*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

Started by sector9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If applying to research-intensive schools, does it make sense to put two of my research experiences as "most meaningful," or should I try to balance that out with, say, a community outreach project, hobby, or clinical experience?
When choosing "Most Meaningful" you can a) decide strategically, trying to guess what will make adcomms happy and being wrong half the time, b) decide on a practical basis, because you need more space, or c) decide from the heart, based on what really mattered most to you. MD/PhD programs might prefer a one-trick pony, but IMO I doubt the MD-only programs would, research-oriented or no. You decide, as I don't have insight into every adcomm's mind.
 
Thanks so much..that's very helpful. I guess I'll just do the Shadowing in the title as you recommended. As far as a national journal publication, I do have one, but I think I have to group it in with the Research entry. And I do want to apply to some service-oriented schools, but I think I'm stuck grouping all the volunteer activities together. Is it safe to assume most schools will read through all the text though? Or for something like research should I make the title something like Lab Research/Presentations/Publications?

Also, for the paid hospital experiences, it was to help with coordinating clinical research studies. Should I list this as paid employment still, or research? Wasn't sure if the research category is ore appropriate for benchwork research.

Finally, is it necessary to list hobbies? I'm just not entirely sure it's worth taking up a whole entry.

Thanks!
 
Hi everyone,

Last summer, I volunteered at an assisted living community. They do not have records of my volunteering there, and the person I worked with is no longer working there (I was able to get the person's first and last names, however).

How would I go about fixing this situation? Do medical schools absolutely need records? Should I provide some other sort of contact information for this person (i.e. another phone number)?

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this may be a simple/silly question...but can you use abbreviations under the description? (such as FL for florida). 700 characters is not enough... -.-
 
For the past four years of college (also HS), I have been helping my mom clean offices at night, Mon-Fri. This was not paid work for me, it was her job and I was there to help her finish her work quicker so that she could come home after dreadful 12hr+ work day. Between this and nearly a 4hr round-trip commute to and from the university, there wasn’t much time to be involved in clubs, school events, etc. Should I list the fact that I’ve been helping my mom clean offices during weekdays on my application? If so, where should I list this? Volunteer, work, hobbies?


Thank you.
 
1) Is it safe to assume most schools will read through all the text though? Or for something like research should I make the title something like Lab Research/Presentations/Publications?

2) Also, for the paid hospital experiences, it was to help with coordinating clinical research studies. Should I list this as paid employment still, or research? Wasn't sure if the research category is ore appropriate for benchwork research.

3) Finally, is it necessary to list hobbies? I'm just not entirely sure it's worth taking up a whole entry.

Thanks!
1) Adding the words Presentation & Publications to the title seems like a good precaution.

2) Use Research, with the title making clear you worked directly with patients, and the description including the employment aspect.

3) It isn't required, and if you feel it doesn't help you stand out in any way, you can choose not to have one if space is short. But even if your hobbies are as mundane as reading, exercise, and cooking, it still shows that you have stress-relieving leisuretime activities, which many adcomms feel is important. And including your favorite genre, a book you read most recently, recipes you excel at, a half-marathon you participated in, can make you interesting and provide conversation starters. So if you can fit it in, do so.
 
I have a question about listing dates for hobbies?

If I played intramural sports in college only, but played an instrument before college, should I just list the dates of participation for both hobbies as the years I attended college? Or should I list the date starting from the earliest hobby, piano, which would be in elementary school? Thanks
 
For the past four years of college (also HS), I have been helping my mom clean offices at night, Mon-Fri. This was not paid work for me, it was her job and I was there to help her finish her work quicker so that she could come home after dreadful 12hr+ work day. Between this and nearly a 4hr round-trip commute to and from the university, there wasn’t much time to be involved in clubs, school events, etc. Should I list the fact that I’ve been helping my mom clean offices during weekdays on my application? If so, where should I list this? Volunteer, work, hobbies?
I would list it as Employment, as you were helping in a family business endeavor (similar to working at a family restaurant) and receiving benefits in exchange, like a place to live as well as maybe food and/or tuition assistance. You want adcomms to know what kept you so busy that you coudn't engage in typical ECs.
 
