNJ (I am a NJ resident, and Maryland is so expensive). My only concern about UMDNJ is the Newark area.

I was just wondering if you could comment on your experience at UMDNJ thus far. Is the area an issue? Do you feel like you're trapped, or does being in Newark not really make a difference given the demands of dental school?

Thank you so much!

Hi Marina1285,
I have been on SDN looking for a current UMDNJ student. During my interview at UMDNJ I didn't really get to talk with any students, and right now I am debating between UMDNJ and Maryland. I applied for an Air Force Scholarship, and just found out that I did not receive it. Based on money alone, I think the smarter decision would be to go to UMDNJ (I am a NJ resident, and Maryland is so expensive). My only concern about UMDNJ is the Newark area.

I was just wondering if you could comment on your experience at UMDNJ thus far. Is the area an issue? Do you feel like you're trapped, or does being in Newark not really make a difference given the demands of dental school?

Thank you so much!

Hi Brightsmile,

Just my opinion... I'm between NJ and MD too, and I've also thought about the military route... My situation is a little different however b/c I am out of state for both schools. If I were in your position, I'd def save the money and go for in state. Both schools have excellent reputations. Both have new facilities. Both are in cities that may be a little rough. But as long as you stay on/around campus and don't venture too far away, I really don't think you'll have any problems. You're going to be a well trained dentist whether you go to MD, or NJ. If you don't go looking for trouble in these cities, you will not find it. Best of luck.

I am 99% sure I will be withdrawing my acceptance. Hopefully that opens up a spot for one of you.

Hey c4ss. Congratulations. May I ask did you send a letter of interest and are you IS or OOS. Thanks.

Hey guys! Just got in off the waitlist! Got the call from Dr. Chaviano 2 days ago.