*Official CSU East Bay PHAP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxyjenny

Reaction score
Hi All! Starting a thread since I did not see any for this cycle.
I was recently accepted into CSUEB's PHAP program for the AET/Track-II path (I'm pre-PA). I wanted to see if anyone has accepted their admissions? And if any current or graduated students from the program have feedback on if CSUEB PHAP truly made them a more competitive applicant or not?

I am currently on the fence since program is expensive (~18k for 1 year/10 courses minimum as required for the certificate) but I do need to re-take some pre-reqs and CSUEB offers the most flexible course selections/times and the letter of evaluation upon completion of the program seems very promising. I know retaking pre-reqs at a CC would be much cheaper but I'm concerned about the schedule of classes since I am hoping to be working part-time to get some clinical hours in.

Any feedback would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I am starting the PHAP program this fall, also on the Academic Enhancer track. I would also like to know whether the program made them a more competitive applicant. I would also love advice on anything else you did to help with your application and how to gain more outside non-academic (volunteering, research).

Hey! I am starting the PHAP program this fall, also on the Academic Enhancer track. I would also like to know whether the program made them a more competitive applicant. I would also love advice on anything else you did to help with your application and how to gain more outside non-academic (volunteering, research).
hows the program going?

Members don't see this ad :)
hows the program going?
Sorry for the very late response! So far the program is going well, they have a lot more resources then I realized and I would recommend applying if you are looking for a post-bacc program. It has only been 2 months, but I'll write updates periodically. It seems that they have connections to great schools which is good. They offer a lot of opportunities to network as well. They offer a good range of classes that are exactly what is needed for applying to med school. I'm excited about it

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to post on this thread because it's the most recent one about CSUEB's phap program. I applied back in August for Spring 2020. It sounds like this program has A LOT of resources for their students which I really value. Especially since I recently changed from pre-physical therapy to pre-med.

I was wondering how long did it take you to hear back from the program? Also if you guys have any advice about the program in general, like what are resources you wish you took advantage of? Really anything would be appreciated :) Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to post on this thread because it's the most recent one about CSUEB's phap program. I applied back in August for Spring 2020. It sounds like this program has A LOT of resources for their students which I really value. Especially since I recently changed from pre-physical therapy to pre-med.

I was wondering how long did it take you to hear back from the program? Also if you guys have any advice about the program in general, like what are resources you wish you took advantage of? Really anything would be appreciated :) Thank you!
Hi ! I recently submitted an application to them and am waiting to see if I got accepted or not. I was wondering if you mind sharing your stats for acceptance? I've had an up and down undergrad but overall should be 3.2 . Also, did you receive an acceptance yet? Thanks ^_^

Hey all, I applied for Spring 2020 too! Applied 9/25 & still waiting to hear back. I'd love to hear more about the program from anyone with experience. I can't really find much about what they offer other than having separate classes for post-bacc students.

Does the program offer anything in terms of shadowing/volunteering? I saw a website for a clinic set up by PHAP students -- is that still active?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi ! I recently submitted an application to them and am waiting to see if I got accepted or not. I was wondering if you mind sharing your stats for acceptance? I've had an up and down undergrad but overall should be 3.2 . Also, did you receive an acceptance yet? Thanks ^_^

Didn't get accepted yet, but fingers crossed! I called the PHAP office mid-October to follow up on my application. They said they were having conflicts in scheduling the committee together to review applications. The office told me to follow up with them in 2 weeks which marks tomorrow. Interestingly enough if you don't follow the CSUEB PHAP FB page someone posted that they just got accepted last week for Spring 2020 so I have a feeling we all should be hearing back in the near future.

That's all the information I can gather for patiently waiting XD

Coincidently my stats are the same as yours. I got a 3.2 in undergrad with finally getting my act together my last two years of college lol

Hope you hear good news soon and become future colleagues!

Hey all, I applied for Spring 2020 too! Applied 9/25 & still waiting to hear back. I'd love to hear more about the program from anyone with experience. I can't really find much about what they offer other than having separate classes for post-bacc students.

