• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Official: Bennington 2005

Febrifuge

Grizzled Old Newcomer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 7, 2003
febrifuge.blogspot.com
  1. Non-Student
    I am following Pemulis' lead, and putting out the call for anyone who'll be joining me in the rolling green hills for some Post-Bac action this year.

(Note: this thread is far more likely than the Goucher one to evolve into an interpretive dance at some point.)

ockhamsRzr

in media res
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Aug 27, 2004
    Boston
      Feb,

I just didn't want your thread to have that depressing "0" in the replies column. More than a small part of me wishes I was joining you at Bennington (especially as I toil in obscurity in my UMass 150+ person Bio111 class!). Alas, it's Harvard for me most likely in the Fall.

But believe me, the lure of the interpretive dance made the decision all the more difficult!

Ockham

Febrifuge said:
      I am following Pemulis' lead, and putting out the call for anyone who'll be joining me in the rolling green hills for some Post-Bac action this year.

(Note: this thread is far more likely than the Goucher one to evolve into an interpretive dance at some point.)

About the Ads

Febrifuge

Grizzled Old Newcomer
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      May 7, 2003
      febrifuge.blogspot.com
      1. Non-Student
        I know the town just voted to let Wal-Mart expand the store, and I think that's a horrid idea, but don't let that stop you. Surely some other SDN'er is going to be out there at Longmeadow House this summer. Post here and I'll buy you a beer at the Pub.

jake332

10+ Year Member
        Apr 2, 2005
          I'm about as close as anyone can get to committing to the program at Bennington. I think you’re right about this being the best program around and now I’m just running through the final stages of figuring out how to pay for it. Seeing as there are only going to be roughly 10 of us, I think it’s a considerable achievement that two of us have stumbled across each other. Who knows, we might even find a third. Cheers!

Febrifuge

Grizzled Old Newcomer
          7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          May 7, 2003
          febrifuge.blogspot.com
          1. Non-Student
            Wow, what an open-ended question. I chose Bennington because I had a whole long list of things I was looking for in a program. They mostly stemmed from my experiences and preferences. In general, it was a good fit because I've been out of school for over 5 years; because I like smaller classes; and because I wanted to be free of the distractions of a big city; and because I want to become a competitive applicant for med school, but I don't want to have to compete against my classmates.

The program can be two years, or one. Info like that is on the web page for the program. http://faculty.bennington.edu/~science/postbac.htm

Strawberryfire

10+ Year Member
            Apr 16, 2005
            San Francisco, CA
              It's great to see the enthusiasm people have about Bennington. As for me, I am trying to decide if I want to go to Bennington or, well, mostly, Boston U. But from everything I have read and heard about Bennington it sounds like the best program as far as their philosophy and cirriculum. And the administration is very cool over the phone. So I'm *this* close to sending in my deposit, but am a little restrained by my love for Boston and mass transit. Have any of you actually lived in the Bennington area before? I'm going to go visit soon, but just wanted to know if anyone had any extra insights to share.

About the Ads

Febrifuge

Grizzled Old Newcomer
              7+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              May 7, 2003
              febrifuge.blogspot.com
              1. Non-Student
                Okay, so there's Lukie and there's me. Obviously two out of ~10 is a pretty good ratio for SDN users-to-PostBacs, but even so, a beer to anyone who posts here who will be attending in Bennington this summer.

I'll be flipping burgers on the grill outside Long Meadow House on June the 8th. Who wants cheese on theirs?

Febrifuge

Grizzled Old Newcomer
                7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                May 7, 2003
                febrifuge.blogspot.com
                1. Non-Student
                  sunnyjohn said:
                  Febrifuge, I'll help you out....
                  :laugh: yeah, I guess when you pile 'em all up this thread looks pretty sad, eh? I'm not a pathetic, desperate stalker, really... I just play one on the Internet.

sunnyjohn said:
                  1. Where is Bennington?
                  Bennington, Vermont. In the southwest portion of the state, in the foothills of the Green Mountains. About an hour outside Albany, NY.

sunnyjohn said:
                  2. Is this an SMP?
                  Nope, it's a straight-up Post-Baccalaureate certificate. (For FA purposes it's a "fifth-year undergrad" program.) It can be done in either one or two years. They take something like 10 or 15 people per year.

sunnyjohn said:
                  3. Is it an undergrad program for GPA improvement?
                  Specifically and explicitly, no. It's for career-changers who have had few to none of the med school pre-reqs.

sunnyjohn said:
                  4. How much does it cost?
                  A whole hell of a lot. :)

sunnyjohn said:
                  5. What numbers do you need to get in? <3.0? MCAT? GRE? MAT?
                  Numbers are only part of it. You need <3.0. You will not have done the MCAT, almost by definition (being someone with no science pre-reqs). GRE I don't know; I got in with my kick-ass ACT scores from 11th grade (in 1987). :D And you need a good essay and interview, plus good LORs. Because it would be a disaster for someone to go into this crazy thing half-cocked, they want to know you have solid reasons for switching to medicine. (And even though they love to get paid, taking people who are not ready would mess up the excellent, like >95%, placement ratio.)

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Feb 24, 2005
                  In a world all my own.
                  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
                    Febrifuge said:
                    http://faculty.bennington.edu/~science/postbac.htm

Yep, that's the link. I'm from Minnesota; is 26.3 feet of snow a lot? ;)

They need an ad agency ... You don't post a photo of the science building during a blizzard to attract folks.... :smuggrin:

"I'm freezin' my nips off here." - Stewie Griffin

But I like the underwater photo of the Marine Bio class in the USVI!!!

Yeah well..... I've heard Burlington is a nice town to live in....

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
                    10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Feb 24, 2005
                    In a world all my own.
                    1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
                      Febrifuge said:
                      ...Sadly, Burlington is about two and a half hours north. One of the criteria on my list, which Bennington eventually fit, was "small town with not much to do but study." ;)

Well it sounds like you have removed all distractions...

STUDY YOU SHALL!

I bet they have a Starbucks and Super Walmart though.... :p

If I had the cash, and if my affianced was willing, I'd join ya.

lukie

10+ Year Member
                      Mar 22, 2005
                        I'm glad you decided on Bennington! :thumbup: I'll be on-campus, too, for the summer. It's so different from SF... just 1 bus stop in the town. :eek:

Strawberryfire said:
                        Hey guys, I just sent in my (amazingly cheap) rent check for staying on campus for the summer and am excited to start! Are you doing the same or already looking for apartments?

Febrifuge

Grizzled Old Newcomer
                        7+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        May 7, 2003
                        febrifuge.blogspot.com
                        1. Non-Student
                          I'm on-campus for the summer too. Good grief, we have three Long Meadow people right here? Amazing!

How do we decide on who gets which room? Whose deposit was in first? Who arrives first? Feats of Strength? :p

Strawberryfire said:
                          Hey guys, I just sent in my (amazingly cheap) rent check for staying on campus for the summer and am excited to start! Are you doing the same or already looking for apartments?

About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.