*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
. . . .Unless the impression left in your mind was a negative one, in which case I would hesitate to give a negative report when the doc is identifiable.

It was a very positive impression. Thanks again (and theseeker4).

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm choosing one of my clinical experiences that I wrote about in my personal statement as one my most meaningful. I am not planning to add any more information to the work/activities section. Should I mention in my work/activities section that I talked about this experience in my personal statement?

I have only 6 hours of shadowing from private practice.. and rest of it is from observing doctors from hospitals. Since it was not formal, I don't really know their name or they know my name..
Also hours are very approximate but it's about 30 hours total, including couple all night shadowing for couple of doctors. How can I designate this? I am thinking about writing this separately from my own hospital volunteering..
You might refer to them as General Staff and Emergency Room Physicians of XXXX Hospital. Possibly you could use the unit clerk, nurse manager, or one doc who knows you as a contact to attest to this activity.

I agree with carving out this time from your volunteer position and listing it with the other shadowing. Take care not to double count the hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was part of a lab for 2 years and I contributed to 2 papers, which are both submitted and not yet accepted. I realize these count for future activities, but I did attend a conference for one of the papers last fall (I'm listed on the program etc).

Should I just add the conference title and date and the title of the paper we presented? Or leave it out? Or what?
If this was a noncampus conference, and you did a Poster/Presentation, you can cite it under that designation. You might mention that a manuscript with the same data has been submitted to . . . in the same space.

Besides the info you included in your second paragraph, and the location (much of this will be in the header), be sure to include at least the first author and your place on the authors list (or cite all of them if you have the space). If you did not personally present, give credit to the one that did.

So, I'm choosing one of my clinical experiences that I wrote about in my personal statement as one my most meaningful. I am not planning to add any more information to the work/activities section. Should I mention in my work/activities section that I talked about this experience in my personal statement?
You can do that, but keep in mind that it isn't necessarily true that the same person will screen both parts of the application or have access to both sections. You might want to add a bit more, keeping duplication of information to a minimum, maybe adding more anecdotes, adding another insight, etc. I'm not saying to use the whole space, however. Just make sure it can stand on its own.

If this was a noncampus conference, and you did a Poster/Presentation, you can cite it under that designation. You might mention that a manuscript with the same data has been submitted to . . . in the same space.

Besides the info you included in your second paragraph, and the location (much of this will be in the header), be sure to include at least the first author and your place on the authors list (or cite all of them if you have the space). If you did not personally present, give credit to the one that did.
My team had a poster at an undergrad research club event, that I made the poster and stood next to my poster. Then, last fall (after graduation) I watched my professor talk about our paper at a psychonomics conference. I helped him field questions after the talk and my name was listed on the conference packet. The paper is submitted, so I like how you said to talk about it.

So far I'm trying to fit it all under "Research Assistant in Memory Lab" but it's really tough. Do you recommend a separate category? Thanks!!

My team had a poster at an undergrad research club event, that I made the poster and stood next to my poster. Then, last fall (after graduation) I watched my professor talk about our paper at a psychonomics conference. I helped him field questions after the talk and my name was listed on the conference packet. The paper is submitted, so I like how you said to talk about it.

So far I'm trying to fit it all under "Research Assistant in Memory Lab" but it's really tough. Do you recommend a separate category? Thanks!!
Was the Psychonomics Conference national or regional, rather than a campus event? Presumably your PI gave a podium presentation? Was the abstract of the talk published anywhere, like a supplemental journal?

Was the data presented in your campus poster event and at the Psychonomics Conference largely the same?

So I've been reading this year's thread and last year's thread and it seems like the general consensus is to not include any experiences related to "conferences attended" unless you actually presented at the conferences because it doesn't really add to your application except under "rare circumstances". So

1) I attended a conference for work (non-medically related) and the conference was the base of a curriculum I'm currently developing (alongside three other people) for a training that I'm giving for work. I want to include the fact that I'm helping to develop a curriculum that I will be using for future trainings as well as the trainings I currently give. So should I just list that under "other" or should I include it under "conferences attended"?

2) Whether I use this experience under "conferences attended" or not, what would qualify as a rare circumstance where it would be beneficial for an applicant to use it?

Thank you!!

