*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*

Started by sector9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we need to post descriptions of our publications/presentations? The titles usually pretty much describe everything, e.g., The Analysis of Pancreatic Aminopeptidase Imbalances on Digestion in Animal Models

What would my description consist of? Just a rehash of the title? :S

Thanks so much!
 
I've been heavily involved in martial arts for a long time. I've done a lot of things linked to it that could fall under multiple categories so I don't know how to list my activities- I feel like making 2+ activities might be redundant but at the same time lumping everything together into one makes me feel like I'm underselling myself.

I've practiced for over 10 years (hobbies), have multiple blackbelts (honors/awards), have worked as an instructor at a studio (paid employment), gave free self defense workshops to various children's groups (community service), was President of a martial art club at my university (leadership) and also participated in intercollegiate competitions as part of the university club team (intercollegiate athletics).

Should I go with lumping them all into one or creating multiple activities (lumping on a smaller scale....)
I will be using (one of?) the martial arts activities as one of my most meaningful, highlighting characteristics such as leadership, the ability to work with others, perseverance, goal setting/achieving

Thanks for any help!
 
What do I list as 'publication date' for publications that have only been submitted or are in preparation?

I don't think you can make entries for future publications because there is no actual date yet. If you are describing that Research in another entry, then simply explain as part of the description that you are currently in the submission or preparation stage for a publication. Leave it at that, don't project a specific date or even a specific month.

Later on in the cycle, when your work has been accepted and published, you should send an update to the schools you are still most interested in with the news of your publication (including a citation and date).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we need to post descriptions of our publications/presentations? The titles usually pretty much describe everything, e.g., The Analysis of Pancreatic Aminopeptidase Imbalances on Digestion in Animal Models

What would my description consist of? Just a rehash of the title? :S

Thanks so much!

Do you already have a Research category entry for this (you need to btw)? Then I assume your work is described already. In that case this title is fine for a pub/presentation. Just put the citation in the description box. If you also presented then describe the event/conference and perhaps what you learned from being there and presenting.
 
I've been heavily involved in martial arts for a long time. I've done a lot of things linked to it that could fall under multiple categories so I don't know how to list my activities- I feel like making 2+ activities might be redundant but at the same time lumping everything together into one makes me feel like I'm underselling myself.

I've practiced for over 10 years (hobbies), have multiple blackbelts (honors/awards), have worked as an instructor at a studio (paid employment), gave free self defense workshops to various children's groups (community service), was President of a martial art club at my university (leadership) and also participated in intercollegiate competitions as part of the university club team (intercollegiate athletics).
Should I go with lumping them all into one or creating multiple activities (lumping on a smaller scale....) I will be using (one of?) the martial arts activities as one of my most meaningful, highlighting characteristics such as leadership, the ability to work with others, perseverance, goal setting/achieving
Thanks for any help!

I would go with 1 entry. Definitely use it as a most meaningful. As far as how to categorize, what facet of your involvement was most important to you? That is how you should categorize it. May I suggest it not be the paid employment or the honors/awards. Pick one of the others to focus on: Leadership, Community Service or Intercollegiate Athletics.

Whichever main facet you pick to focus on, do briefly mention the others as well.

Also, do you already have the Honors/Awards category selected for some other things? In that case, add a description of this Award to that entry. If you do not already have that category, then create one to list this (so 2 entries total, but preferably 1 if you combine this award with another award).
 
Last edited:
I have a foreign degree from a top international university. AMCAS doesn't let me submit my transcripts, so all I have is coursework from my post bacc. Would it make sense to add a quick blurb about my BA, graduate work and GPA here?
 
I have a foreign degree from a top international university. AMCAS doesn't let me submit my transcripts, so all I have is coursework from my post bacc. Would it make sense to add a quick blurb about my BA, graduate work and GPA here?

