*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is not correct. When AMCAS receives both an application and all transcripts it begins processing (ie enter verification queue). In doing so, it opens a file with your AMCAS ID and "alerts" all schools that you have applied to from this person at this contact info now has an opened file. Some schools will at that point, prior to verification and prior to application transmission, will start sending secondaries. Therefore, you could get, complete, and submit a secondary prior to your primary ever being transmitted to the school. However, secondaries timelines can vary widely as to when to they are sent out from almost immediately upon submissions to 3 months, though most are in the range 1-3 weeks after transmission.

Really? that's pretty cool. Why don't more schools take advantage of that? It would move timelines forward and give them more time to review secondaries.
 
I have already submitted my transcripts for all of my institutions attended but have not submitted my ACMAS application. Can I send an updated transcript after certain grades have posted and have AMCAS utilize those? It will be a good GPA boost and only about 1-2 weeks after AMCAS is due.

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why would you send your transcripts in while waiting for final grades? AMCAS should (I say should) use the most recent transcript sent if they arrive prior to processing. That is, you need to have the new transcripts there BEFORE your AMCAS is submitted . If your AMCAS is submitted first, they will use the original transcripts and will likely not use the new ones
Unfortunately some things did not turn out as planned and I will not be submitting my applications as early as I thought. Thanks for your feedback.
 
Hello,

I am a Canadian with a question on the AMCAS process. I am currently waitlisted at a Canadian school and am considering applying an AMCAS application.

I have a 3.8 gPa (depending on conversion, with 4.0 over last 2.5 years) and scored 512 on my MCAT last summer.

I am wondering if I apply to US schools in early June with my 512, will they review my application and send me secondaries if I decide to re-write the MCAT later this summer (as I most likely will need to for Canadian schools), or will they not review my application until the scores for my summer MCAT are available, thus making my application complete to late in the year to be competitive as a Canadian applicant.

Thanks!
 
The answer is yes.

Some schools will screen and review you with the existing score, some will not

Thanks for the reply,

Is there information available on the MSAR or any other source that will provide schools that will review my application with the existing score? Or will I need to contact the schools directly to inquire about there individual policies?
 
I've combined my shadowing into one entry for work/activities. Considering I have other, far more meaningful clinical experience, would it be worth giving the ADCOM more than just a list of who I shadowed with and for how long? i.e. should I add something of what I learned from shadowing? Also, for a one-off shadowing experience that constitutes maybe 10% of the total hours, would it matter if I forget to mention that the physician was a resident?
 
Last edited:
Also, a LOR question: would two professors, a research mentor, and two clinical work supervisors be sufficient? I'm a couple years removed from undergrad.
 
2 science profs and 1 non science are all you need. Beyond that it’s up to you’re own discretion

Many schools don't explicitly require a non-science, which is good for me since my science-heavy curriculum didn't give much opportunity to build non-science relationships. Is non-science still an unwritten requirement, or can I get by without one?
 
Many schools don't explicitly require a non-science, which is good for me since my science-heavy curriculum didn't give much opportunity to build non-science relationships. Is non-science still an unwritten requirement, or can I get by without one?

There is no such thing as an unwritten requirement. If all of the schools you are applying to do not require one, then it's not an issue. I mentioned it because many schools do require a non-science letter so a generic application will have letters that work for all types of schools.
 
Hello all,
Quick question for Childhood info under Biographic info. I lived in a rural area in India from Birth to age 9, then in suburban from age 9 to 13. Then I and lived in a suburban area (US) from 13 to 18. Would it be wrong to list the first rural area since the questions asks "In what area did you spend the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen?"
 
Maybe no one has had this problem- don't even know if it is a problem. Coursework entered has to match transcript. I am entering it in order exactly as on transcript. When I save, it saves the courses in a different order from the order in which i have entered them. Still same year and same semester it just jumps a class up on the list. Is this an issue?Thanksssss
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe no one has had this problem- don't even know if it is a problem. Coursework entered has to match transcript. I am entering it in order exactly as on transcript. When I save, it saves the courses in a different order from the order in which i have entered them. Still same year and same semester it just jumps a class up on the list. Is this an issue?Thanksssss
I have the same thing happening to me. I wouldn't worry about since each course is still true to your transcript.
 
