*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I received multiple awards from the hospital I volunteer at, how should I list my award dates and hours?

I've also created a science video that won two awards, would that be considered an artistic endeavor and should I provide a youtube link to that?
 
Sorry if this question is in the wrong thread, but how much will a lack of non-medical volunteering hurt an application that is otherwise well-rounded? Is this an absolute deal-breaker? I understand that indicating future hours is not taken too seriously. I recently started doing some non-medical volunteering, but I feel like adding it to the work/activities section may do more harm than good (it might be seen as too little, too late, although I enjoy the volunteering and wish I had started it much earlier).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question 1) In what category and how do I you suggest file the following, what should I bundle:
  1. Peer-reviewer for journals, non-paid (grad students, passed to me by PI)
  2. Editor on scientific journal boards school-based & non school-based, non-paid ~2000 hours
  3. Scientific publications (peer reviewed) vs. scientific publications (invited/non peer reviewed)
  4. Book chapters
  5. Book reviews in journals
  6. Articles in newspapers and magazines online and offline (scientific material, but for general audience/interest)
Question 2) If applying for MD/PhD where I have to write the two massive MD/PhD essays, do I still have to put past research down (and associated grants etc.) as one of my activities?
1) My expertise does not lie with the PhD side of the application process, so with that in mind, I will venture a few opinions anyway.

You, as an experienced science editor, will be the best judge of which of your works are the most meritorious and best support an MD/PhD application. Don't be compelled to include everything if it means you have to leave out other Activities that support the MD part of your application. If any pubs are pay-to-publish or appeared in campus publications, they might reasonably be omitted if you need to save space. There are many ways one can lump and split one's Experiences and not be wrong, depending on the space at one's disposal.

That said, having no idea of the content or how much you need to condense or are able to spread things out:
1&2&5) might be lumped under "Other" as Science Reviewer and Editor or alternatively, you might split out the non-school-based portion and list it alone if it's substantial enough to stand on its own.
3) "Publications": Consider splitting into two so as to highlight peer-reviewed journal publications.
4) "Publications" (accepted or in print) if scholarly & science-related, and "Artistic Endeavors" (writing) if not.
6) "Teaching" or "Artistic Endeavors" (on-line-only work might reasonably be omitted) to set it apart from original-research-related work.

2) My guess is yes, since some med schools may have separate processes for MD vs PhD candidate review. Let's try to get the opinion of an expert on MD/PhD applications: @Neuronix I'd appreciate your input on both the above questions.
 
1) If I received multiple awards from the hospital I volunteer at, how should I list my award dates and hours?

2) I've also created a science video that won two awards, would that be considered an artistic endeavor and should I provide a youtube link to that?
1) In the header list the date of the most recent or the most prestigious that is first on your list. Hours are 0, unless you sat through an awards ceremony, in which case you can enter that time. Other dates will be entered in the narrative when you describe the award.

2) Artistic Endeavor or Teaching are good categories to consider. Including a link is fine, but if it's more than two minutes long, don't expect that the entire video will be completely viewed.
 
Sorry if this question is in the wrong thread, but how much will a lack of non-medical volunteering hurt an application that is otherwise well-rounded? Is this an absolute deal-breaker? I understand that indicating future hours is not taken too seriously. I recently started doing some non-medical volunteering, but I feel like adding it to the work/activities section may do more harm than good (it might be seen as too little, too late, although I enjoy the volunteering and wish I had started it much earlier).
This question would be better answered in a WAMC thread or through a Search in the main PreMedAllo forum, where it's been addressed before.
 
1) My expertise does not lie with the PhD side of the application process, so with that in mind, I will venture a few opinions anyway.

You, as an experienced science editor, will be the best judge of which of your works are the most meritorious and best support an MD/PhD application. Don't be compelled to include everything if it means you have to leave out other Activities that support the MD part of your application. If any pubs are pay-to-publish or appeared in campus publications, they might reasonably be omitted if you need to save space. There are many ways one can lump and split one's Experiences and not be wrong, depending on the space at one's disposal.

