*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm about to go to my university today to request my transcript. I only need to send one to AAMC right?

and also one to yourself to help enter courses on AMCAS

Members don't see this ad.

and also one to yourself to help enter courses on AMCAS

Most schools have online transcripts if you don't want to send one to yourself [although they aren't technically 'official'].

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

When entering a research course on your AMCAS primary, what do you classify it as under "Course Classification"? Mine was technically Biology-based, but not directly through the Biology department. The real course is called ZOO4905 for Biology majors, but since I did it through another department and had to fill out a "Course Substitution" for my major to count it. The course was called BMS4905, Medical Science Senior Research.

Also, there was another course I took my freshman year that involved learning about science research in general, methods, e.t.c what should I classify that as?

Thanks so much!

How long did it take AMCAS to receive your transcript(s) after your school sent them? Mine were sent on Monday and still haven't been received.

How long did it take AMCAS to receive your transcript(s) after your school sent them? Mine were sent on Monday and still haven't been received.

Mine was "received" 7 days after my school sent it.

Can official transcripts still be received and verified even if we haven't entirely completed and submitted amcas?

I was wondering because I completed and turned in the transcript request form to my school and they have told me the transcript is already on its way to AMCAS, yet I've still complete to my PS, etc.

Last edited:
When entering coursework is there any way to distinguish between courses that were only offered pass/fail vs. courses I opted to take pass/fail? I opted to take one course pass/fail but I don't want adcoms to think that the other pass/fail courses on my transcript were a choice.

Can official transcripts still be received and verified even if we haven't entirely completed and submitted amcas?

I was wondering because I completed and turned in the transcript request form to my school and they have told me the transcript is already on its way to AMCAS, yet I've still complete to my PS, etc.

Perfect. They can get there as soon as you've completed the Schools Attended section. You actually want your transcripts to get there first, so you're not waiting on them when everything else is done.

sorry, more questions about transcripts...

1) i got swept up with commencement stuff and just submitted a transcript request form to the registrar. i think my school will probably send it out by june 1-ish. i saw that most people said it took a week for amcas to get it? if i submit my application the first week of june, would i still be considered early?

2) i know that i'm exempt from a transcript for my coursework abroad and checked off the option. is there actually another transcript exception form that i have to fill out?

thanks so much!

Is AP Psychology considered to be classified as "Behavioral & Social Sciences" or "other"?

Also, are you guys capitalizing your course name (like on the transcript?

Behavioral and social science, on the AMCAS resources page it has a page that gives guidelines for course classification

Quick transcript question...

-Say i initially classify a course as social science instead of biology. When AMCAS starts to verify my transcript and they decide to change the classification to biology, will there be a delay in my application verification or will AMCAS just change it immediately and that will be the end of it?

What i'm trying to say is that can I just take a chance to classify a course I got a bad grade in as social science instead of biology without negatively affecting my applicaiton or verification time?

Thanks

I don't think it slows down you application. I know that if you make more than 10 mistakes AMCAS will return it, but I think that only refers to listing the wrong grade, course number, credits, etc

Members don't see this ad :)

When you send your transcript to AMCAS, they just hold onto it until you submit your primary. Verifying your transcript means that they compare the copy from your school to what you entered in the application. So, nothing will happen until you hit send and pay your money

Yes I've seen the list. But aren't there sometimes exceptions based on the topic of the course?

I think you classify the course based on the content, not the course number or title. For example, I took a course called Physiological Psychology, but it was essentially anatomy and physiology of the nervous system, so I listed it as biology. According to the pre-health advisors at my school, many applicants have done this without having any problems.

Hi all, I was just wondering how to classify an EMT course taken at a private, for-profit institute (not a college). They don't provide transcripts or grades, but they do provide a certificate of completion. Does it go under schools attended, and if so, how do I classify it, as there is no option for vocational or trade schools? The school's name is American Health Education (Dublin, CA ). Thank you so much in advance!

When you send your transcript to AMCAS, they just hold onto it until you submit your primary. Verifying your transcript means that they compare the copy from your school to what you entered in the application. So, nothing will happen until you hit send and pay your money

Makes sense. So just to clarify, I can expect to see on my AMCAS that my transcripts have been recieved, but verification will only occur after I pay and complete the entire application? Also, now after the wait time its taking for AMCAS just to recieve my transcripts, do I have to wait again for them to verify my transcripts?:confused:

Makes sense. So just to clarify, I can expect to see on my AMCAS that my transcripts have been recieved, but verification will only occur after I pay and complete the entire application? Also, now after the wait time its taking for AMCAS just to recieve my transcripts, do I have to wait again for them to verify my transcripts?:confused:

Yes. Nothing will be verified until after you submit; they just hold them until then.

So there a section that requires us to list any felony or misdemeanor convictions. I received a traffic ticket last year and I don't know if it counts as a misdemeanor or not. Should I list it or not? If it matters, I live in NJ.

