*** Official CCOM Class of 2011 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

I talked to Student Services at MWU, and they said they would be mailing out our orientation packet in mid-June, so we should be getting them in a couple weeks. Just wanted to let y'all know!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

so have you all got your fin aid done? i just got my 'award' letter today. I'm really not getting awarded anything. $8K in unsub and $32K in sub... or the other way around i forget. Whichever is 'better' is the lesser amount.
But do they have scholarships at all or anything beneficial like that? just curious.

There actually is a page on the website of scholarships. I think most of them are for certain groups (concentration in family medicine, rural, military, minorities, etc). I think it says MWU offers some scholarships, but they're available after the first year.

Try this link
http://www.midwestern.edu/ccom/

Click finances and then fin aid

Hopefully we will get those packets pretty soon--im getting curious to see what all they send.

Anyone who is living on campus---do u know what time we are supposed to move in to their dorms on SAT 28 JULY 2007? B/c my contract just says that that is the last mailing until move in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it really matter to the school if I have an insurance with 80% coverage instead of 100% as long as I have an insurance???

Has everyone completed all of their immunization stuff and sent it in? I just finally did my Hep B Surface Antigen, because I had never had hep b so I had to do the series. They have everything else though. I also had a snafu with my transcript from UIC..I marked hold for degree, but they mailed it out ASAP, so I had to send a second one after my degree was posted.

I am heading on a family vacation on June 29th, then a cruise with my Mom and Sis after that, then it will be alomost time for school. I am very anxious to get started. Sometimes I wonder what I have gotten myself into.

I called Student Services yesterday...Our orientation packets will be sent next week. I can hardly wait to get some kind of new info.. I have read the website about a thousand times, searching fro something I have not seen yet..LOL.

Good Luck to those waiting for info about the waitlist!

Marcia

Hopefully we will get those packets pretty soon--im getting curious to see what all they send.

Anyone who is living on campus---do u know what time we are supposed to move in to their dorms on SAT 28 JULY 2007? B/c my contract just says that that is the last mailing until move in.

I thought the contract or some other letter mailed with it said that we have to check in sometime between 9 and 2 on the 28th. Check in, I think, is in Forest Lodge.

I'm planning to buy a new laptop for school. Does anyone (MSII feedback would be helpful) know if there are any disadvantages to using a mac at MWU? Are there any applications that ms students use that are not available for macs?

Also, I got a palm tx as a graduation gift. Are there any applications useful for MSI's I should consider buying now?

mdille2
your way ahead of the game compared to me. i was accepted in feb and just went in to the doc today and drew blood for the titers. I am going to be starting the hep B series still, but you're still in compliance as long as you have the first 2 of the series, bc the 3rd one cannot be administered until 5-6 months later.

mdille2
your way ahead of the game compared to me. i was accepted in feb and just went in to the doc today and drew blood for the titers. I am going to be starting the hep B series still, but you're still in compliance as long as you have the first 2 of the series, bc the 3rd one cannot be administered until 5-6 months later.

hahahha i had my titers drawn today too! i'm all poked out after a tetnus shot, 2 tb pokes, and the titers...luckily i work in the lab so all the fees for my bloodwork are waived..saving money wherever i can :p

So, I received the Orientation packet today and frankly it sounds like lot of work. :laugh: Anyone else feeling the same?? What's the deal with vision statement stuff?? Are we to do some kind of presentation??

So, I received the Orientation packet today and frankly it sounds like lot of work. :laugh: Anyone else feeling the same?? What's the deal with vision statement stuff?? Are we to do some kind of presentation??

Looks like it, and it also is "strongly suggested" that we read 3 books before class begins in order to be prepared...For What??? :scared:

It is all so real finally.

Marcia

Looks like it, and it also is "strongly suggested" that we read 3 books before class begins in order to be prepared...For What??? :scared:

Marcia

Read!? I'm in b/w moving from my school address/home address and another temp location and I can't remember which one I put down. Can anyone tell me which books were listed in the suggested reading and what the main gist of the packet is about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Read!? I'm in b/w moving from my school address/home address and another temp location and I can't remember which one I put down. Can anyone tell me which books were listed in the suggested reading and what the main gist of the packet is about?

1. The DO's: Osteopathic Mediicne in America by Norman Gevitz
2. The anatomy of Hope: how people previal in the face of Illness by Jerome Groopman.
3.The breakout principle by Herbert Benson

Wow...can't wait to check out this packet when i get home today :p

The activities they have planned look amazing. Kind of like a field trip over to the Art Institute should be good.

