*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*

Started by sector9
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems to me that the repeated would make sense if the activity is not continuos (eg. every summer). But the total hours makes sense for continuos activities. Also, I believe the expected hours/total hours is something new we did not have last cycle. We could only put down hours per week and a time frame. Refer to the instructions (or call AMCAS) if you are concerned about technical legalities.

You have to come up with your own estimate for a hobby. Just be realistic. I think I've heard of people putting hours that when combined with their hours for other activities, things add up to more than 24hrs in a day. Obviously that is a no-no.

So, is mentioning hrs/wk a necessary thing in the experience description despite putting down total hours?
 
This is why they ask that you use a text only program if you plan on doing a copy and paste. I used prose only, no bullets. For paragraphs, I used a blank line. My understanding is that special characters that are not available in a text editor will not transfer over.

When I enter my activities in prose or in bullet form, it still clumps everything when try to print it.. Any way to get around this problem?

AMCAS just responded to an email I had sent earlier; the bullet-like formatting is preserved (I'm guessing because I used dashes, not real bullets?) and the entries appear as would in a standard resume.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was it on campus? Perhaps you can list your Student Affairs Dean. Was there some sort of informal faculty adviser or did your group ever talk to someone else about it for advice or for thoughts? Or perhaps you can list one of the past members or a friend who knew it existed? I really hesitated to list myself as the contact for anything. Try hard to find someone else who is ok with vouching for you, should it ever come to that. Only list yourself as the absolute, absolute last resort.

thanks so much for your insight. I remembered that we had a google group and use a gmail for the group, so I am using that.

Another question, I got this award that is given to one student in each college within my university, so I am not listing being on the dean's list because I think that this award covers it since it's based on academic performance and other things. Is this good? thanks again
 
I've held many different positions and run a variety of events for a service fraternity at my school, and this year the chapter members voted for me to receive our highest chapter honor. I'd like to include this award as one of my most meaningful experiences, and in order to actually utilize the space provided for the description I was thinking about listing out all of my positions and contributions here rather than separating it out into its own "Leadership" submission.

Is this a wise move? Or would those leadership positions serve me better as their own submission, where they might be more visible and not seen as lesser to the award?
 
Hopefully one last W/A question.

I have an activity where last spring I volunteered as a home aide for elderly individuals. The next semester, under the same program, I was assigned as a volunteer leader to a local food kitchen. Originally I grouped these under the same slot to save space since it was under the same program and it would make it look like my participation in the program had some longevity instead of coming off as semester long dedications.

Since I have 2 extra spots should I split these two up and describe them better individually?
 
Hello everyone. I am currently finishing up writing my "most meaningful" essays for a research project and started to become concerned that I was becoming "too scientific". Is there a particular balance to how in depth to get when talking about a project.
 
thanks so much for your insight. I remembered that we had a google group and use a gmail for the group, so I am using that.

Another question, I got this award that is given to one student in each college within my university, so I am not listing being on the dean's list because I think that this award covers it since it's based on academic performance and other things. Is this good? thanks again

Don't worry about the Dean's List. They'll see your high GPA and assume it. Many people will be on the Dean's List anyway, so it's nothing unique.

I've held many different positions and run a variety of events for a service fraternity at my school, and this year the chapter members voted for me to receive our highest chapter honor. I'd like to include this award as one of my most meaningful experiences, and in order to actually utilize the space provided for the description I was thinking about listing out all of my positions and contributions here rather than separating it out into its own "Leadership" submission.

Is this a wise move? Or would those leadership positions serve me better as their own submission, where they might be more visible and not seen as lesser to the award?

I think it's better to make it all encompassing rather than to single it out as a leadership position, to give it some depth. Just make sure to highlight the award with your words and to describe it in a proper location (such as the ending, making it climatic?). That way it won't get buried.

Hopefully one last W/A question.

I have an activity where last spring I volunteered as a home aide for elderly individuals. The next semester, under the same program, I was assigned as a volunteer leader to a local food kitchen. Originally I grouped these under the same slot to save space since it was under the same program and it would make it look like my participation in the program had some longevity instead of coming off as semester long dedications.

