2017 **Official Case Western Reserve Univ School of Dental Medicine DMD 2021 Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Official Thread for Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine for the entering class of 2017 / DMD Class of 2021. This thread is being monitored by director of admissions, Dr. Emil Chuck, so keep all conversations here as professional in tone.

Information for competitive applicants
  • Website for Dental school admissions
  • Email [email protected] is strongly preferred. We do NOT answer application questions by phone to maintain applicant confidentiality. In your email, include your name and AADSAS ID#. This information is needed to verify your identity and maintain applicant confidentiality.
  • Supplemental fee refunds will only be issued with an official email copy of an AADSAS Fee Waiver.
  • Any immediate "breaking news" will be sent from our Facebook and Twitter feeds. We have a Google+ page too.
  • Review of AADSAS verified/complete applications will begin with those applications for which all supplemental items have been received (fee, ALL letters of evaluation assigned by the applicant, desired DAT score). File review on incomplete applications or those applications with pending DAT scores will be suspended until all information has been received.
Links we expect all desirable applicants and interviewing candidates to have accessed
  • Presentation: Preparing to Apply
  • Webchat: Countdown to AADSAS 2015 recording. No AADSAS 2016 or 2017 recording. Periscope Twitter sessions to answer questions, including June 1, 2016.
  • Website to pay supplemental fee. Retain your transaction confirmation number as it will be requested to schedule an interview.
  • ADEA Predental Student Virtual Fair Booth with brochures and videos (registration required). Live chat day is Thursday, June 9, 2016.
  • ADEA GoDental has recorded a number of webinars recorded on YouTube.
  • Periscope/Twitter live Q&A sessions: occurring on Wednesdays around 3pm ET in the months of May, June, and July. Watch Twitter feed for more information.
  • Intended webchat for applicants with dental students: scheduled for Monday, September 5, 2016 (Labor Day).
Key approximate dates
  • First invitations for interview for AADSAS 2017: July (middle to end), 2016. We extend invitations for interview on a monthly basis or as convenient.
  • Expected first day of interviews for AADSAS 2016: Monday, August 15, 2016.
  • Expected AADSAS 2016 first offer date: Thursday, December 1, 2016.
  • Outstanding competing offers list released: April 1, 2017.
  • Expected last day of interviews for AADSAS 2016: April (mid), 2017.
  • First day of mandatory orientation: Monday, July 31, 2017.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi, do we pay the supplemental fee immediately after we e-submit the AADSAS application?

Members don't see this ad :)
See the hyperlinks in the section in post #1:
Hi, do we pay the supplemental fee immediately after we e-submit the AADSAS application?

See the hyperlinks above in post #1 under "Links we expect all desirable applicants and interviewing candidates to have accessed".

We appreciate your hard work on here Dr. Chuck!

ADEA GoDental Predental Student Virtual Fair today June 9, 2016, between 11am and 9pm ET.

Answering questions for CWRU SODM by chat room
11:00 am (8:00 am PT) Brian Sherman
2:00 pm (11:00 am PT) Brian Sherman
5:00 pm (2:00 pm PT) Emil Chuck
7:00 pm (4:00 pm PT) Emil Chuck

To applicants:

1) If you have applied for your Fee Assistance Program letter, please do NOT pay the supplemental fee. We will hold your application until you receive confirmation (positive or negative). We understand people want us to review applications as quickly as possible by paying the supplemental fee then requesting a refund. Rest assured, we monitor our process to be sure that delays minimally impact the applicant.

2) Many of you may have received confirmations that your application under "Verified" status has been received at other schools. We do not begin notifying applications until the application has a "Mailed" status. Other notifications will begin thereafter.

3) It is our intention to try to send out our invitations on a month-by-month basis beginning in mid-July for mid-August interview spots. No set date has been established but this is our target.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email today that my application is ready for screening! :)

Yes, we finally got our first group of mailed applications late Friday, so we are beginning the process of checking to be sure all applications are ready for screening. Hopefully we will get our first group of invitations approved next month for the August dates. Thank you for being patient, as we have many more months to go.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, we finally got our first group of mailed applications late Friday, so we are beginning the process of checking to be sure all applications are ready for screening. Hopefully we will get our first group of invitations approved next month for the August dates. Thank you for being patient, as we have many more months to go.
My application was marked as incomplete due to "Missing/Pending LOE". I emailed the admissions office ([email protected]) explaining to them that my university will only complete and upload my committee letter in early July. Will this hamper my chances?

My application was marked as incomplete due to "Missing/Pending LOE". I emailed the admissions office ([email protected]) explaining to them that my university will only complete and upload my committee letter in early July. Will this hamper my chances?

Institutional letters do help us streamline many people in the screening process, and the timing of receipt of these institutional letters do not negatively impact the process (as I've shown in a couple of presentations to predental clubs).

I wanted to let you know that the mobile app (yapp) is going to be discontinued. Recently Yapp has discontinued its free app builder, and considering how people have been using the app, I didn't feel it was worth getting a paid subscription. A new mobile app for DMD admissions will be constructed (again another free account for me) to help desirable and competitive applicants stay connected with CWRU School of Dental Medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else receive an email saying missing supplemental fee even if they paid it? I paid mine on 6/2 and have proof on my credit card statement. I must have deleted the email so have no confirmation number. I hope this works itself out. Called admissions and they said not much they can do without the confirmation number. :(

Anyone else receive an email saying missing supplemental fee even if they paid it? I paid mine on 6/2 and have proof on my credit card statement. I must have deleted the email so have no confirmation number. I hope this works itself out. Called admissions and they said not much they can do without the confirmation number. :(
The way we have to issue refunds, we need the confirmation/transaction number and match it with the ADEA AADSAS application number that you provided for us to initiate any refund process. That's why it is requested.

