*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey friends, I have a quick question about an award I received. I took care of a patient at my job and the mother ended up writing a lovely note to the hospital in regards to my patient care. I was presented with an award for this, so I was wanting to include this in my application. Does anyone know if it would be appropriate to quote the mother's words? The quote is roughly 500 characters, so I was going to write a lead in and let her words paint the picture.

Thanks!
I've never seen an entire letter quoted in the Activities section. Nor are links to heroic news stories encouraged. I expect there's a reason for that. Instead, you might describe the award and its criteria, and maybe paraphrase the highpoints of the letter briefly, so as to appear more professional.
 
Thank you very much for the great reply! I will definitely mention the amount.
I will follow your advice for the activity description for my scribe experience. Yes -- I would like to have some feedback for my response in case I am asked why I did not continue. I think I will go with honesty. I will tell the interviewer I unfortunately did not meet the expectation of my employer, but giving it a spin that it also served a great lesson for me to be a more competent employee that I have been working in the same job I got after the dismissal (it's a lab tech position). How does this sound? Thank you so much for your advice in advance.
In what way did you not meet expectations? If you are vague like that, you will be asked for details.
 
In what way did you not meet expectations? If you are vague like that, you will be asked for details.

I did not meet the expectations of typing speed and I often fell behind as I was too immersed in the conversations. Do you think this would be an understandable reason? Thanks so much for your continued help!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did not meet the expectations of typing speed and I often fell behind as I was too immersed in the conversations. Do you think this would be an understandable reason?
Yes, as I guessed in another thread and commented: a slower typing speed than required is understandable and doesn't reflect negatively. If asked, just whip the answer out. Don't make them drag it out like it's a huge personal flaw.

Don't mention getting involved in patient conversations that were more enjoyable than completing your work. Many scribe jobs don't allow patient interaction, sad to say.
 
I have a few questions: 1) I worked as a standardized patient at my local medical school (it was a paid position). Should I list this as medical or non-medical employment? Does being in contact with medical students allow me to classify this as medical?

2) My research internship for the summer includes trips to a local (non-clinical) charity, but while I have started the internship, I have not volunteered yet. Should I include the volunteering in the description of my internship, or should I put it in a separate category? My current non-clinical volunteering is unfortunately pretty low, and the volunteering I'm supposed to do at my internship is scheduled to be higher than what I have so far.

3) Lastly, in my previous basic research lab, I left after one semester under unfortunate circumstances. My PI and postdoc told me they did not have any work for me, since my postdoc was apparently taking on many extra responsibilities and no longer had any time to guide me. My original intention was to stay for the rest of undergrad (I started as a junior), and I told this to my postdoc and PI before I joined the lab. Here's the part that worries me: I took the lab for credit, and got a B in the one semester, so I'm afraid that adcoms will think that I was fired due to incompetence. How should I approach this, if I'm asked about it? Is saying that my postdoc didn't have time for me a valid answer?

Thank you!
 
I have a few questions: 1) I worked as a standardized patient at my local medical school (it was a paid position). Should I list this as medical or non-medical employment? Does being in contact with medical students allow me to classify this as medical?

2) My research internship for the summer includes trips to a local (non-clinical) charity, but while I have started the internship, I have not volunteered yet. Should I include the volunteering in the description of my internship, or should I put it in a separate category? My current non-clinical volunteering is unfortunately pretty low, and the volunteering I'm supposed to do at my internship is scheduled to be higher than what I have so far.

3) Lastly, in my previous basic research lab, I left after one semester under unfortunate circumstances. My PI and postdoc told me they did not have any work for me, since my postdoc was apparently taking on many extra responsibilities and no longer had any time to guide me. My original intention was to stay for the rest of undergrad (I started as a junior), and I told this to my postdoc and PI before I joined the lab. Here's the part that worries me: I took the lab for credit, and got a B in the one semester, so I'm afraid that adcoms will think that I was fired due to incompetence. How should I approach this, if I'm asked about it? Is saying that my postdoc didn't have time for me a valid answer?
1) Sorry, it's Employment - Not Medical/Clinical as no real patients were cared for.

