*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
20. How do I describe my Research-related activities?
Some Research description guidelines (YMMV):

Each project can start with a one-sentence nontechnical description that a lay person can understand. After that feel free to use jargon, if you have space for more discussion. Insert techniques you used. Don't feel compelled to add them all if there are 10.

Feel free to sort them into more than one space if you have multiple experiences. If grouping them, sort by timeframe, project type or discipline, importance, by class credit/volunteer vs employment.

You will have to decide how to present these experiences to best represent you. Perhaps projects from long ago need less emphasis. Those most recent will likely serve you better if more detail is given.

Any poster, pub, or presentation that took place at a campus venue should be mentioned with the affiliated Research entry. Any that occurred at a regional/national location or journal deserves its own spot, if you have space. If any of those data sharings came out of the same project, they could be mentioned together in one spot tagged under the highest prestige format: National Pub > Regional Pub > Abstract in a national journal > National Poster/Presentation > Regional Poster/Presentation > abstract in a conference brochure > campus pub > campus poster/presentation.

Any format for citation is fine, including abbreviated versions when you are short on space. Long author lists can be shortened by stating your place on the list, the PIs name, and et al., titles can be shortened to general topic, PMID# can substitute for much of a citation if necessary. If the paper is accepted but not yet published, add [in press] in place of unknown information.

If the data set from the campus presentation was later presented in poster format at a regional conference and then finally published in a national journal, you would cite is under Publication and then mention after the citation in the same space, "Data also presented orally at DDDD College Research Symposium x/x/xx, and again as a poster that won second place at the YYY Conference in Tucson z/zz/zz date."

If you were not the presenter for your poster, but your name is on the author list, you can include it, but give credit to the presenter, as research is a team sport, and it's important to give credit where it is due. If you presented, it's fine to say so.

There is little value in using a Conferences Attended slot, if you have already mentioned the name of the conference in a Posters/Presentation or Publications entry.

A manuscript in preparation or submitted doesn't belong on the application, but if you feel compelled to mention it regardless, add it at the end of a Research description on the affiliated project. An exception might be if your productivity is proven, in which case a submitted manuscript can be added to the same space as your cited publications, if room is available, and if your PI will include mention of it in their letter for verification.

If you wrote the grant that got funding or navigated an IRB process, mention it.

Use the MM space for impact, insights, how you were inspired, future directions. If some of the research description spills over into this space, you won't be the only one who's used it that way. Just be sure that at the 700 character mark you end a paragraph so it will flow smoothly into the MM space (which is distinguished by a blank line, like a paragraph break).

Succinctness is always good.

So if we presented a poster on our research, it is suggested to mention that in the description of the research activity and not under its own "posters/presentations" activity? If so, what is the point of that experience type? What if we took up the alloted space talking about our research activity?
 
Last edited:
So if we presented a poster on our research, it is suggested to mention that in the description of the research activity and not under its own "posters/presentations" activity? If so, what is the point of that experience type? What if we took up the alloted space talking about our research activity?
Only if it was a poster presented on your campus, is it suggested that you mention the poster in the same space as the Research entry. If the poster was presented at a regional, national, or international conference, it belongs in a Presentations/Posters space. An exception might be if you have more than one poster presentation, one of which was done off campus, then you might add the campus poster to the same space. Note: These are suggestions, not rules engraved in stone. But they accord with how adcomms will perceive the releative weight of various prsentation venues.

Why? In general campus research seminar/poster days are extremely nonselective, if not a required activity. There is little to no peer review. if your poster was presented off campus, it generally undergoes some sort of vetting process. You are not guaranteed to be included just because you applied.
 
Hey guys, quick question.

I volunteered at a single place for 4 months, but then didn’t volunteer for about 7 months, then started up again for 1 month. Can I list only my start and end date (12-month time frame), with total hours? Or is that something, if found out, would be frowned upon?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I volunteered at a single place for 4 months, but then didn’t volunteer for about 7 months, then started up again for 1 month. Can I list only my start and end date (12-month time frame), with total hours? Or is that something, if found out, would be frowned upon?
Can you call the volunteer office and ask how they would summarize your volunteer record if someone were to inquire? Whatever they report, your listing can mirror it.

