*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup that's the usual strategy
I'm taking the MCAT May 31st, as well. So why not apply to all the school you'd like to at the same time? I'll be applying to about 15. Wouldn't they all receive the MCAT scores after they post if I submit my application before the scores are ready?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the MCAT May 31st, as well. So why not apply to all the school you'd like to at the same time? I'll be applying to about 15. Wouldn't they all receive the MCAT scores after they post if I submit my application before the scores are ready?
The strategy is to apply to only one school just in case you don't do as well as you hoped on the MCAT. If you decide that you want to retake the MCAT and apply the following year, you just wasted hundreds of dollars and became a reapplicant at all of those schools

Yes, all schools you apply to will automatically receive your MCAT score once it is ready

Does anyone know if the AMCAS will automatically re-populate with your data if you apply for a second time? I thought I read this somewhere, but now I can't find it

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit: Sorry, yes, it will. Check the AMCAS login page.

https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2012/

Merging with the AMCAS questions thread.

Does anyone know if the AMCAS will automatically re-populate with your data if you apply for a second time? I thought I read this somewhere, but now I can't find it

Edit: Sorry, yes, it will. Check the AMCAS login page.

https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2012/

ahh thats where I saw it. thanks!

If you filled out, but never submitted the Primary for verification, it won't save the data though, except for a minimal amount of identifying information.

I just wanted to clarify something as far as waiting on MCAT scores go and applying.

So if I am taking the MCAT on May 31st, ideally I would want to submit the AMCAS on June 5th and only select one school? Then once I get my MCAT scores add other schools to my list?

If I am taking the MCAT May 24th, the tentative score release is June 26th. So would it be wise for me to submit on June 5th to one school that I know I won't get into and then add others once I get my score back?

Are there any consequences or problems with this approach?

If I am taking the MCAT May 24th, the tentative score release is June 26th. So would it be wise for me to submit on June 5th to one school that I know I won't get into and then add others once I get my score back?

Are there any consequences or problems with this approach?
It is a reasonable approach, for the sake of faster verification, as you don't know how competitive you will be until you see the score, and schools you'd apply to would vary widely if you got a 28 vs a 38.

The only drawback of submitting without knowing the score would be if your score is well below expectations and unlikely to appeal to any school, in which case you are out the initial AMCAS fee for a single school.

Figured I will try again here....

If my transcript lists bio lecture and lab courses as follows:

Biology 4000 5 credits
Lab for Bio 4000 0 credits

Do I have to enter the "and Lab" designation to the Biology 4000 class when entering into AMCAS? I know I will have to check the box that states whether the class included a lab or not. The lecture credit includes the lab credit, but as you can see, my transcript lists the lab separately as well.

I know the rule of thumb is to follow whatever your transcript states, but would entering into AMCAS as:

Bio 4000 and Lab 5 credits

be seen as a duplication and cause confusion/delay in verifying?

Any suggestions on this as well? I definitely would love to know!

Is Honors Research/Independent Studies counted towards the BMCP? I have heard that it does count but also that it doesn't count because it's not a "class". Clarification from someone with experience on this would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Is Honors Research/Independent Studies counted towards the BMCP? I have heard that it does count but also that it doesn't count because it's not a "class". Clarification from someone with experience on this would be appreciated.
It is probably going to come down to what department gave you credit for the class on your transcript. If it's a BCPM department then it should count. If it's something generic then we usually see AMCAS switch it to non-BCPM.

That's what I've read anyway. I had mentored research credit count as BCPM because it was in bio

Members don't see this ad :)
Figured I will try again here....

If my transcript lists bio lecture and lab courses as follows:

Biology 4000 5 credits

Do I have to enter the "and Lab" designation to the Biology 4000 class when entering into AMCAS? I know I will have to check the box that states whether the class included a lab or not. The lecture credit includes the lab credit, but as you can see, my transcript lists the lab separately as well.

I know the rule of thumb is to follow whatever your transcript states, but would entering into AMCAS as:

Bio 4000 and Lab 5 credits

be seen as a duplication and cause confusion/delay in verifying?
I think that you would list the BIO 4000 without adding the "and Lab" because the lab line would also need to be entered as a separate course on your transcript. The tricky part is do you list it as 0 credit hours or do you use the "Exempt" designation for the lab course? I want to say that you would put 0 credit hours just like your transcript says but I'm not sure.

You could always call to clarify the issue. They're probably not super busy right now (but will be soon :laugh:)

It is probably going to come down to what department gave you credit for the class on your transcript. If it's a BCPM department then it should count. If it's something generic then we usually see AMCAS switch it to non-BCPM.