2) When you describe the internship, you can mention that it includes volunteer experiences that you'll start later in the summer. Since you haven't started, don't list it on its own. Take the opportunity that some Secondary prompts offer to update the school on your involvement.

3) I think it's a reasonable excuse that won't reflect negatively. It happens.
 
Yes, as I guessed in another thread and commented: a slower typing speed than required is understandable and doesn't reflect negatively. If asked, just whip the answer out. Don't make them drag it out like it's a huge personal flaw.

Don't mention getting involved in patient conversations that were more enjoyable than completing your work. Many scribe jobs don't allow patient interaction, sad to say.


My apologies -- I should have read your initial reply more carefully. I feel reassured that it is not viewed negatively. Oh, no, what I meant to say was that I was paying too much attention to the conversation between the provider and the patient. I never said a word except when I had to double check something with the provider... Thank you very much for your assistance! You are such a great adviser.
 
Is it more important to have leadership or community service experience? Basically, the situation I'm in now is that I have several experiences that I could classify as either nonclinical volunteering or leadership because they were unpaid supervisory roles. I'm not sure how much it matters either way.
 
Also - I have several different research experiences (800 hours/2 years in a biology lab, 200 hours/6 months in a surgery lab, and 75 hours/3 months in a humanities research group). I'm curious if I can classify it all under one broad "research" activity, or if that's considered overkill. Thanks!
 
Dumb neurotic question but I put in a fair amount of hours for some of my awards since they were "graduation with distinction" which is based on quality of a senior thesis. I put in the hours that I spent doing the research for said thesis as my hours for the award...are they pretty much just going to ignore those hours? I don't want them to think I sat in a ceremony for a 100 hours obviously but I figured I should give them some indication of the work I put in to earn the award.

(also could someone like this post, I need one more like to have a signature pls and thanks)
 
Also - I have several different research experiences (800 hours/2 years in a biology lab, 200 hours/6 months in a surgery lab, and 75 hours/3 months in a humanities research group). I'm curious if I can classify it all under one broad "research" activity, or if that's considered overkill. Thanks!
Are you an aspirant to highly-selective, reseach-oriented med schools, or are your stats more consistent with schools below the top twenty?
 
I put in a fair amount of hours for some of my awards since they were "graduation with distinction" which is based on quality of a senior thesis. I put in the hours that I spent doing the research for said thesis as my hours for the award...are they pretty much just going to ignore those hours? I don't want them to think I sat in a ceremony for a 100 hours obviously but I figured I should give them some indication of the work I put in to earn the award.
Didn't you enter the related research into a Research space (if it was hypothesis-driven) or the thesis under the Other tag (if it was based on a literature review)? If you want those hours to get attention, I'd suggest doing so.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Didn't you enter the related research into a Research space (if it was hypothesis-driven) or the thesis under the Other tag (if it was based on a literature review)? If you want those hours to get attention, I'd suggest doing so.

I have the research in another activity (although the research in the lab was over 4 semesters, relevant research for thesis was just a portion of that which is what I highlighted in the award section)...I guess I could put the thesis in the other category and drop the award since it's the thesis itself that I'm highlighting. Thanks!
 
I foster rabbits through a local humane society, would this be worth including? Its a bit unique and something I am passionate about but also a little weird so I'm not sure whether or not to include it. @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn @Catalystik
 
Last edited:
I have the research in another activity (although the research in the lab was over 4 semesters, relevant research for thesis was just a portion of that which is what I highlighted in the award section)...I guess I could put the thesis in the other category and drop the award since it's the thesis itself that I'm highlighting.
Or you could go ahead and list the distinction in Awards/Honors, put a zero for Total Hours, and in the narrative space mention that 100 of the research hours listed elsewhere were dedicated to the thesis that resulted in the recognition. (You wouldn't want to double count those research hours, anyways.)

