Official: Boston University M.A. in Medical Sciences Fall 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a call today from BU and was told that I have finally gotten off the waitlist. What a great news!!! but have my heart set on going to WashU (i got accepted there MONTHS ago)... i have even selected my courses and found housing too.. now i am in a tie.. any advice?? i am a pre-dent. do you guys think the dental school gives some preference to those who completed this master program over someone else who completed a similar program at another school??? this is when the whole world starts to spin.

i have till Monday to respond...

best of luck to all of you who are waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

kenas21 said:
Stinkycheese,

I found some places in or around Fenway/Kenmore area. Is this area safe, especially for students? So far it seems like the ideal place because it is close to BU Charles River campus. I plan to use the their facilities like the gym or rec. center and bus to the medical campus.

I think you're right that Kenmore/Fenway is the best place to live. I'd like to find a place there myself. It'll be a quick commute to the MC campus and is right at the Charle River Campus. The area is very safe, very cool, and has a good amount of fun stuff without being too crazy. There are a fair number of undergrads, but you'll find that anywhere in Boston (where the average age of a city resident is 26, thanks to all the colleges in the area). There's a larger mix of young professionals and grad students such as us, so it's really a great place.

Also, I would imagine there would be less undergrads living nearby. It seems like most undergrads and others students live in or around Allston/Brighton, which could get to noisy and congested. Although, I have heard Fenway/Kenmore area can get pretty loud and congested, especially when the Soxs are home.

Allston and Brighton have good and bad parts. You can definitely find noisy undergrad areas in both, but there are also quieter residential areas; however, these areas are away from the subway, so not a good deal. Yeah, the Fens can get a little rowdy when a game is going on, but as long as you don't live right on Yawkey way, you'll be fine. ;)

Ok what realtors or brokers should I stay away from? How about streets or areas I should stay away from? So far I know not live in Dorchester, South Boston, Roxbury, Mattapan, Hyde Park, Chinatown, and Mission Hill. I listed these areas according the housing guide BU sent out. These areas have lower safety ratings and lower student populations. So far this is almost all that I can go by. Primarily for me, it is about convenience, safety, commute time and price, and not really in that order. Thanks for your help.

All of the areas you listed are fairly unsafe and I agree with your choice to not live there. They're also not too convenient anyway. I really think Kenmore or the Fens is your best bet, with Back Bay (borders Kenmore and the South End), coming in second. But the Back Bay is even more expensive than Kenmore/Fenway, so... anyway. Most of the brokers in the area are pretty good, I would just stay away from those that don't have many no-fee apartments, because this may indicate that they don't have a good rep with the landlords.

Good luck!

Thanks Stinkycheese. I will let you know if I have any other questions or comments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a question I have not been able to figure out. So if you are required to be enrolled in 4 semesters to complete the masters, how much exactly does that cost if 1 year is $30,000. For example, if you get accepted directly into a med school, and have completed 28 units by the summer, and then do your library thesis, would you have to pay another 30,000 for the summer sessions? New scenerio... If you stay on for a research thesis, I understand you can be a paid research assistant, but are you paying $15000 a semester to be doing that research at the Medical campus during your second year? Thanks to anyone who has the inside information on this, as it makes a difference in how much I will need in loans.
-Brandon.

bmjones said:
Here is a question I have not been able to figure out. So if you are required to be enrolled in 4 semesters to complete the masters, how much exactly does that cost if 1 year is $30,000. For example, if you get accepted directly into a med school, and have completed 28 units by the summer, and then do your library thesis, would you have to pay another 30,000 for the summer sessions? New scenerio... If you stay on for a research thesis, I understand you can be a paid research assistant, but are you paying $15000 a semester to be doing that research at the Medical campus during your second year? Thanks to anyone who has the inside information on this, as it makes a difference in how much I will need in loans.
-Brandon.

Well, you're a bit hamstrung by fin. aid. Basically, if you pay $30,000 in tuition, you're going to borrow an extra $18,000 for living expenses, and that's on a serious budget. BU financial aid assesses how much money you need, and will adjust it based upon your rent (if it's very high, for example) or unanticipated living expenses. The point is, you're a grad student, so you're on a grad student's standard of living. It's not like med school where you can borrow lots of money in excess of your standard of living.

