*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. Is 14 entries too much?
2. For the literature review, would contact title be neurologist or faculty advisor?
3. For publications, can I put "Chair of Endoscopic Surgery" instead of PI because it sounds cooler? (I'm using PI for associated research)
4. Can I list a fellow member of an organization as a contact since the former university contact is no longer working there? (I checked LinkedIn)
5. Are contact titles for students such as "Diwali Chair", "President" and "Executive Chair" self-explanatory or is "Fellow Student" better?
6. I look equally upon a year of volunteer work in the cardiology department since I saw so many procedures and learned so much as an undergraduate honor's thesis in history. What do you recommend as MM?
7. My other two MM topics are the non-thesis literature review and research associated with two publications. Should I pick more community service or leadership instead to vary it?
8. Since two physicians I shadowed are at one university medical center, and the other at a clinic, can I leave "Organization Name" and "Location" blank? (I know I can add the other email addresses of the physicians in the box, apart from the main contact)
9. Is there any point in selecting the dates for the physician shadowing if I plan to write the dates in the narrative next to each physician? (I don't want to be repetitive)
10. For a physician I shadowed, is "Pediatrician" better or "Chair of XXX Genetics Center"? (He's technically both)
1) No, unless you've fluffed up some of the entries to fill the spaces.
2) Faculty Advisor. If their being a Neurologist is relevant to the lit review, you could insert that fact into the project description.
3) No. Too much name dropping (title dropping?) will get you some groans or raised eyebrows.
4) Yes.
5) You can use their title, but include the pertinent organization in which they hold office.
6) You have to decide what had the most impact on you. Or you can pick MM because you need more space and have a lot to say. Or you can pick an activity that you think adcomms want to see (and be wrong half the time).
7) Some variation would be good. Including an activity where you deal more with people is a good strategy.
8) Yes.
9) You are required to enter header dates. You could pick a date range that encompasses all of them, since your Total Hours will also be all-inclusive, but still have specific dates and hours in your narrative.
10) You're name dropping again. :nono: The title is not relevant to this activity. Just pick Pediatrician.
 
Any idea what time today they will be submitted to schools for those already processed?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I have a question regarding listing my hours in the Work/Activities portion of AMCAS:
A few of my activities were only started about 3-4 months ago so I only have about 25 hours in each. I do find them very meaningful and would like to continue doing them. I would therefore assume that I should indicate the total hours that I expect to complete at each position. However, I may have to go out of state pending my acceptance at a full-time research program, in which case I would have to stop doing my current activities. So I am really not sure what to write.
Thank you!
 
Hey, I have a question regarding listing my hours in the Work/Activities portion of AMCAS:
A few of my activities were only started about 3-4 months ago so I only have about 25 hours in each. I do find them very meaningful and would like to continue doing them. I would therefore assume that I should indicate the total hours that I expect to complete at each position. However, I may have to go out of state pending my acceptance at a full-time research program, in which case I would have to stop doing my current activities. So I am really not sure what to write.
I suggest you use the Repeated function with the first date span, say, Apr 2015 to July 2015, entering the hours you will have completed by the day of application submission. The Second date span would be July 2015 until the earliest you'd start that research gig, and you'd enter the theoretical completed hours in that box. Then in the narrative, you say at the end of the description: "I plan to continue with this activity until x/xx/xx (a third potential end date) unless I am accepted to (an out of state research program) by z/zz (month/year)."
 
Hello
I was wondering how do I categorize the MARC U*STAR program?
For conferences is it okay to put my program coordinator and a contact person?
 
1) The PDF version is the one that we see. And the skipped lines used as paragraph indicators do show up.

2) I think that numbering them makes it more clear that the space represents more than one activity.

3) I think "overkill" is a good way to describe that choice.


Hi Catalystik,

I know this might be a dumb question, but how do you print out work experiences in the format that it will be reviewed? I made a list for the descriptions for some of my ECs and put spaces between them. However, when I view the details and print it through AMCAS, the spaces don't appear and the lists are jumbled together in paragraph form. Thanks for the help again.
 
