>>>>>>Official DMU Class of 2009<<<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys....

here's our group email address (I think):

[email protected]

Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone.

I just wanted to pass on some information that my Dr. recommended to me. For those of you interested in Family Practice, there is the American Academy of Family Physicians who apparently hosts a yearly student/resident conference with all sorts of events and several residency programs present.

I know it seems a bit early, but I thought I'd put the word out there for any of you interested in going. I'm going to try for it... if I can find someone to split the cost of lodging with me. (Hint, hint!) It turns out this year they are holding the conference in Kansas City from July 27-30.

http://www.aafp.org/x26565.xml

I didn't want to use the group email (thanks, though Mzafaran!) lest I be deemed a spammer. :)

Any of you future DMUers in Seattle? I flew out here for a wedding on Thursday night and am heading back on the redeye tomorrow night. I've pretty much exhausted the list of things to do on the waterfront (I'm staying at the Edgewater hotel) and was looking for ways to keep myself occupied tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Old_Mil said:
Any of you future DMUers in Seattle? I flew out here for a wedding on Thursday night and am heading back on the redeye tomorrow night. I've pretty much exhausted the list of things to do on the waterfront (I'm staying at the Edgewater hotel) and was looking for ways to keep myself occupied tomorrow.

Hey Old Mil! I'm in Puyallup, WA. Wish I'd've seen this earlier... I was just up in Seattle with some friends tonight. Sunday all I'm going to do is household stuff... and my boyfriend and I are going to make the rounds at our rentals to collect rent and talk to tenants... in Tacoma. If you want to come along, you're welcome!

Alternately, I would recommend checking out the Space Needle... the Pacific Science Center... if you like different cultures you'll get a kick out of the children's museum there at the Pacific Science center... you can go up to the UW (my alma mater) and walk around campus... it's a beautiful campus... and I"m not sure if the cherry trees are still in bloom, but if they are, they're an impressive site. I always like visiting South Campus where the med school is... it's so inspiring... :)

PM me if you'd like to get together or if you'd like some more ideas...

Olga

Sunday is May 1. I think we have a deposit or something to have in by then. :sleep: :idea:

Howdy fellow classmates, I haven't posted since....oh the first page of this long thread I guess. Anyhow, my wife and I have purchased a town house over in West Des Moines off Jordan Creek, anyone else living there from our class? I think there are like 5 left in that development. The builder is Triton homes and they are good quality homes and spacious, cheaper than renting too, if you get a 5 year intrest only Adjustable Rate Mortgage loan, with the idea that you will move after 4 years anyhow before the adjustment in intrest rate. Plus that area of Des Moines has been growing for 10 years, good investment when time to sell I reckon. Anyhow, just checking...

See you all in a couple months!

bigdreamer#1 said:
Howdy fellow classmates, I haven't posted since....oh the first page of this long thread I guess. Anyhow, my wife and I have purchased a town house over in West Des Moines off Jordan Creek, anyone else living there from our class? I think there are like 5 left in that development. The builder is Triton homes and they are good quality homes and spacious, cheaper than renting too, if you get a 5 year intrest only Adjustable Rate Mortgage loan, with the idea that you will move after 4 years anyhow before the adjustment in intrest rate. Plus that area of Des Moines has been growing for 10 years, good investment when time to sell I reckon. Anyhow, just checking...

Congrats on your new purchase! My girlfriend and I looked at those particular units as well...they were great! We ended up purchasing a town home in Urbandale, very near to the border of Urbandale and West Des Moines! We're excited, as I am sure you and your wife are!

Time is gonna fly by, and before we know it...we're going to be wishing our first two years were over! ;)

See ya' soon!

J.

bigdreamer#1 said:

Hello! You've picked a nice area of town to buy in. With the mall and all the development going on over there, it would seem as if the Jordan Creek area is going to be an ever more popular place in Des moines...just make sure you have a little breathing room with that ARM since interest rates are currently adjusting upward and the last guidance from the Fed is that they aren't done raising rates yet. Congratulations!

Well, I've got an apartment...it's at 3333 Grand in Windsor Terrace. This will keep me from having to make the hour fifteen commute in to DMU and home every day.

Anyone else going to be around that area?

I will be your neighbor, I have an apartment at the Imperial. When will you be moving here? I will be here all summer, so let me know if you need help moving or anything. I'm not very strong though... :D

Old_Mil said:
Well, I've got an apartment...it's at 3333 Grand in Windsor Terrace. This will keep me from having to make the hour fifteen commute in to DMU and home every day.

