*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I have a question regarding how to classify an activity. Freshman year of ugrad for one of my courses the students developed campaigns and presented them as blue ribbon reports to a national organization. I was the campaign leader for my group, and we won an award from the organization at the end of the semester. Do I classify this as "leadership" even though it was a part of a class and not through an extracurricular? I would like to mention it if I can because the content of the campaign was personally meaningful to me and I also put a lot of work into it. Thank you! 🙂
 
Last edited:
Hi all, I have a question regarding how to classify an activity. Freshman year of ugrad for one of my courses the students developed campaigns and presented them as blue ribbon reports to a national organization. I was the campaign leader for my group, and we won an award from the organization at the end of the semester. Do I classify this as "leadership" even though it was a part of a class and not through an extracurricular? I would like to mention it if I can because the content of the campaign was personally meaningful to me and I also put a lot of work into it. Thank you! 🙂
Yes, it's fine to characterize the experience as Leadership, even though it was required by a class.
 
Sorry if this is neurotic, but when I enter the descriptions for my work/activities section, I use line breaks to separate certain things. For example, I use line breaks to seperate all the doctors I shadowed and their contact info. However, when I view the details of my work/activities section after saving, the line breaks are no longer present. Will adcoms view my descriptions how I enter it (with the line breaks), or how I see them (without the line breaks)?

For instance, the way I want it formatted is:
Doctor Y, surgeon
Shadowed for X hours in December
Observed Z procedures

The way it formats to is:
Doctor Y, surgeon Shadowed for X hours in December Observed Z procedures
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! So I participated in Alternative Spring Break at my school all four years I was there. Serving 3 of those years as a site leader and 1 of those years as treasurer (and site leader). I was wondering how I should format this to make it as clear as possible in the work/activities section. For example should I separate the activity into 2 slots: leadership and community service? Or just have it all in 1? And would "Alternative Spring Break Participant, Site Leader, and Treasurer" be too much for a title if I went the second route?
 
Sorry if this is neurotic, but when I enter the descriptions for my work/activities section, I use line breaks to separate certain things. For example, I use line breaks to seperate all the doctors I shadowed and their contact info. However, when I view the details of my work/activities section after saving, the line breaks are no longer present. Will adcoms view my descriptions how I enter it (with the line breaks), or how I see them (without the line breaks)?

For instance, the way I want it formatted is:
Doctor Y, surgeon
Shadowed for X hours in December
Observed Z procedures

The way it formats to is:
Doctor Y, surgeon Shadowed for X hours in December Observed Z procedures
You aren't viewing it from the correct location. Go to Main Menu on the first page, select Print on the right, pick PDF view. That's how adcomms will see it.
 
Hello! So I participated in Alternative Spring Break at my school all four years I was there. Serving 3 of those years as a site leader and 1 of those years as treasurer (and site leader). I was wondering how I should format this to make it as clear as possible in the work/activities section. For example should I separate the activity into 2 slots: leadership and community service? Or just have it all in 1? And would "Alternative Spring Break Participant, Site Leader, and Treasurer" be too much for a title if I went the second route?
The second option and the title are perfect. Tag it as Community Service.
 
You aren't viewing it from the correct location. Go to Main Menu on the first page, select Print on the right, pick PDF view. That's how adcomms will see it.

Thanks, that fixed my problem. One last question for anyone, I only have one slot left for publications. I combined my single 2nd author publication and listed conferences I presented at. I did this because I do not have enough slots left for a "publication" and "posters" tab. Is it alright to combine these? Alternatively, I could ax my hobbies slot to have a publication and posters slot
 
I was a committee member for a major fundraising event for two years in a row. I'm assuming this is Community Service and not Leadership?
 
I only have one slot left for publications. I combined my single 2nd author publication and listed conferences I presented at. I did this because I do not have enough slots left for a "publication" and "posters" tab. Is it alright to combine these? Alternatively, I could ax my hobbies slot to have a publication and posters slot
If the posters and pub are related to the same project, no problem. If they aren't, I could live with it rather than get rid of Hobbies. See item 20 in post #2, on page 1, for strategies related to research listings.
 
If the posters and pub are related to the same project, no problem. If they aren't, I could live with it rather than get rid of Hobbies. See item 20 in post #2, on page 1, for strategies related to research listings.

You've probably answered this question many times already, but are hobbies seen as that important? I'll end up with fifteen activities that all fall under research, community service (clinical and non-clinical), leadership, teaching and shadowing. Should I get rid of one of my entries to add in my hobbies?
 
