*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2020-2021 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What usually goes in a 700 character Activity box vs the 1325 character Most Meaningful essay area?
The 700 character space often includes some of : activity description, motivation for involvement, your role, skills gained.

The 1325 character space might be for anecdotes, impact, insights gained, qualities demonstrated that are desirable in a future physician, future direction.

Note that all these items are not relevant to all activities, so pick and choose what will best leave the impression you wish to give.
 
This is a repost from a post because I realized that this forum was better for my question.

I have several non-clinical volunteering activities that can be classified as leadership or teaching. The descriptions and position titles of these activities would include my teaching/leadership duties because that was my role. I'm also applying to a couple service-based schools. Would it be more important to categorize all these activities as non-clinical volunteering, or to have a balance of activities distributed between teaching/leadership/non-clinical volunteering?

I also have another question that Serenity2 touched on but I think my situation is a little different. I took a graduate class (research forum) where we all developed our independent educational tools, prototyped them, gathered data, and then wrote a research paper. My PI was my professor and he's writing a letter of rec. The project culminated in a 1-pager description of our activities that the class (7 people) presented as a poster presentation. The presentation didn't actually happen because of covid, but the conference gave us permission to list our posters as "accepted" on our resumes/apps/etc. Can I list this class/activity as a Poster/Presentation and then elaborate on the class itself? I don't mind leaving out the hour counts so that I don't double count extracurricular hours and curricular hours.
 
Last edited:
I have several non-clinical volunteering activities that can be classified as leadership or teaching. The descriptions and position titles of these activities would include my teaching/leadership duties because that was my role. I'm also applying to a couple service-based schools.

Would it be more important to categorize all these activities as non-clinical volunteering, or to have a balance of activities distributed between teaching/leadership/non-clinical volunteering?
It's best to have a balance among those choices, provided the hourly totals for each space are strong enough to stand on their own.

If you are applying to highly-selective med schools, I recommend you have a dedicated Leadership space. But that space should include only the dates and hours of leadership, not the time spent on the affiliated teaching. Do you have a leadership role that revolved around organizing, recruiting, oversight and discipline, delegating tasks to others, and/or overall responsibility that an initiative came to a successful end? Did your efforts make a difference? That is the sort of leadership that should go in that space.

A Non-Clinical Volunteer space can also include leadership in the same space, with all inclusive dates and total hours. One would include the leadership role in the title so readers know it covers other components important to an application.

A dedicated Teaching space would be your last priority, but use it if you can. This category includes mentoring, coaching, TA, and tutoring.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's best to have a balance among those choices, provided the hourly totals for each space are strong enough to stand on their own.

If you are applying to highly-selective med schools, I recommend you have a dedicated Leadership space. But that space should include only the dates and hours of leadership, not the time spent on the affiliated teaching. Do you have a leadership role that revolved around organizing, recruiting, oversight and discipline, delegating tasks to others, and/or overall responsibility that an initiative came to a successful end? Did your efforts make a difference? That is the sort of leadership that should go in that space.

A Non-Clinical Volunteer space can also include leadership in the same space, with all inclusive dates and total hours. One would include the leadership role in the title so readers know it covers other components important to an application.

A dedicated Teaching space would be your last priority, but use it if you can. This category includes mentoring, coaching, TA, and tutoring.
I did have significant roles, but I don't have space to split up my activities into leadership vs. mentoring/volunteering responsibilities. Like I led a cohort of undergrad teachers and I was on a leadership team in charge of the educational component of a outreach club. I'm applying to service based schools and selective schools. So should I just split between volunteering and leadership because my title/description includes my teaching and leadership role?
 
I did have significant roles, but I don't have space to split up my activities into leadership vs. mentoring/volunteering responsibilities. Like I led a cohort of undergrad teachers and I was on a leadership team in charge of the educational component of a outreach club. I'm applying to service based schools and selective schools. So should I just split between volunteering and leadership because my title/description includes my teaching and leadership role?
IMO, if you can't dedicate a space to leadership alone, it should not have a Leadership tag. So I suggest a split between Community Service and Teaching-tagged spaces, with the leadership roles alluded to in the titles.
 