That said, having no idea of the content or how much you need to condense or are able to spread things out:
1&2&5) might be lumped under "Other" as Science Reviewer and Editor or alternatively, you might split out the non-school-based portion and list it alone if it's substantial enough to stand on its own.
3) "Publications": Consider splitting into two so as to highlight peer-reviewed journal publications.
4) "Publications" (accepted or in print) if scholarly & science-related, and "Artistic Endeavors" (writing) if not.
6) "Teaching" or "Artistic Endeavors" (on-line-only work might reasonably be omitted) to set it apart from original-research-related work.

2) My guess is yes, since some med schools may have separate processes for MD vs PhD candidate review. Let's try to get the opinion of an expert on MD/PhD applications: @Neuronix I'd appreciate your input on both the above questions.

Thanks for thinking of me!

There's no right answer to question 1. I agree with Catalystik's advice though. You want to really highlight your scientific publications, peer reviewed or not, including book chapters. Each publication can be a separate experience if you have room, with priority to the peer reviewed journal articles. Opinion articles like book reviews are interesting, but lower priority, and could be combined into one experience. The same goes for articles in newspapers and magazines. Peer-reviewer for journals and editor for journals can be combined into one experience as well.

2. Yes. The main AAMC experiences section asks you more or less to list your extracurriculars. The essays are there more to explain your research, your experience, and your motivations. This gives you more room to expound on things. I agree with Catalystik that there are often separate processes for MD and MD/PhD candidate review, and each reviewer may not look at your entire application. Thus don't be afraid to duplicate (not copy+paste, but list vs. highlight/explain) where it makes sense to do so.

Come visit us in the MD/PhD forum if you need any MD/PhD specific advice.

PS: I don't regularly monitor these threads like Catalystik but please feel free to throw up the @Neuronix bat signal if you'd like any research or MD/PhD advice.
 
Last edited:
Might not be the right place to ask, but thought it would be worth a try...

How important would you say it is I talk about the transformative nature of the 3 most meaningful experiences? I drafted them all, but when I re-read them today my most meaningful experience essay for research is more like just further elaboration of what I did. I do talk about how it relates to medicine and the career I want, but I didn't really talk about how it "transformed" or "affected" me, which the prompt suggests you "might" want to consider.

I tweaked it a little bit so I sound like I became to like research, but still 2/3 of the essay is simply about what I did. Would you say this is okay...? the 700 character description was too little to describe what I did.

Thank you in advance!
 
How important would you say it is I talk about the transformative nature of the 3 most meaningful experiences? I drafted them all, but when I re-read them today my most meaningful experience essay for research is more like just further elaboration of what I did. I do talk about how it relates to medicine and the career I want, but I didn't really talk about how it "transformed" or "affected" me, which the prompt suggests you "might" want to consider.

I tweaked it a little bit so I sound like I became to like research, but still 2/3 of the essay is simply about what I did. Would you say this is okay...? the 700 character description was too little to describe what I did.
You won't be the only person who's let their research description stray into the MM essay portion. As long as you have a paragraph break in the right place (after 700 characters) and it flows smoothly to the first paragraph in the MM part, your strategy will be less obvious (check how it will print out from Main Menu>Print>PDF View, so you're sure nothing gets cut off). Whether it's OK will depend on the individual reader. If discussing transformative aspects isn't your thing, maybe you can manage insights, impact, or future related goals, but try to have something along those lines in there someplace.
 
This might have been asked before on this thread but couldn't find it so I apologize in advance if it's been asked!

In one of my lab experiences, I worked with a grad student for the entire time. He's the one who drafted the LOR (although it will be submitted under the PI's name because he will co-sign - or maybe even just sign - it). Heck I only saw the PI only like 3 times over a year although thankfully he remembers me lol. In this case, for the contact information, should I list the PI or the graduate student I worked with?

Thank you so much in advance!!
 
I was a student manager for a varsity sport for 3 years and I was the head manager in my final year. Should I make two categories as the FAQ suggests or should I just keep it in one? Reason I ask is because I'm not sure if I should repeat it since it says Leadership - not listed elsewhere, even though my tasks of a head manager encompassed everything a student manager does and more.

Thanks in advance!
 
This might have been asked before on this thread but couldn't find it so I apologize in advance if it's been asked!

In one of my lab experiences, I worked with a grad student for the entire time. He's the one who drafted the LOR (although it will be submitted under the PI's name because he will co-sign - or maybe even just sign - it). Heck I only saw the PI only like 3 times over a year although thankfully he remembers me lol. In this case, for the contact information, should I list the PI or the graduate student I worked with?