Hello all,
Quick question for Childhood info under Biographic info. I lived in a rural area in India from Birth to age 9, then in suburban from age 9 to 13. Then I and lived in a suburban area (US) from 13 to 18. Would it be wrong to list the first rural area since the questions asks "In what area did you spend the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen?"
I have the same thing happening to me. I wouldn't worry about since each course is still true to your transcript.
Thanks- just don't want a kick back of application for smtg that isn't in my control. Have deleted and re-entered coursework a few times to fix it- it just does it again. Thanks and good luck.
 
Hello all,
Quick question for Childhood info under Biographic info. I lived in a rural area in India from Birth to age 9, then in suburban from age 9 to 13. Then I and lived in a suburban area (US) from 13 to 18. Would it be wrong to list the first rural area since the questions asks "In what area did you spend the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen?"
I have the same type of situation. Birth country then to US then back to birth country then back to US again. It says majority so all I know to do is indicate where I lived more years. So if that's where the majority of your time was, logically that is what you should do. Anyone else have advice for us on this?
 
I have the same type of situation. Birth country then to US then back to birth country then back to US again. It says majority so all I know to do is indicate where I lived more years. So if that's where the majority of your time was, logically that is what you should do. Anyone else have advice for us on this?
I'm leaning more towards Rural India because birth to 13 I was in India so I have to select India first. Then it asks me the city and in India, most of my time was in rural India. See if you can do the same: narrow down to country first then the city. I'll wait on other input though
 
Many schools don't explicitly require a non-science, which is good for me since my science-heavy curriculum didn't give much opportunity to build non-science relationships. Is non-science still an unwritten requirement, or can I get by without one?
I'm leaning more towards Rural India because birth to 13 I was in India so I have to select India first. Then it asks me the city and in India, most of my time was in rural India. See if you can do the same: narrow down to country first then the city. I'll wait on other input though
Yes, makes sense and answers their question. Hopefully someone with more experience on this will respond. Thanks
 
I will have to disagree slightly with @Lucca . While there isnt an unwritten requirement, there can be typical expectations by adcoms. Since most applicants in or just past college, and many of these will follow the ROT of 2 science/1 non science, adcoms will see mostly this set of letters from applicants. So while it is by no means a requirement, you have to think about what the rest of applicant pool is going to be like.

BTW, research is like this. Most schools have no explicit research requirement yet 85% of applicants have it, many with PI letters
Any recommendations for an applicant a few years removed from undergrad lacking such a letter? The rest of my application is quite strong, this is the last hiccup I've yet to smooth over for reapplication.
 
Just posting this question here instead of the Rec Letters thread:

I probably won't be able to get my school's committee letter until mid to late August (due to scheduling of the committee interview). My plan is to submit individual rec letters to AMCAS so that I can have my application reviewed ASAP, as soon as my secondaries are submitted during month of July. Then after my committee letter is complete in late August, submit the committee letter packet to AMCAS. Is this a bad idea? I just hate the idea of waiting until late August (potentially...if their July/August interview dates are full, it could get pushed to September) to have my applications complete.
 
Just posting this question here instead of the Rec Letters thread:

I probably won't be able to get my school's committee letter until mid to late August (due to scheduling of the committee interview). My plan is to submit individual rec letters to AMCAS so that I can have my application reviewed ASAP, as soon as my secondaries are submitted during month of July. Then after my committee letter is complete in late August, submit the committee letter packet to AMCAS. Is this a bad idea? I just hate the idea of waiting until late August (potentially...if their July/August interview dates are full, it could get pushed to September) to have my applications complete.

I'm not certain here, but I think if you do this your application will be marked completed with the individual letters, and the committee letter would be "supplemental". You'd have to explain why you don't have a committee letter on all your secondaries, and I think it would annoy adcoms to make more work for them by overloading them with letters. It may be better to verify without your letters, get those secondaries in, and then your committee letter can be transferred immediately in August. Still pretty early.

