*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2. In Grades 11 and 12, I volunteered on the Editorial Board of the journal. My responsibilities included interviewing francophone authors in order to write up a short bio, as well as translating select abstracts from English to French. I am also named as a translator on editions of the Journal where my translations were published.

3 Yes, I know their names and could probably find their contact info, but I am certain that they would have no idea who I was if someone were to ask them about me because I would have only done one or two cases with each of them (a year ago!)...which is why I wonder if there is value in writing down their names.
2) Consider using Artistic Endeavor to highlight your writing skills. You can mention your French literacy there.

3) Using some names gives the experience legitimacy. No one will contact them if you use your Program Coordinator as your contact.

Members don't see this ad.

2) Consider using Artistic Endeavor to highlight your writing skills. You can mention your French literacy there.

3) Using some names gives the experience legitimacy. No one will contact them if you use your Program Coordinator as your contact.
OK, but do you think it would be a worthwhile addition, given that it did not continue into undergrad and it only took up about 40-50 hours total. If I were to include it, I would probably have to include it as a stand-alone among the 15 since it isn't really related to anything else, other than that it sparked my interest in research

OK, but do you think it would be a worthwhile addition, given that it did not continue into undergrad and it only took up about 40-50 hours total. If I were to include it, I would probably have to include it as a stand-alone among the 15 since it isn't really related to anything else, other than that it sparked my interest in research
Particularly if you are applying to schools with a large French-speaking population nearby (and have maintained this skill set, and have exercised it in some other way that you can mention, and are willing to take the risk of being partially interviewed in French), it could help make you memorable and act as a "hook". Alternatively you might bring it up in your PS as sparking an interest in research, if that is part of your path to medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

OK, so under this schema where I'm adding the shadowing experience as part of the narrative for my clinical placement work/activities entry, would you recommend that I include hours (in addition to the names) in the same way others seem to phrase their shadowing. Right now, the first half of my description relates my main duties in the clinical placement and then the second half is "Worked closely with urologists (Drs. A, B, C) and orthopedic surgeons (Drs. X, Y, Z) to provide image guidance during surgery and to learn about their surgical specialties. Assisted radiologists (Drs. L, M, N, O, P, Q) during invasive diagnostic procedures (e.g. cystograms, arthrograms) and therapeutic interventions (e.g. central venous catheter insertions, embolizations)."

I worked with each doctor anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours on one or (usually) multiple occasions, so it would be difficult to determine how much time I actually spent with each individual.

OK, so under this schema where I'm adding the shadowing experience as part of the narrative for my clinical placement work/activities entry,
1) would you recommend that I include hours (in addition to the names) in the same way others seem to phrase their shadowing. I worked with each doctor anywhere from 30 mins to 3 hours on one or (usually) multiple occasions, so it would be difficult to determine how much time I actually spent with each individual.

2) Right now, the first half of my description relates my main duties in the clinical placement and then the second half is "Worked closely with urologists (Drs. A, B, C) and orthopedic surgeons (Drs. X, Y, Z) to provide image guidance during surgery and to learn about their surgical specialties. Assisted radiologists (Drs. L, M, N, O, P, Q) during invasive diagnostic procedures (e.g. cystograms, arthrograms) and therapeutic interventions (e.g. central venous catheter insertions, embolizations)."
1) You could either list the total hours of shadowing time, rather than that assigned to individual docs, or alternatively, mention the % of the total time for the activity that was physician shadowing (which might be easier to assign).

2) As I mentioned above, where there are lots of docs, you might just list some of them, say, the ones you spent the most time with, to shorten the list and give more room for description. Example being:

Worked closely with urologists (Drs. A, B, C) and orthopedic surgeons (Drs. X, Y, Z) to provide image guidance during surgery and to learn about their surgical specialties. Assisted radiologists (Drs. L and M, and other staff radiologists) . . .