Should we format it in the PS Box the same way it is formatted in Word/Open Office (e.g tabbing each new paragraph) or should we align it all to the left and just place an empty line between each paragraph?

So there a section that requires us to list any felony or misdemeanor convictions. I received a traffic ticket last year and I don't know if it counts as a misdemeanor or not. Should I list it or not? If it matters, I live in NJ.

I don't think traffic tickets are misdemeanors.. unless you were charged with reckless driving or something of that sort.

Did everyone use all the characters for their personal statement?

I'm at 4300 and feel like i've written a solid essay and don't have much more to say. Would this look really bad?

I'm at 4300 and feel like i've written a solid essay and don't have much more to say. Would this look really bad?

Not at all. If you really want to, you can try expanding on your opener or on your final words. But if you feel that you've got a solid essay in 4300 characters, don't sweat it!

Mine is about 4400 and it's the same one I'm using for AACOMAS (4500 limit).

Hey I have a few questions about ECs:

1) how do I list my research dates? I started research on a 10 week summer fellowship after my freshman year. Then my year was too crowded and I couldn't continue during the school year. I continued in the same lab the next summer for most of the summer before leaving early for a study abroad for the first quarter of school. Then after I got back I continued in my old lab for a quarter before switching labs, and continued in the new lab for the rest of that year, the following summer, and my last year of college.

Now I've moved to a new state and have been doing research in a new lab for a year.

So do I say I've been doing research since summer of 2008? Or...?

Also, though I've spent so many years in research, I haven't gotten any publications. (unless you count like 3rd and 5th author on two abstracts...) Is that bad? : / And I switched labs because I wasn't excited about the research in my first lab (mainly, I was the only one who worked with cells) and I didn't understand anything... so I'm scared that I will get asked questions about it that I won't be able to answer because, frankly, it was a very long time ago and I haven't thought about that research since then.

2) what should I list shadowing under? I don't really consider it volunteering, and besides I have a separate volunteering experience...

3) and along that note (sorry for the long post!). I started volunteering at a temporary position, just for a month, before I started my current position. They're both in the same hospital, but they were pretty different jobs. Should I just ignore the first position and start with the date of the current one?

Hey, how many characters are you given for the extracurricular/activities/work section? I know 15 slots total, with extra room for the three which you designate as most meaningful, but how many characters allowed for the other 12 that you aren't giving a special designation for? Thanks!

So I just got a job for the next year that starts in June. Would you list this in the work/activities section, or save it for the question on the secondary that asks you to update them on your gap year plans?

hey, how many characters are you given for the extracurricular/activities/work section? I know 15 slots total, with extra room for the three which you designate as most meaningful, but how many characters allowed for the other 12 that you aren't giving a special designation for? Thanks!

Hey I have a few questions about ECs:

1) how do I list my research dates? I started research on a 10 week summer fellowship after my freshman year. Then my year was too crowded and I couldn't continue during the school year. I continued in the same lab the next summer for most of the summer before leaving early for a study abroad for the first quarter of school. Then after I got back I continued in my old lab for a quarter before switching labs, and continued in the new lab for the rest of that year, the following summer, and my last year of college.

Now I've moved to a new state and have been doing research in a new lab for a year.

So do I say I've been doing research since summer of 2008? Or...?

Also, though I've spent so many years in research, I haven't gotten any publications. (unless you count like 3rd and 5th author on two abstracts...) Is that bad? : / And I switched labs because I wasn't excited about the research in my first lab (mainly, I was the only one who worked with cells) and I didn't understand anything... so I'm scared that I will get asked questions about it that I won't be able to answer because, frankly, it was a very long time ago and I haven't thought about that research since then.

2) what should I list shadowing under? I don't really consider it volunteering, and besides I have a separate volunteering experience...

3) and along that note (sorry for the long post!). I started volunteering at a temporary position, just for a month, before I started my current position. They're both in the same hospital, but they were pretty different jobs. Should I just ignore the first position and start with the date of the current one?

1) You can list it however you want and then elaborate about the timing in the description if you want. Just be honest and it's fine. And no, not having publications isn't bad by any means.
2) I listed my shadowing under "other".
3) I'd say if you have room I'd list them both.

You can title it "Volunteer Positions at ABC Hospital" and list dates as the start of your first through present. In the description, you can list them both, give the exact dates, and put descriptions for each. Or just ignore the month-long if you don't feel it adds anything.

gyaaahh I'm nearing the "app submission opens in a week" freak out point...

would a student fellowship (for 10 weeks of summer research) count as an award/honors? and would any presentations for it count as, well, presentations? Basically, there were like 20 of us, and in week 5 and 10 we had to present our research to everyone. And we had to submit an abstracty thing for the program beforehand.

thanks!

would a student fellowship (for 10 weeks of summer research) count as an award/honors? and would any presentations for it count as, well, presentations? Basically, there were like 20 of us, and in week 5 and 10 we had to present our research to everyone. And we had to submit an abstracty thing for the program beforehand.

thanks!

