*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to list my EMT course as a most meaningful activity but it is already listed on my transcript. Is bad to list it as an activity as well and expand upon it?
 
Hi

One of my most meaningful experience is volunteering on the pediatric floors and interacting with the children/nurses/child life specialists. However, this experience includes my time at two different hospitals (one in college and one during the summers back home)

Do you suggest that I just list one of the hospitals (maybe the most recent one) in the title and then mention the other hospital in the description section? Or should I place the two hospital experiences as different activities?

Also, if I was to combine these two hospitals under one activity, should I list the activity as repeated?

Thank You!
Unless you are very short on volunteering, combine these two hospitals into one activity and describe how it became one of your most valuable experiences. Mention the hospitals separately in the same activity. Since you had different supervisors and locations I wouldn't call it "repeated."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Starting in June I will begin volunteering as an EMT on a rescue squad, averaging about 50 hours a month. If I plan to do this until I start med school would I really list it as 600 hours of experience?


Also in the last summer of high school I did a full time paid NASA research internship which ended up with me giving a presentation on my research to a group of astrophysicists at a large multi university conference. Would it be ok to include that even though it was in high school?
As long as the start date is no later than the date at which you submit your application and the end date is before school starts, it is my understanding that you can include your projected hours.

If the NASA experience was a pivotal moment in your development it is ok to use it.
 
Such a simple question, but not sure how to list this: when explaining I volunteered at a certain activity, do I list the EXACT number, like 147, or can I say ~150? If I can round, now close should I round those numbers: 182 ---> 200 or 180 or 185?
 
Such a simple question, but not sure how to list this: when explaining I volunteered at a certain activity, do I list the EXACT number, like 147, or can I say ~150? If I can round, now close should I round those numbers: 182 ---> 200 or 180 or 185?
Exact hours are better. If you have to estimate, choose the nearest round number that your supervisor could quickly agree is accurate.
 
Ok so there are two activities I am having trouble categorizing:

A capella singing
- part of two groups (one in undergrad and one post-collegiate)
- both groups performed at a variety of places outside of school events, many for really good causes (especially post-collegiate group)
- helped organize first concerts for both organizations

Indian classical dancing
-this is what exposed me medicine(had the opportunity to go to india and perform for patients in local hospital back when I was in high school)
- component of personal statement , won't repeat info
- performed at schools, cultural events, etc.
- had a graduation (arangetram, essentially a long solo recital to show the community you're ready for "professional" standing")

Should these be listed as an extracurricular/hobby/artistic endeavors?
 
Ok so there are two activities I am having trouble categorizing:

A capella singing
- part of two groups (one in undergrad and one post-collegiate)
- both groups performed at a variety of places outside of school events, many for really good causes (especially post-collegiate group)
- helped organize first concerts for both organizations

Indian classical dancing
-this is what exposed me medicine(had the opportunity to go to india and perform for patients in local hospital back when I was in high school)
- component of personal statement , won't repeat info
- performed at schools, cultural events, etc.
- had a graduation (arangetram, essentially a long solo recital to show the community you're ready for "professional" standing")

Should these be listed as an extracurricular/hobby/artistic endeavors?
If you are practicing in order to perform for an audience (for pay or to raise funds for charity) it is an artistic endeavor.
If you are doing it for relaxation/fellowship it is more of a hobby.
 
Hi, guys. Mostly a lurker here, but I have a question.

I was a teaching assistant for many different classes in college in a few different departments - specificially, the chemistry, biology, and math departments. I TAed for several different classes within each of these departments - i.e. gen chem and organic chem, neurobiology, genetics, and evolution, and calculus and pre-calculus. Should I take up three slots for my TAing in each of these three departments, or combine them into one slot? It's not as if I have a ton of things I am dying to squeeze in, and listing my TAing in three separate slots will get me up to 15 activities.
 
Hi, guys. Mostly a lurker here, but I have a question.

I was a teaching assistant for many different classes in college in a few different departments - specificially, the chemistry, biology, and math departments. I TAed for several different classes within each of these departments - i.e. gen chem and organic chem, neurobiology, genetics, and evolution, and calculus and pre-calculus. Should I take up three slots for my TAing in each of these three departments, or combine them into one slot? It's not as if I have a ton of things I am dying to squeeze in, and listing my TAing in three separate slots will get me up to 15 activities.

