You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Are there professionals who can read through a completed application and look for grammar/course entry errors? Is there someone online I can pay to help me with this? If so, where do I find them?
There are lots but may I first suggest you try the readers here or even other SDN members, especially if it really just proofing a final draft
Then there are professors at school, maybe that english class you once took will read it for you
Then there are many sites to hookup with a freelance professional editor, probably get it done for under $50, $30 bucks (https://www.google.com/#q=freelance+proof+reading+)
Then the professional premed sites, like Mededits, which have a decent rep, but cost a alot, and you dont need them
Then there are individuals (like myself in full disclosure) that will do it but if you have ask how much, you cant afford it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you have dual enrollment college listed as attended
Yes, the community college is under colleges and listed as attended.
For entering coursework, should I enter the department number? Or just the course number? My school lists:
school number - department number - course number - section number
Reason I ask is because a lot of my intro courses are all 101.
school number - department number - course number - section number
Reason I ask is because a lot of my intro courses are all 101.
Yeah, if you add them in chunks. Every time you go back and add schools you'll be prompted to input payment info.Is it possible to split up paying for the primary plus x number of schools between multiple credit cards? Thanks!
for AMCAS it really doesnt matter. it will be up to the schools for both admission and finacial aid to determined if you are in state or out of state
if your are applying to state schools in either one of those states it might be mildly helpful
Quick question, which OOS schools change your tuition to in-state after the 1st year, if any?
Last edited:
Quick question, which OOS schools change your tuition to in-state after the 1st year, if any?
outside the realm of AMCAS process here, you should ask in a new thread
For entering coursework, should I enter the department number? Or just the course number? My school lists:
school number - department number - course number - section number
Reason I ask is because a lot of my intro courses are all 101.
Yes, as below.
(You must have missed this when you carefully read the instructions, you did read the instructions, didnt you?)
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p38)Course Number and Course Name
Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number as they appear on the official transcript in the designated fields. If the exact course name does not fit, enter a logical abbreviation. This information is critical for AMCAS to verify each course on the official transcript and for the medical school(s) to evaluate your application.
Course numbers should include all letters and numbers associated with the course, i.e., BIO 101. If a course number does not fit in the space provided, include the last eight digits. Decimal points, if part of the course number on your official transcript, should be included when entering the course number.
Yeah, if you add them in chunks. Every time you go back and add schools you'll be prompted to input payment info.
Thanks a lot for the help! Just a follow up question - is it correct to assume that my position in the verification queue wouldn't be affected if I initially submitted my application for some schools on one day and add more school a few days later before I've been verified? Also, will AMCAS let me add schools in chunks within minutes of each other or does the system make you wait a certain amount of time?
Yes, as below.
(You must have missed this when you carefully read the instructions, you did read the instructions, didnt you?)
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p38)Course Number and Course Name
Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number as they appear on the official transcript in the designated fields. If the exact course name does not fit, enter a logical abbreviation. This information is critical for AMCAS to verify each course on the official transcript and for the medical school(s) to evaluate your application.
Course numbers should include all letters and numbers associated with the course, i.e., BIO 101. If a course number does not fit in the space provided, include the last eight digits. Decimal points, if part of the course number on your official transcript, should be included when entering the course number.
Yes I read this, but I also just read to leave the section number out, which got me confused
Where did you read to leave the section number out?Yes I read this, but I also just read to leave the section number out, which got me confused
Enter it exactly as it's listed on your transcript.
The instruction manual states, "Course numbers should include all letters and numbers associated with the course, i.e., BIO 101."
When I register for classes, they appear as 15BIOL101-003 (School Code, Course Classification, Course Number, Section Number like you stated). However, on my transcripts, they just appear as 15BIOL101. Whatever your official transcript says is exactly what you should type in (so if that includes section number, also type the section number).
.
Last edited:
So I have a few extracurriculars, which I have already accrued time with (~1,300 clinical and ~200 non clinical), but will continue to pursue during the application cycle. With regards to the date range, I indicated the end date as the latest available (August 2017). However, my question has to do with the total hours input. Do we enter the total amount of hours we will have accrued at the TIME OF SUBMISSION, or at the END of the date range we entered.