Does the program offer anything in terms of shadowing/volunteering? I saw a website for a clinic set up by PHAP students -- is that still active?

Hey darkbidder,

Don't have experience since I'm a prospective applicant but I've been following their CSUEB PHAP FB page for quite some time and I'm really surprised how active the admin is on there. They're tutors, mentors, admin, posting about events, or which programs are coming to CSUEB for you to connect/network, people posting jobs relating to healthcare, applying etc. That's why I think CSUEB's community is extremely resourceful. If you'd like you can join it and browse their page, their FB admin has to approve you but I don't think it would be any problem. I joined the group when I was applying so I think it's for anyone who is in the program, interested, or prospective applicants like us.

Hey darkbidder,

Don't have experience since I'm a prospective applicant but I've been following their CSUEB PHAP FB page for quite some time and I'm really surprised how active the admin is on there. They're tutors, mentors, admin, posting about events, or which programs are coming to CSUEB for you to connect/network, people posting jobs relating to healthcare, applying etc. That's why I think CSUEB's community is extremely resourceful. If you'd like you can join it and browse their page, their FB admin has to approve you but I don't think it would be any problem. I joined the group when I was applying so I think it's for anyone who is in the program, interested, or prospective applicants like us.

I found the FB page a while back but I assumed it was for admitted students only lol. That's why I've been almost obsessively checking other websites for more info. I'll go check it out, thanks!!

Hello everyone! So I applied to the Post Back as well now I'm waiting to hear back for spring 2020. Has anyone heard back yet?

Thanks!!

Didn't get accepted yet, but fingers crossed! I called the PHAP office mid-October to follow up on my application. They said they were having conflicts in scheduling the committee together to review applications. The office told me to follow up with them in 2 weeks which marks tomorrow. Interestingly enough if you don't follow the CSUEB PHAP FB page someone posted that they just got accepted last week for Spring 2020 so I have a feeling we all should be hearing back in the near future.

Coincidently my stats are the same as yours. I got a 3.2 in undergrad with finally getting my act together my last two years of college lol

when did you submit your application ? I’m thinking of calling them but then again I submitted my application October 19 and on the applicant status it says they’re reviewing it and will lmk but idk how long it’s been saying that since I stopped checking everyday. The anxiety it gives me uh

when did you submit your application ? I’m thinking of calling them but then again I submitted my application October 19 and on the applicant status it says they’re reviewing it and will lmk but idk how long it’s been saying that since I stopped checking everyday. The anxiety it gives me uh

I’m on the same boat as you. I’ve been complete since early October as well

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)

I submitted my application back late August. When I followed up with them they just told me to keep checking mycsueb. I'm still waiting. I definitely understand because I've been anxious about it since August LOL

I submitted my application back late August. When I followed up with them they just told me to keep checking mycsueb. I'm still waiting. I definitely understand because I've been anxious about it since August LOL
I saw from the fb group that spring classes are already available (nov 3rd) to the existing students there . Hopefully we’ll hear back soon!

I saw from the fb group that spring classes are already available (nov 3rd) to the existing students there . Hopefully we’ll hear back soon!

I just checked the class schedule & a lot of the classes are closed/full. Now I'm even more stressed out lol

Okay so I contacted the office of admissions graduate office and she said the admissions are released /people are notified late in the game like a week before school starts type of late

Okay so I contacted the office of admissions graduate office and she said the admissions are released /people are notified late in the game like a week before school starts type of late

Well that sucks for those of us who need to find living arrangements and leave jobs :/

But the person who picked up was a student as well so it’s kind of unreliable ? Because according to the “how to apply” document, it’ll take a total of 8-10 weeks for the entire application process. But I know my applicant status changed from “applicant being processed” to “applicant being reviewed by committee “ on October 30/31. So it should take two to four weeks to give me a decision or not. Hopefully they’ll contact us by then fingers crossed!

That's more useful information than whoever I talked to last friday lol. Thanks for that!

What the heck that's insane.. How are new students going to even sign up for classes that late & I live in socal so I'd have to scramble to find housing

Hey guys!

I wrapped up my time at PHAP this past May as a pre-med academic enhancer. I can try and answer any questions you have!