Disclaimer: I am a fan of complete transperancy, which would include using the Repeated feature to break the activity into two time frames and hourly totals, both of which would appear in the header (or three time frames if you want to include future hours). If you want to explain the hiatus in the narrative, you may.
 
Is it daming to go either way with the description in the activities section?

Sentence based vs more concise bullet points?

I find myself going too in depth, and feel like i may repeat myself in secondaries so thinking of switching to bullet points/brief descriptions.
 
Is it daming to go either way with the description in the activities section?

Sentence based vs more concise bullet points?

I find myself going too in depth, and feel like i may repeat myself in secondaries so thinking of switching to bullet points/brief descriptions.
Either way is fine. You can change styles from entry to entry as needed to best communicate what you want to say.
 
Why can’t you just combine the two tutoring experiences? Tutoring is its own category. Just describe them both in the box and make sure to list one was paid.

Maybe don’t include the private tutoring? Doesn’t seem like it’ll add much to the overall app. If you have too many things to put on, try to consolidate things together that you think are most helpful to your app

Would any of you be willing to look at my tutoring entry to help me cut it down? I have 750 characters and am struggling hard-core to remove 50 of them 🙁
 
I have a question about Volunteer Non-Clinical and Leadership overlap. I volunteered for a few years (100s of hours) as part of a "student council" of sorts, but that was the title, and we spent time speaking to classes and also students individually to help them get involved with science and research. I already have other leadership roles, as well as teaching and mentor roles. but nothing for Non-clinical.
 
I have a question about Volunteer Non-Clinical and Leadership overlap. I volunteered for a few years (100s of hours) as part of a "student council" of sorts, but that was the title, and we spent time speaking to classes and also students individually to help them get involved with science and research. I already have other leadership roles, as well as teaching and mentor roles. but nothing for Non-clinical.
List it as NonClinical volunteering. It doesn't strike me as the type of peer leadership AMCAS schools are looking for . Secondarily, it seems more like another teaching role, from what you described.

Since "Student Council" doesn't give a clue about what you really did, I'd suggest making the name of the space more accurately descriptive.
 
When listing hobbies, is it appropriate to list pre-college hour amounts? For example, if I ran cross country in high school/junior high and continued to run recreationally (but much less frequently) in college, should I include the time from before college? I also have other physical activities, so I was thinking of lumping them all together in "Recreational Exercise" hobby or something like that.
 
When listing hobbies, is it appropriate to list pre-college hour amounts? For example, if I ran cross country in high school/junior high and continued to run recreationally (but much less frequently) in college, should I include the time from before college? I also have other physical activities, so I was thinking of lumping them all together in "Recreational Exercise" hobby or something like that.
Since you no longer belong to a school team, are mainly a recreational runner now, and want to lump physical activities in the same space, I'd suggest listing college hours only.

You could mention the backstory behind your running in the narrative if you like.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I started an activity in 2010 and have continued it until now, do I list all of my hours doing it or just the ones since college (2014)? I had significantly more hours involved in high school, but still a substantial amount in college (~250ish).
 
If I started an activity in 2010 and have continued it until now, do I list all of my hours doing it or just the ones since college (2014)? I had significantly more hours involved in high school, but still a substantial amount in college (~250ish).
Since Adcomms are more interested in your recent involvement, I'd suggest using the Repeated feature to divide the time into HS and college involvement. Both time frames and Total Hours will appear in the header if the space.
 
Since Adcomms are more interested in your recent involvement, I'd suggest using the Repeated feature to divide the time into HS and college involvement. Both time frames and Total Hours will appear in the header if the space.
I have a slightly more detailed and revealing question, do you mind if I pm you?
 
What do you do if there is not a single person who can verify hours? I have done several community service walks, one in particular for several consecutive years. However, I was never in contact with any specific person and the only email or phone number I can provide is the generic one on the website. Is there any way around this? Thank you!
 
What do you do if there is not a single person who can verify hours? I have done several community service walks, one in particular for several consecutive years. However, I was never in contact with any specific person and the only email or phone number I can provide is the generic one on the website. Is there any way around this? Thank you!
Just an idea. Contact that generic administrator and tell them your issue; that you did x hours over x time etc. Tell them you are putting it on your application but need a contact to verify that you did those hours. See if they believe you on the hours, prove it to them if they don't, and ask if that person can now vouch for you in case med schools call.
 