That's what I've read anyway. I had mentored research credit count as BCPM because it was in bio

Ah, thanks. I was planning to do honors research in bio too.

I completed Physics 1 in high school not a US high school but the IGCSE, international general certificate of secondary education, so it was waived when I was admitted to university. Am i required to enter this in AMCAS? Am I required to send a transcript in this case?

Last edited:
What font size does one use for the ps and activities? Is it specified? I am also planning to copy and paste. Is there a special format to do this? I seem to remember it should be in pdf? Thanks!

Had one more quick question....

Can you paste things into the AMCAS application (i.e. personal statement, activity descriptions) from Microsoft Word? Or will that mess up the formatting once you paste it? Do you need to first save it as a text file or something?

Thanks!
It is recommended that you copy and paste into a plain text editor first so that the formatting works better

What font size does one use for the ps and activities? Is it specified? I am also planning to copy and paste. Is there a special format to do this? I seem to remember it should be in pdf? Thanks!
You have no control over any of this. All you can do is type into the box. Copy and paste your stuff into a plain text editor first if you're using Word so that you can avoid strange stuff happening when you paste into the box.

I completed Physics 1 in high school not a US high school but the IGCSE, international general certificate of secondary education, so it was waived when I was admitted to university. Am i required to enter this in AMCAS? Am I required to send a transcript in this case?
Does the credit appear on your university's transcript that you are already going to be sending in?

So will this thing open at midnight tonight?

Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance for making this as an I-have-a-late-May-MCAT-what-do-I-do thread, but I was wondering if there were any other negative implications aside from losing money for submitting the AMCAS (applying to one school), but then deciding to not apply this cycle afterall? I am guessing I would be labeled as a re-applicant for when I am truly ready to apply? Is this problematic at all or am I just overthinking things?

My advisor recommended waiting for my MCAT scores before submitting, but I would prefer to get my application verified ASAP since I have a less competitive gpa and a somewhat complicated academic record (e.g., college courses during high school, summer schools, grad school, post bacc, etc.).

So I volunteered as an EMT throughout college and had to take a variety of continuing education classes (pass/fail) to maintain my cert. Most of these courses are offered for no purpose other than to help EMS professionals maintain their certification. I'll be sending transcripts from the community college that offered the courses but do I need to list these courses in the coursework section of AMCAS? They show up on my transcript, along with my initial certification class. Any insight is welcome. Thanks.

So I volunteered as an EMT throughout college and had to take a variety of continuing education classes (pass/fail) to maintain my cert. Most of these courses are offered for no purpose other than to help EMS professionals maintain their certification. I'll be sending transcripts from the community college that offered the courses but do I need to list these courses in the coursework section of AMCAS? They show up on my transcript, along with my initial certification class. Any insight is welcome. Thanks.

Yes if they're on your transcript you must list them. They won't touch your GPA though since they're P/F

Yes if they're on your transcript you must list them. They won't touch your GPA though since they're P/F
+1. This is an interesting situation, as most of the CE classes here in CO don't offer college credit. However, if they are listed then yes you have to list them.

I need to request my transcript ASAP, that process takes a while

Where would "toxicology" fall under? Biology, or health sciences?

Is AMCAS going to open this morning? Did someone forget to flip the switch?

Because transcript processing can take a while, is it a good/bad idea to request that your school sends your academic transcript to AMCAS before you actually submit your application? I was listening to their FAQ-type video and it said it can take 6 weeks to process the transcripts. Even if it takes me a couple weeks to get my application together, wouldn't it make sense for me to get the transcripts sent now to make things smoother?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its been may 1st for like 9 hours!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ITS OPEN NOW!!!!!!!!

Need primary 100% prepared in the next 15 minutes else medschool aspirations are doomed!

If I am taking a developmental math class beginning in June, right around the time I submit, do I need to have this on amcas as in progress? it would look silly and I want to keep it off ( its not something I would have to do but I am rusty and it would be good discipline so I could wait)

Also, all my other prerreqs and upper level classes are completed so would I have to list future courses or is this optional?

Good luck guys!
Just finished the cycle and I have to say it has truly been a learning experience. Remember to stay positive and keep an open mind.

Hey guys, a few quick questions:

1. I took a cartooning course in HS through an art school and then a study abroad two week course in college through the same college. In AMCAS when i list it as another college it asks for a start and stop date, what should be listed? Start of cartooning course and the stop of the study abroad course? Or list the college twice? The cartooning course is showing up on the art schools transcript so im assuming I have to list it.

2. Im in a six year pharmacy program that grants me a graduate degree. However the first four years are considered undergraduate. But i dont receive a bachelors degree. Do I just list the whole six years as graduate educations without listing an undergraduate institution? Or do they need to be broken up? The school didnt change.