For example, I will have about 1,300 hours in the ED by the time of submission, but will have about 3,800 hours by August 2017
I appreciate all the helpful feedback
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p55)Total Hours
Enter the total number of hours that you completed (or expect to complete) related to this
experience during the date range that you indicated.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Couldn't have hoped for a more direct answer. Assume I should have done a little more searching, but thank you regardless: @gonnif !https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p55)Total Hours
Enter the total number of hours that you completed (or expect to complete) related to this
experience during the date range that you indicated.
Consider using the Repeated tab to divide your dates and Total Hours into completed vs future hours.So I have a few extracurriculars, which I have already accrued time with (~1,300 clinical and ~200 non clinical), but will continue to pursue during the application cycle. With regards to the date range, I indicated the end date as the latest available (August 2017). However, my question has to do with the total hours input. Do we enter the total amount of hours we will have accrued at the TIME OF SUBMISSION, or at the END of the date range we entered.
For example, I will have about 1,300 hours in the ED by the time of submission, but will have about 3,800 hours by August 2017
I appreciate all the helpful feedback
Consider using the Repeated tab to divide your dates and Total Hours into completed vs future hours.
I second this, OP. I did this for my app.
Consider using the Repeated tab to divide your dates and Total Hours into completed vs future hours.
I'm doing it this way. I'm going to put start date through June 2016 and note the number of hours I have already completed and then June 2016 through August 2017 (or whatever) and note the hours I intend to complete up until matriculation. I figure this makes it obvious which activities I'll be continuing and doesn't leave any guesses in the adcom's minds.
It also helps that having a significant number of hours in a position already makes the impact of a significant number of future hours much more effective
Last edited:
I love this idea! Thank you to all the contributors!
@gonnifWhere did you read to leave the section number out?
Enter it exactly as it's listed on your transcript.
The instruction manual states, "Course numbers should include all letters and numbers associated with the course, i.e., BIO 101."
When I register for classes, they appear as 15BIOL101-003 (School Code, Course Classification, Course Number, Section Number like you stated). However, on my transcripts, they just appear as 15BIOL101. Whatever your official transcript says is exactly what you should type in (so if that includes section number, also type the section number).
listen at 2:40
I'm not sure if this thread is for these kinds of issues, but I have a work/activities entry that is both research and clinical volunteering. It comprises the bulk of my clinical exposure and research, so I'm a little worried that if I list it as research that it will look like I don't have much clinical experience. But if I don't list it as research, then I don't have any research. Which one should I list it as?
Thanks a lot for the help! Just a follow up question - is it correct to assume that my position in the verification queue wouldn't be affected if I initially submitted my application for some schools on one day and add more school a few days later before I've been verified? Also, will AMCAS let me add schools in chunks within minutes of each other or does the system make you wait a certain amount of time?
I dont know how the system may process these but I am much more concerned at the adhoc and haphazard way you describe for adding schools. I would presume that you have some thoughts about what schools you may want to add that doesnt change minute to minute
I'm not sure if this thread is for these kinds of issues, but I have a work/activities entry that is both research and clinical volunteering. It comprises the bulk of my clinical exposure and research, so I'm a little worried that if I list it as research that it will look like I don't have much clinical experience. But if I don't list it as research, then I don't have any research. Which one should I list it as?
There is an activities thread but I am sure the Wise Cat @Catalystik will answer. May sure to leave some catnip after.
There is an activities thread but I am sure the Wise Cat @Catalystik will answer. May sure to leave some catnip after.
Thanks. I think I thought that was the thread I was posting in, but I wasn't paying close enough attention. So many posts have the *~*~*~*Official 2016-2017 etc. etc. *~*~*~* format.