I have 2 shadowing experiences and then my current job, which is basically a scribe.
Should I combine the 2 shadowing experiences into 1 activity, even though they were at different times? (It was just basic shadowing...nothing too different between the two except being at different hospitals and different times).
If I do combine, how should I fill out the start and end date sections?

So I've been reading this year's thread and last year's thread and it seems like the general consensus is to not include any experiences related to "conferences attended" unless you actually presented at the conferences because it doesn't really add to your application except under "rare circumstances". So

1) I attended a conference for work (non-medically related) and the conference was the base of a curriculum I'm currently developing (alongside three other people) for a training that I'm giving for work. I want to include the fact that I'm helping to develop a curriculum that I will be using for future trainings as well as the trainings I currently give. So should I just list that under "other" or should I include it under "conferences attended"?

2) Whether I use this experience under "conferences attended" or not, what would qualify as a rare circumstance where it would be beneficial for an applicant to use it?
You might consider listing it under Teaching, so you can talk about the other training you've done already(leaving it out of your Employment listing), using the space to show how you've grown in responsibility, and mentioning the conference as part of the prep work for developing the curriculum.

2) No. That's not to say you couldn't do it anyway, but I don't see that it enhances your application when mentioned out of the context of the Employment and Teaching you do.

I have 2 shadowing experiences and then my current job, which is basically a scribe.
Should I combine the 2 shadowing experiences into 1 activity, even though they were at different times? (It was just basic shadowing...nothing too different between the two except being at different hospitals and different times).
If I do combine, how should I fill out the start and end date sections?
Most list their formal shadowing in a single space under Other. You can enter the encompassing date span, using the most recent or the most comprehensive experience for the contact in the header, and then list the other in the narrative. Don't fill in the hours per week.

Example for listing shadowing: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12561811&postcount=848

Also, be sure the description of the scribing job has the word "Shadowing" in there somewhere.

Most list their formal shadowing in a single space under Other. You can enter the encompassing date span, using the most recent or the most comprehensive experience for the contact in the header, and then list the other in the narrative. Don't fill in the hours per week.

Example for listing shadowing: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12561811&postcount=848

Also, be sure the description of the scribing job has the word "Shadowing" in there somewhere.

Thank you!

Can I list tutoring a friend (unpaid), if I spent a significant amount of time doing it? I have more formal tutoring experience I can group it with.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry if these are dumb questions--

i'm going to put one of my items as 'academic recognition'. i'm going to put stuff like dean's list, graduating with honors, honor societies, etc.

question:

1) for something like dean's list or graduating with honors, you can't really put anything for organization name or hours/week, can you? what about for contact?

2) for the honor societies i'm just going to give the contact email for them. i'm assuming this is the correct way of going about it?

3) also, i'm thinking just to put myself down as the contact when for the academic awards activity, and then putting the contact info for the honor societies in the description. is this okay too?

4) for activities where you bunch a few things together under one blanket category, is it normal to put stuff like hourly info, dates, contact info etc summarized in the description for each item in the category? if this is the case, then what should i choose to put under contact name, title, contact info, etc since these are required fields? should i just pick contact info from one of the items from the group and put them there, or should i put a really generic, basic sort of contact down like myself? (again, i will be providing contact info for the actual items in the group in the description anyway, so would putting myself down as the contact really be a problem)

Last edited:
Is it OK to mention under the description of my research activities (one of my most meaningful) that although I enjoy research, I am more interested in a profession that involves human interaction (medicine). I am trying to draw a line between research and medicine since my PS emphasizes my love for science. Although I do have plans to continue doing research in the future (not MD/PhD though), my one and only goal right now is to become a doctor.

Thanks!

I am confused as to how to describe my activities. Should I focus more on what I did or on hardships/skills gained etc. or would the latter be more for my PS?

Also, I haven't received my MCAT (rewrite) scores yet but I am a Canadian applicant so should I until August for my grades or just submit with 2-3 schools (based on previous MCAT score)and add later? -- I am really confused about this matter!!

i'm going to put one of my items as 'academic recognition'. i'm going to put stuff like dean's list, graduating with honors, honor societies, etc.

question:

1) for something like dean's list or graduating with honors, you can't really put anything for organization name or hours/week, can you? what about for contact?