Old_Mil said:

I'll be in the DM area in the coming weeks looking for an apartment and Windsor Terrace is on my list. What can you tell me about the place?

What up everyone! I'm planning to move to the area around mid July, unless something crazy happens. Home will be at 3000 Grand Apts for the next year or so.

Old_Mil said:
Hello! You've picked a nice area of town to buy in. With the mall and all the development going on over there, it would seem as if the Jordan Creek area is going to be an ever more popular place in Des moines...just make sure you have a little breathing room with that ARM since interest rates are currently adjusting upward and the last guidance from the Fed is that they aren't done raising rates yet. Congratulations!

Thanks Old-Mil. Yeah your right about the Fed raising. But we really plan on getting out in Four years either to a new home or a new city, depending on where residency takes me? We would never get the 5 ARM if we didn't intend on getting out. Your right on track with what I'm thinking about the Jordan Creek area, it's growing like silly, I'm banking on a good investment return on this place...at worst we break even and paid cheaper monthy payments than renting for the 4 years! Looking forward to meeting you, I'm military also of course and a bit older than traditional starting students... Have fun at the Terrace, it's a solid location as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to disturb you guys/gals, but I have the dreaded number question. I am applying this cycle and really want to go to DMU. If you all are comfortable, can you post your GPA/MCAT and what is unique about you that makes DMU pick you over other candidates? You can also PM me you if you'd like. Thanks a lot for those who respond. Again, sorry to interject.

My numbers:
Overall: 3.45
Science: 3.48
MCAT: to be revealed this coming June

CR7 said:
I'll be in the DM area in the coming weeks looking for an apartment and Windsor Terrace is on my list. What can you tell me about the place?

I went to Windsor Terrace during my apartment hunting...although I don't remember which place it was...so I'll have to look at the brochure and then I'll replay again with what I though...just got to refresh my memory!!

J

P.S. I'm outta town until Sunday...so it'll be after that sometime!

FutureDocDO said:
Sorry to disturb you guys/gals, but I have the dreaded number question. I am applying this cycle and really want to go to DMU. If you all are comfortable, can you post your GPA/MCAT and what is unique about you that makes DMU pick you over other candidates? You can also PM me you if you'd like. Thanks a lot for those who respond. Again, sorry to interject.

My numbers:
Overall: 3.45
Science: 3.48
MCAT: to be revealed this coming June

First off...good choice on wanting to go to DMU! ;) Yeah...I'm a little biased, but I believe it's a good choice nonetheless.

Your GPA numbers look fine, mine were around the same. Doing well on the MCAT will help, but don't fret, what's done is done. My score was a 30.

I'm not sure exactly what they look for in an applicant...but from what I can tell from speaking with and meeting other DMU students, they're all pretty laid back, neat people. All of them have done things (other than just college) prior to entering med school (eg. other careers, traveling etc.).

Just remember, scores aren't everything, make sure your application accurately advertises other things that sets you apart!

Good luck, and hopefully see you on campus sometime in the future!

Cheers

:thumbup:

J

CR7 said:

Well, it's an apartment complex built around a grassy "quad". The buildings themselves are older, but (at least the unit I am going to have) the interiors are newer than the exteriors would lead you to believe. Covered parking is available, and the best part is that it's right across Grand from the new building at DMU. I'll be able to get up in the morning and walk to class - no shoveling the driveway, finding parking, fighting through construction zones.

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted around here for a while but wanted to stop in and say hello and share a bit of news. I got such a great feel for DMU and all of you through this forum and so I'm kind of sad to say that I won't be attending DMU after all. I just received an acceptance to my provincial med school (University of British Columbia) and for so many reasons it makes WAY more sense for me to attend ($$, family, future practice in Canada, etc). I am a bit bummed that I won't be trained in OMM but hey, maybe I'll take one of those post-grad courses some day. I will continue to spread the word in Canada about osteopathic medicine.

Best of luck to all of you! I have no doubt that you will get a top-notch education at DMU

Cheers,
thatuvicguy

Hey Uvicguy,

Congratulations! Sorry we won't be seeing you down here in Des Moines...but going to medical school in one of Canada's nicest provinces has its perks no doubt.

Enjoy your time there (I'm going to be riding through there by motorcycle in July on my way to High River, Alberta).

