*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also part of a volunteer program called "nobody dies alone" - basically, I am on call for whenever a patient who is actively dying has no family or friends spending time with them. They would then call me to go spend time with that patient till he dies so he his not alone. I have been part of the program for 6 months, and I have only received one call, and when I got to the hospital for that patient, he was already dead. Because I haven't actively been a part of this experience (ie spending time with somebody who is dying), can I still list this as an activity? I have been on call for 6 months. I am still a part of it and I might get a few calls and good experiences before interviews..if I am able to list it, how would i describe it?
You can say what is true at this time, but I don't see that this availability for involvement adds to your application. Why not save it for Secondaries or update letters, if you are eventually able to take an active role?

Members don't see this ad.

Cat,

Can you please clarify how much we should write in the description for shadowing. For one shadowing experience, I wrote about 500 characters. At this rate, I'll need six separate boxes. I'm assuming I'm writing too much? Any advice on what's key to include and how best I can format six shadowing experiences.

Right now I'm using this format...
Specialty
Location/hours
Description

I can afford to dedicate 2 boxes
I think sector9 posted an example in post #2. And mine is here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12561811&postcount=848 You don't need much description, as adcomms know what shadowing entails. If the first one you mention was significant, put all the rest in the second box, or consider making them "Most Meaningful" so you have more space.

Last edited:
1) I'm currently doing an undergraduate summer research program thing. I'm putting it under research/lab. But who should I put for the contact? Since I am listing the activity as ~name of research program~, do I put the coordinator of the program (some lady I never met) or do I put my PI/mentor?

2) Another idea I had was to put the coordinator of the program as the contact but include my PI's contact info in the description.

3) Also, I will have to do a poster presentation for the research program. How can I include it in my app? Just mention it in the description?
1) The contact only has to attest to your dates of involvement, so using the coordinator works fine.

2) I like this idea.

3) In the Research description you can mention that preparing a poster for a campus presentation is required.

Members don't see this ad :)
What activities are good to put for hobbies? Coding? Video games? Movies? What about activities such as swimming, basketball, weight lifting, etc if they're strictly done for fun in my free time/with friends (ie no competitions or tournaments, not part of a church basketball team, etc). Basically there's no one to put as a contact and there's no way they can verify if it's true or not.
All of the above are legit to use. In this case it's fine to use yourself as the contact.

Also see post #1871 for expansion on including video games.

Last edited:
Thanks for your encouragement! I am including it as my "most meaningful." Would competitive ice figure skating fall under Hobbies/Avocations or Artistic Endeavor?
You get your choice. Either is fine. I think for you this is an avocation, but it's also an art form that you've shared publically. You could pick the one that balances your application best if you don't have a preference.

hi guys so this is more of a question that is on nearly all the secondaries asking about what ill be doing this year.

frankly, i do not know what ill be doing (ive graduated college) because im purely focused on my sept mcat now. the only thing i am doing is shadowing my uncle on the weekends at mass general in boston.. he said he will let me write a couple case reports to be published in a scientific journal based on the patients that i see him shadow, which is pretty awesome. Is that something that will be looked down on though? (the only reason i am able to do is because my uncle is a physician, so unfair advantage?)
I cant really state that I will be publishing x number of case reports in journal x over the course of the year can I?

Once my mcat is over, I plan on getting an EMT-B (because I always wanted to but couldn't in college due to my schedule) or an MA (less expensive) on top of the case reports/shadowing. i just feel that its not worth saying that I will be doing EMT-B or MA because training for those programs take like 3-4 months.. I wont actually working as an emt or medical assistant till probably February 2013...

do i need to find other things to do, like maybe take a few classes at Harvard extension (before people troll, I live in cambridge and harvard is like .5 miles from me), i really dont want to take classes because i dont have the money haha and my ugrad gpa was fine (3.7)

hi guys so this is more of a question that is on nearly all the secondaries asking about what ill be doing this year.

frankly, i do not know what ill be doing (ive graduated college) because im purely focused on my sept mcat now. the only thing i am doing is shadowing my uncle on the weekends at mass general in boston.. he said he will let me write a couple case reports to be published in a scientific journal based on the patients that i see him shadow, which is pretty awesome. Is that something that will be looked down on though? (the only reason i am able to do is because my uncle is a physician, so unfair advantage?)
I cant really state that I will be publishing x number of case reports in journal x over the course of the year can I?