Edit: In response to your last bit, most interview invitations start being sent out in August, and most interviews don't start until September.
 
I've combined my shadowing into one entry for work/activities. Considering I have other, far more meaningful clinical experience, would it be worth giving the ADCOM more than just a list of who I shadowed with and for how long? i.e. should I add something of what I learned from shadowing? Also, for a one-off shadowing experience that constitutes maybe 10% of the total hours, would it matter if I forget to mention that the physician was a resident?

It seems my other question may have been overlooked. Would anyone care to comment?
 
I combined all my shaodwing into one activity. Talked more about my experiences than listing physician names. I didn't think it would be that useful.
What did you discuss regarding your experiences? How the practice of certain physicians resonated with your career goals and personality?

Since shadowing was such a passive activity, it's a bit difficult to draw very meaningful conclusions beyond "yeah, I could see doing this for 40 years"
 
What did you discuss regarding your experiences? How the practice of certain physicians resonated with your career goals and personality?

Since shadowing was such a passive activity, it's a bit difficult to draw very meaningful conclusions beyond "yeah, I could see doing this for 40 years"

I shaodwed multiple different specialties and types of environments (OR, clinic, etc) so I talked about what I learned and how that led me towards or away from certain types of medicine.
 
I'm not certain here, but I think if you do this your application will be marked completed with the individual letters, and the committee letter would be "supplemental". You'd have to explain why you don't have a committee letter on all your secondaries, and I think it would annoy adcoms to make more work for them by overloading them with letters. It may be better to verify without your letters, get those secondaries in, and then your committee letter can be transferred immediately in August. Still pretty early.

Edit: In response to your last bit, most interview invitations start being sent out in August, and most interviews don't start until September.

Thanks for the input. I was actually planning on doing this on the advice of a doc I talked to who works with admissions at the local med school. He stressed the importance of being early, and said the committee letter isn't that important (compared to getting your application complete early). I guess I have the option of doing this for just his med school, and waiting to submit the committee letter to others later on...
 
Hi, I had a question about inputting courses. I took summer classes during Summer 2017 at my institution, and received my Bachelor's Degree Aug 2017. Should i still classify these courses as "Post-Bacc Undergraduate" or "Senior"?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,
Quick question for Childhood info under Biographic info. I lived in a rural area in India from Birth to age 9, then in suburban from age 9 to 13. Then I and lived in a suburban area (US) from 13 to 18. Would it be wrong to list the first rural area since the questions asks "In what area did you spend the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen?"
Any input on this? I was told @gonnif could answer this in a different thread
 
You took classes at the beginning of the summer of 2017
You received a degree at the end of summer 2017
You took these classes before your graduated, therefore they arent PB
They are senior

Thank you for your reply! I was just a bit confused because I have found through perusing SDN that course classification for summer classes passes on to the following academic year. For example: my freshman year was 2013-14 and if I took a summer class after freshman year/before sophomore year, This is apparently classified as "Summer semester, Sophomore year, 2014-15."
If I took a summer class following my senior year spring, then by this rule wouldn't my summer course pass on to the following academic year? sorry about the confusion.
 
Yes, it would be the next academic year but
1) you are graduating that same academic year
2) any additional work (5th year UG) is lumped with senior
3) HOW CAN ANYTHING BE POSTBACC IF YOU HAVENT GOTTEN A DEGREE?

Got it! Thank you for the clarification
 
Just wanted to clarify something to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding.

My primary application is pretty much ready so I want to submit on day 1. There are a couple of schools I'm still a little uncertain of though. So if I just pick the ones I for sure want to apply to I can always add schools up until June 29th and they'd still get my app within the first wave? Or am I missing something?
 
Just wanted to clarify something to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding.

My primary application is pretty much ready so I want to submit on day 1. There are a couple of schools I'm still a little uncertain of though. So if I just pick the ones I for sure want to apply to I can always add schools up until June 29th and they'd still get my app within the first wave? Or am I missing something?

That sounds correct to me.
 
Hey All, quick question about a shadowing experience I had that is hard to fit. I have plenty of separate hours shadowing physicians, but did 37 hours shadowing a Nurse Practitioner in 2016.