What do you do if there is not a single person who can verify hours? I have done several community service walks, one in particular for several consecutive years. However, I was never in contact with any specific person and the only email or phone number I can provide is the generic one on the website. Is there any way around this? Thank you!

If there is absolutely no one that can verify your participation, you can list yourself. When they ask you about it in the interview, it’ll be pretty obvious if you were BSing.
 
I just had a quick question about the use of bullet points. In the 2019 AMCAS applicant guide on page 45:

"If you plan to cut and paste your experience description into the application, draft your information in plain text, preferably in text-only word processing software, such as Microsoft Notepad or Mac TextEdit. Medical schools receive all text entry responses as plain text such that reviewers do not see formatted text. Copying formatted or rich text into the application may result in formatting problems that cannot be edited once your application is submitted."

When it says that med schools receive responses as plain text, does this mean that the would not receive any bullet points and require you to type in a paragraph format?
 
Just an idea. Contact that generic administrator and tell them your issue; that you did x hours over x time etc. Tell them you are putting it on your application but need a contact to verify that you did those hours. See if they believe you on the hours, prove it to them if they don't, and ask if that person can now vouch for you in case med schools call.
If this idea doesn't work out, you could list a co-walker from the event.
 
I just had a quick question about the use of bullet points. In the 2019 AMCAS applicant guide on page 45:

"If you plan to cut and paste your experience description into the application, draft your information in plain text, preferably in text-only word processing software, such as Microsoft Notepad or Mac TextEdit. Medical schools receive all text entry responses as plain text such that reviewers do not see formatted text. Copying formatted or rich text into the application may result in formatting problems that cannot be edited once your application is submitted."

When it says that med schools receive responses as plain text, does this mean that the would not receive any bullet points and require you to type in a paragraph format?
It means you should use a dash or a star in place of a tiny solid circle, as the traditional bullet won't show up.
 
Only if it was a poster presented on your campus, is it suggested that you mention the poster in the same space as the Research entry. If the poster was presented at a regional, national, or international conference, it belongs in a Presentations/Posters space. An exception might be if you have more than one poster presentation, one of which was done off campus, then you might add the campus poster to the same space. Note: These are suggestions, not rules engraved in stone. But they accord with how adcomms will perceive the releative weight of various prsentation venues.

Why? In general campus research seminar/poster days are extremely nonselective, if not a required activity. There is little to no peer review. if your poster was presented off campus, it generally undergoes some sort of vetting process. You are not guaranteed to be included just because you applied.

Makes sense. I had a poster that was presented on campus, and then at an off-campus conference. Would it be appropriate to place it in the "posters/presentations" section?
 
Makes sense. I had a poster that was presented on campus, and then at an off-campus conference. Would it be appropriate to place it in the "posters/presentations" section?
Yes.

Was it the same poster, or close to it? Then you could say after listing details in the Posters/Presentations header about the more prestigious venue, "Same poster also presented at XXX University Research Symposium on yy/yy/yyyy date.
 
I spent a significant amount of time after high school and before college (~3/4 of a year) in a specific country in South America, where I volunteered clinically and non-clinically. I have listed my clinical volunteering and non-clinical separately. My non-clinical entry contains 2-3 different activities I did at different times while I was there.

Because the program I went with was nominally a leadership development/cultural exchange program and I spent a lot of time just connecting with people and getting integrated. Both of my volunteering experiences occurred near the tail end of the program, after my language skills had developed and I had a bit more social standing in the community. My question is: should I list my gap year on its own, in addition to the clinical/non-clinical volunteering I have already listed? Or should I save it for secondaries and let my volunteering experiences imply how long I was there and what else I did?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I spent a significant amount of time after high school and before college (~3/4 of a year) in a specific country in South America, where I volunteered clinically and non-clinically. I have listed my clinical volunteering and non-clinical separately. My non-clinical entry contains 2-3 different activities I did at different times while I was there.

Because the program I went with was nominally a leadership development/cultural exchange program and I spent a lot of time just connecting with people and getting integrated. Both of my volunteering experiences occurred near the tail end of the program, after my language skills had developed and I had a bit more social standing in the community. My question is: should I list my gap year on its own, in addition to the clinical/non-clinical volunteering I have already listed? Or should I save it for secondaries and let my volunteering experiences imply how long I was there and what else I did?
It's not uncommon for applicants to include the experience of a study abroad term or academic year, so there's no reason you can't take the space to discuss your cultural immersion experience, in its own entry, if you wish to. Generally the "Other" tag is used for this purpose.