Once my mcat is over, I plan on getting an EMT-B (because I always wanted to but couldn't in college due to my schedule) or an MA (less expensive) on top of the case reports/shadowing. i just feel that its not worth saying that I will be doing EMT-B or MA because training for those programs take like 3-4 months.. I wont actually working as an emt or medical assistant till probably February 2013...

do i need to find other things to do, like maybe take a few classes at Harvard extension (before people troll, I live in cambridge and harvard is like .5 miles from me), i really dont want to take classes because i dont have the money haha and my ugrad gpa was fine (3.7)
Your question about a Secondary essay and glide year activities doesn't fall within the scope of this thread. You might seek out other threads like this one that cover your issue: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=928436 or do a further Search in PreMedAllo using the term "glide".

Hi everyone!

I just had one question pertaining to 'meaningful experiences' part of this section (especially for our MD/PhD applicants out there).

Well, after finishing the extra two MD/PhD essays, I went back to the AMCAS work/activities section to choose my most meaningful experiences. The first two I chose were my study abroad experience and my work as a teaching assistant. But I am not sure if I should choose my third as either my clinical internship experience or my most recent research experience. The only thing is I feel I already wrote about my research in depth for the MD/PhD specific essays and it may be a bit repetitive. But it may come up as a red flag if I don't choose research as I know the ADCOM want to confirm a dedication to research.

For just a bit of extra info, my clinical internship description would state how it pushed me to get a position for the next year in the same field and continue with an emphasis in translational research. So its not totally about the clinical part, but how it affected my research plans for the year (slash I also wanted to let them know about my future plans).

Thanks a lot!

I just had one question pertaining to 'meaningful experiences' part of this section (especially for our MD/PhD applicants out there).

Well, after finishing the extra two MD/PhD essays, I went back to the AMCAS work/activities section to choose my most meaningful experiences. The first two I chose were my study abroad experience and my work as a teaching assistant. But I am not sure if I should choose my third as either my clinical internship experience or my most recent research experience. The only thing is I feel I already wrote about my research in depth for the MD/PhD specific essays and it may be a bit repetitive. But it may come up as a red flag if I don't choose research as I know the ADCOM want to confirm a dedication to research.

For just a bit of extra info, my clinical internship description would state how it pushed me to get a position for the next year in the same field and continue with an emphasis in translational research. So its not totally about the clinical part, but how it affected my research plans for the year (slash I also wanted to let them know about my future plans).
I've invited someone with experience in this area to comment. Please be patient for a response.

What activities are good to put for hobbies? Coding? Video games? Movies? What about activities such as swimming, basketball, weight lifting, etc if they're strictly done for fun in my free time/with friends (ie no competitions or tournaments, not part of a church basketball team, etc). Basically there's no one to put as a contact and there's no way they can verify if it's true or not.

All of the above are legit to use. In this case it's fine to use yourself as the contact.

So, about video games, I was wondering if you could go a bit more in depth about this. I like video games more than most and I get a bit more intense about it (as in following tournaments and limited competing at an amateur level). I'm very reluctant to put this hobby on my application just because it's somewhat of a niche interest that is stigmatized. I'm assuming most of the adcoms are older people who might not understand so I don't want to risk giving someone the false negative image of that nerdy guy who is overly obsessed with video games. Do you think it would be a good idea to throw this on my application?

Last edited:
So, about video games, I was wondering if you could go a bit more in depth about this. I like video games more than most and I get a bit more intense about it (as in following tournaments and limited competing at an amateur level). I'm very reluctant to put this hobby on my application just because it's somewhat of a niche interest that is stigmatized. I'm assuming most of the adcoms are older people who might not understand so I don't want to risk giving someone the false negative image of that nerdy guy who is overly obsessed with video games. Do you think it would be a good idea to throw this on my application?
I think you can include it without going into great detail about how intense your interest is, as adcomms mostly will prefer to see you engaged in activities that require face-to-face people skills. I think that many adcomms will have had experience with video games (as I do myself) and may seek to involve you in a discussion of them. Be careful of this apparent friendly invitation to reveal all. You don't want to come across as 'Guy Living in Parental Basement With No Real-World-Navigating Skills.'