All you need is the first and last names of the person. If you have their number put that. These are references, just to reaffirm your volunteering hours. I'm not sure how often medical schools will actually call them, though.
 
If I played intramural sports in college only, but played an instrument before college, should I just list the dates of participation for both hobbies as the years I attended college? Or should I list the date starting from the earliest hobby, piano, which would be in elementary school? Thanks
Pick the dates for one hobby to list in the header, and put those for the second in the narrative about that activity. Some choose to list only the college dates of involvement for the header and then mention involvement in earlier years in the description, but others list dates from early childhood. It's your choice.
 
Do I have to list a separate contact for every award/honor I list? Or, who should I list for my awards/honors?
 
Hi everyone,

Last summer, I volunteered at an assisted living community. They do not have records of my volunteering there, and the person I worked with is no longer working there (I was able to get the person's first and last names, however).

How would I go about fixing this situation? Do medical schools absolutely need records? Should I provide some other sort of contact information for this person (i.e. another phone number)?

Thanks!

All you need is the first and last names of the person. If you have their number put that. These are references, just to reaffirm your volunteering hours. I'm not sure how often medical schools will actually call them, though.
I would just put whatever contact info you have for this person if the organization really has no record of you being there. Any means for schools to contact the individual if they desire to would be fine (email?)

Merging with Official Work/Activities thread.
 
Were you paid?
Did you get class credit?
What percent of the time did you spend talking with patients on the phone?
How many hours did you shahdow?
Yes, you can mention the associated seminar in the description.

Please multiquote both our posts in your response.

Hi Catalystik,

During one semester at college, I was involved in the Academic Internship Program, which allowed us to intern somewhere off campus and had an associated seminar on campus. I worked at a hospital in the office, doing administrative work including filing and pulling charts for clinic, answering telephone calls from patients and other doctors offices, and sometimes scheduling patients for clinic. I also went to grand rounds every week and then shadowed in the clinic and inpatient ward. Should I put this down as "other" and do you think I should describe the associated seminar (which was on professional ethics).

Thank you!


Hi Catalystik,

I did get class credit, did not get paid. I spent 8 hours per week at this internship- 4 hours doing admin work and 4 hours in the hospital, 3 hours of which were devoted to shadowing. I would say I spent about 10% of the time talking to patients on the phone 30% pulling and filing charts, and another 10% working on other administrative tasks like sorting faxes etc. Then about an hour at grand rounds each week, and three hours shadowing each week (12.5% grand rounds and 37.5% shadowing?).

On a different note, I have noticed that for many people's experiences, you have suggested that they list shadowing separately. Would you only suggest doing that if it is with one specific doctor, or a certain number of hours? In this situation I spent time on the wards with various different doctors and residents and child-life services, and also spent time in the clinic with the nurse practitioners and other doctors. I think it would be confusing to separate this type of shadowing experience and put it into a different experience all together- do you agree?

I have also two other similar experiences. They were both internships at a hospital. One was a pre-med volunteer experience (lets call it experience 2), where I volunteered approximately 8 hours each week for a total of 95.5 hours, and then attended 6.5 hours of surgery. The program lasted from June-August. On top of this shadowing, I was paired up with a plastic surgeon as part of the program. I spent about 30 hours each week, for 6 of the 10 weeks with this doctor in particular. I went with him to 3 different hospitals- on every call, etc. (I barely slept, it was great). Would you lump this experience together as one or separate them?

For the last experience (experience 3), I was accepted to do a summer student fellowship at a hospital for 10 weeks. During this experience I was paired with a physician, with whom I spent about 20-30% of my time shadowing. I was an employee of the hospital, and allowed to attend any surgery that I signed up for and I was also allowed to shadow in various departments when I wasn't with my doctor. I was in the hospital 30-40 hours each week, but I don't have a record of what hours were devoted to which experience (i do have a list of departments and surgeries that I attended). In addition to the shadowing in this experience, I analyzed clinical data and wrote a research manuscript. I did a lot of this on my own time, after shadowing during the day- probably spent and extra 15 hours a week on top of the shadowing. I would estimate that I spent between 45-55 hours each week working- 1/3 research, 2/3 shadowing.