The way we have to issue refunds, we need the confirmation/transaction number and match it with the ADEA AADSAS application number that you provided for us to initiate any refund process. That's why it is requested.

I do not need a refund. I just want to be sure it was received so my app can forgo further processing. Is there anything I can do to get this done? What about a number for payment processing company?

Thanks! :)

I do not need a refund. I just want to be sure it was received so my app can forgo further processing. Is there anything I can do to get this done? What about a number for payment processing company?

Thanks! :)

If you paid, you'll note on the email noting that we don't (yet) have a record of your payment, we confirm payment manually so it may take us about 3 days to confirm. If you accurately typed in your ADEA AADSAS number, we will likely find it, but we have to read off a screen's worth of numbers, so it's not friendly to the eyes to find your payment.

If you paid, you'll note on the email noting that we don't (yet) have a record of your payment, we confirm payment manually so it may take us about 3 days to confirm. If you accurately typed in your ADEA AADSAS number, we will likely find it, but we have to read off a screen's worth of numbers, so it's not friendly to the eyes to find your payment.

Understood! Thank you for clarifying!

Hi Dr. Chuck!

I have this same question. Does it take three days after we have submitted the payment, or three days after you have received our application? I submitted the payment a little less than a month ago, but just got the email today that notified me my application had been received. How long should I wait to contact about whether or not you have my supplemental fee if I have not received notice that I am ready for screening?

Thanks!

Update: Today I got the email from Case saying that "The Office of Admissions acknowledges receipt of all materials required for beginning the screening process (verified ADEA AADSAS, supplemental fee, required letters of evaluation, DAT score)."

Hi! When should the first round of interview invites go out? Is there a date yet? Also, will these invites be for the first set of people whose applications were mailed out? Mine was first batch and I didn't know if this was like an interview invite or rejection type scenario. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@casedentalmed

Does Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 fulfill your dental program's biology prerequisite?

@casedentalmed

Does Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 fulfill your dental program's biology prerequisite?

While it technically can fulfill the biology prerequisite, we usually prefer the biology sequence noted by your health professions advising and/or biology office.

Due to concerns related to the Republican National Convention, the University will essentially be closed next week (see http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/07/case_western_reserve_under_fir.html ).

As a result, the Office of Admissions will be closed. Any calls made to the Office during this time will not be answered, so if you have questions, email [email protected] . We will try to be timely in responding to all inquiries made in that manner only. It is definitely important to review all other available materials regarding the application process, including the Prezi presentation ( ) on the timeline for applications, our entry in the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools, and the supplemental information instructions on ADEA AADSAS 2017.

For the admissions process, this will primarily affect the verification of receipt of pre-screening materials (supplemental fee/fee waiver verification and some letters of evaluation verification). Screening will likely continue but at a likely slower pace, but this could delay the initial delivery of invitations for interview. Our interview schedule however is expected to begin on time in mid-August.

Many applicants have acted on their own to visit and tour the campus, so be warned next week will not be convenient to do this.

We greatly appreciate the patience of all of our applicants under these circumstances.

Last edited:
Just wondering, can we expect initial delivery of interview invitations sometime next week?

Reactions: 1 users
Do all applicants receive the "Application under consideration for future interview" email?

I got that. Pretty sure it means we're waitlisted.

Just got one as well. Is this good or bad :unsure:?

Me too. Are we basically rejected?

Have they given out any interviews at all yet?

Guess Emil will clarify once he sees the thread.

I thought I made it clear in the letter. It went to everyone who has an application still in the screening phase. Read the first post on how we distribute interview invitations.

Hi Emil,

I just want to further clarify this. By still in the 'screening' phase, does that mean it's essentially a 'waitlist' email?

I thought I made it clear in the letter. It went to everyone who has an application still in the screening phase. Read the first post on how we distribute interview invitations.

I understand that part! But did everyone receive this email, even the people interviewing August 15th? Or is this for the students who won't be interviewing that date, but are still being screened?

So it's not a wait list? Perhaps it was just worded that way... Just clarifying!

Thanks!

Would also like clarification on whether this is something that every single applicant gets. Couldn't decipher from the "Interview Breakdown Schedule" thing.

I'm on Periscope. This is what is happening:

- There are a lot of really good applications, not all have been reviewed for feedback in order to extend interviews right now
- Invitations have been sent, so the ones that got that email it's basically a 'waitlist' but not really a waitlist
- They're still looking at applications

tl;dr - we're not first batch interviews, but we're not rejected. So keep an eye out next month and so on for the next interview invites.

Last edited:
Thanks for the periscope update, Dr. Chuck. Off to Olive Garden for some breadsticks!

If I haven't received an email at all, is that cause for concern?

Did you get the first email that your application was complete and is under review? If not, then maybe you don't have everything completed (supp. fee, off. DAT scores, etc...)?

Look, for what's it's worth, I'm proud of all of you! We got this. We just need to be a little patient and it'll all work out. Best of luck to us future dentists! We got this :)

Reactions: 3 users
And PM me if you need encouragement because I'm basically a God at giving pep talks!

Did you get the first email that your application was complete and is under review? If not, then maybe you don't have everything completed (supp. fee, off. DAT scores, etc...)?
Actually had a couple of people email me the same thing - maybe there are many in this boat - I will call/email tom to figure it out

I'm on Periscope. This is what is happening:

- There are a lot of really good applications, not all have been reviewed for feedback in order to extend interviews right now
- Invitations have been sent, so the ones that got that email it's basically a 'waitlist' but not really a waitlist
- They're still looking at applications

tl;dr - we're not first batch interviews, but we're not rejected. So keep an eye out next month and so on for the next interview invites.

Does this really lead to anywhere? Did they send real rejections at this point?

I received an interview invitation!

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.