My reason for wanting to list this: 1) I wanted to check before going through with all the training an MD required, I wouldn't be just as happy as a PA or NP. Was a very helpful gut-check experience. 2) The shadowing was in an LGBT clinic doing HIV prevention work I care a lot about (not a free clinic), and helping enroll folks in a new prevention clinical trial. NP would help recruit and then refer upstairs to the doctor (I realized I want to be the doctor!)

My question is, how should I list this?

It's not physician shadowing and I think Adcoms would prefer I list this experience separate from my true physician shadowing. It's not clinical volunteering, though it was volunteer and I did do some volunteer type duties like helping organize and file and transport blood specimens.

My gut says list this as shadowing in a separate entry, but make very clear in line 1 it was with an NP, and be open about the fact that the process, while valuable for the HIV medicine exposure, helped me realize I wanted to be a doctor?

Help! and thanks 🙂
 
Hey All, quick question about a shadowing experience I had that is hard to fit. I have plenty of separate hours shadowing physicians, but did 37 hours shadowing a Nurse Practitioner in 2016.

My reason for wanting to list this: 1) I wanted to check before going through with all the training an MD required, I wouldn't be just as happy as a PA or NP. Was a very helpful gut-check experience. 2) The shadowing was in an LGBT clinic doing HIV prevention work I care a lot about (not a free clinic), and helping enroll folks in a new prevention clinical trial. NP would help recruit and then refer upstairs to the doctor (I realized I want to be the doctor!)

My question is, how should I list this?

It's not physician shadowing and I think Adcoms would prefer I list this experience separate from my true physician shadowing. It's not clinical volunteering, though it was volunteer and I did do some volunteer type duties like helping organize and file and transport blood specimens.

My gut says list this as shadowing in a separate entry, but make very clear in line 1 it was with an NP, and be open about the fact that the process, while valuable for the HIV medicine exposure, helped me realize I wanted to be a doctor?

Help! and thanks 🙂

Sounds like something to talk about in your personal statement instead.
 
Sounds like something to talk about in your personal statement instead.

interesting idea, but I think adcoms would prefer I not mention much about an NP in my medical school statement. I'm just trying to find a way to count the clinical hours that I got face-to-face with patients.
 
I studied abroad for a quarter with my state school's department earning my state school course credits.
In the "Schools Attended" section under Colleges do I mark "study abroad program" on my state school because of my 3 departmental courses from study abroad? How do I also indicate the course was earned through study abroad program on my "course works"?
Can I mark my credit/no credit courses as "pass/fail" even thought my transcript says credit?
Thank you!
 
I studied abroad for a quarter with my state school's department earning my state school course credits.
In the "Schools Attended" section under Colleges do I mark "study abroad program" on my state school because of my 3 departmental courses from study abroad? How do I also indicate the course was earned through study abroad program on my "course works"?
Can I mark my credit/no credit courses as "pass/fail" even thought my transcript says credit?
Thank you!

I did basically the same thing. I had to enter my school twice, once as a home location and once as a study abroad location. Then put in the grade marked on your home transcript, and marked the study abroad location as "Transcript exempt", since a transcript won't exist. The grades will be pulled from your home transcript.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If future undergrad courses are not listed on the official transcript my undergrad institution provides, would it still be fine if I include them in the Coursework section on AMCAS? I know that you aren’t required to write down future courses, but would it be fine if I did in this scenario?
 
A question regarding transcript timing. My school and AMCAS have been terrible handling my transcripts. Is there any point in submitting AMCAS before they are marked "received?" If not, then I'd have a couple extra days to work on the essays.
 
Can I look at my application (i.e., read the essays that I wrote, check the designations that I put for classes, etc.) after I submit? I understand that I cannot edit it, but is the actual content of the application blocked from my viewing?

How does submitting letters after submitting your application work exactly? Do I just log back in and click the Letters of Evaluation tab, and then make my designation? My school does a committee letter, so I'm not worried about this, just curious to know how it will all work.

Thanks so much to gonnif and others for answering questions!