I know we are generally advised to spell out acronyms. But that 700-character count. Are some/all of the following acronyms safe or am I going to have to spell them out:

ED (Emergency Department), Med-surg (Medical-surgical), VA (Veterans Affairs), CNA (certified nursing assistant)
 
I know we are generally advised to spell out acronyms. But that 700-character count. Are some/all of the following acronyms safe or am I going to have to spell them out:

ED (Emergency Department), Med-surg (Medical-surgical), VA (Veterans Affairs), CNA (certified nursing assistant)
The last three are fine, but the first would do better with a few more letters. Older adcomms are still used to seeing ER for Emergency Room and think of ED as erectile dysfunction.
 
For this section, do I have to contact all of the people I plan on listing as contacts to let them know? Some of my activities ended years ago, and I'm not sure if the contact would remember me (i.e. minimum wage job), or the volunteer coordinator has changed since I left. It seems unnecessary to have to contact everyone, but in the event that these people are actually contacted and have no idea who I am, wouldn't that look bad to admissions?
Your Contact doesn't have to be someone who knows you, as the contact isn't intended to provide a reference, just a confirmation of dates and rough hours of involvement. For the minimum wage job, there might be a pay office you could use. For the volunteer position, there might be computer records that can be accessed. For a student activity, the Student Affairs Office may have records. A college Registrar can generally attest to honors, awards, and scholarships of note.

For critical elements of your application, like volunteering, clinical experience, and research, it's a good idea to refresh the memory of an individual you might use or to contact the volunteer office yourself and see if the record exists. You can always use a co-worker, co-volunteer, or yourself if necessary (or your mom, LOL), but obviously it's better if a number of your key activities are legitimated, if a contact is made.
 
Hi! I just want to take a moment to thank everyone for answering questions and creating this thread. I find writing the activities section more difficult than the personal statement and this has been so helpful for me!

My question has to do with intercollegiate athletics. I was on the varsity cross country/track team at my college which was a year round sport. I didn't keep track of my hours because I basically lived and breathed my sport in college and sometimes it is hard to determine what activities count as hours. For example, obviously practice and competition count but activities like traveling to and from competition, attending mandatory events/meetings hosted by the athletic department, and pre-hab/rehab time with athletic trainers are more ambiguous. Is this one of those cases where I can put 9999 or 0? Or should I try to estimate the total hours even though it probably will be inaccurate?

I want this activity to be one of my most meaningful therefore I don't want to mess it up. Thanks again!
 
Hello! I posted about this before, but would like some more clarification. I worked as an office manager at a Psychological Center, working with clinical psychologists. I handled basic intake (no interviewing, that was the psychologists lol), administering psych tests and other general interactions with the patients/clients like payments, basic questions, scheduling, etc. Would this be considered clinical or non-clinical employment? It was through work-study when I was in college.
 
My question has to do with intercollegiate athletics. I was on the varsity cross country/track team at my college which was a year round sport. I didn't keep track of my hours because I basically lived and breathed my sport in college and sometimes it is hard to determine what activities count as hours. For example, obviously practice and competition count but activities like traveling to and from competition, attending mandatory events/meetings hosted by the athletic department, and pre-hab/rehab time with athletic trainers are more ambiguous. Is this one of those cases where I can put 9999 or 0? Or should I try to estimate the total hours even though it probably will be inaccurate?

I want this activity to be one of my most meaningful therefore I don't want to mess it up. Thanks again!
I think that using a 9999 would be suitable. In the narrative you might include that "practice, meetings, and and meets routinely took XX - YY hr/wk, year round," or somesuch comment.
 
I worked as an office manager at a Psychological Center, working with clinical psychologists. I handled basic intake (no interviewing, that was the psychologists lol), administering psych tests and other general interactions with the patients/clients like payments, basic questions, scheduling, etc. Would this be considered clinical or non-clinical employment? It was through work-study when I was in college.
Were the clients referred by physicians? What sorts of diagnoses did these people have. When you say you "administered psychological tests," could you describe further? Did you have special training/a certificate for this task?
 