IF I was a member of a club for three years, Should I list it as 08/2012- 05/2016
Or Should I use the repeat button in order to not count the summer session coz no club is usually active during the summer?
08/2012-05/2013
08/2013-05/2014
08/2014-05/2015

IF I was a member of a club for three years, Should I list it as 08/2012- 05/2016
Or Should I use the repeat button in order to not count the summer session coz no club is usually active during the summer?
08/2012-05/2013
08/2013-05/2014
08/2014-05/2015
I meant 08/2012-05/2015 in my first sentence

IF I was a member of a club for three years, Should I list it as 08/2012- 05/2015
08/2012-05/2013
08/2013-05/2014
08/2014-05/2015

You could
a) use the Repeated feature, or
b) list the full date span, but name the activity Academic year Membership in XXXX Club, or
c) decide that membership is meant to be year-round, even if there are no activities in the summer months, name it what you like, and still use the full date span.

(Note: there is an edit button at the bottom of each post that you can click if you made a mistake, correct the error, and save.)

I made an error in my activities/work section. I listed something as volunteer that was paid accidently. Not sure how I missed it before submitting. Will I be submitting an addendum to each school? Will this hurt my chances? Ugh

For a class I took in college, there was an option for the final to create a poster and present it. The poster explained a medical device that my partner and I were helping our professor develop and we had a functional prototype that we presented with the poster. Is this something that can be included under poster/presentations section or is it not a good idea as it was an assignment for the class?

I made an error in my activities/work section. I listed something as volunteer that was paid accidently. Not sure how I missed it before submitting. Will I be submitting an addendum to each school? Will this hurt my chances? Ugh
Consider whether it might be clear that the activity was paid due to your title, your description, or the number of Total Hours relative to how long you were involved. If it's clear the activity couldn't have been Volunteer, you're fine. If it's not clear, the Secondary may give you a chance for correction. The rest can be informed by addendum, after the Secondary and LORs have been received.

For a class I took in college, there was an option for the final to create a poster and present it. The poster explained a medical device that my partner and I were helping our professor develop and we had a functional prototype that we presented with the poster. Is this something that can be included under poster/presentations section or is it not a good idea as it was an assignment for the class?
Yes, it can be included on the application, even though it was a curricular assignment, but if the Poster was presented at a campus event, it would be better to mention it in the same space as the project description rather than in a Posters/Presentations slot.

Consider whether it might be clear that the activity was paid due to your title, your description, or the number of Total Hours relative to how long you were involved. If it's clear the activity couldn't have been Volunteer, you're fine. If it's not clear, the Secondary may give you a chance for correction. The rest can be informed by addendum, after the Secondary and LORs have been received.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it can be included on the application, even though it was a curricular assignment, but if the Poster was presented at a campus event, it would be better to mention it in the same space as the project description rather than in a Posters/Presentations slot.

I guess I don't understand what experience type I should list the project as instead of Posters/Presentations. Additionally, I participated in the creation of a separate biomedical device over the course of senior year and we won awards at several on campus competitions - do you advise including that under honors/awards/recognition and describing the design process there or listing it under "other" and mentioning that we won several awards?

1) I guess I don't understand what experience type I should list the project as instead of Posters/Presentations.

2) Additionally, I participated in the creation of a separate biomedical device over the course of senior year and we won awards at several on campus competitions - do you a) advise including that under honors/awards/recognition and describing the design process there or b) listing it under "other" and mentioning that we won several awards?
1) Other.

2) b. of the above to keep it in context. The alternative would be to list the project under Other and have a separate affiliated Honors/Awards space.

SDN consensus to leave ampersand (&) out of PS seems obvious, but what about in the Work/Activities section? Right now, I've kept "and" if it's part of a sentence but I'm considering using "&" in lists.

More generally, are shortcuts permissible in the Work/Activities section?

SDN consensus to leave ampersand (&) out of PS seems obvious, but what about in the Work/Activities section? Right now, I've kept "and" if it's part of a sentence but I'm considering using "&" in lists.