Here is a post in the AMCAS Work/Activities Tips thread from which I think you can extrapolate your situation. If not, feel free to ask further in that thread: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...hread-2016-2017.1189311/page-14#post-17797002I'm not sure if this thread is for these kinds of issues, but I have a work/activities entry that is both research and clinical volunteering. It comprises the bulk of my clinical exposure and research, so I'm a little worried that if I list it as research that it will look like I don't have much clinical experience. But if I don't list it as research, then I don't have any research. Which one should I list it as?
Warm-from-the-oven e-cookies prefered.There is an activities thread but I am sure the Wise Cat @Catalystik will answer. May sure to leave some catnip after.
😀
I dont know how the system may process these but I am much more concerned at the adhoc and haphazard way you describe for adding schools. I would presume that you have some thoughts about what schools you may want to add that doesnt change minute to minute
Thanks for the reply - lol no my school list is not changing minute to minute. My original question was regarding whether I could split up an already made list of schools among multiple cards, and @saltypug said I would be prompted for payment info every time I added new schools, so it sounds like I could split up my list into smaller chunks. I was asking if anyone knew if the system had a limit on how many times I could add more schools (from an already made list that I split up for payment purposes) in a given time span.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!
I attended my state school for summer classes two summers in a row. When I'm filling out the schools attended section would I fill out the dates attended: June 2014-July 2015 or June 2014- July 2014 and then create a separate entry for June 2015- July 2015?? It's confusing because separating the dates gives me two separate transcript IDs...
Thanks!
I attended my state school for summer classes two summers in a row. When I'm filling out the schools attended section would I fill out the dates attended: June 2014-July 2015 or June 2014- July 2014 and then create a separate entry for June 2015- July 2015?? It's confusing because separating the dates gives me two separate transcript IDs...
Thanks!
Hi!
I attended my state school for summer classes two summers in a row. When I'm filling out the schools attended section would I fill out the dates attended: June 2014-July 2015 or June 2014- July 2014 and then create a separate entry for June 2015- July 2015?? It's confusing because separating the dates gives me two separate transcript IDs...
Thanks!
One transcript, one ID, one date
How do we enter future hours and start date? It won't let me enter future hours in the 2nd start date since the date cannot be later than today's date
Institutional Action question:
Freshman year, in the dorms, friend comes over and smells like weed. we leave. cops were called. I met with the conduct coordinator and I say "yup, I had a friend over and he smelled like weed. that's probably what prompted the call" and so I got a "Formal Warning" and "Name on File".
What's the best way for me to disclose this other than dates of the incident?
Freshman year, in the dorms, friend comes over and smells like weed. we leave. cops were called. I met with the conduct coordinator and I say "yup, I had a friend over and he smelled like weed. that's probably what prompted the call" and so I got a "Formal Warning" and "Name on File".
What's the best way for me to disclose this other than dates of the incident?
Last edited:
Is this not an ongoing activity (which the above strategy is designed for)? When did you want to second date range to begin?How do we enter future hours and start date? It won't let me enter future hours in the 2nd start date since the date cannot be later than today's date
Hi everyone, just have a few questions about the AMCAS. I've checked the FAQ AMCAS thread and still couldn't find clear answers for my questions, so here they are:
1) When can I submit AMCAS? June 7, but can I do it at midnight, or does it officially accept applications at the start of the business day (so June 7, 2016 9am)?
2) I have a MCAT score already, but I'm retaking my exam in July. I've indicated this on my AMCAS. Now I'm aware my AMCAS will be verified, but my questions is really about schools/secondaries. Say I finish my MCAT in early July, my score comes early August. Do I need to have assigned my AMCAS to all the schools I wish to apply to already (as in during the verification process) or can I wait to see my score in August and then assign it to the schools? I was told I need to really assign my AMCAS to one school for the verification to go through.
3) If I do have to assign my AMCAS to all schools, will they see my old score and just review me? OR will they wait for my new score?
Thanks for all the help in advance folks!
1) When can I submit AMCAS? June 7, but can I do it at midnight, or does it officially accept applications at the start of the business day (so June 7, 2016 9am)?
