*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have three publications. I'm going to group them in one entry (they are from separate internships), and I want to provide full citations for each publication in the body of the entry.
1) Should I officially provide the contact and organization, etc. for the most recent paper (because I can't include all three)?
2) Should I mention in the body of the entry that the other two publications are unrelated to the most recent one (I don't have much room, so I'd rather not do this)?
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have three publications. I'm going to group them in one entry (they are from separate internships), and I want to provide full citations for each publication in the body of the entry.
1) Should I officially provide the contact and organization, etc. for the most recent paper (because I can't include all three)?
2) Should I mention in the body of the entry that the other two publications are unrelated to the most recent one (I don't have much room, so I'd rather not do this)?
1) That's fine, as the information may be redundant anyway due to the journal name in the citation or if the publication can be found on-line. You could also use an advisor who could attest to all three, instead of a publisher or PI.

2) No, as I expect that the titles of the papers may make that clear. If not, the (ideally) separate Research listings would tell the same story.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be acceptable to list a research project that was required for a course? The project was about 50 hours total and was totally hypothesis based (not just a normal undergrad type lab), wrote a full paper citing other literature as the basis for my project, used statistical analyses to evaluate data and find a conclusion, etc. Even though its not as advanced as many research experiences and was required for a course, I think it is meaningful because I came up with and tested my own hypothesis. Would adcom's actually see this as a "real" research experience?

Hey Everyone,

I saw that that future dates were addressed earlier in the thread, but just wanted to make sure that I understood the recommendation correctly.

If I have been working at the same job since, say, 2012, and plan on continuing to work there through the start of med school, it should look like this:

June 2012 - May 2014 : 3000 hours

*Repeated*

May 2014 - August 2015 : 1400 hours

Is that right? This is new to this year and I want to make sure that I'm not violating any rules.

Thanks!

-Bill

1) Would it be acceptable to list a research project that was required for a course? The project was about 50 hours total and was totally hypothesis based (not just a normal undergrad type lab), wrote a full paper citing other literature as the basis for my project, used statistical analyses to evaluate data and find a conclusion, etc. Even though its not as advanced as many research experiences and was required for a course, I think it is meaningful because I came up with and tested my own hypothesis.
2) Would adcom's actually see this as a "real" research experience?
1) Yes.

2) If you describe it right, then yes.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw that that future dates were addressed earlier in the thread, but just wanted to make sure that I understood the recommendation correctly.

If I have been working at the same job since, say, 2012, and plan on continuing to work there through the start of med school, it should look like this:

June 2012 - May 2014 : 3000 hours

*Repeated*

May 2014 - August 2015 : 1400 hours

Is that right? This is new to this year and I want to make sure that I'm not violating any rules.
Yes, that will work, even though the end month of the first date span and the start month of the second are the same.

Having some difficulties deciding which of my experiences to list and which to solely discuss in my personal statement. I have 5 experiences that have guided me to medicine that I wish to discuss in my personal statement. However, due to the constraints of the personal statement itself, I am afraid I will not be able to fully flesh out what exactly I gained from those experiences. Say, for example, 2/5 have many sub-positions and anecdotes that I can draw from but the other 3 are fairly straightforward. If I list those 2 in my activities (1 as most meaningful) and discuss them without an awful amount of overlap, is this okay? What advice would you give?

Thanks in advance.

So writing work/activities section in bullet point format is not looked at negatively?

Having some difficulties deciding which of my experiences to list and which to solely discuss in my personal statement. I have 5 experiences that have guided me to medicine that I wish to discuss in my personal statement. However, due to the constraints of the personal statement itself, I am afraid I will not be able to fully flesh out what exactly I gained from those experiences. Say, for example, 2/5 have many sub-positions and anecdotes that I can draw from but the other 3 are fairly straightforward. If I list those 2 in my activities (1 as most meaningful) and discuss them without an awful amount of overlap, is this okay? What advice would you give?
Yes, it's okay. Where overlap is necessary for a cohesive story, use different words and anecdotes. In the PS maybe focus on impact and in the Activities section, go with duties/role, skills learned, personal growth, or somesuch.