Pretty nice how we have 4 day a week classes (all half days) for the first month---also 3 exams.

Anyone know what CCOM's Psychiatry class is like since we will be concentrating on that for the first month???

Marcia

i wouldn't worry about the reading so much. it is only for our own general knowledge. it really makes absolutely no difference if you do it or not. its completely up to you.

Quick Questions:
1) Is there anyone monitoring this board who got into CCOM off the waiting list this year? If so, when were you notified? How were you notified?
2) If you can't answer the question above, have you heard of anyone getting off the list or know of a thread where they are discussing it?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldnt mind knowing some of the answeres to these quesions either. Ive been waiting and waiting, but have heard nothing. Also, nobody in the admissions department wants to tell me anything about waitlist movement.

Hey, do any of you know of any good rotations in ER/IM/psych/or surgery in Chicago?

I'm a 4th year at Nova looking to set up some electives in chicago and would really appreciate your input. thanks.:)

Hey, do any of you know of any good rotations in ER/IM/psych/or surgery in Chicago?

I'm a 4th year at Nova looking to set up some electives in chicago and would really appreciate your input. thanks.:)

hahah i dont even know where our core rotations are :p you might have better luck posting in the general osteopathic forum since most of us haven't even started first year here. just from my own personal knowledge, i'm very familiar with the Advocate hospitals in chicago...Christ, Illinois Masonic, and Lutheran General area all very welcoming to do away rotations there. http://www.advocatehealth.com/system/jobsedu/edu/residency/requirements.html may have more info..good luck!

I wouldnt mind knowing some of the answeres to these quesions either. Ive been waiting and waiting, but have heard nothing. Also, nobody in the admissions department wants to tell me anything about waitlist movement.

neuronick, any luck on the waitlist? i'd imagine things should be moving soon since orientation is in a month..keep us posted :)

Wow...can't wait to check out this packet when i get home today :p

Hey guys whats up? I haven't received the orientation packet yet, and I am getting anxious. What does the orientation schedule look like?

Hey guys whats up? I haven't received the orientation packet yet, and I am getting anxious. What does the orientation schedule look like?

Have you moved? I was freaking out too because I didn't get mine. I moved about a week and a half ago, and it never got forwarded to me. I went to Midwestern today to turn in my health paperwork, and the dean's office gave me all the orientation stuff. If you are in the area, you might want to stop by and pick it up yourself. My biggest fear was that I hadn't turned something in and I wasn't on the list for the Class of 2011. That would be so awful!

Change of topic: I remember hearing about the new dental school. Do they have their first class this year or is it next year? I know they said they may change the situation with free parking on campus once there are more students.

anyone starting to get nervous about starting school?!?! only a month away... its starting to become sooo real...

Change of topic: I remember hearing about the new dental school. Do they have their first class this year or is it next year? I know they said they may change the situation with free parking on campus once there are more students.

That's Glendale, AZ campus.

So I finally got my orientation packet today and read through the schedule for the first quarter and thought... wow, the schedule for med school isn't too bad at all... then I realized I was reading the schedule for the summer session and flipped the page. :D now that seems more like a medical school schedule:rolleyes:

My question: did everyone else get an orientation packet where the fall quarter schedule has a big watermark that says "DRAFT" across it?

So I finally got my orientation packet today and read through the schedule for the first quarter and thought... wow, the schedule for med school isn't too bad at all... then I realized I was reading the schedule for the summer session and flipped the page. :D now that seems more like a medical school schedule:rolleyes:

My question: did everyone else get an orientation packet where the fall quarter schedule has a big watermark that says "DRAFT" across it?

:laugh:
I did the exact same thing. I almost wish they had added a few more classes in August so that everything wouldn't be so crammed the rest of the quarter. The way the dean explained it to me, they were expanding the entire curriculum. That's not how it looks.

Yes, the fall schedule said "DRAFT."

Hey y'all. Has any else been having difficulty finding those recommended books in a store? I cannot seem to find any of them, so I'm wondering if they're widely read. The Osteopathic Medicine book looks interesting as we'll all be able to fully explain our profession.

I'm excited about using our Dean's advice to read, but I'd like to know just how good these books are from anyone who has read any part of them.

Hey y'all. Has any else been having difficulty finding those recommended books in a store? I cannot seem to find any of them, so I'm wondering if they're widely read. The Osteopathic Medicine book looks interesting as we'll all be able to fully explain our profession.