Second, if you're doing a research thesis, like I'm doing right now, you're not paying full tuition. Actually, you're paying around $2000/semester, which is the same as taking 2 credits. therefore, you might as well register for 2 research credits (rel. med. sciences) and get the A on your transcript. Getting into a paying lab is not easy... there are few and far between, so good luck with that. BU doesn't give stipends to master's students, so you'll have to find a lab with expendable cash so that they can pay you for menial labor (bottle washing, etc.) in addition to your thesis work, which technically they can't pay you for.

On a side note, for anyone looking for a place to live, I'm looking for a roommate, I live ten minutes walking from campus in the South End area, and it's $775/month Sept. 1st. PM me for details, or read previous posts.

Hey Singing Devil,

first of all thanks for your contribution to this forum. i have always valued your advice. As you know, that i have been admitted to this program, i am in a tie between BU and WU.. the programs dotemd to be similar however. Based on your observation, how do you see the sucess rate of the pre-DENTs at this program?? do you think the BU dental school is more inclined in taking somone from BU's master program or someone from a similar program?? thx for your input.

and to all looking for housing, Fenway/Kenmore is the place to live.

Why is Fenway/Kenmore the place to live? I have been pretty set on the South End because its very close to the med center, but it seems that there's not much happening there except an occasional drug bust in the projects...

the truth said:
Why is Fenway/Kenmore the place to live? I have been pretty set on the South End because its very close to the med center, but it seems that there's not much happening there except an occasional drug bust in the projects...

You're getting the South End confused with Southie ;) (South Boston, very different from the South End.) The South End doesn't have any projects. It's beautiful and an historic district of Boston. Some of the city's best restaurants are there and there's plenty of fun stuff to do in the area and nearby (it is near the Prudential and borders the Back Bay, which is the hoity toity shopping district of Boston).

In the other post, the poster wanted to also live near the Charles River campus of BU (Arts and Sci campus), which is in a completely different section of the city. Kenmore and the Fens are convenient to both campuses, which is why I advocated living there. Also, the South End is wicked expensive, and the part that's near the medical center is near Roxbury, which is ghetto. The part near the med center is also further from Boston's restaurants and nightlife.

I was wondering if any of you wanted to get together to get a 2 or 3 room apartment in the South End or Kenmore/Fenway. It would be cheaper and we would have more "buying power", we could get a really nice place.

I also have the latest off campus list for BUMC, so we could work from there.........though I emailed a bunch of people and it seems like the places are going fast in South End, only one place still open from the six I called.

If interested, pm me

stinkycheese said:
You're getting the South End confused with Southie ;) (South Boston, very different from the South End.) The South End doesn't have any projects. It's beautiful and an historic district of Boston. Some of the city's best restaurants are there and there's plenty of fun stuff to do in the area and nearby (it is near the Prudential and borders the Back Bay, which is the hoity toity shopping district of Boston).

In the other post, the poster wanted to also live near the Charles River campus of BU (Arts and Sci campus), which is in a completely different section of the city. Kenmore and the Fens are convenient to both campuses, which is why I advocated living there. Also, the South End is wicked expensive, and the part that's near the medical center is near Roxbury, which is ghetto. The part near the med center is also further from Boston's restaurants and nightlife.

Well, allow me to comment on this. As someone who lives in the South End, allow me to confirm that there are INDEED projects in the South End. There are low-income housing areas throughout Boston, as it is mandated by law. For instance, Tent City in Back Bay, which is in an especially nice area, is essentially all low income housing. Projects in the South End can be found, for example, in the SoWa area, Aguadilla St. between Tremont and Washington, Worcester St.(not Square), and Methunion area up Columbus St. That's not to say that these areas make the South End less expensive, they don't. The South End's most expensive areas house a large gay male population (of which I'm not a member, not that there's anything wrong with that), hence the large amount of nice restaurants, shops, and boutiques because of the disposible income. With that, in the past 20 years, has come an increasing number of small families and students who like the refurbished brownstones. However, it still has (unlike the Back Bay) a large number of low income families and areas, and hence tends to be rather eclectic, much like Greenwich Village in New York.