2) for the honor societies i'm just going to give the contact email for them. i'm assuming this is the correct way of going about it?

3) also, i'm thinking just to put myself down as the contact when for the academic awards activity, and then putting the contact info for the honor societies in the description. is this okay too?

4) for activities where you bunch a few things together under one blanket category, is it normal to put stuff like hourly info, dates, contact info etc summarized in the description for each item in the category? if this is the case, then what should i choose to put under contact name, title, contact info, etc since these are required fields? should i just pick contact info from one of the items from the group and put them there, or should i put a really generic, basic sort of contact down like myself? (again, i will be providing contact info for the actual items in the group in the description anyway, so would putting myself down as the contact really be a problem)
1) The organization is the name of your school. The contact is the College Registrar. Don't fill in hours per week.

2) If the Registrar knows about them, you're covered, otherwise, what you've described works fine.

3) Use the Registrar as the header contact.

4) Pick a title that covers everything in the space. Choose the most substantive or the most longstanding activity and use that for the header information, including the date span. In the narrative, say, "Also involved in:" and then number the other entries (reverse chronological order works fine), giving similar info as to what you entered in the header for the first item.

Is it OK to mention under the description of my research activities (one of my most meaningful) that although I enjoy research, I am more interested in a profession that involves human interaction (medicine). I am trying to draw a line between research and medicine since my PS emphasizes my love for science. Although I do have plans to continue doing research in the future (not MD/PhD though), my one and only goal right now is to become a doctor.
It is felt that it's best not to say anything negative about research in that entry as you don't want to inadvertantly give a vibe that you would not embrace with joy a future-offered research opportunity. Rather, elsewhere, say how you are "drawn to medicine because . . ."

1) I am confused as to how to describe my activities. Should I focus more on what I did or on hardships/skills gained etc. or would the latter be more for my PS?

2) Also, I haven't received my MCAT (rewrite) scores yet but I am a Canadian applicant so should I until August for my grades or just submit with 2-3 schools (based on previous MCAT score)and add later? -- I am really confused about this matter!!
1) It depends on the activity. What you did and what you learned or how you grew from the experience are good basics to include. The PS is about why you are drawn to medicine and how you tested it as a potential career through various experiences.

2) The answer to this question lies outside the scope of this thread, which deals solely with entering work and activities in the Experiences section of AMCAS. Read this and maybe search further in PreMedAllo:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11204408

Thank you for your reply Catalystik.

Can I put experiences that were required for my nursing program? I did a public health internship and various health related projects in the community, but they we´re required. I want to include them, but want to make sure it is appropriate considering they were required and not volunteer work. I plan on putting them under other.

Can I put experiences that were required for my nursing program? I did a public health internship and various health related projects in the community, but they we´re required. I want to include them, but want to make sure it is appropriate considering they were required and not volunteer work. I plan on putting them under other.
Listing them under Other if you feel they will help add to the appeal of your application is fine.

If I've had jobs working for my parents, but the jobs went unpaid as i was working for the family business, should that then be categorized as community service/volunteer?

Oops,

I came across this issue as well after reviewing my application I just submitted. I made one of my amcas work activities "Publications" and listed one submitted and two in preparation papers. These all had the designated authors, journal name, title and that it was in review or in preparation. But I really did not mean to be deceptive or anything but listed it in this manner out of ignorance. Will this hurt my application for looking deceptive or will they wave it off for meaningless information.

If I've had jobs working for my parents, but the jobs went unpaid as i was working for the family business, should that then be categorized as community service/volunteer?
NO. This is still listed under Employment-nonMilitary. You may not get a paycheck, but you are certainly reimbursed in other ways, like meals, a place to stay, possibly tuition assistance, etc.

Oops,

I came across this issue as well after reviewing my application I just submitted. I made one of my amcas work activities "Publications" and listed one submitted and two in preparation papers. These all had the designated authors, journal name, title and that it was in review or in preparation. But I really did not mean to be deceptive or anything but listed it in this manner out of ignorance. Will this hurt my application for looking deceptive or will they wave it off for meaningless information.
It will not be given any weight on the primary application, so be sure to include their acceptance, if attained, in a future update letter.