Yes, it's okay. Where overlap is necessary for a cohesive story, use different words and anecdotes. In the PS maybe focus on impact and in the Activities section, go with duties/role, skills learned, personal growth, or somesuch.

That's perfect. Thanks!

Although...one concern I have is that my description in the personal statement may not address certain descriptive things (to give background about the experience) that the work/activities section will. I doubt evaluators will read the essay and cross-reference with the work/activities.

Suggestions on how to bridge that gap?

Members don't see this ad :)
Although...one concern I have is that my description in the personal statement may not address certain descriptive things (to give background about the experience) that the work/activities section will. I doubt evaluators will read the essay and cross-reference with the work/activities.

Suggestions on how to bridge that gap?
Have an unbiased reader, like an English teacher, read both parts to see if you got it right.

And don't assume that the same screener will read both sections.

Thanks for the help, Catalysitik!

Last edited:
As part of my Biomedical major, it is required that all seniors complete a research project and present it to the class and available faculty. This project can be original research conducted in a lab OR a literature review. Having already done a semester of original research, I opted for a literature review. Now, it basically culminated into a 20 page final paper and a powerpoint presentation and my question is: Is this something I can list under research? Or is it viewed as just another class. I was very interested in my topic and feel I can talk about it in an interview with good detail. Thoughts on assigning it a spot on the appie?
I don't feel Research would be the appropriate designation. Even though it was curricular, special projects like this are often listed under the Other category, or you could pick Teaching, since you also presented it.

Hello,

I have a question about grouping my shadowing experiences. I went on a medical brigade to Ecuador and shadowed a number of doctors there, which was certainly a formative experience. I've also shadowed a doctor in the US, for significantly less time (approx. 8 hours). Should I group this shadowing experience with the medical brigade to save entries? Or do you think that I should separate them out or potentially even leave out the US shadowing experience even though I felt it assisted in my path to medicine as well?

Thank you so much for your assistance!

I don't feel Research would be the appropriate designation. Even though it was curricular, special projects like this are often listed under the Other category, or you could pick Teaching, since you also presented it.

Ok, that's great advice!

Last edited:
I have a question about grouping my shadowing experiences. I went on a medical brigade to Ecuador and shadowed a number of doctors there, which was certainly a formative experience. I've also shadowed a doctor in the US, for significantly less time (approx. 8 hours). Should I group this shadowing experience with the medical brigade to save entries? Or do you think that I should separate them out or potentially even leave out the US shadowing experience even though I felt it assisted in my path to medicine as well?
I suggest you list the US shadowing, which carries far more weight, and then include the Brigade shadowing in the same space. If you split out the international shadowing from the rest of the Brigade experience, be sure you don't double count the hours. And if the Brigade docs were from the US, specifically say it, so that those hours get more consideration. Specify the # of hours from each source in your narrative.

1) So the "Presentation" designation is not an option?

2) Also, I rather not list this if it will be viewed as "padding" my app. What do you think?
1) It's an option you could pick, but I'm not suggesting it, for the same reason you (appropriately) didn't want to use a Research designation.

2) I'm assuming you spent a considerable number of hours putting this project together, and that it went above and beyond a typical term paper, in which case, it's not padding. That you addressed a (potentially critical) audience is a good Experience to include.

3.) Now, what do you suggest for the experience name? Something like: "Literature Review and Presentation of [Title of Review]"
That sounds boring. Work on it. Maybe "Senior Biomedical Project on XXXXXX with Presentation"? Discuss the lit review and paper writing as part of the process.

Sorry to bother again, but I was wondering:

1) Would you classify the below experience as Employment - Medical/Clinical?

Worked in the administrative office of All HomeCaring, a company that provides skilled nursing, PCA's, and other healthcare needs for the elderly. Duties included entering new patient data into spreadsheets, monitoring patient changes of status, administering surveys to patients and employees, compiling results of said surveys, conducting payroll, sending invoices to nursing homes, among other administrative and organizational duties. I did not work with patients directly, but there were instances of when they would come into the office to ask for things and I helped them get what they needed.

