*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

Started by sector9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This same thing happened to me last year. I ended up just making my descriptions 685 characters (or whatever it would save for me). However, others reported success with different browsers (I think Internet Explorer possibly?)

I remember downgrading my Firefox to an older "supported" version on my Mac but it still wouldn't work for me

Thanks for the advice! I'm in Chrome now but I'll give the other browsers a shot as well.
 
Ok, this question isn't really about activities, but I would really like Catalystik's input on this question. Would having a letter from a DO hurt the applicant's chances at MD programs? What if it has a sentence like "this student would be a great fit for osteopathic medical schools because he has great interest in the osteopathic philosophy" or something to that effect? Would it hurt then?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The "meaningful" experience stuff is really crap. You can't express anything meaningful that shows what you've learned in just 1300 characters. It's just generalized mumbo jumbo.
 
I am part of the board for a health-related student organization. Right now, I have listed it under "leadership" but I feel that it could also be under "volunteering-medical/clinical". I want to choose this as one of my most meaningful experiences, but I already have another non-medical leadership experience as a most meaningful experience.

So should I break this activity apart into two entries, one of leadership and one of volunteering...and list the clinical volunteering entry as most meaningful? That way, my most meaningful activities would be a non medical leadership, medical/clinical volunteering, and a research entry (which seems more well-rounded than two leadership positions and research).
I think that splitting out the two components of the activity would work fine. But notice that the Leadership designation is "Leadership, not Listed Elsewhere," which leaves you free to leave a leadership role with the activity that spawned it.

So, alternatively, you could leave them together, designate it Community Service/Volunteer-Medical/Clinical (if you had patient contact), highlighting the clinical aspect of the activity more, though mentioning that you moved into a leadership role in the description and its separate dates.
 
Ok, this question isn't really about activities, but I would really like Catalystik's input on this question. Would having a letter from a DO hurt the applicant's chances at MD programs? What if it has a sentence like "this student would be a great fit for osteopathic medical schools because he has great interest in the osteopathic philosophy" or something to that effect? Would it hurt then?
This question lies outside the scope of this thread. I replied in your WAMC thread where we last "spoke."
 
No, just use two hard returns to create a blank line between paragraphs. Check the print preview in PDF to be sure it turns out right.

I've tried previewing my entries in print PDF but it only lets me see the first few lines of the entry. I've tried in IE and Firefox. Is there a way around this?

In general, do you see a lot of formatting issues from applicants?
 
Each activity is coming to around 200-300 characters. Is this too short? I'm literally just providing a short description of what the club does (for example).
 
This thread has been very helpful - thanks so much!

I have an odd activity that I'm not sure how to classify. Every summer for the last six years I've beed a camp counselor/teacher at a music camp run by a family. I attended this camp as a high school student so I'm pretty close with them. They're not technically a non-profit, but most of the years I haven't been paid. A couple of years, though, I've been given a small stipend to cover gas ($100-$150 for a 24hr/day week). Is this still considered paid employment then? Can I avoid this question by classifying it as teaching or leadership?

Thanks in advance for your help!
 
So I volunteered at Hospital A from 2007-2009 in a patient care department.

I'm going to start volunteering at Hospital A again starting this month and will be in a leadership position (volunteer still) in that same patient care department and will also be volunteering in the NICU.

Is it acceptable to make two entries?
 
I have an odd activity that I'm not sure how to classify. Every summer for the last six years I've beed a camp counselor/teacher at a music camp run by a family. I attended this camp as a high school student so I'm pretty close with them. They're not technically a non-profit, but most of the years I haven't been paid. A couple of years, though, I've been given a small stipend to cover gas ($100-$150 for a 24hr/day week). Is this still considered paid employment then? Can I avoid this question by classifying it as teaching or leadership?
If it were a salary, you'd have a pay stub and taxes would have been taken out. I'd consider it a travel stipend, instead. Feel free to list it as Community Service/Volunteer-not Medical/Clinical or as Teaching, whichever balances your application best. Leadership for AMCAS purposes implies peer leadership, so I doubt that is appropriate, unless you organized and trained other counselors.

