*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've got a quick question. My school accidentally sent my transcript without holding for spring grades a while back. So AMCAS has a transcript on file for me. My spring transcript hasn't been received yet (they were only sent out last week at some point). I'm worried that by the time my spring transcript is received, it will be way past June 3. Should I submit now, changing my spring grades to future/current and subsequently letting schools know, or wait until they get my spring one? For reference, I had an all A semester bringing my GPA up by 0.065. Thanks!

Depends...does that .065 change a tenths place in your overall GPA? If so, might help to wait. If not- its likely not worth it.
 
Hey guys!

A few questions, please let me know if I am repeating questions that have already been asked (I tried searching, but only vaguely related things came up)!

1. If I plan on receiving a double major, but my transcript doesn't list it can I put it on my application?

2. For my AP courses there is a P by all of them meaning "Pass", should I put that for the grade or are there no grade for AP's?

3. It is totally fine to put future courses, correct?

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends...does that .065 change a tenths place in your overall GPA? If so, might help to wait. If not- its likely not worth it.
Well if I round yes. From a 3.6 to a 3.65 cGPA and 3.6 to 3.67 sGPA. Is there protocol for updating schools as to my spring grades?
 
Quick question: my university is very small and as a result I have had several adjunct professors throughout the years. Two of my former professors who were adjuncts (and no longer teach at my university) are writing letters of recommendation for me. When I create a letter for them in AMCAS and enter their information- should I list the school that they are currently affiliated with or my university since that is where they taught me?
 
I feel pretty neurotic asking this. I have one course marked as "in progress" which is now complete. I got an A- and it's a 4 unit BCPM class. My GPA is quite low to begin with; 3.46 cumulative, 3.39 science. With this class, sGPA goes up to 3.41, cGPA stays at 3.46. Is this worth delaying my primary for potentially two weeks while I wait for the transcript to be received by AMCAS?
 
Last edited:
I feel pretty neurotic asking this. I have one course marked as "in progress" which is now complete. I got an A- and it's a 4 unit BCPM class. My GPA is quite low to begin with; 3.46 cumulative, 3.39 science. With this class, sGPA goes up to 3.41, cGPA stays at 3.46. Is this worth delaying my primary for potentially two weeks while I wait for the transcript to be received by AMCAS?

two weeks isnt much of a timing issue. You can wait if you prefer
 
Quick question: my university is very small and as a result I have had several adjunct professors throughout the years. Two of my former professors who were adjuncts (and no longer teach at my university) are writing letters of recommendation for me. When I create a letter for them in AMCAS and enter their information- should I list the school that they are currently affiliated with or my university since that is where they taught me?

I would lean towards having the college where they taught you
 
Last year, submitting 14 days after primaries open wouldn't have me verified well into july… is that really worth .02 on my sGPA?

Yes, but transmission of application and when adcoms start sitting down to review is far from being a speedy assembly line. There is a difference when you read a 100 apps in a day between the with the 3,3 and the 3.4. fastest app here will not be helpful to a weaker candidate
 
most semester based institutions require 120 credits to graduate. At 8 semesters that would be 15 credits a semester. At 3 credits a course that is 15. Typically sciences courses with included lab are 4 credits or else its lecture for 3 credits plus 1 credit labs. Additionally most require a minimum of 12 credit per semester to be a full time student but that would only be 96b credits after 8 semesters . Hence most take 15 credits or 5 classes a semester
Ah the difference is 3 credits a course. Most of ours are 4 credits.
 
Question about entering coursework:

On my transcript, all 3 of my physics classes appear as: "PHYSIC-LIFE SCI MAJ". When entering them in the coursework section, is it okay to write them as "Physics for Life Science Majors: Mechanics and Lab" since that's the full name on the registrar even though it won't match perfectly with the transcript? Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
on the amcas for courses i withdrew from and retook do i mark the retakes as a repeat? do I? Also what about two research courses with the same number? one i withdrew from and the other i took later. they have the same course number but are totally different research projects that i received credit for, but are marked under the same course number, do i mark those as a repeat as well?
 