Alternatively, if you have a firm idea of your target schools, you could research if a great enough number of them have a Secondary prompt that would give you an opportunity to expand on your experience. You can find last year's prompts in SDN's School Specific forum: 2017-2018 Secondaries (Alphabetical List) or you could look here: Medical School Secondary Essay Prompts Database - Prospective Doctor . About 95% of them stay the same from year to year.
 
I currently have filled my 15 activities quota. I am trying to include my poster presentations (two were at national conferences, others have been on campus). I already have a publication section. How would it be received if I threw in the posters with the publication? I do not have space left on my research activity descriptions to incorporate the poster presentations. Thanks guys and I apologize if this is redundant with other past posts.
 
It's not uncommon for applicants to include the experience of a study abroad term or academic year, so there's no reason you can't take the space to discuss your cultural immersion experience, in its own entry, if you wish to. Generally the "Other" tag is used for this purpose.

Alternatively, if you have a firm idea of your target schools, you could research if a great enough number of them have a Secondary prompt that would give you an opportunity to expand on your experience. You can find last year's prompts in SDN's School Specific forum. About 95% of them stay the same from year to year.


Thanks!! How many hours would I put if I listed it? 168/week * x number of weeks? That seems a bit excessive
 
I currently have filled my 15 activities quota. I am trying to include my poster presentations (two were at national conferences, others have been on campus). I already have a publication section. How would it be received if I threw in the posters with the publication? I do not have space left on my research activity descriptions to incorporate the poster presentations. Thanks guys and I apologize if this is redundant with other past posts.
It sounds like you have no choice. Be sure to read item #20 in post 2 of this thread for ideas that will make it look like a logical choice if any of the posters are similar to the pubs.
 
If we spell out something in the title and then put just the abbreviation in the description, it's fine right? And also, do I need to spell out EMR and SOAP or can I use these abbreviation without clarifying?
 
Last edited:
If we spell out something in the title and then put just the abbreviation in the description, it's fine right? And also, do I need to spell out EMR and SOAP or can I use these abbreviation without clarifying?
Traditionally you'd spell it out the first time with abbreviation following in parentheses.

EMR and SOAP are fine to use, but SOAP means two things in the medical world, so be sure the context makes which one clear.
 
Traditionally you'd spell it out the first time with abbreviation following in parentheses.

EMR and SOAP are fine to use, but SOAP means two things in the medical world, so be sure the context makes which one clear.

Okay, thank you. What are the two things SOAP means? I thought it only stood for subjective, objective assessment and plan
 
Traditionally you'd spell it out the first time with abbreviation following in parentheses.

EMR and SOAP are fine to use, but SOAP means two things in the medical world, so be sure the context makes which one clear.

Also, do you mean do this in the description? Or spelling it out in title is enough?
 
I have an experience that I'm listing where I was a volunteer in a 24-hour pharmacy and recently just added a line to the end so it can show "what I learned from the experience", and was wondering what you think of the last line I made bold, Catalystik. Here is the description:

Experience Name-24-Hour Pharmacy volunteer, Total Hours-190, Classification-Community Service-Non-Medical/Clinical

I stocked, replaced, and helped patients and customers find over the counter medications. I helped the pharmacy staff manage the line of medications behind the customer counter so they would be properly stored or ready for pick up. I relayed any of the patients and customer's inquiries to the pharmacy staff. I witnessed how pharmacists interacted with patients and how prescriptions were processed after being placed by physicians.

In addition, do we have to talk about what we learned for each description in our works/activities, or should we save that more for our MM experiences? Thanks
 
I have an experience that I'm listing where I was a volunteer in a 24-hour pharmacy and recently just added a line to the end so it can show "what I learned from the experience", an

1) was wondering what you think of the last line I made bold, Catalystik. Here is the description:

Experience Name-24-Hour Pharmacy volunteer, Total Hours-190, Classification-Community Service-Non-Medical/Clinical

I stocked, replaced, and helped patients and customers find over the counter medications. I helped the pharmacy staff manage the line of medications behind the customer counter so they would be properly stored or ready for pick up. I relayed any of the patients and customer's inquiries to the pharmacy staff. I witnessed how pharmacists interacted with patients and how prescriptions were processed after being placed by physicians.