Since I have 2 extra spots should I split these two up and describe them better individually?

There's definitely pros/cons to each. Splitting it up looks less significant. Then again, when you split it up you can mention that these were both under the same program. Or indicate that using descriptive titles. If you have a lot to say about both experiences, definitely do it!

Hello everyone. I am currently finishing up writing my "most meaningful" essays for a research project and started to become concerned that I was becoming "too scientific". Is there a particular balance to how in depth to get when talking about a project.

I felt like this a lot too. Try to focus on what you did and how you grew from it. Explain your project in simplified terms that people can relate to, since you don't have much space.
 
Hey Everybody,

I was self-employed as a personal trainer for several years and consider this to be one of my "most meaningful" experiences. Who might I list as a contact? Obviously I can't list myself, and listing several dozen clients wouldn't make any sense either.

Appreciate any advice.

-Bill R.
 
I have 13/15 of the boxes done, and I'm wondering on the last 2. Here are my thoughts:

I had time in a university's cadaver lab while I was a senior in high school and attending community college (simultaneously). I found that I enjoyed human anatomy and was fascinated with the human body. I ended up majoring in human biology, in part, because of this experience. Worth mentioning?

I volunteered at the Humane Society. I didn't log a huge amount of hours there, so I'm wondering if I should even mention this.

I privately tutor physics. Is this worth mentioning?

I think my other 13 are solid, so I'd really like some advice on the last 2.
 
i spent a summer teaching + mentoring middle schoolers from underserved schools.

anyway, does that fall into work, teaching/tutoring, or community service (nonclinical)? asking because technically i was paid... but it wasn't even remotely close to minimum wage, just a living stipend. i suppose it is teaching/tutoring, but then i read on an earlier response that teaching/tutoring is more for your peers (as in TAing a course)?

also, what is peace corps considered? work or community service? i want to say community service, but idk. my friend and i are debating. 😛

thank you in advance. 🙂
 
Originally posted on the wrong thread:

A question for you all - I am a non-trad applicant with some interesting, health-related ECs but little direct clinical experience. I have done 4 hours of shadowing, and while I plan to do a great deal more before my interviews *if they come, fingers crossed 😉* I feel like I should at least put on the activities that I have done some shadowing - and even had an experience in line with my medical interest. My concern is that the adcoms will see 4 hours and laugh.

What do you think? Thanks for your help!
 
Originally posted on the wrong thread:

A question for you all - I am a non-trad applicant with some interesting, health-related ECs but little direct clinical experience. I have done 4 hours of shadowing, and while I plan to do a great deal more before my interviews *if they come, fingers crossed 😉* I feel like I should at least put on the activities that I have done some shadowing - and even had an experience in line with my medical interest. My concern is that the adcoms will see 4 hours and laugh.

What do you think? Thanks for your help!

It definitely doesn't help you to omit that if you have no other clinical experience.
 
So when we print our application is it exactly what it will look like to Adcoms? I copied form word but everything was just prose no dashes or anything just letters and spaces. It all appears normal I just don't want to submit and some freaky crap happens because I used word..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many hours should I list for an award that I received? Should I put 0 hours?

What about a presentation that I did? Can I put 1 hour for presenting it or should I also include the time I spent preparing the presentation?
 
I am trying to enter several leadership positions under one entry. These positions are held at different times and with different hours. When I try to reflect these dates/hours by using the repeat function, AMCAS tells be 2nd start date cannot be earlier than 1st end date, etc.

How should I enter dates for several activities grouped together in one entry? Thank you.
 
I've wondered this for a while, but I guess I'll finally ask. How important are our Work/Activity descriptions ultimately? I'm assuming adcoms will go through these fairly quickly, and I really don't think I'll ever get these descriptions to be perfect.

It is acceptable if we get the general idea across, and then hopefully expand in later interviews?
 
thanks so much for your insight. I remembered that we had a google group and use a gmail for the group, so I am using that.

Another question, I got this award that is given to one student in each college within my university, so I am not listing being on the dean's list because I think that this award covers it since it's based on academic performance and other things. Is this good? thanks again

Always list your dean's lists.