Someone else posted recently that he'd done the same, and the paper got rejected and resubmitted to a lesser journal, which makes it a bigger oops. Imagine how that interview conversation will go.

Does volunteering as a file filer at a hospital count as medical/clinical? It involved filing medical charts so that counts as medical right? I can smell the patients but I don't do anything with them except say hi when I walk by them

Does volunteering as a file filer at a hospital count as medical/clinical? It involved filing medical charts so that counts as medical right? I can smell the patients but I don't do anything with them except say hi when I walk by them
It sounds like it was Volunteer-not Medical/Clinical to me.

It sounds like it was Volunteer-not Medical/Clinical to me.
What if I chatted with them / kept them company while they waited for their treatment? This wasn't officially part of my job though

1) The organization is the name of your school. The contact is the College Registrar. Don't fill in hours per week.

2) If the Registrar knows about them, you're covered, otherwise, what you've described works fine.

3) Use the Registrar as the header contact.

4) Pick a title that covers everything in the space. Choose the most substantive or the most longstanding activity and use that for the header information, including the date span. In the narrative, say, "Also involved in:" and then number the other entries (reverse chronological order works fine), giving similar info as to what you entered in the header for the first item.

NO. This is still listed under Employment-nonMilitary. You may not get a paycheck, but you are certainly reimbursed in other ways, like meals, a place to stay, possibly tuition assistance, etc.

Thank you for all the time you've given me in answering my questions, Catalystik. Really appreciate it.

What if I chatted with them / kept them company while they waited for their treatment? This wasn't officially part of my job though
If you feel this unofficial role represents sufficiently substantive involvement to have an impact on your application, then you might make a note of it at the end of the entry about your nonclinical official role, mentioning the total hours, or even create a new listing with a different (clinical) designation. Hopefully, you have a contact who can attest to these interactions if you choose the latter course.

I've done undergraduate research and received college credit for it. Do I mention the name of the class in the title or description? On my transcript it says, "BIOL 554 Undergraduate Research." My other research experience is under a class "BIOL 466 Advanced Topics in Biology" where I'm signed up for the class but I worked in the professor's lab. Right now I put "Undergraduate Research" under experience name. Should I write "Undergraduate Research (BIOL 554)" instead?

Also, since I am out of space, I've grouped both experiences together under Research. Is it ok to group both since my two professor LORs are from both experiences?

Can I do a reverse chronological order by putting the most recent research experience contact info in the header and the other research experience's contact info, etc. in the narrative?

Thank you!

Any opinions on putting a hobby as one of the most meaningful experiences? I currently have 2 selected and I was going to leave it at that but was considering putting tennis as the last. The reason why I want to put this in is because it is a huge part of my life which helped me grow tremendously as a person....in fact I spent probably more time into teaching myself tennis/playing than I did studying during undergrad (which obviously I won't mention). On average I spend about 15 hours per week on it (it was more around 35-40 in undergrad).

I know the argument for writing an extra 1300 characters is that it might not mean more to an ADCOM than just the fact that I play tennis. But it has led to me volunteer coach two kids for a year/be president of my club at university (which I have already listed under activities).

Any opinions on putting a hobby as one of the most meaningful experiences? I currently have 2 selected and I was going to leave it at that but was considering putting tennis as the last. The reason why I want to put this in is because it is a huge part of my life which helped me grow tremendously as a person....in fact I spent probably more time into teaching myself tennis/playing than I did studying during undergrad (which obviously I won't mention). On average I spend about 15 hours per week on it (it was more around 35-40 in undergrad).

I know the argument for writing an extra 1300 characters is that it might not mean more to an ADCOM than just the fact that I play tennis. But it has led to me volunteer coach two kids for a year/be president of my club at university (which I have already listed under activities).

I'd like to hear what Catalystik says about this as well. I am also considering designating a sport as most meaningful. I was a competitive ice figure skater in college and spent about 25-30 hours/wk training. I only competed in amateur competitions but at the international level, so I was representing my country as part of an ice skating team (I'm not orginally from the US). I'm a non-trad so this was more than 10 years ago, though i still skate recreationally. I also feel that this has been a big part of my life and has shaped who I am today. I've learned many important lessons from that experience that translate into my life.