Hmm...was under the impression that AMCAS wants all transcripts, foreign and domestic? Perhaps the foreign if in english or with official translation? IDK. I would call them (they are very helpful) to be sure. Also ask them how they suggest you include this work in your app if they don't want the transcript. I find it hard to imagine they would suggest using it as one of your activities in this section.
 
Hmm...was under the impression that AMCAS wants all transcripts, foreign and domestic? Perhaps the foreign if in english or with official translation? IDK. I would call them (they are very helpful) to be sure. Also ask them how they suggest you include this work in your app if they don't want the transcript. I find it hard to imagine they would suggest using it as one of your activities in this section.

Thanks for the suggestion, I didnt know that they could answer those type of questions over the phone 🙂

They definitely don't want foreign coursework transcripts. If you have a non US/Canada degree you apply for an exception with your AMCAS application to not include it. I panicked a little bit when I found this out, but I'm going to email the schools I'm applying to seperately to see if they want transcripts and one of my rec letters goes into detail about the quality of my coursework.

Annoyingly, they still want you to enter the coursework into AMCAS, even though they don't verify it :laugh: I thought I got away with not entering all that crap in!
 
Thanks for the suggestion, I didnt know that they could answer those type of questions over the phone 🙂

They definitely don't want foreign coursework transcripts. If you have a non US/Canada degree you apply for an exception with your AMCAS application to not include it. I panicked a little bit when I found this out, but I'm going to email the schools I'm applying to seperately to see if they want transcripts and one of my rec letters goes into detail about the quality of my coursework.

Annoyingly, they still want you to enter the coursework into AMCAS, even though they don't verify it :laugh: I thought I got away with not entering all that crap in!

Ok. I misunderstood and thought you could not include the coursework at all. If you are listing the coursework then you should be fine. Definitely do not also describe the degree in this section as an activity. Perhaps weave your other experiences abroad at the university into secondary essays.

Also, about calling AMCAS. Only do so if you do not already have clear direction on this (or anything else) after a thorough read of the instruction guide.
 
Also, do you already have the Honors/Awards category selected for some other things? In that case, add a description of this Award to that entry. If you do not already have that category, then create one to list this (so 2 entries total, but preferably 1 if you combine this award with another award).

Hey Kuntash -

Generally speaking, should we list all honors/awards under one entry? I was initially going to do one honors/awards entry for the Dean's List (all terms) and another for a different award I received. Would it be a better idea to list ALL honors/awards in the same text box?

Thanks!

-Bill R.
 
Hey Kuntash -

Generally speaking, should we list all honors/awards under one entry? I was initially going to do one honors/awards entry for the Dean's List (all terms) and another for a different award I received. Would it be a better idea to list ALL honors/awards in the same text box?

Thanks!

-Bill R.

Yes, list all of them in one box.
 
I have a bit of an issue. I'm non trad and have work experience that far exceeds 999 hours (it'll total out as a little over 5000). How do I put this in? Do I enter 999 and then describe below that I worked full time and in total worked 5000+ hours?
 
So I have been on dean's list quite a few times, but not every single quarter (they don't have a dean's list for summer sessions and I barely missed it while I studied abroad for a quarter). I read somewhere that you shouldn't write out how many quarters you made dean's lists, but instead bring up the times that you weren't on the dean's list and why. I find that this method might draw unwanted attention to why I didn't get on Dean's List for every quarter. What do you guys suggest I do...

"I have been on the Dean's List for eleven quarters while at xxx University."

OR..

"I have been on the Dean's List for every quarter while at xxx University, with the exception of the summer sessions and my time spent abroad in xxx."

The last sentence is what I have right now.
 
So I have been on dean's list quite a few times, but not every single quarter (they don't have a dean's list for summer sessions and I barely missed it while I studied abroad for a quarter). I read somewhere that you shouldn't write out how many quarters you made dean's lists, but instead bring up the times that you weren't on the dean's list and why. I find that this method might draw unwanted attention to why I didn't get on Dean's List for every quarter. What do you guys suggest I do...