I've held many different positions and run a variety of events for a service fraternity at my school, and this year the chapter members voted for me to receive our highest chapter honor. I'd like to include this award as one of my most meaningful experiences, and in order to actually utilize the space provided for the description I was thinking about listing out all of my positions and contributions here rather than separating it out into its own "Leadership" submission.

Is this a wise move? Or would those leadership positions serve me better as their own submission, where they might be more visible and not seen as lesser to the award?

You should make an entry for this service fraternity (if you haven't already). Describe all your activities with it, including the award you received. Then use this entire entry as a most significant. I wouldn't use just an award as a most significant activity (since it is not really an activity). Plus for the sake of modesty and all, your awards should be very simply described, don't make a big deal out of them. Since really, you should consider certain things significant to your development even if you did not get an award. (I'm just trying to think like an adcom here, but you get the picture). I had an Award/Honors category where I listed all of them and described each with one sentence at most. I used other things for my most significant activities.

Hopefully one last W/A question.

I have an activity where last spring I volunteered as a home aide for elderly individuals. The next semester, under the same program, I was assigned as a volunteer leader to a local food kitchen. Originally I grouped these under the same slot to save space since it was under the same program and it would make it look like my participation in the program had some longevity instead of coming off as semester long dedications.

Since I have 2 extra spots should I split these two up and describe them better individually?

Quality over quantity. So I would do one entry for the entire program as a year long deal, and then as part of describing, you can explain the two different portions. If you already do not have a leadership category, then this would qualify especially if you are able to focus on the volunteer leader aspect of the program.

Hello everyone. I am currently finishing up writing my "most meaningful" essays for a research project and started to become concerned that I was becoming "too scientific". Is there a particular balance to how in depth to get when talking about a project.

Do not get too technical. They want to know what you learned from it that may be helpful to your career as a physician. They do not want to know how to repeat your experiments.

Hey Everybody,

I was self-employed as a personal trainer for several years and consider this to be one of my "most meaningful" experiences. Who might I list as a contact? Obviously I can't list myself, and listing several dozen clients wouldn't make any sense either.

Appreciate any advice.

-Bill R.

Pick your best client. The schools will not call or email them, but just in case someone decides to, make sure it is the client that that would give you the most glowing reviews.

I have 13/15 of the boxes done, and I'm wondering on the last 2. Here are my thoughts:

I had time in a university's cadaver lab while I was a senior in high school and attending community college (simultaneously). I found that I enjoyed human anatomy and was fascinated with the human body. I ended up majoring in human biology, in part, because of this experience. Worth mentioning?

I volunteered at the Humane Society. I didn't log a huge amount of hours there, so I'm wondering if I should even mention this.

I privately tutor physics. Is this worth mentioning?

I think my other 13 are solid, so I'd really like some advice on the last 2.

The cadaver lab work (high school sort of/sort of not) and the work with the Humane Society (little hours), I would hold onto for secondaries (but only use if either fits a prompt specifically and you have nothing else to use). But for primary AMCAS purposes, Teaching/Tutoring would probably be more valued, especially if you do not already have such an entry. Quality over quantity. 14 ECs is just fine.

i spent a summer teaching + mentoring middle schoolers from underserved schools.

anyway, does that fall into work, teaching/tutoring, or community service (nonclinical)? asking because technically i was paid... but it wasn't even remotely close to minimum wage, just a living stipend. i suppose it is teaching/tutoring, but then i read on an earlier response that teaching/tutoring is more for your peers (as in TAing a course)?

also, what is peace corps considered? work or community service? i want to say community service, but idk. my friend and i are debating. 😛

thank you in advance. 🙂

I would use Teaching/Tutoring. I don't think it matters what age you teach. Peace Corps is community service.

Originally posted on the wrong thread:

A question for you all - I am a non-trad applicant with some interesting, health-related ECs but little direct clinical experience. I have done 4 hours of shadowing, and while I plan to do a great deal more before my interviews *if they come, fingers crossed 😉* I feel like I should at least put on the activities that I have done some shadowing - and even had an experience in line with my medical interest. My concern is that the adcoms will see 4 hours and laugh.