I'm having trouble classifying this activity.

I spent ~60 hours in the ED and on ambulance ridealongs for my EMT-B class clinical rotations. I took this class for credit. On my rotations, it was 100% patient contact and I was given the responsibility of obtaining SOAP notes. This was the initial "seed" for me wanting to go into medicine, so I want to include it.

Does this go under clinical volunteering or other?
 
I'm having trouble classifying this activity.

I spent ~60 hours in the ED and on ambulance ridealongs for my EMT-B class clinical rotations. I took this class for credit. On my rotations, it was 100% patient contact and I was given the responsibility of obtaining SOAP notes. This was the initial "seed" for me wanting to go into medicine, so I want to include it.

Does this go under clinical volunteering or other?
I would not suggest using Volunteer-Clinical. Some of it was probably EMT Shadowing. For the estimated time that you were being useful (EMT Scribing, perhaps?), I think it's reasonable to consider it active clinical experience with patients but I think that using the tag "Other" and making the clinical aspect clear from the title of the space and your description would be suitable.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I include powerlifting as a hobby on my app? I've been doing it as a hobby all through college but only did it competitively my freshman year (went to collegiate nationals for my weight class). I'm probably being overly neurotic about this, but I don't know if it'll somehow register as a red flag that I only did it competitively early in college and then stopped.
 
Piggybacking off @natalux, could I put competitions I went to under "honors/awards?" I placed 1st/2nd in a few club sport northeastern regional competitions. These weren't as competitive as nationals by any means though.
 
Should I include powerlifting as a hobby on my app? I've been doing it as a hobby all through college but only did it competitively my freshman year (went to collegiate nationals for my weight class). I'm probably being overly neurotic about this, but I don't know if it'll somehow register as a red flag that I only did it competitively early in college and then stopped.
Not a red flag to me-- sounds like an awesome thing to really bring your personality out!
 
Piggybacking off @natalux, could I put competitions I went to under "honors/awards?" I placed 1st/2nd in a few club sport northeastern regional competitions. These weren't as competitive as nationals by any means though.
Yeah! who cares if they are competitive. Why not just make a hobbies section about club sports and include the accomplishments in the description. I think thats more of a substantial activity.
 
Should I include powerlifting as a hobby on my app? I've been doing it as a hobby all through college but only did it competitively my freshman year (went to collegiate nationals for my weight class). I'm probably being overly neurotic about this, but I don't know if it'll somehow register as a red flag that I only did it competitively early in college and then stopped.
Yes. As Hobbies doesn't need a Contact listed, you'd be spared finding your old coach and asking if he/she would verify the Intercollegiate Sport activity.
 
Piggybacking off @natalux, could I put competitions I went to under "honors/awards?" I placed 1st/2nd in a few club sport northeastern regional competitions. These weren't as competitive as nationals by any means though.
While you could enter the 1st and 2nd place wins under Awards, it would be better to keep the recognitions with the affiliated sport entry.
 
While you could enter the 1st and 2nd place wins under Awards, it would be better to keep the recognitions with the affiliated sport entry.
The only other "award" I have is Dean's List for a semester. I know that's pretty weak so I was hoping to use these to fill that slot out.
Would it look better if I just put these under my Sport EC entry and not bother with an "awards" section?
 
IMO, if you can't dedicate a space to leadership alone, it should not have a Leadership tag. So I suggest a split between Community Service and Teaching-tagged spaces, with the leadership roles alluded to in the titles.

So you would not recommend leadership in paid employment (e.g manager, supervisor) be tagged as leadership?
 
So you would not recommend leadership in paid employment (e.g manager, supervisor) be tagged as leadership?
If the header will have the dates the leadership began and the hours of the leadership position, and the narrative will revolve around a description of the leadership role, then using a Leadership tag is fine. If you want to include in the same space the dates and hours of the general employment that preceded the onset of the management position (along with mention of the onset of leadership in the narrative), all in one space, then use Employment as the tag.
 
