*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

Started by aSagacious
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know we're not supposed to stress over submitted applications but I saw a mistake when I was checking the GPA calculation. I meant to write "20 hours in July and August 2010 during office hour" for the experience description but the system cut off the last two words 🙁. Do you think I should notify the schools about my mistake or just hope that no one will notice it? Any feedback is appreciated!


Anyone?
 
After I completed my undergraduate studies and graduated, I still had a few pre-reqs to complete, so I did them at a local CC. Many secondaries ask if I've transferred. Would this be considered transferring? No, right? Also, would I be considered a post-bac student, even if I wasn't in an official post-bac program?
 
After I completed my undergraduate studies and graduated, I still had a few pre-reqs to complete, so I did them at a local CC. Many secondaries ask if I've transferred. Would this be considered transferring? No, right? Also, would I be considered a post-bac student, even if I wasn't in an official post-bac program?

No, not a transfer student. Yes, a post-bacc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question of the year:

Is a Hans C Andersen course considered "English Language and Literature" or Foreign Languages and Literature?
 
1) You are not a transfer student.

2) I don't think you are a post-bac student because you aren't enrolled in a post-bac program. You are just taking CC courses to fulfill the pre-med requirements.


After I completed my undergraduate studies and graduated, I still had a few pre-reqs to complete, so I did them at a local CC. Many secondaries ask if I've transferred. Would this be considered transferring? No, right? Also, would I be considered a post-bac student, even if I wasn't in an official post-bac program?
 
When I submitted my AMCAS, I did not assign any LORs to the schools because I did not receive all of them at the time. As I have received the last LOR today, I will assign the LORs to my school list. My question is, I do NOT need to resubmit after I assign LORs to schools right ?

Anyone ?
 
When I submitted my AMCAS, I did not assign any LORs to the schools because I did not receive all of them at the time. As I have received the last LOR today, I will assign the LORs to my school list. My question is, I do NOT need to resubmit after I assign LORs to schools right ?


I believe that is correct. You can only submit your entire AAMC application once.
 
I submitted my application to be verified in mid-June to one school. I haven't been verified yet. If I add the rest of my schools now, will I be put at the end of the line to be verified? Should I wait until after I am verified to add schools?
 
I submitted my application on June 6th with only a transcript containing 2 classes missing. They received this transcript on June 11th and my application status is still "ready for review".

Should I call and ask what's going on? Has anyone else submitted early and still not had theirs processed?

The status changed to "ready for review" on June 14th.
 
I am confused as to how to describe my activities. Should I focus more on what I did or on hardships/skills gained etc. or would the latter be more for my PS?

Also, I haven't received my MCAT (rewrite) scores yet but I am a Canadian applicant so should I until August for my grades or just submit with 2-3 schools (based on previous MCAT score)and add later? -- I am really confused about this matter!!
 
I'm part of the fee-assistance program. I heard that we can get the secondary application fee waived for some schools. How would I tell the school that I am part of the FAP (lol) program and get the fee waived? Am I supposed to call or is it included somewhere in the secondary?
 
I'm part of the fee-assistance program. I heard that we can get the secondary application fee waived for some schools. How would I tell the school that I am part of the FAP (lol) program and get the fee waived? Am I supposed to call or is it included somewhere in the secondary?

I have seen the questions asked on several secondaries.
 
I'm part of the fee-assistance program. I heard that we can get the secondary application fee waived for some schools. How would I tell the school that I am part of the FAP (lol) program and get the fee waived? Am I supposed to call or is it included somewhere in the secondary?

For many schools, they will be notified when AMCAS sends them your app. Some school emailed me to let me know that my fee is waived because AMCAS told them so. For some other schools, after you fill in your secondary with your AMCAS ID, they will automatically waive your fee.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we have to list both biological parents on AMCAS? My father walked out on our family in high school. Though I know his whereabouts, I have not spoken to him in many years. He has since moved on and has another family.

I would rather not list him on AMCAS because he has not supported me at all.

Is this something that I have to do or will it look suspicious on AMCAS if I don't mention it?

I imagine that my recommendations allude to me supporting myself, so I am not sure if that would provide enough justification for me not listing him.


Thanks!
 