And I wouldn't claim a 24 hour day unless you never slept, even if you were obliged to remain on the premises.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I volunteered at Hospital A from 2007-2009 in a patient care department.

I'm going to start volunteering at Hospital A again starting this month and will be in a leadership position (volunteer still) in that same patient care department and will also be volunteering in the NICU.

Is it acceptable to make two entries?
Yes, but I would not pick Leadership for one of them. Instead, consider using Community Service/Volunteer for both, listing experience A with the dates from 2007-2009 only, titling it Patient Care Volunteer/Tech/Aide (or whatever) with Recent Training Role (or somesuch), starting the entry describing the past activity, then giving the date of onset for the new training role and a description. For NICU experience B, put the more recent date in the header-to present. Title it appropriately. Describe.

Don't use a date span from 2007 to present for Experience A. It's too misleading.
 
Yes, but I would not pick Leadership for one of them. Instead, consider using Community Service/Volunteer for both, listing experience A with the dates from 2007-2009 only, titling it Patient Care Volunteer/Tech/Aide (or whatever) with Recent Training Role (or somesuch), starting the entry describing the past activity, then giving the date of onset for the new training role and a description. For NICU experience B, put the more recent date in the header-to present. Title it appropriately. Describe.

Don't use a date span from 2007 to present for Experience A. It's too misleading.

Ok thanks! Yea, having a date from 2007 to present is one of the reasons why I considered doing 2 entries.

Out of curiosity, why do you suggest putting the recent training role in the first entry rather than including "training role" in the second entry?
 
I have a question regarding mentioning Dean's List. I was on the Dean's List for 5 out of 6 semesters. I don't want to just mention that I was on the list for 5 semesters since applicants who have already graduated have completed 8 semesters, so I feel like 5 semesters might not seem that great. In the entry title, can I state "Dean's List for 5 out of 6 semesters"? Or does that not look good?

Also, I'm debating about whether or not I should include the Dean's List as an entry at all. I already have one other award (from a poster presentation) that I would really like to list separately since my pre-med advisor suggested this to me... Would it look bad if I include the Dean's List as its own awards entry and my other award as a separate entry? Also, by including the Dean's List as an entry, would that dilute out my strong activities, or would it be okay to include it?
 
Also, I attended last year's annual American College of Rheumatology Conference as a guest of a preceptorship award recipient. Basically we just walked around and sat in on a few lectures, but nothing really notable or spectacular.

I noticed that AMCAS has a section for conferences attended. Is it appropriate to include this?
 
Out of curiosity, why do you suggest putting the recent training role in the first entry rather than including "training role" in the second entry?
Because they are related, and relating your rise to added responsibility makes more sense if the back story is in the same space. And because it updates the fairly old activity and makes it more current and relevant.
 
Because they are related, and relating your rise to added responsibility makes more sense if the back story is in the same space. And because it updates the fairly old activity and makes it more current and relevant.

Sounds good to me. Thank you!
 
I have a question regarding mentioning Dean's List. I was on the Dean's List for 5 out of 6 semesters. I don't want to just mention that I was on the list for 5 semesters since applicants who have already graduated have completed 8 semesters, so I feel like 5 semesters might not seem that great. In the entry title, can I state "Dean's List for 5 out of 6 semesters"? Or does that not look good?

Also, I'm debating about whether or not I should include the Dean's List as an entry at all. I already have one other award (from a poster presentation) that I would really like to list separately since my pre-med advisor suggested this to me... Would it look bad if I include the Dean's List as its own awards entry and my other award as a separate entry? Also, by including the Dean's List as an entry, would that dilute out my strong activities, or would it be okay to include it?
My opinion is that including Deans List at all is a fairly weak listing, since your GPA makes your grades evident anyway, and since every school has separate criteia for getting the deans list designation. My vote would be to include it (if you want to mention it at all) as a second entry in the research Award space, like, "Also, I received a deans list award for 5 of my 6 semesters at the university." That way you don't need a title and all the other header information for the space belongs with the research award.
 
