*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not too sure if this was asked before, but is there a way to better format the description of the work/activities? When I click "show details" the description looks like a whole paragraph. I've added a hyphen (-) in between in bullet point to sort of separate them and was wondering if that's okay or if there's no way to format the description section?
 
Not too sure if this was asked before, but is there a way to better format the description of the work/activities? When I click "show details" the description looks like a whole paragraph. I've added a hyphen (-) in between in bullet point to sort of separate them and was wondering if that's okay or if there's no way to format the description section?
To see the application the way adcomms view it, go to Main Menu on the first page, click Print on the right, and check the PDF view. It will show paragraphs properly and allow for bullet point format (using a dash instead of a small round spot).
 
what does "conferences attended" mean? should we list the conferences we attended/presented in a lot or is it not necessary if we listed it in the posters/presentations slot?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what does "conferences attended" mean? should we list the conferences we attended/presented in a lot or is it not necessary if we listed it in the posters/presentations slot?
If the conferences are mentioned elsewhere you would not enter them again, unless you had a leadership or organizational role with a given conference, then you could use a Conferences Attended space to discuss that role.
 
This thread has been immensely helpful - thank you!

My last work/activity I'm still not clear about is having an abstract published. I read the post a couple pages ago detailing how to cite it, but just to make sure - if a study was presented at a national conference and its abstract (not the full paper) was published in a peer-reviewed journal, then we should list the experience as a "poster/presentation" and cite the abstract in the description?

Or do we list the experience type under "publications" and mention the conference/poster in the description?
 
One last question (I hope):

I have been doing campaigning for organ donation awareness for quite some time now. Basically, I attend events occurring in my community and set up a booth. I also deliver speeches at certain events. However, there is no ONE person (other than family) that I can list as a contact to verify all of the various events that I have been to. I also don't want to waste my space listing a bunch of contacts. How would I list a contact for this - should I just do one of the event coordinators and ensure that they know about the other events I have attended?
 
This thread has been immensely helpful - thank you!

My last work/activity I'm still not clear about is having an abstract published. I read the post a couple pages ago detailing how to cite it, but just to make sure - if a study was presented at a national conference and its abstract (not the full paper) was published in a peer-reviewed journal, then we should list the experience as a "poster/presentation" and cite the abstract in the description?

Or do we list the experience type under "publications" and mention the conference/poster in the description?
Is the abstract pub med searchable and appearing in the regular issue of a paper journal? Or does it appear in a supplement to the journal?
 
I have been doing campaigning for organ donation awareness for quite some time now. Basically, I attend events occurring in my community and set up a booth. I also deliver speeches at certain events. However, there is no ONE person (other than family) that I can list as a contact to verify all of the various events that I have been to. I also don't want to waste my space listing a bunch of contacts. How would I list a contact for this - should I just do one of the event coordinators and ensure that they know about the other events I have attended?
Listing the most objective verifier is best. I like your last option the most.
 
How do you handle activities you plan on continuing next year? Do you put the end date as your graduation date and list expected hours, or do you put the end date at the application date and only list hours you have done?
 
Is the abstract pub med searchable and appearing in the regular issue of a paper journal? Or does it appear in a supplement to the journal?

Ah, it looks like it's the supplement to the journal (and although the journal is searchable on pubmed, the supplement is not). I think that basically answers my question - it should be listed under "posters/presentations" and the citation for the abstract mentioned in the description?
 
If I was involved in lab at my community college and did three poster presentations for it, then transferred and joined another lab and did 2 poster presentations for it, how do I go about entering this?
Would I make two entries for each lab/research and then two entries for poster presentations for each lab?


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
 
How do you handle activities you plan on continuing next year? Do you put the end date as your graduation date and list expected hours, or do you put the end date at the application date and only list hours you have done?
If you are sure of future involvement hours, consider using the Repeated feature to list completed hours up until today (June) and then the future date span , starting with June and ending at graduation. All the hours will appear in the header.