Hey guys..

does anybody know what alternatives we have as far as health insurance coverage? I can manage to get even better coverage directly from wellmark for the same price that the school is charging, so I don't know what's the deal with that. What are you guys doing? It seems like the school is cashing in on the insurance plans just like the way they do with lending the loans.

mzafaran said:
Hey guys..

does anybody know what alternatives we have as far as health insurance coverage? I can manage to get even better coverage directly from wellmark for the same price that the school is charging, so I don't know what's the deal with that. What are you guys doing? It seems like the school is cashing in on the insurance plans just like the way they do with lending the loans.

I have coverage through Wellmark independent of the school and probably will leave it that way.

Hey guys,

Boards for us DO-07's are on the 7th and 8th of June.

While I languish away here preparing for what is sure to be a challenging exam, I wonder about the post boards celebrations.

I'll be in town after boards until 1Aug when I go on my pilgrimage down the East Coast starting in Maine (I'M EXCITED).

I'm hoping to help my brain in it's quest to kill my liver during the interim...well, at least swap the balance a bit.

I wouldn't mind doing some "I'm so excited to get into medical school" partying with DO-09'ers, too.....

:)

Portier said:
Hey guys,

While I languish away here preparing for what is sure to be a challenging exam, I wonder about the post boards celebrations.

I'll be in town after boards until 1Aug when I go on my pilgrimage down the East Coast starting in Maine (I'M EXCITED).

I'm hoping to help my brain in it's quest to kill my liver during the interim...well, at least swap the balance a bit.

I wouldn't mind doing some "I'm so excited to get into medical school" partying with DO-09'ers, too.....

:)

Hey Portier!

Count me in! I'm always down for a good drink!

Cheers!

[email protected]

J.

:thumbup:

Hey, I am gonna be in town next week (30th and 31st) to do some apartment shopping and I was thinking of using metroapartment hunters. After not getting a real reply after going through their website, I called their number and it almost sounded like they are not doing any rental assistance right now. Has anyone else used it?

Maybe i should just do things by myself, but that seemed easier. How did those who are already set up do it?

rjfreed said:
Hey, I am gonna be in town next week (30th and 31st) to do some apartment shopping and I was thinking of using metroapartment hunters. After not getting a real reply after going through their website, I called their number and it almost sounded like they are not doing any rental assistance right now. Has anyone else used it?

Maybe i should just do things by myself, but that seemed easier. How did those who are already set up do it?

My girlfriend and I just went down one weekend and drove around to all the different apartments in the area we wanted to live in. We particularly wanted to live in the Clive/West Des Moines/Urbandale area...so we went online (go to a site such as www.rent.com) and looked up all the apartments in that area. Most of them are open on Saturday's from 10-4/5/6! It was fairly easy!

Good luck!

J

rjfreed said:

Being a swinging bachelor, I chose the apartment closest to the school....I also don't have any foibles about creature comforts....

I suggest staying close to the school if you have a choice (gym access, printing access, library access, etc.). Close to school middle class places are:
1) Imperial
2) Windsor Terrace
3) Grand Prix
4) 42nd and Grand (can't remember the name) East Des Moines

Higher Rent
1) 3000 Grand
2) Anything in West Des Moines...you have to add in commute gas money....

FYI, the school is in East Des Moines, and lots of the newer stuff is in West Des Moines....East Des Moines streets go up to 63rd, then start over going into West Des Moines with 1st street.....

The interstate is also FOOOOOOOOCKED up right now...easier to walk than take that messy calle.....

2)

East Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddeeeeeee
It's not really called East Des Moines, Just that West Des Moines doesn't have a counterpart. East of Des Moines is totally ghetto
Portier said:
Being a swinging bachelor, I chose the apartment closest to the school....I also don't have any foibles about creature comforts....

I suggest staying close to the school if you have a choice (gym access, printing access, library access, etc.). Close to school middle class places are:
1) Imperial
2) Windsor Terrace
3) Grand Prix
4) 42nd and Grand (can't remember the name) East Des Moines

Higher Rent
1) 3000 Grand
2) Anything in West Des Moines...you have to add in commute gas money....

FYI, the school is in East Des Moines, and lots of the newer stuff is in West Des Moines....East Des Moines streets go up to 63rd, then start over going into West Des Moines with 1st street.....

The interstate is also FOOOOOOOOCKED up right now...easier to walk than take that messy calle.....