Can I use the poster/presentation slot to describe a graduate research forum class in which I made my own project/tested it/made my own hypothesis and got the poster (joint authored with my classmates who each did their own independent projects)?
 
Can I use the poster/presentation slot to describe a graduate research forum class in which I made my own project/tested it/made my own hypothesis and got the poster (joint authored with my classmates who each did their own independent projects)?
You could, if you want to minimize the research process for some reason (the more important component), but why not use a Research-labeled space and mention the poster at the end?
 
Are there any examples of compelling and well-written activity descriptions/most meaningful remarks out there? A google search just turned up pages from med school application advising websites.
 
Are there any examples of compelling and well-written activity descriptions/most meaningful remarks out there? A google search just turned up pages from med school application advising websites.
Some Activity description examples for you, with thanks to member Nick Naylor:

Scroll down to activities. If necessary, click each activity name to see the expanded narrative.
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=19291
 
I was just wondering what would be considered low "ECs" . People say that sdn is not representative of the applicant pool, but I cant help but get worried when I see people that have 2000 clinical hours and all. I have ~300 clinical volunteering hours in a PCP office over 2.5 years, and ~50 hours of hospital volunteering over 8 months-cut short due to covid. I also have around ~150 hours over 2 years in helping to sort and ship medical supplies to countries and communities that are lacking medical supplies, but I have no direct contact with anyone that I am helping so I don't think that this can be considered really serving undeserved communities like working in a soup kitchen can. I also have around 30-40 hours of other non-clinical volunteering through various other clubs. Also am starting to online tutor refugees through United nations volunteering, which would be around 20 hours before I apply and 100 hours in the end of the summer before interviews get sent out so I could send update letters. Also have like ~150 research hours with no pub and one poster. Would these be considered weak ECs as they are somewhat cookie cutter, or do people think this is alright.

Also have another question, I want to make my app focused on primary care, and put this down as my specialty I want to go into , but many people seem to really advise against this, and I was wondering what the reason for that is?
Your question lies outside the scope of this thread. WAMC, where you also posted, is the appropriate forum to answer your concern. Please don't crosspost in multiple forums, as you have. It makes the Mods cranky.

When it's time for you to consider the best way fill out the Activities portion of your application, we'll be happy to help.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could, if you want to minimize the research process for some reason (the more important component), but why not use a Research-labeled space and mention the poster at the end?
I didn't think about this--I assumed I should categorize this as "poster/presentation" just because I have a poster presentation. This would also be my 4th research category--maybe that's too much. I stayed consistent in my volunteering activities so I have a few 2-3 year commitments, but I jumped around labs until I found things I liked, so I have multiple smaller, 100 hour research experiences.
 
I didn't think about this--I assumed I should categorize this as "poster/presentation" just because I have a poster presentation. This would also be my 4th research category--maybe that's too much. I stayed consistent in my volunteering activities so I have a few 2-3 year commitments, but I jumped around labs until I found things I liked, so I have multiple smaller, 100 hour research experiences.
You could group some of the briefer research experiences and then have room for a space dedicated to Posters/Presentations, too.
 
You could group some of the briefer research experiences and then have room for a space dedicated to Posters/Presentations, too.
Now that I'm thinking about it, I think making it a research section and deemphasizing the poster is what I would prefer more, because I learned more from the process/class and not as much from the poster itself. Do you think it would matter in terms of how schools would view it? I also was hesitant because if I listed the research, I'm basically talking about the class itself, and then wouldn't I be double counting my curricular activities as extracurricular activities?
 
Now that I'm thinking about it, I think making it a research section and deemphasizing the poster is what I would prefer more, because I learned more from the process/class and not as much from the poster itself.
1) Do you think it would matter in terms of how schools would view it?
2) I also was hesitant because if I listed the research, I'm basically talking about the class itself, and then wouldn't I be double counting my curricular activities as extracurricular activities?
1) Where did you present the poster? Was it at your university? Was the poster a requirement of the class?
2) You can include any experience that you think makes you a stronger candidate.
 