If you do this, you could still have an Other space to discuss the experience of writing the thesis. I would not divide out the related research hours and add those 100 hours to the thesis space, though, as you wouldn't want to dilute the apparent commitment to research in the space where they'd be looking for it.
 
I was told to include a $5000+ research award in my application. What other monetary things should be included? Should stipends for research programs be included? What about academic scholarships awarded? For instance, a presidential scholarship that is the highest award available? Should I be writing what the scholarship is for in my description? I've just lumped them all in one category "honors/awards"

Thank you so much!
 
Hi all, I would greatly appreciate any help with my question. I am going to be starting employment at a hospital. This is going to be my first job, and I will be working here for my whole gap year. Should I list this in AMCAS so schools can see that I will have work experience and so they can see what I will be doing in my gap year? Additionally, what should I enter in the hours column? I expect to be working 40 hours per week, so should I just approximate it and enter 2000 hrs?
 
I was told to include a $5000+ research award in my application. What other monetary things should be included?

1) Should stipends for research programs be included?

2) What about academic scholarships awarded? For instance, a presidential scholarship that is the highest award available?

3) Should I be writing what the scholarship is for in my description? I've just lumped them all in one category "honors/awards"
1) If they are over $3000.

2) If an academic scholarship is based on need, or on HS achievement, don't list it. If it's based or merit in college, do so. If you list a Presidential Scholarship, mention the criteria, give an idea of how selective it is "Only 10 per year", eg), and award amount.

3) Yes.
 
Hi all, I would greatly appreciate any help with my question. I am going to be starting employment at a hospital. This is going to be my first job, and I will be working here for my whole gap year. Should I list this in AMCAS so schools can see that I will have work experience and so they can see what I will be doing in my gap year? Additionally, what should I enter in the hours column? I expect to be working 40 hours per week, so should I just approximate it and enter 2000 hrs?
If you haven't started it yet, you shouldn't list it. Can you wait to submit until you begin?

Considering you won't have completed your probationary period, rather than claiming 2000 hours (which won't be regarded much anyway), put in the narrative space that you plan to work full time for a year. Adcomms can do the math.

If you don't wish to wait to submit, you can tack mention of the job onto the end of another clinical activity, linking them together with, "This patient-oriented position inspired me to . . ., and I've been hired to . . . . beginning 6/2018 and plan to continue until 8/2019.

Alternatively, you could not mention it at all and save it for Secondaries or update letters where allowed.
 
I have an activity that I'm not sure how to categorize but it's fairly unique and I don't want to post the details on here. Is there someone I could PM about this?
 
I foster rabbits through a local humane society, would this be worth including? Its a bit unique and something I am passionate about but also a little weird so I'm not sure whether or not to include it. @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn @Catalystik
Applicants foster kittens and pups. Bunnies are more unusual. Definitely include it, but only count the hours you're interacting with them, not all of the time they reside in your residence.
 
If you haven't started it yet, you shouldn't list it. Can you wait to submit until you begin?

Considering you won't have completed your probationary period, rather than claiming 2000 hours (which won't be regarded much anyway), put in the narrative space that you plan to work full time for a year. Adcomms can do the math.

If you don't wish to wait to submit, you can tack mention of the job onto the end of another clinical activity, linking them together with, "This patient-oriented position inspired me to . . ., and I've been hired to . . . . beginning 6/2018 and plan to continue until 8/2019.

Alternatively, you could not mention it at all and save it for Secondaries or update letters where allowed.
Thank you so much!
 
Would it be looked down upon if I only used half of the extra characters provided for my 3 most meaningful activities? I simply wrote another paragraph but there is room for 2 paragraphs.
 
Would it be looked down upon if I only used half of the extra characters provided for my 3 most meaningful activities? I simply wrote another paragraph but there is room for 2 paragraphs.
You will no doubt be blessed by the weary adcomms trying to digest the mass of information on your application.