There is no reason to fill 15 slots just because you have 15 to fill. Unless one of the teaching slots was outstanding is some way, I would put them all together. It actually would be good in bullet point form such as

Bio 101 Fall 2010
Neuro 200 Spring 2010
Chem 101 Spring 2010
 
I have a question about listing future hours (I read through some of the responses in this thread already).

I am in a gap year, and my time is spread across numerous positions that occur on a weekly scheduled basis (as well as other non-regularly scheduled activities but that is irrelevant here). I have given verbal commitments to these three organizations that I will be there until at least the beginning of June 2015 - and possibly longer.

1. Part time job @ hospital (26 hrs / week, 500 hours so far, 1300 more expected)
2. Volunteer @ different area of hospital (4hrs / week, 150 hours so far, 200 more expected)
3. Volunteer @ clinic in under served area (3 hrs/week, 60 hours so far, 150 more expected)


Currently, I have these listed as 1800 hours, 350 hours, and 210 hours respectively with the time listed as (Start Date - June 2015).

1. Should I disclose the number of current hours in the description, or alternatively list each activities as reoccurring and make the times listed as (Start Date - June 2014) and (June 2014 - June 2015) to break up the two sets of hours? It seems like there are mixed points of view regarding this. While I don't feel guilty leaving it the way I have it, some adcoms may view it as slightly misleading despite me having verbal commitments with all of my supervisors about my expected time of stay.

2. Should I extend the anticipated hours to August 2015 (the maximum date)? The reason being : all three of my supervisors know that if accepted to a school this cycle, I will most likely stop in June of 2015 in order to do a few things before starting school during that summer (travel to Europe, and I want to bike across the USA). However they also know (and are more than OK with) the fact that if I do not get an acceptance this cycle, that I will continue all of my positions for the following year (e.g until June 2016). I don't want to come off as "cocky" to adcoms by listing that I plan on stopping in June 2015 and anticipate on having an acceptance for certain - but at the same time I don't want to come off as dishonest by listing my anticipated commitments to August 2015 knowing that if I do receive an acceptance, I will likely stop most activities in June. In reality I will keep my two volunteering shifts past June if I have an acceptance, but they won't be regular anymore due to weeks off from traveling and biking.

I can't thank the adcoms/physicians enough for using their valuable spare time to answer our questions!
 
1. Should I disclose the number of current hours in the description, or alternatively list each activities as reoccurring and make the times listed as (Start Date - June 2014) and (June 2014 - June 2015) to break up the two sets of hours? It seems like there are mixed points of view regarding this. While I don't feel guilty leaving it the way I have it, some adcoms may view it as slightly misleading despite me having verbal commitments with all of my supervisors about my expected time of stay.

You can do either; My recommendation if there is enough specifics, details, impacts, learning etc, you can list separately. If they are more general, list togther

2. Should I extend the anticipated hours to August 2015 (the maximum date)? The reason being : all three of my supervisors know that if accepted to a school this cycle, I will most likely stop in June of 2015 in order to do a few things before starting school during that summer (travel to Europe, and I want to bike across the USA). However they also know (and are more than OK with) the fact that if I do not get an acceptance this cycle, that I will continue all of my positions for the following year (e.g until June 2016). I don't want to come off as "cocky" to adcoms by listing that I plan on stopping in June 2015 and anticipate on having an acceptance for certain - but at the same time I don't want to come off as dishonest by listing my anticipated commitments to August 2015 knowing that if I do receive an acceptance, I will likely stop most activities in June. In reality I will keep my two volunteering shifts past June if I have an acceptance, but they won't be regular anymore due to weeks off from traveling and biking.

Since you can't assume that you will be accepted, it is perfectly reasonable to list hours until then. Conversely, you can simply list June as the end date.

Adcoms wont really care on the numbers. They dont sit and add them up for comparison. What you got out of the experience, the learning, the impact to your commitment and motivation towards desiring medicine.
 
Thanks gonnif!

Also - another question.
I participated for about 40 hours over 3 months as a volunteer chef at my local soup kitchen, but had to stop as I was hired for a part time job that conflicted with the available shifts at the soup kitchen. This is not substantial enough (in my opinion) to list separately, so I was trying to lump it together with my other non-medical volunteering activity (which is pretty significant on its own).

My question is : how should I name this non-medical volunteering experience having both experiences lumped into this activity? (Or do you think that these should be listed separately?)