Alternatively, list just the current hours and add future plans to the narrative space, especially if you're less sure of hours or won't be involved over the upcoming summer.
 
If I was involved in lab at my community college and did three poster presentations for it, then transferred and joined another lab and did 2 poster presentations for it, how do I go about entering this?
Would I make two entries for each lab/research and then two entries for poster presentations for each lab?
Were all the posters presented at your local school Research Symposium Day, or were some at Regional or National Conferences? Did any of the posters relate to the same data set?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Were all the posters presented at your local school Research Symposium Day, or were some at Regional or National Conferences? Did any of the posters relate to the same data set?

These are the poster presentations for my work in community college research lab (same poster for all presentations):

-Presented for Community College Biology and Chemistry faculty

-Presented on campus to the Chancellor of California Community Colleges, and other invited guests

-Presented in West Coast Biological Sciences Undergraduate Research Conference in San Diego


For my presentations in university, one was in an undergrad research symposium and one was for the department I'm in and it's faculty



Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
 
If I was involved in lab at my community college and did three poster presentations for it, then transferred and joined another lab and did 2 poster presentations for it, how do I go about entering this?
Would I make two entries for each lab/research and then two entries for poster presentations for each lab?
1) These are the poster presentations for my work in community college research lab (same poster for all presentations):

a)-Presented for Community College Biology and Chemistry faculty

b)-Presented on campus to the Chancellor of California Community Colleges, and other invited guests

c)-Presented in West Coast Biological Sciences Undergraduate Research Conference in San Diego


2) For my presentations in university, one was in an undergrad research symposium and one was for the department I'm in and it's faculty.
Have two Research spaces, one for each school.

Additionally, I suggest listing 1c) first in a Presentations/Posters space. After the citation, mention that the same poster was also presented in the other two venues (give details of date, location, name of conferences).

For 2) you could either add them to the research space with which they are affiliated, or if you have space, you might include them in the existing Presentations/Posters space. Even though campus presentations don't generally deserve their own space since they don't undergo a competitive review and selection process (often, in fact, they are required), since you have one poster at a more prestigious venue, you can mention other productivity in the same space if they fit better there.

See item 20 in post #2 on page 1 of this thread for a review of how to enter research-related activities.
 
Have two Research spaces, one for each school.

Additionally, I suggest listing 1c) first in a Presentations/Posters space. After the citation, mention that the same poster was also presented in the other two venues (give details of date, location, name of conferences).

For 2) you could either add them to the research space with which they are affiliated, or if you have space, you might include them in the existing Presentations/Posters space. Even though campus presentations don't generally deserve their own space since they don't undergo a competitive review and selection process (often, in fact, they are required), since you have one poster at a more prestigious venue, you can mention other productivity in the same space if they fit better there.

See item 20 in post #2 on page 1 of this thread for a review of how to enter research-related activities.

If you're listed on a poster as an author but aren't the first author/presenter should that go in its own slot? I think it was presented at some international event but I wasn't the presenter

Also if I list my volunteering as "volunteering" but put my leadership positions in the titles will they get the idea that it's also leadership?
 
1) If you're listed on a poster as an author but aren't the first author/presenter should that go in its own slot? I think it was presented at some international event but I wasn't the presenter

2) Also if I list my volunteering as "volunteering" but put my leadership positions in the titles will they get the idea that it's also leadership?
1) If your name is on the poster, you can still take credit for it, provided you give credit to the actual presenter. You need to be sure before including it, if it was presented in a 4th venue.

2) Yes. Of course, you'd discuss the leadership role in your description with the sub-dates, in the narrative.
 
@Catalystik--

I believe you touched on this earlier, but if I am listing founding a photography business as an artistic endeavor that I have pursued independently for the last few years, is it okay to list myself as a contact? I don't have an advisor, teacher/mentor, or partner who has worked with me on this project.
 