Thank you so much in advance!!
I have the same situation, I listed the PI since she uploaded the LOR
 
I was a student manager for a varsity sport for 3 years and I was the head manager in my final year. Should I make two categories as the FAQ suggests or should I just keep it in one? Reason I ask is because I'm not sure if I should repeat it since it says Leadership - not listed elsewhere, even though my tasks of a head manager encompassed everything a student manager does and more.
I'm not sure what "two categories" you mean, so I'll try to answer for every combination I can think of:

If you can separate out the hours of your Intercollegiate Sport (assuming you participated in the game) and Leadership components, then list them in at least two spaces, as I'm sure you'll need the extra space for adequate explanation. Student Manager and Head Manager could go together well in one spot, as it shows that you grew in responsibility over time better than if you listed them each on their own. But if you want to leave the 3 years of Student Manager with the Intercollegiate Sport (or on its own) and list the last year as Head Manager separately, that's fine too, if the latter role can stand on its own. If I didn't grasp your real question, please rephrase.
 
In one of my lab experiences, I worked with a grad student for the entire time. He's the one who drafted the LOR (although it will be submitted under the PI's name because he will co-sign - or maybe even just sign - it). Heck I only saw the PI only like 3 times over a year although thankfully he remembers me lol. In this case, for the contact information, should I list the PI or the graduate student I worked with?
You need a Contact who can attest to the timeframe and hours of your involvement with the activity only. You can use the PI if they know, or the grad student, or even a department secretary if they are easier to reach. This contact will not be asked for a reference, so a knowledge of your work ethic and productivity is not needed by whomever you designate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got two questions about my research entry...

I feel a bit squished on space already, but I haven't really talked about the award I got for submitting a proposal of the research I am continuing this summer. Nor have I added much of the science in the description. I really only have about a sentence in this MM experience where I state what type of research I help with.

1) Should I try and explain a little bit about what the lab I work in deals with?
2) In the contacts name it asks for first and last... For first name should I put Dr. Firstname? Or just Firstname?
 
Hi, quick question here..

1. I was a volunteer teaching assistant for elementary school kids during the summer, should I list that as "Community Service" or "Teaching"?
2. I've read posts about Research Hours and publications under separate categories, so is it similar in that if I did research and presented a poster that I prepared, should I list that as two separate categories as well?

Thanks!
 
I got two questions about my research entry...

I feel a bit squished on space already, but I haven't really talked about the award I got for submitting a proposal of the research I am continuing this summer. Nor have I added much of the science in the description. I really only have about a sentence in this MM experience where I state what type of research I help with.

1) Should I try and explain a little bit about what the lab I work in deals with?
2) In the contacts name it asks for first and last... For first name should I put Dr. Firstname? Or just Firstname?
1) You should give an overview of the project you are helping with.
2) See post #859.
 
1. I was a volunteer teaching assistant for elementary school kids during the summer, should I list that as "Community Service" or "Teaching"?
2. I've read posts about Research Hours and publications under separate categories, so is it similar in that if I did research and presented a poster that I prepared, should I list that as two separate categories as well?
1) Generally either is fine, depending on what balances your application better, but if you did this activity as part of a requirement for a class, then pick Teaching.

2) If you presented a poster as part of your school's Research Symposium Day (which is required/expected at some schools, so no/little peer review screens it first), then leave the poster with the affiliated Research description. If you presented a poster at an off-campus event, then it deserves its own space.
 
^^^^ I am curious about this as well. My plan was to list one as separate since someone else can also verify the presentation I did for that lab. I am planning on putting one experience and presentation together since it was all done in the same semester (part of one-credit class.)

Also I want to put any music-related hobbies under one category, but I have tons of random experiences everywhere. Some were unpaid (got free food though) while others were paid (e.g. weddings), so I'm not sure whether I should put the paid ones separate. I didn't do too many paid ones so for me it makes a lot more sense to lump them with the other performances.

Now that I think about it, maybe the performances would be better suited as "Artistic Endeavors"? I saw them more as hobbies but since I got paid for a few then maybe putting them as artistic endeavors would be better...?
 
Is it okay to list an experience as meaningful even though you mention it in your PS? My friend says schools don't like when you repeat stuff?
It's fine to list an Experience mentioned in the PS as a MM activity in the Experiences section also, but you wouldn't want to repeat much of the information and vocabulary.