2)

AwesomeO-DO said:
East Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddeeeeeee
It's not really called East Des Moines, Just that West Des Moines doesn't have a counterpart. East of Des Moines is totally ghetto

East of Des Moines is ghetto, but you can get kick ass Thai, Mexican, and Indain food out there....if you have a rx for cipro!

rjfreed said:

I used it about three months ago. we drove down to dm and set up an appt. and whatever with constance, the only staff employed there. her office was on ingersoll. was being the operative word. we went down again about two weeks ago and after calling and e-mailing, we went in person to her office. it was empty! we asked the office next to her what had happened and they said she works from home now. we gave someone our info to forward to her, but we never heard word.
Otherwise, i posted prolly 5 pages ago a list of apts. recommended by DMU students. If you don't wanna browse for it, go to your my.dmu.edu-->Moving to Des Moines-->right on the top of the block in lavender is the very same list. Good luck!

also, you can browse a website of Venture Management www.venturellc.com . They have a host of apts. available. some mentioned in the above posts are theirs. later.

Portier said:

Speak the truth, he does.

I had thought that by this point in time things would be getting better, not worse. They're worse. I don't know how long it's going to be before 235 returns to normal, but right now even the 31st street exit/bridge (the one for DMU) is gone/closed.

Just wondering... :D how many of those accepted and are going to DMU are from Utah...?

I am one.

Any others? :p

Portier said:
Hey guys,

:)[/QUOT

grabby handsmcportier, I will also be here, so perhaps we will have to show the new first years how handle their med school problems through your ever popular gin and tonics

Eiko said:
Just wondering... :D how many of those accepted and are going to DMU are from Utah...?

I am one.

Any others? :p

Traditionally we have many BYU grads at DMU. When they open that Pacific Northwest School.....that my change.

Will we be seeing chopstiks during pre-orientation?

Cremaster said:
Grabby handsmcportier, I will also be here, so perhaps we will have to show the new first years how handle their med school problems through your ever popular gin and tonics

I'm sure you meant "Grabbyhand McPortier" and not that doggerl you typed up there.

And, FYI...if you go to the Embassy club for an official school function and ask for a Gin and Tonic you should ask for a glass of tonic water on the side to thin it out with so you don't say, "No, you didn't" when the Chair of the Board of Trustees says, "I used to date Ms Ohio."

Portier said:
Traditionally we have many BYU grads at DMU. When they open that Pacific Northwest School.....that my change.

Will we be seeing chopstiks during pre-orientation?

Yep! :D

This is just a pointless post to tell all of you that I just got back from the dentist, and my face is numb. +pity+

hi all,

anyone have a spouse/sig. other relocating with you to des moines? my fiancee is desperately trying to find a job (general business, HR, sales, etc) but is having some difficulty. wondering what your sig. others job prospects look like.

thanks for the assistance!

Hey all,

I am a 2nd year and have a house located 2 miles from school. I have 2 bedrooms availble for rent. PM me if you are interested.

Hey guys, for personal reasons I'm going to defer a year. Good luck with everything this fall and I'll contact y'all next year!! :)

Old_Mil said:
This is just a pointless post to tell all of you that I just got back from the dentist, and my face is numb. +pity+

at least you have dogs....

+pity+

lets also not forget the pink palace aka 500 31st street. With in easy walking distance of school and crawling distance of Zimms and Wellmans. :D ;) :D

Hey everyone...

My license tabs are due for renewal in a few weeks here... which brings me to some questions I'm sure some of you have already started to ponder. Any ideas/suggestions?

1. I hear Iowa has horribly high license tab fees... is it possible to maintain out of state tabs on one's car? My address in WA will still be good since I own and my daughter will be renting from me. My mail will still be coming here. Does the school require that I have Iowa tabs on my car?

2. If I get WA tabs, how does that affect insurance? Should I keep my WA insurance, or is it necessary to get ins. in Iowa? My ins. company services the NW exclusively, no service in Iowa.

3. My drivers license expires next year... is there a problem with my renewing it in WA?

Along these lines, how do 3rd and 4th years tackle these issues when they're rotating all over the US?

Thanks!

Olga

Hi Olga...

By the iowa law, if you're residing in Iowa for education, then you're not considered a "resident" of Iowa, therefore you cannot get a Iowa license plate for your car. I was told the same rule applies for your driver's license. I'm keeping my california license plate & driver's license. It'd be nice one of the current DMU students could comment on this.

Personally they would have to pull my California lic from my cold dead hands if they wanted me to change to an Iowa plate. This however was not an issue, as soon as I updated my insurance my new address was given to the DMV and they automatically sent me a renewal, no hassle just pay the man and bam! I have california plates registered at an Iowa address.

