Official:Georgetown SMP Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
aside from raw ambition, skills, and will power, what separates those who get Bs from those who get A-s?

Essentially the point difference between these grades is in some classes only a few points. Literally in one class the difference was 3 questions. What separates these people? Everything you listed above and largely test taking ability. That is the ability to take multiple choice tests.

since 85% to 90% of all students eventually end up in medical school, does that mean even with a B average in the smp program one is a competitive candidate? where do students with B averages end up?

Well we are told this by the administrators and the numbers speak for themselves so I'd have to say yes. Now, that being said if you come here you are coming to prove something. In my mind you should not be getting all B's if you are trying to prove that you can excel in this environment. These are the students who end up at that large list of schools on the front page. In each class generally there are only 15% A's... In our first medical school course of the year 60% of the students got B's... That is almost everyone, and yet still the percentage acceptances to schools holds true.

what are the reasons some of the people fail out of smp program? how much of a support and safety net is provided for smp students?

No one really fails out of the SMP program. Some people withdraw, and 1 or 2 people may "fail" a class or two but you really don't need to worry about failing. If you come to class, aren't stupid and study a couple hours you can get a B. You will be shocked at how easy it is to get a pass in medical school. Kinda scary actually. That being said, there is a huge support system with the administrators. They are always willing to help out in anyway they can if you are struggling.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I had a quick question, do you know if the personal statement has to be 500 words and under? Mine is around 550. The website also says no more than a page so I'm a little confused! Thanks.

Also, I took some college classes while I was in high school. Should I incorporate those grades into my BCPM GPA? and my overall undergraduate GPA? Thanks guys!

I am currently toying with the idea of applying for the class of 2009 right now, I had put it off because of other life plans (that all fell through.)

My stats are 32Q, 3.1 GPA cum (first 4 semesters was 2.4 avg:eek:) from UW-Madison.
A fair amount of EC's, EMT-I in NC, 2nd author paper in AJP. Currently attending paramedic school.

I think this SMP program might be right for me. It also sounds like it might not be too late to apply either!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I wouldn't quite be done with medic school yet. It is ALOT of hours to do so, 1000+ hrs just to get the credential. Fortunately I am the top student in my class, so my instructor is lenient and may allow me to "push" through my class time quicker.

Truthfully, an EMT-P isn't much different from an EMT-I. You just get to use more and bigger needles, push lots more drugs, and run a good 12 lead.

I certainly wish I prioritized my schoolwork better during undergrad. I was stuck on the fine-line where I didn't get financial aid, but my family (single mom) couldn't help me either, so I ended up working 30+ hrs/week through school. Live and learn, I suppose.

I will be submitting my app by early next week. I already have a completed AMCAS app so it won't take long to type up a good "knock-out" personal statement. Keep you all posted! :thumbup:

I will be exclusively studying SMP stuff, no other class or work involved. The SMP is already a "second-chance" program, I don't think there are anymore chances after that.

The personal statement is coming along nicely. Fortunately my AMCAS application is still present online so that will be simplifying things.

If my application is successful I will be putting my nose to the gridstone NONSTOP!

Alright, hope this clears the air:

Yes, I have a previously submitted AMCAS, . I am merely writing another PS to go with the .pdf of my AMCAS. I wanted it to include what I have been doing since the past Aug., and my time in EMS as an ALS provider has given me some insights I wanted included in my app.

I am working with my medic instructor to see how I can get the program wrapped up a little early. FYI, the medic class is a 1000+ hr, 1-year program, and it finishes at the end of Aug.

I can already state that the G-town admissions staff are very friendly and helpful, in contrast to that of many med schools. I believe that bodes well for a good program.

Application was submitted today!

For those currently in the program, how are you guys financing the costs of applying to med school? Mostly loans or previously saved up money?

Hey everyone.

I was just hoping for some honest feedback. I applied to the smp program and was complete a week ago.

I have a 3.0 overall, 2.8 amcas sci gpa nad 23P MCAT.

Been rejected from all MD schools (no shock there) and a good handful of post baccs.

Thoughts? Thanks.

minimum MCAT for the georgetown SMP is 27. I don't think that the georgetown smp would happen until you got that up above the cutoff

How long did it take for everyone's app to be processed? Mine is submitted but I haven't heard anything back yet.... for some reason, I am feeling really impatient.

It is also nice to apply to something were there is indeed a remote chance of it being a successful application. What a redeeming feeling....

Also, to contribute to the prior discussion, these programs are targeted towards bad GPA/good MCAT, not vice-versa.

Personally, I would rather have a good GPA and bad MCAT, in terms of which one is easier to "fix."

Hey all, I just got accepted into Georgetown's SMP but I got a couple of questions. I applied to EVMS's program as well and right now that seems to be my best option since my objectives are to: 1)Get into medical school, 2) Get into medical school ASAP (I'm not willing to pay another 36k for a 2nd year in a Masters program).
Ideally I would REALLY like to get into a California medical school, but I have a 33P and a 3.1/3.3; BCPM/Overall. My question is, Georgetown students have a 50% Matriculation rate into medical school the first year. Is this because Georgetown accepts qualified students for medical school (ie. Someone with a 3.5 Gpa and a 30+ MCAT), who would have otherwise been accepted into medical school without help from a Masters program? Because I've read previously that the first semester at Georgetown doesn't really bear any weight on an applicants record, and that is the only improvement that adcoms might be able to see, other than a person's undergrad record. I know there's a lot of these questions around here :laugh: but I guess what I am wondering is if I'll need to cough up another 36k for my 2nd year at Georgetown

what makes the poster think that the SMP is a 2 year program? "36k for my 2nd year at Georgetown" ? what does this even mean