*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is that time of year again!

The AMCAS Application will be opening SOON! This is a place for all things AMCAS related so that we don't flood the first page. All threads created after this one will be merged into this thread. All previously created threads that are bumped will be re-directed here, and closed if bumped again.
Reminder: Each thread has a search function!! PLEASE use it!!.

Also, one of your first resources should be the source itself. Almost any basic question you have about AMCAS can be found by reading the AMCAS FAQ and the AMCAS instruction manual. Please try to find your answer before posting your question.
The AMCAS FAQ can be found here and the instruction manual can be found here.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

AMCAS FAQ from 2012 and updated for 2014, please let me know if there are any changes.
General Submission/Big Picture Questions

1. When does AMCAS open? How soon can I submit?
The AMCAS application opens on May 1st, 2014. You can submit on June 3rd this year.

2. When can I start uploading my transcripts to AMCAS?
As soon as the application opens, on May 1st.

3. How should I organize my information in the Work and Activities Section?
The Pre-Allo staff has created a new thread that compiles some of the best bits of information and contains a FAQ for the Work and Activities section. That thread can be found here. Please post questions regarding this section into that thread.

4. What about Letters of Rec?
Funny you should ask. There is a thread for that too.

5. What should I include in my personal statement?
Wouldn't you know....there is a thread for that too. Check out the Official Personal Statement Reader Thread for some great advice.

6. How is AMCAS different from prior years?
See these threads for more information : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804620 and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807218

7. What is all of this about being a reapplicant?
Once you have submitted an AMCAS application and are verified, you will be considered a re-applicant the following year. Even though you may not be a re-applicant at a particular school, the AMCAS application will reflect that you have "previously applied to medical school" in that you have had a verified application from a previous year. Every school you apply to will be able to see this, regardless of whether you applied to that particular school before or not.

8. What parts of the AMCAS application can I change after submitting? If I change these things, will I have to wait longer?
You can add and assign LORs (Letters of Recommendation)
You can change your name, current address, and alternate names
You can add a future MCAT test date

Several other things that can be found here on the AMCAS official site.
No, you will not have to wait longer once you re-submit.

9. How long does it take to get verified after submitting?
It varies. Generally, the later you submit, the longer it takes. You can look at last year's verification times here.

10. When do secondaries come out?
This varies from school to school. If you are interested in a particular school, your best bet is to check out that school's specific thread in the "School Specific Discussions" forum.

11. What are some important dates that I should know?

May 1
2015 AMCAS application opens
June 3
Applications may be submitted
June 27
Data transferred to medical schools

Source: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/

Transcript/Coursework Questions

12. What about transcripts in general? Tell me everything!
Once the AMCAS application opens in May, you will be given an AMCAS ID number. You are also then able to add schools (and the dates you attended those schools) into AMCAS. When you do this, you will be able to print a transcript sheet that contains your AMCAS ID number on it for each school. When you go to order your transcripts, have your school include this sheet with the transcripts to be sent.
12a. I know this was asked in question 3 above....but do I really really really have to include every transcript?
Yes, you MUST include transcripts from all colleges you have ever attended. You cannot send the transcripts yourself (as in, getting a copy into your hands, and then sending it to AMCAS); they have to come from the school directly to be considered official.
12b. Do I have to include the AMCAS sheet when sending in my transcripts? What happens if I don't?
You should really include this sheet; giving AMCAS any chance to lose your transcripts is a bad idea. However, I can tell you from personal experience that one of the 8 transcripts I had to send was done online, and I was unable to include the sheet. I gave instructions for them to write my AMCAS ID on the envelope, and it got there fine. But again....making more work for AMCAS employees or giving them an excuse to lose your stuff is never a good idea.

13. What about in-progress courses, or courses I know I am going to take over the summer? What about Pre-reqs I am taking over the summer?
There is a chance for you to list all future courses on the AMCAS application. No, you can not update these grades later in AMCAS, but you CAN update individual schools later with these grades. This is actually a perfect opportunity for you to send an Update Letter to schools telling them again how much you love them, and telling them what you've been up to.

