***Official Case Western Reserve School of Dental Medicine Acceptance Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

visbimmer79

Cornellian
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys~

Let's talk about Case Western University!

Does anybody know how their class schedule looks like?

I know the one on their official website.

EX)
Yr1 Gross anatomy/physiology
ACE
Biochemistry
Intro to Dentistry..

something like this PLZ.......

Members don't see this ad.

here is the link to their actual schedule for every year.

http://dental.case.edu/insidecase/calendars/schedule.pdf

Thanks~

Can anybody answer to my questions?

a. Is dental anatomy more difficult than gross anatomy in terms of...(Test difficulty, time consuming, the amount of reading or whatever reasons):laugh:

b. Case Western specific question..:)
PBL is done in the 1st yr. May I ask how it is graded? (any tests, note-taking or summary, like discussion section at college?)

Members don't see this ad :)
we dont really have a gross anatomy course you learn some anatomy as you go. the only anatomy y ou will focus on is head and neck at the end of your first year, the bible to that class is Netters Head and Neck anatomy for dentistry. as for dental anatomy....it was one of the more challenging courses from the first year (it lasts all year but is called masticatory dynamics second semester). Dr. J teaches really well but her questions are hard but as I am studying now for boards that is one section that i feel i dont have to study for.

as for PBL...it isnt really graded except for the fact that the facilitators grade you on a 1-5 scale on whether you participate or not. the material that you are going over in PBL is the same stuff you are learning in the lectures during that education module. so in essense PBL is tested on the normal tests at the end of an education module.

we dont really have a gross anatomy course you learn some anatomy as you go. the only anatomy y ou will focus on is head and neck at the end of your first year, the bible to that class is Netters Head and Neck anatomy for dentistry. as for dental anatomy....it was one of the more challenging courses from the first year (it lasts all year but is called masticatory dynamics second semester). Dr. J teaches really well but her questions are hard but as I am studying now for boards that is one section that i feel i dont have to study for.

as for PBL...it isnt really graded except for the fact that the facilitators grade you on a 1-5 scale on whether you participate or not. the material that you are going over in PBL is the same stuff you are learning in the lectures during that education module. so in essense PBL is tested on the normal tests at the end of an education module.

As for PBL, it sounds like being evaluated in the numerical scale, and then determined if one passes or not. Right?
So, it is to facilitate "active learning", but last only during the first year.
If I have wrong info, plz correct me. :laugh:

Plus, you said exams are difficult for dental anatomy. So, I've come to wonder if their exams are not muliple choice type. I also remember now most tests at most dental schools are in multiple choice type that resembles real board test. (Btw, I am NOT discussing whether it's difficult or not) :idea:

AND, I really want to know what are the different features of this hybrid PBL compared with other PBL curriculums at other institutions. Or, why is it called hybrid PBL? Is it because it's also based on the traditional lecture that is taken concurrently? :) :love:

Last edited:
The PBL evaluation as far as i know is just based on participation and preparedness and it graded on a 1-5 scale with a 3 needed to pass.

The dental anatomy tests are multiple choice but they are difficult you will see when you take the test.

And as for it being hybrid as opposed to straight PBL is indeed the fact that there is still traditional lecture involved.

The PBL evaluation as far as i know is just based on participation and preparedness and it graded on a 1-5 scale with a 3 needed to pass.

The dental anatomy tests are multiple choice but they are difficult you will see when you take the test.

And as for it being hybrid as opposed to straight PBL is indeed the fact that there is still traditional lecture involved.

I got much better idea of how it works. :thumbup:

Btw, does CASE re-open their dorms for the new dental students in the following year for sure? :)

I heard there is a reconstruction plan. What is actually happening? (Super brand new dorms? Any unique things? - out of my curiosity)

Last edited:
here is the link to their actual schedule for every year.

http://dental.case.edu/insidecase/calendars/schedule.pdf

a. NDBE question

NDBE must be taken in the middle of 2nd yr. Right? (After fall term of 2nd yr!)

Btw, I don't even know how NDBE looks like. So, will d-students at Case be able to take NDBE test after finishing all prerequisite courses? (I noticed pharmacology seems to be taken after NDBE test according to this schedule, and I believe pharmacology may be the one of the topics covered in the dental board test) :confused:

b. Curriculum question

Are there several things assigned during independent study time?

C. Btw, does CASE re-open their dorms for the new dental students in the following year for sure? :)

I heard there is a reconstruction plan. What is actually happening? (Super brand new dorms? Any unique things? - out of my curiosity)

*Plz understand that I just want to ask these questions to you guys instead of faculty members or staffs at CASE. :)

you do take part 1 mid 2nd year but there is little to no pharm on part 1...if anything it is the basics on antibiotics.

if you want to know about the NBDE go to ADA.org and give it a look.

there is nothing assigned during independent study time that is turned in. you are given topics to research for PBL sessions but a lot of things depend on your group and facilitator.

i have no idea what you mean about dorms...personally i havent lived in a dorm since soph. year of undergrad. people live in apartments or houses that they rent or buy.

dr. rex,

I hope you don't mind answering a few questions about Case.