More generally, are shortcuts permissible in the Work/Activities section?
Using an "&" in a Work/Activities title is fine. Using acronyms where you've previously defined them and universally understood abbreviations is OK, too. If you use too many shortcuts and make an entry laborsome to read, it will get skimmed and then not fully appreciated. So take care when you decide to depart from formal writing and keep it to a minimum.

@Catalystik Can you give me your advice on choosing my last Most Meaningful Experience?

Option 1) Physician Shadowing. I group all the shadowing I did in this section because it was done at the same hospital over the span of 4 summers. I stayed with one physician the first summer, and he is writing one of my LOR. Another physician I have stayed with all 4 summers. There are three other physicians where I got to shadow a specific interesting event such as vaginal deliveries and an open heart surgery. I would love to write about this being a most meaningful experience, but I don't want it to seem like I am just using it because it is "what they expect". Also, I am unsure of if I should focus on one Physician or them as a group?

Option 2) Honor/Award: Summer Medical and Dental Program 2014. This was a program that I was accepted into that has 12 different sites around the United States. It sees over 2,000 applicants and only accepts 80 at each site (this is why I considered it as honors/awards, but maybe should I switch it to 'Other'?) On a day to day basis, this program was meant to simulate what it would be like in a typical day as a medical student. We were at the medical school, with medical professors teaching us three topics, Organic, Anatomy and Phys, and Biochemistry. This experience was also very meaningful to me, but the only problem is that it overlaps with one of my previous Most Meaningful Experiences that is in the same Summer.

I am so sorry this is long winded. Just let me know what you think!

@Catalystik Can you give me your advice on choosing my last Most Meaningful Experience?

Option 1) Physician Shadowing. I group all the shadowing I did in this section because it was done at the same hospital over the span of 4 summers. I stayed with one physician the first summer, and he is writing one of my LOR. Another physician I have stayed with all 4 summers. There are three other physicians where I got to shadow a specific interesting event such as vaginal deliveries and an open heart surgery. I would love to write about this being a most meaningful experience, but I don't want it to seem like I am just using it because it is "what they expect". Also, I am unsure of if I should focus on one Physician or them as a group?

Option 2) Honor/Award: Summer Medical and Dental Program 2014. This was a program that I was accepted into that has 12 different sites around the United States. It sees over 2,000 applicants and only accepts 80 at each site (this is why I considered it as honors/awards, but maybe should I switch it to 'Other'?) On a day to day basis, this program was meant to simulate what it would be like in a typical day as a medical student. We were at the medical school, with medical professors teaching us three topics, Organic, Anatomy and Phys, and Biochemistry. This experience was also very meaningful to me, but the only problem is that it overlaps with one of my previous Most Meaningful Experiences that is in the same Summer.

I am so sorry this is long winded. Just let me know what you think!
It's less common to pick Shadowing as an MM than you imply, probably because most don't stay with docs long enough to develop a strong relationship with them. Since you did, I feel you're far more likely to have gained interesting anecdotes/insights/impact/future plans with this, whether related to one doc, two, or more, than you would with SMDP. JMO.

Should research that I am doing as part of an academic program be listed in my activities? I am currently getting a masters degree and working on a thesis project. This doesn't seem to be accounted for anywhere else, so I am guessing it goes in here, but since it is required I am unsure about listing it?

Should research that I am doing as part of an academic program be listed in my activities?

I am currently getting a masters degree and working on a thesis project. This doesn't seem to be accounted for anywhere else, so I am guessing it goes in here, but since it is required I am unsure about listing it?
If the "research" you refer to is original hypothesis-driven scholarly work that will generate new generalizable human knowledge that is potentially publishable, it should be listed under Research, whether it's volunteer, paid, or due to curricular requirement.

Alternatively, if by "research" you mean a review and organization of others' work, similar to a term paper, or report, or a position paper, you can list it under Other.

A thesis can fall into either category.

It's original research, and therefore my 15th activity! Thanks!