I submitted my application to be verified in mid-June to one school. I haven't been verified yet. If I add the rest of my schools now, will I be put at the end of the line to be verified? Should I wait until after I am verified to add schools?
If you add more schools and recertify the application, you will not lose your place in the line for verification.
 
So I marked that I would be applying MD/PhD some time ago when I was starting the application but now I'm applying MD only. Is there a way to change this so that I can get rid of the two extra essays in the essay section?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. Sorry about that. 🙂
 
I grew up in Indiana, and have been in FL ever since living with my aunt for undergrad. I am attempting to pursue FL residency, and would like to know if choosing "not to answer" where I spent the first 18 years of my life in the demographics section will affect my application in any way, or if that will even be a factor when schools evaluate state residency.

If I do decide to leave it with my Indiana hometown, what qualifies as medically underserved? I am from a rural town that was around 20 miles outside of a city where healthcare was available, but that city has sufficient healthcare I think.

Thanks for the advice!
 
If my transcript will be received on Wednesday, does it matter if I submit my AMCAS now or Wednesday (since I can't be verified until they receive my transcript)? Will submitting my AMCAS now make a big difference?
 
Do we have to list both biological parents on AMCAS? My father walked out on our family in high school. Though I know his whereabouts, I have not spoken to him in many years. He has since moved on and has another family.

I would rather not list him on AMCAS because he has not supported me at all.

Is this something that I have to do or will it look suspicious on AMCAS if I don't mention it?

I imagine that my recommendations allude to me supporting myself, so I am not sure if that would provide enough justification for me not listing him.


Thanks!

I would mention him, only because I think that section has to do with your life from birth to age 18, while living at home. Is that correct? I don't believe it has to do with support.

If my transcript will be received on Wednesday, does it matter if I submit my AMCAS now or Wednesday (since I can't be verified until they receive my transcript)? Will submitting my AMCAS now make a big difference?

You will get in queue earlier if submitted now, and your transcript will come while you're waiting in line. I'd make the decision based on how you feel about your app. If you spend a few more days thinking over the information and improving it, definitely wait.
 
I just got an email from Boston University saying they received my app, but on AMCAS it says it's still not verified. I submitted July 2.

Huh?
 
I am planning on taking biochem this fall since many schools either require or recommend it, but I haven't decided where I will be taking it (I've graduated from college). How do I list this as future coursework? Seems like I have to list an institution.
 
have a few questions for the course work section. getting really neurotic, as i'm probably going to submit today. sorry if these questions are dumb.

1) my school classifies courses based upon 'credits'. so, if a course at my school is 4 credits, is that the same as saying it is 4 'credit hours' when filling out the amcas course work section?

2) 'semester hours' is something completely different than any of the above, correct? and is calculated based off a conversion guide the school gives to amcas?

3) i was a freshman 08-09. i took a summer class the summer after freshman year. i know that for academic year, the summer class gets categorized as 09-10, not 08-09. my question is regarding the 'year in school' you assign to the summer class. what i did in my app is that, since the summer class after freshman year and since it got categorized as the 09-10 year, which was my sophomore year, i put my 'year in school' as a sophomore for that summer class. i did this style for the rest of my summer courses too, for later years. is this the correct way of doing it?
 
Last edited:
Anyone know how long it takes between your school uploading letters of recommendation to AMCAS, and AMCAS acknowledging that they received them?
 
I have a general question not necessarily AMCAS related. When you apply, do schools straight up tell you that they rejected you? I noticed that on the school specific page, the secondary essays are posted, and I've received secondaries from some schools, and none from others, even though the essays are up. Does that mean I'm rejected? I guess I'm just wondering how long the secondary period and if there is a moment when you know you're rejected.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am submitting my AMCAS in several days. When do I send them my official transcript? After I submit it?
 
How long does it normally take between getting verified and receiving secondaries? I just got verified today and several of the schools I have applied to have already released their first batch of secondaries. Thanks!

p.s. I'm not sure if this has been asked but I couldn't find it in the search
 
im a little unsure how to enter a repeated class for AMCAS. it was much simpler with the DO app. How should i mark the original taking and then the repeat?
 
Do we have to list both biological parents on AMCAS? My father walked out on our family in high school. Though I know his whereabouts, I have not spoken to him in many years. He has since moved on and has another family.

I would rather not list him on AMCAS because he has not supported me at all.