Regarding living out in Brighton/Allston, or Brookline, let me tell you what it is like getting to/from the med school from/to the Charles River campus: Hell. If you get lucky, it will take 30 minutes. If you are unlucky, it can take well over an hour. Unlucky happens at least half the time, and you can forget rush hour in the morning or afternoon. I can tell you this because I have friends who have done the commute, and because I have had to go to the main campus several times for various reasons. There is a shuttle, however a)it only runs during the school year, and not during weekends b)it runs every 1.25 hours, so if you miss it (which happens because it doesn't always run on time), you are screwed. Yes, Brookline is a nice area, yes it is cheaper, yes it is fun, but my God, it is a pain the rear trying to get across Boston to the Med Center. If BUMC were on the T somewhere, it might not be so bad, but dammit, it's not. It's actually faster to get to Harvard Square in Cambridge than it is to get out to Brookline from BUMC.

Singing Devil said:
Well, allow me to comment on this. As someone who lives in the South End, allow me to confirm that there are INDEED projects in the South End. There are low-income housing areas throughout Boston, as it is mandated by law. For instance, Tent City in Back Bay, which is in an especially nice area, is essentially all low income housing. Projects in the South End can be found, for example, in the SoWa area, Aguadilla St. between Tremont and Washington, Worcester St.(not Square), and Methunion area up Columbus St. .

I guess I always thought of those areas as being a part of Roxbury, rather than right in the South End, but I stand corrected. ;) I live in Brookline now and I am not looking forward to the commute to BUMC, but it's just not worth the moving expenses and upheaval to move now... I have such a great place and roommate, and she can't move with me. So I'll be doing the long commute. :p Good thing I live on the D line! :laugh:

To those who live in Boston, is the Northend area nice and safe? Do you know how long the commute would be?

kenas21 said:
To those who live in Boston, is the Northend area nice and safe? Do you know how long the commute would be?

Well, it's kind of nice, and it's kind of safe, but it's kind of remote, for now. The North End is the area that was cut off from the rest of Boston by the Central Artery (this big green highway that went through the middle of town). Now that space is occupied by falling highway as they are tearing it down, because the Big Dig has gone in. The green line goes near the North End via North Station, but large sections of the North End are hard to get to via the T. When the Big Dig is finished, I expect bus service will expand, because there will be parks, nice housing, etc. where the Central Artery was. Honestly, you generally want to be near the T, so if you find a place in the North End that is near the T, sure, go for it. One added feature of the North End is the Italian food, which is quite good (since that is Boston's Little Italy).

Members don't see this ad :)
Comet208 said:
Hey Singing Devil,

first of all thanks for your contribution to this forum. i have always valued your advice. As you know, that i have been admitted to this program, i am in a tie between BU and WU.. the programs dotemd to be similar however. Based on your observation, how do you see the sucess rate of the pre-DENTs at this program?? do you think the BU dental school is more inclined in taking somone from BU's master program or someone from a similar program?? thx for your input.

Comet, I honestly don't know. I don't personally know anyone in our program who is pre-dental. I can tell you that BU is a much better med school than a dental school(there was supposedly push in the 80s to scrap the dental school), so I would think that since a fair number from the program get into BU med, it wouldn't be unrealistic to see BU dental take people with decent numbers. You might want to call up BU dental and ask them. By the way, I also understand that our coursework is harder than the dental coursework--e.g. I know of MAMS people who have tutored dental students in Histology and Microbiology--so you'd be better prepared than your classmates when you started dental.

Singing Devil said:
Well, it's kind of nice, and it's kind of safe, but it's kind of remote, for now.

Having lived there myself, I disagree. I think the North End is extremely safe, probably the safest place to live in Boston proper. It's so small that people really look out for each other: it's the Italian way. And the apartments there are REALLY charming, since it's a very old section of town. Most of the landlords are independent ownes, not big management companies, so all the apartments are kept in nice condition, and it all has a very old world feel to it.

