*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! For the presentation/poster sections, it also asks for the number of hours - is that the number of hours at the conference or the number of hours I spent working on the poster?
It's the number of hours you spent standing next to the poster.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1) What was your role?

2) Either is fine. Pick the one that balances your application best.

I lived in the dorms with the kids (I volunteered at the weekends), organized and led fun activities for the kids like at the pool, the farm, etc., maintaining the facilities, and pretty much taking care of their needs throughout the weekend

also, unrelated to this, if I have a leadership position in a community service organization, should I just put the category as "Leadership position not listed elsewhere" if I only plan on talking about that activity once to avoid repetition? i'm worried that ADCOMS will take a glance at my application and think that I didn't do any clinical community service based on the categories I choose haha.

No. Better to say it's not, but to include the medic designation in the title you give the space. Let adcomms make their own decision.

If you have nothing else clinical, then you'd do best to divide the activity into two spaces, one of which would be clinical, but with those hours separated out and not double counted.

I do clinical research and clinical volunteering currently so I think I should be OK!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I lived in the dorms with the kids (I volunteered at the weekends), organized and led fun activities for the kids like at the pool, the farm, etc., maintaining the facilities, and pretty much taking care of their needs throughout the weekend

2) if I have a leadership position in a community service organization, should I just put the category as "Leadership position not listed elsewhere" if I only plan on talking about that activity once to avoid repetition? i'm worried that ADCOMS will take a glance at my application and think that I didn't do any clinical community service based on the categories I choose haha.
1) You haven't mentioned any role I'd consider clinical in nature. Did you change dressings, provide ostomy or cath care, give tube feeding, etc?

2) Use Leadership only if the dates and hours listed are only those related to the leadership component, and if most of your comments relate to the leadership role.

You might be better off picking Community Service and mentioning the leadership there to keep it in the context of the organization.

One of my student groups that I'm on the leadership team for has 2 volunteering programs, one at a high school and the other at a health clinic. I've been in involved in both progs. I plan on coalescing everything under one entry bc I want to mention my exps as a summation in my most meaningful box. What do you think I should classify this as? Clinical? Non-clinical? Leadership?

One of my student groups that I'm on the leadership team for has 2 volunteering programs, one at a high school and the other at a health clinic. I've been in involved in both progs. I plan on coalescing everything under one entry bc I want to mention my exps as a summation in my most meaningful box. What do you think I should classify this as? Clinical? Non-clinical? Leadership?
I'd suggest Other, since it is so multifaceted.

I'd suggest Other, since it is so multifaceted.
(I wasn't done yet.)Or Extracurricular, with a title for the space that suggests all the sub elements, with either tag.

I'm having an issue that's making me feel crazy because I've only seen one other person talking about it. I'm able to put paragraph breaks in the text box when entering my experience description (see attached), but once I click 'finish' and then 'show details' on the summary page, all the text is smushed together (see attached).

I know that my paragraph breaks show up in my PS section, so I'm confused why they're not working here. Is this typical? I have already contacted AMCAS through email (they did not answer my question in their response), tried typing directly in the box, and tried pasting from a text editor; nothing has worked. I've searched here and on reddit and it seems like it has happened to some people but not others.

Any ideas on how to fix this (I think I've seen that gonnif has contacted people at AMCAS before), or if I should just work around it? It just seems like we should be able to since the PS section allows paragraphs, and it's not like I'm introducing special formatting or anything (because I've also looked at the AMCAS instruction manual and see that you can't bold, italicize, indent, etc., but no mention of plain paragraphs).

Thank you!

Attachments

• appearance in experience description box.PNG
    appearance in experience description box.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 79
  • appearance when clicking 'show details'.PNG
    appearance when clicking 'show details'.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 87
I'm able to put paragraph breaks in the text box when entering my experience description (see attached), but once I click 'finish' and then 'show details' on the summary page, all the text is smushed together (see attached).

I know that my paragraph breaks show up in my PS section, so I'm confused why they're not working here. Is this typical? I have already contacted AMCAS through email (they did not answer my question in their response), tried typing directly in the box, and tried pasting from a text editor; nothing has worked. I've searched here and on reddit and it seems like it has happened to some people but not others.