I realize I had little patient contact, but I feel that it might be reasonable to classify this work experience as Medical because of the healthcare administration aspect of it. BUT, I do not want to stretch the truth to claim it as Medical if it is borderline.

Thanks for answering my and so many others' questions, it is infinitely helpful in this tough process.

Sorry to bother again, but I was wondering:

Worked in the administrative office of All HomeCaring, a company that provides skilled nursing, PCA's, and other healthcare needs for the elderly. Duties included entering new patient data into spreadsheets, monitoring patient changes of status, administering surveys to patients and employees, compiling results of said surveys, conducting payroll, sending invoices to nursing homes, among other administrative and organizational duties. I did not work with patients directly, but there were instances of when they would come into the office to ask for things and I helped them get what they needed.

I realize I had little patient contact, but I feel that it might be reasonable to classify this work experience as Medical because of the healthcare administration aspect of it. BUT, I do not want to stretch the truth to claim it as Medical if it is borderline.

Thanks for answering my and so many others' questions, it is infinitely helpful in this tough process.
I'm not an expert, but I want to help. I would list it as non-medical and describe what you did. It's still valuable work, but as there was almost no patient contact it isn't clinical.

No, I would not categorize it as Employment-Medical/Clinical. That does not take away from the relevance of your experience to a med school application, which adcomms will get from reading your description. But it will not substitute for the active clinical experience that adcomms will be looking for.

I have a bunch of unsorted "involvement" like zero credit interest classes (not on transcript), including one on social justice and one on public health as well as some committee membership in college (health related). I have one space left. Would it be too weird to group these things together as "College Activities Not Listed Elsewhere?" I also enrolled in a zero credit, free, formal public health class and attended half the sessions before dropping out due to a time constraint. Would this be worth listing to show continued interest in public health, or would it be a red flag since I didn't complete it?

1) I have a bunch of unsorted "involvement" like zero credit interest classes (not on transcript), including one on social justice and one on public health as well as some committee membership in college (health related). I have one space left. Would it be too weird to group these things together as "College Activities Not Listed Elsewhere?"
2) I also enrolled in a zero credit, free, formal public health class and attended half the sessions before dropping out due to a time constraint. Would this be worth listing to show continued interest in public health, or would it be a red flag since I didn't complete it?
1) That will work fine.
2) I can see where the wrong question could get you into trouble with that one. Leave it out. Or, say, you attended 6 public health lectures open to the public, or somesuch, without saying it was for a class.

I suggest you list the US shadowing, which carries far more weight, and then include the Brigade shadowing in the same space. If you split out the international shadowing from the rest of the Brigade experience, be sure you don't double count the hours. And if the Brigade docs were from the US, specifically say it, so that those hours get more consideration. Specify the # of hours from each source in your narrative.

Thank you for your response, I will do that!

Sorry, I came across another question while filling out this section. I have poster and oral presentations to list, as well as an acknowledgement on a publication and an upcoming authorship pending submission. Can I list these all under one title (ie: Posters/Presentations/Publications) or do I need to separate them? Additionally, should I characterize which research project each presentation/poster is for, or can I simply list it as oral/poster presentation at x conference? I'm struggling with space for my activities and am trying to group together as many as possible. Thank you again, this is so helpful!!

I have poster and oral presentations to list, as well as an acknowledgement on a publication and an upcoming authorship pending submission.
1) Can I list these all under one title (ie: Posters/Presentations/Publications) or do I need to separate them?
2) Additionally, should I characterize which research project each presentation/poster is for, or can I simply list it as oral/poster presentation at x conference? I'm struggling with space for my activities and am trying to group together as many as possible.
1) In your case, I'd use the Posters/Presentations designation, unless these took place on your campus, because:
a) An acknowledgement is worthless. I've seen the typist get them. So don't bother. Your Research entry will make clear your contributions.
b) An unaccepted manuscript is not worth mentioning in this same space. One that is not even submitted, even less so. Not that it's never done, but I suggest you save it for an update letter after acceptance.
c) If the Poster and the Presentation present the same data, they are generally put together. If not, they are usually put in separate spaces. If one or both happened on campus, it's usually placed in the same space as the Research. If you have a lot of Posters/Presentations, you could use an abbreviated format that will fit them all into one space.
2) Which research project each represents should be clear from the research description and the title of the poster or the presentation, but I have seen some folks refer to which specific project belongs to a given presentation, etc.