Have two Research spaces, one for each school.

Additionally, I suggest listing 1c) first in a Presentations/Posters space. After the citation, mention that the same poster was also presented in the other two venues (give details of date, location, name of conferences).

For 2) you could either add them to the research space with which they are affiliated, or if you have space, you might include them in the existing Presentations/Posters space. Even though campus presentations don't generally deserve their own space since they don't undergo a competitive review and selection process (often, in fact, they are required), since you have one poster at a more prestigious venue, you can mention other productivity in the same space if they fit better there.

See item 20 in post #2 on page 1 of this thread for a review of how to enter research-related activities.

Thank you so much, you've been a great help!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
@Catalystik--

I believe you touched on this earlier, but if I am listing founding a photography business as an artistic endeavor that I have pursued independently for the last few years, is it okay to list myself as a contact? I don't have an advisor, teacher/mentor, or partner who has worked with me on this project.
Yes, title yourself "Owner" or somesuch.
 
I was wondering if it is worth putting 6 hours of shadowing a cardiologist on my application or would this be considered fluff? I have approximately 3500 hours as an ED scribe, and I feel like this experience wasn't very impactful compared to my other experiences.
 
I was wondering if it is worth putting 6 hours of shadowing a cardiologist on my application or would this be considered fluff? I have approximately 3500 hours as an ED scribe, and I feel like this experience wasn't very impactful compared to my other experiences.
I would not list a 6 hour experience if you have no other dedicated shadowing to include in the same space. Aren't there any other purely observational times you can recall when just hanging out in the ER that you could carve out of your work hours?
 
I would not list a 6 hour experience if you have no other dedicated shadowing to include in the same space. Aren't there any other purely observational times you can recall when just hanging out in the ER that you could carve out of your work hours?

I have observed other doctors outside of emergency medicine (surgery, urology, cardiology, etc.) while they were in the ED. I just don't have any exact time frame for this, and I do not have their contact info. Do you believe the scribing is sufficient or should I expand upon this "shadowing" so I do not short-change myself? Thanks for the help!
 
I have observed other doctors outside of emergency medicine (surgery, urology, cardiology, etc.) while they were in the ED. I just don't have any exact time frame for this, and I do not have their contact info. Do you believe the scribing is sufficient or should I expand upon this "shadowing" so I do not short-change myself? Thanks for the help!
In-person scribing should IMO be sufficient to cover shadowing, too, but all adcomms don't feel that way. So I think it's worth trying to shape a Shadowing entry, too. Whomever you have as Contact for the scribing might be used for the Shadowing space, too, if you give them a heads up. Alternatively, perhaps the nurse administrator or even an ED clerk might vouch for you.

Your entry could explain the context of the physician observation being based on unforeseen opportunities. List the 6 hour experience first, though, since it was a more traditional experience.

Then say, "In addition to cardiology, I estimate an additional XX hours (included above) during winter 2015 watching surgery and urology physicians during breaks from my scribing tasks in the ED. Contact: zzz.

The total hours blank would be 6+XX.
 
In-person scribing should IMO be sufficient to cover shadowing, too, but all adcomms don't feel that way. So I think it's worth trying to shape a Shadowing entry, too. Whomever you have as Contact for the scribing might be used for the Shadowing space, too, if you give them a heads up. Alternatively, perhaps the nurse administrator or even an ED clerk might vouch for you.

Your entry could explain the context of the physician observation being based on unforeseen opportunities. List the 6 hour experience first, though, since it was a more traditional experience.

Then say, "In addition to cardiology, I estimate an additional XX hours (included above) during winter 2015 watching surgery and urology physicians during breaks from my scribing tasks in the ED. Contact: zzz.

The total hours blank would be 6+XX.
Thank you! This was very helpful.
 
Who/how do I put contact info for a student leadership role in a student org? Would it be another student leader?
 