As far as when the office gets back to you re: decisions -- I started in winter quarter of 2018 (back when CSUEB was on quarters). I just checked my email and I was admitted on 11/27/17 and I applied around 9/25/17.

Yes, decisions can come as late as the week before classes begin. Yes, a lot of classes are probably starting to fill up. PHAP continues to add classes as the beginning of the semester approaches - so there's still hope. They'll also probably open up some 7-week courses shortly (some of the courses are only 7 weeks long. After switching to the semester system, and for only a few classes per semester, PHAP split the semester into two 7-week long sessions. I know students who took a total of 4 courses during a semester by taking two 7-week courses in the first half of the semester, and two 7-week courses in the second half). There should almost certainly be space! I personally don't know anyone who wasn't able to fill their schedule. There also tends to be significant waitlist movement for courses, so make sure you add yourself to the list during registration! You'll be given priority registration with the rest of the students once you've completed a semester in the program.

Your best resource is the Facebook group. I found the administration to be generally helpful, but I definitely got most of the details I needed via the Facebook group. You should absolutely join the group.

I really enjoyed my time at PHAP. Not a flex, but if it's any solace, I entered the program with a 3.18 cumulative GPA and I'm super thankful to have gained 7 MD acceptances - one of which is my top choice at a top 20 school.

Ask any and all questions and I'll try to be as helpful as possible!
7 MD?! Did the school help Prep you / guide you during applications and interviews? Also, congratulations !!

Hey guys!

I wrapped up my time at PHAP this past May as a pre-med academic enhancer. I can try and answer any questions you have!

As far as when the office gets back to you re: decisions -- I started in winter quarter of 2018 (back when CSUEB was on quarters). I just checked my email and I was admitted on 11/27/17 and I applied around 9/25/17.

Yes, decisions can come as late as the week before classes begin. Yes, a lot of classes are probably starting to fill up. PHAP continues to add classes as the beginning of the semester approaches - so there's still hope. They'll also probably open up some 7-week courses shortly (some of the courses are only 7 weeks long. After switching to the semester system, and for only a few classes per semester, PHAP split the semester into two 7-week long sessions. I know students who took a total of 4 courses during a semester by taking two 7-week courses in the first half of the semester, and two 7-week courses in the second half). There should almost certainly be space! I personally don't know anyone who wasn't able to fill their schedule. There also tends to be significant waitlist movement for courses, so make sure you add yourself to the list during registration! You'll be given priority registration with the rest of the students once you've completed a semester in the program.

Your best resource is the Facebook group. I found the administration to be generally helpful, but I definitely got most of the details I needed via the Facebook group. You should absolutely join the group.

I really enjoyed my time at PHAP. Not a flex, but if it's any solace, I entered the program with a 3.18 cumulative GPA and I'm super thankful to have gained 7 MD acceptances - one of which is my top choice at a top 20 school.

Ask any and all questions and I'll try to be as helpful as possible!
Also do you mind releasing the school list you’ve applied to? If not it’s cool ty for sharing anyway !

@BadWahn Would you say the program is helpful for advising and letters of recommendation? I went to a UC school so I have like 0 LOR's and there wasn't a pre-med committee/advisors.

Are there any PHAP-specific clinical volunteer/job opportunities? I saw posts on the FB group for some but I was just wondering if most people do their own thing outside of class or are there any official/unofficial clubs?

Also, do most students live near the Hayward or Concord campus & off-campus or on-campus? Just thinking ahead because I don't know how late I'll find out about my acceptance decision. I commuted from home during undergrad but this is new for me bc I would have to move to attend the program.

Hey guys, I am also applied to the PHAP program for the following spring semester and I was wondering @BadWahn how were the classes? to idk assuming you went to UC?

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Thanks!

There's a seminar class that is required for a committee letter. In the second semester, the class revolves around writing personal statements and keeping on track to finish applications in a timely manner. The seminar also covers the basic logistics of the application process and general tips for the application itself.

There's also a required interview for the committee letter. I'm not sure what it's like for dental letters, but for medical school, it was a quasi-MMI situation with three faculty members. After the interview, they give you immediate feedback for interviews in the future.