I was a team captain for an annual charity event for 3 years requiring both substantial leadership responsibilities and non-clinical volunteering commitments.
I have them listed as separate categories:

1. CHARITY XXXX TEAM CAPTAIN (Leadership)
XXXXX is a charity that raises money for YYYY and ZZZZZ. I led multiple teams at XXXX event as a team captain, as well as participated as a volunteer for charity XXXX each year. See section _____________ for more information regarding a description of my responsibilities as a volunteer. As a team captain, I:
-Leadership description 1
-Leadership description 2
-Leadership description 3

2. _________________ (Non-medical volunteering)
As a volunteer at charity XXXXXXX, I spent time participating in other aspects of the event that were not related to my leadership responsibilities as a team captain.
- Charity volunteer description 1
-Charity volunteer description 2
- Charity volunteer description 3

Another non-clinical volunteering experience that I had was as a chef at my local soup kitchen. I started in 2013, but had to quit earlier than I was intending to because of a part time job offer at ____ that had shifts conflicting with the available shifts at the soup kitchen.
-Soup Kitchen description 1
-Soup kitchen description 2

Thanks!
 
Hi! I have a question about "most meaningful" activities. I've read both that we shouldn't double dip activities between PS/WorkActivities and that they should be able to stand alone, which leads to my dilemma.

I'm deciding between a service activity and a leadership activity as one of my "most meaningful." The leadership activity is more unique, but only tangentially related to medicine. However, the service activity more directly relates to my desire to pursue a career in medicine, but that has already been described in my personal statement. I have non-clinical and clinical service listed in my activities, but none of them are currently marked "most meaningful." Not sure what to do! Thanks for any advice.
 
Hi! I have a question about "most meaningful" activities. I've read both that we shouldn't double dip activities between PS/WorkActivities and that they should be able to stand alone, which leads to my dilemma.

I'm deciding between a service activity and a leadership activity as one of my "most meaningful." The leadership activity is more unique, but only tangentially related to medicine. However, the service activity more directly relates to my desire to pursue a career in medicine, but that has already been described in my personal statement. I have non-clinical and clinical service listed in my activities, but none of them are currently marked "most meaningful." Not sure what to do! Thanks for any advice.
Either is fine. I lean slightly toward the more medicine related one since commitment to medicine is a core characteristic. Perhaps you could speak about the internal experience in the PS and just the facts in the Activity.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks gonnif!

Also - another question.
I participated for about 40 hours over 3 months as a volunteer chef at my local soup kitchen, but had to stop as I was hired for a part time job that conflicted with the available shifts at the soup kitchen. This is not substantial enough (in my opinion) to list separately, so I was trying to lump it together with my other non-medical volunteering activity (which is pretty significant on its own).

My question is : how should I name this non-medical volunteering experience having both experiences lumped into this activity? (Or do you think that these should be listed separately?)

I was a team captain for an annual charity event for 3 years requiring both substantial leadership responsibilities and non-clinical volunteering commitments.
I have them listed as separate categories:

1. CHARITY XXXX TEAM CAPTAIN (Leadership)
XXXXX is a charity that raises money for YYYY and ZZZZZ. I led multiple teams at XXXX event as a team captain, as well as participated as a volunteer for charity XXXX each year. See section _____________ for more information regarding a description of my responsibilities as a volunteer. As a team captain, I:
-Leadership description 1
-Leadership description 2
-Leadership description 3

2. _________________ (Non-medical volunteering)
As a volunteer at charity XXXXXXX, I spent time participating in other aspects of the event that were not related to my leadership responsibilities as a team captain.
- Charity volunteer description 1
-Charity volunteer description 2
- Charity volunteer description 3

Another non-clinical volunteering experience that I had was as a chef at my local soup kitchen. I started in 2013, but had to quit earlier than I was intending to because of a part time job offer at ____ that had shifts conflicting with the available shifts at the soup kitchen.
-Soup Kitchen description 1
-Soup kitchen description 2

Thanks!

Oy Vey! Unless you are pushing up the 15 item limit on activties, I would make the soup kitchen separate. Personally, I prefer one activity listed in one place. I would make the charity event with leadership also include the volunteer. One of the things adcoms want to see is commitment and personal growth in addition to leadership. Having them all in one place makes that statement directly as opposed to an adcom having to put it together mentally on their own.