14. I took a class at a community college while I was in high school. Do I still need to report that transcript?
Yes. If you don't, you are risking being found out and having a school revoke an acceptance.

15. My spring grades don't come out until May/June/July/Whatever. Should I wait until I get them to submit my application?
If you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on your transcript. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a LOT (they contain 3 prereqs, all As, and this is the first time you've taken a full load), wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in.

If not (they result in a minimal impact to your GPA, have only 1 prereq, and don't show anything special), go ahead and submit and plan to send updates to schools. Sending them some good grades is a good reason to contact them later if you've had a lot of silence from them. You are at a greater advantage being early than having more grades that will barely impact your GPA.
I would also suggest "rushing" transcripts whenever possible. The peace of mind is worth the extra money.
Also, keep in mind; you can submit without transcripts. The problem is that you will not be verified without them.

16. Does AMCAS begin verifying my coursework once they receive my transcripts?
No. AMCAS only verifies coursework once you submit your application. AMCAS will send you an email notifying you of the date they receive your transcript and the school that sent it, but that doesn't mean that your coursework is being verified.

17. Do I need to send in my transcript again, even if I sent it in last year?
Yes. See here https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147528/amcas_2010_faqs-6.3.html

18. Will medical schools notice that a class included a lab?
In addition to selecting the "Combined Lecture and Lab" radio button, it is recommended that you add "and Lab" to the end of the course name. The 2012 AMCAS instruction manual says this:
Quote:
If the lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, append the phrase "and Lab" to the exact course title as it appears on the official transcript. For example, if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and indicate "Yes" in response to the question, "Did this course include a lab section?" AMCAS is not responsible for any processing delays or missed deadlines resulting from incorrect listings of course names and numbers.

19. I really think that this class I took should be considered BCPM, but I think AMCAS will change my classification because of the department it was taught in. What should I do?
You can feel free to classify it to the best of your ability. Keep in mind that AMCAS says "Each course must be assigned a course classification based strictly on the primary content of the course." AMCAS may or may not reclassify the course. Once your application is verified by AMCAS, you can look at your coursework and easily tell which classes they altered by using this guide https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...hared_3.2.html
If you disagree with a change that AMCAS made, then submit an "Academic Change Request" form found on the Main Menu of your AMCAS application, but be prepared to back up your claim.

20. Help! What do I do with my AP classes?
Read through the AMCAS instruction manual, particularly page 41. For additional information on specific schools that accept AP credit, see this thread.

21. How do repeat courses average into the AMCAS application?
Both classes will need to be listed when you enter your information into AMCAS, and they will both be used when calculating your final GPA. If you want, you can this of this as "averaging" the grade, with the full amount of credit being equal to both classes together. Example: 3 units of C, class is retaken for 3 units of A. The final calculation would be 6 units of B.

22. Can I have my school send in a digital copy of my transcript? What email address do I send it to?
AMCAS has started accepting eTranscripts from some institutions that have registered with them. Consult your pre-health advisement office to see if this is available for your school. Your registrar will still need to send the eTranscript directly to AMCAS (AMCAS does not accept transcripts via email from applicants).

This FAQ is a work in progress. Please feel free to make suggestions in this thread or via PM for its contents; both questions and answers.

Special Thanks to the following for their contributions to the FAQ:
mauberley
sector9
...and CougarMD for providing the template for this thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey Ismet! Wow thanks for doing this! My question is I received AP credit for several classes but I ended up retaking those classes in college. Do you think I need to add these credits to my amcas? They show up as transfer credits for my college...