3. Silly question: Im receiving a Pharm.D. (Doctor of Pharmacy). Which one of these should I list under expected degree? The abbreviated or the full degree name?

4. Back in freshman year a teacher submitted a failing grade for one of my classes (not an F but whatever the grade is that is pretty much an F but doesnt count towards gpa... dont remember what the letter is haha). In any case within a month I appealed it and had my grade changed to a B. I went to my school and asked if there was anything on record. All they had was a grade change form. However during that month before the grade was changed I was put on probation by the school. There is nothing on my record that signifies that this happened, but AMCAS is making me think that I should list this as an institutional action... should I?

Last edited:
Quick question, when browsing through the disadvantaged section here I came across:

State and Federal Assistance Programs: These programs are specifically defined as "Means-Tested Programs" under which the individual, family, or household income and assets must be below specified thresholds. The sponsoring agencies then provide cash and non-cash assistance to eligible individuals, families, or households. Such programs include welfare benefit programs (federal, state, and local) Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC or ADC); unemployment compensation; General Assistance (GA); food stamps; Supplemental Security Income (SSI); Medicaid; housing assistance; or other federal, state, or local financial assistance programs.

Specifically the "unemployment compensation" part caught my eye. Does that mean I am disadvantaged because one of my parents collected unemployment at any point in time? I mean, personally I would rather not as I do not feel I was disadvantaged via 1 of my parents brief unemployed period. I paid my whole way through college on my own, perhaps that is an unemployed factor in itself?

Also is a spouse a dependent?

Anyone else having trouble with the schools attended section? It keeps telling me that I haven't finished it when I try to click add courses, but I've filled everything in there. I'm using Chrome, btw.

Also is a spouse a dependent?

X2 on this. I goggled it and for tax purposes you can list them if you provide more than 50% of their financial support. I dunno what the benefit of listing them on amcas would be though?

Anyone else having trouble with the schools attended section? It keeps telling me that I haven't finished it when I try to click add courses, but I've filled everything in there. I'm using Chrome, btw.

Nope, works for me. Be sure to click continue when you're at the schools attended page. Trying logging out/logging in. I am also in chrome btw.

Hi,

My university is able to email official transcripts, with attachments. I sent one to myself, and it requires the recipient to recieve a second email with password, in order to download a pdf of the official transcript.

I was wondering:

1. Will AMCAS recieve transcripts electronically by email, or fax? (I scoured the AAMC website and found nothing)

2. If anyone has sent them electronically before, was it a complete pain in the ***, or did it work out ok?

Thanks!

Question about study abroad work.

I attended a LAC but partook in Sea Semester program through Boston University. It consisted of 6 weeks in Woods Hole, MA taking classes and 6 weeks at sea conducting research. BU has a transcript for me but my LAC only accepted the credits and not the grades. I'm just wondering if this falls under the "Foreign college--study abroad program sponsored by a US, US territorial, or Canadian College" section for transcript exemption request. Or do I need to request the transcript from BU?

Hi,

My university is able to email official transcripts, with attachments. I sent one to myself, and it requires the recipient to recieve a second email with password, in order to download a pdf of the official transcript.

I was wondering:

1. Will AMCAS recieve transcripts electronically by email, or fax? (I scoured the AAMC website and found nothing)

2. If anyone has sent them electronically before, was it a complete pain in the ***, or did it work out ok?

Thanks!

No, never.

+1. This is an interesting situation, as most of the CE classes here in CO don't offer college credit. However, if they are listed then yes you have to list them.

That's the weird thing, they aren't college credit courses. Here in NC it's almost as if the community college has 2 divisions, one that does regular community college stuff and one that functions as a separate entity to do Fire/EMS/Other Public Safety stuff. Also the hours they list on the transcript are the contact hours for each course (189.00 for initial cert., 6 for helicopter transport, 3 for "respiratory emergencies" course, 3 for Med. directors update, etc..)

That's the weird thing, they aren't college credit courses. Here in NC it's almost as if the community college has 2 divisions, one that does regular community college stuff and one that functions as a separate entity to do Fire/EMS/Other Public Safety stuff. Also the hours they list on the transcript are the contact hours for each course (189.00 for initial cert., 6 for helicopter transport, 3 for "respiratory emergencies" course, 3 for Med. directors update, etc..)
Yeah that is definitely weird. Most of mine just issue a certificate with your hours received on the certificate. Eh different methods for different states...

When putting down contact information for ECs/activities, is it kosher to put yourself as the contact for the ECs?

What the ****, it erased all my information?!