Any ideas on how to fix this (I think I've seen that gonnif has contacted people at AMCAS before), or if I should just work around it? It just seems like we should be able to since the PS section allows paragraphs, and it's not like I'm introducing special formatting or anything (because I've also looked at the AMCAS instruction manual and see that you can't bold, italicize, indent, etc., but no mention of plain paragraphs).

Thank you!
You're previewing it in the wrong place. Summary view is always terrible.

Go to Main Menu on the first page of the application. Choose Print Application on the right side. Select PDF view. That is how the application will appear to adcomms.

Why is PDF used? According to gonnif:
Why it is done this was partially simplicity of program the initial AMCAS system and partly for baseline security. You cant implant malicious code in plain text, and so only the text of your application is transmitted, gets repopulated at each school's AMCAS-compliant system, and recreates the application. Who knew that nearly 20 years later, that simple text system is still the hardest to break into.

Last edited:
You're previewing it in the wrong place. Summary view is always terrible.

Go to Main Menu on the first page of the application. Choose Print Application on the right side. Select PDF view. That is how the application will appear to adcomms.

Wow, thank you so much!! I'm embarrassed that I didn't realize this before.

The PDF view displays exactly as I was hoping (yay), but the HTML view is still smushed - is it like this for everyone?

That seems "fluffy" to me.

Could you maybe use your impression of the %time you worked that utilized your leadership capabilities and calculate the hours that way? Precision regarding the exact days isn't necessary.

Good to know, thanks! I went back and looked through old emails and was able to verify ~150 hours of training, so I will go with that under the Leadership tab. However then my activities will be "Scribe from [date A]-[date B], 750 hours," and then "Scribe trainer from [date B]-[date C], 150 hours." The end date for Scribe would be the same as the start date for Trainer, since it was a promotion, and the date range is about the same for both scribe and trainer. Will it look a little odd to have one fifth as many hours for trainer as I worked as a regular scribe? Or should I just set the "Scribe" activity dates from [date A]-[date C], "Trainer" dates from [date B]-[date C], and subtract 150 hours from my Scribe hour count, to avoid double-counting? Is it okay to have the dates overlap as long as I don't double-count hours?

Last edited:
I went back and looked through old emails and was able to verify ~150 hours of training, so I will go with that under the Leadership tab. However then my activities will be "Scribe from [date A]-[date B], 750 hours," and then "Scribe trainer from [date B]-[date C], 150 hours." The end date for Scribe would be the same as the start date for Trainer, since it was a promotion, and the date range is about the same for both scribe and trainer. Will it look a little odd to have one fifth as many hours for trainer as I worked as a regular scribe?
1) Or should I just set the "Scribe" activity dates from [date A]-[date C] and subtract 150 hours from my hour count, to avoid double-counting?
2) Is it okay to have the dates overlap as long as I don't double-count hours?
1) Yes, I think that's the best approach.

2) Yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I include what was basically my high school job that I continued in the summer full time between fresh-soph year and part time summer after? Its not impressive, worked at a mom and pop ice cream shop, although I was a shift manager by then. I was going to leave it off, but not sure if I should keep to share what I was doing those months. Also I am kinda embarrassed in hindsight about my contribution to childhood obesity...
(I know it would not be held against me like that, just sayin how I feel)

Last edited:
Should I include what was basically my high school job that I continued in the summer full time between fresh-soph year and part time summer after? Its not impressive, worked at a mom and pop ice cream shop, although I was a shift manager by then. I was going to leave it off, but not sure if I should keep to share what I was doing those months.
If you continued a HS job after HS graduation, it's fine to include on the AMCAS application. That they kept hiring you back, reflects well, as does your use of people skills on the job.

If you continued a HS job after HS graduation, it's fine to include on the AMCAS application. That they kept hiring you back, reflects well, as does your use of people skills on the job.
So follow up then, would it be cool if I just noted in the description that I worked for 3 years prior in HS and not reflect those hours on app? I would have to guess wildly about those hours.

Hi there,

Another question. I was planning on lumping about 6 poster and 1 power point presentations under the posters/presentations. Is that too many? Should I cut poster presentations done at my uni?What about a poster presented at the end of a summer program. Should I just state that a poster was presented in the summer program activity?

There are 2 poster presentations done at national conferences and the powerpoint presentation was done to an audience of MD's, PhDs, and medical students.

Last edited:
Who would be listed as a contact for significant hobbies? Just someone who has seen you do that thing?

What would this be classified as?