If one chose to do this, one might keep the description and role in first 700 characters of the the Experiences area, anecdotes & impact in the MM area, and new anecdotes with insights in the PS, or some variation thereof. Also keep in mind that you don't have to use all 1325 characters in the MM space if you run out of things to say. Better to keep it succinct than to ramble on.
 
Last edited:
0) ^^^^ I am curious about this as well. My plan was to list one as separate since someone else can also verify the presentation I did for that lab. I am planning on putting one experience and presentation together since it was all done in the same semester (part of one-credit class.)

1) Also I want to put any music-related hobbies under one category, but I have tons of random experiences everywhere. Some were unpaid (got free food though) while others were paid (e.g. weddings), so I'm not sure whether I should put the paid ones separate. I didn't do too many paid ones so for me it makes a lot more sense to lump them with the other performances.

2) Now that I think about it, maybe the performances would be better suited as "Artistic Endeavors"? I saw them more as hobbies but since I got paid for a few then maybe putting them as artistic endeavors would be better...?
0) I'm not clear on whether this is a question. If it is, maybe you can make it clearer.

1) I think that lumping them together is fine. You might mention the paid ones though as it supports that you achieved a certain level of skill.

2) When you share a hobby with a wider audience, it is an Artistic Endeavor.
 
Hello,

I apologize if this was addressed before, but I could not find it using the search option, so I was wondering if someone could answer whether or not we should put Latin Honors (magna, summa, cum laude) in this section? I have a few other academic recognitions I am lumping together and I was going to include my Latin Honors, but was wondering if that was a faux pas.

Thank you!

edit//

Nevermind! I found it in the other threads.
 
^^ @Catalystik (or anyone with suggestions) I don't know if this was made clear in the AMCAS but for performances do they want to know all hours involved in preparation? It makes sense for me with an ensemble or choir but these were more occasional performances rather than regular.
 
I apologize if this was addressed before, but I could not find it using the search option, so I was wondering if someone could answer whether or not we should put Latin Honors (magna, summa, cum laude) in this section? I have a few other academic recognitions I am lumping together and I was going to include my Latin Honors, but was wondering if that was a faux pas.!
Your academic record speaks for itself, but it is common among already-graduated applicants to list Latin Honors. For a Contact, you can use your college registrar, who has a record of all of them.
 
I also have one more question about clubs/extracurriculars..

Is it wise if I'm involving in multiple clubs that all hold significance to me in three different "Extracurricular" categories, or just lump them all under one? They all have different roles and start times...

Thanks!

EDIT: I held officer positions in two of those clubs, the other club i was just a general member
 
^^ @Catalystik (or anyone with suggestions) I don't know if this was made clear in the AMCAS but for performances do they want to know all hours involved in preparation? It makes sense for me with an ensemble or choir but these were more occasional performances rather than regular.
Yes. It's part of an artistic endeavor (per your recent post above) that hones one's skill.
 
Is it wise if I'm involving in multiple clubs that all hold significance to me in three different "Extracurricular" categories, or just lump them all under one? They all have different roles and start times...

EDIT: I held officer positions in two of those clubs, the other club i was just a general member
You can give each its own space, if you have plenty to say about them.
 
I've presented my research at poster presentations both on campus and at regional conferences. Because I have the space and research is something I wish to pursue in medical school, I planned on making the regional conference its own space. Would is be better to mention my 4 on campus posters in this posters space, or include it in my research description?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've presented my research at poster presentations both on campus and at regional conferences. Because I have the space and research is something I wish to pursue in medical school,
1) I planned on making the regional conference its own space.
2) Would is be better to mention my 4 on campus posters in this posters space, or include it in my research description?
1) Good idea.

2) Best to put them with the Research description, but since it's unlikely they'll all fit if properly cited, an alternative would be to give those four their own space titled On-Campus Poster Presentations, or XXX College Research Symposium Posters, or somesuch. Alternatively, if space is short, you could refer to them more vaguely in the Research space, like "This project resulted in four poster presentations at various campus Research Day Conferences over the last two years."
 
