*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am having trouble finding this information in the AMCAS instruction manual. For summer courses, my school has Summer Session I & II. Should I just go ahead and list both courses under Summer (quarter), since AMCAS doesn't make that distinction? Also, would I classify the summer as part of the previous academic year or the upcoming academic year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm uncertain what the difference is between experience name and organization on the activities section. For example, for shadowing, experience name is shadowing or would you put shadowing Internal Medicine, then for organization put the Dr.'s name? For hobbies there doesn't have to be an organization, right? What about a free clinic- if you put the name of the clinic in experience name then what do you put for organization if there is no other name for the clinic? How would you do it for research? Sorry if this is obvious to all of you, I just didn't know there were both experience name and organization, so I haven't thought about it. Thanks!

Hey guys!

So I am retaking my MCAT on the 31st, so I won't have my scores until the end of the month, but I was wondering if you guys suggest I submit my AMCAS anyway? I don't want schools to review my application based on my old MCAT score. Do schools even look at your application, or do they wait until your score is in? Please help me out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

So I am retaking my MCAT on the 31st, so I won't have my scores until the end of the month, but I was wondering if you guys suggest I submit my AMCAS anyway? I don't want schools to review my application based on my old MCAT score. Do schools even look at your application, or do they wait until your score is in? Please help me out!

Hey guys!

2 options:

1. Submit to 1 low tier school to get your AMCAS verified and then submit to all other schools immediately after receiving your MCAT score

OR

2. Submit your application to all schools you want to apply to and then indicate on AMCAS the date that you will be retaking your MCAT. Schools will wait to review until that MCAT score is in.

I'm uncertain what the difference is between experience name and organization on the activities section. For example, for shadowing, experience name is shadowing or would you put shadowing Internal Medicine, then for organization put the Dr.'s name? For hobbies there doesn't have to be an organization, right? What about a free clinic- if you put the name of the clinic in experience name then what do you put for organization if there is no other name for the clinic? How would you do it for research? Sorry if this is obvious to all of you, I just didn't know there were both experience name and organization, so I haven't thought about it. Thanks!

here's an example from my application:

Experience Name: Shadowing - Interventional Cardiology

Organization: Brigham and Women's Hospital

I am having trouble finding this information in the AMCAS instruction manual. For summer courses, my school has Summer Session I & II. Should I just go ahead and list both courses under Summer (quarter), since AMCAS doesn't make that distinction?

Yes.

Also, would I classify the summer as part of the previous academic year or the upcoming academic year?[/QUOTE]

It will get classified for you, if I'm not mistaken. You simply put in the year, in other words, 2012 as opposed to 2011-2012 (which won't work) and the semester, and it will do the rest for you.

Hi All- Question regarding "Parent's Country of Legal Residence":

I grew up in the USA with my parents, but after I left for college, they moved out of the country. They have lived there for 4 years now. They are teachers, so they come back during the summer for 6-8 weeks, but they plan on being out of the country for the forseeable future. They may eventually retire in the USA, but that is not certain. They are both U.S. Citizens.

What do I put for my Parent's Country of Legal Residence?

I took community college courses while in high school. Should I enter these courses (along with their numbers) the way that they are on my community college transcript? Or should I enter the courses (and their respective prefix numbers) that I was given credit for at my actual university?

For example, on my community college transcript, the course is BIO-168 - Anatomy and Physiology I

But on my university's transcript, it reads (under a heading titled Transfer Credit Accepted by Institution) BIOL 2140 - Hum Phys & Anat I

1. Should I list the abbreviated class name written on the transcript or write out the full name? For example my chem lab is called 'INTR EXPERIMENTATION', should I write that or Intro to Experimentation?

2.Silly question but as the example above shows my transcript has classes listed in all caps. Does it matter if I list them in caps?

3. What category would a class such as Biochemistry fall under? Bio? Chem? Or the physical sciences category?

Last edited:
Hi, I was wondering if this

"Do you wish to be considered a disadvantaged applicant by any of your designated medical schools that may consider such factors (social, economic or educational)?"

Is where you indicate that you are an underrepresented minority in medicine. I indicated my ethnicity in Self Identification but was confused on whether this is asking you if you are URM or not.

Hey guys, I have a misdemeanor question. I have a drinking citation from April 2010 in Maryland, but I called the courthouse and they said although I can't expunge it until July 2013, the case has been close and the probation served (it was only one day). So I'm not sure if it needs to be listed based on the what the application says:

Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a Misdemeanor crime, excluding 1) any offense for which you were adjudicated as a juvenile, 2) any convictions which have been expunged or sealed by a court, or 3) any misdemeanor convictions for which any probation has been completed and the case dismissed by the court (in states where applicable)?