I posted this in the official AMCAS thread, but seems more pertinent to this one:

My apologies if this question has been asked before (I promise I searched). I own a photography business, which I have been managing since 2008. Do I just put myself as the contact for this? Is it an artistic endeavor or paid employment - non clinical? It's profitable, so it's not a hobby. I will include my EIN number in the description.

Also, I created a design website as a kind of artistic hobby (I also make some money off it, but really just a few bucks a year). I was planning to list it as artistic endeavor. Or is it a hobby? It's kind of up in the air. It could also vaguely fall under paid employment, but that would be stretching it. Again, do I put myself as the main contact?

The rest of my experiences seem relatively straight forward.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do I do if all my shadowing doesn't fit in 700 characters? I've shadowed 3 different specialties seeing patients, but I also got to shadow two physicians who run a class for surgeons and residents teaching new techniques etc. (24hrs total that I shadowed). Just based on the title of the courses I can't fit all this info in 700 characters, but I feel like if I don't have the title of the course it's not good, how do you propose I fix this, should I separate the two? I feel like no but I don't know what to do. For example I shadowed this course at a specific medical school ATOM Course Listing but since i did two different courses with different docs I can't fit it all since the titles are long
 
What do I do if all my shadowing doesn't fit in 700 characters? I've shadowed 3 different specialties seeing patients, but I also got to shadow two physicians who run a class for surgeons and residents teaching new techniques etc. (24hrs total that I shadowed). Just based on the title of the courses I can't fit all this info in 700 characters, but I feel like if I don't have the title of the course it's not good, how do you propose I fix this, should I separate the two? I feel like no but I don't know what to do. For example I shadowed this course at a specific medical school ATOM Course Listing but since i did two different courses with different docs I can't fit it all since the titles are long

This problem is so intractable I suggest you simply dont apply and that will solve the issue..... just joking

Well you have to either: (and yes these are the only options you get on this multiple choice exam

abbreviate the course names (or drop them entirely as no one is likely to be impressed by them)
OR
use a separate entry where you list the long course names for some relatively short shadowing time

At least to me, the long course names are as likely to look pompous and bloated as they are impressive.

@Catalystik may have a more optimistic way for this issue
 
This problem is so intractable I suggest you simply dont apply and that will solve the issue..... just joking

Well you have to either: (and yes these are the only options you get on this multiple choice exam

abbreviate the course names (or drop them entirely as no one is likely to be impressed by them)
OR
use a separate entry where you list the long course names for some relatively short shadowing time

At least to me, the long course names are as likely to look pompous and bloated as they are impressive.

@Catalystik may have a more optimistic way for this issue

I think I would rather keep all of the shadowing in one thing, I think the best is to abbreviate the course such as the one I mentioned say "ATOM Course for Trauma Surgery- Shadowed Dr. XYZ for X hours"

Also another question, when you list contact info for each physician is phone number and city okay? Or do we need contact info for each doc since their contact info is online (I know this is probably a stupid question but it saves space)
 
Last edited:
1) I own a photography business, which I have been managing since 2008. Do I just put myself as the contact for this? Is it an artistic endeavor or paid employment - non clinical? It's profitable, so it's not a hobby. I will include my EIN number in the description.

2) I created a design website as a kind of artistic hobby (I also make some money off it, but really just a few bucks a year). I was planning to list it as artistic endeavor. Or is it a hobby? It's kind of up in the air. It could also vaguely fall under paid employment, but that would be stretching it. Again, do I put myself as the main contact?
1) Artistic Endeavor. You are the contact. Your title can be Owner. Don't waste characters on your EIN.

2) Hobby is good. You don't need a contact.
 
I think I would rather keep all of the shadowing in one thing,
1) I think the best is to abbreviate the course such as the one I mentioned say "ATOM Course for Trauma Surgery- Shadowed Dr. XYZ for X hours"

2) when you list contact info for each physician is phone number and city okay? Or do we need contact info for each doc since their contact info is online (I know this is probably a stupid question but it saves space)
1) No adcomm will care about the name of the courses. A summary description like that in your first post is fine.