Would this course description sound like it''s in a Biology category?
"Sensation and Perception. Acquisition of information about physical world through basic sensory mechanisms and perceptual processes. Perception of objects, surfaces, space, motion, and events. Connections between information, computations, and biological mechanisms in vision, audition, and other systems."

The course is listed under Psychology but was an elective for my neuroscience major, and I thought there was a good chunk of neuroscience in the class. I was thinking about submitting an Academic Change Request if it's changed to BESS during verification…
 
Last edited:
Question about entering coursework:

On my transcript, all 3 of my physics classes appear as: "PHYSIC-LIFE SCI MAJ". When entering them in the coursework section, is it okay to write them as "Physics for Life Science Majors: Mechanics and Lab" since that's the full name on the registrar even though it won't match perfectly with the transcript? Thanks.

I wrote "PHYSIC-LIFE SCI MAJ and Lab" for all three physics classes (but for course numbers I wrote PHYSICS 6A, 6B, 6C respectively), checked combined lecture and lab, and it was verified unchanged during my last application cycle. (I'm pretty sure you attend(ed) the same SoCal university as me from the transcript description...)
 
Should I list my half-siblings under the "Siblings" info?

I know this is a weird question, but I lived with 3 half-sibling and my own 3 full siblings for most of my life and consider them all the same.

Also, my PS is sort of a life story and I mention growing up with a large family...so would adding all above siblings add context?

@Catalystik 🙂
 
I wrote "PHYSIC-LIFE SCI MAJ and Lab" for all three physics classes (but for course numbers I wrote PHYSICS 6A, 6B, 6C respectively), checked combined lecture and lab, and it was verified unchanged during my last application cycle. (I'm pretty sure you attend(ed) the same SoCal university as me from the transcript description...)
Thanks! And we did attend the same school 🙂. I wish all of the science buildings were as nice as PAB...
 
Put them EXACTLY as the transcript has

AMCAS is solely verifying 1) that what you enter is what the official transcript has and b) classifying for GPA.

For those student who worry what an adcom will read from this, dont. Most adcoms will not look at specific courses on such a sheet until much later in the process.

What do I do if the course has more than the allotted characters in its title? I abbreviated "And" as "&" and removed the vowels from the last two words and got it to fit...would this be OK? It would sort of make sense to remove the letters, so that's an option, too.
 
What if a summer class will take my science gpa from a 3.45 to a 3.5? Do I wait, the final is 6/12 so with grades submitted...It will probably be the last week of June.
 
Should I list my half-siblings under the "Siblings" info?

I know this is a weird question, but I lived with 3 half-sibling and my own 3 full siblings for most of my life and consider them all the same.

Also, my PS is sort of a life story and I mention growing up with a large family...so would adding all above siblings add context?

@Catalystik 🙂
If you mostly grew up in the same household, it seems reasonable to list them.
 
So when you add schools you see the "amount due" value. This value has to be paid during primary submission right?
 
How do people put in classes. Do they obtain an official transcript from their school and then use that to put in classes into AMCAS?

Or can you use an unofficial transcript? Is there a risk that there would be a discrepancy between the two?
 
What do I do if the course has more than the allotted characters in its title? I abbreviated "And" as "&" and removed the vowels from the last two words and got it to fit...would this be OK? It would sort of make sense to remove the letters, so that's an option, too.

Yes, as AMCAS instruction states

"Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number as they appear on the
official transcript in the designated fields. If the exact course name does not fit, enter a
logical abbreviation."
 
How do people put in classes. Do they obtain an official transcript from their school and then use that to put in classes into AMCAS?

Or can you use an unofficial transcript? Is there a risk that there would be a discrepancy between the two?

You should get the official and match exactly
 
Thanks, @gonnif. Another quick question, if I started volunteering at a once a year event and continued doing so into college, should I just count my hours after high school graduation, or can I count hours for the entire time I've been doing the activity?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I list my half-siblings under the "Siblings" info?

I know this is a weird question, but I lived with 3 half-sibling and my own 3 full siblings for most of my life and consider them all the same.