2) In addition, do we have to talk about what we learned for each description in our works/activities, or should we save that more for our MM experiences? Thanks
1) It sounds like something a pharmacy volunteer would do. Why does including it give you a concern?

2) No. Only when it feels right. Don't force it.
 
1) It sounds like something a pharmacy volunteer would do. Why does including it give you a concern?

2) No. Only when it feels right. Don't force it.

It doesn't concern me, but I was just wondering if I need to/should include it as I know for some descriptions they should just be very simple, but there are differing opinions. I wanted to get your opinion on that, and I'm going to include that in there as it sounds good. Thank you
 
I have a hospital experience in a foreign country (mostly shadowing but included basic medical tasks within my training level for learning purposes such as taking EKG's, auscultating lung sounds, etc.). I have one contact who speaks great english, but could only verify hours and time frame. The other speaks only Spanish, but could verify hours, time frame, and what exactly I did in the hospital. Which would be better to list?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To @Catalystik,
First of all, thank you again for the advice a few days ago for work/activity! I was wondering if I could ask you a couple other questions regarding it:
1. I did a summer research internship, from which I fortunately received a good amount of stipend ($6k) -- I saw another post here where you mentioned it would be worth noting the amount of award if it is substantial. But I was not entirely sure if I should do the same in my case, because mine was a stipend.

2. You advised me to list my clinical experience of 100 hours in scribing even though I was dismissed due to inefficiency -- how should I go about the description of this activity? I was initially going to mention "left the job due to a philosophical difference", but I decided not to.

any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
 
I have a hospital experience in a foreign country (mostly shadowing but included basic medical tasks within my training level for learning purposes such as taking EKG's, auscultating lung sounds, etc.). I have one contact who speaks great english, but could only verify hours and time frame. The other speaks only Spanish, but could verify hours, time frame, and what exactly I did in the hospital. Which would be better to list?
The English speaker will be able to attest to the timeframe and hours, and that is enough for general purposes. If you'd prefer the Spanish speaker, just be sure to mention the language barrier in your narrative.
 
To @Catalystik,
1. I did a summer research internship, from which I fortunately received a good amount of stipend ($6k) -- I saw another post here where you mentioned it would be worth noting the amount of award if it is substantial. But I was not entirely sure if I should do the same in my case, because mine was a stipend. Or a sizable merit scholarship.

2. You advised me to list my clinical experience of 100 hours in scribing even though I was dismissed due to inefficiency -- how should I go about the description of this activity? I was initially going to mention "left the job due to a philosophical difference", but I decided not to.
1) Yes, definitely mention the stipend amount.

2) Just describe your role. The environment, types of docs, what you did. What you learned. Everyone who trains as a scribe isn't ultimately hired. But have an answer ready for why you didn't continue, in case you're asked. If you want to take a practice run here for feedback, quote this post and give it a shot.
 
Hey friends, I have a quick question about an award I received. I took care of a patient at my job and the mother ended up writing a lovely note to the hospital in regards to my patient care. I was presented with an award for this, so I was wanting to include this in my application. Does anyone know if it would be appropriate to quote the mother's words? The quote is roughly 500 characters, so I was going to write a lead in and let her words paint the picture.

Thanks!
 
1) Yes, definitely mention the stipend amount.

2) Just describe your role. The environment, types of docs, what you did. What you learned. Everyone who trains as a scribe isn't ultimately hired. But have an answer ready for why you didn't continue, in case you're asked. If you want to take a practice run here for feedback, quote this post and give it a shot.

Thank you very much for the great reply! I will definitely mention the amount.
I will follow your advice for the activity description for my scribe experience. Yes -- I would like to have some feedback for my response in case I am asked why I did not continue. I think I will go with honesty. I will tell the interviewer I unfortunately did not meet the expectation of my employer, but giving it a spin that it also served a great lesson for me to be a more competent employee that I have been working in the same job I got after the dismissal (it's a lab tech position). How does this sound? Thank you so much for your advice in advance.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.