Hey Ismet! Wow thanks for doing this! My question is I received AP credit for several classes but I ended up retaking those classes in college. Do you think I need to add these credits to my amcas? They show up as transfer credits for my college...
If they are present on your official college transcript, then they should be listed on your AMCAS transcript, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything I should be doing before the application opens on May 1st? Should I be working on my personal statement and work/activities already if I'm not sure I can finish it by june 3rd otherwise? Should all of my letters of recommendation be on interfolio already? I will be getting a letter of rec from a current professor, and the semester won't end until the middle of May. If I ask for a letter of rec then, it might take a while before she finishes writing the letter of rec. I don't think I'd have it by june 3rd. would that be bad? Also, I still need to ask my research lab PI for a letter of rec, but I could do that now if I need to.

so on may 1st, the only thing that needs to be done is to upload my transcript, right? how do i do this? i have downloaded official transcripts from my university on my laptop. do i literally just upload them and i'm done??

so on may 1st, the only thing that needs to be done is to upload my transcript, right? how do i do this? i have downloaded official transcripts from my university on my laptop. do i literally just upload them and i'm done??

An official transcript must be sent directly to AMCAS; You should arrange for that to be sent usually after your spring term for a typical junior

I'm thinking of entering my coursework without spring grades and then using them as an excuse to send updates to Schools later on. Good idea/bad idea? My grades will most likely be out by may 20

Edit: just reread the faq and saw this was covered. Myb

I'm thinking of entering my coursework without spring grades and then using them as an excuse to send updates to Schools later on. Good idea/bad idea? My grades will most likely be out by may 20

Edit: just reread the faq and saw this was covered. Myb
Just be sure you have credit for enough hours to qualify for consideration. Some schools specify, for example, that you must have 90 credit hours to apply.

I have a question in regards to the timing of application being complete to receipt of secondaries, and was hoping someone can help break it down for me.

Some background on me: I am planning to take my MCAT early June, and also to submit my primary app some time the end of first / beginning of second week of June.

My MCAT scores won't be released until early July, by then, my primary app should have already been verified and I should be receiving 1 secondary from the 1 school I added on my primary app. My question is, by the time I receive my MCAT scores (assuming it's my target score), add more schools, and assign the appropriate letters to each, how long does it take for my application to be complete? And once complete, how long does it take for me to receive secondaries?

My fear is delaying the completion of my application, and being the second batch of applicants to receive secondaries.

Thanks!

Some background on me: I am planning to take my MCAT early June, and also to submit my primary app some time the end of first / beginning of second week of June.

My MCAT scores won't be released until early July, by then, my primary app should have already been verified and I should be receiving 1 secondary from the 1 school I added on my primary app.

Rule 1: Take a Breath

That assumes the 1 school you put will send you a secondary simply by the receipt of your primary application. While some schools will do that, many will not send a secondary until your primary application is complete, that is, have an MCAT score to review. Others may not send a secondary with their first batch out (yes some schools send out secondaries in priority manner) and others may not send it out unless they decide to invite you for an interview. I had students who submitted AMCAS early June, getting MCATs from July thru October and some latter.
My question is, by the time I receive my MCAT scores (assuming it's my target score), add more schools, and assign the appropriate letters to each, how long does it take for my application to be complete? And once complete, how long does it take for me to receive secondaries?

application being complete (ie MCAT submitted) and transmitted to the schools can be 2 to 6 weeks . It being reviewed by an individual schools is wholly dependent on how each school does their review. Secondaries can be variable as explained above

My fear is delaying the completion of my application, and being the second batch of applicants to receive secondaries.

As I said Rule 1: Take a Breath. Since there is nothing you can do but submit based on your MCAT exam date, worrying about it wont help.

Rule 1: Take a Breath

That assumes the 1 school you put will send you a secondary simply by the receipt of your primary application. While some schools will do that, many will not send a secondary until your primary application is complete, that is, have an MCAT score to review. Others may not send a secondary with their first batch out (yes some schools send out secondaries in priority manner) and others may not send it out unless they decide to invite you for an interview. I had students who submitted AMCAS early June, getting MCATs from July thru October and some latter.

application being complete (ie MCAT submitted) and transmitted to the schools can be 2 to 6 weeks . It being reviewed by an individual schools is wholly dependent on how each school does their review. Secondaries can be variable as explained above

As I said Rule 1: Take a Breath. Since there is nothing you can do but submit based on your MCAT exam date, worrying about it wont help.

Thanks for your comments. I should have clarified that the 1 school's receipt of secondary was after having received my MCAT score and my application being complete, but I digress.