2) Ideally you'll give phone or email for each doc unless a coordinator set up the shadowing opportunities for you. If you run out of space after listing a bunch of docs, summarize the rest with hours and specialty only, at the end.
 
I shadowed four doctors for 1 or 2 days throughout the year (42 hours total), then shadowed one doctor for three months (80 hours total). The longer shadowing experience had a significant impact on me and will be one of my most meaningful experiences. I'm planning to separate the two shadowing experiences - maybe into "individual shadowing" and "significant shadowing" or some other titles (feel free to suggest some) so I can go into more depth with the one - is this a waste of an experience? It's hard to list the doctors' names and contact info and have any space for descriptions. While there might be other experiences I could list, there don't seem to be any of consequence that would be missed if I skipped them.
 
I shadowed four doctors for 1 or 2 days throughout the year (42 hours total), then shadowed one doctor for three months (80 hours total). The longer shadowing experience had a significant impact on me and will be one of my most meaningful experiences. I'm planning to separate the two shadowing experiences - maybe into "individual shadowing" and "significant shadowing" or some other titles (feel free to suggest some) so I can go into more depth with the one - is this a waste of an experience? It's hard to list the doctors' names and contact info and have any space for descriptions. While there might be other experiences I could list, there don't seem to be any of consequence that would be missed if I skipped them.
Having two shadowing entries with one dedicated to a MM entry (if you need even more space) is fine. I'm not crazy about the two titles though. Maybe one could refer to the inclusion of multiple specialties in the space and the other state the one specialty of the MM doc?
 
Having two shadowing entries with one dedicated to a MM entry (if you need even more space) is fine. I'm not crazy about the two titles though. Maybe one could refer to the inclusion of multiple specialties in the space and the other state the one specialty of the MM doc?

I like that idea. Maybe "Physician Shadowing - Multiple Specialties" and "Physician Shadowing - Gynecological Oncology"? I'm happy to shorten it, if needed.
 
If I gave a presentation for work at a national conference, can I list that under the 700 character description? It seems to be a waste to have it as its own entry.
 
What did you present? Is it based on research or a project listed elsewhere?

It wasn't related to medicine, so I just listed it briefly under my work (I worked at an engineering firm - I did use that experience as one of my most meaningful as I was there for 11 years, but didn't go into details on the presentation. Let me know if I should). We presented the methodology behind one of our engineering design/build projects, and how municipalities could provide stormwater nutrient removal credits to enable smaller businesses to obtain permits without having to provide additional environmental impacts and wetland mitigation. On the one hand, we developed the first "wetland mitigation bank" in FL, which is pretty cool. But I switched gears to medicine and am not sure it will help me in any way, so I have it listed in the 700 character description as "Presented at National AWRA Conference, 2016." It was a tag team event and I let the soon-to-be-retired boss do most of the actual talking. Thoughts? I feel like it shows that I'm happy to present at national conferences, but not necessarily deserving of its own spot. I've been out of school for 15 years, so I'm trying to condense things. However, if you think it's deserving of at least more than just a nod, I could consider writing more about it. 1325 characters is not a lot of space to fit 11 years into.

I also wrote a 288-page undergraduate thesis and listed the poster presentation and oral defense in the description. I'd hate to lose two additional spots for something from 15 years ago where there's little to add (even though it was one amazing experience).
 