I have one more question. I have been volunteering in the ER for 2.5 years now and during the time I am there I sometimes shadow doctors and and PA's. I would say about 60 hours of shadowing, but some of the doctors are no longer working in the ER and I didn't write down most of their names or info. I do however have the charge nurse who can vouch for my shadowing hours. Can I place her as the contact and describe my shadowing experience without naming physicians?

I have one more question. I have been volunteering in the ER for 2.5 years now and during the time I am there I sometimes shadow doctors and and PA's. I would say about 60 hours of shadowing, but some of the doctors are no longer working in the ER and I didn't write down most of their names or info. I do however have the charge nurse who can vouch for my shadowing hours. Can I place her as the contact and describe my shadowing experience without naming physicians?
Yes, the charge nurse can be your contact. Mentioning at least a few docs by name would lend your experience some legitimacy. The rest can be referred to more generically as "ED Staff physicians". You don't need contact info for any of them if you name the staff nurse.

Hi,
I did grad school after undergrad. If I have 4 publications (one 1st author, one co-1st, and two 4-5th authors), do I enter all 4 separately or clump them as 1 activity? Thanks!!

Hi,
I did grad school after undergrad. If I have 4 publications (one 1st author, one co-1st, and two 4-5th authors), do I enter all 4 separately or clump them as 1 activity? Thanks!!
You could list them separately, or group them into 1-2 spaces.

See post #3 item 20 for more nuances that might have an effect on your choice.

I was wondering if someone can please send me an example of how they formatted the scholarships/awards/recognitions. I want to group all the awards and scholarships I received in college into one section on AMCAS but I'm not quite sure how to do it. For all the other sections I followed the format 1) The organization does X 2) I did Y 3) this is what I learned. However I have several awards I want to include but didn't really learn anything from them haha-they were just awards. if anyone can send me theirs for reference that would be awesome!

1) I have been a musician since young and I am including this as artistic endeavors. I read on this thread that I can include myself for contact info. For contact's title, can I do "violinist"?
2) If I included music as artistic endeavors, is it redundant to list it as hobby?
3) What do they mean by Extracurricular Activity? It's one of the categories you can use for work and activites section.
4) Is it a bad idea to use the symbol "&" to save some characters?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Should I list my random non-clinical volunteering? My major volunteering expertise is about 125 hours of clinical volunteering with the poor at a free clinic. I also have about 20 hours of non-clinical volunteering with Toys for Tots and a Red Cross blood drive or two. I have 14 experiences at the moment: should I merge the miscellaneous non-clinicals as one experience for 20 hours, or just leave it off and put something with a larger time commitment?

This would leave me with no non-clinical volunteering.

Admittedly, I'm not a strong applicant with regards to non-clinical volunteering.

1) I have been a musician since young and I am including this as artistic endeavors. I read on this thread that I can include myself for contact info. For contact's title, can I do "violinist"?
2) If I included music as artistic endeavors, is it redundant to list it as hobby?
3) What do they mean by Extracurricular Activity? It's one of the categories you can use for work and activites section.
4) Is it a bad idea to use the symbol "&" to save some characters?

Thank you!
1) Yes.

2) Yes, unless it's regarding another area of music that you don't share publically.

3) Extracurriculars would generally refer to non-classroom college activities that aren't required, like clubs, intramural sports, religious or cultural groups, etc, whether related to your college, or not.

4) You should never use "&" in the PS, but could use it in the Name of an activity. I'd suggest trying hard not to use it more than that, but if 1-2 more slip in unobtrusively, you'd probably be fine.

Should I list my random non-clinical volunteering? My major volunteering expertise is about 125 hours of clinical volunteering with the poor at a free clinic. I also have about 20 hours of non-clinical volunteering with Toys for Tots and a Red Cross blood drive or two. I have 14 experiences at the moment: should I merge the miscellaneous non-clinicals as one experience for 20 hours, or just leave it off and put something with a larger time commitment?

This would leave me with no non-clinical volunteering.

Admittedly, I'm not a strong applicant with regards to non-clinical volunteering.
I'd suggest that grouping all your short-term nonmedical volunteering into one space would give it more impact.