I've talked with a lawyer and someone who works at the courthouse and both seemed to thing the third option means I don't have to list it, what do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know to convert units from a quarter system to semester units? I can't find instructions anywhere from AMCAS.

So my transcript lists course names in shortened abbreviations. In the AMCAS manual, it says to list course names exactly as they appear on the transcript, however I am worried that some of the names won't make sense to those who are not familiar with the courses. Should I just write out the full names or write them exactly as they are on my transcript?

What do I do if I took summer classes at a university that is not my undergraduate university? On my UG transcript it doesn't give me a grade for that class, just a P/F, but on the transcript from the school I took it at, there is a grade. Do I enter the class with a grade under the school I took it at, and then enter it again with Pass/Fail when I put in coursework for my UG?

Also: I took a class that was offered in the geology department, but we spent the entire class talking about evolution. Does that count as BCPM?

edit: also, my school uses numbers to designate department, not BIOL or CHEM etc...do I just use the department # followed by course #? It woud look like this: 110 - 101, or do we have to designate them as BIOL/CHEM etc by our selves?

Last edited:
I have a question..

I graduated on Sept 2011.

So the very last quarter I had in college was summer session of 2011 (Aug-Sept)

Now on the AMCAS it wants me to put summer session as "2011-2012" instead of 2010-2011..

It makes it look like I took classes INTO year 2012..which is simply not the case..

Do I still put it as "2011-2012" instead of "2010-2011" even thought I got my degree in Sept of 2011?

Hi All- Question regarding "Parent's Country of Legal Residence":

I grew up in the USA with my parents, but after I left for college, they moved out of the country. They have lived there for 4 years now. They are teachers, so they come back during the summer for 6-8 weeks, but they plan on being out of the country for the forseeable future. They may eventually retire in the USA, but that is not certain. They are both U.S. Citizens.

What do I put for my Parent's Country of Legal Residence?

Put down the other country. That's where they live.

1. Should I list the abbreviated class name written on the transcript or write out the full name? For example my chem lab is called 'INTR EXPERIMENTATION', should I write that or Intro to Experimentation?

2.Silly question but as the example above shows my transcript has classes listed in all caps. Does it matter if I list them in caps?

3. What category would a class such as Biochemistry fall under? Bio? Chem? Or the physical sciences category?

1. Write exactly what is written on your transcript.

2. Write exactly what is written on your transcript.

3. Take your pick, but biochemistry is not a physical science. It is either biology or chemistry. What department is it in? If the department of biology, put biology. If the department of chemistry, put chemistry. If your school has a separate department of biochemistry, put either.

"Do you wish to be considered a disadvantaged applicant by any of your designated medical schools that may consider such factors (social, economic or educational)?"

Is where you indicate that you are an underrepresented minority in medicine.

No. This is where you indicate whether you have been disadvantaged socially, economically, or educationally irrespective of your race.

I indicated my ethnicity in Self Identification but was confused on whether this is asking you if you are URM or not.

This will suffice for showing that you are a part of an underrepresented race.

So my transcript lists course names in shortened abbreviations. In the AMCAS manual, it says to list course names exactly as they appear on the transcript, however I am worried that some of the names won't make sense to those who are not familiar with the courses. Should I just write out the full names or write them exactly as they are on my transcript?

Write out the names exactly as they appear on your transcript.

I have a question..

I graduated on Sept 2011.

So the very last quarter I had in college was summer session of 2011 (Aug-Sept)

Now on the AMCAS it wants me to put summer session as "2011-2012" instead of 2010-2011..

It makes it look like I took classes INTO year 2012..which is simply not the case..

Do I still put it as "2011-2012" instead of "2010-2011" even thought I got my degree in Sept of 2011?

Yes.

How do I classify a Physics I class taken during my graduate years, when I don't even have a bachelor's?

Do i include courses that I plan to take in 4th year into the course list??? Considering I have yet to choose what courses to take, I may change my mind in upcoming months.

Right now I have courses from first 3 years + grades, and 2012 summer with no grades yet.

Thank you.

Do i include courses that I plan to take in 4th year into the course list???

Right now I have courses from first 3 years + grades, and 2012 summer with no grades yet.

Thank you.

No. Only courses that you have already taken and received a grade for should be entered.

Last edited:
If an applicant is black and mexican, but self-identifies (looks) black, BUT has the most mexican name ever made. What should he put down for the race/ethnicity question?

Everyone says that you should copy and paste your PS and activities into a plain text editor before copy and pasting it into the application to avoid formatting issues.

Does anyone know if TextEdit on Mac qualifies as a plain text editor in this regard?

Everyone says that you should copy and paste your PS and activities into a plain text editor before copy and pasting it into the application to avoid formatting issues.

Does anyone know if TextEdit on Mac qualifies as a plain text editor in this regard?