Thank you!

-Would it be crass to list topics that we discussed during the youth activism thing? Like gun violence, increasing student debt, etc? I don't want to sound too political.
-For the Diwali dances, I listed the dances but should I also say what the dances encompassed or is it fine to say that we "demonstrated an artistic passion" and "gained a greater appreciation for diverse forms of music"? (I know most reading this won't be familiar with South Asian dances)
-For MM activities, does length of time matter? I don't want to choose an activity for three months then if it will sound too abrupt and too insignificant
-If the organization name for a publication is the name of the journal and I don't name drop in the contact title, how can I drop in the name of the school? Can I do "Smith MD, XXXXX" for the contact's last name where X represents the initials of the medical school?
-For Professors, would we say "Professor John Smith" or "Professor John Smith, PhD"?
 
A question about listing my shadowing experiences. I have a lot of shadowing experiences, and I listed all of them under one entry b/c I don't want to fluff up my Work/Activities section. I added up all of the hours that I spent shadowing, and put that sum into the "Total Hours" entry.

In the experience description section, I listed all of my shadowing experience as follows:
- Pediatrics Rounds. Contact: Dr. XYZ (email address)
- Shadowing a neurologist. Contact: Dr. XYZ (email address)
etc..

But the issue is that b/c I have so much experiences, I don't have enough space to list the specific dates and hours for each experience. I also don't want to waste the most meaningful experience essay on this kind of information b/c I want to use that space to discuss what I learned, what I observed, and why it made me want to go into medicine.

Is this ok, or is important that I list the dates and hours for each experience? (If it is important and/or required, I can split my shadowing experiences into 2 entries, that would buy me more space.)
 
Last edited:
1) I was wondering how do I categorize the MARC U*STAR program?
2) For conferences is it okay to put my program coordinator and a contact person?
1) That you got the grant would go under Honors/Awards. The research you got involved in would go under Research. If you are short on space, you could mention the recognition in the title of the Research entry, instead of listing it separately.
2) What was your role at the conference and what was its focus?
 
how do you print out work experiences in the format that it will be reviewed? I made a list for the descriptions for some of my ECs and put spaces between them. However, when I view the details and print it through AMCAS, the spaces don't appear and the lists are jumbled together in paragraph form.
Go back to the Main Menu, select Print Application on the right, select Print PDF Application.
 
-Would it be crass to list topics that we discussed during the youth activism thing? Like gun violence, increasing student debt, etc? I don't want to sound too political.
-For the Diwali dances, I listed the dances but should I also say what the dances encompassed or is it fine to say that we "demonstrated an artistic passion" and "gained a greater appreciation for diverse forms of music"? (I know most reading this won't be familiar with South Asian dances)
-For MM activities, does length of time matter? I don't want to choose an activity for three months then if it will sound too abrupt and too insignificant
-If the organization name for a publication is the name of the journal and I don't name drop in the contact title, how can I drop in the name of the school? Can I do "Smith MD, XXXXX" for the contact's last name where X represents the initials of the medical school?
-For Professors, would we say "Professor John Smith" or "Professor John Smith, PhD"?
-No.
-I'd start with a more general description and then get more specific. Those with an interest will continue reading.
-No.
-Your suggestion works fine, but you'll have to spell out the name of the med school.
-How about John Smith, PhD, Professor in XXX (name of dept)?
 
A question about listing my shadowing experiences. I have a lot of shadowing experiences, and I listed all of them under one entry b/c I don't want to fluff up my Work/Activities section. I added up all of the hours that I spent shadowing, and put that sum into the "Total Hours" entry.

In the experience description section, I listed all of my shadowing experience as follows:
- Pediatrics Rounds. Contact: Dr. XYZ (email address)
- Shadowing a neurologist. Contact: Dr. XYZ (email address)
etc..