Do you have any ideas on how to present this information?


I have also had two other separate shadowing experiences- each with a particular doctor, for a small amount of hours. These experiences I was going to document in a separate "shadowing" experience together and therefore could include the shadowing with the particular doctors from experience 2 and 3.

Sorry for the exceptionally long post- I hope it isn't too confusing how I've written it!

Thank you
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally Posted by Strayaxx
During one semester at college, I was involved in the Academic Internship Program, which allowed us to intern somewhere off campus and had an associated seminar on campus. I worked at a hospital in the office, doing administrative work including filing and pulling charts for clinic, answering telephone calls from patients and other doctors offices, and sometimes scheduling patients for clinic. I also went to grand rounds every week and then shadowed in the clinic and inpatient ward. Should I put this down as "other" and do you think I should describe the associated seminar (which was on professional ethics).
Were you paid?
Did you get class credit?
What percent of the time did you spend talking with patients on the phone?
How many hours did you shahdow?
Yes, you can mention the associated seminar in the description.
I did get class credit, did not get paid. I spent 8 hours per week at this internship- 4 hours doing admin work and 4 hours in the hospital, 3 hours of which were devoted to shadowing. I would say I spent about 10% of the time talking to patients on the phone 30% pulling and filing charts, and another 10% working on other administrative tasks like sorting faxes etc. Then about an hour at grand rounds each week, and three hours shadowing each week (12.5% grand rounds and 37.5% shadowing?).
1) On a different note, I have noticed that for many people's experiences, you have suggested that they list shadowing separately. Would you only suggest doing that if it is with one specific doctor, or a certain number of hours? In this situation I spent time on the wards with various different doctors and residents and child-life services, and also spent time in the clinic with the nurse practitioners and other doctors. I think it would be confusing to separate this type of shadowing experience and put it into a different experience all together- do you agree?

I have also two other similar experiences. They were both internships at a hospital. One was a pre-med volunteer experience (lets call it experience 2), where I volunteered approximately 8 hours each week for a total of 95.5 hours, and then attended 6.5 hours of surgery. The program lasted from June-August. On top of this shadowing, I was paired up with a plastic surgeon as part of the program. I spent about 30 hours each week, for 6 of the 10 weeks with this doctor in particular. I went with him to 3 different hospitals- on every call, etc. (I barely slept, it was great).
2) Would you lump this experience together as one or separate them?

For the last experience (experience 3), I was accepted to do a summer student fellowship at a hospital for 10 weeks. During this experience I was paired with a physician, with whom I spent about 20-30% of my time shadowing. I was an employee of the hospital, and allowed to attend any surgery that I signed up for and I was also allowed to shadow in various departments when I wasn't with my doctor. I was in the hospital 30-40 hours each week, but I don't have a record of what hours were devoted to which experience (i do have a list of departments and surgeries that I attended). In addition to the shadowing in this experience, I analyzed clinical data and wrote a research manuscript. I did a lot of this on my own time, after shadowing during the day- probably spent and extra 15 hours a week on top of the shadowing. I would estimate that I spent between 45-55 hours each week working- 1/3 research, 2/3 shadowing.

3) Do you have any ideas on how to present this information?


4) I have also had two other separate shadowing experiences- each with a particular doctor, for a small amount of hours. These experiences I was going to document in a separate "shadowing" experience together and therefore could include the shadowing with the particular doctors from experience 2 and 3.
1) See my response #2 at 7:41 am today for an alternate suggestion. (Post #1091).

2) I'd split out the shadowing on this one, since it's distinctly separate.

3) Since you will have three similar entries, it might be best to stick to a similar format for each.

For experience #1, I'd use Other, name it something like, "Administrative, Clinical, and Shadowing Internship," making the class credit evident. Leave the shadowing embedded since it's so integrated with the experience (and you have plenty anyway).