Work? Leadership? Research?

-contracted to independently develop a report on the effects of H1N1 influenza on the population of xxxx County and the subsequent response to H1N1 by city and town officials -Interview city and town officials from the Health Boards within Xxxx County to determine the effects of H1N1 on school populations, pregnant females, and city employees -Interview officials from the Health Boards to determine the response enacted by senior officials to H1N1 influenza -Identify strengths, areas for improvement, best practices and lessons learned from the H1N1 response to better prepare the cities and towns of Xxxx County for all hazards disaster preparedness

So follow up then, would it be cool if I just noted in the description that I worked for 3 years prior in HS and not reflect those hours on app? I would have to guess wildly about those hours.
That would be fine. This would be a good use for the Repeated feature.

I was planning on lumping about 6 poster and 1 power point presentations under the posters/presentations. Is that too many? Should I cut poster presentations done at my uni?What about a poster presented at the end of a summer program. Should I just state that a poster was presented in the summer program activity?

There are 2 poster presentations done at national conferences and the powerpoint presentation was done to an audience of MD's, PhDs, and medical students.
It's not too many if they fit in one space. Since that's unlikely, local posters can be summarized there or in your affiliated Research or Summer Program spaces. You don't want to skimp on the last three experiences you mentioned.

What would this be classified as?

Work? Leadership? Research?

-contracted to independently develop a report on the effects of H1N1 influenza on the population of xxxx County and the subsequent response to H1N1 by city and town officials -Interview city and town officials from the Health Boards within Xxxx County to determine the effects of H1N1 on school populations, pregnant females, and city employees -Interview officials from the Health Boards to determine the response enacted by senior officials to H1N1 influenza -Identify strengths, areas for improvement, best practices and lessons learned from the H1N1 response to better prepare the cities and towns of Xxxx County for all hazards disaster preparedness
I'd list it as Employment Not Clinical (since you didn't work with current patients). Sounds like a great experience.

What do you do if you've been doing an activity since high school (volunteering at a hospital) and you've done it over multiple summer breaks and winter breaks? I know there's an option for repeating an activity, but it only allows you to list 4 times you've repeated it. I've volunteered at this hospitals for four summers and several winter breaks. Do you guys think I'll be fine listing the hours at this place as one lump sum even though the start date is from high school? Should I explain in the description maybe?

What do you do if you've been doing an activity since high school (volunteering at a hospital) and you've done it over multiple summer breaks and winter breaks? I know there's an option for repeating an activity, but it only allows you to list 4 times you've repeated it. I've volunteered at this hospitals for four summers and several winter breaks. Do you guys think I'll be fine listing the hours at this place as one lump sum even though the start date is from high school? Should I explain in the description maybe?
Use an all ecompassing datespan. Name the activity School Break Hospital Volunteering (name of departments?), or somesuch suggesting intermittency. List hours in a lump sum or divide into HS years and college years with Repeated feature (latter is my preference) to create two repetitions.

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered in a previous comment or thread... there are a lot these to read through but I didn't see it on just a quick skim.

It says that we can format our descriptions with bullet points. When I view the application in PDF, they all run together and are only separated by the dash (-). Is that ok? Is there a way to actually break at the end of the line?

It says that we can format our descriptions with bullet points. When I view the application in PDF, they all run together and are only separated by the dash (-). Is that ok? Is there a way to actually break at the end of the line?
Be sure you are looking at the PDF Print view from the Main Menu on the first page of the application. Where you want a "bullet" you need to substitute another acceptable character, like a dash (-). To make a break before the next line, try 2 hard returns.

Be sure you are looking at the PDF Print view from the Main Menu on the first page of the application. Where you want a "bullet" you need to substitute another acceptable character, like a dash (-). To make a break before the next line, try 2 hard returns.

Thank you!

I also have one additional question. If I worked on a series of projects in different states and in different specialties of medicine, let's say for contract work (I don't want to be too specific for anonymity), would it be beneficial to add these cities and medical specialties in a list for the description of the work activity? I thought it might be beneficial to show that I've worked all over the US in healthcare settings. It also explains why I don't have any shadowing experience since I've worked in so many different fields.

Hi could someone help me with how to classify these experiences?

1. I was a mentor for my college. I was paired with two underclassmen and helped them choose their classes, tutor them on classes I had taken, extracurricular advice, general college advice etc.- EC or Leadership Not Listed Elsewhere?