This is a general note to all, if an application is a narrative showing a coherent, concise, and compelling pattern of commitment, motivation and achievement, then EC should be considered an essential building block in that foundation. What you get to do in this is set the "tone" or "pattern" for the reader. I find most students dont put the same care into crafting the single paragraph of an EC as they do the paragraphs of a PS. Having several "indepth" EC plus a few "lighter" ones (such as soup kitchen) is fine.
 
Is it worth it to include paid jobs that have nothing to do with medicine? I have probably 400 hours of random jobs spread throughout undergrad. Would it be ok to lump them all as one "miscellaneous employment" section or is it best to just leave them off entirely?
 
Is it worth it to include paid jobs that have nothing to do with medicine? I have probably 400 hours of random jobs spread throughout undergrad. Would it be ok to lump them all as one "miscellaneous employment" section or is it best to just leave them off entirely?
It is worth it. Especially if these jobs had anything to do with the public ( aka those you will shortly know as patients!).
It also helps to give context to those lovely grades and scores.
It is fine to put them in the same activity box, especially if they are similar in nature.
 
It is worth it. Especially if these jobs had anything to do with the public ( aka those you will shortly know as patients!).
It also helps to give context to those lovely grades and scores.
It is fine to put them in the same activity box, especially if they are similar in nature.


If for nothing else, jobs also show a modicum or responsibility, that you are willing to work, etc.
 
I don't know if I'll be able to fill out all 15. I think I'll be right around 10. Hey, concise is better I guess.
 
Last edited:
Considering my project had to do with chemicals/toxicology, do I go into deep depth on this in the description, e.g just the results, or actual lab work?
 
Last edited:
Ok, gotcha. What is the difference between saying this is a "Special Project" vs an "Undergraduate Thesis"? Or are they one and the same, in my case.

Is a thesis normally referred to when speaking of a higher academic degree? I always hear "Master's Thesis" but never Bachelor's thesis...just curious.
These titles are equivalent. Pick the one that you prefer!
 
Also, a more general question. When writing about a lab research experience or this lit review and presentation, what exactly should we make sure we discuss in the description. I know this has been asked in the past, but I want to know specifically for research/reviews. In other words, should I actually discuss my whole project including background info, hypothesis and conclusion?? And then what I learned from the process. (These experiences will not be discussed at all in my PS)

@Catalystik
Describe your research, succinctly as if you were talking to a well educated person with no experience in your field.
If it was a most meaningful experience, go to town on what you learned.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Please provide me with advice.

I am contemplating on which activities I should choose for Most Meaningful and am stuck. Is it OK to lump activities in a most meaningful section? For example, I have lots of non-medical community service particularly dealing with homeless individuals and have continued over a span of 4 years. This includes food banks/pantries/homeless center volunteering/etc. Would listing and explaining all these in a "Most Meaningful" be OK?

Also, I volunteer for 2 free healthcare clinics and currently have over 150 hrs of service. However, I had two separate jobs at each (both professional and dealing with patients). I feel like this has been one of my best experiences. Is it alright to list both together in a Most Meaningful?

I just don't want to be looked at as disorganized/not-structured or sketchy when it comes this (lumping stuff together). Thoughts guys? Specifically the ADCOMS on this site.

(Just as an aside, if you haven't guessed it yet, the theme of my PS and overall app is geared towards service to the homeless/underserved.)
 
Hello,

1). I volunteered in the lab as an undergraduate. But worked in the same lab for a few months after graduating. I pretty much did the same things except spent more time in the lab and doing more of reading research articles. Do I have to separate into two activities (one of them being as a volunteer and one of them being as work)?

2). Most meaningful experiences - Just to be sure, can I choose shadowing a physician or international medical trip as most meaningful experiences? I’m worry because I was more of watching from the side and observing how the doctor interact with the patients, so learned more of from watching than directly involve in the process. As for the medical trip, it would be a bit of me directly involving and a bit of knowing/seeing how doctors are in clinical setting. As for this one, I’m worry to pick because it was not done a long time but more of just a week or so.

Thanks
 
Please provide me with advice.

I am contemplating on which activities I should choose for Most Meaningful and am stuck. Is it OK to lump activities in a most meaningful section? For example, I have lots of non-medical community service particularly dealing with homeless individuals and have continued over a span of 4 years. This includes food banks/pantries/homeless center volunteering/etc. Would listing and explaining all these in a "Most Meaningful" be OK?