Olga, as far as your insurance goes I would drop that company if they wont insure you in any other state. I use Geico and had no problem with the move. I don't know what you pay but coming from California to Iowa my insurance dropped by half!

Thousandth said:
Olga, as far as your insurance goes I would drop that company if they wont insure you in any other state. I use Geico and had no problem with the move. I don't know what you pay but coming from California to Iowa my insurance dropped by half!

oooooooooh..this feels so good to know :) I have American Express/Costco and they too have nationwide coverage.

Dang it! I wanted to switch to Iowa residency; the taxes are cheaper +pity+. Utah taxes are so... :eek: evil. :barf:Can I whine now, or should I wait until I get to Iowa to cry, whine, and complain :p .

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Hey, when are these parties going on? I'm going to be in Des Moines on June 30th... parties sound very good... :D Yes parties very good :love:

I may be wrong, but even if you are only here for education you can still change all of your stuff over to IA if you'd like (especially if you're moving a whole family for example), but most of those laws usually apply for things like going to state schools as an IA resident etc.....which most of those will not be your problem........The bottom line is if you're a student you can maintain residency in whatever state you come from, but I don't think that you HAVE to

I've got another question for the fellow '09ers. For those that needed an alternative loan, did you use wells fargo like the school suggests, or did you go elsewhere? The dmu portal makes it seem like they are a good choice. Is it just easier with them, or do we get a better deal, too?

This site tells the requirements Iowa has for establishing residecny... easy stuff... they're easier than Utah and Nevada.

http://www.dot.state.ia.us/mvd/ods/newresidents.htm#Proof of Identity

You are considered an Iowa resident for the purposes of driver licensing and vehicle registration when you have done at least one of the following:

Filed for a homestead tax exemption on property in Iowa.
As a veteran, you have filed for a military tax exemption on property in Iowa.
Registered to vote in Iowa.
Enrolled children to be educated in a public elementary or secondary school in Iowa.
Qualified for and are receiving public assistance from Iowa.
You have accepted employment or engage in any trade, profession, or occupation within this state.
You have resided or have continuously remained in this state for a period exceeding thirty days except for infrequent or brief absences.
Acceptable items to certify your Iowa residency include:

Iowa voter registration card.
An Iowa vehicle registration certificate.
Utility bill showing 30 days of residency.
A statement from an Iowa financial institution showing 30 days of residency.
Rental or lease agreement showing 30 days of residency.
Pay check or pay stub from an Iowa employer.
Children's school enrollment papers.
Documentation showing a filing for homestead or military tax exemption on property in Iowa.
Other items will be reviewed by licensing personnel.

rjfreed said:
I've got another question for the fellow '09ers. For those that needed an alternative loan, did you use wells fargo like the school suggests, or did you go elsewhere? The dmu portal makes it seem like they are a good choice. Is it just easier with them, or do we get a better deal, too?

I am getting all of my loans with https://www.theloanprogram.org. There are absolutely no fees. If you choose school as your lender for federal loans there will be some fees. Also, you don't get as much incentives. DMU claims that these gains help the school offer various scholarships. :rolleyes:

As far as wellsfargo...having worked for them, customer satisfaction is the last thing on their "to-do" list..trust me on this. Compare their loan to Northstar, and you'll be on your way to save big time.

I have the following "stuff" that you might want....these are only for DMU'ers that can physically come pick them up from me at school or something....

1) Anatomy "Bag": Contains a Netter's (dirty from cadavers), a disection kit (probe scissors, etc), gloves, and maybe something else. I don't know because I won't open it. Netter's alone is like 60 or 80? The kit is another 15-20...gloves around 10 bucks. You can have it all for $35

2) DeArmond Neuroanatomy Atlas (I have 2 of these, so I'm selling 1): I think they run at 40 or 50....yours for $20

3) Patestas Neuroanatomy Board Review Book (I have 2, so I'm selling 1): This was like 20-30...yours for $15

4) Janeway Immunology Text 4th Edition. The current version is the 5th edition, but this one is still pretty good. I'll part with it for $10

5) Nolte Neuroanatomy Text and Study Guide third edition. The current edition is 4th. I'll part with this for $15

6) J and S Publishing Company Anatomy and Physiology Board Review Books. These are pretty good...have q's and a's. Good to guide your 1st year studies. Both books for $20

7) Robert M. Berne Case Studies in Physiology...another board review style book good to guide your studies. Yours for 10 bucks

First come first served...PM me to buy.