But the issue is that b/c I have so much experiences, I don't have enough space to list the specific dates and hours for each experience. I also don't want to waste the most meaningful experience essay on this kind of information b/c I want to use that space to discuss what I learned, what I observed, and why it made me want to go into medicine.

Is this ok, or is important that I list the dates and hours for each experience? (If it is important and/or required, I can split my shadowing experiences into 2 entries, that would buy me more space.)
Could you manage to list specific information for the more substantial accumulations of hours, or alternatively, those you found most interesting? Then later in the narrative, you could be more vague and summarize for the rest. See post #359 on page 8.
 
For our most meaningful experiences, does anyone how much liberty we have in choosing how many characters to allocate to describing what I did and how many to allocate towards describing how the experience shaped me?

My descriptions use 1000-1500 characters to describe what it is/what I did and only the remaining characters to describe how it shaped me. I don't really want to change it at this point... >_<
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Catalystik If I started a new activity a few days after submitting my amcas, how can I convey this to schools who don't have something in secondaries where I can include it? Would I email each school with an update letter or something? If so, do I need to be description/reflect on what I have learned from this activity? Also, in this update letter do I need to include something about my interest in the school?
 
For our most meaningful experiences, does anyone how much liberty we have in choosing how many characters to allocate to describing what I did and how many to allocate towards describing how the experience shaped me?

My descriptions use 1000-1500 characters to describe what it is/what I did and only the remaining characters to describe how it shaped me. I don't really want to change it at this point... >_<
If you decide to use the space creatively, you need to be careful that you have a gracefully ending paragraph right at the 700 character limit for the first portion. You can pick up your narrative again in the next 1325 character space. But when the entry prints out, both sections flow together with only a blank line, like a paragraphing space, appearing between them. The MM space is marked by a notation to the left of the left margin, like, "Most Meaningful Experience Remarks". Be sure to check how it will print out by going to Main Menu>Print Application> Print PDF Application so you know you were not cut off after 700 characters in an unexpected place.
 
@Catalystik If I started a new activity a few days after submitting my amcas, how can I convey this to schools who don't have something in secondaries where I can include it? Would I email each school with an update letter or something? If so, do I need to be description/reflect on what I have learned from this activity? Also, in this update letter do I need to include something about my interest in the school?
A newly started activity with few accumulated hours will have no impact on your application's evaluation. I suggest you wait a few months until you have some decent hours built up before letting schools know about it via update letter (where allowed). At that point you'd have not only a description, but could also comment on your role, and insights gained. Interviews are another way to communicate new information, if the conversation goes in that direction.

A rule of thumb for update letters is that they not exceed 1 page. You will have other pertinent facts to include in the same communication, so you will have to express all you need to very succinctly.
 
A newly started activity with few accumulated hours will have no impact on your application's evaluation. I suggest you wait a few months until you have some decent hours built up before letting schools know about it via update letter (where allowed). At that point you'd have not only a description, but could also comment on your role, and insights gained. Interviews are another way to communicate new information, if the conversation goes in that direction.

A rule of thumb for update letters is that they not exceed 1 page. You will have other pertinent facts to include in the same communication, so you will have to express all you need to very succinctly.
24 hours? If this is the only thing I am including in the letter, it will barely be a paragraph. Too short?
 
What naming convention to choose? I realize there is post #2, but I didn't find it very helpful:
1. Physician Shadowing (Oncology) // Oncology Shadowing // Physician Shadowing, Oncology
2. Researcher in Biomedical Science // Researcher, Biomedical Science // Researcher
 
What naming convention to choose? I realize there is post #2, but I didn't find it very helpful:
1. Physician Shadowing (Oncology) // Oncology Shadowing // Physician Shadowing, Oncology
2. Researcher in Biomedical Science // Researcher, Biomedical Science // Researcher
1. Office-based Oncology Observation
2) Research Assistant (or Aide, or Tech, unless you designed the project, then use "Researcher") for Biomedical Science Project

Did you see item #18 in post 2?
 
1. Office-based Oncology Observation
2) Research Assistant (or Aide, or Tech, unless you designed the project, then use "Researcher") for Biomedical Science Project

Did you see item #18 in post 2?