I also think the North End would be a fairly convenient place to live. It is further from the South End, but the Orange Line subway goes right through the heart of the North End (which is just one square mile in size), at Haymarket. From there, taking the T to Mass Ave and transferring to the number 1 bus would take as long as anyone doing a similar commute from brookline, brighton, allston, etc, involving a t-bus transfer--- actually, it would probably take less time since the orange line is much faster than the green line.

The only thing about the North End is that there is a lot of construction going on; it's near the Fleet Center so it gets congested during events; and you absolutely will have a difficult time finding a place that takes a car.

stinkycheese said:
Having lived there myself, I disagree. I think the North End is extremely safe, probably the safest place to live in Boston proper. It's so small that people really look out for each other: it's the Italian way. And the apartments there are REALLY charming, since it's a very old section of town. Most of the landlords are independent ownes, not big management companies, so all the apartments are kept in nice condition, and it all has a very old world feel to it.

Well, that's probably true. I really wasn't trying to diss its safety or niceties. It is kind of cute. I was judging it's safeness a bit on the fact that the construction makes some of it seem a little sketchy. But, do you really think Haymarket is in the heart of the North End, or the periphery?

Singing Devil said:
But, do you really think Haymarket is in the heart of the North End, or the periphery?

Does it matter? The North End is one square mile!

stinkycheese said:
Does it matter? The North End is one square mile!

Hmm. well, okay. It's just that, if it's snowing (which does happen), or it's raining, a half mile, for example, can be a bit far. Then to add, waiting for the T when you get there, it's a considerable commute. But no matter, people obviously like living there, so it's not too far for them. I just think it would be a bit much to get to campus everyday from there. If somebody can make it to BUMC in under 45 minutes average from there, hey, all power to them.

Hey guys, I just recieved word that I was accepted into the BU program and I will definetly be starting in the fall. I am also a pre-dent so hopefully it will help me get into dental school next year. I am also heading up to Boston on the 3-6th of August, any particular areas that I should check out, thanks

Singing Devil said:
Hmm. well, okay. It's just that, if it's snowing (which does happen), or it's raining, a half mile, for example, can be a bit far. Then to add, waiting for the T when you get there, it's a considerable commute. But no matter, people obviously like living there, so it's not too far for them. I just think it would be a bit much to get to campus everyday from there. If somebody can make it to BUMC in under 45 minutes average from there, hey, all power to them.

If they can get to BUMC from anywhere other than the South End in less than 45 minute time, then more power to them :laugh: Boston public transport leaves something to be desired. I agree the North End isn't the most convenient location for BUSM, but then again, nothing these days in Boston feels convenient. The Dems are coming! Eeeeek!

This might be off-topic but is there really a gym inside BU Med Center? If not, where can I go to work out? I'm having such a hard time since there aren't any Ballys or 24-hr Fitness's. Price is also a limiting factor so I'm not all that thrilled about those yoga gyms for yuppies in Back Bay. Thanks in advance.

cupcake_queen said:
This might be off-topic but is there really a gym inside BU Med Center? If not, where can I go to work out? I'm having such a hard time since there aren't any Ballys or 24-hr Fitness's. Price is also a limiting factor so I'm not all that thrilled about those yoga gyms for yuppies in Back Bay. Thanks in advance.

I dont know if there is a gym at BUMC. I also don't know where you'll be living or what you consider a yuppy gym, but there are gold's gyms here I believe, and also some bally's, although perhaps not in your area. Boston Sports Clubs (google it for the website) has a bunch of locations around Boston proper. Most gyms here are fairly expensive and if you want a cheaper option, looking into the nearest Y would be good.