OP, I think it would be good to write about yours because it resulted in you taking on leadership and volunteer roles out of it.

Hi everyone (hi catalystik hehe). I have 4 very meaningful experiences. Can I please get some input on which 3 to choose? They are all very important and meaningful to me.

1. Spirit of Caring volunteer - made clinical rounds in the hospital - stopping by each room and spending time with patients (especially ones who were lonely). I met a lot of great people, and learned so much about the clinic and patient care through this experience.

2. Research - 3 years of research in a cardiac lab - my greatest educational growth came from this lab. Performed animal dissections, used animal model to record data, analyzed countless data, created poster, presentation, etc. A growing experience for me.

3. Leadership experience - I was team leader of a biodesign team. We created a prototype for pediatric sleep apnea patients. A 1 year experience - learned about the design of medical devices, team work, being a team leader, etc.

4. Work - General manager of a very successful auto business which my father owns. 5 year experience - met a diverse range of people, learned the art of business and management, discipline, hard work, etc.

I included number 1 (spirit of caring) in my personal statement; however, if there are 2 different readers for work/activities and the personal statement, I want to make sure that number 1 is read and highly noted because it displays my clinical experience at the highest level (which I think is a most vital experience for premeds). Thus, I really want number 1 in there to display my clinical/patient exposure and because it is much different than the others (even though it is somewhat discussed in my PS).

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Hi everyone (hi catalystik hehe). I have 4 very meaningful experiences. Can I please get some input on which 3 to choose? They are all very important and meaningful to me.

1. Spirit of Caring volunteer - made clinical rounds in the hospital - stopping by each room and spending time with patients (especially ones who were lonely). I met a lot of great people, and learned so much about the clinic and patient care through this experience.

2. Research - 3 years of research in a cardiac lab - my greatest educational growth came from this lab. Performed animal dissections, used animal model to record data, analyzed countless data, created poster, presentation, etc. A growing experience for me.

3. Leadership experience - I was team leader of a biodesign team. We created a prototype for pediatric sleep apnea patients. A 1 year experience - learned about the design of medical devices, team work, being a team leader, etc.

4. Work - General manager of a very successful auto business which my father owns. 5 year experience - met a diverse range of people, learned the art of business and management, discipline, hard work, etc.

I included number 1 (spirit of caring) in my personal statement; however, if there are 2 different readers for work/activities and the personal statement, I want to make sure that number 1 is read and highly noted because it displays my clinical experience at the highest level (which I think is a most vital experience for premeds). Thus, I really want number 1 in there to display my clinical/patient exposure and because it is much different than the others (even though it is somewhat discussed in my PS).

Thanks for your time.
As #4 seems the stronger of the two leadership experiences, you might leave out #3.

I've done undergraduate research and received college credit for it. Do I mention the name of the class in the title or description? On my transcript it says, "BIOL 554 Undergraduate Research." My other research experience is under a class "BIOL 466 Advanced Topics in Biology" where I'm signed up for the class but I worked in the professor's lab.
1) Right now I put "Undergraduate Research" under experience name. Should I write "Undergraduate Research (BIOL 554)" instead?

2) Also, since I am out of space, I've grouped both experiences together under Research. Is it ok to group both since my two professor LORs are from both experiences?

3) Can I do a reverse chronological order by putting the most recent research experience contact info in the header and the other research experience's contact info, etc. in the narrative?
1) I would not include the course number.

2) Yes.

3) That would be preferred.

Thanks for your time.

to be honest, I'm not a fan of your #1 as a most meaningful experience. Of course, it all depends on what exactly you did and how it affected you, but keep in mind that virtually everyone applying to medical school has that exact same experience (talking to patients, room to room). If you do include it, make sure you give a good example of a patient that strongly affected you, imo.

I think you should include the tennis as "Most Meaningful." I can think of many characteristics of a successful athlete that transfer to traits desirable in a physician. Use the extra characters to communicate that information, as well as the way it springboarded you into related activities.