"I have been on the Dean's List for eleven quarters while at xxx University."

OR..

"I have been on the Dean's List for every quarter while at xxx University, with the exception of the summer sessions and my time spent abroad in xxx."

The last sentence is what I have right now.

I just entered a bulleted list of semesters that I was on the Dean's List. Something like:

Dean's List
Spring 2009
Fall 2009
Spring 2010
Spring 2011

If you have been on the list for every semester, with the exception of summer terms, I think it would be acceptable to put:

Dean's List
Fall 2009 - Spring 2013

Or whatever the appropriate dates are.

Also: I have a question related to the Dean's List.

There are semesters in which I received a 4.0 but, for some reason, "Dean's List" does not show up on my transcript. At my school, any GPA above a 3.5 during the Spring or Fall semesters should qualify one for the list. Should I still enter those terms as being on the Dean's List even though it doesn't show up on my transcript?

-Bill R.
 
HI,
I just wanted to confirm:
Does the awards section also include scholarship (like the ones that are listed in you financial aid)?
If that section does include these scholarships, along with listing when we got them do we also list the amount (of the money)???

Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a bit of an issue. I'm non trad and have work experience that far exceeds 999 hours (it'll total out as a little over 5000). How do I put this in? Do I enter 999 and then describe below that I worked full time and in total worked 5000+ hours?

This makes sense. Sure.

So I have been on dean's list quite a few times, but not every single quarter (they don't have a dean's list for summer sessions and I barely missed it while I studied abroad for a quarter). I read somewhere that you shouldn't write out how many quarters you made dean's lists, but instead bring up the times that you weren't on the dean's list and why. I find that this method might draw unwanted attention to why I didn't get on Dean's List for every quarter. What do you guys suggest I do...

"I have been on the Dean's List for eleven quarters while at xxx University."

OR..

"I have been on the Dean's List for every quarter while at xxx University, with the exception of the summer sessions and my time spent abroad in xxx."

The last sentence is what I have right now.

I would go with the first sentence.

I just entered a bulleted list of semesters that I was on the Dean's List. Something like:

Dean's List
Spring 2009
Fall 2009
Spring 2010
Spring 2011

If you have been on the list for every semester, with the exception of summer terms, I think it would be acceptable to put:

Dean's List
Fall 2009 - Spring 2013

Or whatever the appropriate dates are.

Also: I have a question related to the Dean's List.

There are semesters in which I received a 4.0 but, for some reason, "Dean's List" does not show up on my transcript. At my school, any GPA above a 3.5 during the Spring or Fall semesters should qualify one for the list. Should I still enter those terms as being on the Dean's List even though it doesn't show up on my transcript?

-Bill R.

You should probably go with whatever is on your transcript even if you believe it to be inaccurate (as far as dean's list is concerned). You could ask your registrar's office to correct the transcript before sending to AMCAS. But the delay this will cause in your app verification process is definitely not worth it IMO.

HI,
I just wanted to confirm:
Does the awards section also include scholarship (like the ones that are listed in you financial aid)?
If that section does include these scholarships, along with listing when we got them do we also list the amount (of the money)???

Thanks

Yes, scholarships will go into your Awards/Honors entry. And yes, list the value of the scholarships, and what the criteria was to receive it (merit, service, diversity, need-based, athletic etc.)
 
I also was wondering if it is worth it to list extra curricular activites ... like club/campus members???

such as campus biology/chem society or campus karate/rugby club???

I am not sure becuase i was only member of this club, nothing big ... just attend meetings, some blood donation activities, and for the sports clubs just attend the classes and having fun...

I mean is it worth it, even if someone was just a member and joined it for fun ... or should i just leave this all out becuase med schools may not care. or may think i am just adding fluff,

THANKS
 
Billrothl's post question got me wondering....