For #2, I'd use Community Service/Volunteer-Medical /Clinical, with a name like, "Clinical Volunteering (or something more specific about your role) Internship." If you are splitting out the shadowing, you won't include those hours or that word here and would just describe the clinical volunteering for 8 hours per week (I assume it involved patient contact, but you were not specific what the volunteering component entailed). You might make a note at the end of the space that the related shadowing is listed elsewhere.

For #3, I'd use Employment-nonMilitary, naming it, "Research and Shadowing Internship" (I'm assuming there was no active clinical experience where you helped patients). Since it was mainly shadowing, and you'll have plenty of shadowing otherwise listed elsewhere, you might decide to leave the shadowing with the rest of this experience.

My point with the above is not to necessarily provide you with a precise blueprint, but to show that each entry should be similar in how you organize and present it, with the title giving a good idea of the focus of the internship, so they will be less confusing.

4) The grouped Shadowing goes under Other.
 
Last edited:

1) See my response #2 at 7:41 am today for an alternate suggestion. (Post #1091).

2) I'd split out the shadowing on this one, since it's distinctly separate.

3) Since you will have three similar entries, it might be best to stick to a similar format for each.

For experience #1, I'd use Other, name it something like, "Administrative, Clinical, and Shadowing Internship," making the class credit evident. Leave the shadowing embedded since it's so integrated with the experience (and you have plenty anyway).

For #2, I'd use Community Service/Volunteer-Medical /Clinical, with a name like, "Clinical Volunteering (or something more specific about your role) Internship." If you are splitting out the shadowing, you won't include those hours or that word here and would just describe the clinical volunteering for 8 hours per week (I assume it involved patient contact, but you were not specific what the volunteering component entailed). You might make a note at the end of the space that the related shadowing is listed elsewhere.

For #3, I'd use Employment-nonMilitary, naming it, "Research and Shadowing Internship" (I'm assuming there was no active clinical experience where you helped patients). Since it was mainly shadowing, and you'll have plenty of shadowing otherwise listed elsewhere, you might decide to leave the shadowing with the rest of this experience.

My point with the above is not to necessarily provide you with a precise blueprint, but to show that each entry should be similar in how you organize and present it, with the title giving a good idea of the focus of the internship, so they will be less confusing.

4) The grouped Shadowing goes under Other.


Thank you! That helps organize things a lot. I hope you won't mind if I ask another question...:

Another thing that I have been struggling with is how to list my Fulbright.

I am on currently on a 2011 Fulbright scholarship for research- I am doing bench work in a research lab that is associated with a hospital and am not sure if I should list it as Honors/Awards or as a research/lab experience.

I currently have an Honors/awards experience called Undergraduate Awards- that has dean's list and magna cum laude, etc.

I was planning on having the Fulbright be its own Honors/awards experience just called Fulbright Scholarship to country X.

Is that appropriate, or should I list it as a research/lab experience? And if I list it as a research/lab experience, should I also put it in the Honors/Awards category I already have and then expand on the experience in it's own entry?

Lastly- I have not chosen to mark the fulbright as a "most meaningful experience" because I elaborate on it in my PS a lot (it has really made an impact on my continuing desire to pursue a career in med). I want to be able to use my 1325 characters to talk about 3 other experiences- but does this come off as too strategic, when clearly my Fulbright has been very meaningful to me, or will is it better not to beat my Fulbright to death on the application anyway?
 
1) Is it really ok to use bullet points for describing ECs?

2) Bullet points ok for 3 most sig exp? Is it a good idea?
1) Sometimes it's the most efficient way to fit a lot of information into 700 characters.

2) For the first 700 characters: fine. But for the 1325 added characters, I think that narrative style works better to serve the intent of the added space. JMO, so feel free to overrule that if you need to.
 
Another thing that I have been struggling with is how to list my Fulbright.

I am on currently on a 2011 Fulbright scholarship for research- I am doing bench work in a research lab that is associated with a hospital and am not sure if I should list it as Honors/Awards or as a research/lab experience.

I currently have an Honors/awards experience called Undergraduate Awards- that has dean's list and magna cum laude, etc.

I was planning on having the Fulbright be its own Honors/awards experience just called Fulbright Scholarship to country X.

Is that appropriate, or should I list it as a research/lab experience? And if I list it as a research/lab experience, should I also put it in the Honors/Awards category I already have and then expand on the experience in it's own entry?