Also, I attended last year's annual American College of Rheumatology Conference as a guest of a preceptorship award recipient. Basically we just walked around and sat in on a few lectures, but nothing really notable or spectacular.

I noticed that AMCAS has a section for conferences attended. Is it appropriate to include this?
You may, but honestly, I don't see it adding any appeal to your application.
 
-Is it strange for me to list my work experience as a Model/Actress? I have worked with legitimate agencies and have done ad campaigns, NYFW, tv shows, etc. I feel like this has been a huge part of my life but I am also wondering if ADCOMs will look down on this type of work at all? I just don't want this to distract them from the rest of my experiences/work (which includes being a policy analyst, research etc). When people hear you're a model they tend to act differently and start asking strange questions, and I just don't know if I want to deal with this in interviews.
 
-Is it strange for me to list my work experience as a Model/Actress? I have worked with legitimate agencies and have done ad campaigns, NYFW, tv shows, etc. I feel like this has been a huge part of my life but I am also wondering if ADCOMs will look down on this type of work at all? I just don't want this to distract them from the rest of my experiences/work (which includes being a policy analyst, research etc). When people hear you're a model they tend to act differently and start asking strange questions, and I just don't know if I want to deal with this in interviews.
You wouldn't be unique in listing this under Employment. I don't think the occupation would be looked down on. But due to your implied success, it might be wondered what your true career goals may be or whether you'll be overly distracted by pursuing both. I don't think you should have to "prove yourself" any more than another applicant, especially when you'll have other meaty entries, but it might end up that way. I've seen LizzyM suggest using euphemisms for potentially controversial occupations. Can you think of some?
 
You wouldn't be unique in listing this under Employment. I don't think the occupation would be looked down on. But due to your implied success, it might be wondered what your true career goals may be or whether you'll be overly distracted by pursuing both. I don't think you should have to "prove yourself" any more than another applicant, especially when you'll have other meaty entries, but it might end up that way. I've seen LizzyM suggest using euphemisms for potentially controversial occupations. Can you think of some?
My modeling/acting has always been part-time at best. I am older now as well, so it has been winding down for a while now as I transition more into medicine. I have always had another job in addition and there's no way I want to keep doing this into medical school. I suppose at this point it just adds to my diversity. 😛
 
My modeling/acting has always been part-time at best. I am older now as well, so it has been winding down for a while now as I transition more into medicine. I have always had another job in addition and there's no way I want to keep doing this into medical school. I suppose at this point it just adds to my diversity. 😛
Also I think making up a euphemism might make it worse; the only thing I can think of would be "Performer" which sounds vague and questionable. After mulling over this, I think I should just be straightforward.
 
Hi, thanks for the great work! I've been reading this forum for some time but never posted.
I have some specific questions that I would appreciate some advice, so:

1) I was secretary of a club for one year, but that same club also has a volunteer component. I have been volunteering for 2 years. The club part was related to raising money for a national chapter, while the volunteer consisted of reading to kids in the waiting room of a health center.
a)would it be ok if I split the activities or is it going to look like I just wanted to get more entries (which is true)?
b) can I conside that volunteer non medical?

2) I did research in a lab and my professor submitted an abstract about a project that I participated for an International Conference (It was accepted) . He listed me as a co-author because of my involvement with the project, but I didn't help with the abstract and I won't go to the conference either since it will be in Europe. Can I still list it under my research slot? I know it's not much but I don't have that much research experience.

3) Also I took a class which my professor said can be listed on the cv as a research course. It involved a big lab component and we had a semester long project sequencing gene sequences from a cDNA library and publishing it ( unfortunately the ones I sequenced were either bad or already published). Should I list this under a separate research entry, or should I not even bother with it? I don't want to list with my other research because I don't want to diminish the other one (since that was a more "proper" research). Without the research course I have 7-8 entries, so I don't want to list random things and look desperate.

Sorry for the long entry and thanks in advance!
 