The dean's list is it supposed to listed on your official transcripts?
Like i know for sure i was on that list every semester (becuase i got a letter) but the thing is that on my official transcript ... there is no place where it talks about dean's list.

So should i still mention dean's list in my application?

Thanks
 
If you already have 15 ECs then I assume at least one of those are for Awards/Honors? Can you add this in there?

Problem with not listing it is that schools will not see your transcripts (until you are matriculating). If you have other more impressive Awards and Honors and have no space to add this, then yes leave it off. Just know that many accepted applicants will have an Awards/Honors category.

Hey,

I think the problem is that I have 4 shadowing experiences. I'm going to merge heme/once and cardio into IM shadowing and then ill have room. For the contact number what should I put though, it needs to be a valid telephone number.
 
I also was wondering if it is worth it to list extra curricular activites ... like club/campus members???

such as campus biology/chem society or campus karate/rugby club???

I am not sure becuase i was only member of this club, nothing big ... just attend meetings, some blood donation activities, and for the sports clubs just attend the classes and having fun...

I mean is it worth it, even if someone was just a member and joined it for fun ... or should i just leave this all out becuase med schools may not care. or may think i am just adding fluff,

THANKS

Perhaps you can create one entry for all your campus clubs? Definitely do not try to break it up and make a big deal out of them if your involvement was minimum. Your clubs might help the adcom see a different dimension of you as a person and perhaps some of your hobbies.
 
Last edited:
Billrothl's post question got me wondering....

The dean's list is it supposed to listed on your official transcripts?
Like i know for sure i was on that list every semester (becuase i got a letter) but the thing is that on my official transcript ... there is no place where it talks about dean's list.

So should i still mention dean's list in my application?

Thanks

I believe some (most?) schools will indicate Dean's list on your transcript each semester. Billrothl's problem was different because it was listed for some semesters but not for others where he thought it was warranted. In that case, I am advising him to go with what is on his transcript.

If in your case, your school does not list them on transcripts at all, but sends you letters each time, then it is safe to list them based on the letters you received.

Hey,

I think the problem is that I have 4 shadowing experiences. I'm going to merge heme/once and cardio into IM shadowing and then ill have room. For the contact number what should I put though, it needs to be a valid telephone number.

Definitely merge your shadowing experiences if possible. And pick the physician you spent the most time with as your contact.
 
I have a unique question . . I had a dance company in NYC for years and I have no idea what category to put it under. It seems more important then listing it as an "artistic endeavor", since it was a job.

I currently put it as "leadership", but that still seems wrong??
 
Fo the campus clubs what should i put the contact as .... can i put the student life office for all or does it have to be more specific ... becuase some of my clubs are just ran by students


Thanks a lot Kuntash ... you are a great help!!!
 
My mom is disabled and I get paid to help take care of her. The money is taxed and since I'm pretty much doing a CNA's job (diaper changing, pill giving, cleaning), should this go as Work - Medical/Clinical or something else? I know it isn't in a clinical setting but it still has a medical part of it.
 
Maybe a silly question but if I was a TA teaching OChem, and it is in the TA section, should I repeat it in a list for the paid-non medical/clinic stuff?

Also with this TA, I was TA for two different classes in different time periods, what do I put for period of dates and contact person?

And as for general rule, should I repeat certain things that go under different categories, for example, Eagle Scout award, but boy scouting is a hobby? And if my Eagle Scout Award is one of the most meaningful, should I clump this award with other scholarships or make it a completely separate entry?


What about a lifetime event of being part of church. What should I put for hours? and Repeat?
 
Last edited:
For the hobbies section ... what exactly are the adcom expecting ...

I mean my 3 hobbies fall in soccer, an instrument, and pc building .... what exactly do i write about??? What about the hours if they are life long ... or instead of hours can i write how long i have been doing that?

Thanks
 
I have a unique question . . I had a dance company in NYC for years and I have no idea what category to put it under. It seems more important then listing it as an "artistic endeavor", since it was a job.