Lastly- I have not chosen to mark the fulbright as a "most meaningful experience" because I elaborate on it in my PS a lot (it has really made an impact on my continuing desire to pursue a career in med). I want to be able to use my 1325 characters to talk about 3 other experiences- but does this come off as too strategic, when clearly my Fulbright has been very meaningful to me, or will is it better not to beat my Fulbright to death on the application anyway?
While I'm willing to give an opinion, I've never seen a Fulbright listed, so can't base a response on experience as to what will create the most impact without overdoing it. Let's put up the LizzyM batsignal and see if she will comment on your questions. Be patient.
 

1) See my response #2 at 7:41 am today for an alternate suggestion. (Post #1091).

2) I'd split out the shadowing on this one, since it's distinctly separate.

3) Since you will have three similar entries, it might be best to stick to a similar format for each.

For experience #1, I'd use Other, name it something like, "Administrative, Clinical, and Shadowing Internship," making the class credit evident. Leave the shadowing embedded since it's so integrated with the experience (and you have plenty anyway).

For #2, I'd use Community Service/Volunteer-Medical /Clinical, with a name like, "Clinical Volunteering (or something more specific about your role) Internship." If you are splitting out the shadowing, you won't include those hours or that word here and would just describe the clinical volunteering for 8 hours per week (I assume it involved patient contact, but you were not specific what the volunteering component entailed). You might make a note at the end of the space that the related shadowing is listed elsewhere.

For #3, I'd use Employment-nonMilitary, naming it, "Research and Shadowing Internship" (I'm assuming there was no active clinical experience where you helped patients). Since it was mainly shadowing, and you'll have plenty of shadowing otherwise listed elsewhere, you might decide to leave the shadowing with the rest of this experience.

My point with the above is not to necessarily provide you with a precise blueprint, but to show that each entry should be similar in how you organize and present it, with the title giving a good idea of the focus of the internship, so they will be less confusing.

4) The grouped Shadowing goes under Other.

I was thinking about your response to #3 and was wondering if it is a problem that it was a summer program that I received a stipend for- does this count as paid work? (does it matter really?) I guess it doesn't really fall into the research/lab type experience does it, if I spent most of my time shadowing?


While I'm willing to give an opinion, I've never seen a Fulbright listed, so can't base a response on experience as to what will create the most impact without overdoing it. Let's put up the LizzyM batsignal and see if she will comment on your questions. Be patient.


Thank you for calling in for back up :laugh:! I have been surprised by the lack of threads related to Fulbright actually!
 
I was thinking about your response to #3 and was wondering if it is a problem that it was a summer program that I received a stipend for- does this count as paid work? (does it matter really?) I guess it doesn't really fall into the research/lab type experience does it, if I spent most of my time shadowing?
Especially if you had no other research to list, you might decide to put it under Research, whether you were employed or received a stipend (remarking on which it was in the narrative). With a salary, you pay taxes and get monthly or twice-weekly pay stubs. If you list it as Research, I'd try to carve out the shadowing and put it elsewhere. I think your title would be something like Research Aide, rather than Researcher or Research Assistant, if you wanted to incorporate that into the title, rather than calling it an Internship.
 
Recently, I have submitted a first-author abstract for a poster presentation at a national conference that will take place next Fall. However, our the acceptance notifications and assignments will not be given out until late June.

As this is a major part of my research experience, how can I list this? Although my PI says he is positive I will be accepted should I wait until it is officially accepted to put it on AMCAS? Should I just say that it has been submitted for review?
I would not wait for notification to submit the Primary. It would be legit to mention at the end of the Research entry that an abstract was submited for review, since this has already happened. (It does not qualify for use of a Posters/Presentations space.) You can include the fact of the poster presentation in your fall update letter.

What seems set in stone isn't necessarily so. I recently heard that abstract acceptances are based on more than merit. The committee likes to see that there is a broad base represented by those accepted. If there are too many submissions from one region or one school, a better presentation may be declined in favor of one from an underrepresented area. I'm sure there are other nuances I am not yet aware of that also go into the decision-making process.
 