Yes; just paste it in there, and then choose the "make plain text" option. Shortcut should be shift+command+T.

Never mind on this, I just got everything clarified: I'm supposed to list all things as undergraduate and "senior" year when I'm in my 4th, 5th, 6th year. I just saw my dean and that's what he said. So I'm listing it that way.

I could be wrong but https://www.aamc.org/students/apply.../how_to_enter_current-future_course_work.html

Nope. you're right. Forgetful me.

Fairly certain you can enter in courses you plan on taking.

Just to clarify again, I wuz rong.

Is applying to 30 schools too much? Anybody have any personal experience applying to this many schools? I have a FAP fee waiver and "lowish" stats, so that's why I'm considering applying to so many.

Fairly certain you can enter in courses you plan on taking.
I'm not even certain myself what courses I will take in senior year..so i still input my potential senior year courses?

I'm not even certain myself what courses I will take in senior year..so i still input my potential senior year courses?

I'm no expert but I'd guess that it only really matters for specific requirements like if a school needs biochemistry or calc. They probably don't care if you indicate horticulture but switch to rodential taxidermy. You get the gist.

I'm no expert but I'd guess that it only really matters for specific requirements like if a school needs biochemistry or calc. They probably don't care if you indicate horticulture but switch to rodential taxidermy. You get the gist.

They don't care if you take NONE of the courses you listed. It's prospective. I was surprised to find out they even allow you to list future courses, especially since they won't allow you to list future plans (even cemented job ones)

Hi,

I just have a few questions on filling out the AMCAS.

1) AP Credits. My school doesn't use the hours system but rather a credit system where 1 credit = 4 hours. Here's what they look like on my transcript.

2m7b3gi.jpg

I got 4's and 5's on all my tests, but my school will only accept a MAX of 6 AP credits. I'm just confused because they list "0.00" as Earned Credits. They don't count towards my GPA.

2) What about my PE classes? I took Yoga and Pilates, etc. They appear on my transcript, so should I input those classes in, also?

3) How does AMCAS know whether or not a class counts towards my GPA calculation? For example, my Wind Ensemble and Clarinet classes actually count toward my GPA, and aren't really "extracurricular."

4) Work activities. I'm starting research this summer. Although it hasn't officially begun, we have had lab meetings, discussions, etc. I will be working 40 hours/week for the entire summer. Do I put this on my application even though I haven't officially started? I was also recently chosen as a Peer Mentor. The position doesn't begin until July, but am I still allowed to input this on my application?

Thanks!!

Are F-1 visa holders considered legal residents of the US or of their home country?

I just have a question for people who have done this before

How much difference is there between the AMCAS GPA and your institution's one?

I have a question. I took two graduate level courses at Harvard Extension. How do I list these courses on the AMCAS application?

It seems like I would chose "graduate degree?" but I didnt receive a degree... not sure what to put down here.

Thanks,
C

I don't foresee there being a huge problem here. Call up your university and/or AMCAS and go from there. Regardless, I would think that anyone reviewing it would see that it was the same course with the same grade at the same time.

Is where you indicate that you are an underrepresented minority in medicine. I indicated my ethnicity in Self Identification but was confused on whether this is asking you if you are URM or not.

No. They know you are URM just from indicating it in the self-identification. The disadvantaged thing is specifically for economic, educational, or medically underserved.

You can discuss stuff related to being a URM in your PS if you want to, like a brief autobiography.

Hi,

I filled out the AMCAS last year but ended up not submitting it. I already sent all my transcripts last time, do I need to resubmit them this time around?

Thank you in advance!

hi i have some questions about coursework:

1) the AP coursework tutorial suggested we write "AP Credit: _____" under course name. even though my school might've named some of them differently do i still follow the format it suggested? (for example AP U.S. Gov & Politics became POL SCI UNITED STATES in my transcript, but i could just put "AP Credit: U.S. Government & Politics" right?)

2) I go to UCLA and took two classes at UCI over the summer, which transferred over with the letter grade & unit credit. do i still have to send in a separate transcript from UCI? sorry if this question's been answered before! >.<

So in high school I took a dual enrollment course with the local community college and got credit for it transferred at the University I went to after graduating from high school. I know I have to submit the transcript from both my university and community college. But the thing is when I took this course the community college was called Seminole Community College. Since then the college has been renamed Seminole State college. The transcript from my University would mention the original name but the transcript from the community college would state the new name. Is that going to be a problem for AMCAS? If so how do you guys think I should go about trying to fix this?

I have the same problem :/ hopefully nothing happens. Go Florida wooo

Your transcript from the Community College should haves some sort of note about the name change. My undergrad changed its name in the 80s and again in the 90s and both old names were listed on the back of the official transcript.