I currently put it as "leadership", but that still seems wrong??

Leadership or Paid/Employment-Non-medical.

Fo the campus clubs what should i put the contact as .... can i put the student life office for all or does it have to be more specific ... becuase some of my clubs are just ran by students


Thanks a lot Kuntash ... you are a great help!!!

Student life dean or someone in that office. Or you can pick one of the more important clubs and list the club president or faculty advisor. Use specific names.

My mom is disabled and I get paid to help take care of her. The money is taxed and since I'm pretty much doing a CNA's job (diaper changing, pill giving, cleaning), should this go as Work - Medical/Clinical or something else? I know it isn't in a clinical setting but it still has a medical part of it.

Yes, Paid Employment-Medical/Clinical.

Maybe a silly question but if I was a TA teaching OChem, and it is in the TA section, should I repeat it in a list for the paid-non medical/clinic stuff?

And as for general rule, should I repeat certain things that go under different categories, for example, Eagle Scout award, but boy scouting is a hobby?

Pick one place to put it. I would leave it in the TA section.

As a general rule, don't repeat stuff when you do your combinations. But I think the only exception is the Awards/Honors section because you have already described those activities elsewhere. So make things very brief and to the point in this section.

For the hobbies section ... what exactly are the adcom expecting ...

I mean my 3 hobbies fall in soccer, an instrument, and pc building .... what exactly do i write about??? What about the hours if they are life long ... or instead of hours can i write how long i have been doing that?

Thanks

Write about what you enjoy about these hobbies, why you decided to take them up, what you have learned about yourself, the skills you have developed that may be useful to a career as a physician. Stuff like that. But I am of the camp of reflective writing even on your primary.

You can also say how long you have been involved, hours of involvement and perhaps what skill level you are on too.
 
I tried reading through this entire thread to see if my question had been answered before but that wasn't working so here goes. I just finished entering all of my Work/Activities. Here are a few questions I have:
  1. I entered all my descriptions (except shadowing) in paragraph form. I just put a small blurb about what I did and what it meant to me. All the examples I have seen have been in bullet form. Is there a preference for one or the other?
  2. I managed to fill all 15 spots. My activities range from extra curricular activities, club leadership positions, internships, work experience, etc. I consider all of the activities I entered important but just want to make sure I'm not including too much. Here are the activities I think I could leave out if I had to:
    • Study Abroad: I talked about traveling, volunteering and cultural immersion while I studied abroad. Is this appropriate to talk about in this section?
    • Short term summer jobs: I worked in two hospitals for like 2 months each over two separate summers. One was in a medical lab and the other in an administrative department. My concern is that they were not very long experiences.
    • Hospital Patient Transport Volunteer: I honestly didn't do much and only have about 36 hours total for this one volunteer experience.
  3. Do I have to notify all the contact people for my activity that I am putting them in my application? Some of the people I have not spoken to since I did the activity a couple years ago.
 
I tried reading through this entire thread to see if my question had been answered before but that wasn't working so here goes. I just finished entering all of my Work/Activities. Here are a few questions I have:
  1. I entered all my descriptions (except shadowing) in paragraph form. I just put a small blurb about what I did and what it meant to me. All the examples I have seen have been in bullet form. Is there a preference for one or the other?
  2. I managed to fill all 15 spots. My activities range from extra curricular activities, club leadership positions, internships, work experience, etc. I consider all of the activities I entered important but just want to make sure I'm not including too much. Here are the activities I think I could leave out if I had to:
    • Study Abroad: I talked about traveling, volunteering and cultural immersion while I studied abroad. Is this appropriate to talk about in this section?
    • Short term summer jobs: I worked in two hospitals for like 2 months each over two separate summers. One was in a medical lab and the other in an administrative department. My concern is that they were not very long experiences.
    • Hospital Patient Transport Volunteer: I honestly didn't do much and only have about 36 hours total for this one volunteer experience.
  3. Do I have to notify all the contact people for my activity that I am putting them in my application? Some of the people I have not spoken to since I did the activity a couple years ago.
It really just depends on what you want to do.. I once read an ad com write that she prefers the narrative style, so that is what I went with. It also flows better in my opinion
 