Hello,
Similar to a question asked previously, I am a member of a sorority that continues beyond undergrad. I have held leadership positions, as well as participated in countless community service activities and programs. How should these experiences be listed? Should I incorporate it under both leadership and community service?
 
1) Where did you present the poster? Was it at your university? Was the poster a requirement of the class?
2) You can include any experience that you think makes you a stronger candidate.
I couldn't present it at my university conference because it got cancelled due to Covid, but the conference gave us permission to cite the poster presentation on resumes and what not. The writeup/rough poster was a requirement of the class, but registering it with the conference, touching it up to be presentation worthy, and presenting it was an option.
 
Hello,
Similar to a question asked previously, I am a member of a sorority that continues beyond undergrad. I have held leadership positions, as well as participated in countless community service activities and programs. How should these experiences be listed? Should I incorporate it under both leadership and community service?
You can't do both, but I was told to put it under community service, if your title and description clearly shows your leadership role. If you have space, you can split it up into separate leadership activities and community service activities. If you're lacking in explicit leadership sections, you can list it as leadership, but I personally listed mine as community service since my leadership role is apparent in the title/description.
 
Similar to a question asked previously, I am a member of a sorority that continues beyond undergrad. I have held leadership positions, as well as participated in countless community service activities and programs. How should these experiences be listed? Should I incorporate it under both leadership and community service?
If you have the space to use two slots so that you can dedicate them to the leadership roles vs the service roles that would be ideal, so long as you split the hours out and don't count them twice.

If you want to speak more widely about general sorority membership and include community service among those comments, you'd instead use the tag Extracurricular, or Other (and could include leadership roles with that, or alternatively, split them out with their own hours into a Leadership-tagged space).
 
I couldn't present it at my university conference because it got cancelled due to Covid, but the conference gave us permission to cite the poster presentation on resumes and what not. The writeup/rough poster was a requirement of the class, but registering it with the conference, touching it up to be presentation worthy, and presenting it was an option.
An on-campus poster presentation that did not undergo a competitive, peer-review process (being required and all) is most appropriately included with the Research description, rather than being given a Posters/Presentations space. In your case, as the presentation did not happen due to COVID-19, the most you can say is that the poster had been scheduled for a presentation at [Campus Poster Day, or whatever the event was called] but the event was canceled due to . . .
 
Last edited:
Hi Catalystik,

Couple questions:
1) I routinely play pickup basketball every week and intramural basketball since freshman year (2 years out of grad now). Should it be listed under hobbies? If so, do I just guesstimate how many total hours of basketball I've played?

2) I have some volunteer/shadowing activities that are placed under hold because of COVID-19. Do I list the projected hours or the hours I have completed as of now?

3) Currently, I am volunteering once a day every week to deliver groceries to the elderly. Do I list the projected hours or the hours I have completed as of now? I guess I'm not sure how to take into account the COVID and guesstimate the hours.

Apologies if these had been answered I must've missed it. Thank you!
 
Where would I list a book I published? It has an ISBN and everything. It's a textbook-lite* that I wrote for an undergraduate class I taught, but can be a standalone book too.
*I wouldn't classify it as a textbook but was a book I published that had cases and analyses of the course topics. It was about 80 pages long.

Also, where do patents go? What information about the patents should I include? I can include the patent number for my accepted and pending patents, but what about the provisional ones? Would just the titles suffice?
 
Couple questions:
1) I routinely play pickup basketball every week and intramural basketball since freshman year (2 years out of grad now). Should it be listed under hobbies? If so, do I just guesstimate how many total hours of basketball I've played?

2) I have some volunteer/shadowing activities that are placed under hold because of COVID-19. Do I list the projected hours or the hours I have completed as of now?