2) I did research in a lab and my professor submitted an abstract about a project that I participated for an International Conference (It was accepted) . He listed me as a co-author because of my involvement with the project, but I didn't help with the abstract and I won't go to the conference either since it will be in Europe. Can I still list it under my research slot?
I'm literally in this exact situation right now. Would love an answer because I've put it under my "presentations" right now.
 
Hey all,

Few quick questions (don't know if they've been addressed yet, Bangladesh internet is rather slow, so I didn't want to sift through all the pages):

1. Would it be advisable to list a current experience as "most meaningful" if you have enough information to describe why its meaningful easily, e.g., I'm currently in Bangladesh, will have been for two weeks by June 5th, and am teaching in an English-medium school and shadowing local doctors until early July?

2. Would it be advisable to list as an award a fellowship at a bioethics think tank that one was notified of in April, but will not be participating in until late July? (Intend on submitting June 5th).

3. How/where should I describe the general role I've played in religious life at my university, which is currently undergoing much revision/student protest? I've tried to be a peace keeper, mediating both sides, with one group I'm going to be president of being forced off campus, and the other group which I will also be president of remaining. I have no idea whether I should even discuss the experience or not, but I have had to coordinate with many other student organizations, and have been appointed to the Religious Life Committee by the university for the coming year. Any thoughts???

Thanks!
Tanstripe
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) I was secretary of a club for one year, but that same club also has a volunteer component. I have been volunteering for 2 years. The club part was related to raising money for a national chapter, while the volunteer consisted of reading to kids in the waiting room of a health center.
a)would it be ok if I split the activities or is it going to look like I just wanted to get more entries (which is true)?
b) can I conside that volunteer non medical?

2) I did research in a lab and my professor submitted an abstract about a project that I participated for an International Conference (It was accepted) . He listed me as a co-author because of my involvement with the project, but I didn't help with the abstract and I won't go to the conference either since it will be in Europe. Can I still list it under my research slot? I know it's not much but I don't have that much research experience.

3) Also I took a class which my professor said can be listed on the cv as a research course. It involved a big lab component and we had a semester long project sequencing gene sequences from a cDNA library and publishing it ( unfortunately the ones I sequenced were either bad or already published). Should I list this under a separate research entry, or should I not even bother with it? I don't want to list with my other research because I don't want to diminish the other one (since that was a more "proper" research). Without the research course I have 7-8 entries, so I don't want to list random things and look desperate.
1) a) Yes, but don't double count the hours. b) Yes.

2) Yes, the accepted abstract should be listed and the Research slot is the best place for it. Mention the acceptance, abstract title, your place on the author list, the conference and location, and who will present (like, planned first author presentation at . . . on XX/XX/XX. Or somesuch.

3) I think you should list it, on its own, as the designation is Research/Lab, and you surely gained useful experience.
 
I'm literally in this exact situation right now. Would love an answer because I've put it under my "presentations" right now.
If you haven't yet done the presentation, it belongs more properly with the associated Research. Alternatively, if you have other already-presented Presentations/Posters to list, you might slip it into the same entry with them if you have space problems, making clear it was accepted/not yet presented, along with the intended date.
 
1. Would it be advisable to list a current experience as “most meaningful” if you have enough information to describe why its meaningful easily, e.g., I’m currently in Bangladesh, will have been for two weeks by June 5th, and am teaching in an English-medium school and shadowing local doctors until early July?

2. Would it be advisable to list as an award a fellowship at a bioethics think tank that one was notified of in April, but will not be participating in until late July? (Intend on submitting June 5th).

3. How/where should I describe the general role I’ve played in religious life at my university, which is currently undergoing much revision/student protest? I’ve tried to be a peace keeper, mediating both sides, with one group I’m going to be president of being forced off campus, and the other group which I will also be president of remaining. I have no idea whether I should even discuss the experience or not, but I have had to coordinate with many other student organizations, and have been appointed to the Religious Life Committee by the university for the coming year. Any thoughts?
1) If it more meaningful than most of your other entries, then there is no reason not to pick it, even though it's been a brief experience.

2) You can list the award, as you have received notification, but not the Think Tank experience, which can be communicated through Secondary essays or future update letters.