I've read another adcomm opinion that it was OK to list WOW squadron Leadership under that designation on AMCAS. This, IMO, would not enhance one's application, but obviously, opinion varies. Interestingly, the advisee did not follow this advice.

I think you can include it without going into great detail about how intense your interest is, as adcomms mostly will prefer to see you engaged in activities that require face-to-face people skills. I think that many adcomms will have had experience with video games (as I do myself) and may seek to involve you in a discussion of them. Be careful of this apparent friendly invitation to reveal all. You don't want to come across as 'Guy Living in Parental Basement With No Real-World-Navigating Skills.'

So I guess it would be appropriate to just say that I enjoy playing video games and occasionally competing in community events and just leave it at that? I'm including hiking and fishing as well to my hobbies section so I hope that balances things out. Just one question, do I need to really be into these hobbies? I mean, I do them in my spare time when I feel compelled to but it's not like I dedicate a considerable amount of thought to them. For example, if a fisherman interviewer were to ask me what kind of knot I use to tie a hook in a given situation or what specific brand of jigs I prefer then I would likely flounder. :rolleyes:

Also, since I'm just throwing all of them into one list, what should I do about the date? I didn't start doing them all at the same time. I'm thinking of just throwing a random date on, would that be acceptable?

I've read another adcomm opinion that it was OK to list WOW squadron Leadership under that designation on AMCAS. This, IMO, would not enhance one's application, but obviously, opinion varies. Interestingly, the advisee did not follow this advice.

Following this advice would be fairly...bold to say the least. :laugh:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1) So I guess it would be appropriate to just say that I enjoy playing video games and occasionally competing in community events and just leave it at that? I'm including hiking and fishing as well to my hobbies section so I hope that balances things out.

2) Just one question, do I need to really be into these hobbies? I mean, I do them in my spare time when I feel compelled to but it's not like I dedicate a considerable amount of thought to them. For example, if a fisherman interviewer were to ask me what kind of knot I use to tie a hook in a given situation or what specific brand of jigs I prefer then I would likely flounder. :rolleyes:

3) Also, since I'm just throwing all of them into one list, what should I do about the date? I didn't start doing them all at the same time. I'm thinking of just throwing a random date on, would that be acceptable?
1) I think that plan works fine.

2) If you were a competitive fisherman, I'd expect you to know how to tie a lure. When it's just for fun, not so much, but you probably still could talk about your favorite bait for XXXX and strategy for catching them.

These are leisuretime activities, not your fulltime job. They are included to give a sense of your interests and make you stand out as an individual. If you haven't engaged in the activity in the past year, it's probably not worth including; by no means must you be involved on a weekly basis to make it worth listing.

3) While your start date could be the time at age 5 when dad first took you out on the river, it's probably better just to use the datespan for the college years to present and mention the true longevity in the narrative.

1) I think that plan works fine.

2) If you were a competitive fisherman, I'd expect you to know how to tie a lure. When it's just for fun, not so much, but you probably still could talk about your favorite bait for XXXX and strategy for catching them.

These are leisuretime activities, not your fulltime job. They are included to give a sense of your interests and make you stand out as an individual. If you haven't engaged in the activity in the past year, it's probably not worth including; by no means must you be involved on a weekly basis to make it worth listing.

3) While your start date could be the time at age 5 when dad first took you out on the river, it's probably better just to use the datespan for the college years to present and mention the true longevity in the narrative.

Perfect, thanks a lot for your advice! :)

I communicated with Lil Mick, who is in an MD/PhD program. He/she thought interviewers are more likely to ask about the meaningful activities and that they should be activities you can convey some passion about, like something outside of research, but also one great research experience. "Most MD/PhD applicants have had some awesome experience in research to make them consider tacking on another 4-6 years to their MD."

From this advice, it seems to me you should choose the Research experience. Keep in mind that the MD committee and the PhD committee could be separate and that the essays for the one will not necessarily be available to the other. This might help make you feel better about including some repetitive material. Still, try if you can to rephrase what you have to say in a fresh way, just in case.

Hi,

Hopefully I can get some help on these questions!

1) I was an undergrad TA for a cellular biology class my sophomore year. I had to create a lesson plan, review material, and teach a group of students once a week. The recitation itself was 1 hour long per week, however I dedicated much more time than that. There were 2 lectures a week that were 2 hours long. I couldn't go due to course conflict, but relied on podcasts of the course. For each lecture I would listen and take notes on every important detail, would usually spend 3 hours on each lecture making sure I was prepared for any questions students had. I spent probably 2 hours a week preparing for the recitation (made powerpoints, had to make quizes each week, etc), and probably 1 hour replying to any emails. In total, this comes out to be a 10 hour dedication.