2) I have a MCAT score already, but I'm retaking my exam in July. I've indicated this on my AMCAS. Now I'm aware my AMCAS will be verified, but my questions is really about schools/secondaries. Say I finish my MCAT in early July, my score comes early August. Do I need to have assigned my AMCAS to all the schools I wish to apply to already (as in during the verification process) or can I wait to see my score in August and then assign it to the schools? I was told I need to really assign my AMCAS to one school for the verification to go through.
3) If I do have to assign my AMCAS to all schools, will they see my old score and just review me? OR will they wait for my new score?
Thanks for all the help in advance folks!
1) They don't release the exact time but it'll likely be around the start of business hours (8-9ish EST).
2) No, you can wait to assign schools until your scores are in. It only takes a day or so for schools to receive your primary once it's been verified.
3) Ideally, they're supposed to wait until your new score comes in, but they're not necessarily obligated to. I would imagine that if your application is otherwise compelling they'd hold onto it until the score is in.
2) No, you can wait to assign schools until your scores are in. It only takes a day or so for schools to receive your primary once it's been verified.
3) Ideally, they're supposed to wait until your new score comes in, but they're not necessarily obligated to. I would imagine that if your application is otherwise compelling they'd hold onto it until the score is in.
1) They don't release the exact time but it'll likely be around the start of business hours (8-9ish EST).
2) No, you can wait to assign schools until your scores are in. It only takes a day or so for schools to receive your primary once it's been verified.
3) Ideally, they're supposed to wait until your new score comes in, but they're not necessarily obligated to. I would imagine that if your application is otherwise compelling they'd hold onto it until the score is in.
Just to add to the 'Jelly, they usually do not open AMCAS until 9:30am when staff is in hand to handle any issues.
As for MCAT score, schools have thousands of applications to review, so if your are complete with an MCAT score, some schools are going to review with that result. If you wait to assign schools, you application will be at the bottom of the pile. Which risk do you want?
1. For my personal statement, I am using a part of a paragraph from my college personal statement into my medical school app and people have said it fits really well. Is there any way adcoms would know or even care about that?
2. I'm applying as a junior but apps open before this quarter is over. As long as I finished all my primary required classes before this quarter and those grades are out, is it OK for me to apply?
Thanks!
2. I'm applying as a junior but apps open before this quarter is over. As long as I finished all my primary required classes before this quarter and those grades are out, is it OK for me to apply?
Thanks!
1. For my personal statement, I am using a part of a paragraph from my college personal statement into my medical school app and people have said it fits really well. Is there any way adcoms would know or even care about that?
2. I'm applying as a junior but apps open before this quarter is over. As long as I finished all my primary required classes before this quarter and those grades are out, is it OK for me to apply?
Thanks!
1) No.
2) Do you have at least 90 credits? Many schools will require one to have at least 90 credits before applying. You might as well wait. Texas schools don't allow one to submit until they have completed their spring classes.
Probably a silly question but have I screwed myself by just now starting my application? I just put in my transcript requests and have requested some but not all of my LoRs and I also can't really figure out how Interfolio works. There's no possible way that it'll be ready to verify let alone submit by the 7th. How bad did I damage my application by doing this? Also, if I have a paper that's been submitted and I'm to hear if it was accepted, should I wait a week or three so I can put it on my application or just go ahead and submit without it?
1) No.
2) Do you have at least 90 credits? Many schools will require one to have at least 90 credits before applying. You might as well wait. Texas schools don't allow one to submit until they have completed their spring classes.
1. Thanks!
2. I believe so? I'm on the quarter system so I don't know if it works differently but this is what it says for me:
TOTAL UNITS COMPLETED: 165.00 (200.00 projected)
I would be cautious if you are applying to the same school that you are attending for undergrad. My fiance has a coworker whose PHARMCAS app was entirely rejected and discarded for the last cycle after they found he reused part of his personal statement from undergraduate. I'm not sure if he can apply again. It's kind of like academic misconduct--you can't use papers or lab reports you've completed for a past course if you're retaking it.
Surely, you've grown and learned more since senior year of high school. Can you paraphrase the portion you like or think about how it applies to a more recent event in your life?