If someone was president of a school club - would that go under extracirricular activity or leadership, other?
If you only list the dates of an officer position, it could go under Leadership, with mention of previous general membership in the narrative. If you want to list the full date span that you belonged to the organization, you'd call it Extracurricular, but make the leadership role apparent from the title, like Member and Treasurer of Honors Biology Organization. Then, in the narrative you'd give the dates of leadership.
 
I want to designate one of my work experiences as "most meaningful", but I also plan on discussing it in my PS as a means of getting interested in medicine. I don't want to be redundant or repetitive. What's the best way to handle this situation?
 
Hi all. I read above that when writing about your Most Meaningful experiences you should have the first 700 word section 'flow' into the second supplemental section. However, I was planning on doing a bullet-point description of the experience in the 700 word section and then writing details about the impact of the experience in the second section.

Any input? Would it be smarter for me just to write a longer essay that flows between both sections? Thx.
 
Hi all. I read above that when writing about your Most Meaningful experiences you should have the first 700 word section 'flow' into the second supplemental section. However, I was planning on doing a bullet-point description of the experience in the 700 word section and then writing details about the impact of the experience in the second section.

Any input? Would it be smarter for me just to write a longer essay that flows between both sections?
Using your approach is just fine, so long as each section progresses logically to the next. Mixing and matching bullets with narrative can make that easier sometimes.
 
Didn't get a response in the other thread so posting here regarding coursework:

My school does semesters but then we have an optional May term which is just one class for all of May. I listed all my classes under the '4-4-1' header and put the May term classes as 'Mini-Semester (Spring/Fall).' I don't want to get stuck in the verification process, will this work or should I switch to 'Semester System' heading?
Sorry, this question doesn't fall within the scope of this thread. Maybe repost and tag gonnif to help you.
 
How about artistic endeavors? I have been doing photography since 2011 (earlier, but this is when I got proper equipment), and have a couple photos published (random newspapers, the cover of the berkeley journal of sociology). I don't have any idea how to calculate the hours spent on this as it has been years of casual/amature pursuit.
 
Would being a reviewer of an undergraduate journal fall under "leadership" or "extracurricular"? It was a position that one must be nominated and selected for.

Thanks!
 
How about artistic endeavors? I have been doing photography since 2011 (earlier, but this is when I got proper equipment), and have a couple photos published (random newspapers, the cover of the berkeley journal of sociology). I don't have any idea how to calculate the hours spent on this as it has been years of casual/amature pursuit.
The number of hours isn't important for this pursuit. That you have a creative, stress-relieving leisure-time activity that you share is of interest. Enter a 1 (and a comment that you have no idea of hours)or 999: it doesn't make a difference. Having been published definitely qualifies this activity as an Artistic Endeavor.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it absolutely necessary that I list contact information for every doctor I shadowed? I have shadowed like 10 doctors and just putting down their names, locations, specialties and hours I shadowed them for fills up the 700 character space very tight. The same goes for the award... which one should I put as the contact for the awards if there's nobody who can attest to all the awards I've received?
 
I was wondering if I should include Dean's list as an award. It seems like the general consensus is that the grades will speak for themselves and adding it would be redundant, but I had an awful first couple of years, and then when I got my act together got Dean's list all through Junior/Senior year. If I should add, what would be the best contact info?
 
Also, is it worth it to sacrifice the activity description to list contacts if I am putting multiple activities into one slot?? The only ones where I wanted to do it are leadership and non-clinical volunteering, but at the same time I don't want to come off sketchy by not putting down the contacts for relatively minimal activities.
 
For the meaningful activities description, would it be weird to choose an activity I started a couple of months ago? I love it there and I feel like I've learned a lot about myself...but again, its a new activity.

The other activities I would choose as my most meaningful have already been mentioned in my PS. So far, I've only chosen one activity for my most meaningful description.
 
1) Is it absolutely necessary that I list contact information for every doctor I shadowed? I have shadowed like 10 doctors and just putting down their names, locations, specialties and hours I shadowed them for fills up the 700 character space very tight.
2) The same goes for the award... which one should I put as the contact for the awards if there's nobody who can attest to all the awards I've received?
1) If you have many, many docs, you can list the main ones at the top and later summarize others in a way that fits in the remaining space, like "Also shadowed a rheumatologist, neonatologist, and neurosurgeon for 20 more hours combined" without giving contacts and locations.

2) Use the college registrar for all/most of them. Anything related to college is usually in their database.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.