3) If you decide to list it, I suggest you chose the "Other" designation. You can mention the appointment and president-elect status, but you shouldn't designate it as Leadership, as you have yet to begin that experience.
 
1. Should a section purely about hobbies be included? I enjoy biking, skiing and reading but I havent done anything competitive in regards to these activities and dont want to seem like im stretching my app further than it should go.

2. Is there a consensus on writing past vs. present tense? I did past tense for activities I did in school and present tense for the two jobs I work now. However my girlfriend read it and said that it looks weird in comparison to the other activities. Should i just change everything to past tense?

3. Am i right in understanding that if the app looks good in the pdf preview format than it should be fine to submit it in that way? I copied some stuff in from word and it looks completely fine in pdf. Im also wondering about this in relation to the PS. Currently I have something that I copied and pasted into the box, but I was wondering if i should rewrite it into the space before I submit.
 
1. Should a section purely about hobbies be included? I enjoy biking, skiing and reading but I havent done anything competitive in regards to these activities and dont want to seem like im stretching my app further than it should go.

2. Is there a consensus on writing past vs. present tense? I did past tense for activities I did in school and present tense for the two jobs I work now. However my girlfriend read it and said that it looks weird in comparison to the other activities. Should i just change everything to past tense?

3. Am i right in understanding that if the app looks good in the pdf preview format than it should be fine to submit it in that way? I copied some stuff in from word and it looks completely fine in pdf. Im also wondering about this in relation to the PS. Currently I have something that I copied and pasted into the box, but I was wondering if i should rewrite it into the space before I submit.
1) In my opinion, including a section on leisuretime activities is a way to help you stand out amid a sea of EC look-alikes as well as reassure adcomms that you have healthy habits for stress relief. Use yourself for the contact if needbe.

2) No consensus. I think the way you did it is fine.

3) I suggest you heed the warning in the AMCAS Instructions, which explicitly states not to copy and paste from heavily formated text. Maybe you're fine as you are, but that warning is there for a reason.
 
(1) I have 17 conference abstracts, 8 first author, 5 are poster days, the rest are national/international professional conferences. I don't have space for all of them, so I have written "12 abstracts in addition to the below" and then included 5 of the most significant posters.

However it still takes too many characters to list ALL the authors on every poster, so I've truncated the author list and include only the first two authors, et al. (my name appears on all of these since I am either first or second on those I actually listed). However, by truncating the author name, the PI (senior author) is no longer apparent. You can still figure out which poster is from which lab by comparing to my full author list in my manuscripts section, where I had space for all the authors. Is this okay? I'm already compromising by listing less than half of my work, but fear the author list truncation is problematic.

(2) My research scholarships won't fit into 700-characters along with my short research description. Is it okay if I put them in a separate box all on their own? What descriptions should I offer for research awards? I don't really know what to say about them, if they just sit out on their own in a box. It seems tacky to offer the dollar amount, but I feel there isn't much to say about them.

(3) I don't have space for all my manuscripts (4 + 2 reviews). The reviews are published in an undergraduate science journal, for which I held a high-ranking position. I displaced the reviews to the journal leadership activity. Now my publications are scattered throughout my AMCAS - 4 proefssional pubs in the pubs box, 2 undergrad pubs in the staff/leadership section. Is this disorganized? Will this dilute impact?

(4) I am listing all my shadowing experiences in one box. Do I have to provide a contact for each of these experiences?
 
Last edited:
If you haven't yet done the presentation, it belongs more properly with the associated Research. Alternatively, if you have other already-presented Presentations/Posters to list, you might slip it into the same entry with them if you have space problems, making clear it was accepted/not yet presented, along with the intended date.

Yes, I have a prior presentation and I slipped it in accordingly:
Author 1, pfaction. et al[running out of room]. Title of this presentation. This presentation will be given at Place in October 2012. Contact: My PI.

This sound good? Thanks!
 
Yes, I have a prior presentation and I slipped it in accordingly:
Author 1, pfaction. et al[running out of room]. Title of this presentation. This presentation will be given at Place in October 2012. Contact: My PI.