What do you think? Thanks for your help!

You are going to have a difficult time getting any interviews with no clinical experience but 4 hours of shadowing at the time of submission. I wouldn't even bother listing that. Significant clinical experience (at least 100+ hours) is an unspoken requirement for entering this field, and rightfully so. I guess unless you have baller stats or something. To be blunt, I would say you are not ready to apply this year. Not sure what else to say, sorry.

So when we print our application is it exactly what it will look like to Adcoms? I copied form word but everything was just prose no dashes or anything just letters and spaces. It all appears normal I just don't want to submit and some freaky crap happens because I used word..

Not sure what they see when they print. But if you used all prose, you should be fine. I would copy out of word and past it into a text only program first, and then make the transfer into AMCAS from that. Just to be on the safe side.

How many hours should I list for an award that I received? Should I put 0 hours?

What about a presentation that I did? Can I put 1 hour for presenting it or should I also include the time I spent preparing the presentation?

Yes, 0 hours for the Award. For the Presentation, I would include time used for preparing. But don't go over board. Also, indicate in the description that you spent X hours preparing by doing A,B,C, so it is clear that you are not trying to say you actually presented for all those hours.

Should I use AMA style to cite my publication since this is what adcoms might be used to? Thank you!

Sure. Unless the AMCAS instructions say otherwise.

I am trying to enter several leadership positions under one entry. These positions are held at different times and with different hours. When I try to reflect these dates/hours by using the repeat function, AMCAS tells be 2nd start date cannot be earlier than 1st end date, etc.

How should I enter dates for several activities grouped together in one entry? Thank you.

I believe there is now a total hours function? In that case, use that plus a blanket time period covering all of them. And then in the description, indicate that there were several positions with different start dates over that time period. I don't think you need to list each start and end date, as long as the total hours is accurate.
 
Last edited:
I've wondered this for a while, but I guess I'll finally ask. How important are our Work/Activity descriptions ultimately? I'm assuming adcoms will go through these fairly quickly, and I really don't think I'll ever get these descriptions to be perfect.

It is acceptable if we get the general idea across, and then hopefully expand in later interviews?

I feel they are very important. Almost at the level of your PS and secondaries. This is because everything you write, you can control. Unlike your GPA/MCAT/LORs which at this point are most likely set in stone.

Your descriptions are your chance (along with the PS and secondaries) to help them get to know you to decide if they want to bring you in for an interview. I've heard some adcoms go through this section with a fine tooth comb and red ink. And your file will get passed around to different members of the committee before you get the nod for an interview or acceptance. Don't miss any opportunity to stand out. In fact it may be detrimental to your app if you do not put any effort into this section. But at some point you have to let go if you feel you have done your best work.
 
Hi! I'm trying to decide how to categorize my honors thesis. It is an English thesis so I'm not sure if I can put that under "Research/Lab" or something else. It is already listed in my list of "honors and awards" that includes other things like phi beta kappa. But I wanted to have space to describe the thesis in a little more detail so I want it to be separate also.
 
Hi! I'm trying to decide how to categorize my honors thesis. It is an English thesis so I'm not sure if I can put that under "Research/Lab" or something else. It is already listed in my list of "honors and awards" that includes other things like phi beta kappa. But I wanted to have space to describe the thesis in a little more detail so I want it to be separate also.

I would find a way to only mention it once. If that means taking it out of your "honors and awards" section, I'd do that. If that means not making another section for it, I would do that.

I would be a little hesitant about holding that up as a badge. I mean... we all did senior theses. If you think it's worth mentioning, make sure you explain why it's important. They will not understand unless you do.
 
Hi! I'm trying to decide how to categorize my honors thesis. It is an English thesis so I'm not sure if I can put that under "Research/Lab" or something else. It is already listed in my list of "honors and awards" that includes other things like phi beta kappa. But I wanted to have space to describe the thesis in a little more detail so I want it to be separate also.

Was it a requirement completed as part of English honors coursework that is already listed in your coursework section? Then just the Honors listing in this section will probably be enough.