I know some students live in the frat houses nearby. Is there a neighborhood near Case where the majority of students live? I'm looking for something with a minimum commute time, but in a nice safe place at the same time. Something like a 2-bdrm apt. Any ideas?

Secondly, I read somewhere that you have very few exams at Case, but the exams you do have are worth 100% of your grade. Is this true? Could you give us an idea of your exam schedule?

Thank you!!!

Yes most of our exams are 100% of our grade, some classes we have a midterm and a final in but other then that we have minimal exams. As for the exam schedule you can look on the case website and they show you what it's like.
-Although all our finals for the D1 class were scheduled before thanksgiving this year we actually talked to the faculty and changed our schedule to spread the exams out over 2 weeks rather then having all 7 in one week. (which made it much less stressful for me personally).

the exam thing is true...in your second year you have a lot more tests because you have more classes. for the 1st half of the second year i would say that we had a test maybe every 3 or 4 weeks but it would be over material from a class that only lasted 3-6 weeks. at the end of the semester we had a lot of tests not sure off hand how many but nothing that was any more than anywhere else i am sure and the tests were all very do-able.

as for living situations i am not sure about the frat (delt) house. it is close to the school but i am not sure about the living arrangements. there are plenty of apartments and houses for rent near by in places like little italy or just up the hill from the school off of cedar road that are in walking distance from the school.

i would look on craigslist and come visit some time either a month or 2 before you move here. that will give you the best chance of finding something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes most of our exams are 100% of our grade, some classes we have a midterm and a final in but other then that we have minimal exams. As for the exam schedule you can look on the case website and they show you what it's like.
-Although all our finals for the D1 class were scheduled before thanksgiving this year we actually talked to the faculty and changed our schedule to spread the exams out over 2 weeks rather then having all 7 in one week. (which made it much less stressful for me personally).

a. Do you have study weeks before final? (Tell me if this is also the case for the other tests)

b. I've heard final at Case is comprehensive type! = All in one test! True/False? <Comprehensive Competency Assessment: 11/17 – 11/21???>

------>Actually, buttom line is to confirm that courses & tests at Case are not/less staggered! (Efficient time schedule! --> It's just one of several reasons I like Case)

*Feel like my research on Case is almost done!! :thumbup: Thanks!!

Last edited:
a. Do you have study weeks before final? (Tell me if this is also the case for the other tests)

b. I've heard final at Case is comprehensive type! = All in one test! True/False? <Comprehensive Competency Assessment: 11/17 – 11/21???>

------>Actually, buttom line is to confirm that courses & tests at Case are not/less staggered! (Efficient time schedule! --> It's just one of several reasons I like Case)

Can anybody complete my two answers, so I can move onto another topic?

b. I've heard final at Case is comprehensive type! = All in one test! True/False? <Comprehensive Competency Assessment: 11/17 &#8211; 11/21???>

1.) There were not any study weeks before finals. The closest thing to a "study week" was that our Dental Anatomy final was 3 or 4 weeks after the class ended.

2.) During Case D1 Fall you'll have these finals/tests:

a.) Health, Science and Society - a combo of community dentistry, intro to caries, and epidemiology...If I remember correctly, the final is 6-7 weeks into the semester.
b.) Foundations of Life Science - the basics of biochem, genetics, a tidbit of micro, etc...all classes and concepts you would have taken in undergrad...Taken 6 weeks after the end of HSS (above)
c.) ACE midterm - it deals with dentistry...including dealing with children, ergonomics, culture, mouth-guards, and sealants etc. A wide variety of easy, yet interesting things.
d.) Dental Anatomy wax-up competencies...timed wax-ups x 3
e.) Dental Anatomy practice tests..you still had to get 60%, though, to make sure you were keeping up with the EEEEENORMOUS amounts of info.

We had these finals during finals week (actually two weeks)

a.) Dental Anatomy
b.) DentSim
c.) Perio
d.) Heart and Lung
e.) ACE
f.) Facial Growth
g.) - Comprehensive exam. This consisted of everything I mentioned above. It is 90% essay, and mostly opinion. It is summative, which means there is no "grade"...We have not seen our grades and probably won't. I've heard, though, that they have been scored and will be considered for those top of the class kids who want to specialize. Most people blew this test off and did not study. We were drained from the heart and lung test!!!

good luck!

2.) During Case D1 Fall you'll have these finals/tests:

a.) Health, Science and Society - a combo of community dentistry, intro to caries, and epidemiology...If I remember correctly, the final is 6-7 weeks into the semester.
b.) Foundations of Life Science - the basics of biochem, genetics, a tidbit of micro, etc...all classes and concepts you would have taken in undergrad...Taken 6 weeks after the end of HSS (above)
c.) ACE midterm - it deals with dentistry...including dealing with children, ergonomics, culture, mouth-guards, and sealants etc. A wide variety of easy, yet interesting things.
d.) Dental Anatomy wax-up competencies...timed wax-ups x 3
e.) Dental Anatomy practice tests..you still had to get 60%, though, to make sure you were keeping up with the EEEEENORMOUS amounts of info.