Hey Kuntash, thanks again for your fabulous help. Another question regarding a description for one of my activities (volunteering in a pre-/post operation recovery ward):

"My latter two duties allowed for approximately half of my time to be spent in patients' rooms, directly interacting with them. The experience in general provided an exposure to what day-to-day in-patient care actually entails, while my conversations with individual patients provided a perspective on what their subjective experiences and concerns were like, bestowing a degree of sympathetic understanding I had not previously had."

I don't know if this is too picky a question, but do you think it sounds alright?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've tried to find someone who has asked these similar questions, but it seems my circumstance might be a bit unique.

1) I have grouped together my awards and recognitions be it from my university or fraternity. But I was hesitant of whether or not to list my athletic accolades that I received in high school because everyone is saying not to put anything from high school. In my circumstance I was the captain of our varsity football team my junior and senior year, while receiving All-Area, All-Division, and All-Conference as a defensive player. This was all prior to me becoming paralyzed in my left leg my senior year during a football game that basically changed my career path leading me towards wanting to become a doctor. I figured this would probably be pretty relevant, but I was not sure if it would be too much since it does date back quite a few years (2009). Any suggestions or tips would be really appreciated.

2) For my hobbies, I have my boating license and scuba certification and in my free time I do both as frequently as possible, but I was wondering if this would really be good to have in my application or if I should just focus on my artistic endeavors such as playing piano in my free time, or try to just group them all together?
 
For the contact's last name portion, did you include the degree along with the person's name?

e.g. Contact's Last Name = Smith, Ph.D.

or just Contact's Last Name = Smith
 
Guys, may I direct everyone to the "Search This Thread" tool. It is found directly above the first post on this page. (And it is separate from the "Search SDN" box at the top right of each page).

The "Search This Thread" tool is especially useful when there are so many pages in a thread like this one. No need to read every page, but definitely try that tool before posting.

Will be back soon with responses to the above.
 
So I did a year long internship for school credit at Legal Aid, but stayed on for three extra months as a volunteer. Would it be best for me to put this under volunteer-non clinical and explain that I did this for a year but that only my volunteer hours are included?

I searched the thread but didn't find anything. Any advice is appreciated.
 
Question about research and posters/publications

The work I did during my undergrad research resulted in a poster and two papers that are in the process of being published. I was going to mention the poster/papers when I talked about that research. Problem is I don't have enough space to include the references to the poster and papers in that box. Should I just say something like "References to the papers/poster will be provided upon request"?
 
Sorry if this question was already asked, I tried the search tool and couldn't find it.
But if I have one entry of academic awards/achievements, can I list that I graduated with distinction and have an ACS certified degree? The "with distinction" shows up on my transcript but the ACS certification doesn't.

Thanks!
 
Used the search function and found a lot of advice regarding grouping hobbies, but for naming a group of unrelated hobbies should I just say the experience name is "Hobbies"
 
For Work Description did you guys just make a list or did you write what you do in paragraph form.

General consensus is to write in paragraph form. It's more presentable and personal.

For the contact's last name portion, did you include the degree along with the person's name?

e.g. Contact's Last Name = Smith, Ph.D.

or just Contact's Last Name = Smith

Doesn't really matter. I think I just put last name, no titles. It's just someone who can confirm that you were there and did what you are claiming to do, it can even be a secretary or coordinator.

So I did a year long internship for school credit at Legal Aid, but stayed on for three extra months as a volunteer. Would it be best for me to put this under volunteer-non clinical and explain that I did this for a year but that only my volunteer hours are included?

I searched the thread but didn't find anything. Any advice is appreciated.