You could, but will it add substantially to your application? It might be worth including if you have nothing else in that category. Or, you might choose to include it just so adcomms know your plans for the next year.

If you already have Research listed, consider a brief addendum at the end of that entry about the new position. This frees you from estimating hours (could give expected hours per week instead) and will give you something fresh to say on Secondaries and Update Letters later in the cycle.
Thanks for the answer! It's the only thing I have research wise in my application so I think it really would help my application. What would you recommend as I put for the estimated hours?
 
You've probably answered this question many times already, but are hobbies seen as that important? I'll end up with fifteen activities that all fall under research, community service (clinical and non-clinical), leadership, teaching and shadowing. Should I get rid of one of my entries to add in my hobbies?
Hobbies show you have stress-relieving, leisure-time activities. It can also set you apart from a sea of look-in entries common to all applicants. If you have other entries like Artistic Endeavors or Extracurricular that demonstrate this, you've possibly covered that territory. You decide what benefits your application most, but I encourage you to consider some entry along these lines. Extra points for something unusual (which could be as mundane as expertise in some type of ethnic cookery).
 
Thanks for the answer! It's the only thing I have research wise in my application so I think it really would help my application. What would you recommend as I put for the estimated hours?
For how long is the position expected to continue? What is your understanding of hours per week and will that change in the fall or during school breaks? Is it paid, volunteer, or for credit?
 
You could, but will it add substantially to your application? It might be worth including if you have nothing else in that category. Or, you might choose to include it just so adcomms know your plans for the next year.

If you already have Research listed, consider a brief addendum at the end of that entry about the new position. This frees you from estimating hours (could give expected hours per week instead) and will give you something fresh to say on Secondaries and Update Letters later in the cycle.


So if I plan on becoming a scribe later this summer and haven't started it would be okay to list that as an activity? I'd put under the description that I haven't started of course. I just want to emphasize that I will be gaining more clinical experience this year/my plans for the year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So if I plan on becoming a scribe later this summer and haven't started it would be okay to list that as an activity? I'd put under the description that I haven't started of course. I just want to emphasize that I will be gaining more clinical experience this year/my plans for the year.
New activities that start after the current month won't be saved by the AMCAS program. If you haven't been hired yet, it would be iffy to mention it anywhere until that happens. The better place to mention it would be suitable Secondary prompts or later update letters, where permitted.
 
Hey guys, I have everything into AMCAs and pulled up the PDF and HTML files to look over the entire application. The PDF format looks great. The HTML format doesn't space out my paragraphs and everything is bunch together. Have any of you had similar problems? Not sure how to fix this.
 
Hey guys, I have everything into AMCAs and pulled up the PDF and HTML files to look over the entire application. The PDF format looks great. The HTML format doesn't space out my paragraphs and everything is bunch together. Have any of you had similar problems? Not sure how to fix this.
Don't look at the html view, which is always messed up. Adcomms see the PDF view.
 
I was a founding member of a local chapter of a national organization, then served as treasurer and vice regent. Do I need to list dates for each position?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I have been involved in a number of different music-related activities (piano) that I might have trouble grouping into 1 category, but I don't know if it would warrant being separated into two:
  1. Gave a recital that took ~1 year's worth of preparation, currently preparing for another recital for next year spring
  2. Performed in a chamber music group for 3 semesters (will continue)
  3. Music director for a student-produced musical (recruited, rehearsed, and performed with a pit band)
  4. Accompanied 2 other student-produced musicals
  5. Accompanied 3 student-produced operas
  6. Secretary/Treasurer + performer for 2 different music orgs; performed own composition
Also, I have a little trouble grouping my research activities. If I've worked under the same PI for a summer program and during the school year, should I list them separately? Also, if I've worked under a different lab for the same research project, can I list the two as separate experiences or just group them under one (i.e. worked on a project under 1 P.I. for a semester, then continued the project under a different P.I. during the summer)?

I hope my questions aren't too confusing and I would appreciate any help!
 
1) I have been involved in a number of different music-related activities (piano) that I might have trouble grouping into 1 category, but I don't know if it would warrant being separated into two:
  1. Gave a recital that took ~1 year's worth of preparation, currently preparing for another recital for next year spring
  2. Performed in a chamber music group for 3 semesters (will continue)
  3. Music director for a student-produced musical (recruited, rehearsed, and performed with a pit band)
  4. Accompanied 2 other student-produced musicals
  5. Accompanied 3 student-produced operas
  6. Secretary/Treasurer + performer for 2 different music orgs; performed own composition
2) Also, I have a little trouble grouping my research activities. If I've worked under the same PI for a summer program and during the school year, should I list them separately? Also, if I've worked under a different lab for the same research project, can I list the two as separate experiences or just group them under one (i.e. worked on a project under 1 P.I. for a semester, then continued the project under a different P.I. during the summer)?
A lot of the time one's choices are determined by the spaces remaining or the amount of space needed to adequately describe the experience.