Surely, you've grown and learned more since senior year of high school. Can you paraphrase the portion you like or think about how it applies to a more recent event in your life?
Last edited:
Yes it is. I wanted the second start date to begin in September so that would be my future hours. But it wouldn't let me enter any date later than today for the 2nd start date.Is this not an ongoing activity (which the above strategy is designed for)? When did you want to second date range to begin?
Not silly at all. Starting the process without having a good knowledge of it is amazingly common for the supposed best and brightestProbably a silly question but have I screwed myself by just now starting my application?
Good, double check you have done them correctlyI just put in my transcript requests
I will add some links at the bottom for you to study and understand it. Your letters are not due with your application so you are fineand have requested some but not all of my LoRs and I also can't really figure out how Interfolio works
The 7th is the START. You have time. A couple of weeks wont be an issue. Frankly by mid July is still fine.There's no possible way that it'll be ready to verify let alone submit by the 7th.
I dont think you have a problem other than typical premed neurosisHow bad did I damage my application by doing this?
Also, if I have a paper that's been submitted and I'm to hear if it was accepted,
should I wait a week or three so I can put it on my application or just go ahead and submit without it?
You can wait a few weeks, but you can always just mention it under the research EC it is based on[/QUOTE]
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/54/3c/543c5531-29ce-4049-b278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
See page 60 for interfolio
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/section-6-letters-evaluation/ (look thru FAQ)
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would be cautious if you are applying to the same school that you are attending for undergrad. My fiance has a coworker whose PHARMCAS app was entirely rejected and discarded for the last cycle after they found he reused part of his personal statement from undergraduate. I'm not sure if he can apply again. It's kind of like academic misconduct--you can't use papers or lab reports you've completed for a past course if you're really retaking it.
Surely, you've grown and learned more since senior year of high school. Can you paraphrase the portion you like or think about how it applies to a more recent event in your life?
It's more about my background is why. Thanks for the notice though, I'll definitely be more cautious and reword it into better terms.
1. For my personal statement, I am using a part of a paragraph from my college personal statement into my medical school app and people have said it fits really well. Is there any way adcoms would know or even care about that?
2. I'm applying as a junior but apps open before this quarter is over. As long as I finished all my primary required classes before this quarter and those grades are out, is it OK for me to apply?
Thanks!
1. No.
2. Yes. (Grade reports don't necessarily have to be in the second that AMCAS is submitted.)
quarter x 2/3 = semester credits, you have 11o, so you are fine to submit. BTW, you dont have all the prereqs done to apply
While you can submit without spring quarter, I prefer to see them. Both TMDSAS and ACCOMAS require then
While that is true, your application sits dormant. You are not put into the verification queue until both Primary and All Transcripts are rec'd. Submitting early without them does not, repeat, does not save you a place in line.
While you can submit without spring quarter, I prefer to see them. Both TMDSAS and ACCOMAS require then
2. Yes. (Grade reports don't necessarily have to be in the second that AMCAS is submitted.)
While that is true, your application sits dormant. You are not put into the verification queue until both Primary and All Transcripts are rec'd. Submitting early without them does not, repeat, does not save you a place in line.
quarter x 2/3 = semester credits, you have 11o, so you are fine to submit. BTW, you dont have all the prereqs done to apply
While you can submit without spring quarter, I prefer to see them. Both TMDSAS and ACCOMAS require then
While that is true, your application sits dormant. You are not put into the verification queue until both Primary and All Transcripts are rec'd. Submitting early without them does not, repeat, does not save you a place in line.
Spring quarter grades typically don't take longer than June or July. If that's the case, definitely falls within the timeline of apps. An application in mid july is no big tragedy, though this generation of med students seems so adamant to submit everything on day 1.
Spring quarter grades typically don't take longer than June or July. If that's the case, definitely falls within the timeline of apps. An application in mid july is no big tragedy, though this generation of med students seems so adamant to submit everything on day 1.
There could be a premed tee shirt saying "Day 1 or Die"
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 98
- Views
- 26K
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K