I am not worried so much, just ambivalent, because I do have the option of extending my MCAT (it's currently mid-May), but I really don't want to delay my application from being complete... but that is a catch-22 because I shouldn't be taking the MCAT when I'm not ready.

I am not worried so much, just ambivalent, because I do have the option of extending my MCAT (it's currently mid-May), but I really don't want to delay my application from being complete... but that is a catch-22 because I shouldn't be taking the MCAT when I'm not ready.

Not a Catch-22 under risk analysis. Under performing on the MCAT due to taking it before you are ready runs the risk of large negative impact. Having your application not complete until second or third wave is minor negative impact. Even with a latter MCAT score, you will probably have some secondaries done by Sept 1 and the rest by October. Really wouldnt worry on that and instead focus on your MCAT

I would like to get my application in as early as possible, and have heard that you should send your transcript to AMCAS as soon as it opens. However, this means spring semester grades will not be on it. Should I send it in without those grades or wait an extra 3 weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
If most critical prerequisites are present (a few schools want them all done by a certain date), you don't need the GPA boost this term would give you, and the Registrar is willing to release a transcript this close to the end of a term (I've heard of some refusing), then go for it.

Just wait until spring grades are posted. There will hardly be a noticeable difference in processing time.

Process will be much simpler if you wait. And like above, will not make any real difference for your application. No worries.

Is there a link to the specific graph showing verification times? Will my AMCAS ID change as a reapplicant?

1) Last year was atypical. DAPI’s AMCAS days to transcript verification graph(2010-2012): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13158801&postcount=14

2) No.

Thanks. I couldn't remember who made the graphs.

Here's a graph including last year's times as well, courtesy of DAPI

Yy9qAlh.jpg

My application took about a week to process last year, and I submitted on the first day, about an hour after it opened. Looks like I should try to do the same thing this year, unless I want to wait a month for my app to get verified. Ughh. Good to see our AMCAS money not getting put to use.

Reactions: 3 users
It's finally open! Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

How do I entered a course I repeated?
Do I just mark both the original time I took it and the repeat as repeats or just the second one that I took and replaced the first's grade?

Last edited:
I tried using the thread search function, but I'm not sure how to word my question. I apologize profusely if someone has already asked this question.

If I took two classes, say, in Fall of 2008 but then took a semester off, do I list the school twice or list my dates of attendance as Sept 2008-May 2010? I can't find anywhere where it says how to do this. Again, sorry if this is posted somewhere and I didn't see it. I went through all the FAQ's and the entire instruction manual and didn't see it. Appreciate any guidance anyone might have.

Also, my school has two summer quarters, do I list courses I took in both summer quarters as some quarters? only other option is other term.

Got another question: If my school names all the quarters of biology as INTRO TO BIOLOGY as their course names and Course numbers BIOLSCI 002A, 2B etc would it be correct to do this?
Course number: BIOLSCI 002A
Course name: INTRO TO BIOLOGY

Course number: BIOLSCI 002B
Course name: INTRO TO BIOLOGY

etc?

I apologize if this is in the wrong area, but on the application, it asks if I want to be considered a disadvantaged applicant. In the guidelines it provides, it includes if the area I grew up in is underserved, I can be considered. My area is definitely underserved. Also my family has received some welfare benefits through the years. Given these "qualifications," should I identify as disadvantaged or will this hurt my application?

I don't want it to seem like I'm identifying as this just to gain a benefit, I've not had the easiest time, but I wasn't raised to use my upbringing as an excuse that I should be given opportunities, if that makes sense. Thanks!

I am not sure if I am considered disadvantaged. I grew up in a suburb; my parents were educated and money was never an issue, but my father fought with a mental disorder for most of his life and committed suicide when I was in middle school. Should this be included in disadvantaged, or somewhere else in my application? Or not at all?

Last edited:
Also do I mark research as lab course?

This is an interesting scenario…
I attended a state school that has satellite campuses. I took some summer course work at one of these campuses.
Do i need to put the branch campus as another school attended? Or can I just leave it go and just put the grades down?