Also, I volunteer for 2 free healthcare clinics and currently have over 150 hrs of service. However, I had two separate jobs at each (both professional and dealing with patients). I feel like this has been one of my best experiences. Is it alright to list both together in a Most Meaningful?

I just don't want to be looked at as disorganized/not-structured or sketchy when it comes this (lumping stuff together). Thoughts guys? Specifically the ADCOMS on this site.

(Just as an aside, if you haven't guessed it yet, the theme of my PS and overall app is geared towards service to the homeless/underserved.)
"Lumping" similar activities is fine., especially if you want to tell a story in your most meaningful activity that includes them all.
 
Hello,

1). I volunteered in the lab as an undergraduate. But worked in the same lab for a few months after graduating. I pretty much did the same things except spent more time in the lab and doing more of reading research articles. Do I have to separate into two activities (one of them being as a volunteer and one of them being as work)?

2). Most meaningful experiences - Just to be sure, can I choose shadowing a physician or international medical trip as most meaningful experiences? I’m worry because I was more of watching from the side and observing how the doctor interact with the patients, so learned more of from watching than directly involve in the process. As for the medical trip, it would be a bit of me directly involving and a bit of knowing/seeing how doctors are in clinical setting. As for this one, I’m worry to pick because it was not done a long time but more of just a week or so.

Thanks
1. no
2. yes. Just be aware that these "medical missions" are observed askance by some members of the admissions community.
 
1. no
2. yes. Just be aware that these "medical missions" are observed askance by some members of the admissions community.

1. Just wondering - volunteered for 1 yr in the lab as an undergraduate and worked in the same lab for just 3 months after graduating (agreed for just 3 months) - I will not separate them, but I just wanted to know. Is it because the work was just 3 months and not long enough to put in as separate activity?
 
A few more questions. Thanks Catalystik and gyngyn! 🙂

1) Do I have to list the titles for all of my posters and presentations if they were for the same research project? I currently have the title and full citation for the "most prestigious" of my posters written out, and then just simply list the others (e.g. "1st author poster, presented at XXXX conference in YYYY City; 2nd author presentation, presented at ZZZZ conference in KKKK City, etc.")? I feel like having the titles would be redundant and I'm very tight on space.

2) Do the activity titles have to be flashy or interesting? I saw a comment earlier that one of the titles someone suggested was too boring, and I hadn't given that much thought before. Should we pay attention to how exciting our activity titles are?

3) I do not have room to list all of my ECs, but it's hard to get a sense for which ones will be most important to list. Do you have any basic criteria for how we should decide if an activity merits a spot?

4) How crucial is it that every activity ties together into some overarching narrative? I tried a lot of things in college and didn't necessarily continue them for a long period of time (usually around a year), but not all of them exactly form a cohesive story other than that I like teaching, science, and medicine. Is that ok, or should I really push for a main story being woven into every EC narrative?

Thanks a million!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Just wondering - volunteered for 1 yr in the lab as an undergraduate and worked in the same lab for just 3 months after graduating (agreed for just 3 months) - I will not separate them, but I just wanted to know. Is it because the work was just 3 months and not long enough to put in as separate activity?
They were substantially equivalent activities. Putting the 3 months in its own block just looks fluffy.
 
A few more questions. Thanks Catalystik and gyngyn! 🙂

1) Do I have to list the titles for all of my posters and presentations if they were for the same research project? I currently have the title and full citation for the "most prestigious" of my posters written out, and then just simply list the others (e.g. "1st author poster, presented at XXXX conference in YYYY City; 2nd author presentation, presented at ZZZZ conference in KKKK City, etc.")? I feel like having the titles would be redundant and I'm very tight on space.

2) Do the activity titles have to be flashy or interesting? I saw a comment earlier that one of the titles someone suggested was too boring, and I hadn't given that much thought before. Should we pay attention to how exciting our activity titles are?

3) I do not have room to list all of my ECs, but it's hard to get a sense for which ones will be most important to list. Do you have any basic criteria for how we should decide if an activity merits a spot?

4) How crucial is it that every activity ties together into some overarching narrative? I tried a lot of things in college and didn't necessarily continue them for a long period of time (usually around a year), but not all of them exactly form a cohesive story other than that I like teaching, science, and medicine. Is that ok, or should I really push for a main story being woven into every EC narrative?