Are you listing the year-long internship as an activity in itself? If so, I don't see any problem with just adding a sentence at the end of your description saying that you volunteered there for an additional 3 months. If you're only listing the 3 months and not the internship, then in the description you can give a 1-2 sentence backstory saying you were an intern there for a year before the 3 months of volunteering.


Question about research and posters/publications

The work I did during my undergrad research resulted in a poster and two papers that are in the process of being published. I was going to mention the poster/papers when I talked about that research. Problem is I don't have enough space to include the references to the poster and papers in that box. Should I just say something like "References to the papers/poster will be provided upon request"?

Do you have an empty work/activity slot? I had this dilemma too, and I was told to make a separate "posters/publications" entry to list the citations for those things.


Sorry if this question was already asked, I tried the search tool and couldn't find it.
But if I have one entry of academic awards/achievements, can I list that I graduated with distinction and have an ACS certified degree? The "with distinction" shows up on my transcript but the ACS certification doesn't.

Thanks!

Do you have documentation elsewhere that it's an ACS certified degree? If so, then yes, list it. AMCAS "verification" with the transcript is just your coursework, it won't be cross checked with your work/activities section.


Used the search function and found a lot of advice regarding grouping hobbies, but for naming a group of unrelated hobbies should I just say the experience name is "Hobbies"

Yes
 
Hey guys, quick question here regarding a particular activity of mine..

I have 13 slots filled with really meaningful activities that include many of the available categories. My question is whether or not I should include my involvement with a Pre-health Leadership Council. Pretty much this council was established with the hope of bringing pre-health leaders (Presidents/VPs from different orgs) together.. pharm, dental, medical, you name it. We would meet a few times a quarter and eventually planned a health professions conference together. I like how this activity shows leadership (although I already mentioned elsewhere that I was the President of a few organizations) and more importantly, interprofessional relationships. My issue here is that I probably dedicated like 10-15 hrs with this group and that would be the smallest commitment on my app. What do you guys suggest I do.. include it or just let it go? My contact would be the pre-med advisor.

Also, should I put this under Leadership not listed elsewhere if I do end up including it?
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, quick question here regarding a particular activity of mine..

I have 13 slots filled with really meaningful activities that include many of the available categories. My question is whether or not I should include my involvement with a Pre-health Leadership Council. Pretty much this council was established with the hope of bringing pre-health leaders (Presidents/VPs from different orgs) together.. pharm, dental, medical, you name it. We would meet a few times a quarter and eventually planned a health professions conference together. I like how this activity shows leadership (although I already mentioned elsewhere that I was the President of a few organizations) and more importantly, interprofessional relationships. My issue here is that I probably dedicated like 10-15 hrs with this group and that would be the smallest commitment on my app. What do you guys suggest I do.. include it or just let it go? My contact would be the pre-med advisor.

Also, should I put this under Leadership not listed elsewhere if I do end up including it?

:shrug: I'd include it. It's all in the description. If you only contributed 10-15 hours but did a lot in those 10-15 hours, you can explain that in the description. I don't see how it can hurt you to include it. And yes, probably list it under leadership.
 
I do have an empty work/activities slot to include the citations for the poster/papers, but because the papers are not published yet, I thought we should leave them with our research description? But I don't have enough room :-( Do you think it's ok if I create another work/activites slot to include papers that are in the process of being published?
 
I do have an empty work/activities slot to include the citations for the poster/papers, but because the papers are not published yet, I thought we should leave them with our research description? But I don't have enough room :-( Do you think it's ok if I create another work/activites slot to include papers that are in the process of being published?

My publication entry had citations for a published abstract and an abstract that was submitted just a month prior to submitting my application. I was told it was fine to do that, but I made a distinct note in the description under the citation that it was "submitted to blah blah blah." Just my 2 cents...I'm not an adcom, this was just advice I was given somewhere on SDN 2 years ago
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmmm.....what if theyre not published at all tho? As in, it's in the process of being written?