Thanks for the input stinkycheese and Singing Devil. Cupcake_queen brought up a good point about a gym or fitness facility. That is one reason why I wanted to be close to the main campus, so I could use the gym there. It will be (well, hopefully) really nice when they open the new fitness center. I still have not decided on sharing a place with someone, because I don't know anyone up there. I have never had a roommate before. I have only lived with my ex-girlfriend and that is about it. Plus I am picky, pretty neat, and meticulous. To those who live in Boston, is it better to have heat and or hot water included in the rent or is it better to pay for it yourself? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages? I am trying to get a general feel of what utilities such as heat, hot water, electricity, water, gas, cable internet or dsl would be per month with high ends and low ends. Obviously, there are a lot of variables that go into how much utilities can be that is why I am asking about both ends of the spectrum. Any other input would be greatly appreciated. I am coming from Dallas, Tx and utilities are quite different around here, that is why I am so curious. I hope to be up there by or before August 6th and through the weekend to go apt. hunting. Thanks again.

Ken

BUMC has a gym affiliated with it, called the South End Fitness Center. For GMS students (us), there is a subsidy and it only costs $50 for the year. It has free weights, a few machines, stationary bikes and treadmills, some aerobics classes (I believe), a swimming pool, and a basketball court where med students, residents, dental students, and graduate students often play ball. During the year, various organizations reserve the basketball court, but it doesn't end up being too bad except during parts of winter when the court is the practice facility for the Cathedral High School on Washington St. The gym also has lockers where you can store your stuff (or rent lockers for the year), showers, etc.

SEFC is in the "Nurse's Tower" on Mass Ave. and Harrison. There is a bridge over Mass. Ave that connects it to the BMC Menino Pavilion, or you can walk there. Very convenient for students. I've been involved in many games of basketball there and have used the treadmills during the school year often. Now, if only I could get off my lazy butt and get there now...

Singing Devil said:
BUMC has a gym affiliated with it, called the South End Fitness Center. For GMS students (us), there is a subsidy and it only costs $50 for the year. It has free weights, a few machines, stationary bikes and treadmills, some aerobics classes (I believe), a swimming pool, and a basketball court where med students, residents, dental students, and graduate students often play ball. During the year, various organizations reserve the basketball court, but it doesn't end up being too bad except during parts of winter when the court is the practice facility for the Cathedral High School on Washington St. The gym also has lockers where you can store your stuff (or rent lockers for the year), showers, etc.

SEFC is in the "Nurse's Tower" on Mass Ave. and Harrison. There is a bridge over Mass. Ave that connects it to the BMC Menino Pavilion, or you can walk there. Very convenient for students. I've been involved in many games of basketball there and have used the treadmills during the school year often. Now, if only I could get off my lazy butt and get there now...

Thanks Singing Devil! That information is really helpful. $50 a year? That's cheap!!!

Does anybody know if we are suppose to sign up for classes ourselves or is it automatic?

Almost finished GMS...it works, got into 2 med schools for next year...as far as classes go, you have to sign up for them yourself...they preregister you for things, but then you can change it around...my advice, don't overwhelm yourself early on...the transition is fairly rough and you want to hit the ground running, not treading water early on...I took my first semester Biochem (a required class, same one the med students take in the spring) Biostats (a required class and an easy A) and an ethics class (fairly interesting, also an easy A) I ended up getting an A in biochem, A in biostats and an A- in ethics which translated into a 3.90 GPA and I got into med school based on that semester alone because most of my final decsions came back before the second semester was over...study hard, do well and good things will happen, I am proof positive of this fact...PM me is you guys need anything...good luck

vernio said:
Almost finished GMS...it works, got into 2 med schools for next year...as far as classes go, you have to sign up for them yourself...they preregister you for things, but then you can change it around...my advice, don't overwhelm yourself early on...the transition is fairly rough and you want to hit the ground running, not treading water early on...I took my first semester Biochem (a required class, same one the med students take in the spring) Biostats (a required class and an easy A) and an ethics class (fairly interesting, also an easy A) I ended up getting an A in biochem, A in biostats and an A- in ethics which translated into a 3.90 GPA and I got into med school based on that semester alone because most of my final decsions came back before the second semester was over...study hard, do well and good things will happen, I am proof positive of this fact...PM me is you guys need anything...good luck

i was wondering how high your undergrad gpa was to begin with. Im thinking about applying to the bu program, but my science gpa is very low, around 2.5. so i am not sure if doing the program will be enough to salvage my gpa

hey guys,

im going to the BU program as well. i just graduated from mit (which is right across the river from BU) so i know the area well. if anyone needs any help figuring the area out or apt hunting, lemme know. id be glad to help.

also, is anyone applying to med school now???? i am and i really need help from someone who has either gone thru the BU program and applied to med school without taking an extra year off or from someone who is going to the prog next year and is applying right now....