1) I think the musical involvement could easily be divided into Artistic Endeavors and Leadership (for #3 and part of #6).

2) You can divide this into two different Research spaces based on either a) the PI (same contact info), or b) the category of the project (same description), or c) the year in school. Or by some other parameter.

Or, it can all go into one space, with the second PI cited in the narrative space.
 
Neurotic clarification prior to submitting: Can we assign letters of recommendation to schools after submitting? I was planning on doing it afterwards since not all my letters are in yet.

Thanks so much in advance!
 
Neurotic clarification prior to submitting: Can we assign letters of recommendation to schools after submitting? I was planning on doing it afterwards since not all my letters are in yet.
Wrong thread to ask in. Yes, since many committee letters don't show up until August.

If you want to be neurotic, print out the PDF of the application so you and one other person proofread it, yet again.
 
@gonnif @Catalystik


Thanks so much you two! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. Also, one step ahead of you in printing and reading over everything!
 
I essentially have to group together poster presentations (and an abstract citation) from two separate research experiences. It looks like I only have enough room to include the citations from both of them (no description - although, I have separate research experience entries describing the research).
Are citations for posters an absolute must? Or would I be better off just describing the 3 poster presentations (and having a citation for 1 abstract)?
 
I essentially have to group together poster presentations (and an abstract citation) from two separate research experiences. It looks like I only have enough room to include the citations from both of them (no description - although, I have separate research experience entries describing the research).
Are citations for posters an absolute must? Or would I be better off just describing the 3 poster presentations (and having a citation for 1 abstract)?
When space is limited, you can shorten the poster title, or summarize it. You can truncate the author list, or just give your place in it. If the abstract is the same data set as one or more posters, you can just say so and save more space.
 
I did an activity (leadership on a committee) for one semester and then quit because there was a changing of committee (we were like the committee to get things started+set up) and I didn't feel like I clicked well with the others. Should I leave it off or put it on? Commitment was pretty low (20 hrs?). I'm at 15 activities but I don't have any more to add anyway
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did an activity (leadership on a committee) for one semester and then quit because there was a changing of committee (we were like the committee to get things started+set up) and I didn't feel like I clicked well with the others. Should I leave it off or put it on? Commitment was pretty low (20 hrs?). I'm at 15 activities but I don't have any more to add anyway
Twenty hours of a leadership activity won't make or break your application and shouldn't be in its own space with such a minimal commitment. You could group it with another leadership (or volunteer) activity or leave it off.
 
Do people mention study abroad experiences in work/activities? It seems like study abroad adds to the application, and my time abroad impacted me in many ways, but I'm not seeing how to add this to the application aside from a few references to it in my personal statement and my thesis. I don't have an extra spot to add something wholly devoted to it in work/activities.
 
Do people mention study abroad experiences in work/activities? It seems like study abroad adds to the application, and my time abroad impacted me in many ways, but I'm not seeing how to add this to the application aside from a few references to it in my personal statement and my thesis. I don't have an extra spot to add something wholly devoted to it in work/activities.
Applicants do include study abroad experiences under the Other tag. Even though the transcript gives evidence of the experience, one might list it if the travel location resulted in significant impact or insights. If you don't have space to expound on these, best to let the transcript speak to the experience, rather than squeezing it in elsewhere other than what you've done already.
 
Sorry for all the questions. Just a few moments ago I found out I got a very unique job for the upcoming year (tissue transplant related - working with surgical teams). I'm wondering if I should list it as a future activity? There are no hours currently but it starts in one week and will be part-time. I do have other clinical experiences but I don't know if I should include this in the work/activities section as I haven't even started yet.
 
Sorry for all the questions. Just a few moments ago I found out I got a very unique job for the upcoming year (tissue transplant related - working with surgical teams). I'm wondering if I should list it as a future activity? There are no hours currently but it starts in one week and will be part-time. I do have other clinical experiences but I don't know if I should include this in the work/activities section as I haven't even started yet.
Can you tack the recent hiring onto the end of another related activity? Or, can a final sentence in the PS connect it to your journey to medicine? Or, might it be best to hold it for Secondaries or future update letters?
 
quick question about a mistake in my Work/activities section:
In one of my activities, I put the total hours to be 1000, but it was actually 500 hours. The 1000 was there as a placeholder as I went through my app, but I guess after 7 revisions, I completely forgot to replace it with the proper amount. I've already submitted... what do I do?
 