Will it look fishy if I report 10 hour/wk average being a TA?

2) I have three abstracts that have been submitted on my research and I am second author on each one (first is the grad student I work with, it's a given that she is first author). When I report these, can I simply write "second author on three submitted abstracts", or should I give the title of each one?

3) Under current research, is it okay to have one bullet note on a project I am just now starting as long as there is no indication that it is complete?

Thanks everyone!
Josh

one more question actually!: My most meaningful activity was being a camp counselor at a children's summer camp related to digestive issues (crohn's, colitis, hirschsprung's, etc). The camp was half educational and half fun (well, completely fun, but you know!). I was in charge of a group of kids, however I had many other responsibilities such as making sure kids were awake, taking their medication, got to bed on time, assisted them if they needed help with their medical device, etc). I was definitely "close enough to smell the patient", however these weren't exactly patients. Most of them were not in remission at the time they were staying at the camp, can I still list this as "community service/medical"?

Last edited:
Hi,

Hopefully I can get some help on these questions!

1) I was an undergrad TA for a cellular biology class my sophomore year. I had to create a lesson plan, review material, and teach a group of students once a week. The recitation itself was 1 hour long per week, however I dedicated much more time than that. There were 2 lectures a week that were 2 hours long. I couldn't go due to course conflict, but relied on podcasts of the course. For each lecture I would listen and take notes on every important detail, would usually spend 3 hours on each lecture making sure I was prepared for any questions students had. I spent probably 2 hours a week preparing for the recitation (made powerpoints, had to make quizes each week, etc), and probably 1 hour replying to any emails. In total, this comes out to be a 10 hour dedication.

Will it look fishy if I report 10 hour/wk average being a TA?

2) I have three abstracts that have been submitted on my research and I am second author on each one (first is the grad student I work with, it's a given that she is first author). When I report these, can I simply write "second author on three submitted abstracts", or should I give the title of each one?

3) Under current research, is it okay to have one bullet note on a project I am just now starting as long as there is no indication that it is complete?

Thanks everyone!
Josh

4) one more question actually!: My most meaningful activity was being a camp counselor at a children's summer camp related to digestive issues (crohn's, colitis, hirschsprung's, etc). The camp was half educational and half fun (well, completely fun, but you know!). I was in charge of a group of kids, however I had many other responsibilities such as making sure kids were awake, taking their medication, got to bed on time, assisted them if they needed help with their medical device, etc). I was definitely "close enough to smell the patient", however these weren't exactly patients. Most of them were not in remission at the time they were staying at the camp, can I still list this as "community service/medical"?
1) Not if you explain the related activities as you did here.

2) A submitted manuscript doesn't add much to one's application, but still they are commonly commented on by applicants. The best place to do this is within the associated Research entry. Since you may not have much space left, the sentence you've put in quotes above would be fine. Once they are accepted somewhere, you can include those details of exact title with a formal citation in an update letter.

3) Yes, as long as it has begun.

4) I think you could spin the camp experience either way, depending on what category you need to create a more balanced or stronger application. If you decide on Volunteer-Medical/Clinical, that's fine, but be sure to emphasize those duties that related to the medical aid you provided.

Okay, that is what I was thinking too. One last thing is although I will probably choose my most recent research experience as most meaningful (as I was able to apply my previous experiences specifically to neuroscience, the field in which I want to do my PhD), I was planning on writing how scientific research in general has shaped how I think about science and medicine outside of the laboratory. Is this something that people do, or should I stick to talking about this experience in particular? I just feel that my research experience is rather cohesive and that the act of doing science has shaped me more then the individual experiences themselves.

I communicated with Lil Mick, who is in an MD/PhD program. He/she thought interviewers are more likely to ask about the meaningful activities and that they should be activities you can convey some passion about, like something outside of research, but also one great research experience. "Most MD/PhD applicants have had some awesome experience in research to make them consider tacking on another 4-6 years to their MD."