I wasn't sure how to name this though. Would Associate be better? I was independently working on a project assigned to me by a Professor. I was actually doing the type of work graduate students were doing, which is largely independent work but within the scope of the lab's project.
 
If you decide to use the space creatively, you need to be careful that you have a gracefully ending paragraph right at the 700 character limit for the first portion. You can pick up your narrative again in the next 1325 character space. But when the entry prints out, both sections flow together with only a blank line, like a paragraphing space, appearing between them. The MM space is marked by a notation to the left of the left margin, like, "Most Meaningful Experience Remarks". Be sure to check how it will print out by going to Main Menu>Print Application> Print PDF Application so you know you were not cut off after 700 characters in an unexpected place.
Thanks for the advice! I will try print previewing!
 
Hey, I was wondering if I am supposed to write in present tense for an activity that I am currently doing but wont be doing by the time the schools read my application.
Thanks
 
@Catalystik

Under the topic of Letters of Rec, is my sorority chapter adviser considered part of the University I attend? She doesn't teach here, and the only ties she has to my school is that she is the chapter adviser.
 
Who should I put for a reference for activities when it was a long time ago (I'm a non-trad) and the people involved have moved on? In the case of my old summer jobs at Six Flags, I've listed my manager as a reference, but I'm not sure he works there any more (for his sake I hope not). I also don't have my payslips saved so I'm not sure how accurate my estimates of the hours worked are. For two volunteering activities, these were also summer activities where my supervisors have moved on to other places since. I'm having trouble double-checking my hour estimations for these places since they haven't kept great records either. What should I do about references for these?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Who should I put for a reference for activities when it was a long time ago (I'm a non-trad) and the people involved have moved on? In the case of my old summer jobs at Six Flags, I've listed my manager as a reference, but I'm not sure he works there any more (for his sake I hope not). I also don't have my payslips saved so I'm not sure how accurate my estimates of the hours worked are. For two volunteering activities, these were also summer activities where my supervisors have moved on to other places since. I'm having trouble double-checking my hour estimations for these places since they haven't kept great records either. What should I do about references for these?
You're not providing a contact for the purpose of getting references. A contact would be made only to confirm dates and work hours. So the person doesn't have to know you. You can just list the Employment/Human Resources Office. For hours, give your best conservative estimate.

For the volunteering you could use a volunteer office, co-volunteer, officer of a group, or yourself, as a last resort.
 
1) Is it Accepted pending minor revision or Accepted pending major revision? What triggered the revisions?

The paper describes the creation of a large database of biological data.

The referees stated that the project does have merit. But they also wrote that they want the authors to discuss how they will address various challenges of such an undertaking, for instance cellular variability, reproducibility, statistical power. They also want a discussion of data analysis plans.

The PI called the critiques fair and addressable.
 
The paper describes the creation of a large database of biological data.

The referees stated that the project does have merit. But they also wrote that they want the authors to discuss how they will address various challenges of such an undertaking, for instance cellular variability, reproducibility, statistical power. They also want a discussion of data analysis plans.

The PI called the critiques fair and addressable.
At the end of the project description, add something like,"Third-authored manuscript reviewed by [journal name] and pending revisions: (you might add a tentative title for the paper here, if there is space)" When it is accepted for publication, it will make for a good addition to your future update letters.
 
At the end of the project description, add something like,"Third-authored manuscript reviewed by [journal name] and pending revisions: (you might add a tentative title for the paper here, if there is space)" When it is accepted for publication, it will make for a good addition to your future update letters.

This is great advice, thank you!
But if it gets rejected (worst case scenario), will it make my application look bad?
 
If it gets rejected (worst case scenario), will it make my application look bad?
No, because you won't have claimed anything that isn't true, namely that the work has some merit, but needs to be expanded. Sometimes revisions take a long time, or never happen at all (which you may have little control over). And you aren't obliged to mention if the paper got rejected.
 