Chitown82-

I completed the BU program this past summer and had applied to medical school without taking a year off. I'll be happy to help you out with any specific questions you might have. You can PM me or make a post and i'll help as best I can.

elonDO

Azalea said:
i was wondering how high your undergrad gpa was to begin with. Im thinking about applying to the bu program, but my science gpa is very low, around 2.5. so i am not sure if doing the program will be enough to salvage my gpa

Go to the low GPA thread and read my story if you want to see if this program works.
2.6GPA, 2.3 BCPM.
3.77 GPA at BU MAMS '05. Applying now.

Hi Guys,
I was interested in this program to getting into dental school. Do you have to go through this for the whole 2 years or can I apply to dental school during the first year that I am there? Also, does this program start only in the fall or does it start in the spring?

dentallover15-

Depending on what type of thesis you want to do, you can complete the program in 1 year. If you want to do research, you will probably have to do the program for 2 years, but if you want to finish in 1 year you'll need to do a library thesis. I completed the program in 1 year and applied to medical school during that year and got in. Therefore you could apply to dental school your first year as well.

elonDO said:
dentallover15-

Depending on what type of thesis you want to do, you can complete the program in 1 year. If you want to do research, you will probably have to do the program for 2 years, but if you want to finish in 1 year you'll need to do a library thesis. I completed the program in 1 year and applied to medical school during that year and got in. Therefore you could apply to dental school your first year as well.

elonDo,
Would you explain to me what a library thesis is? Also, how were your GPA's and test scores? Does this program just start in the spring or can I enroll for the spring?

dentallover15 said:
elonDo,
Would you explain to me what a library thesis is? Also, how were your GPA's and test scores? Does this program just start in the spring or can I enroll for the spring?

dentallover15-

As far as when the program starts, I think you can only enroll to start in the fall. I'm not absolutely certain, but pretty sure they will not let you start in the spring. A library thesis is basically a review paper with an original spin on your topic. The requirement for the program is that a library thesis be a minimum of 50 pages. That is not too difficult to attain really, because they make you use smaller margins and larger fonts. My library thesis was about 75 pages or so. Entering the program my undergrad gpa was 3.6 and my MCATs were 22. At the end of the program my gpa was 2.91. With these stats I gained acceptance to 2 medical schools. If you have any more questions let me know.

elonDO said:
dentallover15-

As far as when the program starts, I think you can only enroll to start in the fall. I'm not absolutely certain, but pretty sure they will not let you start in the spring. A library thesis is basically a review paper with an original spin on your topic. The requirement for the program is that a library thesis be a minimum of 50 pages. That is not too difficult to attain really, because they make you use smaller margins and larger fonts. My library thesis was about 75 pages or so. Entering the program my undergrad gpa was 3.6 and my MCATs were 22. At the end of the program my gpa was 2.91. With these stats I gained acceptance to 2 medical schools. If you have any more questions let me know.

Did you mean a 3.91 GPA at the end or your program? Your undergrad GPA was pretty good. Why didn't you just take the MCAT over again-why the post bacc? How hard is it to make good grades in the program? Also, do you know other people who have successfully been accepted to schools while enrolling in the program the first year. Your GPA is much higher than mine, so I am a little hesitant about how it would look to admissions to apply while I'm starting the program. (Although I'm sure med schools are much harder to get matriculated into as opposed to dent schools.)