All of these grades are on the same transcript.

I withdrew from some courses in some quarters and it shows up on my unofficial transcript but not my official one. Since they don't show up on my official one can I just omit them or will amcas have a panic attack and hold my application for a month?

Also does credited research just count as a lab course or combined lab and lecture?

I also might as well as these other questions while I'm here bc I'm not getting answers:
How do I entered a course I repeated? Do I just mark both the original time I took it and the repeat as repeats or just the second one that I took and replaced the first's grade?

Also, my school has two summer quarters, do I list courses I took in both summer quarters as some quarters? only other option is other term.

Got another question: If my school names all the quarters of biology as INTRO TO BIOLOGY as their course names and Course numbers BIOLSCI 002A, 2B etc would it be correct to do this? Course number: BIOLSCI 002A Course name: INTRO TO BIOLOGY

Course number: BIOLSCI 002B Course name: INTRO TO BIOLOGY

Etc?

Question about a course potentially being a BCMP:

I took a class called Neurolinguistics under the Linguistics department, but I FEEL like there was enough biology/neuroscience in the class to make it count as a Biology class (compared to, say, the Intro to Linguistics class I took previously which was pretty much pure linguistics). Should I just classify it as a "Biology" class and see if they change it back?

Here's the course description:
Theoretical approaches to the study of language and the brain. Perspectives on normal and impaired linguistic functioning offered by lesion studies and brain-imaging techniques. The genetic basis of language as evidenced in family and twin studies.

Thanks <3

This is an interesting scenario…
I attended a state school that has satellite campuses. I took some summer course work at one of these campuses.
Do i need to put the branch campus as another school attended? Or can I just leave it go and just put the grades down?

All of these grades are on the same transcript.

Since the AMCAS tutorials always talk about "following your official transcript", I'd say to just put it with all the other classes listed on that transcript. Someone else might have another opinion, though.

Question about a course potentially being a BCMP:

I took a class called Neurolinguistics under the Linguistics department, but I FEEL like there was enough biology/neuroscience in the class to make it count as a Biology class (compared to, say, the Intro to Linguistics class I took previously which was pretty much pure linguistics). Should I just classify it as a "Biology" class and see if they change it back?

Here's the course description:
Theoretical approaches to the study of language and the brain. Perspectives on normal and impaired linguistic functioning offered by lesion studies and brain-imaging techniques. The genetic basis of language as evidenced in family and twin studies.

Thanks <3

Worst case scenario, they reclassify it as non-BCPM. As long as you aren't egregiously misclassifying all of your courses, going with your gut on a few won't be a problem.

I withdrew from some courses in some quarters and it shows up on my unofficial transcript but not my official one. Since they don't show up on my official one can I just omit them or will amcas have a panic attack and hold my application for a month?

Also does credited research just count as a lab course or combined lab and lecture?

I also might as well as these other questions while I'm here bc I'm not getting answers:
How do I entered a course I repeated? Do I just mark both the original time I took it and the repeat as repeats or just the second one that I took and replaced the first's grade?

Got another question: If my school names all the quarters of biology as INTRO TO BIOLOGY as their course names and Course numbers BIOLSCI 002A, 2B etc would it be correct to do this? Course number: BIOLSCI 002A Course name: INTRO TO BIOLOGY

Course number: BIOLSCI 002B Course name: INTRO TO BIOLOGY

Etc?

Please read the AMCAS instruction manual. It answers pretty much any question you can think of. It can be found here: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

About the withdrawal, it says on page 46, "A course entry must be made even if the withdrawn course does not appear on the transcript."

About the course name, on page 40, "Course numbers should include all letters and numbers associated with the course, i.e., BIO 101. If a course number does not fit in the space provided, include the last eight digits rather than the first ones. Decimal points, if part of the course number on your official transcript, should be included when entering the course number."

Information about entering repeated courses and literally everything else you asked can be found in the manual. If you have read the entire manual and still cannot get a clear answer, then feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I obtained my EMT-B license at a local community college. Do I need to add this college into my application even though I only took one class there? Thanks for any feed back.