I'd like to hear what Catalystik says about this as well. I am also considering designating a sport as most meaningful. I was a competitive ice figure skater in college and spent about 25-30 hours/wk training. I only competed in amateur competitions but at the international level, so I was representing my country as part of an ice skating team (I'm not orginally from the US). I'm a non-trad so this was more than 10 years ago, though i still skate recreationally. I also feel that this has been a big part of my life and has shaped who I am today. I've learned many important lessons from that experience that translate into my life.

OP, I think it would be good to write about yours because it resulted in you taking on leadership and volunteer roles out of it.
See above post. I hope you'll give consideration to including your sport as "Most Meaningful" as well. You've clearly already given consideration as to how this activity has impacted you developmentally.

As #4 seems the stronger of the two leadership experiences, you might leave out #3.

Thank you! And if I list it as a "work non military" experience, do they know that it is also a leadership experience? Is there not a way to select both?

to be honest, I'm not a fan of your #1 as a most meaningful experience. Of course, it all depends on what exactly you did and how it affected you, but keep in mind that virtually everyone applying to medical school has that exact same experience (talking to patients, room to room). If you do include it, make sure you give a good example of a patient that strongly affected you, imo.

I met a few great patients who I hope to talk about - a few scenarios that really impacted me in a positive way. And I am not sure what you mean with "virtually everyone applying" has that experience. I tend to think the opposite - true, everybody has ER experience, but to walk into each room on the floors and to sit down and really have a conversation with a patient to "lift their spirits" is not too common if you ask me.

And if I list it as a "work non military" experience, do they know that it is also a leadership experience? Is there not a way to select both?
They'll know because you'll pick a name for the experience with your work title in it and because your description will focus on that aspect of the job. You can't choose two designations. And don't list it twice.

Last edited:
Thank you, Catalystik!

I need input on a sentence in one of my activities. I wrote, "I observed routine laboratory procedures, including complete blood counts and urinalyses." Then someone pointed out that I should re-word it so that I don't have to use the plural version of urinalysis. The original sentence seems fine to me. But might I be wrong? This process is making me neurotic.

Sorry, 1 more question catalystik.

I am also part of a volunteer program called "nobody dies alone" - basically, I am on call for whenever a patient who is actively dying has no family or friends spending time with them. They would then call me to go spend time with that patient till he dies so he his not alone. I have been part of the program for 6 months, and I have only received one call, and when I got to the hospital for that patient, he was already dead. Because I haven't actively been a part of this experience (ie spending time with somebody who is dying), can I still list this as an activity? I have been on call for 6 months. I am still a part of it and I might get a few calls and good experiences before interviews..if I am able to list it, how would i describe it?

Cat,

Can you please clarify how much we should write in the description for shadowing. For one shadowing experience, I wrote about 500 characters. At this rate, I'll need six separate boxes. I'm assuming I'm writing too much? Any advice on what's key to include and how best I can format six shadowing experiences.

Right now I'm using this format...
Specialty
Location/hours
Description

I can afford to dedicate 2 boxes

I'm currently doing an undergraduate summer research program thing. I'm putting it under research/lab. But who should I put for the contact? Since I am listing the activity as ~name of research program~, do I put the coordinator of the program (some lady I never met) or do I put my PI/mentor? Another idea I had was to put the coordinator of the program as the contact but include my PI's contact info in the description.

Also, I will have to do a poster presentation for the research program. How can I include it in my app? Just mention it in the description?

What activities are good to put for hobbies? Coding? Video games? Movies? What about activities such as swimming, basketball, weight lifting, etc if they're strictly done for fun in my free time/with friends (ie no competitions or tournaments, not part of a church basketball team, etc). Basically there's no one to put as a contact and there's no way they can verify if it's true or not.

See above post. I hope you'll give consideration to including your sport as "Most Meaningful" as well. You've clearly already given consideration as to how this activity has impacted you developmentally.

Thanks for your encouragement! I am including it as my "most meaningful." Would competitive ice figure skating fall under Hobbies/Avocations or Artistic Endeavor?

I need input on a sentence in one of my activities. I wrote, "I observed routine laboratory procedures, including complete blood counts and urinalyses." Then someone pointed out that I should re-word it so that I don't have to use the plural version of urinalysis. The original sentence seems fine to me. But might I be wrong? This process is making me neurotic.
I can't recall that I have ever seen the plural of urinalysis used.

Status
Not open for further replies.