I'm excited about using our Dean's advice to read, but I'd like to know just how good these books are from anyone who has read any part of them.

the gevitz book is pretty interesting..i ordered mine off amazon.com ...try there, you can get them cheaper than borders usually :thumbup: can you believe in exactly one month all of us will be at orientation? :D

the gevitz book is pretty interesting..i ordered mine off amazon.com ...try there, you can get them cheaper than borders usually :thumbup: can you believe in exactly one month all of us will be at orientation? :D

Yeah, it's hard to believe that med school is just around the corner. It will definitely be demanding but fun. I'm looking forward to it.

I checked out the Groopman book on the Anatomy of Hope from the library, and it's really revealing. Apparently, Groopman tries to show how a hopeful patient's neurochemistry can better health. Seems pretty logical. If the Dean recommends these kinds of books for pleasure reading, then I'm sure our mandatory books will be even more interesting and relevant. Have fun reading and see you soon.

Hey y'all. This might sound kinda silly, but I was wondering if anyone was planning on bringing any old textbooks to use as a reference for our medical books. I know we're going to have Biochemistry, but I don't know just how much previous biochem we're expected to know before reading that medical biochem book. Therefore, does anyone think it is unnecessary to bring any college-level, foundational books?

I'm am looking forward to meeting you all later this month. Summer is not over yet though!

Hey y'all. This might sound kinda silly, but I was wondering if anyone was planning on bringing any old textbooks to use as a reference for our medical books. I know we're going to have Biochemistry, but I don't know just how much previous biochem we're expected to know before reading that medical biochem book. Therefore, does anyone think it is unnecessary to bring any college-level, foundational books?

I'm am looking forward to meeting you all later this month. Summer is not over yet though!

Hi DoctorWas,
I highly doubt we are going to be using any undergrad books for biochem. If you want to get a head start, MWU uses and recommends Lippincotts Biochemistry and it is quite detailed. You won't need any undergrad biochem to understand it. However, talking to some of the M1 and M2 students, I highly doubt we will be reading this book but will use it more as a reference guide. The notes provided for the course are sufficient and there is not enough time during the course to finish the Lippincott book.
Looking forward to meeting you all....................

Can any of you PM me the proposed schedule for the Fall ASAP?

CCOM called me (left a message) telling me I was accepted off the waitlist and I am trying to figure out if I want to take the acceptance. I am accepted to DCOM right now and I love the school, but I haven't seen the changes CCOM made to the curriculum, so I can't make the most informed decision right now. My goal is to get a residency in the Chicagoland area, so CCOM seems like a perfect fit, but I love DCOM and what it has to offer, so my head is kinda spinning right now. :oops:

Thanks!

anyone out there living off campus

how much are you guys spending on rent? I can't find anything under $900 + utilities. ouch.

You dont need to know much coming in. The stuff isnt hard to grasp, there is just a lot of it. The notes have everything you need to know but Lippincotts is a good reference some of the time, although I only used it 4 or 5 times to look at a pathway in more detail. Really, you wont use many books except Netter and the Histo atlas. Most of the other ones are worthless because our notes are so good. Opening another book for a reference is basically a waste of time.

So I was checking my online account and i was shocked to see Health Insurance for 1 yr at MWU. $3229/year?? Unfortunately my application for BCBS of IL was denied so I think I am stuck with buying school's insurance. Can anyone suggest other options, other insurance companies I should apply to? well, one requirement for waiver is that the individual insurance should be nationally recognised and I believe Humana is not. Any thoughts????

just a few more weeks till orientation!:) i went to office max this weekend and got stocked up on pens and highlighters :p

anyone soon to be living at twin lake towers? i just put in my application.

So I was checking my online account and i was shocked to see Health Insurance for 1 yr at MWU. $3229/year?? Unfortunately my application for BCBS of IL was denied so I think I am stuck with buying school's insurance. Can anyone suggest other options, other insurance companies I should apply to? well, one requirement for waiver is that the individual insurance should be nationally recognised and I believe Humana is not. Any thoughts????

How do you access your online account? Is it through interact now?

If anyone ends up getting a place at Yorktown II let me know. There is a $500 referral award that I would love to share.

If anyone ends up getting a place at Yorktown II let me know. There is a $500 referral award that I would love to share.

You shoudl have spoke sooner... what floor are you living on? I'm moving in next friday