Nope, unfortunately you read it correctly as a 2.91. I did take the MCAT over again after taking a Kaplan course, but still only managed a 22. Therefore I thought I'd do the postbacc to improve the quality of my academic background. When speaking with admissions committees during interviews, they were very impressed with the program and the courses I was taking. It is not difficult to make good grades in the program as long as you put the time and effort into it. My 2.91 is a reflection of not putting as much time in early on as I should have, along with trying to adjust to the big city and living alone. I know plenty of people that did extremely well in the program. From the class of 2004, i've heard there were about 7 who were accepted to BU from the first year in the program. Therefore I'm sure there are others like myself who were accepted to other schools during the first year of the program. Unfortunately I cannot say that with certainty. I don't think you have to be too worried about a gpa much lower than mine. It seems like a lot of people in the program were in the same situation. For me I had a great gpa and low MCATs, whereas many had a low gpa and great MCATs. I guess it all evens out though. If you do decide to apply during the first semester, make sure you do really well and get those grades to the schools you applied to asap.

Rupesh,
I am also interested in pursuing a dental career and too have a low GPA. I was wondering what post bac schools you applied to. Also, how much is your Boston tuition going to cost you. Hope it all works out for you

elonDO said:
dentallover15-

As far as when the program starts, I think you can only enroll to start in the fall. I'm not absolutely certain, but pretty sure they will not let you start in the spring. .

You can start in the spring.

Dentallover15,

I actually applied to Barry's MS program, Pcom's certificate program and Bu's MA program and I got into all of them, however, I think Bu's is the best fit for me since your taking med school classes and that I think one would have better chances of gaining admission into a professional school. Tuition for this year is a little under 30,000. Pm me if you have any more questions, see you in fall

Hi there MAMS Students...Is anyone having trouble securing a private loan for school? What private loans are you guys taking out? Is there a lender that is more willing to lend out to students...I have been turned down by citibank.

Oh yes...how much are you guys taking out? and does the amount matter to lenders.

Has anyone received their financial aid package from the school? I sent in the paper for the Stafford Direct Loans a couple weeks ago and still haven't heard back?

Firgo, did you use your parents as a cosigner on your Citibank app? If not, that might get you approved.

Yes I did Spartacus...even with my parents as cosigners. I dont know what to do.

I think the financial aid process just takes more time because everyone is applying for it at the same time. I am still waiting too.

kenas21 said:
I think the financial aid process just takes more time because everyone is applying for it at the same time. I am still waiting too.

Thanks kenas21!

where is everyone living? when are you all coming to boston? has anyone picked classes yet? maybe we can set something up for all of us to hang out before orientation...

PM me

Spartacus said:
Has anyone received their financial aid package from the school? I sent in the paper for the Stafford Direct Loans a couple weeks ago and still haven't heard back?

Firgo, did you use your parents as a cosigner on your Citibank app? If not, that might get you approved.

The only financial aid package I got was a general information packet that had a form to request how much you want for subsidised/unsubsidised loans. They ask you to print out your SAR from your online FAFSA and send it in with the loan request form, and then you have to do a coupple of things online like a master promisary note and entrance counseling. I don't think you get an official aid offer like as an undergrad because we can request as much as we want up to the 18,500. I was waiting around for an aid offer and then checked online and realized that you have to do it all yourself. Let me know if anyone has questions about this because I was confused too, and got it figured out finally.

bmjones said:
The only financial aid package I got was a general information packet that had a form to request how much you want for subsidised/unsubsidised loans. They ask you to print out your SAR from your online FAFSA and send it in with the loan request form, and then you have to do a coupple of things online like a master promisary note and entrance counseling. I don't think you get an official aid offer like as an undergrad because we can request as much as we want up to the 18,500. I was waiting around for an aid offer and then checked online and realized that you have to do it all yourself. Let me know if anyone has questions about this because I was confused too, and got it figured out finally.

Oh, thanks I didn't know we had to send in the SAR also, I thought that automatically went to them from FAFSA. I did the entrance counseling thing online, but how do you sign the master promissary note, I thought that was after you received a financial aid package?

Thanks bmjones!

Hello everyone! I just wanted to say thanks for all of your posts re: housing, classes, etc, etc -- very, very helpful ... and a special two thumbs up to you, Singing Devil, your advice has been invaluable!

Now I agree with chitown that it's time to get to the important stuff -- what bar and what time? Is anyone up for having a pre-class celebration ... maybe orientation weekend? If anyone knows Boston well, could you throw out some suggestions of good places to socialize? Thanks! See you all soon ...