From this advice, it seems to me you should choose the Research experience. Keep in mind that the MD committee and the PhD committee could be separate and that the essays for the one will not necessarily be available to the other. This might help make you feel better about including some repetitive material. Still, try if you can to rephrase what you have to say in a fresh way, just in case.

although I will probably choose my most recent research experience as most meaningful (as I was able to apply my previous experiences specifically to neuroscience, the field in which I want to do my PhD), I was planning on writing how scientific research in general has shaped how I think about science and medicine outside of the laboratory. Is this something that people do, or should I stick to talking about this experience in particular? I just feel that my research experience is rather cohesive and that the act of doing science has shaped me more then the individual experiences themselves.
Since the most recent experience is part of what had this impact on you, I think it's OK to generalize a bit about the transformative nature of your research as a whole on your thinking.

I was formally offered a 1-year grant funded FT position as a Clinical Research Coordinator at a hospital, and I see myself starting work within a week, two weeks at most.

Can I include this non-military work experience on AMCAS, if I mention that this position is one that I will be starting within the month?

I was formally offered a 1-year grant funded FT position as a Clinical Research Coordinator at a hospital, and I see myself starting work within a week, two weeks at most.

Can I include this non-military work experience on AMCAS, if I mention that this position is one that I will be starting within the month?
Entering a future event in its own space isn't going to enhance your application as you won't have much to say about it in the description. While theoretically, you could enter it, since you will begin in July and AMCAS will allow you enter 7/2012 as a start date, I think you would do better to mention the offer of a grant-funded position as as Clinical Research Coordinator at the end of another Research entry (showing your progression in responsibility), or even at the end of the PS if you can work it in gracefully. You could comment further on the job in eventual Secondaries and in future update letters.

Entering a future event in its own space isn't going to enhance your application as you won't have much to say about it in the description. While theoretically, you could enter it, since you will begin in July and AMCAS will allow you enter 7/2012 as a start date, I think you would do better to mention the offer of a grant-funded position as as Clinical Research Coordinator at the end of another Research entry (showing your progression in responsibility), or even at the end of the PS if you can work it in gracefully. You could comment further on the job in eventual Secondaries and in future update letters.

If I began two volunteer experiences in June, should I not mention this in the primary? I have 10 hours for each one so far, but I'll continue those ad infinitum.

Also, is there a reason to total the hours of a particular commitment? I won't for employment or other ECs (tennis club, for example). But what about for volunteer positions?

Last edited:
I shadowed three different physicians, and was wondering how I should list them on the AMCAS.

I was wondering if it was ok to just list them in one category, and then just note their name/clinic/contact/speciality (there is no more room to note what I learned).

Or would it be preferable to list them in 3 different activities, with an entry on what I experienced from each?

List them all together under other. Label it physician shadowing or something like that. Describing them as you said works fine.

I shadowed three different physicians, and was wondering how I should list them on the AMCAS.

I was wondering if it was ok to just list them in one category, and then just note their name/clinic/contact/speciality (there is no more room to note what I learned).

Or would it be preferable to list them in 3 different activities, with an entry on what I experienced from each?

List them all together under other. Label it physician shadowing or something like that. Describing them as you said works fine.

Merging with Work and Activities main thread. Please search before posting.

1) If I began two volunteer experiences in June, should I not mention this in the primary? I have 10 hours for each one so far, but I'll continue those ad infinitum.

2) Also, is there a reason to total the hours of a particular commitment? I won't for employment or other ECs (tennis club, for example). But what about for volunteer positions?
1) Yes, you can mention them. Having begun, you at least know your responsibilities. If you were short on space (and had other experiences in that same category), however, you might leave them off in favor of activities that had a greater level of involvement, and save the new ones for Secondaries and update letters.

2) If something were ongoing, if you could not enter hours per week due to irregular involvement (other than hobbies), or of long duration, you probably wouldn't do that. If the activity was brief and the start and end dates open to misinterpretation (like both were the same month) it's helpful. And I think that for shadowing, it's nice to give a grand total. Other activities may or may not lend themselves to totaling, so use your best judgement. There is no requirement to do it at all if you prefer not.

Most use just one space. Post #2 has sector9's example. Mine is here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12561811&postcount=848

If one shadowing activity was particularly noteworthy, you might list that one on its own and the other two together.