When you've said what needs to be said, one should never blather on to fill the space.
 
Hello! I have a couple questions regarding my Work/Activities and I would love some guidance:

1. I worked as a Pharm tech for a 1 1/2 years. Should I list this as non medical or medical employment? I know the rule is "close enough to smell patients," and being in a pharmacy isn't really working with patients, but I feel like I had a TON of patient interaction, learning how to communicate with them when they're angry/stressed, calling insurance companies for them, calling nurses/docs for them. In the end, we were serving patients. That's my take, but if Pharm Tech normally goes under nonclinical, I totally understand. Just want to know the typical protocol.

2. I've been working as a business office assistant at a retina specialist's office for 3 years. In the past year or so, my job there doesn't involve patient interaction, but the reason they originally hired me 3 years ago was to talk to patients on the phone to help the practice achieve their Meaningful Use goals. I even talk about some interactions I have in my PS. What kind of employment should I list this as? I'm thinking non medical, even though I've learned a lot about healthcare through it and used to have patient interaction. Idk.

3. I'll be starting research for my Senior Thesis literally next week. I actually have already been in the lab a few times. I'm getting class credit for it for my Senior Thesis, but it will not show up on my transcript until September because I have to fill out paperwork, etc before the University actually enrolls me in the course for credit. Can I list this now? If so, how should I? It will be ongoing from now until I present my thesis in May of 2019.

4. A large state academic scholarship I got at the end of high school to pay a large sum of my college tuition can't be listed, right? I was thinking that I just want adcoms to know why I never received anymore scholarships/awards throughout college (and it's because I didn't really need to apply for them because of the one I got when I first entered college)

I'm sorry this is a lot! But it's basically all my questions regarding this part of the app. Thank you so much!
 
1. I worked as a Pharm tech for a 1 1/2 years. Should I list this as non medical or medical employment? I know the rule is "close enough to smell patients," and being in a pharmacy isn't really working with patients, but I feel like I had a TON of patient interaction, learning how to communicate with them when they're angry/stressed, calling insurance companies for them, calling nurses/docs for them. In the end, we were serving patients. That's my take, but if Pharm Tech normally goes under nonclinical, I totally understand. Just want to know the typical protocol.

2. I've been working as a business office assistant at a retina specialist's office for 3 years. In the past year or so, my job there doesn't involve patient interaction, but the reason they originally hired me 3 years ago was to talk to patients on the phone to help the practice achieve their Meaningful Use goals. I even talk about some interactions I have in my PS. What kind of employment should I list this as? I'm thinking non medical, even though I've learned a lot about healthcare through it and used to have patient interaction. Idk.

3. I'll be starting research for my Senior Thesis literally next week. I actually have already been in the lab a few times. I'm getting class credit for it for my Senior Thesis, but it will not show up on my transcript until September because I have to fill out paperwork, etc before the University actually enrolls me in the course for credit. Can I list this now? If so, how should I? It will be ongoing from now until I present my thesis in May of 2019.

4. A large state academic scholarship I got at the end of high school to pay a large sum of my college tuition can't be listed, right? I was thinking that I just want adcoms to know why I never received anymore scholarships/awards throughout college (and it's because I didn't really need to apply for them because of the one I got when I first entered college)
1) Most adcomms will view this as nonclinical, but if you emphasize the patient contact parts of your job, some will mentally give you points in the "clinical" column. It's always best to undersell youself in this regard, rather than being perceived to be doing the opposite. You still have the advantage that comes with needing people skills in order to do your job, regardless.

2) The majority of your job was nonclinical, but if you are short on patient interaction you can carve out the clinical component of your responsibilities with its own dates and total hours (not double counted) and list it in its own space as Employment-Clinical.

3) To help me better answer the question: do you already have a Research entry on your application?