If it was not a part of required cousework, then you can list it here are research if you feel you had the standard hypothesis, results, conclusions. Know that most entries for the Research category will be science based (traditional or social science).
 
If I have more than one slot allotted for research and I want to my research to be considered most meaningful, would it be appropriate to just choose one of the research slots as most meaningful and talk about all my research as a whole and not just that specific project?

I hope this makes sense!
 
If I have more than one slot allotted for research and I want to my research to be considered most meaningful, would it be appropriate to just choose one of the research slots as most meaningful and talk about all my research as a whole and not just that specific project?

I hope this makes sense!

I think it's always a more powerful story if you be specific.

Research meant a lot to me because...

Working with Dr. Smith at UCLA in the lab meant a lot to me because...
 
So for a couple of my activities (like cooking) I have put just the number of hours per week I spend rather than trying some crazy estimate in the totals space and then I mention in the description that this is the amount per week. However, after looking at some of the other posts I am beginning to wonder if this is such a good idea... should I just go ahead with it in that format or should I try to calculate out some rough estimate?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ha, well I had an extra two spaces and filled it up with a pre-med health society and ghost hunting.
 
A 1000 pardons if some of this has been answered before:

How do I list 'hours' for awards? Like, the hour it took to fill out an application? I've read that schools want to know about things like Deans List - what sort of hours do I put down for that? Zero? The two minutes it took it read that off my transcript? The entire semester it took to earn the grades?

Should I list the research I did as a PhD student under 'research' or 'work experience'? I mean, I got paid as a university employee while I did research.

I won a two year training grant from the NIH when I was a PhD student. Are training grants 'honors/awards/recognitions'? And yet again, the hours question. I guess it took me about five hours to fill out the application - is that what they want?

If I make a 'general awards' category with all my academic awards listed, how do I list a contact name for that? Myself?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
So for a couple of my activities (like cooking) I have put just the number of hours per week I spend rather than trying some crazy estimate in the totals space and then I mention in the description that this is the amount per week. However, after looking at some of the other posts I am beginning to wonder if this is such a good idea... should I just go ahead with it in that format or should I try to calculate out some rough estimate?

If the system gives you options, then pick one (or both if it makes sense). I don't think it matters which you do, as long as you convey how involved you have been with the activity.

A 1000 pardons if some of this has been answered before:

How do I list 'hours' for awards? Like, the hour it took to fill out an application? I've read that schools want to know about things like Deans List - what sort of hours do I put down for that? Zero? The two minutes it took it read that off my transcript? The entire semester it took to earn the grades?

Should I list the research I did as a PhD student under 'research' or 'work experience'? I mean, I got paid as a university employee while I did research.

I won a two year training grant from the NIH when I was a PhD student. Are training grants 'honors/awards/recognitions'? And yet again, the hours question. I guess it took me about five hours to fill out the application - is that what they want?

If I make a 'general awards' category with all my academic awards listed, how do I list a contact name for that? Myself?

Thanks!

Honors and Awards when listed as stand alones should be 0 hours.

You always want to use the Research category whenever possible. Explain in the description that it was paid/or you got a stipend.

If you list the grant as an Award, without mention of exactly what you did at the NIH, then put 0 hours. If it is within a description of your NIH activities, then put the hours involved in doing the work for which the award was for.

If they were mostly school based, list the Registrar's name and contact info. If they were mostly work based, list a supervisor or the HR dept. You have to pick one contact even if there were several schools or places involved. I would go with the contact for the most significant award or honor.
 
Thanks for the info!

If they were mostly school based, list the Registrar's name and contact info. If they were mostly work based, list a supervisor or the HR dept. You have to pick one contact even if there were several schools or places involved. I would go with the contact for the most significant award or honor.

There's actually a lot of them from all over the place and multiple universities as I had transferred during undergrad. What a bummer. I guess I can put down Notre Dame's registrar.
 
So.. AMCAS has had a delay and we won't be able to submit until the 10th. I was so excited to get it over with...bummer.
 
I want to list a work experience on my application. I am a phone technician that unlocks phones and modifies operating systems as well as replacing broken screens and power buttons. The problem is that I am self employed and do all my work through craigslist. Who would I list as a contact? Myself?
 