2. Member and committee member of a school club focused on community service (some medical some not medical) EC or Community service?

3. Been playing piano for 14+ years but also volunteered giving piano lessons- Hobby or Community Service?

Thank you!!

If I worked on a series of projects in different states and in different specialties of medicine, let's say for contract work (I don't want to be too specific for anonymity), would it be beneficial to add these cities and medical specialties in a list for the description of the work activity? I thought it might be beneficial to show that I've worked all over the US in healthcare settings. It also explains why I don't have any shadowing experience since I've worked in so many different fields.
You will fill in the location in the header. If you group several projects into one space, you'd naturally give similar info in the narrative box for any additions. It seems logical that you'd mention the specialty if it helped explain the project. I can't say that frequent job changes would necessarily be perceived to be beneficial, so I suggest you explain the reason.

Hi could someone help me with how to classify these experiences?

1. I was a mentor for my college. I was paired with two underclassmen and helped them choose their classes, tutor them on classes I had taken, extracurricular advice, general college advice etc.- EC or Leadership Not Listed Elsewhere?

2. Member and committee member of a school club focused on community service (some medical some not medical) EC or Community service?

3. Been playing piano for 14+ years but also volunteered giving piano lessons- Hobby or Community Service?
1) Mentoring is looked on as closer to Teaching.

2) It looks like you have EC, Leadership, and two types of volunteerism all from one organization. If you want to highlight any of those categories since they are not otherwise covered in your application, you might split them out with their own separate hours. If it doesn't matter, then you need a category that covers everything in the space. Either Other or Extracurricular tags would do that. The title you give the space can mention Member, Officership, and Community Service Provider Via XXX Club, or somesuch.

3) Hobby or Artistic Endeavor, with a choice of splitting out the Teaching if it's strong enough.

What exactly was your role? What was the source of the knowledge that you passed on? How many clients did you have? Were you paid? If so, did you pay tax on the earnings?

I made diet and exercise plans primarily. Sometimes to the actual grocery store/gym with them to help them with finding foods or doing workouts to teach them things. The source of my knowledge was basically just peer reviewed nutrition science research articles. Clients new I was not certified, never claimed to be or anything like that but I got a lot of people to lose a lot of weight. One of my friends I worked with was a T2 diabetic and I worked with him specifically to get him on a diet plan that ultimately led to him stopping his insulin injections (by clearance of a physician). I probably only worked with 20-25 people over the course of a year and a half, students, friends and family/friends of family primarily. Often they would offer to pay me but it wasn't a service I had a rate for. I was just passionate about health and nutrition and exercise and wanted to help people get into better shape.

After reading the questions you raised however I understand the concerns. Would this be a problem? I was actually planning to use this as a most meaningful, specifically talking about my T2 diabetic friend I helped. If you think this is inappropriate though I would love to know. Thanks!

You will fill in the location in the header. If you group several projects into one space, you'd naturally give similar info in the narrative box for any additions. It seems logical that you'd mention the specialty if it helped explain the project. I can't say that frequent job changes would necessarily be perceived to be beneficial, so I suggest you explain the reason.

The nature of the work was nomadic. I stayed with the same job and same company but there was travel involved, which is how I ended up all over the US working in different settings.

Thanks for the help!

I made diet and exercise plans primarily. Sometimes to the actual grocery store/gym with them to help them with finding foods or doing workouts to teach them things. The source of my knowledge was basically just peer reviewed nutrition science research articles. Clients new I was not certified, never claimed to be or anything like that but I got a lot of people to lose a lot of weight. One of my friends I worked with was a T2 diabetic and I worked with him specifically to get him on a diet plan that ultimately led to him stopping his insulin injections (by clearance of a physician). I probably only worked with 20-25 people over the course of a year and a half, students, friends and family/friends of family primarily. Often they would offer to pay me but it wasn't a service I had a rate for. I was just passionate about health and nutrition and exercise and wanted to help people get into better shape.

After reading the questions you raised however I understand the concerns. Would this be a problem? I was actually planning to use this as a most meaningful, specifically talking about my T2 diabetic friend I helped. If you think this is inappropriate though I would love to know. Thanks!
Knowing you are self-taught and not certified, and that there are a lot of unusual notions out there supported by various popular book writers, I would have concerns. You might consider calling this a Hobby, and naming it something like Diet and Exercise Support Person. Try not to suggest that you did anything other than reinforce physician/dietician -provided advice. I see no problem using this as a MM activity and can see how it inspired you to read, learn more, and aspire to a physician's education.