Aside from that, I learned a lot from setting up appointments with a PHAP adviser. He went over my application with me and we looked at historical trends concerning where PHAP students have had success/where I would fit given my stats. I relied a lot on my classmates/sdn/reddit as well.
Cries. Thank you for replying cross my fingers I get in !

@BadWahn The program sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! So you say that the committee letter requires a certain MCAT.. I have 2 expired MCAT scores but I'm planning on retaking it in April 2021 because I'm applying in 2021. Is it possible to get the letter after graduating (Dec 2020 in my case)?

Thanks for all the info!!

@BadWahn another question, so you mentioned that you were accepted for the winter quarter which roughly started around January of 2018, did you take your MCAT and apply during the same year, like were you still taking classes while applying and you just did academic updates to your portal for MD school or did you apply after you were done with classes?

I ask because I am planning to take my DAT during March and apply in June of 2020 and fingers crossed get in school by 2021 and am not sure how this is going to work

I got accepted!! It was under application status on mycsueb but I haven't received any emails or anything yet. So excited!

Reactions: 2 users
I got accepted!! It was under application status on mycsueb but I haven't received any emails or anything yet. So excited!

Me too :))

Me too :))

Me three! Can't wait to meet you all and our future cohort!

if you haven't checked your email @Drogon22 I think CSUEB should have sent an email. It include our "next-steps" packet. I just checked mine and saw it in my inbox :)

if you haven't checked your email @Drogon22 I think CSUEB should have sent an email. It include our "next-steps" packet. I just checked mine and saw it in my inbox :)

Awesome! Thank you

I haven't gotten anything yet :oops: Was it sent to your horizon email?

Is there a roommate board somewhere / fb page ?

I haven't gotten anything yet :oops: Was it sent to your horizon email?

They sent it to my personal email that I put when I was filling out the application. Let me know if you still haven't received it yet. I can send it to you!

Is there a roommate board somewhere / fb page ?

There's an off-campus housing FB page but every time I try to join it gives me an error. I don't know if it's something on my end or what.

They sent it to my personal email that I put when I was filling out the application. Let me know if you still haven't received it yet. I can send it to you!

I'll PM you!

Hi! I just got accepted. Does anyone have any information on what classes to register for/scheduling advising?

Hey All,

I just got accepted and I was wondering if anyone wants to be roommates?

Hi! I've been accepted and was wondering how people are funding their program as well as finding housing in the area. I'm from the Bay area but not too familiar with Hayward.

Hi! I've been accepted and was wondering how people are funding their program as well as finding housing in the area. I'm from the Bay area but not too familiar with Hayward.
Congrats! Personally I'll be using a loan and hopefully getting a typical part-time job in the area, to schedule around classes. Unfortinarley, I do not think that PostBacc programs are eligible for Financial Aid as undegrad education is, unless you apply for a FAFSA loan.
Can I ask when you submitted your application? I applied on April 1st and have not heard back yet, and wanted to get an idea of when I might.

I also applied in April and I have yet to hear back.
Shockingly, I was accepted, and received the notice on May 5th, so if you are still waiting on your admissions decision, id say it will come any day now. My stats are far from good, as I barely have a 3.0, but did do clinical research and shadowing for 2 years each (from soph year onward), as well as student teaching and other smaller involvements.

Shockingly, I was accepted, and received the notice on May 5th, so if you are still waiting on your admissions decision, id say it will come any day now. My stats are far from good, as I barely have a 3.0, but did do clinical research and shadowing for 2 years each (from soph year onward), as well as student teaching and other smaller involvements.
Were you emailed or was it on the CSUEB Portal?

ALSO, CONGRATS! I just realized I didn't even say that. Are you located in the Bay?

ALSO, CONGRATS! I just realized I didn't even say that. Are you located in the Bay?
Thank You!
I am not located in the Bay, I did undergrad/am in SoCal, so I will be moving up there for the program.
You will be emailed directly from the phap-email address, not the portal. I know the feeling of anxiously checking the portal every day to see if they updated the admissions decision, so I hope this helps.