I want to list a work experience on my application. I am a phone technician that unlocks phones and modifies operating systems as well as replacing broken screens and power buttons. The problem is that I am self employed and do all my work through craigslist. Who would I list as a contact? Myself?

List the client that you believe would give you a glowing review in the very unlikely event they are contacted.
 
Hey everyone,

I'm really sorry because I am sure this has been asked ad nauseam but haven't found it after skimming the thread and reading the first post but:


1. LizzyM, Catalystik, etc. have emphasized succinct writing style where you describe the activity without lessons being involved but what about the most meaningful activities? I think I will have 2-3 of these. Is it ok to elaborate on these in a narrative/rhetorical style? If not, what are we supposed to do with these 1325 characters? 700 is enough to describe what I've done.

Ex.)

Clinical experience:

Talk about an important experience, what it meant, and what you learned from it.

Is this appropriate?
 
Hey everyone,

I'm really sorry because I am sure this has been asked ad nauseam but haven't found it after skimming the thread and reading the first post but:

1. LizzyM, Catalystik, etc. have emphasized succinct writing style where you describe the activity without lessons being involved but what about the most meaningful activities? I think I will have 2-3 of these. Is it ok to elaborate on these in a narrative/rhetorical style? If not, what are we supposed to do with these 1325 characters? 700 is enough to describe what I've done.

Ex.)
Clinical experience:
Talk about an important experience, what it meant, and what you learned from it.

Is this appropriate?

If no where else, you MUST use reflective language for the ones you pick as most significant. Describe the activity in the first box then explain why what you learned is important in the second box, PS style.
 
Hey everyone,

I'm really sorry because I am sure this has been asked ad nauseam but haven't found it after skimming the thread and reading the first post but:


1. LizzyM, Catalystik, etc. have emphasized succinct writing style where you describe the activity without lessons being involved but what about the most meaningful activities? I think I will have 2-3 of these. Is it ok to elaborate on these in a narrative/rhetorical style? If not, what are we supposed to do with these 1325 characters? 700 is enough to describe what I've done.

Ex.)

Clinical experience:

Talk about an important experience, what it meant, and what you learned from it.

Is this appropriate?

Is this really true? How else do we get across the importance of the activity if we only describe what we did?
 
If I have multiple presentations, instead of listing the full AMA style citation would the title, date, conference presented at be sufficient in the description? I don't have enough room for more than 3-4 posters in the description using AMA style.

Or can I format it like this:

Posters/Presentations at W conference X date:
1. Title
2. Title
3. Title
Posters/Presentations at Y conference Z date:
4. Title
5. Title
6. Title

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
What is the general opinion on using both bulletpoint format and prose in activities descriptions? For example:

Activity Name
-Quick point
-Quick point
-Quick point

Description Below
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You tag it as one of your 3 most important, or you work it into your PS. Consider that you have a limited space and I (as a adcom or in preparation for your interview) have a limited time to read it.

I wish I could do this approach. Unfortunately I am applying to a lot schools which screen on the primary (AKA California -_-), so I kinda feel obligated to include something beyond rote descriptions.
 
What is the general opinion on using both bulletpoint format and prose in activities descriptions? For example:

Activity Name
-Quick point
-Quick point
-Quick point

Description Below

I did that and I think it works with some of my activities descriptions
 
I'm going to be working at a Nursing Home this month (I'll be doing kitchen work) and was wondering If that would be a good "activity" to put on my Med school application?

Also, do you think I would get any patient contact? Which would help I think.
 
Hope this wasn't discussed in another post...I have tried to keep up.

I have a major community service-non medical experience from college of which I was also a leader. I feel like I should list it as a leadership experience because it was a profound one, but if I do that then I won't actually have any of my work/activities categorized as community service/volunteering, because everything else is paid employment, shadowing, awards, leadership. I want to believe that AdComms are smart and will recognize that this was community service, but if they did a quick sort and didn't read the activity descriptions they might not notice. Basically, does it really matter either way if I list this as leadership or community service, or should I go community service to make the activities look balanced? Or go leadership because its...stronger?

Thanks for your thoughts!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.