1) Could you tell me if I should list my hospital volunteering as clinical? All I did was help transport patients and visitors in wheelchairs, and I'm leaning towards listing it as non-clinical because I actually have a clinical part-time job and I considered the activity more as an act of community service rather than a 'medical' experience. Will this hurt me at all?

2) Will it be any trouble if I list myself as a contact for a couple of my experiences including my tutoring and Honors/awards?

3) And will it hurt if I only have 9 experiences to talk about? I feel like they are of quality but at the same time I don't know if my list is too short by some standards.

1) Could you tell me if I should list my hospital volunteering as clinical? All I did was help transport patients and visitors in wheelchairs, and I'm leaning towards listing it as non-clinical because I actually have a clinical part-time job and I considered the activity more as an act of community service rather than a 'medical' experience. Will this hurt me at all?

2) Will it be any trouble if I list myself as a contact for a couple of my experiences including my tutoring and Honors/awards?
1) I can't imagine that any adcomms will consider a role as hospital transporter as other than clinical, no matter what you tag it with.

2) For the tutoring, consider listing a tutee as contact, to lend it more legitimacy. For Collegiate Recognitions, consider using your college Registrar as contact. They have a record of most of them. That said, yes, you can use yourself as contact if necessary.

I've been a member of a club for 3 years now but I never moved up into any leadership role in the club (Did other things with my time). Would it be useful to list this experiences in AMCAS or would you recommend against it?

I've been a member of a club for 3 years now but I never moved up into any leadership role in the club (Did other things with my time). Would it be useful to list this experiences in AMCAS or would you recommend against it?
If membership reflects a special interest that you feel reflects positively on you or reveals a facet of your personality that helps show "who you are" it might be worth including. Certainly the longevity of involvement alone tells something about your commitment.

Anyone haha? I'm not quite sure how to group all of my awards and if I should give an explanation to each award? So far for the awards section I simply have a list of my awards

Anyone haha? I'm not quite sure how to group all of my awards and if I should give an explanation to each award? So far for the awards section I simply have a list of my awards
Most just list them with an explanation for the criteria if it's campus-specifically or less commonly seen, an indication of how competitive it might be, or a monetary amount for a substantial merit scholarship.

Deans list and Phi Beta Kappa, for example, don't need much detail added.

Date for the space can be when the latest was awarded. Total Hours can be zero, 1, of the length of award ceremonies.

I was wondering if someone can please send me an example of how they formatted the scholarships/awards/recognitions. I want to group all the awards and scholarships I received in college into one section on AMCAS but I'm not quite sure how to do it. For all the other sections I followed the format 1) The organization does X 2) I did Y 3) this is what I learned. However I have several awards I want to include but didn't really learn anything from them haha-they were just awards. if anyone can send me theirs for reference that would be awesome!
Some old examples can be seen from links in post #1412 on page 29.

Some old examples can be seen from links in post #1412 on page 29.
I attempted to do it in a similar way as those, but when I go to print to view its all jumbled and the formatting no longer works? Is there any way to make it look nice?

I attempted to do it in a similar way as those, but when I go to print to view its all jumbled and the formatting no longer works? Is there any way to make it look nice?
You are looking at the wrong view. Instead, go to the application's Main Menu, click Print Application on the right, select Print PDF Application. That's how adcomms will see it.

Reactions: 1 users
1) is it weird to include only one hobby? I already included my music stuff as artistic endeavor so I thought it would be ok?
2) is there a good example for listing publications? I'm pretty lost about this.
3) would it be redundant to include music volunteering for non medical comm service separately from artistic endeavors?

1) is it weird to include only one hobby? I already included my music stuff as artistic endeavor so I thought it would be ok?
2) is there a good example for listing publications? I'm pretty lost about this.
3) would it be redundant to include music volunteering for non medical comm service separately from artistic endeavors?
1) Listing one hobby when there's a lot to say about it is fine.