Last edited:
I have some clinical experience volunteering in my local hospital's surgical daycare. I want to discuss the impact patient interaction had on me in my personal statement, but this leaves my work/activities section without any clinical volunteering. Should I discuss it in my work/activities and leave it out (or briefly touch on it) in my personal statement?

I joined the club as a general member 1st year, a committee member 2nd year and an exec 3rd year.

The club is actually has a large presence on campus (900 members) and we are very active (contributing upwards of $300 000 to the NGO it's for over the past few years).

I dedicated hundreds of hours to this and I feel like it's a waste to put it down as merely an "extracurricular" but I also don't want to cut off my entire first year with the club (long term commitment aspect) if I list it as leadership (since I wasn't a leader first year).

What would you do?

leadership

Is it wrong to include my first year in the time frame? I would obviously mention in the description that I did not hold a leadership role in my first year (and explain how my role progressed through the years)

Include the first year and describe accordingly. I did the same exact thing for my involvement in an organization where I was a general member in freshman year and held leadership positions in sophomore and junior (and senior).

I have some clinical experience volunteering in my local hospital's surgical daycare. I want to discuss the impact patient interaction had on me in my personal statement, but this leaves my work/activities section without any clinical volunteering. Should I discuss it in my work/activities and leave it out (or briefly touch on it) in my personal statement?
Include both, but make them different. Why not put anecdotes and impact in the PS and job description/duties/highlights in the Activities area? Use different words in each narrative.

Hello everyone for this years application is there a total hour limit for each experience. I've read that it's 999 hours, but I can enter in 4 digits into the experience section so I am a little confused. Thank you.

1) I have ~1300 hours of research total (all in same lab)

> Time breakdown:
- Last summer: NSERC grant (Federal scholarship ~$5600)
- Sept-May: Took two independent research courses so I could continue in the lab
- This summer: NSERC grant (~$5600)

> >>Do I list these scholarships in a separate slot or do I just include them as bullets underneath research?

2) Similar problem with TA Positions:
> Fall - TA position 80 hours total
> Winter - TA Position with an award
> Fall 2014 (coming up) - TA Position with an award

>>> Should I list them all together and just mention that winter and this coming fall I got awards? Or should I list TA experience together and then the awards separately?

3) How much detail should you include?
> Ex. Is it considered "pompous" to say how much a scholarship was and the % that gets it? Or is it necessary info?
> Similarly, do you mention that your club has won awards for top contribution to an NGO/how much you've contributed?
1) You could do it either way, but personally, I think it has more impact if you mention it in context with the research description.

2) Same answer, but if it's a monetary award (implied since its in the future, I'd lean toward keeping it with the activity.

3) A research grant of that proportion is worth mentioning as a specific number. Knowing the number of folks you competed with and the terms of the competition can also add to the perception of "special." It's a good thing to include this information.

With fund-raising efforts, it's pretty common for the amount collected to be specified.

I worked as a pharmacy intern (paid) for the past 3-4 years. I have also graduated pharmacy school and am now looking to apply to medical school.

What would I list this work under? Medical/clinical or not?

I worked as a pharmacy intern (paid) for the past 3-4 years. I have also graduated pharmacy school and am now looking to apply to medical school.

What would I list this work under? Medical/clinical or not?
If the majority of the experience was dealing with folks at the window, then you could list it as Medical/Clinical, but in my experience, that would be unusual for an intern. I expect you have far more convincing active clinical experience from rotations requiring hospital rounds, etc.

Hello everyone for this years application is there a total hour limit for each experience. I've read that it's 999 hours, but I can enter in 4 digits into the experience section so I am a little confused. Thank you.
This year you can enter up to 99,999 hours for an activity. AMCAS has yet to update their FAQ.

Maybe in case a nontrad wants to list Sleep as their "Most Meaningful" activity? :soexcited:I could identify with that.