I was reading through several of last years school application threads and noticed that some secondary essays specified that the 'enter' button should not be used when writing the essays. Is it safe to assume AMCAS does not have this rule? Im concerned because when i converted my application into html all of my bullets got pushed together into paragraph form. However it looks perfect in pdf. Safe to assume im all good?
 
I was reading through several of last years school application threads and noticed that some secondary essays specified that the 'enter' button should not be used when writing the essays. Is it safe to assume AMCAS does not have this rule? Im concerned because when i converted my application into html all of my bullets got pushed together into paragraph form. However it looks perfect in pdf. Safe to assume im all good?
For AMCAS, to create a blank line indicating a paragraph, one uses two hard returns. As the file will be viewed in PDF, I wouldn't worry about the appearance in HTML.
 
I have played the piano since elementary school and studied music and solo piano through college, continue to play on my own. I have also worked as an accompanist since high school and was my college's student accompanist for my work study job. I have listed these as two separate activities - Pianist and Accompanist. What I am wondering is whether I should categorize my Accompanist position as a paid non-military position or a leadership position (pianist = artistic endeavor). Obviously I am paid to be accompanist, but the position often involves a significant amount of leadership in leading rehearsals, individual coaching, etc. I plan to use this as one of my two "most meaningful" activities, basically because of the leadership involved, so is it okay to categorize it as Leadership even though it's also paid?
 
I have a REU this summer and while it won't officially begin in the sense that I won't set foot in the lab until after I've submitted the amcas, I've already spent significant amounts of time designing my project, writing up the proposal/plans, doing literature reviews, and meeting with my PI. Should this be included or should I perhaps save it for secondary applications? I'm leaning towards just saving it for secondaries.
 
One of my most meaningful experiences is a hobby(hiking). Not sure if this is silly, but I picked it because a lot of the hikes I do are long and strenuous and I feel that it shows determination (maybe?). So my question is this: if I write about that, should it still be in the hobbies section, or have its own slot? And is this even a good idea?

Another dilemma is similar - I worked in 2 labs, and they both had a significant impact on me, so should they be listed together? It seems like most people are putting each lab separately, and that makes more sense to me
 
Last edited:
#1) I think you should put it because it shows you aren't 1 dimensional. I put my guitar playing in hobbies as a stress relief.

#2) I worked in 4 labs and due to the 15 slot restrictions I had to group 2 of them together. If you have slots left and can talk about the labs, then separate?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have played the piano since elementary school and studied music and solo piano through college, continue to play on my own. I have also worked as an accompanist since high school and was my college's student accompanist for my work study job. I have listed these as two separate activities - Pianist and Accompanist. What I am wondering is whether I should categorize my Accompanist position as a paid non-military position or a leadership position (pianist = artistic endeavor). Obviously I am paid to be accompanist, but the position often involves a significant amount of leadership in leading rehearsals, individual coaching, etc. I plan to use this as one of my two "most meaningful" activities, basically because of the leadership involved, so is it okay to categorize it as Leadership even though it's also paid?
I would pick Artistic Endeavors and Leadership, indicating where you were paid in either. And I would name the Leadership position something other than Accompanist, which is not evocative of organizing others/taking charge (at least to me): Performance Coach, Rehearsal Leader, Musical Performance Director? I'm sure you can think of something more accurate than I, since you know what you do.
 
I have a REU this summer and while it won't officially begin in the sense that I won't set foot in the lab until after I've submitted the amcas, I've already spent significant amounts of time designing my project, writing up the proposal/plans, doing literature reviews, and meeting with my PI. Should this be included or should I perhaps save it for secondary applications? I'm leaning towards just saving it for secondaries.
You could legitimately claim to have done anything you've already started. But the prep work for starting a research experience may or may not be particularly noteworthy in some eyes. If you are intent on including it due to substantial time invested, I'd suggest listing it under Other and calling it maybe "Research Project Design."
 
1) One of my most meaningful experiences is a hobby(hiking). Not sure if this is silly, but I picked it because a lot of the hikes I do are long and strenuous and I feel that it shows determination (maybe?). So my question is this: if I write about that, should it still be in the hobbies section, or have its own slot? And is this even a good idea?