I do not have much for clinical volunteering on my activities section. As far as clinical experience, the best/most/most significant I have had has been shadowing. I am also just starting my phlebotomist job. But I did volunteer at an ER and at a free clinic for approx 6 months, but with relatively limited hours (~2-3 per week) but that was about a year and a half ago. I left the following semester for DC, which is why I initially stopped. When I returned, I decided not to continue and did much more volunteering in non-clinical settings that I enjoyed and got much more out of. These were teaching/tutoring volunteer opportunities which is probably the largest theme in my application and something I have really loved and believe in.

The ER/Clinic volunteering was not very insightful or meaningful, as it was largely cleaning up empty rooms and helping with a few organizational things. But I feel like I have a gaping hole if I do not include some type of medical volunteer experience. Should I include it? I am also down to one spot left in my activities and could probably fill that spot with a leadership award from my Biology department.

I do not have much for clinical volunteering on my activities section. As far as clinical experience, the best/most/most significant I have had has been shadowing. I am also just starting my phlebotomist job. But I did volunteer at an ER and at a free clinic for approx 6 months, but with relatively limited hours (~2-3 per week) but that was about a year and a half ago. I left the following semester for DC, which is why I initially stopped. When I returned, I decided not to continue and did much more volunteering in non-clinical settings that I enjoyed and got much more out of. These were teaching/tutoring volunteer opportunities which is probably the largest theme in my application and something I have really loved and believe in.

The ER/Clinic volunteering was not very insightful or meaningful, as it was largely cleaning up empty rooms and helping with a few organizational things. But I feel like I have a gaping hole if I do not include some type of medical volunteer experience. Should I include it? I am also down to one spot left in my activities and could probably fill that spot with a leadership award from my Biology department.
Yes, include it.

Mention the leadership award elsewhere on your application, perhaps grouping it with an activity that was related.

Yes, include it.

Mention the leadership award elsewhere on your application, perhaps grouping it with an activity that was related.

Should I attempt to explain why it was so short-lived/why I didn't continue it? Or just assume that by explaining what I did, they will see into the reason why I chose to not continue?

As far as the award, would it be ok to list it under the major scholarship I had for undergrad? Or try to find somewhere else?

I am involved with a service organization that is associated with my church (I described it as a "faith-based service organization" without mentioning what type of religious affiliation). I had leadership roles from 2003-2008, then a large gap of non-involvement from 2008-2011 (had a baby and got busy with work, school, and family). I started again from 2011-present as a committee member. The community service activities that we do have not changed. How do I document this? Do I just put the dates form my recent involvement and indicate that I had a leadership role previously? Do I have to explain the gap? Also, the name of the organization only became distinct from our church in 2011. Prior to that, it didn't have an official, separate name and I rather not mention the name of our church. Do I even mention that it's faith-based or just leave it as "service organization?"

Thank you for your help!

1) Should I attempt to explain why it was so short-lived/why I didn't continue it? Or just assume that by explaining what I did, they will see into the reason why I chose to not continue?

2) As far as the award, would it be ok to list it under the major scholarship I had for undergrad? Or try to find somewhere else?
1) Don't make excuses; it is what it is. Try to emphasize any patient contact you did have and the positives of having learned about patient confidentiality, intrahospital disease tranmission, and OSHA issues.

2) That's fine, so long as the title you give the space applies to both entries within it, like "Collegiate Recognitions," or somesuch.

I am involved with a service organization that is associated with my church (I described it as a "faith-based service organization" without mentioning what type of religious affiliation). I had leadership roles from 2003-2008, then a large gap of non-involvement from 2008-2011 (had a baby and got busy with work, school, and family). I started again from 2011-present as a committee member. The community service activities that we do have not changed.
1) How do I document this? Do I just put the dates form my recent involvement and indicate that I had a leadership role previously?
2) Do I have to explain the gap?
3) Also, the name of the organization only became distinct from our church in 2011. Prior to that, it didn't have an official, separate name and I rather not mention the name of our church. Do I even mention that it's faith-based or just leave it as "service organization?"
Options for 1):
a) Llist the dates as 2003-2011, title the activity perhaps "Intermittent Membership and Leadership Roles with XXXX XXX (using the new name)," mentioning the time away in the narrative, but not giving a reason.
b) List the more recent date span in the header, but give the past dates in the narrative.
c) List the two time spans separately in two spaces, with their associated leadership roles, making the title you give each distinct.
d) List the membership from the past on its own, and carve out the two leadership roles for another space (not counting the same time of invovlement twice), listing the more recent in the header and commenting on the past role in the narrative.