We had these finals during finals week (actually two weeks)

a.) Dental Anatomy
b.) DentSim
c.) Perio
d.) Heart and Lung
e.) ACE
f.) Facial Growth
g.) - Comprehensive exam. This consisted of everything I mentioned above. It is 90% essay, and mostly opinion. It is summative, which means there is no "grade"...We have not seen our grades and probably won't. I've heard, though, that they have been scored and will be considered for those top of the class kids who want to specialize. Most people blew this test off and did not study. We were drained from the heart and lung test!!!

good luck!

Thanks for the info. It sounds there are tons of things to do. :eek:

Let me end this topic by asking "Are some of these exams taken after lectures or self-teaching?"

Last edited:
Living in Cleveland seems to be exciting!!

Except for heavy snow, what are other bad things in Cleveland as a student? :confused:

What are good things? (Unique features?)

People seem not liking Cleveland.

What's wrong with this place?
--> A couple of people said "It's cleveland. You know what I mean?"

I don't understand what they mean.

Actually, are there any international students or Koreans staying in Cleveland now or before?

Let me know, so I can know more about Cleveland as a Korean international student!! :laugh:

so who wants to start the class of 2013 facebook group?

So is anyone else attending Case for sure? Seems like this year, there has been a good amount of people that got accepted. But haven't heard of many that decided on attending Case..?

Last edited:
i had a friend who got accepted there but ended up declining for another school

Has anyone heard anything from Case that has interviewed recently? I interviewed at the end of Jan and I will definitely be going if I get accepted, but no word yet!

I had my interview at the end of Jan, too. Adcom will meet again end of Feb and will make a final decision at the beginning of March according to secretary lady.

I had my interview at the end of Jan, too. Adcom will meet again end of Feb and will make a final decision at the beginning of March according to secretary lady.

that sounds right because for the 2nd round of acceptances, we had till feb 23rd or so to send in our deposit.

Looks like they started sending out more acceptances today!

I just got the waitlist letter, hopefully I can write a post here soon...

$950. 4 bedroom house for rent about 7 minutes from Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine. Functional dental wet lab in the basement! House has recently been updated. Rent includes water, sewage, and garbage removal. Large yard and field behind house. Quite neighborhood, very charming, right next to historic Forest Hills.

Within 3 minuted from movie theater, grocery stores, bookstore, workout facility, shopping; about 5 mintues from the infamous Coventry Rd.
Please email me for pictures.
Thanks!

Has anyone herd anything from Case Western? They had another committee meeting on March 30th. I am still waiting.....UGH:confused:

Hi everyone,
Congrats on your acceptance to Case! My fiance and I graduated in 2008 and will be moving from our respective places into a new home together.

I have a 1bed/1bath condo (with separate dining room and living room) furnished which is a 10min walk to Case located up the hill in the Ceder/Fairmount area. I lived there all four years of dental school.

My fiance's place is owned by his family and it's a duplex (other half is rented out to another family that's lived there for about 1.5yrs). His side is 4 bed/1bath (and a dental lab he built in the basement!) with a big back yard on a quiet street close to severance town center. It's about a 7 minute drive to the dental school.

Please PM me for details/photos if you're interested.
Thanks.

Hey everyone! So I just got accepted to Case Western a few days ago! I'm deciding between Case and my state school, so I wanted to know a bit more about the PBL hybrid program they're doing. I got a tour from a D4 student, so he didn't have any experiences to share about PBL. We stopped to talk to a D1 student about PBLs, but she seemed to have a pretty frustrated/unhappy attitude towards it. Faculty was, of course, very positive on the PBL program..... Just wondering if anyone else had heard more details or have experiences to share about what they think PBL is like. Does it prepare you adequately for the boards?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Any recent movement with Case? Waitlist? Acceptances?

Has any of you received info package from the school other than that they received your deposit?
I know other school sent info regarding mandatory health and immunization requirements so I was wondering if Case sent this stuff as well?

Has any of you received info package from the school other than that they received your deposit?
I know other school sent info regarding mandatory health and immunization requirements so I was wondering if Case sent this stuff as well?

I haven't heard of anything else yet, I received the odd email about setting up my Case ID etc, but not much else yet. Maybe they're waiting on people to send in proof of funding for their first year? I have to get that done before I can get a visa application.

I got the email too and I received my visa.
I don't want to bug Mr. Dalsky anymore so was hoping to find out here. I guess I will wait a bit more...

I haven't heard of anything else yet, I received the odd email about setting up my Case ID etc, but not much else yet. Maybe they're waiting on people to send in proof of funding for their first year? I have to get that done before I can get a visa application.

Accepted 6/5/09, Anybody has any info on good housing?

I have been waiting a LONG time (2yrs) to post something on here...I was accepted today off waitlist!!!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::clap::claps::claps:

Got call from David!!!

anyone received info on orientation? i think we are suppose to get info on this sometime in june?? right? wondering if i missed it or something...

anyone know that the vital ebook that we are getting is in a disc or something that we can install in different computers other than the laptop they are giving to us? i want to buy a different computer and was wondering if imac would be compatible to install this ebook...

Brian posted on the 2013 facebook page saying that he thought the info would go out this Monday, but he was waiting on something... I haven't seen anything yet either though.