3) Currently, I am volunteering once a day every week to deliver groceries to the elderly. Do I list the projected hours or the hours I have completed as of now? I guess I'm not sure how to take into account the COVID and guesstimate the hours.
1) List it under Hobbies. For hours use 999 (meaning unknowable number), since it doesn't really matter for this category or your best-guess estimate.

2) List just the hours you've completed, but in the narrative add that when COVID-19 restrictions are lifted you plan to resume for X hrs/wk until [end date].

3) Since you remain actively involved in this activity, I suggest using the Repeated feature to enter completed dates and hours (using the current month as the end date) for datespan #1 and future hours (starting with the current month) for date span #2. Both will appear at the top of the entry in the header. If you are not sure when you'll quit, instead of a Repeated entry, use the same approach I suggested in item 2), perhaps stating in the narrative that the activity will no longer be necessary when COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, but will continue for X hrs/week until then (without listing an hourly total).
 
1) Where would I list a book I published? It has an ISBN and everything. It's a textbook-lite* that I wrote for an undergraduate class I taught, but can be a standalone book too.
*I wouldn't classify it as a textbook but was a book I published that had cases and analyses of the course topics. It was about 80 pages long.

2) Also, where do patents go? What information about the patents should I include? I can include the patent number for my accepted and pending patents, but what about the provisional ones? Would just the titles suffice?
1) I suggest using the Teaching or Artistic Endeavors tag.

2) You can use a Publications space to list Patents and Patents Pending. In the same space add the Provisional Patents (you can use your patent atty for the Contact). Make all the descriptions brief enough so that it fits in the space. Alternatively, you can include them in the same space where you describe the project that led to the patent application.
 
I'm writing one of my most meaningful descriptions, and was wondering if I should directly relate the applicability to medicine? I know you've said before to someone else that we should let adcoms connect the dots, but wasn't sure if this applied to Most Meaningful descriptions (1325 characters) as well? (Right now I'm over the limit, and need to decide what's necessary and worth keeping). Thanks!
 
I'm writing one of my most meaningful descriptions, and was wondering if I should directly relate the applicability to medicine? I know you've said before to someone else that we should let adcoms connect the dots, but wasn't sure if this applied to Most Meaningful descriptions (1325 characters) as well? (Right now I'm over the limit, and need to decide what's necessary and worth keeping). Thanks!
In general, I'd say it applies across the board. Would you like to reproduce the sentence you're not sure about? I can delete it from my quote.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I am a bit of a nontraditional applicant and have been worked in 3 different academic labs over the last 5 years (due to PI's moving, non-renewal of grants etc.) Should I include each lab as a separate activity?
 
Hi I am a bit of a nontraditional applicant and have been worked in 3 different academic labs over the last 5 years (due to PI's moving, non-renewal of grants etc.) Should I include each lab as a separate activity?
It depends. Are you a good candidate for highly-selective, research-oriented med schools? Then you'd want to give more emphasis to your research endeavors (unless some of them were not particularly significant in demonstrating an upward trajectory in significance, problem solving, &/or creative input). If your focus is more on less-selective, primary care or service-oriented schools, then combining some of the labs to de-emphaize research involvement could be a better strategy for you.
 
I cofounded a men's choir group with a few other friends, but not officially as a student organization with the university. We just all meet about once a month or so to sing some songs together acapella and hang out. It's something we do for fun with food and drink(no alcohol).

1) Would this be appropriate to list on AMCAS, and if so,
2) is it necessary to add a reference contact? We didn't have any faculty mentor to help us, so not sure what I'd put in this part.

I would also be fine listing it as a hobby. What is the right thing to do for this activity?
1) Yes, list it on AMCAS.

2) Choose Hobbies as the tag and you aren't required to give a Contact. Include the leadership role in the title of the space, as well as discussing it in the narrative.
 
I think that's subtle enough to include if you want to. What I would not want to see would be your projection that those skills would be helpful in a future doc.

Do you mean that you don't think the skills I learned would be helpful in medicine? I was trying to subtly portray that with my description; I just wasn't sure if I should include a sentence to directly say something like, "these *insert people skills* will prepare me for being a great doc.."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.