I obtained my EMT-B license at a local community college. Do I need to add this college into my application even though I only took one class there? Thanks for any feed back.

Yes. You must list every single school you took courses at.

From the AMCAS instruction manual:

"The Schools Attended section allows you to list the high school from which you graduated as well as each post-secondary institution where you were enrolled for at least one course, even if credits have been transferred or if no credits were earned."

1.) Question on course name:
AMCAS (p.40):
"Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number as they appear on the
official transcript in the designated fields. If the exact course name does not fit, enter a
logical abbreviation. This information is critical for AMCAS to verify each course on the
official transcript and for the medical school(s) to evaluate your application. "

My college has a limit on characters for the classes on transcript.
Thus fundamentals of underwater basketweaving might become: "FUND UNDW BSKT" on the transcript.

Should I spell this out to the actual course name ("Fundamentals of Underwater Basketweaving") or should I leave it as is ("FUND UNDW BASKT")?

2.) Question on Course number:
AMCAS (p.40):
"Course numbers should include all letters and numbers associated with the course, i.e.,
BIO 101. If a course number does not fit in the space provided, include the last eight
digits rather than the first ones. Decimal points, if part of the course number on your
official transcript, should be included when entering the course number."

My university uses a 5 digit course number, where the first two represents the department and the 3rd digit represent the level (freshman=1, sophomore = 2, etc), and the last two being the subspecialty (somewhat). So let's say for the forementioned class above it's in the department designation: AQU (for aquatics department) and a class number of 12345. The 12 would represent the aquatics department, 3 would be for the junior level class, 45 being the underwater exploratory part of it. In the course number should I include: "AQU 12345" or is "12345" satisfactory? The AMCAS seem to make it necessary and sufficient to state it as "AQU 345". The department code is listed in the transcript, but technically it's not part of the course number.

I apologize if the fictional classes do not add value to the thread. Thanks in advance.

. Found the answer

Last edited:
Questiona about adding 'Schools Attended'

So I attended community college, then transferred to a 4-years university. Then decided to take some classes back at the same community college.

With that, how should I add the the second time around at the same community college? Should I just do it as two separate schools, such as Community College-X Sep-2007 - June-2010, 4 years university, and the same Community College-X Sep 2012 - Jun 2014?

Also the second time around at CC, I took classes for two quarters in a row, then stop for like a year, and took some classes again. Like started Sep 2012 - March 2013, then April 2014 - June 2014. So I should just say Sep 2012 - Jun 2014 (like I'm currently taking the class and will end at June)?

Thanks

I apologize if this is in the wrong area, but on the application, it asks if I want to be considered a disadvantaged applicant. In the guidelines it provides, it includes if the area I grew up in is underserved, I can be considered. My area is definitely underserved. Also my family has received some welfare benefits through the years. Given these "qualifications," should I identify as disadvantaged or will this hurt my application?

I don't want it to seem like I'm identifying as this just to gain a benefit, I've not had the easiest time, but I wasn't raised to use my upbringing as an excuse that I should be given opportunities, if that makes sense. Thanks!

Sorry to post this again, but I was just wondering what I should do or anyone has any advice? Thanks!

Question on the Rural/ Suburban/ Urban classification for the city we grew up in... I'm from a town that is about an hour away from St. Louis. In 2010 we had 14,000 people. Do you think this should be rural or suburban?

Sorry to post this again, but I was just wondering what I should do or anyone has any advice? Thanks!

Don't think of it as an excuse. You've excelled despite your tough circumstances. It shows you have character and drive. Definitely put it down.

Question on the Rural/ Suburban/ Urban classification for the city we grew up in... I'm from a town that is about an hour away from St. Louis. In 2010 we had 14,000 people. Do you think this should be rural or suburban?

I would say suburban. I'm from a town of 2000, lol, that's rural.

Does "Natural/Physical Sciences" fall under BCPM, or is it literally only the classes you list as "Biology" "Chemistry" "Physics" and "Math"?

Status
Not open for further replies.