Also, my PS is sort of a life story and I mention growing up with a large family...so would adding all above siblings add context?

@Catalystik 🙂

Siblings are as much a social construct as they are a biological. If you consider them your brothers and sisters and that has an impact on the reasons as to why you are considering medicine, I would count them as such. Clarify in your PS in you feel the need, though it would be less than a sentence
 
Hi guys, I'm sorry if this was answered already but I am so confused about all the information floating around about submitting the AMCAS application on the first day it opens. I've heard from some people that submitting a few days later won't really affect the verification time of your application, while I've heard from others that it is crucial to submit the first second possible. Does anyone know any facts surrounding this???

I would like this to be clarified, as well.
 
I would like this to be clarified, as well.
Hi guys, I'm sorry if this was answered already but I am so confused about all the information floating around about submitting the AMCAS application on the first day it opens. I've heard from some people that submitting a few days later won't really affect the verification time of your application, while I've heard from others that it is crucial to submit the first second possible. Does anyone know any facts surrounding this???

AMCAS verifies the applications, but doesn't send them to medical schools until late June. So as long as you are verified by late June, you will still be the first batch of applications to be seen by adcoms. That's why you don't need to submit the first second, but soon enough that you are verified by the late June date (I think it is the 27th? not sure...). I think submitting within the first week will accomplish this.
 
Hey just wondering, so if I am entering Adv placement exam- math ab for isntance and have 0.0 credit hours should I still list it? I think its cause I took BC which overwrote the calc ab original credits. Can someone shed some light on this? TL;DR Does amcas care for me to put this on even with 0.0 credit hours or should I leave it omitted?
 
Sorry if this is a repost, but a couple questions about the activities section.

How do I list my activity if it is two of the options? In my case, it is a volunteer organization and a leadership position. I have this with two of my activities, with one of my leadership positions being the president and the other being like the pledge parent of my fraternity.

How do I list multiple shadowing experiences in the same activity in regards to the contact info and dates of shadowing?

If I do not have the contact information for an activity or if there is no contact person, then what do I do?

Thanks!
Was your question ever answered?
 
Question: Is it okay to mention that I am a re-applicant in my PS or bad to draw attention to that fact?

Now as a re-applicant, I did not succeed in fulfilling my goal the first time around. However, I have
gained much during my year off and things have interestingly come full circle.
Although I did not get the results I expected, what I experienced this past year has reaffirmed my
aspirations to pursue a career medicine.

I wrote these two sentences in my PS and don't know if it's good to include or if it just draws unnecessary attention.

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question: Is it okay to mention that I am a re-applicant in my PS or bad to draw attention to that fact?




I wrote these two sentences in my PS and don't know if it's good to include or if it just draws unnecessary attention.

Thanks!
I would not do that unless you have something extremely strong to back it up, i.e., it depends on what you're going to write about your "experiences this past year."
 
What will happen if I submit my primary while a transcript is still on the way? (It's been requested and is en route to AMCAS)... they already have one transcript from this place, but I decided last minute I wanted to include the class I took this past semester, which was just added to the transcript last week.
 
@gonnif: Sorry, but I STILL don't know how to list these. My college transcript shows I have AP credit for Chemistry. BUT, I also have a separate transcript from state university that also lists Chemistry since it was a "dual enrollment" course.

Update: heard back from them. They say to include both and they decide. She said they'll probably accept the one with the grades.
 
Last edited:
What will happen if I submit my primary while a transcript is still on the way? (It's been requested and is en route to AMCAS)... they already have one transcript from this place, but I decided last minute I wanted to include the class I took this past semester, which was just added to the transcript last week.
Why submit before they have all your transcripts? You risk them finishing it before it arrives. It doesn't matter the time you submit, apparently, if you submit within about the first week anyway.
 
Why submit before they have all your transcripts? You risk them finishing it before it arrives. It doesn't matter the time you submit, apparently, if you submit within about the first week anyway.

It did actually make a difference last year. Some people that submitted after day 1 took a few weeks to get verified. Either way, it's a pretty minor GPA increase.

If they verify and then receive the new transcript, will they just toss the new one?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.