Presentations ad posters really mean scholarly work you may have published or presented at a conference, like SFN or ATVB, etc....otherwise, I would have like 13 posters/presentations haha

thanks!

Honestly, if it was a poster presentation, just list it as that. I know others have said that it only counts at major conferences and what not, but there is really no strict or outlined rule in regards to listing it as such. As long as you describe your presentation as it was, what's the worst that could happen? At worst, they might not look at it as favorable as someone who is published or presented at a major institution, but no one would fault you for it.

On the essay summary page, I am seeing added spaces between words, like experiencing is showing as experiencin g. I don't see this on the PDF of my application though. Is any one else experiencing this?

On the coursework section, are studio art classes "lecture only" or "combined lecture & lab"?

Oh, and graphic design courses: Fine arts? Communication? I think my AA in graphic design is about to magically change into a "communications" degree according to AMCAS.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage if I opt to self-identify myself?

Also, should I add my upcoming Fall classes to Course Work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I will be applying as an average student, meaning I don't have the best gpa. I also am taking my MCAT in June. I was wondering if I should still submit my application June 5th or wait until end of June (that is when my summer science grade is reflected on my official transcript and it's an A)? This one grade won't make that big of a difference but it will improve my overall and science gpa. I'm confused as to wait or if I should just submit, because I don't know if medical schools will even look at my application until my MCAT scores are in (July 24th). If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hey, does anyone know if we can email our trancscripts to AMCAS (by requesting registrar to send an e-trancript) or do they only accept hard copies?

Hey, does anyone know if we can email our trancscripts to AMCAS (by requesting registrar to send an e-trancript) or do they only accept hard copies?
Hi, I think they only take mailed in copies. You are not allowed to fax or email official transcripts.

Hi all, I was just wondering how to classify an EMT course taken at a private, for-profit institute (not a college). They don't provide transcripts or grades, but they do provide a certificate of completion. Does it go under schools attended, and if so, how do I classify it, as there is no option for vocational or trade schools? The school's name is American Health Education (Dublin, CA ). Thank you so much in advance!

Can anyone please help with this question? I've tried contacting AMCAS, and they've not been helpful. Thanks in advance!

Can anyone please help with this question? I've tried contacting AMCAS, and they've not been helpful. Thanks in advance!

I don't believe it counts as school. (I didn't put anything with a certificate of completion on mine.) If you are working as an EMT, can it just be assumed that you took the course? If not, you can mention it in your 700 characters if you want.

Is anyone putting down AED/First Aid/CPR certification?

question about transcript, please bear with me...
I know it has been stated clearly that you should send in a transcript from every university you attended. BUT here's my situation: I took a French course last summer through a French university in Canada, I did not transfer it to my university, so there's no indication whatsoever that I took that course at all on my university transcript.
The thing about requesting a transcript from that French university is that I'm really afraid that there's going to be some kind of mix up with the language issue, and my verification will be delayed and if there is I can't even call that university and ask (my French ability is, um, non-conversational.) so my question is: what if I didn't put down this course? how will the AMCAS people know?

Merci! (see what I did there?)

Can you have your primary verified without AMCAS having received your LOR's? If so, will schools look at and send you a secondary if AMCAS has not yet received the LOR's? Please help me--I'm very stressed out about this as I can't seem to get in reach with a professor who is supposed to have sent in my LOR already!

Can you have your primary verified without AMCAS having received your LOR's? If so, will schools look at and send you a secondary if AMCAS has not yet received the LOR's? Please help me--I'm very stressed out about this as I can't seem to get in reach with a professor who is supposed to have sent in my LOR already!

Yes and yes, but schools won't start considering your secondary until your LORs are received by them.

My father died almost 15 years ago, and AMCAS wants to know what high school he went to. What the hell?

I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on this...

So I'm mostly set to send in my app June 6.
But.
I have zero shadowing experience. I have quite a bit of clinical experience, paid and volunteer, just zero physician shadowing time. I do have a relative who is a practicing physician in a rural area, and I know I can have a great experience shadowing him and other docs at that hospital, the thing is its at least a plane ride to get there and so I haven't had the opportunity until this summer.
Could I get away with sending in my primary with zero shadowing experience, and then later update with a boatload of shadowing time? Or am I better off not sending in my primary until I have at least some shadowing experience?

I was wondering if i got AP credit for Biology and its listed on my transcript as two 4 credit classes - should i enter it twice in my first semester or just once and call it 8 credits?

Also- anyone know autoscreen cut offs for things like sGPA. or is it more cGPA that will get u autoscreened? I'm curious if i should wait to request a trans until early July when ill have a few more sci classes in with As. Any advice on if that's just plain too late. I'm unsure of what's considered "early" and "late" with the application honestly.