Thanks a million!
1 No. You can put posters,presentations and pulications associated with the same research into a single activity, just identify them as such.
2. An accurate, interesting title is especially helpful.
3. Lucky you! List the ones you deem most important to your development and the ones that give evidence of your possession of core characteristics (see below).
4.Some things are just different. That's ok. It makes you multi-dimensional.

Addendum, Core Characteristics:
· Integrity and Ethics

· Reliability and Dependability

· Service Orientation

· Social and Interpersonal Skills

· Capacity for Improvement

· Resilience and Adaptability

· Cultural Competence

· Oral Communication

· Teamwork
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Can someone please help me with those two questions?
1. Last year when I applied for med school I did not include a short term job that I had (only 3 months). Would it be absolutely stupid to include it in this years application?
2. While writing the activities, what format should I use to write in the bullet form? For example, should I say:
- I performed EKGs .....
or
-Performed EKGs....

Thanks in advance!
 
I participated in intercollegiate athletics (judo) during undergraduate (2009 to 2013), but also did it competitively since 1998. I'm using it as one of my most meaningful experiences, talking broadly about the sport. Should I list the start date as when I started or when I started college? I founded the club at my university and acted as assistant instructor, as well as a competitor.
 
Hi,
Can someone please help me with those two questions?
1. Last year when I applied for med school I did not include a short term job that I had (only 3 months). Would it be absolutely stupid to include it in this years application?
2. While writing the activities, what format should I use to write in the bullet form? For example, should I say:
- I performed EKGs .....
or
-Performed EKGs....

Thanks in advance!
1. Neither stupid nor necessary to include this.
2. Starting with a verb is good when using bullet points.
 
I participated in intercollegiate athletics (judo) during undergraduate (2009 to 2013), but also did it competitively since 1998. I'm using it as one of my most meaningful experiences, talking broadly about the sport. Should I list the start date as when I started or when I started college? I founded the club at my university and acted as assistant instructor, as well as a competitor.
Use your actual start date since it is a continuous experience.
 
Thank you gyngyn!
I have one more question,
Should I include all the organizations which I am part of but do not participate? Such as national societies, ex. Golden Key, or school clubs?
If so, how can they be entered into AMCAS?
 
Thank you gyngyn!
I have one more question,
Should I include all the organizations which I am part of but do not participate? Such as national societies, ex. Golden Key, or school clubs?
If so, how can they be entered into AMCAS?
Lump them all into a single activity:
Golden Key: member
Rolfing club: treasurer
Coffee club: Founding president...
 
I have worked in two labs and desire to write them in seperate activities because I have quite a bit to say about both.
A.) Both experiences has been meaningful and contribute to my understanding/skill set conducive more medicine. However I believe it is too redundant for my application to list both as the most meaningful experience. Is it more appropriate to list one of them as the most meaningful?
B.) If I choose to do the above scheme, list them as seperate activities but choose one as my most meaningful, can I talk about both research experiences in the one I designate as most meaningful? Or should I only talk about the said designated?

My logic is as follows: my first research experience has given me general skills and interest that lead me to join another lab to engage in a masters project that aligned more well with the program and my scientific interest. I'd like to talk about how one lead into the other to give a whole picture of how research in general has affected me and why I chose to be more highly involved in my senior year, choosing to adopt a master's project.

TL,DR: Two consecutive research experiences, want to list both as seperate activities. One is more significant but I want to talk about both in the 1325 character space to give a full picture. Is this appropriate?
 
is it necessary to specify hours/week for activities in the event description? (or when would it be a good idea to do so?)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, gotcha. What is the difference between saying this is a "Special Project" vs an "Undergraduate Thesis"? Or are they one and the same, in my case.

Is a thesis normally referred to when speaking of a higher academic degree? I always hear "Master's Thesis" but never Bachelor's thesis...just curious.

Actually some schools specifically have undergraduate thesis as a requirement for graduation. It was fairly common in liberal arts/non-science disciplines a few decades ago, but has somewhat fallen out of favor
 

perfect. so no need to specify both? I was thinking if we had over a thousand over the course of few hours, if adcoms would like to see how many/week it was during the academic year...or does it not really matter so much? thanks!
 
Hey, I just had a quick question regarding the awards.
For my research, I've won several awards (scholarships, poster competitions, etc). Is it okay if I just make an entry labeled "Research Awards" and list all of them rather than using a separate entry for each award?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.