This sound good? Thanks!
If you will be the presenter, state instead, "I will present . . .etc. If someone else will be the presenter, say "To be presented by 2nd author . . .etc."
 
It's actually a throw-up if I will be able to present. It's an international conference and I'm not sure if I can get time off from my pharmacy rotations to do it. As an off topic, do you know if a lot of schools would set up interviews granted I submit by Mid June and am diligent in submitting my secondaries?

For now, I'm going to be cautious and say first author presenting.
 
And I wouldn't claim a 24 hour day unless you never slept, even if you were obliged to remain on the premises.

Thanks for your help!

I only say it's a 24hr/day gig because I have to sleep in the girls' dormitory, and deal with "nighttime" issues that seem to come up almost every night (crying girl, health issues, raccoon in the cabin, etc.).

What are your thoughts about that?
 
(1) I have 17 conference abstracts, 8 first author, 5 are poster days, the rest are national/international professional conferences. I don't have space for all of them, so I have written "12 abstracts in addition to the below" and then included 5 of the most significant posters.

However it still takes too many characters to list ALL the authors on every poster, so I've truncated the author list and include only the first two authors, et al. (my name appears on all of these since I am either first or second on those I actually listed).
However, by truncating the author name, the PI (senior author) is no longer apparent. You can still figure out which poster is from which lab by comparing to my full author list in my manuscripts section, where I had space for all the authors. Is this okay? I'm already compromising by listing less than half of my work, but fear the author list truncation is problematic.

(2) a) My research scholarships won't fit into 700-characters along with my short research description. Is it okay if I put them in a separate box all on their own?
b) What descriptions should I offer for research awards? I don't really know what to say about them, if they just sit out on their own in a box. It seems tacky to offer the dollar amount, but I feel there isn't much to say about them.

(3) I don't have space for all my manuscripts (4 + 2 reviews). The reviews are published in an undergraduate science journal, for which I held a high-ranking position. I displaced the reviews to the journal leadership activity. Now my publications are scattered throughout my AMCAS - 4 professional pubs in the pubs box, 2 undergrad pubs in the staff/leadership section. Is this disorganized? Will this dilute impact?

(4) I am listing all my shadowing experiences in one box. Do I have to provide a contact for each of these experiences?
1) I think that's fine to truncate the author list. Ideally, the more important ones you chose are off-campus conferences.

You could use the PI from the lab with the most related abstracts as the header contact. For the second PI, you could make a note of that person as contact for the following abstracts: this would get around the embarrassing omission of the PI's name, as would the below.

Would it help condense things knowing that generally where data was published in a noncampus journal, that the same data presented as a poster with an associated abstract need not be listed on its own. Usually the most prestigious way in which your data was shared is the important listing, though mention that it was "also presented as a poster at XXX conference on XX/XX/xx date and at a podium presentation at . . . ." is common. This saves a lot of repetitive titles and author listings.

2) a) Yes.
b) And listing the amount of each stipend, grant, or scholarship is common. Description should give an impression of how competitive the award was.

3) I think this was a good organizational choice, since review articles don't have the same cashe as original research pubs.

4) The contact for the first one listed goes in the header box. Add as many others as you can manage. Example:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12561811&postcount=848
 
It's actually a throw-up if I will be able to present. It's an international conference and I'm not sure if I can get time off from my pharmacy rotations to do it. As an off topic, do you know if a lot of schools would set up interviews granted I submit by Mid June and am diligent in submitting my secondaries?

For now, I'm going to be cautious and say first author presenting.
It's always better to underplay your hand.

Your other question is outside the scope of this thread.
 
Thanks for your help!

I only say it's a 24hr/day gig because I have to sleep in the girls' dormitory, and deal with "nighttime" issues that seem to come up almost every night (crying girl, health issues, raccoon in the cabin, etc.).

What are your thoughts about that?
I think if you claim too many hours that adcomms will discount the entire activity. Maybe stretching it to 17 hours per day will fly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I talked briefly about an experience in my personal statement, is it necessary (or a good idea) to list it in the work/activities section? Perhaps as a reference?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.