4) No, you wouldn't list a scholarship based on HS merit. But if its continuation was based on college-met benchmarks (like grades) then you could, but you'd need to explain it. There's another part of the application that asks you to list the % of your college expenses paid by various means that might satisfy your concern. It does not break the information down by years, and just gives an overall picture.
 
Last edited:
1) Most adcomms will view this as nonclinical, but if you emphasize the patient contact parts of your job, some will mentally give you points in the "clinical" column. It's always best to undersell youself in this regard, rather than being perceived to be doing the opposite. You still have the advantage that comes with needing people skills in order to do your job, regardless.

2) The majority of your job was nonclinical, but if you are short on patient interaction you can carve out the clinical component of your responsibilities with its own dates and total hours (not double counted) and list it in itsr own space as Employment-Clinical.

3) To help me better answer the question: do you already have a Research entry on your application?

4) No, you wouldn't list a scholarship based on HS merit. But if its continuation was based on college-met benchmarks (like grades) then you could, but you'd need to explain it. There's another part of the application that asks you to list the % of your college expenses paid by various means that might satisfy your concern. It does not break the information down by years, and just gives an overall picture.

All very helpful answers, thank you!

Also, no, I do not already have a Research entry. This is going to be my only research experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If one of my activities is a Youtube channel, what should I put for Contact name, email, phone etc? Mine?
 
Yes.

Was it the same poster, or close to it? Then you could say after listing details in the Posters/Presentations header about the more prestigious venue, "Same poster also presented at XXX University Research Symposium on yy/yy/yyyy date.

One more question kind sir/ma'am. Lets say we have currently done 100 hours for a certain activity. But, we plan on continuing that activity until December, and we project that by December we would have completed 500 hours for that activity. Do we list the 100 hours we have done so far, or the 500 projected hours?
 
3. I'll be starting research for my Senior Thesis literally next week. I actually have already been in the lab a few times (Orientation and safety training, as well as a practice run-through of our procedure.).

1) Can I list this now?
2)If so, how should I? It will be ongoing from now until I present my thesis in May of 2019.
1) Yes you an list it now. Understand that future hour predictions don't carry any weight, so you'd be listing it mainly so adcomms will know your intent. It will be important for you to give updates on Secondaries, where possible, and in future update letters (where permitted) as you continue in the lab and get a better overall picture of your role.

2) Enter it under Research.
-For dates and total hours use the Repeated feature. Assuming you'll submit this month, timespan 1 will be June 2018 to June 2018. Be honest and enter 8 or 10, or whatever number of hours you'll have been in the lab before you submit. Timespan 2 will be June 2018 to May 2019. Enter a conservative number of hours that you predict. Both spans and total hours will appear in the header of the activity. Keep in mind that things happen frequently to change the plan: illness, injury, toxic work environment, not making it through the probationary period due to performance issues, PI decides to leave, etc.

-Hopefully you have the Contact information for someone who can attest to your timeframe and hours worked.

-There's no reason to mention the thesis. Adcomms won't care about it anyway.
 
Last edited:
One more question kind sir/ma'am. Lets say we have currently done 100 hours for a certain activity. But, we plan on continuing that activity until December, and we project that by December we would have completed 500 hours for that activity. Do we list the 100 hours we have done so far, or the 500 projected hours?
You can list both by using the Repeated feature, so you have two timespans listed. End timespan 1 (100 hours already completed) and begin timespan 2 (400 projected hours) with the current month. Both spans and total hours will appear in the header of the activity.
 
You can list both by using the Repeated feature, so you have two timespans listed. End timespan 1 (100 hours already completed) and begin timespan 2 (400 projected hours) with the current month. Both spans and total hours will appear in the header of the activity.

Genius.
 
one paper that was submitted and we are waiting to hear back about after submitting edits and new experiments was pre-submitted to a pre-print online journal.

I know its not really accepted but can i say it was in preprint?
 
one paper that was submitted and we are waiting to hear back about after submitting edits and new experiments was pre-submitted to a pre-print online journal.