That and pizza, I am simple soul

Of course then you would have to assume 56 hours of (in)activity a week (8 hours a night)

so that would roughly be 34 years at 99,999 hours.

Last edited:
I have a slightly unique EC that began as an interest in a particular area of work. It began as paid employment (a little over a year) which then turned into a non-clinical volunteering position, and then participation in teaching, and finally (and recently) to a leadership role as the founder of an on campus organization. I want to designate this activity as "most meaningful" and because all of the parts of the activity are linked and one in the same, I would like to lump them all together. What category of activity would I put this in? Because half of it was paid employment, but the most meaningful aspect of it came from second half with the leadership and non-clinical volunteering. Also how should I approach my activity title and activity description? I tried to describe all aspects of the activity in the description section but quickly ran out of room; should I briefly outline what I did in the description then flesh out the "why" in the extra 1325 characters for most meaningful activity? Thanks in advance.

I have a slightly unique EC that began as an interest in a particular area of work. It began as paid employment (a little over a year) which then turned into a non-clinical volunteering position, and then participation in teaching, and finally (and recently) to a leadership role as the founder of an on campus organization. I want to designate this activity as "most meaningful" and because all of the parts of the activity are linked and one in the same, I would like to lump them all together. What category of activity would I put this in? Because half of it was paid employment, but the most meaningful aspect of it came from second half with the leadership and non-clinical volunteering. Also how should I approach my activity title and activity description? I tried to describe all aspects of the activity in the description section but quickly ran out of room; should I briefly outline what I did in the description then flesh out the "why" in the extra 1325 characters for most meaningful activity? Thanks in advance.
You can use a significant part of your PS to explain how this activity influenced your decision to become a physician. If you use the narrative to describe how it changed you, the most meaningful activity can be more factual. Is there a category in which you are "light on activities? If so you might want to "lump" into this category.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) In your case, I'd use the Posters/Presentations designation, unless these took place on your campus, because:
a) An acknowledgement is worthless. I've seen the typist get them. So don't bother. Your Research entry will make clear your contributions.
b) An unaccepted manuscript is not worth mentioning in this same space. One that is not even submitted, even less so. Not that it's never done, but I suggest you save it for an update letter after acceptance.
c) If the Poster and the Presentation present the same data, they are generally put together. If not, they are usually put in separate spaces. If one or both happened on campus, it's usually placed in the same space as the Research. If you have a lot of Posters/Presentations, you could use an abbreviated format that will fit them all into one space.
2) Which research project each represents should be clear from the research description and the title of the poster or the presentation, but I have seen some folks refer to which specific project belongs to a given presentation, etc.

Thank you so much for your help catalystik!

I apologize, but I came across a few more questions. As a follow up to c) what would you constitute as an abbreviated format? Also, is the format that you usually use to cite posters/presentations: presentation title, conference title, location, date? Finally, I'm only using 1 of my 3 research projects as a meaningful experience. For the other two, it's extremely difficult to fit in information about the project itself and my contributions, while including posters/presentations in 700 characters. Do you suggest using bullets or formal writing? I currently have it written out. I know you said in a few earlier posts that we can switch format between bullets and paragraphs throughout, but not sure what's more acceptable or favored for research.

Thank you again, you're really awesome!! :clap:

Hi

One of my most meaningful experience is volunteering on the pediatric floors and interacting with the children/nurses/child life specialists. However, this experience includes my time at two different hospitals (one in college and one during the summers back home)

Do you suggest that I just list one of the hospitals (maybe the most recent one) in the title and then mention the other hospital in the description section? Or should I place the two hospital experiences as different activities?

Also, if I was to combine these two hospitals under one activity, should I list the activity as repeated?

Thank You!

Anyone going crazy trying to fit a most meaningful description into 1,300 words =P?

Starting in June I will begin volunteering as an EMT on a rescue squad, averaging about 50 hours a month. If I plan to do this until I start med school would I really list it as 600 hours of experience?

Also in the last summer of high school I did a full time paid NASA research internship which ended up with me giving a presentation on my research to a group of astrophysicists at a large multi university conference. Would it be ok to include that even though it was in high school?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.