You pick what feels most comfortable.

2) No.

3) Either choice is perfectly fine.

Hey guys quick question,

I want to include a conference that i have attended anually for 3 years. It is kind of a doctor/student peer mentor thing. I was wondering what the best way to enter the date for this was as under conferences, it only lets you put in one date. Thanks!

Edit:

Also, how brief / detailed should my descriptions for my non-most important activities be?

1) I want to include a conference that i have attended anually for 3 years. It is kind of a doctor/student peer mentor thing. I was wondering what the best way to enter the date for this was as under conferences, it only lets you put in one date.

2) Also, how brief / detailed should my descriptions for my non-most important activities be?
1) Enter the header information for the most recent conference. Then, in the narrative, state that you've attended annually for three years and give the dates of the other two.

2) See post #2, item 4 at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12260932&postcount=2 .

Options for 1):
a) Llist the dates as 2003-2011, title the activity perhaps "Intermittent Membership and Leadership Roles with XXXX XXX (using the new name)," mentioning the time away in the narrative, but not giving a reason.
b) List the more recent date span in the header, but give the past dates in the narrative.
c) List the two time spans separately in two spaces, with their associated leadership roles, making the title you give each distinct.
d) List the membership from the past on its own, and carve out the two leadership roles for another space (not counting the same time of invovlement twice), listing the more recent in the header and commenting on the past role in the narrative.

You pick what feels most comfortable.

2) No.

3) Either choice is perfectly fine.

Thanks! I decided to go with option 1.b. How do I account for the time?

1.) Do I leave the average weekly hours blank; or

2.) put the average weekly hours from 2011-present (about 1 hr/wk since the community events are held on a quarterly basis - I mentioned this in the narrative); or

3.) put 1 hr/wk for the header and mention the hours/week for the role in 2003-2008 (4 hrs/wk).

Thanks! I decided to go with option 1.b. How do I account for the time?

1.) Do I leave the average weekly hours blank; or

2.) put the average weekly hours from 2011-present (about 1 hr/wk since the community events are held on a quarterly basis - I mentioned this in the narrative); or

3.) put 1 hr/wk for the header and mention the hours/week for the role in 2003-2008 (4 hrs/wk).
For option 1b, I'd go with the third choice.

Would it be a good idea to list informal tutoring under activities? I've tutored a half dozen students in calculus I and general chemistry I/II, although I was never affiliated with an type of tutoring center or organization. It's nothing significant -- maybe 50 hours across a few years -- but it's something that I kind of enjoyed doing. Would I list myself as a contact for verification? :shrug:

Hi Catalystik,

I have 2 separate research projects, both are under the same laboratory (and same professor), and I was wondering if I should list them separately or not. One of them was my senior thesis research project (which I plan on listing as most meaningful), and the other was a 4-5 month research project as I was aiding one of the graduate students with his research. I basically gathered most of his data.

Would it be a good idea to list informal tutoring under activities? I've tutored a half dozen students in calculus I and general chemistry I/II, although I was never affiliated with an type of tutoring center or organization. It's nothing significant -- maybe 50 hours across a few years -- but it's something that I kind of enjoyed doing. Would I list myself as a contact for verification? :shrug:
I think it's worth listing, but since it was informal, it's best to use someone other than yourself as the contact. Is there an advisor or prof at the school aware of this activity? You might ask them if you could use their name. Alternatively, consider using one of the tutees. Last choice: yourself.

I have 2 separate research projects, both are under the same laboratory (and same professor), and I was wondering if I should list them separately or not. One of them was my senior thesis research project (which I plan on listing as most meaningful), and the other was a 4-5 month research project as I was aiding one of the graduate students with his research. I basically gathered most of his data.
Since one is 'most meaningful', I think they should be listed separately, if you have the space, and most particularly, if you are aiming for research-oriented schools.

So just to clarify, am I on the right track here with these work experience descriptions? Do I need to further explain what I learned from the experiences and how they could benefit me in medical school, or no? I really want my work/activities to be a strong aspect of my application. Here are a few descriptions that I listed:

"As a 2nd degree black belt and a 4-year state gold medalist, I was a Taekwondo instructor for children under the age of 13. Along with physical training, I focused my teachings on the importance of mental strength – the values of discipline, obedience, respect, and positive attitude. I also led and coordinated a team of martial artists to perform demonstration shows. Our shows consisted of board breaking, acting, sparring, and organized drills. My experience in Taekwondo not only taught me the art of self-defense and moral values, but the importance of creating a strong and happy community."