1) It wasn't related to medicine, so I just listed it briefly under my work (I worked at an engineering firm - I did use that experience as one of my most meaningful as I was there for 11 years, but didn't go into details on the presentation. Let me know if I should). We presented the methodology behind one of our engineering design/build projects, and how municipalities could provide stormwater nutrient removal credits to enable smaller businesses to obtain permits without having to provide additional environmental impacts and wetland mitigation. On the one hand, we developed the first "wetland mitigation bank" in FL, which is pretty cool. But I switched gears to medicine and am not sure it will help me in any way, so

2) I have it listed in the 700 character description as "Presented at National AWRA Conference, 2016." It was a tag team event and I let the soon-to-be-retired boss do most of the actual talking. Thoughts? I feel like it shows that I'm happy to present at national conferences, but not necessarily deserving of its own spot. I've been out of school for 15 years, so I'm trying to condense things. However, if you think it's deserving of at least more than just a nod, I could consider writing more about it. 1325 characters is not a lot of space to fit 11 years into.

3) ) I also wrote a 288-page undergraduate thesis and listed the poster presentation and oral defense in the description. I'd hate to lose two additional spots for something from 15 years ago where there's little to add (even though it was one amazing experience).
1) How many years ago did you present this?

2) How many minutes did you speak?
Did you spell out AWRA somewhere?

3) I agree with your reasoning.
 
1) How many years ago did you present this?

2) How many minutes did you speak?
Did you spell out AWRA somewhere?

3) I agree with your reasoning.

I presented in November (2016) - didn't spell AWRA out, but I *could* fit it in. I didn't speak long - the entire presentation was 20 minutes, and I was just a small portion. I figured it was better to mention, but not go into details. The most significant part was how we created the mitigation bank, but I'm pretty sure ADCOMs won't know what that is or really care.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I presented in November (2016) - didn't spell AWRA out, but I *could* fit it in. I didn't speak long - the entire presentation was 20 minutes, and I was just a small portion. I figured it was better to mention, but not go into details. The most significant part was how we created the mitigation bank, but I'm pretty sure ADCOMs won't know what that is or really care.
I'd care. I think it sounds interesting, but it might not do you any favors to have an interview derailed by talking about it in detail, if an adcomm brings it up, as it would take away from other important topics. Considering the brevity of your part of the talk, I suggest just leaving as you have it, but maybe instead of "AWRA", say "a national engineering conference" or somesuch that uses fewer spaces than the spelled out conference.

In general, don't use an acronym unless your grandmother knows what it means.
 
I'd care. I think it sounds interesting, but it might not do you any favors to have an interview derailed by talking about it in detail, if an adcomm brings it up, as it would take away from other important topics. Considering the brevity of your part of the talk, I suggest just leaving as you have it, but maybe instead of "AWRA", say "a national engineering conference" or somesuch that uses fewer spaces than the spelled out conference.

In general, don't use an acronym unless your grandmother knows what it means.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll see what I can modify to add the name in, and then I'll try to add a mention of the mitigation credits. But I'll keep everything brief.
 
Hey guys,

If I'm starting a lab research position literally the day before I submit my AMCAS application (Next Tuesday), can I still included it in the work/activities section and how many estimated hours would I put because it's kind of hard to tell...

Thanks 🙂
 
Hey guys,

If I'm starting a lab research position literally the day before I submit my AMCAS application (Next Tuesday), can I still included it in the work/activities section and how many estimated hours would I put because it's kind of hard to tell...

Thanks 🙂

I was wondering the same since I just joined a new group a few weeks ago, but actual research doesn't start until mid-June. I mentioned it in one essay, but left it out of my activities (I've been out of school so long that I have too many things I have to address in that section). I imagine others may have better advice.
 
If I'm starting a lab research position literally the day before I submit my AMCAS application (Next Tuesday), can I still included it in the work/activities section and how many estimated hours would I put because it's kind of hard to tell...
You could, but will it add substantially to your application? It might be worth including if you have nothing else in that category. Or, you might choose to include it just so adcomms know your plans for the next year.

If you already have Research listed, consider a brief addendum at the end of that entry about the new position. This frees you from estimating hours (could give expected hours per week instead) and will give you something fresh to say on Secondaries and Update Letters later in the cycle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.