I know its not really accepted but can i say it was in preprint?
No. Call it a submitted manuscript in review in your Research entry. If it's accepted you will have something new and relevant to report on Secondaries or update letters.
 
So I have committed to a full term in Americorps and I'm already working out housing and transportation in my new location. I feel that this is a significant addition to my application and that without it, my app is incomplete, and also the adcoms assessement of me would be incomplete.

The term does not begin until August, yet I have listed it on AMCAS and explained that it is in the future along with my reasoning for the commitment. At this point, it would be difficult to rewrite my PS to include this info and I want to submit asap. I understand that this may not mean much to adcoms.

Would it reflect negatively at all to include this future activity on my application?

Sent from my VS501 using SDN mobile
 
Community Service is more important.

Thank you for your help! Another question - does volunteering every summer at a week-long summer camp for children with muscular dystrophy count as clinical volunteering? I was paired one-on-one with a camper and took care of all of their basic needs like eating, sleeping, oral care, etc.
 
So I have committed to a full term in Americorps and I'm already working out housing and transportation in my new location. I feel that this is a significant addition to my application and that without it, my app is incomplete, and also the adcoms assessement of me would be incomplete.

The term does not begin until August, yet I have listed it on AMCAS and explained that it is in the future along with my reasoning for the commitment. At this point, it would be difficult to rewrite my PS to include this info and I want to submit asap. I understand that this may not mean much to adcoms.

Would it reflect negatively at all to include this future activity on my application?
I can't promise that 100% of adcomms will view it negatively, but really, it just isn't done. Might you consider tacking mention of it onto the end of another similar or volunteer activity, stating that the one activity inspired you to xxx, that you've been accepted to start 8/2018 in a [role] position at [location] for 9 months?
 
I can't promise that 100% of adcomms will view it negatively, but really, it just isn't done. Might you consider tacking mention of it onto the end of another similar or volunteer activity, stating that the one activity inspired you to xxx, that you've been accepted to start 8/2018 in a [role] position at [location] for 9 months?
I think I'll find another way to include it than as a future activity

Thanks for the advice

Sent from my VS501 using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does volunteering every summer at a week-long summer camp for children with muscular dystrophy count as clinical volunteering? I was paired one-on-one with a camper and took care of all of their basic needs like eating, sleeping, oral care, etc.
It wouldn't be clinical unless you were involved in care relevant to their medical condition, like administering medication, guiding physical therapy exercises, doing occupational therapy teaching, etc. The reasoning is that babysitting a three-year-old isn't considered "clinical," but you'd do those same tasks you mentioned for them, too.
 
It wouldn't be clinical unless you were involved in care relevant to their medical condition, like administering medication, guiding physical therapy exercises, doing occupational therapy teaching, etc. The reasoning is that babysitting a three-year-old isn't considered "clinical," but you'd do those same tasks you mentioned for them, too.

Ah, that makes sense. Perfect, thank you so much!
 
My stats are in-line with more selective schools (at least I think - 3.92, 519). In that case, would it be better to include more experiences?
If you are ambitious to attend one of those schools, considering you said "I have several different research experiences (800 hours/2 years in a biology lab, 200 hours/6 months in a surgery lab, and 75 hours/3 months in a humanities research group)" you'd likely be better served to list each research activity separately and to lovingly revel in the exciting lessons learned from each of those opportunities in the narrative space.
 
For hobbies, what kind of activities can we add that would be appropriate for a slot? I mentioned how I have my own blog. Would mentioning that you work out, watch movies and write poetry add anything to that section, or not really? Also, if I mention my blog like I do in Post # 468 on this thread, would I then right below that description (in the "same slot of hobbies" obviously) write the following:

Also: Exercising, watching movies, and writing poetry-250 hours.

Does that seem/sound weird, and would I have to go into detail about writing or working out, or simply list them as above?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.