"As an Emergency Department volunteer, I admitted patients into the ER, transported patients to rooms, ran errands for staff, and assisted patients with blankets/water/etc. Because of my certification as an EMT-B, I was also given the opportunity to measure and record patient vital signs for the screening nurse." - should I explain more on patient interaction? How I communicated with patients/families etc? I feel like its too blank....or should it be short and plain like this?

" Using high-level technical computing language (Matlab), I constructed a new computer program for a Bioengineering research group that studies the electrical and mechanical properties of normal and diseased hearts. My program calculates the helix angles of all the muscle fibers in any given heart sample. This data could then be used to analyze the electrical propagation throughout the heart, and how these properties could cause heart disease."

I appreciate it, thank you so much.

Firstly, this thread has been of tremendous help to me, so i just wanted to say thank you for all the advice and support.
Secondly, I apologize if my following question was addressed, it was difficult to find it using the search feature.

I was originally planning on having three "Most Meaningful entries", but I was apprehensive regarding my clinical one, which I talked about in detail in my PS (albeit I discussed particular examples). I was wondering if perhaps since it was already included in my PS, I should not list it as most meaningful, and only have 2 most meaningful entries. Would this work against me? If this is the best route, would it be a good idea to mention in the description that the experience was significant, however already discussed in PS? Thanks.

Also:

1. I tutored my friends, family, and had a few instances where I met friends (girls :laugh:) on facebook and tutored them in math (usually for free, if not they bought me lunch or something). Is this something I could list as an activity?

2. I have a few rewards such as deans list, research scholarship winner, I am a tennis state champion from high school and I carried over tennis into intramural college sports, and I also was had an expert ranking in Chess since I was a kid. Can I group these into one activity? Should I emit any of them? Or should I just leave all of it out? I have 12 activities filled out, out of the 15. Thank you

Who do I put down as contact for freelance/self employed jobs? Is it weird to list myself as a contact?

Should I put down a scholarship? Deans list? Honor society membership? The scholarship isn't that amazing (like 2.5k a year), everyone has dean's list, and I didn't even pay the fee or agree to be inducted into the honor society. I ignored all their invitations and they stuck me in anyway and it''s on my transcript now.

Is it bad to only have 1 most meaningful? Right now I have only 4 activities not including stuff from paragraph 2 ^

Last edited:
Put the people who you frelanced for as a contact. if no one specific, put yourself. You have no other choice unless you designate a friend who is knowledgeable about your activities. I would put down the scholarship. Money is money. Put down the honor society, it is a good thing. It is better to have academic recognition than academic probation.

Looking for opinions on how I should group clinical volunteerwork I have been involved in. I have been involved at two different hospitals for the past 4 years. In each hospital I have worked in 4 different departments and in various capacities. In some departments I did just straight clerical volunteer work and in others I shadowed + helped around.

I am confused as if I should list what I did with each department separately (probably not...), clump it by hospital (so two sections), or organize it by strictly volunteer work v. shadowing.

Thanks!

Tried to search through the thread for answers to these questions and couldn't find them, hopefully they haven't all been addressed.

I was awarded employee of the quarter last winter- would it be appropriate to place this just at the bottom of my work description, or would there be risk that it could get skimmed over?

Also, I won a $4,500 scholarship during my junior year as an outstanding premed scholar in my university's College of LIberal Arts, and I am wondering if the amount is substantial enough to include in my description, or should I leave it out?

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Decided to not apply this year but had a question anyway.

I've been involved in tutoring since high school, but it's been off and on- I did it from senior year of hs through all four years of undergrad, both as a volunteer and for pay. Then, after undergrad it became a lot more sporadic, as I'd volunteer maybe once or twice a month, with big gaps in there too when I didn't have time. Recently it's been picking up again, on the order of once a week.

I don't have any idea of a total number of hours, since I'm a nontrad and I didn't even think about going to medical school until recently. How would I go about documenting this without being dishonest about my involvement? Obviously I'd like to put it down because it's my longest, most longitudinal activity (13 years) and I mention it in my PS but I don't want to overstate anything.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.