2) There are a number of styles suitable for citations. Do a web search on How to cite a publication and follow any method.

3) Definitely use another space for music related volunteerism.

Hi, I am having trouble naming two of my activities.
1) 3 friends and I created a medical device for a senior design class but continued moving forward with its development after the class ended (including seeking lawyer advice regarding patents, starting a company, etc; refining the product; meeting with potential users/investors). I currently have it titled "Development of a Novel Biomedical Device" and listed under the "other" category per previous advice from this thread. any ideas on a better name?
2) For a different class, a professor allowed another student and I to continue development on a device he was working on. Our work concluded with a 3d printed chassis and poster regarding theoretical optimization of other aspects of the technique utilized by the device. I have this currently listed as "Continued Development of a Biomedical Device" and listed under the "other" category.
I feel that both of these names are poor but am lost as to how I can accurately title these sections. Any help is appreciated!

Hi, I am having trouble naming two of my activities.
1) 3 friends and I created a medical device for a senior design class but continued moving forward with its development after the class ended (including seeking lawyer advice regarding patents, starting a company, etc; refining the product; meeting with potential users/investors). I currently have it titled "Development of a Novel Biomedical Device" and listed under the "other" category per previous advice from this thread. any ideas on a better name?
2) For a different class, a professor allowed another student and I to continue development on a device he was working on. Our work concluded with a 3d printed chassis and poster regarding theoretical optimization of other aspects of the technique utilized by the device. I have this currently listed as "Continued Development of a Biomedical Device" and listed under the "other" category.
I feel that both of these names are poor but am lost as to how I can accurately title these sections. Any help is appreciated!
I like your first name, but since it will be similar to another activity name, could you add something to each title that suggests what the device will be used for, so as to help differentiate them?

For the second name, rather than "Continued", maybe use the word "Ongoing" instead?

how do these sound? For 2 does "ongoing" give the impression that I am still working on it or merely that it is still being developed? I ask because both devices are still in development/refinement. Thanks for your help!
1) Development of Novel Biomedical Respiratory Monitor
2) Ongoing Development of a Fluorescence Biomedical Device

Edit: I just thought of one more question, do we need to include an organization on each activity? I cant think of an organization that would apply to either of these two experiences. thanks!

how do these sound? For 2 does "ongoing" give the impression that I am still working on it or merely that it is still being developed? I ask because both devices are still in development/refinement. Thanks for your help!
1) Development of Novel Biomedical Respiratory Monitor
2) Ongoing Development of a Fluorescence Biomedical Device

Edit: I just thought of one more question, do we need to include an organization on each activity? I cant think of an organization that would apply to either of these two experiences. thanks!
I had the impression that the first device was much further along and approaching marketability and that it had already been Invented. In fact, "Invention" might be substituted for "Development" in that title. "Ongoing" suggests the second device has further to go.

I think Organization is elective, but Engineering Department at Xxxx University would apply to both.

On the main page, there is the option to "Print PDF" or "Print HTML." Which is the version that ad comms see?
Right now, on the PDF version, the first line of my PS shows up awkwardly at the very bottom of one page, and then the rest of it shows up on the next 2 pages. The way the first line appears, it's easy to miss, and without it, it seems like I start the essay more abruptly on the following page.
Is this a legitimate cause for concern, or is there no way of predicting how the text will appear to the ad comms?
Sorry, I realize that this post is perhaps only tenuously on topic but kindly humor me. :)

1) On the main page, there is the option to "Print PDF" or "Print HTML." Which is the version that ad comms see?

Right now, on the PDF version, the first line of my PS shows up awkwardly at the very bottom of one page, and then the rest of it shows up on the next 2 pages. The way the first line appears, it's easy to miss, and without it, it seems like I start the essay more abruptly on the following page.
2) Is this a legitimate cause for concern, or is there no way of predicting how the text will appear to the ad comms?
Sorry, I realize that this post is perhaps only tenuously on topic but kindly humor me. :)
1) PDF.

2) No & No.

Status
Not open for further replies.