Oh. That's a bit different from "in the process of being published," which is a whole process in itself from initial submission to final publication. In that case, do you even have citations for it yet? Can you squeeze a brief sentence into your research description, something like, "My work will be included in two papers for future publication"

You can always send an update letter to schools when they are submitted or published.
 
Hey Kuntash, thanks again for your fabulous help. Another question regarding a description for one of my activities (volunteering in a pre-/post operation recovery ward):

"My latter two duties allowed for approximately half of my time to be spent in patients' rooms, directly interacting with them. The experience in general provided an exposure to what day-to-day in-patient care actually entails, while my conversations with individual patients provided a perspective on what their subjective experiences and concerns were like, bestowing a degree of sympathetic understanding I had not previously had."

I don't know if this is too picky a question, but do you think it sounds alright?

Sounds great. You have woven a description of what the experience entailed into what you actually learned from it. 👍

Hey guys, quick question here regarding a particular activity of mine..

I have 13 slots filled with really meaningful activities that include many of the available categories. My question is whether or not I should include my involvement with a Pre-health Leadership Council. Pretty much this council was established with the hope of bringing pre-health leaders (Presidents/VPs from different orgs) together.. pharm, dental, medical, you name it. We would meet a few times a quarter and eventually planned a health professions conference together. I like how this activity shows leadership (although I already mentioned elsewhere that I was the President of a few organizations) and more importantly, interprofessional relationships. My issue here is that I probably dedicated like 10-15 hrs with this group and that would be the smallest commitment on my app. What do you guys suggest I do.. include it or just let it go? My contact would be the pre-med advisor.

Also, should I put this under Leadership not listed elsewhere if I do end up including it?

Can you include a brief description/lessons learned from this into the Leadership entry you already have? I would not create a slot just for an activity that I spent 10-15hrs on. Figure out a way to combine it into something else if you really want to list it.
 
Okay, so I've worked one summer about 4 hours a week UNOFFICIALLY for my dad in his private neurological practice. My dad paid me directly for doing work, but it was not official. Basically, I reviewed patient medical records, dealt with some billing and insurance stuff here and there.
Now, can this be categorized as "paid employment/clinical?" I'm assuming it can't considering medical schools can look up who was OFFICIALLY hired in the United States and when, and so I could very well be lying and they could be suspicious, considering the contact is my father.
I'm also considering wiping out this activity altogether, but it would be a blow to my application.
 
Okay, so I've worked one summer about 4 hours a week UNOFFICIALLY for my dad in his private neurological practice. My dad paid me directly for doing work, but it was not official. Basically, I reviewed patient medical records, dealt with some billing and insurance stuff here and there.
Now, can this be categorized as "paid employment/clinical?" I'm assuming it can't considering medical schools can look up who was OFFICIALLY hired in the United States and when, and so I could very well be lying and they could be suspicious, considering the contact is my father.
I'm also considering wiping out this activity altogether, but it would be a blow to my application.

If you were not officially hired, then I imagine it could present some issues with respect to HIPAA. Not 100% sure; may want to check with your dad. I think certain conditions have to be met to review patients' medical documentation, though, and if you did not sign the appropriate paperwork it could get both you and your father into some trouble.

If you're in the clear on that front, then I absolutely think it is worth mentioning. First hand exposure to medicine is never a bad thing, and I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with working for a parent.

-Bill R.
 
Last edited:
Is a lifeguarding job:

paid employment - medical/clinical
or
paid employment - not medical/clinical


I want to say the former mostly because of all the first aid needs I had to take care of (stubbed toes, cuts, splinters, lots of minor (but bleeding) wounds, etc) and the training I had to undergo and keep current/practice (CPR, first aid, AED use, etc)...but the pool patrons weren't exactly "patients" nor in a hospital/clinic.

Should it really be classified as "not medical/clinical" instead?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.