Hobbies show you have stress-relieving, leisure-time activities. It can also set you apart from a sea of look-in entries common to all applicants. If you have other entries like Artistic Endeavors or Extracurricular that demonstrate this, you've possibly covered that territory. You decide what benefits your application most, but I encourage you to consider some entry along these lines. Extra points for something unusual (which could be as mundane as expertise in some type of ethnic cookery).

If I play a club sport, but don't go on many of the away games because of other commitments and a busy schedule, can I list it as my hobby? I practice and play for six ish hours a week and it's a great way to destress for me.
 
quick question about a mistake in my Work/activities section:
In one of my activities, I put the total hours to be 1000, but it was actually 500 hours. The 1000 was there as a placeholder as I went through my app, but I guess after 7 revisions, I completely forgot to replace it with the proper amount. I've already submitted... what do I do?
What was the activity?
 
The activity was volunteering at a homeless clinic (it is also one of my most meaningful activities)
Since this is fairly important to your application, I suggest letting the schools know you made an error and then correct it. Presumably, your listed Contact knows about the level of involvement in the activity.

Don't rush into this now, as the earliest schools will receive your entire application is the end of June. Wait to see if some Secondaries give you a prompt like, "Is there anything else you want us to know about your application?" For others, you may need to call about how to communicate a correction to your application. Usually, there is an email address for this purpose. Hopefully, one of these approaches will cover the majority of the schools you apply to.
 
Since this is fairly important to your application, I suggest letting the schools know you made an error and then correct it. Presumably, your listed Contact knows about the level of involvement in the activity.

Don't rush into this now, as the earliest schools will receive your entire application is the end of June. Wait to see if some Secondaries give you a prompt like, "Is there anything else you want us to know about your application?" For others, you may need to call about how to communicate a correction to your application. Usually, there is an email address for this purpose. Hopefully, one of these approaches will cover the majority of the schools you apply to.

As a followup: Do schools actually contact the "listed contact"? I'd assume they don't have the time.
 
As a followup: Do schools actually contact the "listed contact"? I'd assume they don't have the time.
Some schools do rigorous confirmations (some even after you have already matriculated). Others don't. Most are in the middle: If ECs seem too good to be true, they might be more subject to verification. The problem is, you don't know which schools are which, but on the average, verification is not common.
 
Since this is fairly important to your application, I suggest letting the schools know you made an error and then correct it. Presumably, your listed Contact knows about the level of involvement in the activity.

Don't rush into this now, as the earliest schools will receive your entire application is the end of June. Wait to see if some Secondaries give you a prompt like, "Is there anything else you want us to know about your application?" For others, you may need to call about how to communicate a correction to your application. Usually, there is an email address for this purpose. Hopefully, one of these approaches will cover the majority of the schools you apply to.

Thank you very much! Hopefully this won't count too negatively against me.
 
I am a volunteer teacher with a significant amount of hours (1000+). Can I list this as volunteering non-medical or should I list it as teaching?
I am a paid tutor as well and listed that under teaching.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I gave a presentation as part of a summer research program I was in, does that need its own slot or can I just say I gave a presentation on my findings?
 
I am a volunteer teacher with a significant amount of hours (1000+). Can I list this as volunteering non-medical or should I list it as teaching?
I am a paid tutor as well and listed that under teaching.
Can you say more about the position? Is it through an organization, or is it a curricular requirement for a class, for example? What do you already have for community service?
 
Can you say more about the position? Is it through an organization, or is it a curricular requirement for a class, for example? What do you already have for community service?
It's a weekend school at a local mosque. I already have hospital volunteering, health screenings, and volunteering at a dental clinic.
 
I am a volunteer teacher with a significant amount of hours (1000+). Can I list this as volunteering non-medical or should I list it as teaching?
I am a paid tutor as well and listed that under teaching.
It's a weekend school at a local mosque. I already have hospital volunteering, health screenings, and volunteering at a dental clinic.
Since you already have Teaching and maybe don't have a nonmedical community service space, I think it would be best to have it under the latter tag. I expect you have a very reliable contact who can attest to the activity. Be sure the name you give the activity reflects the teaching component of the activity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.