2) Another dilemma is similar - I worked in 2 labs, and they both had a significant impact on me, so should they be listed together? It seems like most people are putting each lab separately, and that makes more sense to me

#1) I think you should put it because it shows you aren't 1 dimensional. I put my guitar playing in hobbies as a stress relief.

#2) I worked in 4 labs and due to the 15 slot restrictions I had to group 2 of them together. If you have slots left and can talk about the labs, then separate?
Since pfaction forgot to quote you to make it evident he was responding, I'll take the liberty of putting the posts together here.

1) I think you should list the hiking, also, and under Hobbies. It can go in its own space if you have enough to say, perhaps about how you prepare, specific interesting hikes, or adventures along the way.

2) If you have the space, it is better to list the two experiences separately, but you would probably only want to pick one as "Most Meaningful" in that case. If both are equally meaningful and you can't choose, you may list them together, filling in the header information for the most recent or the most substantive experience, as you wish, and then putting the same information in the description for the second.
 
Currently in a part of my AMCAS, I talk about how my research experience (OChem research) helped me decide that I'm not a wet lab person but rather more interested in policy research (I substantiate this claim a bit).
Is this a bad idea?
 
Hey I only have two awards in university (deans list for a year, and a 1000 scholarship I didn't apply to for finishing at the top of my class (4.0) after first year). Do you think its worth it to make a subsection in the work/activities section for awards (I only have 9 entries right now, so running out of entries is not an issue)
 
I played an instrument in middle and high school, and i still do it (although a lot less) in college. I am saying that this is an important experience for me, but when talking about its importance, I'm just talking about how in high school, it helped me become a more disciplined person and a better leader and teacher. Basically, I'm highlighting how it shaped me in high school. Am I going at this task at the wrong angle?

Also, I'm writing it as a cliche story like "i used to do this, but I figured out this this and this". Is that bad too?
 
I know earlier this forum stated that listing future events is considered a big "NO" but what if I already formally accepted a position as a paid, university sponsored biology peer mentor for the Fall? Training for the position starts in august, would if be okay to list or should I save it for an update letter.
Unless you have another similar activity on the application, like tutoring or mentoring, where you could slip it in at the end of the narrative, I would save mention of the activity for a future update letter.
 
Currently in a part of my AMCAS, I talk about how my research experience (OChem research) helped me decide that I'm not a wet lab person but rather more interested in policy research (I substantiate this claim a bit).
Is this a bad idea?
The "common wisdom" is not to bash one activity, but rather to make clear why the other is far more compelling for you. Basically: Try to keep the discussion positive.
 
Hey I only have two awards in university (deans list for a year, and a 1000 scholarship I didn't apply to for finishing at the top of my class (4.0) after first year). Do you think its worth it to make a subsection in the work/activities section for awards (I only have 9 entries right now, so running out of entries is not an issue)
No, I don't think these recognitions are worth listing, but many do so anyway.
 
Are we allowed to include 1 activity that overlaps 2 categories? I.e. a volunteer job where you guide a bunch of students at some task. Can this be volunteer and also leadership work?
 
I played an instrument in middle and high school, and i still do it (although a lot less) in college. I am saying that this is an important experience for me, but when talking about its importance, I'm just talking about how in high school, it helped me become a more disciplined person and a better leader and teacher. Basically, I'm highlighting how it shaped me in high school. Am I going at this task at the wrong angle?

Also, I'm writing it as a cliche story like "i used to do this, but I figured out this this and this". Is that bad too?
Since you continue to play, it's legit to make clear how the activity has shaped you. Maybe you could be more vague about when that shaping was done. It's fine to give examples of the impact/changes that have occurred.
 
Are we allowed to include 1 activity that overlaps 2 categories? I.e. a volunteer job where you guide a bunch of students at some task. Can this be volunteer and also leadership work?
Many activities overlap two categories, but you have to make a choice about which category to list it under. Once decides which category to pick based on what balances the application better. Leadership, BTW, implies "Peer" Leadership, so if you are guiding younger students, you wouldn't pick that. But, maybe Teaching is another possible category. Whichever you pick, make the second qualifying designation evident in the name and/or the description.