And a Hobby doesn't require a Contact person. Nor is precision in calculating Total Hours important.

The nature of the work was nomadic. I stayed with the same job and same company but there was travel involved, which is how I ended up all over the US working in different settings.
That sounds better, now that I understand more. When you previously said you'd "worked in so many different fields" it sounded like new jobs, but you meant job sites and specialty focus, I think.

Yes, mention the far flung travel and frequency of site change, though specific locations probably aren't important to waste characters on.

I'm going to include some of my military awards (just the meritorious ones, not the gimme awards). Should I include the criteria in the instruction for the awards or a description of the actual reasons I got them (what's in the write-ups)?

Also, for contact info, I got them at different commands, and there isn't one person for both. Just list someone who could vouch?

I took AP English Lit and Lang and got 5s on both, so I have 4 credits of English on my transcript but from AP. I know some schools require English at the physical university level, so I'm taking an English class this summer. However from what I've heard there are a few schools that actually require 2 English classes not including AP (USF). However, I have 3 writing-intensive non-English classes (Psych department) and some schools say this can be substituted.

Should I take 2 English classes this summer to be safe?

How would I designate the writing-intensive classes as such on the AMCAS?

Do I need to contact each school directly?

I'm going to include some of my military awards (just the meritorious ones, not the gimme awards).

1) Should I include the criteria in the instruction for the awards or a description of the actual reasons I got them (what's in the write-ups)?

2) Also, for contact info, I got them at different commands, and there isn't one person for both. Just list someone who could vouch?
1) Yes, as space allows.

2) Yes.

I took AP English Lit and Lang and got 5s on both, so I have 4 credits of English on my transcript but from AP. I know some schools require English at the physical university level, so I'm taking an English class this summer. However from what I've heard there are a few schools that actually require 2 English classes not including AP (USF). However, I have 3 writing-intensive non-English classes (Psych department) and some schools say this can be substituted.

Should I take 2 English classes this summer to be safe?

How would I designate the writing-intensive classes as such on the AMCAS?

Do I need to contact each school directly?
This thread is for AMCAS Work/Activities Tips. @gonnif helps on the AMCAS general advice thread, so we'll ask for his input

Hey, I started volunteering at a new place this month, would it be appropriate to list it? I have volunteered in the past, but I feel like if I just list it now it will come off as I started just to list. Edit: Looking from previous years threads it probably won't be appropriate.

Last edited:
Hey, I started volunteering at a new place this month, would it be appropriate to list it? I have volunteered in the past, but I feel like if I just list it now it will come off as I started just to list. Edit: Looking from previous years threads it probably won't be appropriate.
Better to save it for Secondaries or update letters.

I had 3 part time jobs during undergrad (not at the same time), around 1 semester each. I was planning on grouping them together and listing title as "jobs during undergrad" or something. I was planning on listing the contact etc. as the most recent job I had senior year. In terms of hours, should I put combined amount for all 3 in the hours box? Also is it okay if I don't have space in the 700 characters to list contact for each job (besides more recent one) but put hours for each? I don't know if I know how many exact hours it was since some are 3 years ago but it'll be close enough I guess

I had 3 part time jobs during undergrad (not at the same time), around 1 semester each. I was planning on grouping them together and listing title as "jobs during undergrad" or something. I was planning on listing the contact etc. as the most recent job I had senior year. In terms of hours, should I put combined amount for all 3 in the hours box? Also is it okay if I don't have space in the 700 characters to list contact for each job (besides more recent one) but put hours for each? I don't know if I know how many exact hours it was since some are 3 years ago but it'll be close enough I guess
You can enter the grand total in the header, but subtotals and Contact (to make it creditable) should be added to each additional job description.

If we're condensing all physician shadowing into one entry who exactly should be entered as the contact info sense you can only put one person/organization down?

If we're condensing all physician shadowing into one entry who exactly should be entered as the contact info sense you can only put one person/organization down?

I'm not sure how important it is, since you should be putting contact information for each shadowing experience. I put down the contact information for the physician I shadowed the longest with.

Status
Not open for further replies.