Is this something that I have to do or will it look suspicious on AMCAS if I don't mention it?

I imagine that my recommendations allude to me supporting myself, so I am not sure if that would provide enough justification for me not listing him.


Thanks!


You have to mention that he is not a part of your life and get a lawyer or clergy member to write a letter stating you are independent
 
If I haven't actually "declared" my minors with the registrar's office... can I still put them on my application or might that cause problems?
 
Just submitted my AMCAS. MCAT score is already loaded, and they've already received my transcript.

Am I still considered "late" for all intensive purposes?
 
Hi everyone,

I just joined today because I've been looking for an answer to this question, and I can't seem to find it. Sorry if it's been answered already, my apologies.

I'm submitting the AMCAS this week, but I don't get my MCAT scores until 8/5 (took 7/6 MCAT). I don't want to wait until August to apply, since I do know the process takes 6 weeks. So like others have said, I'm planning to submit it with only one school and wait for the verification. Here is my question: Once it's verified...and I get my first secondary... and by then I know my MCAT score and add additional schools... I should get the other secondaries within a few days, right? I won't have to wait for it get verified allll over again... right? This is what seems logical to me, and the AMCAS faq, like everyone on here, says you can add schools. I'm just paranoid and concerned that I'll have to wait again.

Thank you everybody!!


PS. everyone said to apply to one of your lower tier schools... being the ever pessimist, I don't want to waste a potential school I could go to for this first school, whether its "low tier" or not... would it be a bad idea to apply to a ridiculously competitive school, say, Hopkins, since I know that there is no way in the world I'm getting into it anyway?
 
Upon reading secondaries I realized that I answered NO for the institutional action question on AMCAS when it should have been yes. I can't believe I overlooked that! 🙁 How can I fix this? E-mail all the schools' admissions offices with the change and and explanation or just the schools I'm receiving secondaries from? I'll greatly appreciate any advice.
 
My current research will culminate into an Honors senior thesis, which I will be writing next Spring. Can I list this as an activity?
 
Course Classification; FYI

To those wondering about listing certain courses, psychology classes in particular, as BCMP: Well, I listed a couple psych classes (physio psych and abnorm psych) as BIO and a psych research methods class as MATH, and a couple of others.

THEY ALL WENT THROUGH.

If you haven't submitted yet and think your class can pass as BCPM (and you got an A), I'd list it as a bcmp if I were you and just see what happens. At worst, they change it back to the original, but at best, you get a nice sGPA boost!
 
Hello, I made a mistake on my AMCAS. I listed several classes as lecture, when they are lecture and lab. Does anyone know if AMCAS will make the corrections? Thanks
 
How long does it usually take AMCAS to receive transcripts? I had mine sent out 7/24 and I still have yet to hear from them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From the time that your school sent it? Perhaps the mail is taking longer to get to DC since I'm in California.

Yes. I think the one that took the longest (a week) came from FL. The TX ones got there in a matter of days. I think the slowdown wasn't in the mail, but in how long it took them to pull it together after the request. My TX schools sent it in the same day.

Keep in mind that (as of yesterday, at least) they are working on marking received the transcripts they got on the 24th. So there are a few days on the AMCAS end before you see it too. There was basically no lag there when I sent in May.
 
Yes. I think the one that took the longest (a week) came from FL. The TX ones got there in a matter of days. I think the slowdown wasn't in the mail, but in how long it took them to pull it together after the request. My TX schools sent it in the same day.

Keep in mind that (as of yesterday, at least) they are working on marking received the transcripts they got on the 24th. So there are a few days on the AMCAS end before you see it too. There was basically no lag there when I sent in May.

Hm, well I guess my school is just taking a while to get it done. Where did you get that information about AMCAS' progress by the way?
 
Hm, well I guess my school is just taking a while to get it done. Where did you get that information about AMCAS' progress by the way?

It's on the 2013 app log-in page in red bold at the top. (It goes away once you log in.) It says the 30th now, so maybe I looked at the wrong section yesterday. Sounds like about 3 days wait can be expected there then.
 
It's on the 2013 app log-in page in red bold at the top. (It goes away once you log in.) It says the 30th now, so maybe I looked at the wrong section yesterday. Sounds like about 3 days wait can be expected there then.

😱 How did I manage to miss that? :laugh: Thanks a lot for your help!