[You would not list it twice, unless you split out the separate hours so you don't count them doubly.]
 
I am a member of a school science journal team, we publish undergrad's research work in the journal. What category would this fall under?
 
I am a member of a school science journal team, we publish undergrad's research work in the journal. What category would this fall under?
If you organize other journal staff members, then maybe Leadership. If part of a team led by someone else, maybe use Other. If you write editorials or expanatory/interpretive materials, then maybe Artistic Endeavor (writing) or Teaching. If you are paid for this position, then maybe Employment.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
several questions

1. i'm listing some of my hobbies. some, like singing, i have been doing since i was four. so for the start date, would i just give an approximate month / year (1994) but would this seem strange to adcoms?

2. i'm teaching mcat for princeton review. i get paid for it, but i already have plenty for paid - nonmilitary. is it alright to put under teaching?

3. i was webmaster for a women's honor society and also for a community service organization. should the women's honor society one be listed under honors? or should i list both under leadership? how should i title it?

thanks! 🙂
 
1. i'm listing some of my hobbies. some, like singing, i have been doing since i was four. so for the start date, would i just give an approximate month / year (1994) but would this seem strange to adcoms?

2. i'm teaching mcat for princeton review. i get paid for it, but i already have plenty for paid - nonmilitary. is it alright to put under teaching?

3. i was webmaster for a women's honor society and also for a community service organization. should the women's honor society one be listed under honors? or should i list both under leadership? how should i title it?

thanks! 🙂
1) Many applicants with early exposure to The Arts list dates from childhood. Alternatively, you could list just the college years of involvement, but mention the full date range in the narrative.

2) Yes, you get that choice sometimes. But state that you were paid in the description.

3) There are lots of choices for what to do; here are some examples:
You could choose Other or Hobbies (vs Employment if you were paid), listing both experiences together, and name the space Webmaster.

Alternatively, if you want to discuss membership/involvement in the honor society also, because you have lots to say, you could make a listing for that alone under Hobbies (as you would for a club) or Other, and mention the webmaster component in the same space. If you did this, you could then put the other webmaster gig under Community Service/Volunteer (assuming you were not paid).

If you want the honor society under Honors, you'd probably put it in its own space or add it to the list of other Honors, and state the criteria for being invited to join, but personally, I wouldn't add the webmaster role to that same entry.
 
Hey Catalystik,

I don't understand something. Did the work and activities description of 700 characters cut down from previous years? How can you fit a narrative in that measly 700 characters? I'm having trouble because I want to clump my employments in one, and since I've had four jobs, I'll have barely any room to describe why I took the job/what I learned/ etc. :? Is it okay if I make one of those jobs most meaningful, but call it teaching/tutoring instead? what happens if I have no more room to reflect on my work/activities like for the employment box/ or my shadowing box where I maxed out the characters due to including hours and references?

Also: I volunteered in High school for the hospital for three years and did so for a diff hospital this past semester as well, but not nearly as many hours. If I can, how do I list these two together? What do I do if I don't have a contact of the program director for the HS hours. Can I include contact of the nurse that still works there?

Thanks
 
Hey Catalystik,

I don't understand something. Did the work and activities description of 700 characters cut down from previous years? How can you fit a narrative in that measly 700 characters? I'm having trouble because I want to clump my employments in one, and since I've had four jobs, I'll have barely any room to describe why I took the job/what I learned/ etc. :? Is it okay if I make one of those jobs most meaningful, but call it teaching/tutoring instead? what happens if I have no more room to reflect on my work/activities like for the employment box/ or my shadowing box where I maxed out the characters due to including hours and references?

Also: I volunteered in High school for the hospital for three years and did so for a diff hospital this past semester as well, but not nearly as many hours. If I can, how do I list these two together? What do I do if I don't have a contact of the program director for the HS hours. Can I include contact of the nurse that still works there?

Thanks

Maybe this is a test to see how much people can express themselves with so little to work with. I also find the 700 character limit somewhat annoying.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.