I am trying to list a shadowing experience. I looked at the first page of the thread but couldn't figure out where I would put "Dr." or "M.D". Do I put Dr in the slot that asks for his first name and just list it before that? Also would his title be physician or would I write his specialty? Thanks again Catalystik!
 
I am trying to list a shadowing experience. I looked at the first page of the thread but couldn't figure out where I would put "Dr." or "M.D". Do I put Dr in the slot that asks for his first name and just list it before that? Also would his title be physician or would I write his specialty?
See post #859 on page 18. Title could be Attending Physician, but the specialty name is better IMO.
 
In terms of listing things from high school -- what is ok to list. For instance, I'm guessing playing sports/heading and starting clubs/and work experiences are not things to list. But are things like volunteering in a nursing home, my first research internship, and/or international/national awards/competitions ok to list?
 
In terms of listing things from high school -- what is ok to list. For instance, I'm guessing playing sports/heading and starting clubs/and work experiences are not things to list. But are things like volunteering in a nursing home, my first research internship, and/or international/national awards/competitions ok to list?
There's no "rule" you can't list HS activities, but many wouldn't be worth listing since they will not impact adcomm decision-making or make you memorable. Here is the SDN "Hive Mind" thinking on the matter:

Any HS activity that continued into the college years (defined as post-HS graduation) can be listed. This would include activities at the same location, and some that are in the same category. The latter might be research activities and shadowing (but the shadowing should be mentioned as an end note after recent shadowing, and not included in the Total Hours box).

Extraordinary HS accomplishments can be included, like winning Olympic medals, professional sport involvement, artistic endeavors exhibited on a national stage, perhaps.

Volunteering in a clinical setting that did not continue into college would be better mentioned in the PS as part of your journey to medicine.

Eagle Scout is included by some, without raising eyebrows, but personally, I feel this should be augmented by scout leader involvement during the college years.

This is what crosses my mind at the moment. If I think of other comments, I'll come back and add them. If you have specific experiences in mind, you can ask here and then delete them later after I respond, if you feel they make you too identifiable.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Thanks! I incorporated the volunteering in the nursing home briefly in my PS🙂

1) In terms of my research experience . .

2) Notable Pre-College Academic Competitions and Awards: . . .

Do you think any of those are worth keeping? (Maybe those before XXXX State Scholar?)
1) Yes, include it. 2) Don't include National Merit Scholar, National Honor Society, or AP Scholar with Distinction. Religiously-based distinctions probably won't have the impact one might wish for, so you'll have to decide if they will enhance your application for enough of your intended audience and be worth the space to explain.
 
Last edited:
1) Yes, include it. 2) Don't include National Merit Scholar, National Honor Society, or AP Scholar with Distinction. Religiously-based distinctions probably won't have the impact one might wish for, so you'll have to decide if they will enhance your application for enough of your intended audience and be worth the space to explain.

Did I make my response generic enough? To edit out your response, you need to leave at least one character in the box, I think.

Yes--thanks!
 
How would I indicate that I attended multiple conferences on the same subject over the course of a few months? It only allows me to put a single date under "Conferences Attended".
Thanks!
 
How would I indicate that I attended multiple conferences on the same subject over the course of a few months? It only allows me to put a single date under "Conferences Attended".
Thanks!
You'd add a note in the narrative box, " Also attended . . . " giving similar info you put in the header for the first conference.

BTW, if you mentioned any of these conferences in another entry, like Posters/Presentations, there is no need to include them.
 
1. If I worked at a theatre for more than a year as a cashier, which category should I use to list my job experience?

2. Also, I worked with verizon last summer. I did quality control of the cell phones and fixed returned cell phones. Does this go to "Other"?

Although both of them were paid experiences, I don't know if they fit under "Paid employment-medical/clinical" or "Paid employment-not-medical/clincal"

3. I volunteered at a local thrift store last winter. What category should I list it under?

I am having a great confusion on what "not-medical/clinical" covers in terms of paid employment or volunteer positions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.